Myanimelist ranking vs other websites [poll vote]

New
Jul 3, 2019 8:54 AM

Jun 2014
Mal https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

reddit list http://www.redditanimelist.net/

Anime planet https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/top-anime

anilist https://anilist.co/search/anime?sort=SCORE_DESC

Which list do you agree with more and what made these list different from each other? different culture in different forum sites? Or just different type of people?

Also if you know more anime ranking site, feel free to post it.

https://www.quiz-maker.com/poll2411011x6F9a4d78-69
NenuserZodiacJul 3, 2019 9:26 AM
*Checks SetsukoHara favorite list.* has one piece as favorite in manga section. Confirm op fanboy. Tries to change subject because I'm talking negative about his favorite series. One piece fanboy logic detected.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 3, 2019 11:13 AM

Aug 2010
I cant really agree with putting individual seasons on a list. ESPECIALLY if its part 2 of a season.
shows should be looked at as a whole.

but in truth all these lists suck equally
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 3, 2019 11:16 AM

Mar 2015
My favorite anime isn't #1 on any of them so they're all shit obviously
Jul 3, 2019 11:17 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
MAL has biggest userbase thus their scores are the most "legit"

Aside that... don't care about scores. As they are irrelevant to my personal enjoyment.
Jul 3, 2019 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
You forgot to include a poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 3, 2019 11:35 AM

Jan 2019
Anilist > MAL > Animeplanet.

Redditanimelist wont work for me, and its just taken from MAL anyways.
Jul 3, 2019 12:57 PM

Oct 2014
ComboSmooth said:
I cant really agree with putting individual seasons on a list. ESPECIALLY if its part 2 of a season.
But for AOT specifically it came out 9 months apart for season 3, and some seasons including AoT are separated by many years. Why don't you agree with that?

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jul 3, 2019 12:59 PM

Aug 2017
I prefer anidb rankings since it has been around longer than mal has.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2019 1:00 PM

May 2009
I don't think they're really all that much different, honestly.

They just mainly consist of the same general set of shows.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 3, 2019 1:06 PM

Mar 2019
ComboSmooth said:

The reason they do this is probably because these seasons often come out years apart with no guarantee there will be a second season.

Not much to do about that.

In any case I'd almost feel disgusted that My Waifu Attack on Titan is apparently put in the same breath as that completely uninspired and uninteresting Full Metal Alchemist.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jul 3, 2019 1:08 PM

Jan 2018
The winner is obviously Reddit with Aria the Origination in the top 10.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jul 3, 2019 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
Anime-Planet is the trashiest of them all. Oversensitive fujoshit/feminazi overlord. Terrible and bland design. Rorico-fan/thatanimesnob reviews are present there which makes it cancerous by default.

And seeing that high ammount of stupid and foolish commentary on character pages makes me feel thankfull for the fact that MAL will never implement it over here. *spits on the ground* Frickin' disgusting website!

I'll stick with MAL and /a/.

Edit: Oh hang on this thread was about rankings? Then just forget what I said.
Jul 3, 2019 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Jul 3, 2019 2:56 PM

Jan 2018
ComboSmooth said:

I feel you fam, but that would just make most shows unreviewable.

For example, you couldn't review shows like One Piece, you gotta wait 15 years to give off a review of Naruto, and etc... that's why we give off a seasonal review. But, of course, you can review the series as a whole after the series ends.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 3, 2019 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
Respect to reddit and anilist for Sangatsu S2 being the third and fourth respectively. That was a fantastic experience.
Jul 3, 2019 3:13 PM

Aug 2018
Reddit and Mal are pretty OK... but omg, anilist and aniplanet are a fking joke... it seems like they were made by people that watched anime for less than 2 years. A fking joke.
Jul 3, 2019 3:32 PM

Oct 2014
Now that i think about it, these are just the same type of audiences across all those websites, and MAL is literally just the biggest one which by default makes it the go to for audience scores. If you included Anikore, the Japanese MAL, that would be interesting.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jul 3, 2019 3:39 PM
Aug 2011
reddit because Shigatsu is the lowest
which i'm surprised with because that's a pretty reddit type of show
in other words... cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyying about everything
Jul 3, 2019 3:56 PM

Jan 2009
err the one with the biggest sample size wins obviously so MAL it is
Jul 3, 2019 4:05 PM

Oct 2017
MAL draws from a far larger sample size than the rest of the lists so the information is far more useful and a better representative of the anime community. The same bunch of series are highly rated on all lists. The exact order of them doesn't really matter to me, it's more about how series' are viewed by others in general.
Jul 3, 2019 4:18 PM

Jan 2015
all lists are equally filled with trash in top10 (bnha, monogatari, gintama, 3gatsu)
Jul 3, 2019 7:58 PM

Oct 2017
R is Reddit. M is MAL. A is Anilist. P is AnimePlanet.

Good taste wins points.

(For those tragically lacking in a sense of humor I should say this is a joke. I don't necessarily think there is an objective 'good taste'. I'm applying everything I think is important to form a taste that I respect, in a tongue-in-cheek way.)

How overrated is Your Name? (normie test)
R3 M1 A2 P0

How respected is Clannad: After Story? (soul test)
R1 M3 A2 P0

How resepected is Monogatari? (fan service tolerance test)
R2 M1 A3 P0

How overrated are MP100 / OPM? (sakugatard test)
R1 M3 A2 P0

How respected is Fate? (otaku culture appreciation test)
R3 M1 A2 P0

How overrated is The Promised Neverland? (recency bias test)
R3 M1 A2 P0

How overrated is GTO? (reverse recency bias test)
R3 M0 A1 P2

I wanted to do an anti-moe / anti-CGDCT bias test too but didn't know the best way to go about it and this already took too long.

Final scores:

Reddit=16
MAL=10
AniList=14
AnimePlanet=2

Surprised Reddit won tbh... I can't stand the community on there with all the normies that flood in from other boards. Can't discuss a show with a good sexy anime girl - espcially if they even approach loli territory - without some asshole with a retarded borrowed moral framework they absorbed from being a such a fucking sheep trying to ruin everyones fun.

But it was still cose... for the most part lol. My big takeaway form this is that AnimePlanet is pure cancer and if I ever get the kind of resources necessary to purge it from the internet I won't hesitate.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 3, 2019 8:10 PM

Nov 2017
Sphinxter said:
ComboSmooth said:

The reason they do this is probably because these seasons often come out years apart with no guarantee there will be a second season.

In any case I'd almost feel disgusted that My Waifu Attack on Titan is apparently put in the same breath as that completely uninspired and uninteresting Full Metal Alchemist.

That's funny because FMA is one of the big inspirations of SNK's mangaka.
Jul 3, 2019 8:47 PM
Jul 2018
ComboSmooth said:

Nobody complains about individual seasons being on a list unless it's attack on titan. As if it's done a crime by getting high score.
Jul 3, 2019 8:53 PM

Oct 2013
alcidescouto1956 said:
Sphinxter said:

Nope, lies. Isayama has never mention fma being a inspiration. I don't where you guys are getting your source from, person said the same thing with claymore as well.
Jul 3, 2019 10:35 PM

Dec 2016
I prefer Ranker.

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/best-anime-series-all-time

A much more accurate representation of mainstream audiences that recognise that the purpose of the anime media is just to provide entertainment, with over 500k voters and almost 5m total votes.

The worst is by far Anidb, a site that looks like founded by Thatanimesnob or something.
Jul 3, 2019 10:52 PM

Feb 2017
alcidescouto1956 said:
Sphinxter said:

SNK took inspiration from Muv Luv Alternative. I bet most of SNK fans didn't know it lol
Jul 3, 2019 11:01 PM

Oct 2010
They're almost the same, I am used to mal so I give it my vote by default.
Nick-Knight said:
Anime-Planet is the trashiest of them all. Oversensitive fujoshit/feminazi overlord. Terrible and bland design. Rorico-fan/thatanimesnob reviews are present there which makes it cancerous by default.

And seeing that high ammount of stupid and foolish commentary on character pages makes me feel thankfull for the fact that MAL will never implement it over here. *spits on the ground* Frickin' disgusting website!

Is she that evil? I had a log in problem and she helped me. And about those comments on character page, I think they're funny/schitzofrenic, why on earth would you talk to a waifu? The comments on 02, 15 and yuno are cancer indeed.
Jul 3, 2019 11:12 PM

Oct 2014
they're all bad

but the worst one is anime-planet for having 2 seasons of BNHA in the top 20
Jul 3, 2019 11:12 PM

Aug 2016
Mal and anilist don't really have anything outlandish. I would say those make appropriate rankings.

Reddit looks like it's just missing Ergo Proxy, Kino's Journey, and Angel's Egg to complete what their going for.

Anime-Planet is a joke. I like Haikyuu and My Hero Academia but top 10? Nah... It especially lost all credibility when it put I wanna Eat your Pancreas that high
Jul 4, 2019 2:28 AM

Aug 2017
Reedit > MAL >>> Anilist > Anime planet
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 4, 2019 2:55 AM

Apr 2017
Neither is ideal, but I think Reddit has the best list, followed by MAL. AniList and Anime Planet both sucks.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jul 4, 2019 5:46 AM
Jul 4, 2019 7:21 AM

Sep 2018
AniDB is the best probably but from the one you gave i would say Anilist. But pretty much every list is shit imo, the fact that SnK and BNHA are so high up in so many list speaks for itself.Both are decent shows but nothin outstanding tbh.
-Mullerio-Jul 4, 2019 7:28 AM
Jul 4, 2019 7:28 AM
Nov 2017
They are actually almost the same. FMAB is a no. 1, while the others isn't that different. So, I guess they are kinda the same? Even my favorite is Anilist, but MAL is a little bit the same for me.
Jul 4, 2019 7:32 AM
Tuturuuuuuu

Sep 2016
Orryx said:
My favorite anime isn't #1 on any of them so they're all shit obviously

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH I FEEL EXACTLY LIKE THAT MY MAN!
Jul 4, 2019 7:34 AM

Oct 2018

On AnimePlanet, My hero academia, My F*CKING hero academia, what is more, 2 seasons of it are higher rated than Steins;Gate

One season has even higher rating than Hunter x Hunter

What kind of joke is that?

Don't get me wrong, My hero academia is not a bad anime and I liked all season of it so far, but it's nothing like HxH or Steins;Gate
Jul 4, 2019 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
Shayon said:
they're all bad

And Promised Neverland in top 20. Seasonal hype is pretty strong there apparently.
Jul 4, 2019 7:48 AM

Apr 2019
Anikore (Japanese MAL) is much more closer to my tastes, so I'll go with that.

Jul 4, 2019 7:50 AM

Feb 2018
Wait, Reddit has an animelist?!?!?
Jul 4, 2019 8:07 AM

Aug 2018
Every site has similar ratings and I disagree on the same things.
Texhnolyze is very low in every site.
Aku no Hana (anime) is PAINFULLY low in every site.
Koe no Katachi is painfully high in every site.
Kizumonogatari is painfully high in every site.
And stuff like that...
But, anyways, I don't care about top anime ratings. Why should I?
Jul 4, 2019 9:18 AM

Apr 2010
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I don't think they're really all that much different, honestly.

They just mainly consist of the same general set of shows.

This one. Can't see a huge difference.

Mar 24, 2020 7:11 PM
Aug 2019
All rankings suck, how a comedy anime has better score than an anime that has so deep philosophy, pychoanalyze of characters, adorable metaphores e.t.c. ? I did not see IMDB's list before watching The Shawsank Redemption(I watch tons of movies since childhood) and It was my best movie, and yeah, IMDB was right! But these illogical anime lists have never hit! I guess non-japanese anime fans have IQ problems.
Mar 24, 2020 7:50 PM

Jul 2019
NenuserZodiac said:
Mal https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

reddit list http://www.redditanimelist.net/

Anime planet https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/top-anime

anilist https://anilist.co/search/anime?sort=SCORE_DESC

Which list do you agree with more and what made these list different from each other? different culture in different forum sites? Or just different type of people?

Also if you know more anime ranking site, feel free to post it.

https://www.quiz-maker.com/poll2411011x6F9a4d78-69
You should have made a poll here in this thread with more options like AniDb, IMDb etc.
WhiteGirlSlaver said:
All rankings suck, how a comedy anime has better score than an anime that has so deep philosophy, pychoanalyze of characters, adorable metaphores e.t.c. ? I did not see IMDB's list before watching The Shawsank Redemption(I watch tons of movies since childhood) and It was my best movie, and yeah, IMDB was right! But these illogical anime lists have never hit! I guess non-japanese anime fans have IQ problems.
People watch anime for different reasons. SOme for fun, some fore gore, some action and many more. Why do we watch anime? For entertaining ourselves. What's your problem with people who watch it for light moments especially when your own life can be shit? IT'S NOT LIKE ONLY BEING A PSYCHOLOGICAL ANIME MAKES YOU GREAT, DEEP, BROADER ETC. EVEN COMEDY CAN BE GREAT, DEEP, BROADER TOO.
BestBoiEren said:
all lists are equally filled with trash in top10 (bnha, monogatari, gintama, 3gatsu)
You don't like it so other people's tastes are trash?
YossaRedMage said:
R is Reddit. M is MAL. A is Anilist. P is AnimePlanet.

Good taste wins points.

(For those tragically lacking in a sense of humor I should say this is a joke. I don't necessarily think there is an objective 'good taste'. I'm applying everything I think is important to form a taste that I respect, in a tongue-in-cheek way.)

How overrated is Your Name? (normie test)
R3 M1 A2 P0

How respected is Clannad: After Story? (soul test)
R1 M3 A2 P0

How resepected is Monogatari? (fan service tolerance test)
R2 M1 A3 P0

How overrated are MP100 / OPM? (sakugatard test)
R1 M3 A2 P0

How respected is Fate? (otaku culture appreciation test)
R3 M1 A2 P0

How overrated is The Promised Neverland? (recency bias test)
R3 M1 A2 P0

How overrated is GTO? (reverse recency bias test)
R3 M0 A1 P2

I wanted to do an anti-moe / anti-CGDCT bias test too but didn't know the best way to go about it and this already took too long.

Final scores:

Reddit=16
MAL=10
AniList=14
AnimePlanet=2

Surprised Reddit won tbh... I can't stand the community on there with all the normies that flood in from other boards. Can't discuss a show with a good sexy anime girl - espcially if they even approach loli territory - without some asshole with a retarded borrowed moral framework they absorbed from being a such a fucking sheep trying to ruin everyones fun.

But it was still cose... for the most part lol. My big takeaway form this is that AnimePlanet is pure cancer and if I ever get the kind of resources necessary to purge it from the internet I won't hesitate.
What's that?
Ferien said:
I prefer Ranker.

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/best-anime-series-all-time

A much more accurate representation of mainstream audiences that recognise that the purpose of the anime media is just to provide entertainment, with over 500k voters and almost 5m total votes.

The worst is by far Anidb, a site that looks like founded by Thatanimesnob or something.
LOL, I guess their number of users are pretty less.
Lavah said:
ComboSmooth said:

Nobody complains about individual seasons being on a list unless it's attack on titan. As if it's done a crime by getting high score.
Or Gintama for real actual seasons. Aot is advanced in that which is part of a season lol but yeah anyway Aots3p2 is a sequel to Aots3. So, it should treated as any other sequel.
FriesVanquisher said:
alcidescouto1956 said:

SNK took inspiration from Muv Luv Alternative. I bet most of SNK fans didn't know it lol
SNK actually took inspiration from Doraemon.
alcidescouto1956 said:
Sphinxter said:

No it's Doraemon. A secret inspiration.
Shayon said:
they're all bad

Blame the kids or teens etc for liking it. You should have a deal with site administrator to ban bnha to get into top lists.
JFuji said:
Mal and anilist don't really have anything outlandish. I would say those make appropriate rankings.

Reddit looks like it's just missing Ergo Proxy, Kino's Journey, and Angel's Egg to complete what their going for.

Anime-Planet is a joke. I like Haikyuu and My Hero Academia but top 10? Nah... It especially lost all credibility when it put I wanna Eat your Pancreas that high
I guess Anime-planet have different kinda audience just like anidb.
-Aincrad- said:

On AnimePlanet, My hero academia, My F*CKING hero academia, what is more, 2 seasons of it are higher rated than Steins;Gate

One season has even higher rating than Hunter x Hunter

What kind of joke is that?

Don't get me wrong, My hero academia is not a bad anime and I liked all season of it so far, but it's nothing like HxH or Steins;Gate
I really wonder how different kind of audience is there on Anime-planet.
Battler- said:
Shayon said:
they're all bad

And Promised Neverland in top 20. Seasonal hype is pretty strong there apparently.
I think so. Let them enjoy their seasonal anime.
puneetsinghMar 25, 2020 8:40 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Mar 25, 2020 2:48 AM
Mar 25, 2020 2:58 AM

Oct 2013
They all equally suck. Where's that option in the poll?
Apr 13, 2020 6:55 PM
Aug 2019
dc22 said:
They all equally suck. Where's that option in the poll?
do not care, majority of humanity are stupid. Only %1 gave us civilization, so do not trust any democratic/equal votings/rankings.
Apr 24, 2020 12:29 PM
May 2019
I like MAL more but it should more a bit friendly it can add comment box for every anime and manga down . Also make a feed community for users like us .

I don't know why I like MAL but now I think if I have to just only track my list then I can use IMDb like before I don't need MAL and for manga tracking I can use anime-planet ( because webtoon and webcomic comic are not even listen here . )
Seriously I don't know what to do ?
Apr 24, 2020 12:39 PM

Oct 2018
I have found that each anime site, has it's own unique following, demographic, and favorites.
I've seen sites where D.Gray Man is the end-all-be-all for best anime ever, and here it is ranked #442, lol.
Don't take any of these sites seriously. They weren't ranked by me, and therefor, none of them can be correct.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 24, 2020 12:45 PM

Oct 2016
Those aren't that different from each other, my vote goes to anidb.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

14 by Ohayotaku »»
3 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 2 hours ago

17 by Yorda_trico »»
6 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

970 by Dragonrogue »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think you could fall in love with a fairy?

Shizuna - 10 hours ago

38 by LostSpectre »»
18 minutes ago

» What is your most re-watched anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 hours ago

47 by bubba460z »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.