Forum Settings
Forums

What's an anime that's supposed to be sad but didn't resonate with you at all?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 5, 2019 8:54 PM

Nov 2018
Hoshi no Koe... everything seemed so ridiculous forced that it made me laugh

❝見つめないで 悲しい方を
目を瞑って 口づけしよう
甘く溶けるメロディー❞

❝邪魔しないで
真夜中のパラダイス
息もせずに潜っていく
二人だけのダンス❞
Jul 5, 2019 9:03 PM

Jul 2016
I dont remember why, but I laughed at the end of Angel Beats. Either way, never felt sad

also semi-count: ive heard a lot of people say that they cried at the end of Banana Fish, but I was just pissed lmao, the incident w eiji before was a lot more impactful and tearjerking than the ending. Semi count cause I did cry, just not at multiple spots like what the general idea is
Jul 5, 2019 9:34 PM

Feb 2018
Kimi no Na wa - I felt nothing D:

Your Lie in April - I tried three times to get through the whole show but it's hard... I'll finish it one day.. but it just feels a bit forced and I feel like the animation/design is the biggest appeal to people. I actually felt more real emotions watching Nodame (even though it's not supposed to be sad) and liked the untampered scores from there better, also related more.

I'm surprised at how many brought up Your Lie though since all my musician "friends" seemed to rave over it, but they won't give Nodame a chance because it doesn't look as appealing from animation POV '-'

Angel Beats - I liked it (more for comedy) but I didn't drown in tears afterwards lol.

Jul 5, 2019 9:49 PM

Oct 2018
Could never find any interest in your lie in April. It felt like it was a whole 24 episodes just try and make you cry at the end without having a good enough plot to keep me motivated to watch it.

Jul 5, 2019 9:52 PM

Jun 2015
almost all of them
anime has a problem with dramatic execution and thematic importance of actions

i blame the heavy expressionist influences

Jul 6, 2019 1:04 AM

Dec 2014
Definitely, Anohana.
I couldn't take the drama seriously, at least one character cries in every damn episode, i didn't like any of the characters nor i connected with any of them.
That aside, the ending was obvious and it was too melodramatic for me
RightGateFeb 3, 2021 8:18 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2019 2:06 AM

Jun 2019
What's funny tho, when i watched Clannad for the first time i don't think i ever cried, however when i rewatched it, i realized that clannad was of the most saddest and depressed anime i ever witnessed. Clannad/Clannad after story is now one of my favorite anime. Going back to the topic, Plastic Memories was meant to be sad but I never cried once, actually I was just laughing throughout the whole series at how bad it was.
Jul 6, 2019 2:18 AM

Apr 2017
For me it's definitely AnoHana. To lesser degree Plastic Memories. There were other shows like that, but especially in case of AnoHana I really felt very little sadness. It was overall just a bit boring and that's it. In case of Plastic Memories I did feel a bit of sadness occasionally, but people pit it as some great tearjerker, which I don't really understand.

My theory is that if show is supposed to be sad, it should also be relatable otherwise it doesn't wake up empathy in people as much as it otherwise could have. And that's probably why some shows just doesn't do it for me. That would explain why I couldn't feel sad for shows where much of emotional things are based on ghost of childhood friend or androids, etc. Although it definitely depends on execution too, since I remember feeling fairly emotional with Chobits, which is similar to PM in some ways.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jul 6, 2019 2:29 AM
Apr 2018
Angel beats - the ending did not feel natural, it was forced and artificial.

Silent Voice was not even a tad bit sad as well.
Jul 6, 2019 2:41 AM
May 2019
Anohana I didn't find it sad as much as funny. Especially the whole I come here from the dead to fulfil a wish that I forgot. To me that anime was comedy gold I remember lmfao with my friends while watching it.
Jul 6, 2019 5:50 AM

Jul 2013
I couldn't take Anohana seriously when one of the childhood friends started cosplaying as Menma and running around in the woods at night.
Jul 6, 2019 6:03 AM

Sep 2012
Oh boy, let's see:

• Sword Art Online
  • Darling in the Franxx
  • Evangelion (Though I plan to rewatch it and see if I feel any different now)
  • Houseki no Kuni
  • Tokyo Ghoul

I think that's about it.
Jul 6, 2019 6:15 AM

Dec 2018
anohana.worst trash show on this planet
If you rated Jujutsu Kaisen a 10/10, then your opinion is not valid.

AOT>FMAB
Jul 6, 2019 7:13 AM

Jun 2017
Angel beats was just a piece of shit honestly syjdjdjd i'm surprised ppl actually connected with it
Jul 6, 2019 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
Your lie in April which was, in my opinion, a let down. It was filled with ridiculously annoying characters and a painfully predictable plot. I get that it's supposed to be predictable, being a melodrama and all, but I honestly didn't care about continuing because the characters never resonated with me nor did they interest me in any way. They told me to reach for the tissue box and I just threw it at my television.

Koe no Katachi. I'm still watching it which overall defines the problem. Nishimiya is a paperish character that can be replaced with an android from Detroit become human and evoke more emotions that way. Seriously, do people actually behave that way? Throughout the whole movie I kept wondering when on Earth she decided to like that bully (whatever his name is, I don't remember) because I saw zero chemistry. We weren't halfway through yet to begin with so I dunno if she's a masochist or anything. I'll probably try to finish it one day, given that I'm prepared to tolerate her character again. This movie isn't the face of tackling no the issue of bullying of people of determination. It's a disease and that's dangerous.

Angel Beats. Overrated. Tate no Yuusha nariagari made me more emotional. Also there were many unanswered plot holes.

Kimi no na wa. Was this supposed to be sad? A friend of mine described it as emotional but I'm not sure if she meant that it was a tearjerker. Another movie that was just pretty (and somewhat entertaining) but left me with more questions than answers in the end.

Violet Evergarden. I'm not an art connoisseur but this is that sort of piece that's absolutely stunning to look at but evokes zero emotions. Except for maybe a tinge of remorse for that General.

Jul 6, 2019 8:07 AM

May 2018
Koe no Katachi. Over dramatic teenagers.
Jul 6, 2019 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
Violet Evergarden: the characters barely had any development for me to emotionally care about them. The only reason I love this series is literally just because of the art.

91 Days: it's supposed to be a drama, yet none of the sad scenes really hit me, after I thought about them, because of the lack of interesting characters. No wonder people forgot about this series so quickly.

Erased: I was never able to feel for the abused little girl, because her personality is that she's an abused little girl, and that's it.

House of 5 Leaves: it's a well done drama, and I did care for the characters and their conflict, but because of how low-key the drama is, how little intensity the drama has, I just wasn't able to feel for the characters as much as I could have.

A Silent Voice: it's a drama anime about teenagers trying to get over some crap that happened when they were kids. How am I supposed to care for this?

MrLegitimacy said:
Oh boy, let's see:

• Sword Art Online
  • Darling in the Franxx
  • Evangelion (Though I plan to rewatch it and see if I feel any different now)
  • Houseki no Kuni
  • Tokyo Ghoul

I think that's about it.

I don't think those are anime meant to make you feel emotional.
Jul 6, 2019 8:30 AM

Apr 2016
Nothing, why would anyone cry over an animated drawing, what a bunch of wuss. Literally they don't exist, why don't you go outside more and meet people instead of sobbing for something non existent to begin with.
Jul 6, 2019 11:59 AM
Apr 2019
Your Lie in April,, It really didn't hit me that hard and isn't super memorable. Sorta bored me.
Jul 6, 2019 12:06 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Anohana and that survival heaven Anime which name I forgot. I were rather indifferent in both of them.
Jul 6, 2019 12:07 PM

Sep 2018
Air did not resonate at all with me. I did not care for the setting character shift randomly.
Jul 6, 2019 12:14 PM

Dec 2015
Angel Beats. I liked it but it was too rushed for me to get enough attachment to the characters.
•••Everyone wants to connect with someone else•••
~Kiznaiver
Jul 6, 2019 12:15 PM

Apr 2017
Sakurai_Aoi said:
Shichisei no Subaru is a good example of this. The whole scenario was sad but I didn't actually feel that way at all. The characters were boring and I just couldn't connect with them.

ehmm... Shichisei... a Drama anime..? excuse me but it didn't have any drama element IIRC.
Jul 6, 2019 12:40 PM

Aug 2013
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. Definitely. I couldn't stand the direction style and how they presented the drama. Last episodes were just nothing but waiting for obvious thing to happen. That's probably the only wide known drama series that didn't manage to do anything with my emotions.
If Violet Evergarden is considered as something dramatic, I would pick it on this list too. But this anime has many other problems besides the fact how's the drama handled.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 6, 2019 1:24 PM

May 2019
Probably Your Lie In April. I watched the whole thing, and I would still consider it a good anime, but I think the ending was obvious. I knew since the beginning that was how it was going to end. The predictability ruined it for me. The pace was also really slow too. Not a terrible anime, but it didn't make me bawl like all my friends who've watched it did.
Jul 6, 2019 3:04 PM

Oct 2018
Your Lie in April. hadn't heard anything about the story before i watched it but somehow i just knew from the beginning

so it was just so predictable that it didn't hit me at all. and it felt like it was trying so hard to pull at my heartstrings that it made me want to purposely not feel sad at all.

also Anohana. was not sad at all and was such a pain to watch cuz it also felt like it was trying so hard not only to pull at my heartstrings but to make me find the little ghost girl(forgot her name) cute, which was annoying. basically i hate when an anime tries so hard to make you feel a certain type of emotion instead of telling the story and letting you feel or interpret it how ever you choose to, if that makes any sense. i hope it does.
AutobahhnJul 6, 2019 3:08 PM
Jul 6, 2019 3:08 PM

Dec 2017
oh boy another "look how tough I am" thread...

Clannad AS

Probably cause I stopped caring about the main characters halfway through.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Jul 6, 2019 3:12 PM

Sep 2017
Many of Makoto Shinkai movies, especially Garden of Words and 5 centimeters per second

Yep, their story is supposed to be sad but I didn't feel like it, I was even bored by these movies (but I like love stories however, so...eh)

And also Clannad AS
I kinda knew what to expect and I was sad, but I didn't cry like I did with other animes
Jul 6, 2019 3:38 PM

Nov 2015
Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice)

Plenty of shows have made me cry (or at least feel a bit emotional) but I didn't really feel anything while watching this. I'm not saying it wasn't sad or anything - I could definitely see that it was supposed to be emotional and tear-jerking, but I just didn't really feel anything. Same with Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April)

All the other shows that people are mentioning are definitely sad for me.
Superns18 said:
GERXjakobson said:
Anohana. Maybe it's because I'm no and never was a hikikomori who hates his life
and never met a ghost-girl who I have known before.

:( menma, we found you.. legit destroyed me

Man, if I wasn't bawling my eyes out during that last episode - especially when the ED [Secret Base] started playing in the background. :'(

Superns18 said:
-Senpapi said:
Angel beats for sure. The ending was just childish, and it held no emotional value for me tbh. Maybe because I thought the characters were uninteresting, so I had no attachment to them. It's something that you cry to when you're 13, but I just couldn't find it sad.

People recommend that one to me a lot, I'll have to try it.

It's a good watch and hits a lot of emotional beats. It definitely made me tear up - though not to the same extent as Anohana.
Jul 6, 2019 3:51 PM

Jul 2017
Orange. I'm not sure anyone even cares about Orange anymore but I remember being so disgruntled with the way it handled drama. Not that it was in poor taste, but the characters I was supposed to feel sorry for weren't fleshed out enough.
Jul 6, 2019 6:15 PM
Dec 2017
Kuro_Neko04 said:
Sakurai_Aoi said:
Shichisei no Subaru is a good example of this. The whole scenario was sad but I didn't actually feel that way at all. The characters were boring and I just couldn't connect with them.

ehmm... Shichisei... a Drama anime..? excuse me but it didn't have any drama element IIRC.

Not really, no. Well, maybe it did a little. That still didn't make it easier to watch though.
Jul 6, 2019 7:59 PM

Sep 2014
Themousen said:
Many of Makoto Shinkai movies, especially Garden of Words and 5 centimeters per second

Yep, their story is supposed to be sad but I didn't feel like it, I was even bored by these movies (but I like love stories however, so...eh)

Same here, at least I'm not the only one! idk why I just can't seem to get into Makoto Shinkai movies other than the pretty art, I'm more a fan of Mamoru Hosoda's movies

also Hotarubi no Mori e (movie) wasn't sad for me either that movie was meh...
sunsetoceanJul 6, 2019 8:12 PM

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Jul 6, 2019 8:13 PM

Nov 2014
Violet Evergarden was too over the top for me to care about anything that was happening and the main character was completely uninteresting.
Forum Signature
Jul 6, 2019 8:45 PM

Jul 2017
akame ga kill - the deaths are overly dramatic and i couldn't give a shit about any of the characters.

devilman: crybaby - its cool and all but it was more shocking than acually sad, the end was complete wtf that it made me go "wait, that's it?" rather than acually feeling sad.

elfen lied - ehh, why do i need to feel sad for a killing machine in the form of a child?

hai to gensou no grimgar - atleast get us attached before killing someone.

madoka magica: the edge. aka mahou shoujo site - i just felt pity for the characters, and it wasn't good pity.

koi to uso - thinking about it now, alot of the drama seems forced and unnecessary.

mirai nikki - sorry but i ain't fucking with any of the characters from this show so it obviously didn't resonate with me.
Jul 8, 2019 6:39 AM

Aug 2018
For me, it's Plastic Memories! I know, Plastic Memories plays with our emotions, but I just couldn't get to it. Maybe because I've seen many anime which have similar stories before (Your Lie In April, for example).
Jul 8, 2019 11:14 AM

Oct 2008
*These resonated, just not enough, I should probably rewatch three of them:

Petshop of Horrors
Requiem from the Darkness
Prism Ark
Ookamikakushi (I should rewatch it)

*And these didn't resonate at all:

Orange
Piano no Mori
Shigofumi
Jul 8, 2019 11:53 AM

Aug 2016
I somehow managed to digest the first season of Clannad, but dropped 2nd season few episodes in. I somehow failed to find any drama there.

Same with Angel Beats. Also the omnipresent highschool setting (god, why do you have to go to school even in afterlife?) ruins everything.

The movie I least understand the hype for is A Silent Voice. It's a bounch of edgy teenagers grieving over some dumb shit they did at very young age. Now some years later they still remember all that and feel even more guilty... wtf.
Jul 8, 2019 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
Angel beats, heard it makes us cry but tbh that show was so confused in itself
Like a minute, it has comedy and suddenly a sad scene, I didn't like that
Jul 8, 2019 2:44 PM

Jul 2014
-Your lie in April.
-Angel Beats.
They couldnt make me cry let alone care for the characters.
Oct 10, 2019 10:53 PM
May 2019
Clannad 2 - everything seems predictable and I honestly think MC is stubborn asf.

Angel Beats - It's comedy one second then boom, someone we don't care about because one episode isn't enough to resonate with a cliche character is disheartening. Be sad.

Hunter X Hunter - Don't get me wrong the series is almost perfect, but in the ant chimera arc, Gon seems a little too sad over Kite for the amount of time they spent together.
sebboboOct 10, 2019 11:03 PM
Oct 10, 2019 10:56 PM

Aug 2016
Your Lie In April, the "drama" and characters just randomly crying out of nowhere was pretty hilarious and cringe. I couldn't get into it at all. Although I haven't been able to get into any of the teenage melodramas for a long time now.
Oct 11, 2019 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
I guess Your Lie in April. I really liked it but for some reason it didn't make me cry.

Also most Key works as well.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

11 by Ex-Aid »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

32 by Ex-Aid »»
5 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 10 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

50 by Ex-Aid »»
16 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

979 by Ixtiilii »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.