Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 7, 2019 2:36 PM

Jul 2016
dasprn said:
SouthRzVa said:
Now that I think about it... I'm with Reines and Melvin here, I also want to know if Waver lost his virginity at some point during these last ten years... and to think that Iskandar once acted as a wingman to help him in that regard when they met Taiga back then during the war... I wonder if drama CDs can be considered canon tho...

Wait that really happened?

As I said, it depends on whether you consider Drama CDs as part of the story progression or not.
Anyways, if I remember correctly, after Iskandar and Waver left the Einzbern castle (Fate/Zero - Episode 11), they met Taiga, who was looking for a thief who stole a wine barrel (the one Iskandar brought to the castle during said episode) from her friend's family store.
To make it short, Waver and Rider helped her with other tasks that arose at that moment and at some point Rider suggests Waver to have a "romantic experience" with her, which Waver obviously declined right away.
After they helped her, Taiga still wanted to look for the wine barrel thief but Waver decided to hypnotise her and send her home since it was dangerous for her to walk during the night with the HGW still being in process.

Some time after that event, Taiga says an anonymous person sent a dozen barrels of high-class London wine to her friend's house.

Personally, I like this story. It doesn't match the serious tone of F/Z but it helps to give Taiga and Waver more development. Especially since it seems this event was the reason why Taiga decided to become an english teacher due to the difficulties they both had when they met, her being japanese and Waver being english with no knowledge in japanese.
Jul 7, 2019 5:22 PM

Aug 2018
its already better than apocrypha, but that's a very low bar... w8 n c, i guess...
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Jul 7, 2019 5:57 PM

Oct 2008
TROYCA, TYPE-MOON, Kajiura Yuki, i've already posted this same thing from the prequel episode but still it was nice!

Jul 7, 2019 6:45 PM

Sep 2017
Having seen ep.0 and this one, I still have no idea what this show is gonna be about. Politics? Action? Mystery? Will have to find out.
Jul 8, 2019 7:32 AM

Feb 2014
SouthRzVa said:
dasprn said:

Wait that really happened?

As I said, it depends on whether you consider Drama CDs as part of the story progression or not.
Anyways, if I remember correctly, after Iskandar and Waver left the Einzbern castle (Fate/Zero - Episode 11), they met Taiga, who was looking for a thief who stole a wine barrel (the one Iskandar brought to the castle during said episode) from her friend's family store.
To make it short, Waver and Rider helped her with other tasks that arose at that moment and at some point Rider suggests Waver to have a "romantic experience" with her, which Waver obviously declined right away.
After they helped her, Taiga still wanted to look for the wine barrel thief but Waver decided to hypnotise her and send her home since it was dangerous for her to walk during the night with the HGW still being in process.

Some time after that event, Taiga says an anonymous person sent a dozen barrels of high-class London wine to her friend's house.

Personally, I like this story. It doesn't match the serious tone of F/Z but it helps to give Taiga and Waver more development. Especially since it seems this event was the reason why Taiga decided to become an english teacher due to the difficulties they both had when they met, her being japanese and Waver being english with no knowledge in Japanese.

WOW this is wholesome. I didn't know it'd be this good. When you consider the possibility it really is a thing. (Also considering Taiga to be the Hero Jaguarman with clothes suitable to what Lord El Melloi II prefers.)
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jul 8, 2019 7:37 AM

Oct 2017
Wow,this show's so enjoyable for me :)
Jul 8, 2019 1:44 PM

Apr 2015
This sure brought back some good memories of Fate/Zero, so many references! It's an interesting start, I never really payed attention to Waver's character in Fate/Zero cause Rider just outshined him so much, but I am definitely looking forward to see more. Hopefully with more references to Fate/Zero.

Reines voiced by Inori Minase, such a cute loli but adult Reines is definitely better.

From what I recall from episode 0 back in January, I am looking forward to Gray's screentime!
Jul 8, 2019 2:22 PM

May 2016
Waver is always Waver always wavering.

recalling Iskandar's flashbacks I always get dem goosebumps.

looking forward to next ep.
Jul 8, 2019 3:39 PM

Sep 2017
Iskandar must be so so proud to see how well he raised this boy...and so am i.
towards the end when they show when gilgamesh spared waver but killed iskandar and he started crying made me sob liike a baby just like when i watched fate/zero. I seriously cant wait to see more,

also this gives me very Gosick vibes.

the ost sounds pretty nice,the characters and world look GREAT,and i mean it.
this is probably (so far) the best fate from all the other side stories like fate kaleid,apocrypha etc (not including the og fsn an fz because those are obviously superior fates)

edit; i pulled on fgo right after posting this and my old man waver came home...coincidence? I THINK NOT
Oh and okita from fgo would be friends with wavers silver haired beauty,both are blood puking....beauties
tookawaiiiJul 9, 2019 3:12 PM

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jul 9, 2019 4:34 AM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
It was a little boring to watch but I think it has potential to get better if they have more fighting to really show off there beautiful animation. I found myself looking at my phone a lot as not much of what was going on drew me into the show. I also found myself not really knowing much because I had watched Fate/Zero about 3 or 4 years ago so any emotion i felt towards Waver have evaporated.
Jul 9, 2019 2:33 PM
Dec 2017
Oriotiar said:
AstralBread said:

That's good to know, because the episode was trash, in contrast with the ep. 0 OVA which was pretty ok. I dropped it without finishing the episode, but if it's original, maybe the rest will be watchable.

I don’t know since personaly I really like it, but I'm pretty sure we're done with the anime original content since the episode ends with grey saying something along the line of "So you're done with the Izelma case teacher" which is the name second arc of the serie so that part was likely takken from either the end of vol 3 or begining of vol 4.

The entire first half of the anime is going to anime original so no, were not done.
Jul 9, 2019 2:40 PM
Dec 2017
Well regardless I enjoyed the episode. It was funny, new and I really enjoyed Melvin and Reines' scenes. The only flaws for me was them having Waver's hair so long when it was meant to be shorter and the lack of Gray screen time
Jul 9, 2019 3:16 PM
Sep 2016
Mami-kouga said:
Oriotiar said:

I don’t know since personaly I really like it, but I'm pretty sure we're done with the anime original content since the episode ends with grey saying something along the line of "So you're done with the Izelma case teacher" which is the name second arc of the serie so that part was likely takken from either the end of vol 3 or begining of vol 4.

The entire first half of the anime is going to anime original so no, were not done.

Where did you see that? I can't find a source for it, the most I find is that it will have some anime original content.
Plus the arc they're adapting is 2 volumes long and both no small books.
Well I really hope you're wrong cause 3ep/volume seems way too rushed for that kind of serie
OriotiarJul 9, 2019 3:20 PM
Jul 9, 2019 3:42 PM
Dec 2017
Oriotiar said:
Mami-kouga said:

Where did you see that? I can't find a source for it, the most I find is that it will have some anime original content.
Well I really hope you're wrong cause 3ep/volume seems way too rushed for that kind of serie

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/8160-Lord-El-Melloi-II-Case-Files-Anime-TV-Series-in-07-2019?p=2974954&viewfull=1#post2974954

From this thread, which is generally what I rely on to get information on case files. There's a interview by Makoto Sanda linked, though you'll have to rely on Google translate.

Edit: Google translation of the part of the interview regarding it

あ Ah, the first half of the animation in the “case book” was the original story, and the second half was announced as the “magic eye collection train”, but the original story is to make the “magic eye collection train” easier to understand ... ?

Mita That's what I mean. In the first half, for example, I would like to make some original stories that are completed in episodes 1 and 2, like "Detective Conan". In fact, one month between the incidents of "Adora" and "Izelma", another month between "Izelma" and "The Magical Eye Train", I have left time in the story. So, the idea of ​​the short film of the blank period is being planned.

So yeah, it seems like the first half will be used mostly to make the adapted parts easier to understand. A lot of the writing in case files doesn't exactly translate into an animated format so I certainly don't think it's Impossible to do it without it being rushed
Mami-kougaJul 9, 2019 3:47 PM
Jul 9, 2019 3:46 PM
Sep 2016
Oriotiar said:
Mami-kouga said:

They've been saying this for months on social media, livestreams, magazine interviews..since January. The first half is anime original but the events will take place after the Izelma case (3rd novel).. That's why they added that line about the Izelma fallout at the end to establish continuity. They even had something like a sale for the first 3 volumes a while back in case people wanted to catch up with the series while the wait time was over. The reasons given were they felt the Adra castle case would be too slow of a starting point for the audience (the current state of anime sigh) and could possibly work better as a movie or something on top of the first 2 cases being "stand alone" (even though the characters come back later but I digress).
The rail Zeppelin or mystic eyes collection train case being adapted in the second half is where the overarching story kicks in but due to the skipping they can't just jump into it so they're using the first half for setup with anime original content. Like, for example there was a character who was introduced in volume 1..but they're skipping that..yet she plays a role in the volumes being adapted so we can't just have her appear out of nowhere. Part of episode 1 was an adaptation of Waver's conversation with Reines which is partly in volume 2 from her perspective (volume 2 also introduces her mystic eyes) as well as the fate/zero and case files manga..the fate/zero manga showed the journey he took mimicking Iskander's journey while he was alive..the episode adds on to that......blah blah

Point is.. Yah, it was confirmed. The first half is anime original. The author was involved but the adaptation of the novels from volume 4 is in the second half.
The first case is getting a musical/stage play adaptation in towards the end of the year.
JudoJDJul 9, 2019 3:52 PM
1.1.Six
Jul 9, 2019 4:02 PM
Sep 2016
Mami-kouga said:
Oriotiar said:

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/8160-Lord-El-Melloi-II-Case-Files-Anime-TV-Series-in-07-2019?p=2974954&viewfull=1#post2974954

From this thread, which is generally what I rely on to get information on case files. There's a interview by Makoto Sanda linked, though you'll have to rely on Google translate.

あ Ah, the first half of the animation in the “case book” was the original story, and the second half was announced as the “magic eye collection train”, but the original story is to make the “magic eye collection train” easier to understand ... ?

Mita That's what I mean. In the first half, for example, I would like to make some original stories that are completed in episodes 1 and 2, like "Detective Conan". In fact, one month between the incidents of "Adora" and "Izelma", another month between "Izelma" and "The Magical Eye Train", I have left time in the story. So, the idea of ​​the short film of the blank period is being planned.

So yeah, it seems like the first half will be used mostly to make the adapted parts easier to understand. A lot of the writing in case files doesn't exactly translate into an animated format so I certainly don't think it's Impossible to do it without it being rushed

Ok thank for the link, I understand why they do that but I'm a bit worry, 6 episodes seems a bit too short to adapt 2 volumes.
Jul 9, 2019 4:04 PM
Dec 2017
Oriotiar said:
Mami-kouga said:

Ok thank for the link, I understand why they do that but I'm a bit worry, 6 episodes seems a bit too short to adapt 2 volumes.

I assumed that as well at first but with the way Sanda writes I think it'll be fine.
Jul 10, 2019 2:03 PM

Apr 2013
this is more like episode 0 than 1 since it shows less of a what's going of and more of a developement for the show.
Hands down Gray best Assassin/girl in the show.
Jul 11, 2019 2:30 AM

Dec 2013
glassknuckles said:
I get that part, but Reines says she's Kayneth's niece and also his sister by succession
wut

Don't give it too much thought. Official English sub is trash tier.
There are several mistranslations in this episode. Just Aniplex things.

Watch Spanish sub if you can.
It's way better.
Jul 11, 2019 2:49 AM

May 2014
I saw Saber and got choked up
Also the blond loli will be the death of him I just know it
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Jul 14, 2019 7:57 AM

Aug 2018
This is probably the best spin-off Fate ever had, it balances so perfectly between Nasuverse fanservice and actual original ideas with plot and characters it's a miracle something like this exists among garbage nonsense like Apocrypha and Last Encore.

The ideals of pursuing his promise to Iskandar, the use of magic in a brand new way, fantastic comedic timing with his clumsiness and how he interacts with other characters, this is the real Velvet Waver !

I can't deny I cummed A LOT each time Iskandar appeared, especially the last very few scenes with some Gilgamesh cameos. I mean the Okeanos line WAS SO PERFECT DAMN ! THIS IS THE FANSERVICE WE WANT, NOT JUST RANDOM SERVANTS BEATING EACH OTHERS WITH NO PURPOSE !

Also the music is godlike, Yuki Kajiura almost reach Kawai Kenji's level of power with her composition with this serie, it feels so London + mystery + magecraft, it is truly the Harry Potter version of Fate.
I hope it will not use too many Kara no Kyoukai elements since I haven't watch those movies yet (and I need to really quickly)

Please Troyca give me more of this.

Jul 14, 2019 9:12 AM
Oct 2007
I was hesitating to pick this up when I saw TROYCA was behind the anime. The anime originals by that studio always looks good but fall short somehow. Aldnoah could have been one of the best anime of all time in my opinion. Re:Creators were just average despite having lots of potential.

With that said, I was so so so surprised when I saw Gilgamesh within one minute into the show. Yup, didn't read the synopsis beforehand :P
This anime is related to our beloved Fate/Stay series!!

Very dialogue heavy this episode so had to watch more before any conclusions!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2019 11:26 AM

Dec 2010
justaway_neo said:
Wow! I never knew this existed. I've always wanted to see more of Waver ever since I've finished Fate/Zero. It's really great to see him again.

idk why u even wanted more of him. this anime is basically, they gave the annoying kid his time to shine
Jul 14, 2019 10:41 PM

Aug 2017
Oh, I was expecting something like the OVA lmao.

It feels like the real prologue episode.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 17, 2019 7:23 PM

Dec 2013
It's awesome to see Waver again. I didn't think he would become the new El-Melloi. Also his hair grows insanely fast!
Jul 19, 2019 5:06 AM
Mar 2012
Waver a cute on the gorgeous backgrounds, but with that debt level feelsbad for his credit score.
Melvin's pretty strange. Lol that loli's insane as Tanya.
Don't remember much of Archibald's death but recalled his mercury ability was pretty dope.
Jul 19, 2019 1:18 PM

Jan 2013
Why they never call Iskandar: ''Alexander the Great'' just for once, lol?
Jul 19, 2019 2:01 PM

Aug 2010
giannis85 said:

Same reason why they don't refer to Heracles by Hercules. It's not what they called themselves in their lives. Iskander and Heracles are their Greecian names.
Jul 19, 2019 11:54 PM

Jan 2013
astroprogs said:
giannis85 said:

Same reason why they don't refer to Heracles by Hercules. It's not what they called themselves in their lives. Iskander and Heracles are their Greecian names.

First of all, the Greek name of Alexander is Alexandros (The Great is ''O Megas''), and as for Iscandar… that actually is his Persian/Asian/Arabic name - as they use to call him in the Middle East:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iskandar

Perhaps, the reason that the Fate franchise choose the Eastern name, was simply because the Japanese couldn't pronounce ''Alexandros'' in the right way!
Aug 3, 2019 1:03 PM
Jul 2013
Starts really well and I'm looking forward to see more. Maybe a bit too early to say, but AOTS contender for me.
Aug 14, 2019 10:50 AM

Jul 2009
A surprisingly promising start since I wasn't particularly fond of the pilot episode. Love the brief callbacks to Fate/Zero. Waver has the potential to become an interesting protagonist, so I'm looking forward to what he'll do as Kayneth's successor. As with all installments in the Fate universe, the visuals and music are top-notch.
Aug 20, 2019 1:25 PM

Sep 2014
Sadistic blonde loli nice, liked how she got fired up asking about his v-card. She seems to have grown nicely too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

As I just finished Fate/Zero not long ago Waver seemed quite a bit annoying to be honest only got a bit better towards the end of story. Will be interesting to see how he progressed since then though.
Surprised he still held respect for Kayneth and felt guilty.
Oct 11, 2019 10:03 AM

Jul 2015
Visuals looks pretty good for a spin off series, story looks interesting

Nice to see the magician side of the fate universe more

I wonder what kind of illness Melvin has puking blood like that

Dec 27, 2019 1:07 AM

Dec 2018
Waver should've known which Saber killed Kayneth then.

Waver sure is 1 ungrateful guy.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jan 17, 2021 6:11 AM

Sep 2018
A long prologue that serves to make the viewer understand well how we arrived at the current state of things. The narrative, although the naughty girl, is quite interesting because it is linked to the anime series "Fate/Zero". Perhaps this is the real reason that pushes me to watch this anime series, and why it blew me away to see an anime based on the story of a minor character like Waver. Very high technical quality and graphics, the soundtrack is not bad. The theme of magic is one of those topics that I really like, so another reason to watch this anime.
Apr 24, 2021 8:08 PM

Jan 2010
Personally, I would have had Rider's and Gilgamesh's faces not shown during this series, as it gives an air of mystique since, for most of the world, the events of Fuyuki are unknown. I'd imagine the flashback scenes to be more impactful when, through Waver's eyes, you could only see Rider's back and Gilgamesh's vestige, lending to their larger-than-life feel. On that subject, the episode told with flashbacks-in-flashbacks was a bit much too. Maybe going straight from the Fate/zero flashback, to Waver walking up to Babylon and going through that adventure, to another skip at the end with him hanging upside down before Reines could have eliminated the constant breaks in narrative. Though, I suppose the point was to show off Reines' reactions.

Anyways, the episode itself felt a bit unbalanced, but it works to at least establish Waver's determination and skills. I'm enjoying the atmosphere and OST, and I'm interested to see how it attempts to be a mystery series, despite also involving magic. With magic, there aren't really any established rules for the viewer to use, so it's hard to play detective along with the characters. As a result, any "ah ha!" moments are for the characters themselves, as Fate magic could be used to do nearly anything. Regardless, I'll see Case Files through to the end, as I'm curious about Gray's situation. I've been spoiled a bit on her, but it was out of context, so I have no idea what she's about.
Jul 18, 2021 12:35 AM
Jun 2021
Where can I watch this anime???
Jul 23, 2021 8:48 AM

Apr 2013
Seems like a good setup episode, guess from here on out we can expect new stories. Though there has to be a flashback on his assistant, her past is still unknown.
Aug 23, 2022 1:41 AM

Jan 2015
Strong beginning, I'd say. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, Waver remains a strong character.
Jul 3, 2023 9:25 AM

Jul 2019
Stupidly watched this in the wrong order (I did 2021 special first).. but ok its decent
Jul 10, 2023 7:03 AM

Nov 2010
Oh, Reines & Waver aren't related by blood. I shipped them during the prequel, thinking it would be wincest.
Alexander the Great was such a badass. It still pains me to remember him losing to Gilgamesh in Fate Zero. Okeanos!
Jul 30, 2023 7:44 AM
Jul 2023
A lil bit all over the place, but it's quite hooking.
- That reanimated sequence of the bridge scene was pretty cool
- Ah, so they aren't related shes just calling him brother because he joined the family by technicality
- Sucks that people think Artoria killed Kayneth and Sola, she did nothing wrong she was fighting Lancer.
- I hope this show doesn't rely too much on Fate/Zero later on
- I think Melvin is going to be an annoying pointless character, but it's cool that he helped him get to Fuyuki for the war
Feb 24, 9:30 AM

May 2021
Bro so traumatized after fate/zero
Mainly gilgamesh
Inhales oxygen
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2019

86 by Karva1 »»
Feb 24, 2:22 PM

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2019

60 by Karva1 »»
Feb 24, 1:13 PM

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2019

126 by Karva1 »»
Feb 24, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2019

100 by Trinity_07 »»
Jan 21, 4:19 PM

» Does anyone know why it’s called Grace Note?

the7threvival - Sep 7, 2023

3 by the7threvival »»
Sep 8, 2023 1:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.