Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 9, 2019 6:17 PM

Apr 2017
Ryougine said:
I don't hate the show itself , I hate the MC, that is probably the most despicable and scumbag character I have ever seen, props to the anime for making me hate a fictional character so much. He only cares about himself, gives no fucks about what other people feel and if they are not of his interest anymore he'll discard them like they're disposable, this made me pissed through the whole thing. Most members of the cast aren't the brightest things as well, there's even a in it, so yeah...Still, I don't regret watching it, the ending was incredibly satisfying, I wanted something like that to happen and the show delivered, so it's cool.

I think the MC being so terrible is the point. I liked to think of it as an anime adaptation not of a VN but of a VN where you pick all the choices that get your rocks off instead of the ones that will be best for the story.
Awoo :3
Aug 19, 2019 1:08 PM
Unko Kyūketsuki!

Sep 2016
ArcFloof said:
Ryougine said:
I don't hate the show itself , I hate the MC, that is probably the most despicable and scumbag character I have ever seen, props to the anime for making me hate a fictional character so much. He only cares about himself, gives no fucks about what other people feel and if they are not of his interest anymore he'll discard them like they're disposable, this made me pissed through the whole thing. Most members of the cast aren't the brightest things as well, there's even a in it, so yeah...Still, I don't regret watching it, the ending was incredibly satisfying, I wanted something like that to happen and the show delivered, so it's cool.

I think the MC being so terrible is the point. I liked to think of it as an anime adaptation not of a VN but of a VN where you pick all the choices that get your rocks off instead of the ones that will be best for the story.

Yeah I think you nailed it. It's natural to have the immediate instinct to detest the MC and drop/hate the show as a result, but I really feel the unique "incite the viewers with awful choices" approach made it an interesting ordeal.

Don't get me wrong, the personalities of the girls were simple to the point where it seemed like they willingly queued up to get taken advantage of, and in a better anime it would've fleshed out characters' interactions and motivations with a more polished sequence of events. Not to mention, the writers were definitely stoking the fire with how the audience would inevitably view Makoto and might've deserved the reaction the show got. But at the end of the day, this was released back in 2007 when expectations were probably very different and their bold decision to take that direction was rewarded with School Days becoming a cult classic.

If anything, it spurred me check out the VN for myself. It's a tad genius actually; Watch the show -> Feel bad -> Want to set things right yourself. The fact that the School Days VN has an official English release also speaks volumes about its popularity!

Conclusion: I liked it, I gave it the benefit of the doubt when after the ending I realised the anime probably accomplished what it intended to do in the first place. If people can enjoy Another, I should be allowed to enjoy School Days ;)
AvelynnAug 19, 2019 1:25 PM
Aspiring Seiyuu Fan~!
Kanako Sakai ○ Compa★Onda Aka
Yuka Iguchi ○ Takayama Maria★Sonoda Yuu★Hoshimiya Yashiro★Yukimura Aoi
Asami Imai ○ Noire★Makise Kurisu★Kiryuu Yuuzuki
Rina Satou ○ Machiko Ryou ★Vert
Eri Kitamura ○ Suzutsuki Kanade★Takanashi Miu★Uni
Ayana Taketatsu ○ Suminoe Ako ★Kousaka Kirino
Aug 19, 2019 1:40 PM

Aug 2009
The schadenfreude from the harem weebs who hated it, and for giving me that specific brand of ridiculousness and absurdity that only anime can offer.

Aug 21, 2019 8:04 AM

Sep 2018
The Characters are dumb and douchebags, far more realistc than almost every romance anime.
Aug 31, 2019 4:51 PM

Feb 2015
I thought it was better than 90% of high school romcom anime because it actually goes somewhere.
Oct 3, 2019 12:11 AM
Oct 2019
I liked it, but not so much. There are holes in the history, the ending is really disapointing.
Anyway, what saves it is the fact that is the most depressive anime I ever saw. No other has made me so sad (even that I hated Kotonoha until the end, she didn't deserved to suffer so much).
Oct 11, 2019 2:43 PM
Apr 2013
This show was, for the most part, utter bullcrap. So yes. It deserves it reputation. The characters only act because the plot demands it for the most part, and are otherwise duller than the paper they are drawn on. The pure IDEA behind the story isn't bad per sé, Kuzu no Honkai (which was also bad) and last seasons Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo (which was actually really good) come to mind. But the story just isn't executed well and just feels forced. Quite honestly, from the moment the opening title screen shatters you could already tell what this anime tries, and how its going to end. Quite honestly, one of the few things I commend the anime on is that it actually pulled through with the ending, which, I hope we all agree on that, Makoto deserved. Other than that, even for 2007 standards, the production values are through the roof, or how is that thing called again where all of us neckbeards live in? Obviously, the art was pretty shitty is what I want to say. Sound department isn't much better, the seiyuu are as robotic, vocaloids would've done a better job, and OST wise this thing's a lost cause as well. Most ending songs were good though.
Tracking back to the OP question. Yes. It absolutely deserves the hate it gets. Because of the cult around it I think it IS actually worth a watch, but quite honestly, EVERY anime is worth watching, and be it for only thinking critically about what you're seeing.
Oct 21, 2019 11:16 PM

May 2011
it amazes me how this anime is going to be considered one of the worst anime in history with that score.

I remember when I enter to MAL the first time circa 2011, this had like a 7 of average after 10 years it is approaching to low average score numbers.
Nov 23, 2019 11:12 PM
Jan 2012
It's been a while since I've actually watched it, but I hated it due to the fact that it's so incapable of keeping your attention outside of the more important moments like the beginning and ending. Yes the ending had that oh so infamous twist, but there were also episodes where absolutely nothing important really happened, or at the very least weren't interesting enough unless you were specifically looking titillation. 12 episodes is already pretty short, but this anime could have been like 6 and still get the main point across just as easily. So much wasted runtime, I get showing the sex scenes made Makoto feel more like a piece of shit but showing all of the sex scenes in their entirety just make it a slog to get through, and it's not like the payoff was THAT great.

What's the point of a good ending if you had to wade through a bunch of crap to get there? The ending is so well known that it's no longer a shock which was the show's main appeal, so the only point of this show is just for the titillation, which if you're about then more power to you, but why even bother with this stripped down hentai when there's actual hentai? I'm sure there are even hentai with better stories than this.
Jan 23, 2020 7:56 PM

Aug 2017
School Days is referenced on almost every other harem or romance anime discussion. I didn't like it when I watched it, but more and more I wish for a School Days ending for many male protagonists.
Jan 23, 2020 8:13 PM

Jan 2010
It's the best harem anime. The ending saved it. /no sarcasm
Feb 1, 2020 12:12 AM

Sep 2016
One of the best anime I've seen. The ending really saved the show. Absolute masterpiece.
Feb 7, 2020 11:40 PM

May 2016
I found it very funny and entertaining. The show did something I wasn’t use to and I loved it
Feb 22, 2020 10:53 AM

May 2016
Didn't watch it but read some of the visual novel. IT was a abomination to man kind. Anyone who rates this a 10 is a troll. All the characters are horrid. But didn't it end with the girl getting revenge or something. at least that is good
Feb 26, 2020 10:05 AM

Nov 2007
This is one of my favorite anime. I love horrible main characters, and I think the main character is the main reason so many people hate school days. I love all girls, especially Katsura. I put myself in the mains position and wonder what I would do. The unexperienced sexual teenagers messing around, trying to figure out what love and sex is, is kinda interesting. The comedy bits were pretty funny too imo.

Maybe I should call this a guilty pleasure but why should I... That would be only because other people say I my taste sucks and the show is bad.

I really enjoy the show and the cast. There are so many harem anime that have the main character being a loser who doesn't get the girl so I really enjoy the opposite. If anyone has reccomondations on anime that knows shows this reverse harem thing I'd love to know.

Somehow it's really hard to explain why I like stuff others don't like and vice versa. For example I dropped FMA brotherhood for multiple reasons but people seem to freak out over it even if I explain in detail why I don't like it. A different opinion on universally hated or loved anime can give a fresh perspective in between all the people that give the same reasons for loving or hating the show.
Feb 28, 2020 3:51 PM

Feb 2019
i liked the show a lot because i see myself in makoto, the anime itself is exciting and not boring to watch
Mar 1, 2020 6:33 AM
Dec 2017
I hate this anime ending is sucks at first I love the story but when it comes to the ending it fucking pissed me off
Mar 1, 2020 1:00 PM

Nov 2007
iskasa_ said:
@arnxx i really loved the anime and i dont get all the hate but maybe its because we all have different tastes, i do like too dark-romance anime aswell, if you want i can give you a full list, theres also many with some good twists :)

Sure send me this list :)
Mar 5, 2020 9:18 PM
Mar 2020
while i do think the last episode definitely is worth a watch, but honestly the rest is just essentially stereotypical highschool anime. just about as manufactured as can be: sure the last episodes great, but would you still watch endgame if it had the last 10 minutes being incredible-but the rest sucking ass? go see clannad, which is an actual good highschool anime.
Apr 4, 2020 6:56 PM

Jan 2018
2/10

awesome concept .
worst execution ever

it fails as a deconstruction ( if its actually supposed to be one) because it doesnt actually follow any logic

the fact that anyone could like makoto is immersion breaking in itself.
nevermind having a love interest.

besides that the characters are just terrible and often unrealistic .

dudes are just thirsty loosers but somehow that is hot apperantly

it must be very sexy to be with someone who is so stupid that you are woundering if they are missing some chromosomes

but that is a trend in this story

school days is the horror movie of romance anime.
you want to care about the characters but their behaviour is just so stupid that it ends up being funny at best .
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » School Days Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ranivus - Sep 20, 2007

1285 by Atsunome »»
Apr 22, 4:37 AM

Poll: » School Days Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

OriginalName - Sep 12, 2007

206 by Atsunome »»
Apr 22, 1:37 AM

Poll: » School Days Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

cyruz - Sep 5, 2007

203 by Atsunome »»
Apr 22, 1:21 AM

Poll: » School Days Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

DeleteMe3409 - Aug 29, 2007

176 by Atsunome »»
Apr 22, 1:03 AM

Poll: » School Days Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Phrosh - Aug 22, 2007

123 by Atsunome »»
Apr 22, 12:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.