Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2019 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I like the way this storytelling is focused on young Thorfinn for now and developing him as a character along aside others.

We got to see more of the world in this show and more of the character duties. They even adapted some of the scenes when the kids were fooling around (from chapter 6). More lighthearted compared to the first episode but very entertaining.

Pretty weapon Thorfinn discovered there.
Jul 7, 2019 9:12 AM

Jan 2019
Good to you guys that you've alrady seen 2 episodes. :D I have to wait for the officialy release and +1-2 days for subtitles. :/
Merciful lies or painful truth?
Jul 7, 2019 10:13 AM

Oct 2017
Momentay said:
Good to you guys that you've alrady seen 2 episodes. :D I have to wait for the officialy release and +1-2 days for subtitles. :/

No you won't. Episode 1 and 2 are already out and third will be here within the hour
Jul 7, 2019 10:32 AM

Sep 2014
So, we got the biggest bastard Floki along with the best dude Askeladd here. Floki threatened Thors to join the war the Jomsvikings are going with the Danes otherwise the village would be in danger while at the same time he paid Askeladd to assassinate him. The pacing overall is pretty great and I think it was the best deciosion to start the series with the flashbacks. Fits better in terms of storytelling and how Thorfinn's character is developing.
MonkeyDHunterJul 7, 2019 10:42 AM
Jul 7, 2019 10:57 AM

May 2016
That Flooki guy used to be quite friendly 15 years ago now he like a thug and those Soldiers were quite intimidating.

that fool trying to act cool before the war wonder if he will piss his pants on the battlefield. 5/5
Jul 7, 2019 11:02 AM

Jun 2014
I do like how they decided to adapt the first chapters, it makes things flow better in the anime and it makes it slightly less confusing. Thors is a wonderful character and his wisdom will be felt throughout the entire series.

The visuals continue to be superb, the voice acting and the music are perfect, I'm so thankful to see Vinland Saga come to life like this. The adaptation is honestly magical so far, it's rare to see your favorite manga series getting adapted this well.

And my body wasn't ready to see Askeladd animated, he's an iconic character for me. The voice actor they got for him also helps.
:3
Jul 7, 2019 11:03 AM

Aug 2013
So Floki wants to kill Thors, What a bastard. Good episode overall.

Jul 7, 2019 11:12 AM

Feb 2017
We are introduced to the scheming Floki and everyone's favorite Askeladd. Throfinn is really eager to fight.
Jul 7, 2019 11:29 AM
Aug 2016
Damn! That was a better episode, compared to the previous one, but still lacking in any fighting or brutality. Also, the animation was top notch, as usual. Let's hope that there'll be some fighting in the next episode. 4/5
Jul 7, 2019 11:51 AM

Dec 2014
Damn, I am so tempted to read the manga after I finish watching these 3 episodes. This is nothing short of stellar, it's exciting, gripping and very compelling.

Thors is a great character, I'm scared that he might die because of Floki's plot. :(

Thorfin and the rest of the icelanders are gonna learn what real battle means soon. :(
So not ready for what's about to come.
Jul 7, 2019 12:09 PM

Mar 2017
It's pretty cool that a real Viking is being used in this anime; Floki seems like he's gonna be one evil bastard. He seems like a coward too, paying off someone else to do his dirty work for him!
Jul 7, 2019 12:19 PM

Jul 2017
The English attacking the Vikings while they're unarmed/unprepared, what is this the Battle of Stamford Bridge all over again
Jul 7, 2019 12:30 PM

Apr 2017
i love how they're bringing real vikings and kings into the story. i wonder if they'll bring ragnar in eventually...
Jul 7, 2019 12:30 PM

Jun 2016
Does anyone know why flokin wants Thor dead?
Jul 7, 2019 12:41 PM

Apr 2019
i already hate Thorfinn hahahaha
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 7, 2019 12:47 PM

Nov 2016
I really like the depiction of the vikings life so far.

And damm, I kinda assumed that they might try to get rid of Thor in order to have character development for Thorfinn. Kinda sad if this will actually turn out to be the case.

Also poor guys who were attacked while bathing(xD)

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 7, 2019 1:03 PM

Apr 2017
A wild Askeladd appears! He's one of the more interesting characters in the first parts of the story imo, and that bastard Floki, I am not looking forward to more of him.

I love to talk anime and manga, feel free to message me!
Jul 7, 2019 1:22 PM

Jan 2009
Thors became a pacifist then i got a feeling he is gonna die soon in a world full of killings

and wut the Jomvikings want Thor dead so why they did not do it themselves then
Jul 7, 2019 2:29 PM

Dec 2015
It's just great. I like Ylva - sexy and tomboyish. The voice acting, music and background sounds are great. Ending is nice as well and the opening has your usual good quality - expected from that studio. Only the opening music seems a bit week compared to that powerful OST within the episodes - so far.

Watching episode 3 tomorrow.
Jul 7, 2019 3:11 PM

Sep 2017
Turns out Floki doesn't actually forgive Thors. I feel like this might be his own personal vengeance rather than an order since he's basically hiring someone else to do the deed. They might at least be leaving the village alone. It's kinda crazy how war crazed all these ppl are. I just know they are gonna get slaughtered. I'm also very curious about Thorfinn's development.
Jul 7, 2019 3:24 PM

Oct 2017
phxntomhiveghoul said:
i love how they're bringing real vikings and kings into the story. i wonder if they'll bring ragnar in eventually...

Ragnar Lodbrok? He was semi-mythical and if existed lived during the the 9th century. Vinland takes place in the early 11th century. Vinland does use a lot of real people in the story though a few introduced already.
Jul 7, 2019 3:28 PM

Jul 2016
Good episode. They preparing to sail, and betrayal ensues.

Jul 7, 2019 4:17 PM

Apr 2017
TolkienFan365 said:
phxntomhiveghoul said:

Ragnar Lodbrok? He was semi-mythical and if existed lived during the the 9th century. Vinland takes place in the early 11th century. Vinland does use a lot of real people in the story though a few introduced already.

oh cool, i actually didn't know that. i only really know of ragnar from the history channel series lol.
Jul 7, 2019 4:23 PM

Oct 2017
phxntomhiveghoul said:
TolkienFan365 said:

oh cool, i actually didn't know that. i only really know of ragnar from the history channel series lol.

Yeah the history channel series is more liberal with history regarding the events in the story than Vinland or the other big viking series The Last Kingdom (that one is more focused on the Anglo Saxons though around Alfred the Great). I will say that does make Vinland a little unique as it takes place more towards the end of the Viking Age (the Battle of Stamford Bridge 1066 would be when most say it ended which is around 4-6 decades after Vinland's setting) compared to most which focus on its height like Vikings and the Last Kingdom.

BilboBaggins365Jul 7, 2019 4:41 PM
Jul 7, 2019 5:41 PM

Apr 2018
deg said:
Thors became a pacifist then i got a feeling he is gonna die soon in a world full of killings

and wut the Jomvikings want Thor dead so why they did not do it themselves then
Nah, Thors is OP af. Let's just say that floki is afraid to lose his men. Lol
Jul 7, 2019 6:55 PM

Jul 2014
Bruhhh they made my man Askeladd a fucking HUNK. Have yall ever seen a more beautiful middle aged anime dude???
Jul 7, 2019 7:00 PM

Oct 2017
Floki wants to kill Thors huh? I guess it’s not too surprising that he hasn’t forgiven him for deserting the battle.
Jul 7, 2019 7:13 PM
Jan 2019
We advance to the second episode.
They showed us the love of the Vikings for the war at the cost of their lives, the honor of dying on the battlefield as a warrior and going to Valhalla, it was all for them.
A different matter from the point of view of Thors, father of Thorfinn. For him, killing and dying on the battlefield is not something to be proud of. Murderous or murdered. There is no joy in killing someone, "No one has enemies, there is no one to whom it is good to hurt". He realized that there are more important things than war.
It is a pity that he has to pay for the decisions he made in the past, and next to him, the men of the village. And to top it off, it is a damn trap to which they are directed.
Floky, that damned worm, lied to them.

PS: Did there exist Christian Vikings?
Jul 7, 2019 7:17 PM

Feb 2019
The amount of setup and world building in the first two episodes has me nearly hooked. Love the visuals though I still wish the color palette was a bit more memorable but that is such a minor gripe.

I am cautiously optimistic but my opinion of the show is rising fast.

Jul 7, 2019 7:49 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Askeladd, arguably the best character of the franchise got introduced.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jul 7, 2019 7:51 PM
Mar 2017
The second episode fulfilled what was expected, the arrival of Floki means the prelude to a bloody war.
I have a very bad feeling with Floki, at first sight he is a bloodthirsty bastard and you immediately notice the resentment he feels towards Thors, the worst is that he never gave Thors the option to refuse, to see how the Vikings led by Floki scattered around the village, preparing to attack just by receiving the order was exasperating, but in the end Floki withdrew, without first announcing to the inhabitants that Thors will go to war and the men must rise in arms to support him, but Thors seems take it very badly.

Thorfinn is a really charismatic child, I really like the curiosity he shows towards his father after seeing how Floki and the Vikings greeted him.
He was also the one who took the announcement of going to war seriously, the way in which he ruthlessly fought with his friends is proof of that, leaving them very ill-treated, but the best part was when the little boy discovers the chest of his father, the look of Thorfinn while looking at the edge of the dagger was excellent and then that conversation father and son ... Thorfinn still does not understand what it means to go to war.
Floki showed what I knew he was when I saw him for the first time, sneaky bastard without pride, the damned wants to kill Thors and for that he hired Askeladd and his crew.

I guess now we have to wait for what will happen with Thors, I wonder how reliable Askeladd is and how he will manage to fulfill the commission that Floki asked him to do.
Jul 7, 2019 8:08 PM
Feb 2016
Thors being an apprentice to a welder and still being in the midst of learning to control his strength is a great, great representation of his past life (Viking) interfering with his present (Villager). It's a struggle to put that side of him behind for good.

It's moments like those that makes characters feel a lot more human, and a lot more relateable.

I love when shows in general tackle nature vs nurture, and how events in someone's life can cause shifts in their thinking and create paradigm shifts.

Thors was a cold blooded Viking just like any other. But then one day, it became all too much. I assume because he started to have a family since the camera pans to his wife and he said that he didn't want to kill (implying that he would be taking a husband away from a wife and child) or to be killed (meaning that he'd be taking away from his own family).

In an environment where men and boys are separated from war and bloodshed and are told glorious war stories from their father, grandfather, and about their ancestors, they idealize war. Thorfinn is no different in spite of the values that Thors might want to instill in him.

So, it seemed that Thorfinn to this point, doesn't really have a lot of say in the type of person that he is going to become.

You see a glimpse of it during the sword game. He takes it far more seriously. He doesn't want to be one of the first kids "dying", because only a strong warrior gets into Valhalla.

He's already been indoctrinated.

The father praising Thorfinn for his strength at the expense of his own son's broken arm while Thors looks at the sobbing child and recognizes his pain is a powerful scene within itself that exemplifies the environment that Thorfinn is growing up in. Only Thors seems to care enough about the victims to see that harming people, anyone, is wrong.

When Thors confronts Thorfinn, he tells him that he has no enemies.

That here is no one that he has to hurt.

That is because Thorfinn saw the kids as his enemies, as his GENUINE enemies. The other kids treat it as a game, so they don't use excessive force. But once Thorfinn began to treat it as an actual war, he viewed them as enemies that needed to be hurt.

"Who are you planning to kill with this?"

Such a powerful question. You can hear it in Thors voice. He sounds disappointed, and almost even hurt, that his son is willing to take another life. Meaning that his son even at a tender young age has the belief that the life that he takes in battle ultimately means nothing.

Thors's hand bleeding while he gripped the dagger tightly shows just how upset he was at his son.

So much going on that I'm going to use this time to look back at each episode and see how much nuance I can pick up on.

This is the birth of a masterpiece. 10/10
Jul 7, 2019 9:10 PM

Jan 2017
ChainxBastard said:

Thors's hand bleeding while he gripped the dagger tightly shows just how upset he was at his son.

I moreso interpreted that as a display of what the blade that Thorsfinn was just in awe of the beauty of does to people.
Mendokusai
Jul 7, 2019 9:49 PM

Jul 2012
So Thors wants to protect his son from the war, but Thorfinn still wants to fight.

Also Floki is conspiring behind Thors back.
Digimon is the best Isekai
Jul 7, 2019 11:11 PM

Oct 2017
That guy Floki looked like a bad guy and i was right.He hired vikings to kill Thors and even lied to them. The kids in the village r exited about the war but lol they will see the terror when they actually face the war.
Jul 8, 2019 12:18 AM

May 2016
The only quibble I have with this series is that the Christian monk IRL would not beg for his life. For monks of that era, martyrdom was a great honor.
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Jul 8, 2019 12:36 AM

Aug 2013
phxntomhiveghoul said:

EXACTLY MY POINT!
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 8, 2019 1:04 AM

Nov 2018
the storytelling there was absolutely amazing, in this episode the mood shifted a bit but not in a ridiculous way, i feel like somethig terrible is gonna happen
Jul 8, 2019 4:35 AM

Apr 2019
Very nice episode seem like an very interesting show so far. I really like the charracters, and the sword that Throfin found was very pretty.
Jul 8, 2019 4:44 AM

Jul 2015
Second episode review

This episode was more a clam and philosophical compared to the previous one.

Floki makes his entrance,his is already to his schemes

And finally Askeladd appears

Jul 8, 2019 4:46 AM

Jan 2018
Imo, it looks like the death flag has been raised for Thorfinn's father.

I can't imagine Episode 2 is up already.
Jul 8, 2019 6:37 AM

Apr 2017
I'm in love with this show. The plot seems very strong so far. I hope the whole adaptation turns out great.
Jul 8, 2019 9:51 AM

Oct 2013
Another fantastic episode. I could feel the atmosphere of the North.

Kids playing around were funny, especially when Thorfinn cheated and attack them even after he lost.

Floki seemed to be a cool guy and talented warrior 15 years ago. Now he is emotionless and tough Jomsviking who wants to hire an assassin to order him to kill Thors. :(
Jul 8, 2019 9:53 AM
Oct 2017
Adnash93 said:
Another fantastic episode. I could feel the atmosphere of the North.

Kids playing around were funny, especially when Thorfinn cheated and attack them even after he lost.

Floki seemed to be a cool guy and talented warrior 15 years ago. Now he is emotionless and tough Jomsviking who wants to hire an assassin to order him to kill Thors. :(

That cool guy 15 years ago is Thorkell, a different character :)
Jul 8, 2019 10:06 AM
Oct 2017
tywhoppity said:
The only quibble I have with this series is that the Christian monk IRL would not beg for his life. For monks of that era, martyrdom was a great honor.

Is that true for all of them in action as well or is that how they generally wanted to be portrayed? How many actually went through with it? You can brainwash people with whatever to make them not fear death, but it doesn't seem like something that is that hard to abandon when in a pinch. And this isn't even on the level of brainwashing.

Dying a martyr is probably nice, but dying a martyr without anyone knowing is probably not. Dying a martyr might be nice, but not dying at all would be better.
Jul 8, 2019 10:18 AM
Mar 2015
Don't go Thors It is Floki's trap
Jul 8, 2019 10:35 AM

Oct 2013
Niello said:
That cool guy 15 years ago is Thorkell, a different character :)

Really? Good to know. Dunno why I mistook him for Thorkell. Maybe because I watched ep. 1 lately at night, lol. Thanks for giving a clarification. :)
Jul 8, 2019 11:59 AM

Jul 2016
Didn't remember this trap was going to happen so early in the story. And yey, Askeladd's introduction at last. Another great episode with a ton of impact for the rest of the plot.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jul 8, 2019 1:29 PM

Oct 2017
Why Thors?!?!?! His son is kinda too much irritating me althought i've hope that it would change
Next ep is going to be kinda bloodyyyy
Jul 8, 2019 2:42 PM
Apr 2016
How goddamn naive everyone in that village is, thinking war will be all flowers and fun.. I presume he's making those guys attack Thor in order to test Thor? To see whether he's going to be able to fight after his long hiatus?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Yesterday, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.