Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 5, 2019 7:25 AM

Dec 2018
Disclaimer, i have only read till chapter 47 (end of volume 7), and haven't watched the anime
Why people like Bondrewd? Like, i get he is a White Whistle, but it's not possible to admire or like someone who (spoilers for those who haven't read chapter from 25 to 38, volume 4 and 5, or have only watched the anime)

I Hope i did not offend anyone, Sorry if i did :(
Jul 9, 2019 4:18 AM

Jan 2015
Because he is THE villain. He’s flawless in every aspect. I mean, call him “villain”, he’s not one imo
Jul 9, 2019 4:53 AM

Dec 2018
1Kyo said:
Because he's terrifying. You're not supposed to like him as a person, but as a villian. And he was a great villain.

i have to agree actually
Jul 9, 2019 4:55 AM

Dec 2018
Xenocrisi said:
Because he is THE villain. He’s flawless in every aspect. I mean, call him “villain”, he’s not one imo

ti do ragione, come villain è perfetto, ma mi ha davvero fatto incazzare il modo in cui usa i bambini come oggetti e nulla di più, soprattutto quello che ha fatto al fischietto di Rik-ehm prushka
Jul 18, 2019 10:38 PM
Dec 2018
Well Because... why not?
Jul 18, 2019 10:41 PM

Dec 2012
I think people just enjoy the mad scientist character trope
Jul 19, 2019 7:27 AM

Oct 2015
His fascination for the Abyss and the lengths he goes to uncover the last unrevealed place in earth is I'd say morbidly alluring, even though his methodology is repugnant to say the least. It's the display of strong emotions that makes me engaged in a character in a fictitious work and Bondrewd's vehement desire to attain knowledge even at the expense of everyone including himself makes him intriguing to me.
Auron_Jul 19, 2019 11:38 AM
Jul 19, 2019 7:44 AM

Mar 2015
Because he's a great villain. Just because you like a villain in fiction doesn't mean you necessarily agree with their actions.
Jul 19, 2019 10:56 AM

Dec 2018
Orhunaa said:
His fascination for the Abyss and the lengths he goes to uncover the last unrevealed place on earth is I'd say morbidly alluring, even though his methodology is repugnant to say the least. It's the display of strong emotions that makes me engaged in a character in a fictitious work and Bondrewd's vehement desire to attain knowledge even at the expense of everyone including himself makes him intriguing to me.

wow, that's admirable :0, I appreciate your point of view :3
Jul 19, 2019 10:58 AM

Dec 2018
Mirai said:
Because he's a great villain. Just because you like a villain in fiction doesn't mean you necessarily agree with their actions.
I am very angry about what he did, but I have to say he is an awesome villain
Jul 19, 2019 1:38 PM

Mar 2013
Batyara said:
His design. His power. His voice in anime. His philosophy.

Thats why i like him

Basically this for me too.
I like everything about him despite how he is towards the kids
Jul 26, 2019 2:36 AM

Mar 2019
He's a pretty great villain and some people like his meme potential. Subarashii.
Jul 31, 2019 8:53 PM

Apr 2012
WHen I judge a fictional character morality, I never judge using our morality standard, I'll judge with that series morality standard instead. That's why I usually able to tolerate some characters questionable act, not limited to Bondrewd.
He's actually kinda right tho, since that 2000y circle will comes in the near future. So, for the greater good.
Aug 5, 2019 3:01 PM
Dec 2018
Bondrewd not only was a good character, he also had a character unlike anyone from main crew.
I was never bothered by his deeds because all of his victims spend their entire screentime being a wooden post that has a sign "I'm cute loli and going to be killed next 5 minutes".
I never felt myself so conflicted about fictional character, on paper Bondrewd is absolute vile, but he is also way more entertaining, better written, charismatic and interesting than so called good guys.
Jun 30, 2020 7:09 PM
Jun 2020
He is my favorite antagonist in anime. The only thing, of course, that I disapprove of him is his willingness to sacrifice children in his pursuit of knowledge. Despite this, we can see that a great antagonist doesn't have to be malicious or even inherently flawed (a common example being that the antagonist holds a certain viewpoint but simultaneously contradicts it with his/her own actions). Bondrewd simply views the world differently from the vast majority of people. He is a "man" who desires knowledge but also enjoys the actual pursuit of knowledge as well. We see this quite a few times in his interaction with Nanachi where he reveals his excitement in his discoveries and wants to share his joy with everyone. In other words, he doesn't see what he is doing as evil. All things worth pursuing require sacrifice, unfortunately what is required is human sacrifice. What makes him interesting is how paternal and loving he is, including toward his lab rats. He still sees them as people, while most of us would say they have lost their humanity. It is an intriguing irony which flips the table on the audience. Also there is another twist, we get to contrast his viewpoint from the flawed one of Nanachi. Nanachi actually sees the evil behind Bondrewd's experiments BUT still helps carrying them out. We must never forget that the narration will be biased towards the protagonists, as it doesn't dwell on their flaws as much as Bondrewd's. For instance, Reg lost part of his arm, but what happened afterward? Several Umbra Hands mercilessly lost their lives to Stingerheads even after Bondrewd apologies to Nanachi about his mistake of mistreating Reg (at least in the movie it is shown) and how he would repair Reg. Morally, the scales are tipped against Nanachia, Reg, and Riko but the narration doesn't express this because the story is being told from the perspective of the protagonists. Here is an additional analysis of Bondrewd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttq8hikG-Tk&list=LL6aQgduVSU6ZfOa2-kNM7Tw&index=500
TheL0rd0fDawnJun 30, 2020 7:14 PM
Jul 4, 2020 11:52 AM

Nov 2019
As some people said, he is THE villain. Using all the resources available in the pursuit of knowledge. He is also very consequent with his actions, and of course there's no better dad in this world xD
Jul 4, 2020 12:56 PM

Mar 2018
I have a thing for villains and anti-heroes. They are usually more interesting than all those knights in shining armour. They are flawed and fucked up and often a lot more relatable...and even when that is not the case they are just plain fascinating. This is why Askeladd and Thorkell are so much better in Vinland Saga then Thorfinn. Especially Askelladd. I totally dig this guy.
Jul 5, 2020 8:18 AM
Jul 2020
^same, I always liked villains and anti-heroes more than good guys, especially in anime and manga, where MC is usually boring plain looking guy. Main characters writing is lacking creativity, they are designed to be audience avatars with no defining traits other than some common insecurities to make them "relatable" for average weeb. Bad guys are way more interesting and hotter. Made in Abyss is no exception from this rule.
Jul 31, 2020 3:19 AM

Aug 2017
I dont like him but hes an amazing character one of the best villains probably ever wrtten. Its just amazing fun reading chapters where hes in. Hes terrifying and crazy. Amazing villain.
Jul 31, 2020 4:41 AM

Sep 2017
justasadguy said:
but it's not possible to admire or like someone who

Yes it is, that's why I like him
Oct 19, 2020 11:02 AM
Jul 2019
Because he's NOT a Villain. He's an Anti-Hero. Evil person doing messed up experiments? Check. Sacrificing others for his own gain? Check. Has the innate desire as an antagonist to prevent our Main Cast from reaching their stated goal? NO!

I see him as a way more fucked version of Ozen "The Immovable". You have to remember ALL of the White Whistle's are messed up in some way. Its even said that the Abyss messes them up mentally on multiple occasions as a consequence of the Curse and that every single one of them are "Scoundrels" in some way or another.

I believe he was Testing them. Why?

1. There is a subtle hint given by the MCs questioning "Why did he even have us meet Prushka?. If he hadn't she would have never turned into a White Whistle and Riko never would have been able to make it down to the 6th level.

2. He literally could have murdered every one of them outright on multiple occasions but didn't. I don't believe this is 'Plot Armor' I think it was a hyped up version of Ozen's test (when she beat up Reg, and bloodied Riko. Not the 10-day excursion). If they couldn't beat him, then the 6th level would LITERALLY eat them alive, and probably eat them again as souls after they died as well.

3. His last Cryptic comment about looking forward to the next "2,000 YEARS". He knows something we as the reader don't about the Praying Skeletons He knows Riko is part of it, and has some sort of Destiny.

While we as people here may not approve of his methods, but you gotta remember the rules of the World they live in. Just to get to the 6th level you have to sacrifice a person you deeply care for and imprison their eternal spirit inside a fucking Whistle. They also have to sacrifice themselves willingly, your success being their Ultimate Desire.

There honestly might not have been a better way to do it. The setting of Made in Abyss is BERSERK-levels of fucked up and that may be the requirements until the Savior, (hopefully Riko) goes to the bottom and changes things.
Wow, Really? That's Amazingly Stupid! Too bad you've been ignored, I might have actually read that and laughed at you again.
May 16, 2021 10:31 PM

Mar 2020
huntress1013 said:
I have a thing for villains and anti-heroes. They are usually more interesting than all those knights in shining armour. They are flawed and fucked up and often a lot more relatable...and even when that is not the case they are just plain fascinating. This is why Askeladd and Thorkell are so much better in Vinland Saga then Thorfinn. Especially Askelladd. I totally dig this guy.
NGL if you have read the manga then u will know that thorfinn is miles better then those 2
May 16, 2021 11:00 PM

Feb 2020
Well, hateful villan was more well received in media because seeing the hateful deeds brings charisma onto the table, I guess

Overall I like more sympathetic villain that outright hateful villan. So I probably can't relate much.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 18, 2021 11:29 PM
May 2021
Etik olmayan bilimsel çalışmalar, Kırılamaz bir motivasyon ve anlaşılması zor bir çalışma azmi. Animelerde sık sık böylesi kişilere rastlamıyoruz değil mi? Kendine özgü bir havası, bir atmosferi var ve anime filminde bunu çok iyi yansıtmışlar.

More topics from this board

» Best new gen series

XiongYifan - Feb 29

10 by Riot »»
Apr 18, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 67 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Feb 14

24 by Artromex »»
Apr 13, 3:58 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 40 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 7, 2017

12 by owennordness41 »»
Feb 26, 5:02 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 66 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 30, 2023

10 by WeLoveIs »»
Feb 21, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 51 Discussion

Satou0Kun - Mar 31, 2019

26 by Luma2 »»
Feb 19, 6:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.