Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 6, 2019 1:50 AM
Apr 2016
nani ? Nani? NAni? NANi ? NANI?
Jul 6, 2019 2:18 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Thats quite the ominous red moon there. To think that a night trip to school ended up introducing such a new situation though. So a illusionary world that only mages can access huh. Mangetsu sure picked the wrong time to be transported into the illusionary world though. Still its good that her latent mage abilities were able to awaken. Hmm a strong first ep that while doing well in introducing the main cast and setting also featured some well designed mecha battles. The combo of mecha combat with spells makes for quite the interesting combo which when used with the battle royal concept makes for quite the premise. Looking forward to see how this series plays out. While the ep was more action heavy than expected for an opening ep the fact that you can clearly see that the girls were fighting in teams really served to eliminate that problem that would have showed up had it not made it clear.
ShingsterJul 6, 2019 2:21 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2019 2:21 AM

Oct 2007
Shingetsu eats food fast like a hungry stray cat! hehe :p

I liked the action. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 6, 2019 5:06 AM

Aug 2013
Art quality, animation (and mechas without cancerous 3DCG are always appreciated), character design, sound effects and voice acting are phenomenal (I'm not a fan of blockbuster-like OSTs though), but I'm not sure if I'm interested in this story at all. But I'm not dropping it yet of course. Mainly because of visuals.
rsc-plJul 6, 2019 5:30 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 6, 2019 7:23 AM

Nov 2016
I feel like this will be the "Sleeper" Hit of the season. One of those shows rated very poorly but starts getting highly rated after 6-8 weeks because of word of mouth.

I personally really liked this episode. The designs were very Re;ZERO-ish but in a good way. The episode itself was a Clusterfuck but in the Trigger/Gainax way even though its not by them.

Seems like this will be a Battle Royale with Mechas and maybe even Magical Girls. The design of the characters while they were in the Armanox felt kind of like something from a Mahou Shoujo so maybe we will gety some out of Armanox combat. Its was shown in the expo dump that at the start the mages used their magic on their own before creating the Armanox so that is a possibity.

The OP and ED were fantastic. This is another One of those I want in OSU asap. The bad thing is that I can't Map for shit so I'll wait for someone to map them (Sotarks will probably be the first one to map them tho).

This is Another Keeper for me Boys.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2019 7:40 AM
Sep 2016
Animation and character designs are really nice, i'm not sure quite what happened though, gonna have to watch more to see if i'll stick with it.
Jul 6, 2019 8:45 AM

Sep 2015
This was fine. People did some really bad reviews about the preview but this first episode was completely fine by any angle.
Jul 6, 2019 9:26 AM

Jun 2013
The mecha design is meh
Jul 6, 2019 9:31 AM

Mar 2014
I enjoyed the first episode and am thrilled for more. I guess the bad score comes from people disliking that there wasn't really an introduction?
Jul 6, 2019 9:35 AM

Dec 2014
Agree with the people saying the mech designs could be better, I kinda wish they were taller, the chibi like style makes it a little weird.

Apart from that nitpick, I quite liked this. Not sure how the story and stuff will turn out but the action sequences and the animation are great. At worst, even if the story is bad we know that it'll at least have some eye candy animation.

Shingetsu's outfit is great.
Jul 6, 2019 9:39 AM

Feb 2019
Madoka and Homura aren't looking too hot right now (actually, Homura kind of is).

It was an okay episode, it could be promising, but only time will tell.
Jul 6, 2019 9:41 AM
Jan 2018
ill watch this to see how it pans out
Jul 6, 2019 9:56 AM

Mar 2016
This has potential to be a great series, but it's just a bad step to fall really bad. It deserves the 3 episode rule, not an instant drop, so I'll stick with it for now.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jul 6, 2019 10:06 AM
Feb 2019
It was great! It's very well produced, the show is beautiful, the only thing I didn't liked was the mecha design that seemed that was cut in half but I think they did that to be easier to animate, the character design is really cute, being the same as Re:Zero I definitely dig it but some characters look exactly like ones in Re:Zero
Jul 6, 2019 10:35 AM
Jun 2017
-Stray said:
Aaaand drop, its not for me.
same for me , and i dropped with 4/10 after watching the opening is nothing new , as another users said is a mix of Madoka + re:zero + Mecha , mixed normally finished bad just remember "drama in the frank" few seasons ago.
Jul 6, 2019 10:37 AM

Dec 2018
We are greeted by the kind hearted cute girl named Mangetsu,, and right away i have myself a waifu,, Pink hair colour waifus are often very good and well behaved girls,,,,,And my lesbian radar is beeping like crazy,,,, So she is definitely my girl =)

Opening starts,,,, To my huge fucking surprise and great enjoyment we have the name White Lily!!! ,,, YES!!!!We have confirmed lesbian anime!!! And we have not started i love this!!,, This anime shows great potential and mention Yuri right away ,, This is my type of anime !!! The only problems,,, giant stupid robots are boring!!!!,,,,,

My waifu is transported to another world,, oh anime!!!! You are dumass!! Its fine guess!! But i wanna see my girls kissing soon!!! Then become a lesbian couple!!!!!,,And with that my wish is answered!!! A girl call my waifu, and tries to protect her!!! ok she had a someone who are interested in here already great ,,,,They may already be a lesbian couple? At least i think so =)

This is the world where the stupid ass robot are occupying the space with their fat asses!!!, But are driven by beautiful heavenly angels!!!! that are just to grand for this world,,,. The divine beings clash together in a violent fight!!! ,,,My shining diamond Shingetsu is upset ,,No one messes with her beloved one and gets away with it!!!!!!!!!,,, After the attack on her girlfriend Mangetsu!!! She seems to be fuelled by rage and her enemy are taken care of!!!,, Don't mess with her lover!! She is very protective and will fight for her new girlfriend!!!

Mangetsu are very impress by her new soulmate incredible strength!!,,And to top it of she offer her girlfriend food and she accepted it!!!!!Yes,,, and i'm very pleased by that the Yuri signals are going wild in this anime ,,,The young lesbian couple sit together under the blistering night sky!! Over trillions of stars lightning up the skies,,,, and the universe are literally on fire,,, its a grand spectacle ,, But my girls have only eyes for each other!!!!! And their love are more bright then any star on the skies,, A very nice scene one of the best in this episode

And this is a fucking giant stupid robot anime!!! So ofc my girls romantic moment is shattered and they are attacked!!!,,,When seeing her partner in danger My angel Mangetsu transforms? And then My Yuri Bot appears!!! And i think giant robots are stupid!!!!,, not a little bit stupid!!! Its retarded!!!! But My Mighty Yuri Bot is not retarded at all!!!! ,,,Its a awesome fighting war machine!!! That can only been driven by a pure lesbian at heart ,, ,, And well she have girlfriend !!! So my lesbian Goddess meets the demand and take control over the magnificent Yuri Bot!!!! The Yuri bot is powered by lesbians pure love!!! And are the strongest of weapons in existence and even if my angel are new at piloting she gets the upper hand fast and wins easy,, The whole anime are more then less over now when my Yuri bot have arrived ,, Nothing can beat my powerful lesbian goddesses!!!

I like this episode a lot,,, Was really surprised over the Yuri symbols!!! This anime may be a real gem,,,,,No males awesome!!! That's how i like it!!,,,, And a couple!!! And only first episode in i'm damn impressed ,,, No kiss????,,That was disappointing but we have many episodes left ,,,You have 7/10,,,, In the future i want lesbian kissing and a lesbian wedding!!!!!,,Yes!!!! ,,,

But remember they are my cute little girls!!!! They can fight,, but no fucking over the top violence!!! torture!!! Or killing ,,,They shall play nicely no one shall get hurt,,, Anime if you hurt one of my precious angels !!! My wrath will have no limits and will be more enormous then you ever could have dreamed about!!!!!!!! I will release It!! and take my vengeance on your stupid ass!!!!!!!!!! Be very careful with my lesbian princesses!!!!,,You have been warned!!!!!!Behave yourself!!!

Yuri-CrusaderJul 7, 2019 1:23 AM
Jul 6, 2019 10:46 AM
Jul 2019
For those old mecha fans

They should remember the mecha proportion looks like old Sunrise anime, Masshin Eiyuuden Wataru mecha design mixed with some Super Robot Wars mecha design with huge crystals on them. With also mecha fight scenes similar to Gundam and Super Robots.

https://youtu.be/ZQxC1vGgyoo
Jul 6, 2019 11:03 AM

Aug 2018
First part of the episode bored me, second part with Mangetsu discovering her mecha was better !

To be honest, the second episode's preview at the end caught my interest, since it won't only be taking place in this alternate universe.
Jul 6, 2019 11:09 AM

Feb 2018
Yeah. I'm sold - not even knowing why. It's like, nothing catch my eye and still something is telling me to watch it. Well, we will see.
Jul 6, 2019 11:39 AM

Feb 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Eh, I'm not sold on this yet. There's way too much action for the first episode imo and didn't get me too invested into the main story yet.

Given that the same character designer worked on this and Re:Zero, some of the characters looks similar. Kohinata and Shingetsu got the most screentime together given their roles as main characters.

The part with the mecha adds a strange twist for the mechanics of this. But yeah, I got pretty mixed thoughts on this.

It's not the same character designer of Rezero. The illustrator of the light novels just did the original character designs. The character designerper se of this anime and Rezero is different.
Jul 6, 2019 11:41 AM

Feb 2013
KANLen09 said:
WELL OH WELL. What high expectations to be met from Re:Zero's director and character designer.

Nexus's animation, really ten, no, hundred-upped when compared to Comic Girls.
The cool, rock-solid animation pumps up all the adrenaline with the mech fights.

As per usual, Eir Aoi's OP is great. The cool, calming ED is no slouch either.

HereticHunter said:

I have some Planet With vibes on this one.
Them Soundtrack and the Sfx tho.

Definitely with the mech styles. AND YES the sound direction. Phenomenal.

Plot is interesting but lacking, though it really went one-directional with the (earthly) MC Kohinata not fully apprehending the situation. And of course the (other-world) MC Earnesta must explain to her.

Ooh, so Granbelm is a battle-royale of sorts, for the supremacy and blah blah blah, true winner.

And it's NOT an isekai, or rather, an illusionary one!

But overall, really cool series that got my hopes really one-upped FOR REAL! Just needs more time to flesh out its setting.

It's not the same character designer of Rezero. The illustrator of the light novels just did the original character designs. The character designer per se of this anime and Rezero is different.
Jul 6, 2019 12:40 PM

May 2017
I thought this was super good already, and the low score really disappoints me.

My opinion of the show, however, will plummet if they don't actually kill off characters for real. This is being advertised as a battle royale: characters better actually die.
Jul 6, 2019 1:43 PM

Aug 2018
Hmmm this first episode was ok, I neither liked nor disliked it. A little more exposition would sure be nice, so I could care about some of the cast.
Jul 6, 2019 4:47 PM

Aug 2018
so... mech-madouka hm? ok.
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Jul 6, 2019 4:49 PM
Jul 2017
Great animation and soundtrack but I feel like they prioritised action over storytelling, will give it a few more episodes.
Jul 6, 2019 5:14 PM

Oct 2012
Weak, as expected. I thought I was getting into something not very good. I just hope it's going to be one of those anime that are fun, even though they're bad. Saw the best girl (that has the best mecha) from miles away. Hope she gets more screentime~ Hakamada Suishou-chan~

MaahHeimJul 6, 2019 5:26 PM
Jul 6, 2019 8:02 PM

Jan 2011
this was just fine so far props for non cgi mecha's but docking points because why SD?, it's it because it goes better with the cute mahou shoujo look but at the same time these girls are giving off intense fighting vibes screaming but i guess S. Otsuka work with re zero could be quite graphic anyways so who knows how serious this will be.
Jul 6, 2019 9:22 PM

Oct 2008
what the hell did I just watch? magic power overwhelming! lolz
3/5.

Jul 6, 2019 11:29 PM
Oct 2017
There's a lot of Sunrise's mecha animes reference appear in this one lmao XD
Jul 7, 2019 3:29 AM

May 2014
I feel cheated. The synopsis spoke of magic, but we get mechas. Why wasn't this anime tagged with mecha? Because it's obviously mecha!
Jul 7, 2019 5:00 AM

Oct 2014
Good stuff: Animation oozing off my screen, magnificent sound effects
Bad stuff: I couldn't care less about the story & the characters, mediocre voice-work from Mangetsu (wtf nani nani find some other words to say btch)

Let's see where this goes.

ps.: Yeah, there's too many "nani?" in this episode
Jul 7, 2019 6:16 AM
Apr 2019
My God is still lowering score, I suppose if there is no male protagonist people have no interest in this, even if only a denigrating self-insert. Even if it only exists in the anime to suffer as a subaru

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Jul 7, 2019 6:39 AM

Jan 2016
As this was an original anime, I went in blind with no expectations. And needless to say I was pleasantly surprised: the action scenes were really good, the rezero-esque designs were adorable and the plot they've established through the exposition scene gives the story potential. There's no info on how many episodes this series will be, so I hope they pace the development out well, and maybe we might see a new Madoka? I get that the low score as it is right now is due to how left in the dark we all are about what's happening, so hopefully we'll get filled in on the details asap. My gut feeling's telling me that this could be the underdog of this season.
Jul 7, 2019 9:45 AM

May 2009
First half was meh, reminded me last boring yuribait mecha - Regalia, what a boring shit it was. Second half of episode was better, reminded me Star Driver and seals, too bad mechas look like bulky SD gundams instead slick Cybodies.
Jul 7, 2019 11:51 AM

Jan 2018
They did it. They actually did it.

Magical Girls in mechs.
Jul 7, 2019 4:35 PM

Sep 2017
A dark horse? A lot of pretty impressive sakuga. This episode is kind of intense. Reminds me of Star Drivers. But I'm not sure what it's about yet. it can go into any direction.
Jul 7, 2019 5:13 PM

Dec 2018
Ehh...I'm not feeling this one so far. Nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE IN THE SYNOPSIS DID IT SAY THIS WOULD BE A MECHA SHOW. I went into this thinking it would be some sort of adventure magic show about two girls, and then THIS was what I was greeted with. It threw too much at me at once and was too hard to process quickly enough to keep up with the action. Not too bad, not too good, kinda just there. Although I will say, the backgrounds for this show are fucking gorgeous.
Jul 7, 2019 8:44 PM

Dec 2016
Colors were nice, everything else was pretty meh, and who the fuck designed those ugly ass mech?
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jul 7, 2019 9:08 PM

Dec 2012
Another loli infused combo of other shows. Not bothering to watch any more. There are too many older shows that need love and appreciation. And please anime world, stop trying to drag us down the ages scale. Not all of us are Loli addicts.

Jul 8, 2019 5:58 AM

Jun 2016
I'm not even a mecha fan, but wow these mecha designs are not good at all... but at least the animation is decent and the girls are cute so I will still get a kick out of this
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jul 8, 2019 6:24 AM

Oct 2017
Wtf is with those robots...They don't have legs!
First half ep was kinda good,but second is really disappointment...
Jul 8, 2019 8:39 AM

Jan 2016
Before the credit of this episode is "what?" moment for me. They just slap it with "to be continued" word and black screen with the sound suddenly stop. The after credit, its quite long, half minutes i think. Why they not shorted the AC so they can finish the anime properly?

Anyway, no complaint about the story, even things you don't understand about the plot. Its common for me. At least in the first episode.
Yay!
Jul 8, 2019 11:51 AM
Mar 2018
I love the opening and ending theme songs but I am a bit anxious about the anime itself. I think the first episode was good but I am adopting a wait and see stance.
Jul 8, 2019 2:45 PM

Nov 2013
for the 2nd time this season, @lunyrem telling me to watch something i'm not interested :v

so far it looks fun tho, so, even tho i have no interest in robot fights, i think i'll watch this one for at least a few more episodes

i really have to say this tho... who the hell goes back to school in the middle of the night just to get a lunchbox? dafuq.....................

other than that, the girl with black hair seems like quite badass, and the other one who's always screaming reminds me of Luvia from Fate LOL
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jul 8, 2019 5:34 PM

Jan 2011
oh no Kyuubey they forget to copy the best part of Madoka
Jul 8, 2019 6:10 PM

Jul 2016
Godly animation and design. Love it!
I just hope the plot will be as good as the anime looks.
Jul 8, 2019 11:21 PM
Jul 2019
I like the character design, though the mech design definitely didn't do any favors, The action was better than I expected & it's nice to see the return of 2D mechs.
Looking forward to the next episode.

sgtlizzieJul 8, 2019 11:26 PM
Jul 8, 2019 11:50 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
winddevil1 said:
for the 2nd time this season, @lunyrem telling me to watch something i'm not interested :v

I'm pretty sure I never told you to watch this anime judging from our convos. I only stated back there that this one has the same character design as Re:Zero. But you have a lot of free time to waste so go ahead. x'D

I watched this episode and I'd say it was okay-ish. I do love the designs of the girls but not the same for the mechas. Not yet fully invested with what I've seen so far from the first episode, though.

At least Granbelm looks more tolerable than Conception which had the same character design too but the latter was more horrendous in every aspect.
Jul 9, 2019 9:29 AM
Jan 2019
This anime looks like it'll be my contender for sleeper hit of the season, though it will depend on how episode two follows up.

Episode one hits all the right buttons for me. Surprising coming off the synopsis, even genre-defying. I'm intrigued by the implications of what has been explained or implied so far, although I have to say the exposition dump is not the most elegant way of doing it. The characters are expressive, and there is something very compelling in the juxtaposition of a magical girl whose face is contorted in rage.

The mecha were not to my taste at all at first, but after seeing the fights, full of impact and interesting abilities, I can say that's a stylistic choice I don't really have a problem with.

Overall, the first episode was intriguing, a bit overwhelming, even 'hype as hell'. Episode two will be the true judge of whether the story is taking a backseat to the action, or if they are using confusion and a lack of information as a device to tell the story. If it's the former, I think I'll still watch it for the character design and the impact of the fights, but if it's the latter, I think it's gonna be something great.
Jul 9, 2019 10:33 AM

Nov 2014
syncrogazer said:
Shirasho said:
The low score probably comes from the fact that they explained nothing

wtf did you just sleep through the part where they literally sat down for an exposition dump? and lol at the 'exploring themes' garbage in the first episode, just admit you didn't like it and stop bullshitting reasons why, because I dunno if you can't figure out what's going on when they literally spell it out for you, then it's your problem.

Yeah

They fight because magic
And they're chosen as wielders of gundams because magic
And the floating rock exists because magic

It makes sense because magic

They explain nothing. All they say is, "it's magic , get it? Of course you do! Let's fight now"
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

77 by 5hadow17 »»
Oct 24, 2023 12:57 AM

» Beauty..... so undderated.........

Ghefira - May 5, 2023

1 by NerdyMemer »»
May 6, 2023 2:55 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

79 by Ten »»
Dec 28, 2022 8:42 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2019

87 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 29, 2021 4:57 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

47 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 29, 2021 4:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.