Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
#1
Jul 4, 3:34 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
So we have a thread called "The manga is better though.", but as someone who read the manga, I actually immensely enjoyed the anime and how they adapted the first two chapters more than I actually did reading the first two chapters.

The OST was absolutely fitting for every moment, even the usage of silence in scenes. The animation was crisp and precise and was able to convey way more emotion than the still, unmoving drawings in the manga.

The character dynamics in this first episode were pretty clear and easy to see. Above all, the direction succeeded in creating a distinct and unique atmosphere that really did its job of sucking the viewer into the world of the story. For me, the manga was not even as close as gripping in the first two chapters.

Ultimately, this thread is now a counter to the person who thought he needed to make his very own thread to bitch about the gift of this adaptation that we have received, instead of just posting it in the episode 1 discussion thread. I mean, seriously, how obnoxious do you have to be? Obviously most source material is better than the anime adaptations of it.

Here though, I did truly enjoy the anime adaptation of the first two chapters more than reading them.
Modified by ycleped, Jul 4, 3:40 PM
 
#2
Jul 4, 5:04 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 1063
ycleped said:
So we have a thread called "The manga is better though.", but as someone who read the manga, I actually immensely enjoyed the anime and how they adapted the first two chapters more than I actually did reading the first two chapters.

The OST was absolutely fitting for every moment, even the usage of silence in scenes. The animation was crisp and precise and was able to convey way more emotion than the still, unmoving drawings in the manga.

The character dynamics in this first episode were pretty clear and easy to see. Above all, the direction succeeded in creating a distinct and unique atmosphere that really did its job of sucking the viewer into the world of the story. For me, the manga was not even as close as gripping in the first two chapters.

Ultimately, this thread is now a counter to the person who thought he needed to make his very own thread to bitch about the gift of this adaptation that we have received, instead of just posting it in the episode 1 discussion thread. I mean, seriously, how obnoxious do you have to be? Obviously most source material is better than the anime adaptations of it.

Here though, I did truly enjoy the anime adaptation of the first two chapters more than reading them.


Yeah, sorry. I don't know how I responded to this thread instead of the other. lol
Modified by Barnald, Jul 5, 8:40 AM
 
#3
Jul 4, 5:05 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
caio_brb said:

Yeah, sorry. I don't know how I responded to this thread instead of the other. lol

No problem. just make sure you remove this message because it still has the spoiler in it!
 
#4
Jul 4, 5:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 927
Director: "Hey we have a scene that develops the main girl and the MC relationship, what if we turn that scene into nothing just to make a big dramatic scene where everybody has to risk their lives doing a human rope with the plan that the guy with 200 IQ just did while defying logic to show the power of friendship"?

Assistant 1: "But Mrs. director few seconds ago we have a scene where they use a tether."

Director: "It doesn't matter, just pretend it doesn't exist or that they can't get it back, the power of friendship is more important!!."

Assistant 2: "But we just have 12 episodes and a lot of material, we can't keep adding things just to...".

Director:" I SAID FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC!!".


Yeah, direction is "awesome". Who cares about logic, consistency or even gravity in space when MAGIC HANDHOLDING FRIENDSHIP can solve any problem.

 
#5
Jul 4, 5:15 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
shiro_kai said:
Director: "Hey we have a scene that develops the main girl and the MC relationship, what if we turn that scene into nothing just to make a big dramatic scene where everybody has to risk their lives doing a human rope with the plan that the guy with 200 IQ just did while defying logic to show the power of friendship"?

Assistant 1: "But Mrs. director few seconds ago we have a scene where they use a tether."

Director: "It doesn't matter, just pretend it doesn't exist or that they can't get it back, the power of friendship is more important!!."

Assistant 2: "But we just have 12 episodes and a lot of material, we can't keep adding things just to...".

Director:" I SAID FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC!!".


Yeah, direction is "awesome". Who cares about logic, consistency or even gravity in space when MAGIC HANDHOLDING FRIENDSHIP can solve any problem.


That's just one change and honestly it really didn't affect my enjoyment of it. The other option was sending someone out on the tether to pull Kanata and Aries back in, but wasn't this just as simple?
 
#6
Jul 4, 5:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 883
ycleped said:
The other option was sending someone out on the tether to pull Kanata and Aries back in, but wasn't this just as simple?

Umm, no? I'm not a source reader but having learned of the change I have to say I think it's bad.

It's not crazily significant in the grand scheme of things, but too many little things like that instead of keeping it more realistic and simple will affect my enjoyment eventually.

I loved this first episode for the mix between, 1. A less common sci-fi setting with mystery, intrigue and drama, and 2. Light-hearted, very anime chracters, character interactions, and comedy. But push it too much with that corny "magic friendship" stuff and it could upset the balance so much that the plot loses it's intrigue because the show doesn't take itself seriously enough.

That we're seeing the sort of change pointed out in this thread already isn't a great sign, but we'll see how it goes.
Lastest Blog Post: Haganai: How an Ecchi Harem Romcom Became my Favorite Anime

Watching: Araburu
Reading: Axanael (VN)
Weeklies: Choyoyu, Saikoro Club, Gekihatsu Boy, Cautious Hero, Rifle is Beautiful, Honzuki, Noukin
Recently Finished: HenSuki (3), Takagi-san 2 (7), Machikado Mazoku (5), Stargazer (VN)(8), Kanata no Astra (7), High Score Girl: Extra Stage (8), UchiMusume (6), Granbelm (9)

Girl: Anna Fugo (Granbelm)
 
#7
Jul 4, 5:31 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 927
ycleped said:
shiro_kai said:
Director: "Hey we have a scene that develops the main girl and the MC relationship, what if we turn that scene into nothing just to make a big dramatic scene where everybody has to risk their lives doing a human rope with the plan that the guy with 200 IQ just did while defying logic to show the power of friendship"?

Assistant 1: "But Mrs. director few seconds ago we have a scene where they use a tether."

Director: "It doesn't matter, just pretend it doesn't exist or that they can't get it back, the power of friendship is more important!!."

Assistant 2: "But we just have 12 episodes and a lot of material, we can't keep adding things just to...".

Director:" I SAID FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC!!".


Yeah, direction is "awesome". Who cares about logic, consistency or even gravity in space when MAGIC HANDHOLDING FRIENDSHIP can solve any problem.


That's just one change and honestly it really didn't affect my enjoyment of it. The other option was sending someone out on the tether to pull Kanata and Aries back in, but wasn't this just as simple?



You can't be seriously saying that this:



Is more simple (AND SAFE AND FASTER!) than this:



He even put the loli in the most important position! The guy has 200 IQ and THAT is the best plan that he can come out.

The director turned it into a big mess for nothing.
Modified by shiro_kai, Jul 4, 5:36 PM
 
#8
Jul 4, 5:35 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
YossaRedMage said:
ycleped said:
The other option was sending someone out on the tether to pull Kanata and Aries back in, but wasn't this just as simple?

Umm, no? I'm not a source reader but having learned of the change I have to say I think it's bad.

It's not crazily significant in the grand scheme of things, but too many little things like that instead of keeping it more realistic and simple will affect my enjoyment eventually.

I loved this first episode for the mix between, 1. A less common sci-fi setting with mystery, intrigue and drama, and 2. Light-hearted, very anime chracters, character interactions, and comedy. But push it too much with that corny "magic friendship" stuff and it could upset the balance so much that the plot loses it's intrigue because the show doesn't take itself seriously enough.

That we're seeing the sort of change pointed out in this thread already isn't a great sign, but we'll see how it goes.
shiro_kai said:
ycleped said:


That's just one change and honestly it really didn't affect my enjoyment of it. The other option was sending someone out on the tether to pull Kanata and Aries back in, but wasn't this just as simple?
ycleped said:


That's just one change and honestly it really didn't affect my enjoyment of it. The other option was sending someone out on the tether to pull Kanata and Aries back in, but wasn't this just as simple?



You can't be seriously saying that this:


Is more simple (AND SAFE AND FASTER!) than this:


He even put the loli in the most important position! The guy has 200 IQ and THAT is the best plane that he can come out.

That was literally the only thing that they changed in terms of story and development, but it was pretty obvious that they wanted to highlight the "strength in teamwork" theme with the limited time that they had. Furthermore, that scene itself was less than 2 minutes in an entire 48 minute long episode, I'm not sure how one short scene like this drastically impacted your experience of the show.

Also, it was clear that they were trying to make the first episode more dramatic, as it was a double-length special and they treated it as sort of a "mini movie" rather than an episode of a series, as evident by the change in aspect ratio between 16:9 and 21:9.

The rest of the episodes will more than likely follow standard format without any unnecessary changes.

I just don't see how one, 30 second scene can so negatively impact your experience! The episode was 48 minutes, for Pete's sake, and everything else was fantastic!
Modified by ycleped, Jul 4, 5:39 PM
 
#9
Jul 4, 5:38 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
shiro_kai said:

The director turned it into a big mess for nothing.


How does one scene that was slightly changed and 30 seconds long out of a 48 minute episode qualify as a "big mess"?

You're making a big deal out of nothing, frankly. Stop overreacting.
 
Jul 4, 5:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 927
ycleped said:
YossaRedMage said:


You must have really liked the last season of Game of Thrones (if you watched), I mean, its just one really bad season of seven. How things end or how we do it doesn't matter, the important was the road so far, right?

It's not a "small thing" they all could have died there, is impossible to take the rest of show seriously if they treat like a joke such important part of the story.

But even it it was like that, it just shows that the director is willing to sacrifice ANYTHING if it means to deliver a more dramatic "experience" to the audience, how that is not someting to worry?
 
Jul 4, 5:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 927
ycleped said:
shiro_kai said:

The director turned it into a big mess for nothing.


How does one scene that was slightly changed and 30 seconds long out of a 48 minute episode qualify as a "big mess"?

You're making a big deal out of nothing, frankly. Stop overreacting.


This is the original scene:



This is the anime version:



Which one is the "exaggerated"? Just admit it was a dumb and poor decision, please. I know and I expect It to get better in the next episode, but the final plot of that first one was trash.

 
Jul 4, 5:55 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
shiro_kai said:
ycleped said:


You must have really liked the last season of Game of Thrones (if you watched), I mean, its just one really bad season of seven. How things end or how we do it doesn't matter, the important was the road so far, right?

It's not a "small thing" they all could have died there, is impossible to take the rest of show seriously if they treat like a joke such important part of the story.

But even it it was like that, it just shows that the director is willing to sacrifice ANYTHING if it means to deliver a more dramatic "experience" to the audience, how that is not someting to worry?


He didn't sacrifice ANYTHING, he just changed it from using a rope to making a human-chain. I don't know how they all could have died there, because all of them could have used their thrusters to get back into the ship. The only one who was out of fuel was Kanata! None of them would have died.

Also, making a chain when there's 0 gravity is relatively easy and nothing like making a chain on earth to pull someone upwards when gravity is pulling them back down.

I don't even understand your Game of Thrones analogy. First off, it was an entire season that was bad, not just one scene that was changed. Second, the last season of Game of Thrones was a terrible ending, while this 1 single scene that was changed was at the very beginning of the anime.

shiro_kai said:


Which one is the "exaggerated"? Just admit it was a dumb and poor decision, please. I know and I expect It to get better in the next episode, but the final plot of that first one was trash.



Again, the human chain was not at all dangerous. You're overreacting and being super silly about this. It was one changed scene and I don't even think it was that bad of a change.
 
Jul 4, 6:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 927
ycleped said:
shiro_kai said:


You must have really liked the last season of Game of Thrones (if you watched), I mean, its just one really bad season of seven. How things end or how we do it doesn't matter, the important was the road so far, right?

It's not a "small thing" they all could have died there, is impossible to take the rest of show seriously if they treat like a joke such important part of the story.

But even it it was like that, it just shows that the director is willing to sacrifice ANYTHING if it means to deliver a more dramatic "experience" to the audience, how that is not someting to worry?


He didn't sacrifice ANYTHING, he just changed it from using a rope to making a human-chain. I don't know how they all could have died there, because all of them could have used their thrusters to get back into the ship. The only one who was out of fuel was Kanata! None of them would have died.

Also, making a chain when there's 0 gravity is relatively easy and nothing like making a chain on earth to pull someone upwards when gravity is pulling them back down.

I don't even understand your Game of Thrones analogy. First off, it was an entire season that was bad, not just one scene that was changed. Second, the last season of Game of Thrones was a terrible ending, while this 1 single scene that was changed was at the very beginning of the anime.

shiro_kai said:


Which one is the "exaggerated"? Just admit it was a dumb and poor decision, please. I know and I expect It to get better in the next episode, but the final plot of that first one was trash.



Again, the human chain was not at all dangerous. You're overreacting and being super silly about this. It was one changed scene and I don't even think it was that bad of a change.


Can't argue with that tthen. I hope that in the next episode they all get turned into pink dwarfs from the kingdom of Terriaria Y. You gonna love it cause it doesn't affect the rest of the plot, it just doesn't make sense.
 
Jul 4, 6:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 208
ycleped said:
shiro_kai said:

The director turned it into a big mess for nothing.


How does one scene that was slightly changed and 30 seconds long out of a 48 minute episode qualify as a "big mess"?

You're making a big deal out of nothing, frankly. Stop overreacting.


+1

The usual suspects that want to rain on everyone's parade are fixating on this scene to nitpick the show to death. They made the change to use the opportunity to emphasize one of the themes of the show, and furthermore, it takes a lot more suspension of disbelief to accept the fact that the cable was easily within Kanata's reach on the way back (as in the manga).
 
Jul 4, 6:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 927
Spaceship said:
ycleped said:


How does one scene that was slightly changed and 30 seconds long out of a 48 minute episode qualify as a "big mess"?

You're making a big deal out of nothing, frankly. Stop overreacting.


+1

The usual suspects that want to rain on everyone's parade are fixating on this scene to nitpick the show to death. They made the change to use the opportunity to emphasize one of the themes of the show, and furthermore, it takes a lot more suspension of disbelief to accept the fact that the cable was easily within Kanata's reach on the way back (as in the manga).


The anime can be good, but try to pretend it was nothing and the that the director just didn't just wanted to make free magical friendship fanservice is overlook the episode too much. Also, how the way of the own author in the manga can be wrong and worse than a human rope?
 
Jul 4, 7:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 660
i gotta disagree
while the anime made great points especially the music
the hand holding chain fucked all of it at once
tiny logic flaws like that are the fucking bane of the Anime World
i have no issues with made up science or any other stuff, but logic flaws in choices, No, just No.
sorry.
also there was no need to create this just to counteract the douchebags that made that manga is better thread which was just as unnecessary


nonetheless its too early tos ay anyway
Modified by Nim0174, Jul 4, 7:32 PM
You son of a .. turtle

 
Jul 4, 7:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 208
shiro_kai said:
The anime can be good, but try to pretend it was nothing and the that the director just didn't just wanted to make free magical friendship fanservice is overlook the episode too much.


It's not fanservice if it reinforces a key theme of the show. You may think it was over-the-top or heavy-handed (pun intended), but it's not fanservice b/c it's not gratuitous.

Also, how the way of the own author in the manga can be wrong and worse than a human rope?


The dramatic concerns of manga are different that in anime. The episode needed a stronger dramatic conclusion than the manga, so the director made a (very understandable) change to up the tension and emphasize the teamwork theme.

And again, to me it requires more suspension of disbelief to accept the fact that Kanata could find the drifting cable so easily after retrieving Aries than it does to accept the anime's treatment of the scene. YMMV.
 
Jul 4, 7:47 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
Spaceship said:
shiro_kai said:
The anime can be good, but try to pretend it was nothing and the that the director just didn't just wanted to make free magical friendship fanservice is overlook the episode too much.


It's not fanservice if it reinforces a key theme of the show. You may think it was over-the-top or heavy-handed (pun intended), but it's not fanservice b/c it's not gratuitous.

Also, how the way of the own author in the manga can be wrong and worse than a human rope?


The dramatic concerns of manga are different that in anime. The episode needed a stronger dramatic conclusion than the manga, so the director made a (very understandable) change to up the tension and emphasize the teamwork theme.

And again, to me it requires more suspension of disbelief to accept the fact that Kanata could find the drifting cable so easily after retrieving Aries than it does to accept the anime's treatment of the scene. YMMV.


You're absolutely right, but I think we're fighting a losing battle here. You mentioned the usual suspects shitting on everyone's parade, and you're absolutely right because this guy is notorious for it. He always can find something to complain about, even the smallest, most insignificant things.

I'm done responding to him because you and I just refuted everything he said and he's got no counterargument.
 
Jul 4, 8:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 660
you guys made me feel a bit better about the scene but it still kinda bugs me a bit
i guess its because of how it looked and the risk involved
but you mentioning they still had fuel made me feel a bit better about it @ycleped
maybe it also just annoyed me that they needed to pull some friendship movement out of their ass
id have prefered if ulgar had just grabbed the rope with one hand ( since its connected to the space ship, without coiling it back up ) just hold it and then use the thruster like he did to catch kanata etc
or really could have been anyone to do that
im just not a fan of this out of nowhere dramatic friendship shit
the manga had none of that at all.
You son of a .. turtle

 
Jul 4, 8:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 927
ycleped said:
Spaceship said:


It's not fanservice if it reinforces a key theme of the show. You may think it was over-the-top or heavy-handed (pun intended), but it's not fanservice b/c it's not gratuitous.



The dramatic concerns of manga are different that in anime. The episode needed a stronger dramatic conclusion than the manga, so the director made a (very understandable) change to up the tension and emphasize the teamwork theme.

And again, to me it requires more suspension of disbelief to accept the fact that Kanata could find the drifting cable so easily after retrieving Aries than it does to accept the anime's treatment of the scene. YMMV.


You're absolutely right, but I think we're fighting a losing battle here. You mentioned the usual suspects shitting on everyone's parade, and you're absolutely right because this guy is notorious for it. He always can find something to complain about, even the smallest, most insignificant things.

I'm done responding to him because you and I just refuted everything he said and he's got no counterargument.


You said that you think that the decision of making a human rope by the director is not bad, I said that I think it is. How the hell that make your point valid and without a counterargument? I'm tired of trying to explain the obvious to people who think that a overdramatic scene that just make a whole little arc dumb for the sake of exalting the "magic and eternal" friendship of people who just meet 1 hour ago too, you know? You made a thread just to try to prove that "Anime is better than manga" but you don't point any fact that corroborates with that, your conclusion in the end is that you "liked". You can like wathever you want but HOW THAT MAKE IT BETTER THAN THE MANGA??? You talk about "movement" and "song" to make a point when the manga is obviously just... pages. wtf...

You're right, this whole argument has really no point. MAL is really a terrible place for discussions and very cancer. Goodbye.
 
Jul 5, 12:25 AM
Custom Title

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 316
I don't get it, people are angry over that one small change? that's dumb, as for the young girl being in the back that's probably for HER safety, also they're in zero gravity so it doesn't matter much that she's the weakest one there.
These people may be mostly strangers to each other but I'm pretty sure they all value human life enough to rescue someone who's floating in space. The only problem I see with this scene is that it's different to the manga.
Forum Signature
 
Jul 5, 5:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 660
Chimerared said:
I don't get it, people are angry over that one small change? that's dumb, as for the young girl being in the back that's probably for HER safety, also they're in zero gravity so it doesn't matter much that she's the weakest one there.
These people may be mostly strangers to each other but I'm pretty sure they all value human life enough to rescue someone who's floating in space. The only problem I see with this scene is that it's different to the manga.


what you'r saying is completely correct, but thats not the point
they aren't, we are angry because its a logical flaw
the problem is it was resolved with an unnecessary and complicated hand holding chain rope movement instead of 1 guy grabbing the rope with their hand, using the thruster to catch kanata and aries, like ulgar did anyway, he could have just grabbed the rope and it would have gone with him, its long enough, then they could have coiled them back up
all of that strange human rope was absolutely unnecessary and overdramatic when there is an easy solution for it
You son of a .. turtle

 
Jul 6, 3:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 166
Nim0174 said:
Chimerared said:
I don't get it, people are angry over that one small change? that's dumb, as for the young girl being in the back that's probably for HER safety, also they're in zero gravity so it doesn't matter much that she's the weakest one there.
These people may be mostly strangers to each other but I'm pretty sure they all value human life enough to rescue someone who's floating in space. The only problem I see with this scene is that it's different to the manga.


what you'r saying is completely correct, but thats not the point
they aren't, we are angry because its a logical flaw
the problem is it was resolved with an unnecessary and complicated hand holding chain rope movement instead of 1 guy grabbing the rope with their hand, using the thruster to catch kanata and aries, like ulgar did anyway, he could have just grabbed the rope and it would have gone with him, its long enough, then they could have coiled them back up
all of that strange human rope was absolutely unnecessary and overdramatic when there is an easy solution for it


There are plenty of logical explanations you could come up with for that and do you really need a logical explanation for every single little detail? A logical explanation would be that whoever went out there would probably run out of thruster fuel as well. They probably used a lot when they had to travel to the ship after being teleported. Alternatively, if they rewound the rope and sent another person out, that would probably take too long and they would drift too far away.

It doesn't hinder any plot or character development, so why do you have to be mad about it? In fact, it enhanced the characters and made the friendship theme more powerful, so it was a nice addition.
 
Jul 6, 3:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6027
Tsukizono said:


It doesn't hinder any plot or character development, so why do you have to be mad about it? In fact, it enhanced the characters and made the friendship theme more powerful, so it was a nice addition.


Enhancing the friendship theme when we barely know about the characters or they hardly know each other? Unfortunately no.

The manga has plenty of scenes in future to stress upon such shounen themes, just keeping it simple would have been enough. Hopefully there won't be further changes like this in future.
 
Jul 6, 3:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 660
Tsukizono said:
Nim0174 said:


what you'r saying is completely correct, but thats not the point
they aren't, we are angry because its a logical flaw
the problem is it was resolved with an unnecessary and complicated hand holding chain rope movement instead of 1 guy grabbing the rope with their hand, using the thruster to catch kanata and aries, like ulgar did anyway, he could have just grabbed the rope and it would have gone with him, its long enough, then they could have coiled them back up
all of that strange human rope was absolutely unnecessary and overdramatic when there is an easy solution for it


There are plenty of logical explanations you could come up with for that and do you really need a logical explanation for every single little detail? A logical explanation would be that whoever went out there would probably run out of thruster fuel as well. They probably used a lot when they had to travel to the ship after being teleported. Alternatively, if they rewound the rope and sent another person out, that would probably take too long and they would drift too far away.

It doesn't hinder any plot or character development, so why do you have to be mad about it? In fact, it enhanced the characters and made the friendship theme more powerful, so it was a nice addition.


they don't need to rewind the rope
they can grab the rope as it is with one hand and jump out while holding the rope, then use the remaining thruster fuel to catch kanata and aries like ulgar did anyway (he just had to grab the rope beforehand lmao, no need to rewind it), the rope will go with him as long as he holds a part of it, he won't need any fuel to get back as they can just rewind the rope after he catches them.
its not a nice addition if it makes no sense
ofc im mad, you can't just throw all decision making logic out of the window for the sake of drama and "friendship" lol
Modified by Nim0174, Jul 6, 6:21 AM
You son of a .. turtle

 
Jul 6, 5:02 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 6872
Tbh, the fact that Kanata would rather depend on inertia to get back to the ship, rather than the wire (which is a much closer and safer option) was a bad choice. I get that they wanna sell the whole teamwork thing, but who in the right mind would depend on inertia to get back to a ship that's couple of hundred of meters away, rather than a wire that's 10 meters away at most. Sure, perfectly aiming yourself towards a wire is hard, but perfectly aiming yourself towards a ship that's that far away is even harder. And besides, as long as you underaim for the wire, it's not to hard to get. What I mean is that, you don't need to aim for the tip of the wire. Instead, you can aim for a part of the wire that's further away. That way, if you're projections are wrong, you'll still be able to grab a part of the wire that's before or after the part you aimed. Here's my shitty MS paint drawing



As long as you aim somewhere in the middle, even if you over or underaim, you might still grab a part of the wire. Or... you could end up being off by left or right. But it's still more reliable then going all the way back to the ship. Not that it kills my enjoyment of this series, but it does feel like a blunder to an otherwise interesting series.
 
Jul 6, 6:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 660
@GoldenDevilGamer thats pretty much what happened in the manga
he went back to the wire and with that to the ship
You son of a .. turtle

 
Jul 6, 9:10 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 6872
Nim0174 said:
@GoldenDevilGamer thats pretty much what happened in the manga
he went back to the wire and with that to the ship
Yeah, I've read the first volume before. I was just talking about how the anime handled it.
 
Jul 6, 9:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 660
GoldenDevilGamer said:
Nim0174 said:
@GoldenDevilGamer thats pretty much what happened in the manga
he went back to the wire and with that to the ship
Yeah, I've read the first volume before. I was just talking about how the anime handled it.


As you said, not good xD
You son of a .. turtle

 
Jul 8, 5:31 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3
This thread has turned from an "anime version is better" standpoint to "the first episode conveys an unrealistic approach to an obviously dangerous situation that the directors thought would help with plot armour".

1) I've read through the manga after seeing the first episode of the anime. I don't generally have a preference between liking manga/anime/novel et cetera, so long as it doesn't stray much from its source material. For the most part, the anime has stayed true to its original and I don't have any complaints to voice.

2) After watching the scene and reviewing the manga's first chapter, the so-called 'act of friendship' plan to reach out to save Kanata and Aries - it all just seems rather counter-intuitive. As stated previously by other thread replies, it really seems like it's just one of those shonen tropes thrown in by the directors. It doesn't add anything nor subtruct anything from the series in my view, but as pointed out, it is rather unrealistic.

If such detail fusses anyone out to the point they are going to drop a series over such a minor detail, just avoid the shonen genre as a whole. I recommend this series entirely, and you should read manga instead if you would rather more realism.
 
Jul 8, 6:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 32
If you think that rather light cable which was basically floating with only two forces involved (tension from the "machine" and also inertion causes by said tension, especially when Kanata unplugged6) is easier to catch than human-chain which in zero gravity would be rather easy to conduct and then steer, then I'd suggest giving it yet another thought.

I'd buy anime version 100 times over manga one.
 
Jul 8, 8:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 660
Freiszcze said:
If you think that rather light cable which was basically floating with only two forces involved (tension from the "machine" and also inertion causes by said tension, especially when Kanata unplugged6) is easier to catch than human-chain which in zero gravity would be rather easy to conduct and then steer, then I'd suggest giving it yet another thought.

I'd buy anime version 100 times over manga one.


Kanata doesn't need to catch it.

The Rope is connected to the Ship.
Remember when Ulgar went with his fuel in the Anime to catch Kanata?
Could have just grabbed the Rope. Its connected right to the Ship. Hold Rope while catching Kanata, the same way he did in the Anime, then let the rest pull them back up. Without Handchain.
Easy Solution. Doesn't cost more time, Doesn't use more Fuel. Less melodramatic.
You son of a .. turtle

 
Jul 9, 2:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 32
Nim0174 said:
Freiszcze said:
If you think that rather light cable which was basically floating with only two forces involved (tension from the "machine" and also inertion causes by said tension, especially when Kanata unplugged6) is easier to catch than human-chain which in zero gravity would be rather easy to conduct and then steer, then I'd suggest giving it yet another thought.

I'd buy anime version 100 times over manga one.


Kanata doesn't need to catch it.

The Rope is connected to the Ship.
Remember when Ulgar went with his fuel in the Anime to catch Kanata?
Could have just grabbed the Rope. Its connected right to the Ship. Hold Rope while catching Kanata, the same way he did in the Anime, then let the rest pull them back up. Without Handchain.
Easy Solution. Doesn't cost more time, Doesn't use more Fuel. Less melodramatic.


This isn't scenario either from manga or anime. I merely pointed out that "human-chain" is as effective if not more than "grabbing randomly floating cable".

Also, pointing out "Easy Solution. Doesn't cost more time, Doesn't use more Fuel. Less melodramatic." assumes that heroes we're presented with are super reasonable and are able in such dire situation come up with most efficient plan.

I'm willing to pass this one as a "friendship and cooperation is important" exposition. I'm more concerned with other things, like "disappearing" objects from frames, only to appear when they are needed (like "Per Aspera ad Astra" plate).
 
Jul 9, 3:08 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 101
From the arguments discussed above, it seems that the people are disappointed with the change in scene of human chain, which doesn't happen in the manga. While for sure the human chain is fallacious, it wasn't that bad to be honest.

I mean, they've not explained:
1. how did they align themselves?
2. how is the ship stationary in spite of the human movements (Newton's third law: every action has an equal and opposite reaction)
3. how was Zack able to remain in one place in spite of being subjected to the force of the hand of the other people in the chain? did he tie himself to something? or was there something attached to his shoes?

However, for me personally, the BGM in that scene played a huge role to like it, in spite of being fallacious. It fit the scene perfectly and made it enjoyable personally. Now I do realize that backing up such scientific errors with music is BS, but come on guys, it's anime. No one questions how did


Modified by Koustubh, Jul 9, 5:18 AM
 
Jul 9, 3:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 29
We have people travelling faster than the speed of light, which is physically impossible, and people are bickering over a human chain. Jeez.
 
Jul 9, 5:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 101
swn said:
We have people travelling faster than the speed of light, which is physically impossible, and people are bickering over a human chain. Jeez.


This is the perfect epitome for this entire thread. Cheers!
 
Jul 17, 11:34 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 123
I have to admit the scene was pretty terrible.
If they wanted to do the whole human chain thing to emphasis teamwork/friendship/whatever, then they should've gotten rid of the rope in the first place. He should've flown out towards her with no rope, maybe he goes a bit off course on the way and has to adjust using more fuel, then doesn't have enough to fix his course on the way back, hence they need to grab him.
By having the rope, it causes the entire scene to make zero sense. Even if for some reason Kanata couldn't just propel himself to the rope instead of the ship, he could just propel himself towards the ship, any single dude remaining on the ship could propel themselves to grab Kanata while holding the rope, then have the rest of them reel them back in.
The desire to emphasize teamwork as well is silly. The whole point is that the characters are not friendly, and are standoffish in the beginning. As the series goes on, they start working together more, becoming friends, etc. It doesn't make sense to have that scene in the beginning.

Also, I say all this as someone who watched the episode before reading the manga, so it isn't a case of "why did they change it grr". While watching the episode, the only thing I could think of, was "why don't you just use the fucking rope?".
 
Jul 18, 1:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 660
swn said:
We have people travelling faster than the speed of light, which is physically impossible, and people are bickering over a human chain. Jeez.
the human chain was a logical inconsistency because there were alternatives that would be less ridiculous
a spaceship travelling at x speed is not a logical inconsistency within fiction
missing logical decision making is

it just felt forced, overdramatic to me and many others
you could argue its not a big deal , and you are probably right
but personally it just bugs me nonetheless, like a mosquito
You son of a .. turtle

 
Jul 30, 6:24 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 105
shiro_kai said:
Director: "Hey we have a scene that develops the main girl and the MC relationship, what if we turn that scene into nothing just to make a big dramatic scene where everybody has to risk their lives doing a human rope with the plan that the guy with 200 IQ just did while defying logic to show the power of friendship"?

Assistant 1: "But Mrs. director few seconds ago we have a scene where they use a tether."

Director: "It doesn't matter, just pretend it doesn't exist or that they can't get it back, the power of friendship is more important!!."

Assistant 2: "But we just have 12 episodes and a lot of material, we can't keep adding things just to...".

Director:" I SAID FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC!!".


Yeah, direction is "awesome". Who cares about logic, consistency or even gravity in space when MAGIC HANDHOLDING FRIENDSHIP can solve any problem.



I think it also worked in DitF
 
Top