Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 3, 2019 7:21 AM
Jul 2018
People complain that rap today has too much emphasis on drugs, and jewelry...when 90s rappers like 2pac were rapping about drugs, and Jay Z was rapping about jewelry.

90s rap can be categorized into 3 topics:

A) Basic socially conscious messages (2pac)
B) Killing people (Mobb Deep)
C) Trashing talking/bragging (Nas)

Modern rappers like NF, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, Denzel Curry, have far more emphasis on fascinating, introspective rap. Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole provide deeper messages than rappers in the 90s like 2pac. Even Mike Shinoda's raps have more substance than 90s rap. I was also told in the thread I made, "Why is socially conscious rap basic?" that underground socially conscious rap is more complex.

Musically, rap today is far more diverse than before: there's still boom bap, but now there's also trap rap.

Therefore, I think rap today is far more intelligent than 90s rap.

What are your thoughts?
Jul 3, 2019 7:30 AM

Apr 2015
People who like 90s music more than current music, of any genre, are wrong. Sample the top 10 albums from any genre of last year, and the top 10 albums of any year in the 90s from the same genre, and the ones from last year will be better. It's not subjective. People who say this are overdosing on nostalgia, are viewing older music through rose-coloured lenses, missing their glory days, and/or are pseudo elitists who don't understand music.

in summary: stfu boomers
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jul 3, 2019 10:31 AM
Jul 2018
Cookies said:
People who like 90s music more than current music, of any genre, are wrong.

you must not listen to/know much about metal

Jul 3, 2019 10:38 AM
May 2019
I'am more of a old-school rap fangirl.
I think that modern rap has to much mumble rappers which I am not a fan of.
Also lyrics tend to be better as well.
And lastly the amount of good rappers/songs is exponentially higher in the old-school then in the new-school rap in my opinion.

Old School Rap Vs. New School Rap

Jul 3, 2019 10:50 AM

Feb 2016
Xstasy said:
I'am more of a old-school rap fangirl.
I think that modern rap has to much mumble rappers which I am not a fan of.
Also lyrics tend to be better as well.
And lastly the amount of good rappers/songs is exponentially higher in the old-school then in the new-school rap in my opinion.

For ever decent rapper in this day in age, there's 100 shitty ones. Old school rappers are cut from a completely different cloth than most of these new school bois.

Back in the day the soundcloud rappers still existed. They just didn't have a way of blowing up like they do now. So we didn't have to hear all the shitty rap that was out there (thank kami)
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 3, 2019 11:02 AM

Feb 2018
Better sound. It's "of an era" that speaks to me as a person of a certain age. Lyrical themes aren't relevant to this.
Jul 3, 2019 11:09 AM
Jul 2018
casual_filth said:
Better sound. It's "of an era" that speaks to me as a person of a certain age. Lyrical themes aren't relevant to this.

But there is rap today that sounds just like 90s rap too.
Jul 3, 2019 11:22 AM

Feb 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
casual_filth said:

But there is rap today that sounds just like 90s rap too.

Derivative and/or ironic pastiche doesn't really have the same appeal. I don't think I've even heard any contemporary rap/hip-hop like what you're describing, though, honestly. I mean, what era/style are we discussing? I don't hear much authentic, classically-styled G-funk coming out these days.
Jul 3, 2019 5:16 PM

Apr 2013
The only genre where you can say the 90s was the best time for it was for stuff like OG Emo music and all its subgenres (even tho Screamo has been doing well for itself despite being mistaken by Mallcore and stuff in the 2000s) but in the case of hip hop the underground has always been good but the 2010s has been the peak of it imo. It's one of the genres that is polarizing this decade due to how terrible the mainstream stuff can be while how great the underground/some mainstream hip hop can be.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jul 3, 2019 6:38 PM

Feb 2018
Its isnt, newschool all the way. Hiphop as a genre never had more diversity than it has today and also the production today is a lot better. Im sick of the 90s beats, they just sound so "weak" compared to todays shit. The mainstream and underground guys are fire just have to avoid the meme artists thats it
Jul 3, 2019 6:50 PM

Sep 2018
Because old rappers were lyrically more talented and just sound better. I don't listen to rap that much, but when I do it's the old rappers.
Jul 3, 2019 8:04 PM

Apr 2015
RavaZa said:
Cookies said:
People who like 90s music more than current music, of any genre, are wrong. Sample the top 10 albums from any genre of last year, and the top 10 albums of any year in the 90s from the same genre, and the ones from last year will be better. It's not subjective. People who say this are overdosing on nostalgia, are viewing older music through rose-coloured lenses, missing their glory days, and/or are pseudo elitists who don't understand music.

people have the right to listen to whatever they want
This is right.
there is no "right" and "wrong".
This is wrong.
It's very subjective.
This is wrong.
everything has the right to listen to whatever they want.
This is right.
And it's not your nor mine job to judge them for that.
This is right.
OP at least asked it in more polite way. Still, even tho I hate it, that doesn't mean I'll go crying on forums how it sucks. After all, It's not like all of them suck, there are rappers that I respect, and not all fans are d*ckheads either, there are some nice ones too. It's just, as I said earlier, sad. It's sad that people can't respect other people's opinions these days.
You can listen to whatever you like, I don't care, but if you think older music more than new music you are wrong, that's just a fact, there is nothing to argue. I'm not here to bullshit on people's opinions, I am just here to state the facts. FYI: I am not a fan of any rap.

hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Jul 3, 2019 8:11 PM

Apr 2015
RavaZa said:
aight, glad that's been solved then :P
And I wasn't upset, but I can see why u thought I was :D
no worries brochacho enjoy listening to whatever you like have a good one
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Jul 3, 2019 9:10 PM
Jul 2018
@RavaZa

How as 2pac on, "a whole other level"? Aside from his fantastic voice, and a few emotional songs, in many peoples' opinions, including mine, 2pac was a mediocre rapper: he lacked wordplay (playing with words so there's more meaning to it), double entendres, wasn't particularly known for punchlines.

Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole rarely talk about killing people. When Kendrick does talk about killing people, he more often than not, does it in a way where he doesn't glorify it. 2pac would have one song where he's being socially conscious, than he'd have at least 5 more songs where he's talking about killing people.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
The only genre where you can say the 90s was the best time for it was for stuff like OG Emo music and all its subgenres (even tho Screamo has been doing well for itself despite being mistaken by Mallcore and stuff in the 2000s) but in the case of hip hop the underground has always been good but the 2010s has been the peak of it imo. It's one of the genres that is polarizing this decade due to how terrible the mainstream stuff can be while how great the underground/some mainstream hip hop can be.

Aside from maybe 2pac, I don't think emo music even existed in the 90s.

@Xstasy

Why do you think that lyrics from the 90s are better than lyrical rappers today?
Jul 3, 2019 9:18 PM

Mar 2011
No wonder you dislike it if thats all you hear when you listen to the songs eh; Happy I know more than 3 categories of 'rap' from that decade. Or atleast know the nuances.

CowboyMode said:
Cookies said:
People who like 90s music more than current music, of any genre, are wrong.

you must not listen to/know much about metal

They don't know much about harmonics and sound in general from that comment
SilverstormJul 3, 2019 9:22 PM
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Jul 3, 2019 9:44 PM

Feb 2019
Current mainstream rap is like 2005 folk emo meets Wyclef Jean, as performed by a 90's rapper's underfed autistic meme-loving nephew
Jul 3, 2019 10:01 PM
Jul 2018
Silverstorm said:
No wonder you dislike it if thats all you hear when you listen to the songs eh; Happy I know more than 3 categories of 'rap' from that decade. Or atleast know the nuances.

I never said I disliked 90s rap.
What are the other categories? And what are the other nuances?
Jul 3, 2019 11:05 PM

Aug 2016
I don't think it is. Though this era is a really mixed bag. So much auto tune garbage that comes out I can see why people might get the wrong idea and think its trash.
Jul 4, 2019 2:23 AM

Apr 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
@RavaZa

How as 2pac on, "a whole other level"? Aside from his fantastic voice, and a few emotional songs, in many peoples' opinions, including mine, 2pac was a mediocre rapper: he lacked wordplay (playing with words so there's more meaning to it), double entendres, wasn't particularly known for punchlines.

Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole rarely talk about killing people. When Kendrick does talk about killing people, he more often than not, does it in a way where he doesn't glorify it. 2pac would have one song where he's being socially conscious, than he'd have at least 5 more songs where he's talking about killing people.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:

@Xstasy

Why do you think that lyrics from the 90s are better than lyrical rappers today?

Yeah tell the music fag of MAL that Emo didn't exist in the 90s

smh, it technically existed since the 80s boi but anyways this thread was about hip hop anyways so whatever, I shared my knowledge of facts
Aidoru-OjisanJul 4, 2019 2:26 AM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jul 4, 2019 7:14 AM
Jul 2018
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
HopefulNihilist said:
@RavaZa

@Xstasy

smh, it technically existed since the 80s boi but anyways this thread was about hip hop anyways so whatever, I shared my knowledge of facts

But those are bands, right? Are they not hip hop?
Jul 4, 2019 9:24 AM

Apr 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

No no just wanted to correct your statement on how you said "I don't think emo music even existed in the 90s." lol

Ascended Taste
Jul 4, 2019 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
HopefulNihilist said:

No no just wanted to correct your statement on how you said "I don't think emo music even existed in the 90s." lol

Oh, my bad: I meant to say, "emo rap music didn't exist in the 90s".
Jul 4, 2019 9:32 AM

Apr 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

Oh, my bad: I meant to say, "emo rap music didn't exist in the 90s".

oh ic ic, emo rap didn't become a thing till cloud rap became more mainstream which is like 2010s. Emo Hip Hop is still not so as mainstream unless we're talking about XXX, Lil Peep, or Lil Uzi Vert's most popular songs now of days, wasn't a thing in the 90s or 2000s either meanwhile Cloud Rap showed up pretty early like early 2000s but 2000s was the start of hip hop branching out a lot more.

Ascended Taste
Jul 5, 2019 12:07 AM

Mar 2011
HopefulNihilist said:
Silverstorm said:

I never said I disliked 90s rap.
What are the other categories? And what are the other nuances?
Sorry, made the presumption based off the list (killing, conscience, bragging), my apologies.

There are alot more than those some dealing with killing or those dealing with death (P. Diddy, ThugnBones) that would be both socially conscious of loss and existence and what lies after. Narrative rap is not even considered here (eg. Tha Alkaholiks, Will Smith, etc) which told a story of daily life/situations that large groups of people (beyond race/ethnicity/status/p.value) were able to relate to. Women MCs and groups were the newest feature and told a story or perspective that was new (eg. Lil Ki, Queen Latifah, Left Eye). What makes these songs different than current though is mainly the current uses a similar method of selling; look at how Lil Kim marketed herself as her career rose to Minaj--parallels were made of Gaga and Madonna until recently so not a feature to only rap. So nothing about the releases are "fresh" for those who were around and the people influenced by them. Even the combination of country/rap, rock/rap isn't new (eg. Nelly, Jay Z, Run DMC). The artists were creative (maybe not geniuses to me, cause they relied on samples for a large amount of time, still artistic) cause the songs and themes were new, the way it was sold was new and what they had to say progressed. The categories, I get you made out of convenience but it should have more genres and subgenres.

Today there are good lyricist (eg. Lamar, kendrick, Nipsey) that talk alot of socially conscious things but none of it is new if you listened to Tupac and other West Coast rappers (not to say the other regions didn't have similar artists). Most of the ones I named there even used majority beats from those 90s artist as samples (eg. Can I holla at you, Cole/Fugees) in there mixtapes to get to where they are. You also had material-existential "the dream" rappers (eg. Biggie, Nas or Too Short) that Lil Wayne could compete or beat in most instances. Currently many of the beats are the same, the lyrics are generic, and there is a higher use of the metaphor form. Not saying today's rap sucks, though there is so much of it that it makes in absolute terms, alot of sucky songs as well.
But you notice most of the names from the list are those at the top of the "rap game" currently. I didn't name the seemingly countless 'Lils' that can put their work out. We can talk about Hip-Hop, current producer influence and beat flooding in the market making the songs now all seem alike (from the same sources is why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9OiMYkeHRo) later.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Jul 5, 2019 12:44 AM

Feb 2010
does this count as 90s rap or is it to late into the 2000s?

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 5, 2019 3:59 AM

Jul 2015
Cookies said:

That has to be one of the dumbest things Deathko ever read here. It's a stance that is even less credible with music than cartoons. Go away with your rose-tinted newfaggotry lenses I guess?

Oh, have a bonus question: Are people who listen to and enjoy classical music 300 years old?
Jul 5, 2019 4:16 AM

Apr 2015
Deathko said:
Cookies said:

That has to be one of the dumbest things Deathko ever read here. It's a stance that is even less credible with music than cartoons. Go away with your rose-tinted newfaggotry lenses I guess?

Oh, have a bonus question: Are people who listen to and enjoy classical music 300 years old?
I am sorry if I upset you. Sadly I don't have opinions, I can only state facts.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Jul 5, 2019 4:19 AM

Jul 2015
Cookies said:
Deathko said:

No, you can only talk for and make a fool of yourself. The only fact here is that you have no argument whatsoever and are just talking out of your ass.
Jul 5, 2019 4:27 AM

Apr 2015
Deathko said:
Cookies said:
No, you can only talk for and make a fool of yourself. The only fact here is that you have no argument whatsoever and are just talking out of your ass.
Disagreeing with what I say is not an option. I am only stating facts. You are open to enjoy any type of music you like, even if it is bad and even if it is good. If you prefer older music I am happy for you, it is great to be able to enjoy music :-)
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Jul 5, 2019 4:36 AM

Jul 2015
Cookies said:
Deathko said:
Disagreeing with what I say is not an option. I am only stating facts. You are open to enjoy any type of music you like, even if it is bad and even if it is good. If you prefer older music I am happy for you, it is great to be able to enjoy music :-)

Lol yeah, you can stick your head in the sand like an ostrich to avoid having to back up your stupid claims, if that makes you feel better. Like a 6 yo cheating at tag, I guess.
You should grow up, look up the definitions of opinions and facts, and learn to face reality.
Jul 5, 2019 5:02 AM

Apr 2015
Deathko said:
Cookies said:
Lol yeah, you can stick your head in the sand like an ostrich to avoid having to back up your stupid claims, if that makes you feel better. Like a 6 yo cheating at tag, I guess.
You should grow up, look up the definitions of opinions and facts, and learn to face reality.
You can disregard what I've said if you don't like it. It may be fact but you don't have to acknowledge it if you don't want to. Ultimately, what I have to say doesn't affect you and you should enjoy listening to whatever music you like the most! :-)
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Jul 5, 2019 5:54 AM

Apr 2013
Cookies said:

"Sample the top 10 albums from any genre of last year, and the top 10 albums of any year in the 90s from the same genre"

I would have not reacted like this if you just said hip hop and not any genre, ah my patrician knowledge got a good laugh at this sentence, thanks Zoomer.

Ascended Taste
Jul 5, 2019 6:29 AM

Apr 2015
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
Cookies said:

"Sample the top 10 albums from any genre of last year, and the top 10 albums of any year in the 90s from the same genre"

I would have not reacted like this if you just said hip hop and not any genre, ah my patrician knowledge got a good laugh at this sentence, thanks Zoomer.
I am sorry if you can't understand the truth. I don't have an opinion of my own I can only state facts and speak the truth. You are free to have an opinion that is not the truth and I am glad you can enjoy older music :-)
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Jul 5, 2019 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
Silverstorm said:

There are alot more than those some dealing with killing or those dealing with death (P. Diddy, ThugnBones) that would be both socially conscious of loss and existence and what lies after. Narrative rap is not even considered here (eg. Tha Alkaholiks, Will Smith, etc) which told a story of daily life/situations that large groups of people (beyond race/ethnicity/status/p.value) were able to relate to. Women MCs and groups were the newest feature and told a story or perspective that was new (eg. Lil Ki, Queen Latifah, Left Eye). What makes these songs different than current though is mainly the current uses a similar method of selling; look at how Lil Kim marketed herself as her career rose to Minaj--parallels were made of Gaga and Madonna until recently so not a feature to only rap. So nothing about the releases are "fresh" for those who were around and the people influenced by them. Even the combination of country/rap, rock/rap isn't new (eg. Nelly, Jay Z, Run DMC). The artists were creative (maybe not geniuses to me, cause they relied on samples for a large amount of time, still artistic) cause the songs and themes were new, the way it was sold was new and what they had to say progressed. The categories, I get you made out of convenience but it should have more genres and subgenres.

Wow. I had no idea. It seems as though once again, I scratched the bare surface of rap. Alright, I'll listen to those rappers.

Silverstorm said:
Today there are good lyricist (eg. Lamar, kendrick, Nipsey) that talk alot of socially conscious things but none of it is new if you listened to Tupac and other West Coast rappers (not to say the other regions didn't have similar artists).

True, but I feel as though compared to the socially conscious rap I've listened to from the 90s, especially 2pac, Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole are far more intelligent. Whenever I listen to 2pac, and he brings up a social issue, I think, "No shit". But Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole bring up social issues that I think are more complex ("Photograph" deals with how people fall in love on social media through photographs of people, while "The Art Of Peer Pressure" deals with how people are peer pressured into gang activities)
I thought 2pac was the only socially conscious rapper to emerge from the 90s, while all the other old school socially conscious rappers were from the 80s.

Silverstorm said:
Most of the ones I named there even used majority beats from those 90s artist as samples (eg. Can I holla at you, Cole/Fugees) in there mixtapes to get to where they are.

I do know that 90s rap-beats exist today, but I don't understand how that's a bad thing. Because yes, these rappers do use 90s beats, but they also use more modern-sounding beats too.

You also had material-existential "the dream" rappers (eg. Biggie, Nas or Too Short) that Lil Wayne could compete or beat in most instances.

Silverstorm said:
Currently many of the beats are the same, the lyrics are generic,

Are you referring to mumble rap? What you're saying may be true, but in my opinion, the quantity of shitty lyrics don't matter, rather, the quality of them matter. Because there are literally 100s of rappers from the 90s and the modern era. The rappers I've listened to from today (NF, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, Denzel Curry) are more mature and sophisticated and intellectual I jcompared to the rappers I've listened to from the 90s.
I just discovered this list yesterday, "Top 10 intellectual rappers".
https://listverse.com/2011/07/17/top-10-intellectual-rappers/
Now, I haven't listened to everyone from the list, only 3 in fact (Andre 3000, Sage Francis, Illogic), but a majority of them are from the modern era. Illogic, a modern rapper, is the most intellectually complex lyricist I have ever heard in rap. He makes Kendrick Lamar's lyrics look dumb in comparison. I mean just look at some of these lyrics, from his song, "What's Your Poison"

"And I’ve watched mothers look for fathers at the bottom of shot glasses"
"While I look to leave my footprints on the surface of the sun"
"There’s a fine line between a smile and a cry
And I’ve walked that fine line blind too many times"
"Stargazing and having private talks with the moon"

This is what I want to hear more from rap: actual poetry. Lyrics that are more subtle, thought provoking (as in, you have to think harder to understand what they're saying), metaphorical, with advanced vocabulary, and just overall poetic.
Do you know any 90s rappers who rap like this?

Silverstorm said:
and there is a higher use of the metaphor form.

I'm confused what you mean here.

Silverstorm said:
Not saying today's rap sucks, though there is so much of it that it makes in absolute terms, alot of sucky songs as well.
But you notice most of the names from the list are those at the top of the "rap game" currently. I didn't name the seemingly countless 'Lils' that can put their work out. We can talk about Hip-Hop, current producer influence and beat flooding in the market making the songs now all seem alike (from the same sources is why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9OiMYkeHRo) later.

I'll watch the video later. Again though, I agree that all the Lil's suck. Hell, maybe if I listened to enough, I'd find that 90s rap has more good songs than modern rap. But again, modern rap has such incredible songs that resonate with me more intellectually and emotionally, than 90s rap.

My problem with 90s rap (at least what I've listened to), is aside from 2pac, 90s rap just doesn't feel personnel the way modern rap. Modern rappers like Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, Denzel Curry, and especially NF are so personnel with their lyrics that it sticks with me.
Jul 5, 2019 8:09 AM

Apr 2013
Cookies said:
Aidoru-Ojisan said:

I am sorry if you can't understand the truth. I don't have an opinion of my own I can only state facts and speak the truth. You are free to have an opinion that is not the truth and I am glad you can enjoy older music :-)

"I am sorry if you can't understand the truth. I don't have an opinion of my own I can only state facts and speak the truth."

Do you seriously want to state something like this to someone who dedicated their life to discovering music of all ages? Ah if this is how you defend your obvious opinion this is the biggest troll post I have seen on MAL's music forums and it makes me sad to see that plebs can make claims like this kek! Alright let me school you Zoomer and show you how laughable your "facts" and "truth" are

I can only really say the 90s were the final days of Alternative Generation X Rock/Metal before the 2000s brought upon the rise of good looking frontmen Rock bands meant to appeal to teenage girls and hot topic teenager customers yet as the years passed Rock on the radio died out to give rise to Electro/Dance Pop, EDM, and modern Hip Hop to take over. Rock still exists ofc, underground keeping genres alive hurr durr but to focus on your claim, let's sample the top 10 Rock albums of 2018 to 1998

1. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (Ranked: #10 overall on RYM)
2. Death - The Sound of Perseverance (#363 overall)
3. Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come: A Chimerical Bombination in 12 Bursts (#497 overall)
4. Gorguts - Obscura (#534 overall)
5. Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse (#604 overall)
6. Duster - Stratosphere (#666 overall)
7. Tortoise - TNT (#1,029 overall)
8. Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding (#1,077 overall)
9. Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth (#1,142 overall)
10. Pulp - This Is Hardcore (#1,246 overall)

1. Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want (Ranked: #330 overall on RYM)
2. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy (#553 overall)
3. Beach House - 7 (#1,427 overall)
4. Parquet Courts - Wide Awaaaaake! (#1,779 overall)
5. IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance. (#1,952 overall)
6. Tropical Fuck Storm - A Laughing Death in Meatspace (#4,211 overall)
7. Sleep - The Sciences (#4,864 overall)
8. Haru Nemuri - Haru to Shura (#5,274 overall)
9. Low - Double Negative (#5,387 overall)
10. Chapel Of Disease - ...And as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye (#5,387 overall)

"Ohhhhh but Daughters and Car Seat Headrest are pretty high ranked" yeah I get it, 2018 had some great Rock records (even tho Daughters album was just a 7 for me, mostly Anthony Fantano's review gave it the clout it has today on RYM cause his sheep are mostly the population on the site kek) but aside from that I am just trying to show you facts to refute your claim of

"Sample the top 10 albums from any genre of last year, and the top 10 albums of any year in the 90s from the same genre, and the ones from last year will be better. It's not subjective""

Well from these rankings I have shown you made from the ratings of more than a 1000 folks shows you that it is subjective, it is subjective and not fact that I give Daughters' record a 7 and not a 10, this being the same case with Aeroplane Over The Sea (giving it a light 8 and not a 10) despite their ranking. Yet my opinion is only 1 in the 1000s who have decided that these records I have listed from 1998/2018 have proven that your claim is incorrect, Rock records from 1998 are more highly rated and ranked than the records from 2018. And your whole Nostalgia shit claim, lol let me tell you a lot of these people who have rated are young adults who are only following what their pseudo-intellectual music fan friends tell them what is good and have no nostalgic connection to most of these records from 1998 LOL. Now dear Zoomer, as a non-pseudo music elitist and the real deal which means I don't mind being an asshole when it comes down to plebs making stupid claims like yours and stating them as fact, I suggest you look a bit more into music before stating them as fact :>

Ascended Taste
Jul 5, 2019 8:42 AM

Jul 2015
But the video clips have bigger budgets nowadays, modern MTV music is objectively better, you dumb boomer *insert random millenial meme*
Jul 5, 2019 9:41 AM
Jul 2018
@Aidoru-Ojisan

It's not worth arguing with @Cookies, not when they can't tell the difference between an opinion and fact. I swear, the music community is the most cancerous community I have ever seen. A few looks at Genius threads proves that.
Jul 5, 2019 6:00 PM

Apr 2013
@HopefulNihilist maybe you're right about the music community being the most cancerous behind the Sports and Gamer ones... honestly I've started to notice how bad it can be seeing the comment boxes for the top rated records from this year on RYM and how people are saying that one Youtuber's opinion can influence the whole ranking and flaming each other if they think it is bad based on personal opinion. Which I can agree to the fact that Melon's (Anthony Fantano's) reviews/opinions do hold a lot of power over how people will feel about a record and stuff compared to the amount of influence an AniTuber will have. Gigguk and TheAnimeMan don't have as much influence as Melon and there's proof that when Melon gives a high ranking album from this year or the current year a bad review that it will drop, and then both his sheep and the people that gave it a low score will lash with each other. It's funny but your point is proven cause that is not the only toxic aspect of the music community, knowing that sub-genres and whole genres carry their own breed of elitist and stan culture which can be cancerous af and seep into other mediums as you can see with the K-Pop stan community. Anyways end of rant but wanted to prove your point lol, sad how my fave medium can be this toxic.

Ascended Taste
Jul 7, 2019 3:25 AM

May 2009
It's that the old heads only focus on the nagativity to validate their fragile ego that things were better in the 90's.
Jul 7, 2019 3:00 PM
Aug 2018
Better beats, better lyrics.
Jul 7, 2019 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
Kiosho said:

Beats today are more diverse.
Lyrically, I can name rappers from this era (2000-today) that are more intelligent than most rappers in the 90s (Jay Z, Big L, 2pac, Biggie) I've listened to:

Denzel Curry
J. Cole
Sage Francis
Kendrick Lamar
Jul 8, 2019 1:00 AM

Feb 2016
HopefulNihilist said:
Kiosho said:

Lyrically, I can name rappers from this era (2000-today) that are more intelligent than most rappers in the 90s (Jay Z, Big L, 2pac, Biggie) I've listened to:

Denzel Curry
J. Cole
Sage Francis
Kendrick Lamar
Idk how you can say those 4 guys are more intelligent than Jay Z when he literally crafts the rhymes in his head and then records straight from memory the only one who could give a run for his money is JCole. JayZ also a billionaire guy
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 8, 2019 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
PantsuSenseiUwU said:
HopefulNihilist said:

Denzel Curry
J. Cole
Sage Francis
Kendrick Lamar
Idk how you can say those 4 guys are more intelligent than Jay Z when he literally crafts the rhymes in his head and then records straight from memory the only one who could give a run for his money is JCole. JayZ also a billionaire guy

I don't know much about Jay Z post 1999-present, but 90s Jay Z? I don't care for. Why does it matter how well you can craft rhymes in your head, if what you're saying is boring? I don't understand how most people find Jay Z to be an interesting rapper, when 90% of the time, it seems all he talks about, is money and women.
Jul 8, 2019 10:27 AM

Jul 2014
Listening to hip hop for "socially conscious" lyrics is cringe. I prefer more 90s rap, the stuff coming out of Memphis in the 90s is my favorite. There are definelty some good rappers today, Denzel is the only one you listed that I really like though. J Cole is garbo.
MurauJul 8, 2019 10:34 AM
Jul 8, 2019 11:59 AM

Jan 2019
More recent rap it alot better than than the try-hard-to-be-legit posers of the 90's. Here is a more recent MV that is in touch with that street reality. Boyz be keeping in real.

Jul 8, 2019 2:05 PM
Jul 2012
Cookies said:
RavaZa said:
people have the right to listen to whatever they want
This is right.
there is no "right" and "wrong".
This is wrong.
It's very subjective.
This is wrong.
everything has the right to listen to whatever they want.
This is right.
And it's not your nor mine job to judge them for that.
This is right.
OP at least asked it in more polite way. Still, even tho I hate it, that doesn't mean I'll go crying on forums how it sucks. After all, It's not like all of them suck, there are rappers that I respect, and not all fans are d*ckheads either, there are some nice ones too. It's just, as I said earlier, sad. It's sad that people can't respect other people's opinions these days.
You can listen to whatever you like, I don't care, but if you think older music more than new music you are wrong, that's just a fact, there is nothing to argue. I'm not here to bullshit on people's opinions, I am just here to state the facts. FYI: I am not a fan of any rap.

lol this fuckin guy
Jul 8, 2019 2:05 PM
Jul 2012
You're a big weenie.
Jul 8, 2019 4:45 PM

Feb 2016
HopefulNihilist said:
PantsuSenseiUwU said:

I don't know much about Jay Z post 1999-present, but 90s Jay Z? I don't care for. Why does it matter how well you can craft rhymes in your head, if what you're saying is boring? I don't understand how most people find Jay Z to be an interesting rapper, when 90% of the time, it seems all he talks about, is money and women.
guess all comes down to perspective and taste. 2000s babys and 90s babys are so different lol (you're 99 but you're a 2000s baby for sure)
Murau said:
Listening to hip hop for "socially conscious" lyrics is cringe. I prefer more 90s rap, the stuff coming out of Memphis in the 90s is my favorite. There are definelty some good rappers today, Denzel is the only one you listed that I really like though. J Cole is garbo.
I agree with everything you said The cringe, the 90s rap being better, liking denzel but man Jcole I fuck with even though I mostly listen to old school shit.
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 8, 2019 11:22 PM
Feb 2014
I have no preference. There's good rap and there's shit rap from all periods of time. Having all of MF Doom, Kanye West, and Kendrick Lamar in this world is a wonderful thing.

Cookies said:

It's OK to pretend to be retarded on the Internet. Go back to /mu/

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7576 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
52 minutes ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
1 hour ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 AM

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Apr 23, 9:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.