Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 7, 2019 8:03 AM

Nov 2012
2ego said:
franxz said:

Small details like ordinary still background characters, talking heads, as little movement as possible to be considered an animation? That sequence where Zoro cut the murdered with haki looked just bad.

It looked bad to you, the animation was still, good, the reason it looked bad to you was because even objective things can look bad to someone, as visuality is unfortunately entirely subjective.

I don't know how you can consider this bad, unless your standards for anime are Redline or something

https://mobile.twitter.com/0XMURADX0/status/1147690854242500610
Jul 7, 2019 8:07 AM

Dec 2014
franxz said:
Wait am I actually the only one thoroughly disappointed? The animation is not nearly as good as it was hyped to be, the Zoro slash looked so stupid, background is always super stale, it's JUST colourful. I don't get why people are excited. Zoro slashing all the guards was like the worst fight sequence in One Piece. I don't want to spread negativity, but I was really hyped for this arc.

Dw you are not spreading any negativity, just stupidity :)
Jul 7, 2019 8:35 AM

Feb 2013
This is what we all have been waiting for, even though some of y’all wasn’t expecting this! But finally it is here
The music and animation was just so satisfying. Nico robin as Geisha and the scene where Zoro shows off his gorgeous muscles it’s just a cherry on the top. The new director did a great job, so happy!
Jul 7, 2019 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
It's so weird seeing the One Piece anime look good
Jul 7, 2019 9:05 AM

Jul 2012
By the way, what happened with the non-late night anime censorship in this episode?
Did I miss any updated legislation clauses in Japan regarding broadcasting?

Because I wasn't expecting watching Zoro's cutting down a bunch of samurai with blood flying everywhere, at least not after the 2006's censorship clauses having being established (you will notice a several reduction of violence in every single anime that airs before night by that year and above, especially the morning ones).
Jul 7, 2019 9:08 AM

Jun 2011
cmon lmao the guy's just stating his opinion.. however I think I know what he means.. he said that there's very little movement in the background.. but,

franxz said:
Small details like ordinary still background characters, talking heads, as little movement as possible to be considered an animation? That sequence where Zoro cut the murdered with haki looked just bad.
as a 900 episodes series, having stills aren't as bad, when it's used on the bystander as a sort of stylistic choice (making the best of its situation). The actual animation on the Zoro action is amazing, and the episode overall was well directed for the most part, hence making the animation (or the lack thereof) flaws well covered. This is like what I've heard studio Shaft does, the quick cutscenes that they do save them money/time on animating everything. Even well known studio like Madhouse cut corners like that too.

Oh and the anime in your avatar does that as well. Remember the infamous 3 frames per second stair scene? And that anime only had like 30 episodes out, compared to a massive project like One Piece.

As a huge fan, I've been critical of the series animation for quite a long time, however, there's the dragged out boring looking version of stills like the colosseum spectators in Dressrosa in the anime vs this episode where the focus was on the scenery of a newly introduced arc as well as the actual said important characters on screen.

Also, saying that the part where Zoro cut the murderer looked bad is subjective. The animation itself is fine.. though I do think it could've had more of an impact, BUT, it is also probably a stylistic choice of going with the flow of the shamisen and not overdo the "badassness" that we got from reading the manga.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 7, 2019 9:32 AM

Jan 2014
franxz said:
Wait am I actually the only one thoroughly disappointed? The animation is not nearly as good as it was hyped to be, the Zoro slash looked so stupid, background is always super stale, it's JUST colourful. I don't get why people are excited. Zoro slashing all the guards was like the worst fight sequence in One Piece. I don't want to spread negativity, but I was really hyped for this arc.

lol what are you talking about are you blind?

-goes to your profile
-only have completed 146 anime

Come back when you have watched more anime so you can know what good animation is and what bad animation is
Jul 7, 2019 9:44 AM
Apr 2016
It's really a good episode finally onepiece back to it's golden era ! easy 10/10 for me. It's slow episode but it's really enjoyable i hope they keep it up in the future episode
Jul 7, 2019 10:34 AM

Jul 2008
Holy Shit....new OP is awesome, new style is great. new promos, new everything.

Why couldn't the whole series be at this level?!?!
Jul 7, 2019 10:37 AM

Jul 2014
What the hell is going on, I noticed previously that the flashbacks had much better coloring being done, and now that we're in Wano suddenly the quality upped gigantically over fucking garbage big mom arc, I wonder how long they'll keep this production value for, I hope it keeps going cause it really is incredible.
Jul 7, 2019 10:47 AM

Dec 2017
So how many spoilers will you put on the opening theme for this anime?

Toei Animation : Yes
Jul 7, 2019 10:49 AM

Jan 2015
This neither looks nor sounds like regular One Piece. I love it!
Jul 7, 2019 10:51 AM

Dec 2017
franxz said:
boy, you are worthless
Jul 7, 2019 12:13 PM

Sep 2016
I'm so fucking hyped, I really hope that the anime goes back to its good old days. The opening was amazing and the eyecatchers melody finally changed to represent the overall aesthetics of Wano Kuni.

The slash wasn't as great as I pictured it, but damn, the Zoro fight scene had that Samurai Champloo vibe.
EvocationWizardJul 7, 2019 12:17 PM
Jul 7, 2019 12:26 PM

Aug 2015
More than the animation itself, it is a change in art style. For me it is good this way.
To be honest I was not expecting a film quality in a weekly show, but it definitively looks really good (At this point they would never reach the animation quality of Thriller bark, because that thing was over the top).

By the way, as a manga reader I would not recommend you (anime only) guys to watch the opening. It spoils everything the manga has showed and even beyond that, which may kill the hype for some.
Jul 7, 2019 1:43 PM
Jul 2016
Good episode. I enjoyed the new starting. Despite the spoiler warnings of the opening, the only ones saying that are the ones who've already read the manga. I watch the anime only and see absolutely nothing in the starting that gave anything away.

One Piece have been notorious for spoiling in the opening though. The first and craziest one was when they showed Robin on the crew when she was still a bad guy. LOL. I was like WTFFFF O.O
Jul 7, 2019 1:45 PM
Jul 2016
Pakumen- said:
By the way, as a manga reader I would not recommend you (anime only) guys to watch the opening. It spoils everything the manga has showed and even beyond that, which may kill the hype for some.

Am I the only non manga reader that wasn't spoiled by the starting? I saw people fighting but how could it spoil if I have no clue who they are?

As I said in a previous post, One Piece have definitely spoiled in the past but I didn't notice anything from this one.
Jul 7, 2019 1:58 PM

Aug 2015
EsQueue said:

As I said in a previous post, One Piece have definitely spoiled in the past but I didn't notice anything from this one.

In about two episodes you will know why I am saying this is one of the most spoiler-ish One Piece openings.
It shows major points of the plot.
Jul 7, 2019 2:07 PM
May 2013
its not look like one piece,

really amazing episode 5/5

I guess, it was very suitable for the Zoro sword to be given such an effect. because if not then it would be strange, if Zoro slashed the blood buffalo. because basically, anime-only is usually for ordinary people. so for me there is no problem in adding effects to the sword.
Jul 7, 2019 2:09 PM
Jul 2016
Pakumen- said:
EsQueue said:

In about two episodes you will know why I am saying this is one of the most spoiler-ish One Piece openings.
It shows major points of the plot.

I am actually responding without reading what you wrote, LOL

I'm sure that it will contain a spoiler or information that I'll regret seeing. I'm done with this thread LOL. I can unfortunately get spoiled by hints easily and will skip the starting as I can't recall it after seeing it once. Later and thanks if you didn't spoil.
Jul 7, 2019 3:03 PM

Mar 2013
What is this i'm seeing? Blood? in one piece? Hope this arc keeps this quality until the end!!!
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jul 7, 2019 3:14 PM
Mar 2019
I was waiting that Zoro show us his truth power since the training of 2 years and it is coming... that was amazing... also I think that the opening battle of luffy vs kaido spoiled me the entire arc wtf
Jul 7, 2019 3:17 PM
Mar 2019
The people who read the manga, everything was spoiled in the opening...????? I'm so sad... :(
Jul 7, 2019 3:19 PM
Apr 2016
akaviana said:
The people who read the manga, everything was spoiled in the opening...????? I'm so sad... :(

No, it wasn't. Some things have been spoiled, but mostly the visual things have been spoiled. Don't worry.
Jul 7, 2019 3:23 PM

Sep 2017
Even though it still isn't as good as the manga , THIS is a major step-up for the One Piece anime and I'm very glad they did it 5/5 . Opening song is catchy as well though it has many spoilers (btw why tf does Queen have blond hair??)

Do Crabs have the haki on Wano? 😂 (20:53)
yikes
Jul 7, 2019 4:28 PM

Feb 2017
Man everything about this episode was great. I really like the new opening, but jeez it had a bunch of spoilers. Nevertheless I can’t wait to see the upcoming episodes!
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
Jul 7, 2019 5:31 PM

May 2014
The animation was on another level, just as shown in the preview trailer we saw a month before. Wow, that was some good animation. I like his style. First of all, the usage of blood is much higher which makes logical sense. You can't just cut someone without any blood spoilage. Secondly, I like how he use a picture while the dialogue is still going on. This is a new way of animate One Piece no director have used before in the series.

The arc had a great start. Ofc, Zoro is the first one to start a fight. Just what I expected. LOL, that's so typical Zoro. Hahah. Apropos Zoro and his performing of sekkupu, couldn't he used make a tiny spot of busoshoku haki on his stomach and coat the dagger with haki too? By doing so, maybe could avoid the situation of fighting the samurai's. On the other hand, this technique could may be too cheap for the leader (slasher-san) to buy. This is hard to believe, judging by their reaction, when they had no clue of Haki.

All in all, a good quality ep. we deserved after all these flashbacks. I loved every min. of the ep. Good work director!
Jul 7, 2019 5:55 PM

May 2014
EsQueue said:
Good episode. I enjoyed the new starting. Despite the spoiler warnings of the opening, the only ones saying that are the ones who've already read the manga. I watch the anime only and see absolutely nothing in the starting that gave anything away.

One Piece have been notorious for spoiling in the opening though. The first and craziest one was when they showed Robin on the crew when she was still a bad guy. LOL. I was like WTFFFF O.O

Yeah, I remember that. It was on Alabasta arc. The arc was halfway through when they showed Robin on Going Merry. LOL
Jul 7, 2019 5:58 PM

May 2014

I remember this scene from the old spiderman from 2002. Haha, so funny scene. I LMAO when I first saw this. hahaah

Jul 7, 2019 6:44 PM

Jul 2013
Long time ago since I was so hyped just from seeing an OP + the actual first episode of the arc. The animation looks absolute gorgeous. The whole style is on another level. Also the atmosphere and the music in the background makes it very special.

I don't know if it was just me, but to see Zoro, Robin, Franky and Usopp again after such a long time is also something if waited for. :)

The OP was overwhelming. So much spoilers were to see which hyped me even more, like the transformation of Kaido. OMFG.

Poor Zoro. First episode and he gets suspected as murder and has to commit Seppuku xD
Even if the fight was totally onesided, also here I loved the animation. If they can keep it up like that it could become one of the best arcs if not the best arc.

Jul 7, 2019 9:47 PM

Aug 2013
I'm in the verge of tears, what an incredible episode, the direction, the artstyle, the music, even the choreography of the fight, so good 5/5.
Jul 7, 2019 9:52 PM

Oct 2015
Damn! The art visuals are on sky high, I'm really impressed by Toei and I hope they won't change. Oda should be proud for how great the anime is looking, Kaido versus Luffy should be super fire!!

I wasn't even concentrated on the episode plot the way the visuals were so beautiful.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 7, 2019 10:52 PM

May 2015
The visuals were so good I thought I was watching something from David Productions.
Jul 8, 2019 1:37 AM

Jul 2007
Danpmss said:
That Opening is absolute perfection.

I'm weirdly enough -yet legitimately so- in the verge of tears of happiness and repeating it non-stop.

The adaptation also flowed SO MUCH better even when they still added original content all around. This arc may as well be the best arc of this entire anime if it keeps going like this.

I still have some issues with how the conversation between Franky and the carpenter chief was slowed down (and Zoro's arrest and seppuku sequences taking a bit too long), but that is a nitpick compared with all the other scenes and their respective transitions.

5/5

Compared to the agonizing reverie arc in the anime and dragged out katakuri fight in WCI and the CAAAKKEEEE!!, this is a new gold standard honestly and anime only viewers you have no idea how important this arc is and the over Japanese feel is sure to be welcomed and delightful for people that wan't something different and unique to look forward to.

Jul 8, 2019 4:37 AM

Dec 2013
If they keep up the quality throughout the whole arc i'm gonna be so happy!
Jul 8, 2019 5:11 AM

Apr 2015
Damn the Wano arc starting off with a bang, The Opening was perfect and the animation is so damn crispy!! We finally see Zoro in action yay!!!!
Also the mid episode intervals have been revamped too. Cant wait for more!!!
Jul 8, 2019 6:31 AM

Jun 2015
This is awesome! This is like Naruto, Gintama and One Piece all together.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 8, 2019 7:40 AM
Feb 2019
WolfWood37 said:
Holy Shit....new OP is awesome, new style is great. new promos, new everything.

Why couldn't the whole series be at this level?!?!

Because it's not a popular show so they don't get enough money nor ratings from it.
... oh wait

Anyway gorgeous episode.

Not only the drawings and animation. But the color scheme for every scene and the artistic direction was on point.

It was a pleasure watching the introduction scene and the one were Zoro was about to commit Seppuku, the guitar play was very harmonious and well place during the whole scene.
Jul 8, 2019 8:29 AM
Jun 2015
Wow the animation in this episode was superb. Loved seeing the rest of the Strawhats after so long. I believe it's been more than a 100 episodes since we last saw them all together. Episode no 776 was the time they all decided to split, with half the crew going on to rescue Sanji and the other half going to Wano.
Jul 8, 2019 3:26 PM

Dec 2012
This went above and beyond my expectations. It was simply beautiful! The art, the animation, the music, the voice acting, the little in-canon filler, just amazing!
Jul 8, 2019 6:39 PM
Aug 2011
This looked great. Zoro daddy you look good.
In general the OP anime fandom has been so starved for any change in visuals that this surpassed any expectations easily.

I'm not sure it can/will necessarily hold up to this quality but I sure hope it does.
Jul 8, 2019 7:05 PM
Jan 2018
zoro is so cool 🔥😎
Jul 8, 2019 7:49 PM

Oct 2016
Toei with good animation? What the actual fuck!?
Jul 8, 2019 8:39 PM

Mar 2015
Holy smokes so that's where all of the Big Mom arc's budget went! Everything looks great and I can't wait to jump into things!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 8, 2019 10:58 PM

Apr 2016
I started tearing up when Zoro appeared for the first time in ages...
Jul 9, 2019 12:24 AM

Jan 2018
Is this really one piece!!!
Damn this episode was fucking awesome. The new animation and art style looked beautiful. Finally we saw Zoro in action. I liked how they showed how Zoro was caught. The action scenes looked great too. Robin looked beautiful. Great to see Franky and Usopp. The soundtracks were great. And Wano did look colorful just the way Oda wanted it to be. Thank you Nagamine.

The opening was great. Kamurosaki looked beautiful in the op. But the opening did spoil a lot of things for the anime only fans. And I think they kinda spoiled the manga readers too. I mean that was unexpected.
Anyway I'm hyped for the anime.
Jul 9, 2019 12:28 AM

Dec 2013
The opening has so many spoilers! But it still got me pretty hyped.

Strong start even with the little amount of manga content covered it wasn’t too dragged out.

Animation was really impressive. Especially since it’s Toei.
Jul 9, 2019 8:38 PM

Feb 2015
In Wano, the straw-hat pirates are hidden in characters, Franky as a carpenter, Usopp as a merchant, Robin as a geisha and Zoro as a ronin; Kin’emon told them not to attract attention. One night, a samurai assassinated a person, but he ran, Zoro was by the way and got blamed, he was sentenced to seppuku, before committing it, he smelled blood from the magistrate, so he confronted him and the guards, starting a battle. Luffy woke up next to his ship, in Wano’s beach, suddenly a tiger appeared running from a monkey with a sword.

The art is pure beauty, watching this episode, just made me think that this is gonna be the best arc since they entered to the new world, this is gonna be great, also, I adore Japanese culture, I’m shocked. Law is missing, Zoro looks so good with this theme and Robin so beautiful as a geisha.
Jul 9, 2019 9:12 PM
Jan 2019
I love the new animation style and even with the spoilers the op is great. I’m really enjoying the music and I’m curious to see how they move forwards with it. I am also super happy to see Zoro back in action for the sepuku scene. This has all come together very nicely and I love it
Jul 9, 2019 9:48 PM

Mar 2017
the animation was so smooth, I approve ♥

Zoro is slowly catching up to Mihawk!!!! ugh

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 392 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Mar 8, 2009

92 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 391 Discussion

Kitschi - Mar 11, 2009

40 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago

» I miss the old fights.

NeutralSide - Sep 14, 2023

25 by NeutralSide »»
Today, 6:42 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1062 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 20, 2023

328 by mihirmishra »»
Today, 5:46 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 229 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jan 5, 2010

42 by kejora »»
Today, 2:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.