Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2019 3:35 AM

Dec 2009
ChainxBastard said:

Autopsies have been around since 300 B.C.

That aside, do you really expect a man of Thors character to murder a slave in front of his family, then attempt to lie about it and cover it up?

Euthanasia isn't murder, and i was talking about the smart thing to do. About autopsies you're barely right, there are records from 3000BC, but since the roman empire fell there were barely performed until 1200, on vikings specifically i see no info on them having nowhere near enough medical knowledge to perform an autopsy.
If this wasn't fantasy, losing 8 healthy young goats was enough for your whole family to die of famine.
Jul 10, 2019 4:13 AM

Aug 2015
Gingko said:
As a swede, what do you think about vikings with japanese manners? What about the mind set of viking society? Do you think that´s the way vikings look at the slaves? What about the social scale? what are the mc and the bad guy? Jarls ? hersirs ?

I cant understand why there are some many people hyped with this and rating the show as a masterpiece when its clear that who created this story dont know anything about the vikings, and its a shame that someone could even think that this show had the same quality as the HBO series.

I have not read the manga so I don't know if the anime deviates from that in any way, but judging from people's reactions on the show I will assume not.

This is a Japanese show made primarily for a Japanese audience, it's very hard for a director to notice when they accidentally include everyday manners from their own culture. Just look at American movies trying to depict events that takes place in other countries, they still do the typical American thing where all people cheer, stand up and clap their hands when someone is successful with something. I facepalm every time. It can be subtle things we do unconsciously such as how Europeans keep the fork in the same hand while eating while Americans usually switch hand for the fork from cutting to eating. Vinland Saga is also an animated series, they can make slight changes to history or make things up to fit the story. This isn't a huge 40 million dollar budget HBO production, I doubt the team behind it has time and resources to go in-depth with viking research or hire a professional. I'm going to assume they take most of the facts from the source material.

I'm no expert on viking history just cause I'm Swedish so you're probably just better off reading about it yourself if you want answers. That being said, from the little I do know I think they captured aspects from viking culture very well. "it's clear that who created this story don't know anything about the vikings" you say, but you ignore the fact that a lot of characters in the story are based on real people, which means the writer of the manga must surely have read some history about it. The author correctly excludes the silly horns commonly shown on their helmets which the vikings never used in battle and they correctly say that vikings bathe on Saturdays.

As for slaves I'm not exactly sure what you mean, afaik there's not a huge amount of information regarding viking slaves in Scandinavia other than that they were used for farming and the creation of runestones. About how they try to help the slave in the show from the mean guy with the chains, I don't think they are suggesting that there were people back then being this nice to slaves, it's obviously just because of the father's personality and desire to help people. I just took a look at an article and read that there is a runestone in Denmark raised by a former slave which says his master released him and gave him money for outstanding work, so I wouldn't say it's an impossible situation.

I think you should approach this series with the mindset that it is a work of fiction and not a documentary drama.
JokucJul 10, 2019 4:25 AM
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Jul 10, 2019 8:02 AM

Apr 2019
Jokuc said:
Gingko said:
As a swede, what do you think about vikings with japanese manners? What about the mind set of viking society? Do you think that´s the way vikings look at the slaves? What about the social scale? what are the mc and the bad guy? Jarls ? hersirs ?

I cant understand why there are some many people hyped with this and rating the show as a masterpiece when its clear that who created this story dont know anything about the vikings, and its a shame that someone could even think that this show had the same quality as the HBO series.

I have not read the manga so I don't know if the anime deviates from that in any way, but judging from people's reactions on the show I will assume not.

This is a Japanese show made primarily for a Japanese audience, it's very hard for a director to notice when they accidentally include everyday manners from their own culture. Just look at American movies trying to depict events that takes place in other countries, they still do the typical American thing where all people cheer, stand up and clap their hands when someone is successful with something. I facepalm every time. It can be subtle things we do unconsciously such as how Europeans keep the fork in the same hand while eating while Americans usually switch hand for the fork from cutting to eating. Vinland Saga is also an animated series, they can make slight changes to history or make things up to fit the story. This isn't a huge 40 million dollar budget HBO production, I doubt the team behind it has time and resources to go in-depth with viking research or hire a professional. I'm going to assume they take most of the facts from the source material.

I'm no expert on viking history just cause I'm Swedish so you're probably just better off reading about it yourself if you want answers. That being said, from the little I do know I think they captured aspects from viking culture very well. "it's clear that who created this story don't know anything about the vikings" you say, but you ignore the fact that a lot of characters in the story are based on real people, which means the writer of the manga must surely have read some history about it. The author correctly excludes the silly horns commonly shown on their helmets which the vikings never used in battle and they correctly say that vikings bathe on Saturdays.

As for slaves I'm not exactly sure what you mean, afaik there's not a huge amount of information regarding viking slaves in Scandinavia other than that they were used for farming and the creation of runestones. About how they try to help the slave in the show from the mean guy with the chains, I don't think they are suggesting that there were people back then being this nice to slaves, it's obviously just because of the father's personality and desire to help people. I just took a look at an article and read that there is a runestone in Denmark raised by a former slave which says his master released him and gave him money for outstanding work, so I wouldn't say it's an impossible situation.

I think you should approach this series with the mindset that it is a work of fiction and not a documentary drama.

Do you have an idea of how many people have seen the scene while they were working on it? editors, producers, animators... its a lot of people and none of them noticed the ridiculousness of it.

I knew there are a couple of real names in the show and the horns stuff is common knowledge, they did some good stuff there, but that´s dont change the fact that they screw up with others.

The MC paid 8 sheeps for a dead body from a slave, it just doesnt make any sense, a guy could be kind with the slaves in some way, yeah, but the MC act like the fuckin Jesus. The ethic and morality are social construction so the sensibilty of character must accomplish his social/cultural standards, that´s what a good character does,

Anyway, I wont be able to enjoy this show, its ok , its my problem. I´m used to accept that a lot of poor shows are highly rated by the majority of anime fans.
GingkoJul 10, 2019 8:06 AM
Jul 10, 2019 8:25 AM

Apr 2018
Gingko said:
The MC paid 8 sheeps for a dead body from a slave, it just doesnt make any sense, a guy could be kind with the slaves in some way, yeah, but the MC act like the fuckin Jesus. The ethic and morality are social construction so the sensibilty of character must accomplish his social/cultural standards, that´s what a good character does,
I'm sorry, I just want to correct something here : he's not a MC.
Jul 10, 2019 8:55 AM

Mar 2018
@Gingko
The ethic and morality are social construction so the sensibilty of character must accomplish his social/cultural standards, that´s what a good character does,
Lol you're telling me not once did you think he deviated from the norm? Not after his daughter asked him to take slaves, and he refused? Fair enough, I'm sure there won't be any reason

You also do not even give the story a chance to give any exposition, this is the first episode, you're assuming way too much. You say there isn't any reseach done on the basis of what? Information not yet given because there was no need for it in the content and context of this episode? Why do you already need to know who everyone is?

In that scene they are next to his body and giving him treatment, nitpicking to its finest lmao. Wdym Japanese manners? In none of the other scenes are they sitting like that. You really thought you noticed a flaw here huh? I rewatched a bit of the first episode and yep kids are sitting on the floor without care, adults sit on a bench etc. I don't know how you can go out of your way to screenshot this, not think twice about it, and insult your own intelligence telling everyone the creators are dumb and made a mistake by implementing Japanese manners. They put his body close to the fire because he was frozen, they want to help him so they sit as close as possible.

@TsukuyomiREKT @Jokuc You're not wrong lmao, without thinking about it he was convinced it was a flaw. Normally I don't care but when he himself makes a big deal out of it insulting the creators nah bro. They have furniture and were only sitting like that to aid a dying man laying on the floor. Unless there's any research people not born in Japan are unable to move their body in a position like that there's no flaw to be found here.

EsquirtitJul 10, 2019 10:07 AM
poop
Jul 10, 2019 10:22 AM

Aug 2015
Gingko said:
Do you have an idea of how many people have seen the scene while they were working on it? editors, producers, animators... its a lot of people and none of them noticed the ridiculousness of it.

Do you have any idea of how busy people working with anime are? Animators work a billion hours a day, producers and editors often work on multiple projects at once. They have a shit ton of work to do. Even if they did not it's not their job to make changes to the story. Writers and Directors do this usually before the animation work even start and while you are right that - with these included - there are people who can make changes for the anime, there's literally no reason for them to spend time on changes like that. Changes to the source material has to be written, re-written, edited, reviewed and approved. And that after they consider whether the change will piss off the manga fans or not. While I do agree with you that a viking trading 8 sheep (which were super valuable for them) for an almost dead slave is very unlikely, it's such a minor detail I think it's rather silly how that bothers you.

Gingko said:
Anyway, I wont be able to enjoy this show, its ok , its my problem. I´m used to accept that a lot of poor shows are highly rated by the majority of anime fans.

I mean.. I don't wanna be that guy, but you complain about cultural accuracy and the main character (who actually isn't the main character, but whatever) acting unrealistic like a Jesus in a historical series, yet you rate Golden Kamuy 10/10 where Sugimoto is basically the Terminator? I get it, it's a made up story but Golden Kamuy is also a pretty grounded series with a lot of historical aspects to the show. They get some stuff wrong there as well and that is about their own country.
JokucJul 10, 2019 10:25 AM
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Jul 10, 2019 10:47 AM

May 2015
@Esquirtit Yeah, I thought his "criticism" was stupid but just like you, what actually bothered me was him saying that Yukimura didn't know or care about the actual history of the Vikings. Which is just blatantly untrue and you don't even have to have read the manga to see that. You can tell pretty easily that while yes, liberties are taken here and there, there's an immense respect for the culture and he tried to stay true to the period as much as he could.

Jul 10, 2019 11:44 AM

Apr 2019
Esquirtit said:
@Gingko
The ethic and morality are social construction so the sensibilty of character must accomplish his social/cultural standards, that´s what a good character does,
Lol you're telling me not once did you think he deviated from the norm? Not after his daughter asked him to take slaves, and he refused? Fair enough, I'm sure there won't be any reason

You also do not even give the story a chance to give any exposition, this is the first episode, you're assuming way too much. You say there isn't any reseach done on the basis of what? Information not yet given because there was no need for it in the content and context of this episode? Why do you already need to know who everyone is?

In that scene they are next to his body and giving him treatment, nitpicking to its finest lmao. Wdym Japanese manners? In none of the other scenes are they sitting like that. You really thought you noticed a flaw here huh? I rewatched a bit of the first episode and yep kids are sitting on the floor without care, adults sit on a bench etc. I don't know how you can go out of your way to screenshot this, not think twice about it, and insult your own intelligence telling everyone the creators are dumb and made a mistake by implementing Japanese manners. They put his body close to the fire because he was frozen, they want to help him so they sit as close as possible.

@TsukuyomiREKT @Jokuc You're not wrong lmao, without thinking about it he was convinced it was a flaw. Normally I don't care but when he himself makes a big deal out of it insulting the creators nah bro. They have furniture and were only sitting like that to aid a dying man laying on the floor. Unless there's any research people not born in Japan are unable to move their body in a position like that there's no flaw to be found here.

First of all , I didnt insult the creators, I didnt say they are dumb, I said the show isnt serious , I said that they didnt have in mind how real viking society looks like, so I assumed that their research was poor.

The scene I posted was just an example, there are other many things that are wrong. Anyways if you are sayin that way to sit down is used in any circumstance in western societies you are wrong, even if someone tries to help a sick person, they wont sit down like that. You are just tryin to ignore a mistake.

Esquirtit said:
@Gingko

First of all , I didnt insult the creators, I didnt say they are dumb, I said the show isnt serious , I said that they didnt have in mind how real viking society looks like, so I assumed that their research was poor.

The scene I posted was just an example, there are other many things that are wrong. Anyways if you are sayin that way to sit down is used in any circumstance in western societies you are wrong, even if someone tries to help a sick person, they wont sit down like that. You are just tryin to ignore a mistake.

Jokuc said:
Gingko said:

Do you have any idea of how busy people working with anime are? Animators work a billion hours a day, producers and editors often work on multiple projects at once. They have a shit ton of work to do. Even if they did not it's not their job to make changes to the story. Writers and Directors do this usually before the animation work even start and while you are right that - with these included - there are people who can make changes for the anime, there's literally no reason for them to spend time on changes like that. Changes to the source material has to be written, re-written, edited, reviewed and approved. And that after they consider whether the change will piss off the manga fans or not. While I do agree with you that a viking trading 8 sheep (which were super valuable for them) for an almost dead slave is very unlikely, it's such a minor detail I think it's rather silly how that bothers you.

Gingko said:

I mean.. I don't wanna be that guy, but you complain about cultural accuracy and the main character (who actually isn't the main character, but whatever) acting unrealistic like a Jesus in a historical series, yet you rate Golden Kamuy 10/10 where Sugimoto is basically the Terminator? I get it, it's a made up story but Golden Kamuy is also a pretty grounded series with a lot of historical aspects to the show. They get some stuff wrong there as well and that is about their own country.

I rated Golden Kamuy like that for many sentimental reasons, not just its great historical accurancy and the obvious great research they did about the Ainus. These shows arent even close.

But again, whatever, if you want to eat me alive just for asking some kind of respect for history in an historical show its ok . The whole point of this is that I´m stupid cause I care about mistakes and you dont.

This is why criticizing an anime show is so exhausting, everytime it becomes a witch-hunt. How the fuck.do you guys expect that the rest of the world takes the anime seriously?

Anyways I ´m tired of this I´ll go to write a story about a black pope in the medieval era.

GingkoJul 10, 2019 11:47 AM
Jul 10, 2019 12:24 PM
Oct 2017
@Gingko

First of all, FYI, the author of this series is also the author of Planetes, which you seem to enjoy. While the anime has quite a bit of liberty like adding characters and doing some original stuff, I think you would agree that it is a series that doesn't lack research.

Second, Thor is a character that is clearly portrayed to be different from the rest around him. The series has made it obvious that he has developed a much different perspective and moral than the other Vikings, which is why he decided to stop being one. He's meant to be an eccentric man in the time he's in because he is supposed to be one of those people who are a step ahead of their time.

Also, Thor was sitting like that because he's doing CPR. That's not something you do in a cross-legged position, it's unintuitive. The manga doesn't show him sitting like that outright, and he was spreading his legs at an angle instead of having it straight in front like how Japanese people usually sit. So it's not meant to be a Japanese pose. As for the animation team, it's as another poster said. I'd also like to add that no matter whether it's a book or a film, it's rare for other cultures to be shown accurately when the author doesn't actually live there for real and especially when the cultures are very different, and that goes for everywhere. It's also easier to make mistakes when the entire setting is in that other culture. Maybe the problem you have is more general than that. it's just that often times you don't notice the mistakes because you don't know about those cultures enough.
NielloJul 10, 2019 12:34 PM
Jul 10, 2019 12:41 PM

Mar 2018
@Gingko Eh they just seem to kneel down to me, not really weird to do that when interacting with anything on the floor sometimes. I know I've done it myself enough times, and I know others who did around me. Either way they only did in this context (giving aid), by saying they don't accurately portray the viking era because of this reason you're showing faggotry. This isn't how they normally sit down, like you can see for yourself watching all the other scenes, it was only done to look over his body. Japanese people doing it is has an entire different background.

Anyways if you are sayin that way to sit down is used in any circumstance in western societies you are wrong
LOL prove it. Prove me kneeling down like that doesn't happen anywhere else but Japan. Just stop dude, every fucking human can kneel down like that, it's not exclusive to the Japanese, it's just actual tradition there. Not once in this anime is it portrayed as a manner of the vikings so you're criticism is false I don't care how you want to spin it. Come with proof that not once in western civilization has a human kneeled down like that.

You pretty much implied anyone thinking this is high quality or a serious story has to be shamed so yeah you did.

Your other problems can simply be helped by watching further and not nitpicking, it's not a documentary. The other stuff you said will get touched upon, you assumed too fast. I don't know which other problems you have but they must be minor if you didn't want to post them.

@Niello I already assumed his position wouldn't look like that in the manga. OK the anime staff made it look a bit too formal REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH LACK OF RESEARCH RIDICULOUSNESS. It's still not a pose anyone outside of Japan couldn't do, and he leans over a lot. I'll look up how different it is in the manga cuz I'm curious

EsquirtitJul 10, 2019 12:50 PM
poop
Jul 10, 2019 2:04 PM

Aug 2017
The first episode was much better than overhyped Dr. Stone and Fire Force.

Can't wait for more.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 10, 2019 6:16 PM
Feb 2016
Grim1952 said:
ChainxBastard said:

Autopsies have been around since 300 B.C.

That aside, do you really expect a man of Thors character to murder a slave in front of his family, then attempt to lie about it and cover it up?

Euthanasia isn't murder, and i was talking about the smart thing to do. About autopsies you're barely right, there are records from 3000BC, but since the roman empire fell there were barely performed until 1200, on vikings specifically i see no info on them having nowhere near enough medical knowledge to perform an autopsy.
If this wasn't fantasy, losing 8 healthy young goats was enough for your whole family to die of famine.

Putting someone else's slave to death that you do not own is essentially murder. Halfdan would have had his head or the village's head. Or he would have demanded compensation in the amount equal to or more than the slave was bought for.

He gave up eight healthy young goats because he could afford to do so. Also remember that Leif Erikson was planning a trip to England to trade as well to help the village get through the winter.

Thors did the humane thing, which is not common place during this time and era. That's what that scene was about. Not self-preservation at the expense of human dignity.
Jul 10, 2019 6:21 PM
Feb 2016
Stop feeding the troll.

@Gingko rated Golden Kamuy a 10/10 which is extremely contrived for "personal reasons" then wants to nitpick another series in a thread where people are rightfully praising the deeper concepts that are being explored.

He's also a huge fan of Planetes....which is made by the same author no less.

It's obvious that this anime isn't for him. Just ignore him. You're talking to a rock
Jul 10, 2019 6:48 PM

Apr 2019
ChainxBastard said:
Stop feeding the troll.

@Gingko rated Golden Kamuy a 10/10 which is extremely contrived for "personal reasons" then wants to nitpick another series in a thread where people are rightfully praising the deeper concepts that are being explored.

It's obvious that this anime isn't for him. Just ignore him. You're talking to a rock

I find your comment really offensive.

Golden Kamuy could be rated 8/10 easily with any emotional perspective, the 10/10 is the personal stuff not the fact that Golden Kamuy is a really good show.

About Planetes, its the second time that someone talks about that, am I bound to like every creation of an author if I liked one of them? I cant undestand why.

I´ve already watched the others 2 episodes and I will keep watchin the show, but it still has some wrong stuffs.

The show is funny, I´ve never said the opposite, its ok, 6/10, so dont be so salty.

btw I´d love to know which are those deep concepts.
Jul 10, 2019 8:05 PM

Oct 2008
Since it's from WIT Studio...this is gonna be superb!
OP & ED was a banger!
5/5.

Jul 10, 2019 9:51 PM

Apr 2015
Op just gets better everytime i listen to. At first I didn't like it. But now is different.
Jul 10, 2019 10:15 PM

Dec 2013
I'm so hyped to see this series animated. I can't wait for Thorkell!

Loving the opening.
Jul 11, 2019 5:04 AM

Aug 2012
Good start but a number of problems with it: 1. slavs were not slaves . 2. No one seemed to have helmets but both the vikings and the people living on their raiding routes used helmets 3. Vinland is referring to N America but that person says there are no slaves there. In reality the American tribes had lots and lots of slaves especially to sacrifice to their deities. And they were not so peaceful. In fact the vikings had to fight with them a lot. And the only reason they left is because they gave leadership rights to Freydís Eiríksdóttir . She broke the law and they had to leave to avoid having her executed.
Jul 11, 2019 5:16 AM
Sep 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
Good start but a number of problems with it: 1. slavs were not slaves . 2. No one seemed to have helmets but both the vikings and the people living on their raiding routes used helmets 3. Vinland is referring to N America but that person says there are no slaves there. In reality the American tribes had lots and lots of slaves especially to sacrifice to their deities. And they were not so peaceful. In fact the vikings had to fight with them a lot. And the only reason they left is because they gave leadership rights to Freydís Eiríksdóttir . She broke the law and they had to leave to avoid having her executed.

1: I don't think it has to do with the race it belongs to, if you are caught or taken prisoner you can be sold as a slave.
3: Leif didn't stay long during the first expedition, probably a few weeks, probably they had to repair the ships, in fact the war with the natives certainly will burst out in the manga with thorfinn, it is repeated at thorfin by a certain character in the last chapters that does not exist a place without wars.
Jul 11, 2019 6:30 AM

Aug 2012
thekillfra said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

1: I don't think it has to do with the race it belongs to, if you are caught or taken prisoner you can be sold as a slave.
3: Leif didn't stay long during the first expedition, probably a few weeks, probably they had to repair the ships, in fact the war with the natives certainly will burst out in the manga with thorfinn, it is repeated at thorfin by a certain character in the last chapters that does not exist a place without wars.
1. agree although slav is an ethnicity not race. Thing is slavs did not have much to do with norsemen until much later when after some skirmishes Russians took some land from the finns
3. ohk, I assume you are correct
Jul 11, 2019 6:56 AM

Dec 2014
Very weak first episode.

Don't get me wrong it had great animation, but in terms of character and story building it was unable to even remotely hook me.

I still have no brought myself to watch Episode 2 and 3 which might change my opinion but damn they really did a bad job making me interested in their world.
Jul 11, 2019 12:03 PM
Oct 2017
nightcrawlercyp said:
Good start but a number of problems with it: 1. slavs were not slaves. 2. No one seemed to have helmets but both the vikings and the people living on their raiding routes used helmets

1. I'm pretty sure the show isn't trying to say that slavs were slaves. It's that they were trying to say he's far from his homeland.

2. I'm also pretty sure this village wasn't on the raiding routes because Thors settled down there precisely because he doesn't want anything to do with them.
Jul 11, 2019 12:57 PM

Oct 2018
elementex said:
This is boring af, and where's the waifus?

You've already met the perfect waifu. His name is Thorkell.
Jul 11, 2019 2:19 PM
Feb 2016
Gingko said:
ChainxBastard said:
Stop feeding the troll.

Golden Kamuy could be rated 8/10 easily with any emotional perspective, the 10/10 is the personal stuff not the fact that Golden Kamuy is a really good show.

About Planetes, its the second time that someone talks about that, am I bound to like every creation of an author if I liked one of them? I cant undestand why.

I´ve already watched the others 2 episodes and I will keep watchin the show, but it still has some wrong stuffs.

The show is funny, I´ve never said the opposite, its ok, 6/10, so dont be so salty.

"Easily" with "emotional perspective"? Are you serious?

This is why I can't get behind how some of you rate anime/manga. You project your lives and yourself into them and ignore their flaws while then turning around and nitpicking other shows.

It's about consistency and having a proven track record. Not every movie from the same director will be good, but it will be at the very least as accurate as possible since they will have the same attention to detail.

It doesn't have much wrong with it at all since it operates from a different angle than most shows. It's clearly trying its hardest as to not glorify violence.

Which, is one of the deeper concepts.

Like when Thors stood up intimidatingly after Halfdan mentioned that he had to torture the slave in front of the others. In any other half-assed show they would have Thors either beat the shit out of them or at least try to stand up to Halfdan and his goons with the threat of physical violence.

That's why the camera panned to how massive Thors was in comparison to them and why him standing up was so sudden. Yet in spite of that, he was willing to give up far more than his fair share of ewes to preserve the dignity of a slave that he never even met or knew. There is no price on human dignity.

Then there's Thors telling his son, Thorfinn, that he has no enemies. It's pretty obvious that Thors is a man who sticks out like a sore thumb. Even his own kids don't understand him, the only person who seems to is his wife, Helga.

I'm sure that more will be explored later either through him or through Thorfinn, or both, but regardless the anime has masterfully set up the premise and the narrative without force feeding it to us.
Jul 11, 2019 3:14 PM

May 2018
Wow, this was rather amazing, and has restored my jaded faith in new seasonal anime. I'm sorry, but I felt pretty damn disappointed by Reincarnated as a Slime, Shield Hero, Fruits Basket 2019, Midnight Occult Civil Servants LOL. If the quality keeps up throughout the 24 episodes we're all in for a serious treat!

Jul 11, 2019 7:23 PM

Apr 2019
ChainxBastard said:
Gingko said:

"Easily" with "emotional perspective"? Are you serious?

This is why I can't get behind how some of you rate anime/manga. You project your lives and yourself into them and ignore their flaws while then turning around and nitpicking other shows.

It's about consistency and having a proven track record. Not every movie from the same director will be good, but it will be at the very least as accurate as possible since they will have the same attention to detail.

It doesn't have much wrong with it at all since it operates from a different angle than most shows. It's clearly trying its hardest as to not glorify violence.

Which, is one of the deeper concepts.

Like when Thors stood up intimidatingly after Halfdan mentioned that he had to torture the slave in front of the others. In any other half-assed show they would have Thors either beat the shit out of them or at least try to stand up to Halfdan and his goons with the threat of physical violence.

That's why the camera panned to how massive Thors was in comparison to them and why him standing up was so sudden. Yet in spite of that, he was willing to give up far more than his fair share of ewes to preserve the dignity of a slave that he never even met or knew. There is no price on human dignity.

Then there's Thors telling his son, Thorfinn, that he has no enemies. It's pretty obvious that Thors is a man who sticks out like a sore thumb. Even his own kids don't understand him, the only person who seems to is his wife, Helga.

I'm sure that more will be explored later either through him or through Thorfinn, or both, but regardless the anime has masterfully set up the premise and the narrative without force feeding it to us.

mb, without any emotional perspective*.
Jul 12, 2019 6:25 AM

Apr 2018
This is pretty interesting. Op and Ed was pretty nice as well
Jul 12, 2019 8:04 AM

Jun 2016
The opening scene reminded me of viking's opening theme.
they should show more respect to Leif Eriksson, the dude discovered America 5 centuries before Columbus
Jul 12, 2019 9:17 AM

Feb 2017
nightcrawlercyp said:
Thing is slavs did not have much to do with norsemen until much later when after some skirmishes Russians took some land from the finns

Year in the show is 1002. That's century and a half after Ruirk established Rurikid dynasty in Rus. So Norsemen and Slavs have a lot to do with each other at that time. Also, Norsemen were in contact with Slavs for a long time. Slavs lived and still live just on the opposite side of the Baltic sea in Pomerania.
Jul 12, 2019 9:54 AM

Aug 2012
Tsarko said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Thing is slavs did not have much to do with norsemen until much later when after some skirmishes Russians took some land from the finns

Year in the show is 1002. That's century and a half after Ruirk established Rurikid dynasty in Rus. So Norsemen and Slavs have a lot to do with each other at that time. Also, Norsemen were in contact with Slavs for a long time. Slavs lived and still live just on the opposite side of the Baltic sea in Pomerania.
good point. I still do not believe norsemen had slav slaves but good point
Jul 12, 2019 10:29 AM

Feb 2017
nightcrawlercyp said:
Tsarko said:

Why is that not believable to you? That was common for that period. Vikings would raid villages and take slaves, be it Frankish, English, Slavic or some other Norsemen village. So that guy from episode 1 probably lived somewhere in Pomerania, his village got raided one day and he was taken as a slave. Nothing unbelievable there.
Jul 12, 2019 11:10 AM

Aug 2012
Tsarko said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

Why is that not believable to you? That was common for that period. Vikings would raid villages and take slaves, be it Frankish, English, Slavic or some other Norsemen village. So that guy from episode 1 probably lived somewhere in Pomerania, his village got raided one day and he was taken as a slave. Nothing unbelievable there.
I think the slavs had a better army at that point but is possible.
Jul 12, 2019 11:13 PM

Jun 2016
Great episode. The art was really detailed and you can tell the animation had some effort put into it--there's still some CGI used, which is unfortunate, but I shouldn't really have expected otherwise.

By the look of the OP (and the hints in the episode), I presume the kid is gonna be the main character? That sucks, I was hoping the dad (a DILF, by the way) was gonna be MC.
Jul 13, 2019 12:38 AM

Jan 2019
gotterdammerung said:
Great episode. The art was really detailed and you can tell the animation had some effort put into it--there's still some CGI used, which is unfortunate, but I shouldn't really have expected otherwise.

By the look of the OP (and the hints in the episode), I presume the kid is gonna be the main character? That sucks, I was hoping the dad (a DILF, by the way) was gonna be MC.

From the PVs you should expect nothing else. Btw I realy like Thors.
Merciful lies or painful truth?
Jul 13, 2019 12:50 AM

Jun 2016
Momentay said:

To be completely honest, I didn't watch the PVs (or look at the synopsis, really)--I just saw the name while I was looking through this season's anime and decided to pick it up right then and there since I had heard some good things about the manga.

But now, having just watched the PVs after reading your post, I see what you mean, lol
Jul 13, 2019 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
It's been a few years since I've read the manga, and I've got to say, the whole pacifist idealogue bullshit is even more forced than I remember it. It's a falsified, simplified account of history, rife with black-and-white morality.
Jul 13, 2019 3:01 AM

Jan 2019
gotterdammerung said:
Momentay said:

To be completely honest, I didn't watch the PVs (or look at the synopsis, really)--I just saw the name while I was looking through this season's anime and decided to pick it up right then and there since I had heard some good things about the manga.

But now, having just watched the PVs after reading your post, I see what you mean, lol

Yep, also the opening spoils it. :D I realy hope - even if my taste not fit with the setting - that this will be a very good show and the mc will be a different lvl character compared to other animes' mc.
Merciful lies or painful truth?
Jul 13, 2019 3:19 AM

Jun 2012
There really is nothing to complain about this type of animation. And those CGI and backgrounds are just picture perfect. Hope this quality remains consistent.
Jul 13, 2019 3:25 AM

Jun 2012
And that ending!!! I'm surprised and happy to hear of Aimer singing a bit of English for anime theme songs again. And it was just so fitting for the ED MV.
Jul 13, 2019 5:13 AM

Jan 2016
Phenomenal atmosphere. I haven't been this excited for an airing anime (that I knew nothing about) in a while.
Jul 13, 2019 6:38 AM

Mar 2012
Parthostic said:
Phenomenal atmosphere. I haven't been this excited for an airing anime (that I knew nothing about) in a while.

And it's just the start, the manga is better and better.
Jul 13, 2019 11:58 AM

Aug 2008
Graphically it's a pleasing breath of fresh air it the landfill of moe and plain shounen/romcom designs but the beginning and the end of the episode left very bad aftertaste.

It started with something I came to hate: random battle without a context. This trope can get a pass only if it's intriguing or plain awesome. Here it was just horrible choreography. Man jumping between conveniently placed boats, cutting through cardboard cutouts of people and then fighting in water as if he was floating in the air. That scene screamed it wants to be cool but was just awful instead.

Then the end which made me despise the MC. Cretin who doomed his family. His sickly wife, young son and daughter. And for what? To buy a corpse and flex his nonsensical, ahistorical morality. Fucking hell. It completely killed my will to continue watching. You have realistic design, some semblance of brutality and realism in the world but it all gets crossed out but tough guy acting like a moron in every other shounen/romcom series where common sense is banned.

Start and finish are two places you really don't want to fuck up...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 13, 2019 2:47 PM

Oct 2017
Antanaru said:
Graphically it's a pleasing breath of fresh air it the landfill of moe and plain shounen/romcom designs but the beginning and the end of the episode left very bad aftertaste.

It started with something I came to hate: random battle without a context. This trope can get a pass only if it's intriguing or plain awesome. Here it was just horrible choreography. Man jumping between conveniently placed boats, cutting through cardboard cutouts of people and then fighting in water as if he was floating in the air. That scene screamed it wants to be cool but was just awful instead.

Then the end which made me despise the MC. Cretin who doomed his family. His sickly wife, young son and daughter. And for what? To buy a corpse and flex his nonsensical, ahistorical morality. Fucking hell. It completely killed my will to continue watching. You have realistic design, some semblance of brutality and realism in the world but it all gets crossed out but tough guy acting like a moron in every other shounen/romcom series where common sense is banned.

Start and finish are two places you really don't want to fuck up...

What? The battle has a point showing he faked his death. Second point how did he doom his family? They have lots of other livestock. Ultimately they were hoping they could save him and yeah he didn't want to send the slave back so that his last moments in life were to be tortured to death if they couldn't. Also ahistoric morality? How is that ahistorical? You think mercy is a modern concept? There is a literal patron saint a Norse noble who put his life down to save a slave girl from unjust treatment in his eyes. So no it's not ahistorical. Some people live and die on principle than just base survival call it stupid but whatever.

Also Thors isn't the MC but granted considering your issues good idea not to continue because while you may like Thorfinn for the rest of this season as well as the other characters you will hate where the series goes if it gets another season.
BilboBaggins365Jul 13, 2019 3:20 PM
Jul 13, 2019 4:02 PM
Jul 2019
Dropped anime very bad
Jul 13, 2019 7:05 PM

Jan 2019
Seth1 said:
Dropped anime very bad

It's at these times I find it difficult to understand the mind and thought process of some people.
Unless this guy is a troll of course, that's very well a chance.
Jul 13, 2019 8:37 PM

Jan 2013
Thors is a good man for paying for the slave to die peacefully.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 13, 2019 9:25 PM

Jun 2013
Why did Wit Studio copy Mappa's CGI motorcycle opening sequence? lol I'm an idiot so please shed some light on this. Are they sister companies or something?

Anyways, that was fucking beautiful. I started reading the manga about two years ago and I have always waited for this series to be animated. Wit Studio delivered and I jizzed throughout the episode. The animation is clean and gorgeous, the CGI is tastefully done. People complaining about CGI will be disappointed because A LOT, if not, ALL anime from now on will contain some elements of CGI.

I was so happy to see Thorkell, he's one of my favorite characters aside from Thors, Thorfinn, Lleif, Ylva and the others.

Even Halfdan and the way he used his chain and the gruesome details on his chain afterward were great.

Also, both OP and ED are amazing.
BibimbapskiJul 13, 2019 9:48 PM
臭い-
Jul 13, 2019 10:56 PM

Jan 2016
HaarWyvern said:
Parthostic said:

And it's just the start, the manga is better and better.
Yeah I'm super tempted to start reading it just because I doubt I can wait 2/3 weeks before the next episode.
Jul 13, 2019 11:13 PM

Apr 2015
This anime is going to be amazing, I can feel it!
Jul 14, 2019 4:32 AM

Feb 2017
Bibimbapski said:
Why did Wit Studio copy Mappa's CGI motorcycle opening sequence? lol I'm an idiot so please shed some light on this. Are they sister companies or something?

That's Twin Engine company intro. Twin Engine is a production company that funded Dororo, Vinland Saga and other anime.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1747/Twin_Engine
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.