Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Kanata no Astra Episode 1 Discussion


#1
Jul 3, 5:24 AM

Online
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 113409
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting start....it has a movie frame like style with the episode presentation so I think it kinda felt like a mini-movie.

We got introduction of the main characters from the first episode so far. (quite a bit of characters introduced in fact) Aries is a cutie though. Surprisingly catchy music used for this episode. I was not expecting it but I find this episode rather interesting and it makes a nice impression with its themes. The movie-like cinematics also enhanced the experience.
Modified by Stark700, Jul 3, 5:27 AM
 
#2
Jul 3, 7:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 14413
Nice that we start things off with special episode.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed this for what it had to offer. The whole premise of being lost in space and that so far away without any hope of getting rescued is quite intriguing. Things are already pretty tense and I also like the typical shounen elements mainly displayed by Kanata's strength and optimism, which are valuable character traits.

So yeah, great start and surely one of the more promising anime this season.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

 
#3
Jul 3, 8:04 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
I don't see any reason to justify the switch back and forth between 16:9 ratio and 21:9 anamorphic format. Except to save the cost of production.
 
#4
Jul 3, 8:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 4700
You know i had big expectations for this and somehow, this surpassed it.

The friendship theme is fucking amazing, it was always one of my favourite themes in anime (i don't have Little Busters! Refrain in my top 3 for nothing) and this made me teary-eyed already.

Direction seems very good, most of the Gakkou Gurashi! team is on this, loved the atmosphere work on that anime.

The characters are all diverse, i love Aries already, such a genuine airhead.

I rarely ever see this format, i don't know what it's called with the black bars (Grisaia series and Erased had it) but i was always a sucker for that, gives it a movie sort of feeling, big-time feeling.

The characters all have room to grow throughout the series, we got shown the weak parts of some characters already so i expect that to happen since this seems like the kind of situation where you are stranded and have to help each other out.

I'm hella pleased.
 
#5
Jul 3, 8:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 653
Fantastic Job with the Direction, the VA's are perfect, they really bring out the Characters Traits especially those for Zack and Quitterie , man this is going to be so dope if they manage to adapt it fully.


Smudy said:
You know i had big expectations for this and somehow, this surpassed it.

The friendship theme is fucking amazing, it was always one of my favourite themes in anime (i don't have Little Busters! Refrain in my top 3 for nothing) and this made me teary-eyed already.

Direction seems very good, most of the Gakkou Gurashi! team is on this, loved the atmosphere work on that anime.

The characters are all diverse, i love Aries already, such a genuine airhead.

I rarely ever see this format, i don't know what it's called with the black bars (Grisaia series and Erased had it) but i was always a sucker for that, gives it a movie sort of feeling, big-time feeling.

The characters all have room to grow throughout the series, we got shown the weak parts of some characters already so i expect that to happen since this seems like the kind of situation where you are stranded and have to help each other out.

I'm hella pleased.


you have seen nothing, you will love it, just want to fuel your excitement xD
You son of a .. turtle

 
#6
Jul 3, 8:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 69
I THOUGHT ARIES best character WAS GONNA DIE FOR A SECOND I WAS SO SCARED

I loved every second of it. this is such a refreshing anime 11/10 *
 
#7
Jul 3, 8:23 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
Holy shit guys, as a manga reader and someone who loves Kanata no Astra, I was expecting a decent adaptation, but this far surpassed everything I was hoping for.

The direction, animation, art, sound, voice acting, ost, all combined, were able to create just this incredible atmosphere that the majority of anime fail at setting up.

I've never seen anything done by Lerche so I can't speak for their quality in general, but this may be the best first episode of an anime that I've ever seen.
 
#8
Jul 3, 8:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 4700
Nim0174 said:
Fantastic Job with the Direction, the VA's are perfect, they really bring out the Characters Traits especially those for Zack and Quitterie , man this is going to be so dope if they manage to adapt it fully.


Smudy said:
You know i had big expectations for this and somehow, this surpassed it.

The friendship theme is fucking amazing, it was always one of my favourite themes in anime (i don't have Little Busters! Refrain in my top 3 for nothing) and this made me teary-eyed already.

Direction seems very good, most of the Gakkou Gurashi! team is on this, loved the atmosphere work on that anime.

The characters are all diverse, i love Aries already, such a genuine airhead.

I rarely ever see this format, i don't know what it's called with the black bars (Grisaia series and Erased had it) but i was always a sucker for that, gives it a movie sort of feeling, big-time feeling.

The characters all have room to grow throughout the series, we got shown the weak parts of some characters already so i expect that to happen since this seems like the kind of situation where you are stranded and have to help each other out.

I'm hella pleased.


you have seen nothing, you will love it, just want to fuel your excitement xD

How many chapters got adapted, i'm curious.
 
#9
Jul 3, 8:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 114
Woah, I like the premise of this story nicee and the ost sounds good too especially when they were planning to go home by connecting planets with foods and water.

I don't know why 40+ mins eps just turns me on lmao, that was fun.

I might have missed something but why didn't they just use one person to catch Kanata and Aries? Since they have the other end of the rope I'm just baffled why they decided to hold hands and risk everyone's lives instead.



Modified by RaiRye, Jul 3, 8:46 AM
 
Jul 3, 8:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 78
This was amazing. The characters and their antics are already 10/10 in my book and the space-ball-of-doom conspiracy plot seems to be just as interesting. Calling early AOTS here.

 
Jul 3, 8:40 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
Smudy said:
Nim0174 said:
Fantastic Job with the Direction, the VA's are perfect, they really bring out the Characters Traits especially those for Zack and Quitterie , man this is going to be so dope if they manage to adapt it fully.




you have seen nothing, you will love it, just want to fuel your excitement xD

How many chapters got adapted, i'm curious.


Only the first two chapters were adapted!
 
Jul 3, 8:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 17
It'll be legendary. The manga is one of few examples of the space sci-fi without mechs. I'm really looking forward all theese plot twists.
 
Jul 3, 8:48 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
RaiRye said:
Woah, I like the premise of this story nicee and the ost sounds good too especially when they were planning to go home by connecting planets with foods and water.

I don't know why 40+ mins eps just turns me on lmao, that was fun.

I might have missed something but why didn't they just use one person to catch Kanata and Aries? Since they have the other end of the rope I'm just baffled why they decided to hold hands and risk everyone's lives instead.





That hand-holding-chain didn't happen in the manga. In the manga, Kanata was able to reach Aries and they got pulled back in by the rope by everyone else.

I guess they changed the scene for suspense and also to add an additional element of teamwork!
 
Jul 3, 8:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 4557
Oh, I was not ready for the 40+ minute episode lol pretty interesting so far, some characters I liked off the bat, CG is not bad, music is nice, visually appealing, etc. Just what the heck was that white ball of energy that sucked them in and warped them deep into space? I look forward to these space adventurers, so bring on the next episode.
 
Jul 3, 8:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 653
just for reference
@ycleped
@Smudy

yes only two chapters were adapted
but chapter 1 is 70 pages long
the other chapters are around 20-25 pages
You son of a .. turtle

 
Jul 3, 8:56 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 315
Nim0174 said:
just for reference
@ycleped
@Smudy

yes only two chapters were adapted
but chapter 1 is 70 pages long
the other chapters are around 20-25 pages

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Thanks for adding that!
 
Jul 3, 9:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 96
Imagine having 200 iq and doesn't even know how to run sideways.
 
Jul 3, 9:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 105
seem generic so far

despite the effort to using the black bar (and keep switching) the rest of the presentation kind of boring

I hope there won't be that much "What the fuck are you doing/waiting for", there's certainly some in this episode
 
Jul 3, 9:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 1528
While I'm glad the tradition of stranded in space stories is continuing, a show like this is going to be highly dependent on characters and so far they're pretty obnoxious. Not to mention the corniness and the comedy which worked half the time. The planet hopping seems like a cool idea though.
 
Jul 3, 9:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 114
ycleped said:
RaiRye said:
Woah, I like the premise of this story nicee and the ost sounds good too especially when they were planning to go home by connecting planets with foods and water.

I don't know why 40+ mins eps just turns me on lmao, that was fun.

I might have missed something but why didn't they just use one person to catch Kanata and Aries? Since they have the other end of the rope I'm just baffled why they decided to hold hands and risk everyone's lives instead.





That hand-holding-chain didn't happen in the manga. In the manga, Kanata was able to reach Aries and they got pulled back in by the rope by everyone else.

I guess they changed the scene for suspense and also to add an additional element of teamwork!


Ahh thanks for clarifying. Yeah I guess they just wanted to make teamwork the main focus here but honestly I think they can show this with all of them pulling the rope together. To be fair the hand holding chain scene was much more impactful than just pulling a rope lol, I'm guessing that's why they did that.
 
Jul 3, 9:07 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 1069
The moment this premiere episode came out, the opening movie-like visuals struck me greatly, reminds me of how I watched the Grisaia series with dat widescreen view that's super striking.

Plus the fact that mangaka Kenta Shinohara, creator of SKET Dance, wrote this short 5 volume series intrigued me even more, his comical feels definitely brought in more funny moments per se. I was LMAOing all over the place. Shinohara-sensei definitely brought his short A-game here.

As for the characters, Aries definitely appeals an easy-going character, whereas the others have a class-like setting. As for the main male protagonist Kanata, he is the super-positive, outgoing and witty one. Definitely Shounen traits that bring skills onto the table.

And is it bad that through the poster and this episode alone I ship Kanata and Aries? I won't spoil anything from the manga, but let this adaptation take its course.

Additionally, the whole space setting really makes it for some intense moments that only occur when you least expected it. And the 2nd half makes that with its recurring depressing moments, leaving everyone to ponder about the future.

More or less an already perfect adaptation whilst adding in filler (but important) details here and there. Lerche's production values are simply too amazing, no negativeness absolutely.

And JUST 3 days into the Summer season, definitely can already see this as an super early AOTS contender.

What an emotional joyride and an great hour-long investment.
 
Jul 3, 9:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 6026
Not a huge fan of the art here compared to the manga, okay presentation. Voice acting is fine I guess.

Pulling the rope scene worked better in the manga but since one of the show's main theme is bonding/teamwork, guess this changed scene works too here(although not sure why they will do that where they have the rope as the quicker alternative anyway).
 
Jul 3, 9:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 2969
Wow was not expecting it to be that good lol. Comedy was pretty on point and VA enthusiasm was definitely there. Not sure how effective the big cast is gonna play out, could either make or break this series. Then again, anything involving space is cool nonetheless if done right
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'


 
Jul 3, 9:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 317
Very average. Not bad, not amazing, just average. Average cast, average humor that sometimes gets a chuckle out of me and sometimes not. At least that imouto is FUCKING CUTE

Also when are we gonnna see space sex
 
Jul 3, 9:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3956
Terrible. Premise is great but awful, convoluted and cheesy writing paired with cardboard cutouts of characters ruins it completely. I was hoping for Lord of the Flies in Space but it turned out to be a piece of crap floating in vacuum...
Ii tenki desu ne...
 
Jul 3, 9:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 72
I'm actually getting legit death game vibes from the show. It feels a lot like Danganronpa and 999 where a bunch of tropey teenagers are put together in a life-or-death situation probably set up by some bad guy/organization. The space setting though can greatly expand on the usual death game premise by allowing some more interesting survival situations to take place.

That said, I don't like the way the show looks and all the aspect ratio changing. It's unnecessary, doesn't really add anything, and is just kinda annoying. It reminds me of high school where we added black bars to all our film projects because we thought it made everything look cinematic. They did have those effects that went over the letterboxing and also that bit where the letterboxing gave way to the ship in the airport (spaceport?) to emphasize its size, but otherwise, the black bars just feel gimmicky.

And it feels like it's adapting the manga panel-by-panel which leads to stiff and uncreative camerawork. What works best in manga is not necessarily what works best in anime. The dumb comedy panels add nothing.

The character models look kinda ugly a tenth of the time and the backgrounds look real bland.

However, I'm waiting to see how the story takes shape cuz the plot hook did, in fact, get me. I heard from some source readers that this show evolves quite a bit over its run. I can easily see the show falling apart but I can also kinda see it becoming a genuinely great show.
"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

 
Jul 3, 9:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2927
Interesting first episode. It started with a 50 min special.

Traveling through space and between different planets is an interesting idea the characters came up with. With this, they will surely survive. Well, I hope that they do survive.

I like both Aries and Kanata characters so far. Aries is cute.

 
Jul 3, 9:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 367
Enjoyable first episode, Kanata was obnoxious at first but the decent comedy made it bearable. Seems like a good guy helping out Aries with the thief then persevering to save her. Hopefully the repetitive jokes in this episode (like Kanata saying something stupid/obvious then getting criticized) don't last for the whole show. This seems like a mature premise in a show made for a younger audience. Too much plot armor in a show about people trying to survive in deep space would be a recipe for disappointment. I liked the paneling direction, it's similar to Kuzu no Honkai. The black hole that sent them to deep space right next to a fully functioning space ship is a giant coincidence, and the entire plot is predicated on it. They really need to explain it in some way. Mysteries are good, but mystery-bait is annoying. As long as we get good clues along the way, the characters get fleshed out, and the stakes increase, it should be an good time.
 
Jul 3, 9:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
For the people who are complaining about generic characters you just have to wait for a little bit more. I thought the same when i first started to read the manga but later i was invested in every character and the story blew my mind.

 
Jul 3, 10:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 136
Vader_ said:
Imagine having 200 iq and doesn't even know how to run sideways.
To be fair, that thing looks bullshit enough to be sentient and able to turn as well.
I'm more worried about how they forget there is a rope dangling out that can be regrabbed. I don't care about "hey it's showing teamwork", you can't throw logic out of the window for this. You have all the time in the world to show teamwork later.
 
Jul 3, 10:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 653
Beatrice-KF said:
Vader_ said:
Imagine having 200 iq and doesn't even know how to run sideways.
To be fair, that thing looks bullshit enough to be sentient and able to turn as well.
I'm more worried about how they forget there is a rope dangling out that can be regrabbed. I don't care about "hey it's showing teamwork", you can't throw logic out of the window for this. You have all the time in the world to show teamwork later.


yea, that was not in the manga, so they fucked up most likely
i'll ignore it if there is no further logical issues in the future but that bugged me as well.

here is the manga panel of that scene


Modified by Nim0174, Jul 3, 10:20 AM
You son of a .. turtle

 
Jul 3, 10:21 AM

Online
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 1206
The setup was quite alright, the premises were okay-ish. I'm not feeling the characters just yet. It seems like the usual bunch in a survival series, tbh.
 
Jul 3, 10:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 454
This show is such a step down from SKET Dance in terms of comedy. Nonetheless, I really like the plot. Seems like a very promising anime.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, atleast should be sweet........ " - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
 
Jul 3, 10:44 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 2551
Watch me do a sick sign with me hands! Through thorns to the stars!~

Amazing series it seems. Use of (proper) colours, transitions well done, etc etc just a decent start all in all. Ah yes when I cringed a little from the comedy I forgot it's from the Sket Dance creators. Still, he knows how to make a worthwhile story with a perspective and a moral. Definitely looking forward to it but maybe I will just make this (already infallible) title a one-day view after the season... In that case wish everyone a pleasant journey.


Vader_ said:
Imagine having 200 iq and doesn't even know how to run sideways.

Top tier stupid input. But you have to have THIS sort of mindset to come up with it. And not like you are completely wrong Respekt.
Re:formed
 
Jul 3, 10:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 13300
Really like this one, especially the style of animation. Dig the comedy, but I guess I'll need time to properly evaluate the characters because as of now they seem generic and full of tropes.

It reminds me of Lily C.A.T OVA from way long ago, the premise is more or less the same with getting lost in space and the crew figuring out their dire situation, although the difference between characters is quite contrasting.

Overall good start, excited where this anime will head.
 
Jul 3, 10:58 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 156
Seems very promising, I've heard great things about the manga, this will definitely be a favourite of mine.
 
Jul 3, 11:01 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 105
I feel like the jokes didn't mix in with the atmosphere of the show and so they did feel corny at times. Didn't like that change from the manga where they each hold hands to rescue kanata and aries. The rest aspects were really likable imo. This will be an enjoyable watch, at the least.
 
Jul 3, 11:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 2742
Ehh, it's pretty mediocre at first. The characters are generic and so is everything else. The comedy is not doing it for me at all.
 
Jul 3, 11:06 AM

Online
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 2944
Man, this was some intriguing start!

Here’s to hoping it lives up to its potential (which is abundant as of now)! I’ve been missing a Sci-Fi series for a while now so I was looking forward to this ever since its announcement and its great to see that the first episode has managed to win me over! Comedy was on point for the most bit and the music plus the animation style is stunning so hopefully this will keep up throughout the course of the show. I’m really curious about the black mysterious orb and how bloody convenient that a 200 IQ Genius who also happens to have a spaceship license is part of the group. But, that aside, the teamwork this episode, especially during the saving of Kanata and Aries, was exemplary so hopefully this’ll be a lively bunch to look forward to week in and week out!

Definitely intrigued and highly looking forward to more!

One-hour length special first episode was definitely the right choice! Now, here’s to hoping they don’t rush this! I’ve heard 12 episodes is not ideal for the 5 volumes but alas Studio Lerche deemed it appropriate so hopefully it’ll convince us that too by the end of the journey!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni


 
Jul 3, 11:08 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 901
Ok so the first 10 mins were pretty cringy but after that it got really good, the animation and
background sound tracks were also very good. Overall I'm really hyped for future episodes.
 
Jul 3, 11:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 926
Animation is good but why the guy with 200 IQ didn't tought about using the rope they already have to save them instead of puting the life of everyone in danger doing a human rope? Are they trying to tell me something with this? It really bothers me.
 
Jul 3, 11:14 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 901
Vader_ said:
Imagine having 200 iq and doesn't even know how to run sideways.
Naah that wouldn't have mattered because that ball thing ( wormhole I suppose) was moving quite fast. Anyways he should've tried though.
 
Jul 3, 11:15 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 10
First episode, first plothole.

They had an wire. Why they didn't throw the wire again?
 
Jul 3, 11:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 761
Good production value but I do hope it improves to be honest....








 
Jul 3, 11:39 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 2174
This feels a bit like Mujin Wakusei Survive - https://myanimelist.net/anime/709/Mujin_Wakusei_Survive which is partially based on Deux ans de vacances by Jules Verne.
 
Jul 3, 11:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 94
Yeah sure make a human rope instead of re using the wire you found earlier 200 iq genius right there because muh power of friendship.

Pretty meh first impression characters are bland and generic, but i'll keep watching the manga is pretty well received so i'll see how the story develops.

Also not sure what those switches in aspect ratio was about i don't feel like it added somthing if thats what they were going for.
 
Jul 3, 11:49 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2223
Efu said:
Yeah sure make a human rope instead of re using the wire you found earlier 200 iq genius right there because muh power of friendship.

Pretty meh first impression characters are bland and generic, but i'll keep watching the manga is pretty well received so i'll see how the story develops.

Also not sure what those switches in aspect ratio was about i don't feel like it added somthing if thats what they were going for.


@pmso
@shiro_kai


more like a studio fuck up they used the wire in the manga







 
Jul 3, 11:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1569
Despite some tropey characters this was a really strong opening episode. It also shows why we need more space anime with a proper story. Could be the sleeper hit this season.
 
Jul 3, 11:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 926
Mattinator95 said:
Efu said:
Yeah sure make a human rope instead of re using the wire you found earlier 200 iq genius right there because muh power of friendship.

Pretty meh first impression characters are bland and generic, but i'll keep watching the manga is pretty well received so i'll see how the story develops.

Also not sure what those switches in aspect ratio was about i don't feel like it added somthing if thats what they were going for.


@pmso
@shiro_kai


more like a studio fuck up they used the wire in the manga









WTF, they are really desperate to have a "dramatic" moment in the first episode. I can see the direction will not be the best already. It's shame cause the idea sound interesting.
 
Jul 3, 12:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 13389
Oh wow didn’t expect double length

Really really good start, but I was kinda expecting this to be good.
Let’s hope this keeps up to its premise
 
Top
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »