Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 27, 2019 5:54 AM

Nov 2013
Focus more on the MMORPG elements like leveling up, fighting bosses, good world-building/interesting lore, creative dungeons with rare loot and a good antagonist or antagonistic force. A lot of these isekai adaptations can create interesting characters, but usually fail when it comes to story, either it's too rushed or get sidetracked with uninteresting side-character drama like Shield Hero or are just flat out boring like Log Horizon. This is only my opinion though and the only isekai LN I've read is Mushoku Tensei, others I've only watched the anime adaptation so I don't know how in-depth some of the LNs get, but I've mostly just been disappointed when it comes to isekai anime. This is also not counting KonoSuba, but I wouldn't say the writing is what makes that show likable anyway.

I do think Mushoku Tensei is good though despite it not existing in a game world, too bad the anime adaptation will likely be rushed or not adapt up to the more interesting parts that happen later on.

Basically, if it can just create an interesting fantasy world with likable characters and good story should be enough. I'm sure some isekai LNs pull this off like Mushoku Tensei for example, but I've yet to see it be done properly in anime, at least for modern isekai series. I don't think the entire structure of isekai needs to be changed like some other users mentioned, they can have all the same tropes that make them sell well in Japan and still have a good story.

EDIT: Forgot to mention NGNL as that is a isekai anime I quite enjoyed, although far too short to reach it's full potential. Sad it will probably never get another season with that same staff.
BlareyJun 27, 2019 10:01 AM
Jun 27, 2019 8:22 AM

Feb 2019
NeoAnkara said:
Illyricus said:
Make an isekai with two male lead characters, then give both of them an harem. I'm sure something like that would change the genre forever πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘€

https://myanimelist.net/manga/70363/Isekai_Mahou_wa_Okureteru

Here you go.

zieek said:
Make the protagonist the actual villain, not like with "Overlord" or Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari". Make the mc actual scum of the earth. He will be as strong as Ainz, fed up with people like Naofumi and have a skill that drives him to a corner like Subaru from Re:Zero.

No need for a sad backstory or unable to connect with people (otaku type) , make him a psychopath or sociopath or use some other mental illness. He should be doing things for number one, himself. Using people, playing both ally and enemy like chumps. Change his character or personality to suit the people he is using to win their trust. Maybe he was a human trafficer in his world, or a corrupt member of some political party.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series-finder/?sf=1&org=496&nt=2443,2444&tgi=12874&mtgi=or&sort=sdate&order=desc

Need better tagging but that's enough for now I guess.

Sakurai_Aoi said:
I have a few ideas.

1. Make an isekai anime with a reverse harem (Lol.)

2. An isekai anime with a female protagonist (and no harem)

3. The protagonist could be, idk, gay or something else in the lgbtq+ community

4. The world the protagonist goes to is NOT a medieval one (Maybe the world is technologically advanced or something.)

5. The MC has a unique ability

I can't think of any more but I'm sure that these ideas have been done before. Some of them don't occur very often though...

https://www.novelupdates.com/?s=villainess&post_type=seriesplans

For some of it.

https://www.novelupdates.com/?s=cheat&post_type=seriesplans

And more.

HopefulNihilist said:
Make the protagonist's goal NOT to save the world
I want to see an isekai protagonist more selfish; instead of trying to save the world or defeat the main antagonist, I want to see an isekai protagonist have a more selfish goal, like trying to get out of the fantasy world, or something more personnel, like trying to rescue their loved one

https://myanimelist.net/manga/67259/Hyakuren_no_Haou_to_Seiyaku_no_Valkyria

In which the anime butchered real hard just because THEY GODDAMN CRAM 9 VOLUME IN 1 COUR.

lol practically any idea that people give have already become isekai of them even if it is only in a novel, and none of them are good or stand out, in overlord the protagonist is practically the villain and it is not good, youjo senki not have a medieval setting and even then it does not stand out at all. Actually no isekai until now has been able to stand out authentically for its history or script instead of that it has to point to the cheap tricks that have worked for Re: zero and Shield hero, one where the MC and even the audience is challenged. It doesn't matter since it still feeds them waifus, bullshit powers, and/or other cool things and honor and whatnot with the same tired cliches and archetypes indulge in a masochistic cycle where it rewards MC/the audience before challenging and punishing them for example Naofumi/Subaru being a fuccboi, and then rewarding him with more girls and cool shit for doing something right, even when it doesn't feel earned by the narrative.
Jun 27, 2019 8:33 AM

Jun 2015
not be related to any mmoshit to begin with.

female mc, KAWAAAAIIIII~~ clumsy loli late middle/fresh high school kid, no op shit, is quite inept and got average grades, not athletically gifted either. Is lost, cries cute.

Eventually comes to terms she's never going home, is stuck in this other world, cannot fight well enough, decides to not be an adventurer, instead stays in town and manages to open a shop. No harem/romance garbage. no male love interests.

Optional Yuri bait: helping older female mommy type char takes her in and the quest taker fighter Onee-chan char can be teased, she can go full les with it too.

zieek said:
Make the protagonist the actual villain, not like with "Overlord" or Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari". Make the mc actual scum of the earth. He will be as strong as Ainz, fed up with people like Naofumi and have a skill that drives him to a corner like Subaru from Re:Zero.

No need for a sad backstory or unable to connect with people (otaku type) , make him a psychopath or sociopath or use some other mental illness. He should be doing things for number one, himself. Using people, playing both ally and enemy like chumps. Change his character or personality to suit the people he is using to win their trust. Maybe he was a human trafficer in his world, or a corrupt member of some political party.
so basically drifters with jesus as the mc instead?
Jun 27, 2019 10:31 AM

Jun 2014
I actually attempted to write an Isekai but never finished it. I decided to change genres to something other than an RPG and instead based it on 4X games like Europa Universalis and Civilization and the world operates by the mechanics and rules of those games.
Jun 27, 2019 11:00 AM

Nov 2015
A lot of people are mentioning changing the setting and yeah, I'm getting tired of seeing the same magic/fantasy world with video-game mechanics over and over. Not to mention the ever-present harem sub-plot. I'd also like a change of pace from the recycling of the same main character type, as well as the whole 'reincarnation/transportation' thing.

1. Setting
Exchange the Magic & Fantasy for Sci-Fi and either have the setting in a city or maybe even in space. Someone mentioned cyberpunk and I would absolutely love that as an Isekai setting. I would also argue for a non-traditional fantasy setting, such as one in the midst of a civil war or a coup or one going through an apocalypse-like scenario. Hell, how about having a setting where the world is so violent or dangerous the goal of the main character(s) is actually to return to their old world.

2. Character
Change the generic high-school kid. While it would be interesting to see a female protagonist, I think there is also worth looking at someone who is unusually old for an Isekai MC. An adult or even an old man would make for an intriguing character - perhaps someone who is very removed from anything even remotely fantasy, such as a policeman or politician. Also more group-main characters (I haven't seen it but I'm pretty sure Grimgar does this well?) or even a pair of MCs like NGNL.

3. Reincarnation-trope
This is the aspect I've thought about changing the most. I don't really like the whole 'died and reborn in a new world' thing gets overplayed. Even the simpler 'transported to another world' is overused. Instead, make the previous old world more relevant to the story by having the main character return there. Not at the end of the series as a way to wrap up the story, but throughout the entire show. Perhaps they have to learn to deal with living and balancing multiple lives at once, or have to use aspects or skills from world in the other. Take it a step further and maybe they bounce back and forth between their own world and a completely different new world every time.
ISOQuorraJun 27, 2019 11:14 AM
Jun 27, 2019 11:36 AM

Jul 2016
Really only need to do one thing: get rid of the teenager/otaku/young adult MC. Isekai shows exist as a power fantasy for their audience and the protagonist's writing suffers for it. Perhaps introduce the protagonist as an already jaded adult who's been in the another world for a few years and learnt to adapt his modern world knowledge into whatever fantasy world he's in. This allows us to bypass any of the initial shock of the MC when he was initially transported to the world.

Jun 27, 2019 8:41 PM

Nov 2008
NEEDS MOAR FEMALE LEADS LIKE HOW THE 90S DID IT.

butpleasenomoreFushigiYuugiok

Jun 27, 2019 9:06 PM
Feb 2012
Chiibi said:

yes more female leads instead of what we have now which is a male lead surronded by 8 nasty waifus
Jun 27, 2019 9:20 PM

Jan 2019
I think one of the simpler ways is to address some of the more practical problems with traveling to another world, which happen to be a lot of the same problems with time traveling for most of the population: If you aren't a healthy young man it sucks.

granted, some newer works like JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World address this issue (although this particular one has yet to be adapted).

I think, however, that you could stretch the idea even further. Like what if you have a chronic illness or mental disorder which requires you to take medication to live comfortably? going to another world that is essentially mid evil europe but with magic would be a death sentence.

Or, what if due to some condition, you require the use of a wheel chair or advanced prosthetics to move around? Going to a standard isekai world would be quite challenging as a result even if you have some OP hero power.

Hell, what if you are up in age and require a pacemaker or a hip implant, which happens to go out or stop working properly as a result of going to another world. What herculean feats do you have to overcome in another world just to find an adequate replacement?

I personally, would be really interested in seeing something along those lines done in an Isekai (or at the very least, more stuff like JK Haru)...
Jun 27, 2019 9:35 PM

Nov 2008
ahneeme said:
Chiibi said:

yes more female leads instead of what we have now which is a male lead surronded by 8 nasty waifus

Hell, even something like a girl who just started dating her first boyfriend was summoned to another world and he got dragged into it too; but they were separated and are looking for each other through the whole plot would be good.

I'd watch that. Or you could make them a married couple, or a parent separated from a child...just to switch it up.

Jun 28, 2019 1:01 AM

Nov 2016
Start with some new quirks okaasan online already seems fresh to me

Also stop going to the same world try something crazy like escaflowne did 20 years ago
Jun 28, 2019 1:13 AM

Jan 2018
I'd watch an isekai about a medieval shepherd who somehow got transported to the future and into a space opera.

"I Was Tending to My Flock, But Now I'm the Leader of the Galactic Empire."

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jun 28, 2019 1:23 AM

Jan 2009
Greyleaf said:
I'd watch an isekai about a medieval shepherd who somehow got transported to the future and into a space opera.

lol i will definitely watch that shit too sounds like how Gurren Lagann progresses

Jun 28, 2019 1:27 AM

Jan 2018
deg said:
Greyleaf said:

lol i will definitely watch that shit too sounds like how Gurren Lagann progresses

Lmao yeah, now that you say that, it does sounds a bit like TTGL xD

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jun 28, 2019 2:10 AM
Jul 2018
Sorry, I did not watch (m)any isekai shows, but I try to think about an isekai that I would wanna watch:

1. no teenagers only cast, or one teenage protagonist - instead make like a whole building or boat ( bermuda triangle ? ) or bus disappear with all kinds of people, old, young, kids, foreigners, office workers, nurses, cops, supermarket part timers, drug addicts, teachers, senile grandpa - you get the idea - this alone will result in a lot of problems, dilemmas, hard decisions when it comes to survival etc

2. no medieval / fantasy / magic world - instead a harsh environment, no nice villages on the way to the king's castle or lush forests brimming with life - instead ice planet, stormy desert, swamps etc.
or the several times mentioned cyberpunk inspired setting, I could get into that
or a completely weird world a la Cube

Sorry, if any of this has been done, as said, don't really watch - if it has been done, titles pls XD
Jun 28, 2019 2:42 AM

Jan 2019
FoxFire75 said:
Sorry, I did not watch (m)any isekai shows, but I try to think about an isekai that I would wanna watch:

1. no teenagers only cast, or one teenage protagonist - instead make like a whole building or boat ( bermuda triangle ? ) or bus disappear with all kinds of people, old, young, kids, foreigners, office workers, nurses, cops, supermarket part timers, drug addicts, teachers, senile grandpa - you get the idea - this alone will result in a lot of problems, dilemmas, hard decisions when it comes to survival etc

2. no medieval / fantasy / magic world - instead a harsh environment, no nice villages on the way to the king's castle or lush forests brimming with life - instead ice planet, stormy desert, swamps etc.
or the several times mentioned cyberpunk inspired setting, I could get into that
or a completely weird world a la Cube

Sorry, if any of this has been done, as said, don't really watch - if it has been done, titles pls XD

GATE is kind of like what you are wanting in the first one, although oddly enough that idea reminds me of Btooom! more than anything else (even though that show isn't strictly an Isekai).

I think your sentiment in 1. matches my suggestion earlier though in getting away from the young, healthy male for protagonist, so I definitely agree with you there.
And I also agree with you that swampy Isekai setting could be fun to watch.
Jun 28, 2019 2:49 AM
Jul 2018
FlagCrusherTaka said:

GATE is kind of like what you are wanting in the first one, although oddly enough that idea reminds me of Btooom! more than anything else (even though that show isn't strictly an Isekai).

I think your sentiment in 1. matches my suggestion earlier though in getting away from the young, healthy male for protagonist, so I definitely agree with you there.
And I also agree with you that swampy Isekai setting could be fun to watch.

Thank you for the recommendation, I don't know Gate, so I'll def check that out.
I watched Btooom! - I like battle royale type shows, so that one was after my taste in more than just the diverse-cast aspect.
Jun 28, 2019 3:12 AM

Dec 2015
You might want to consider if you're not coming from another world because sadly, in ours is the "falling in a parallel world" concept still going strong in terms of popularity.

I know of two methods:
1) From the outside, it would be to exterminate the sub-species consuming this kind of thing,
2) From the inside, to stop considering it as a "genre" would be the first step. With that cleared out of the way, creators would not feel compeled to implement some "obligatory" traits in their story.

Setsuei said:
Change the damn setting so it's not always based in a fantasy world.

"The other World" (Ima soko ni iru boku also known as "Now&then,here&there")

@Supercueca With wich character did Jûni Kokku do that?
Jun 28, 2019 3:20 AM

Oct 2013
Rei366 said:

"The other World" (Ima soko ni iru boku also known as "Now&then,here&there")

I looked into that at one point but was iffy about watching it.
Jun 28, 2019 3:27 AM

Jan 2019
make the mc unpowerfull / op skill thing, theres no game skill or whatever just normal different world /isekai without super power/ magic/ or some bs. make the mc suffer alot and try to revenge to whoever make he suffer. instead done revenge. thats action make him/her to be a villian of the shows.
Jun 28, 2019 4:09 AM

Feb 2016
Rei366 said:

@Supercueca With wich character did Jûni Kokku do that?

Yuka Sugimotoγ…€ γ…€ γ…€ γ…€ γ…€ γ…€
Jun 28, 2019 4:36 AM
Jul 2018
You could send the male mc and let his mum tag along too
Jun 28, 2019 4:53 AM

May 2015
Have the protagonist find himself in a technologically advanced world instead of a fantasy world. Have him/her struggle with the technology. Make the cast sexually diverse so it doesn't become a harem. Be animated by a good studio.

That last point is something that I feel people don't quite notice. The most popular isekais in recent years have all been much better animated than the average anime. They're just obviously less phoned in and bland.
Jun 28, 2019 5:00 AM

Mar 2012
Chiibi said:
ahneeme said:

Hell, even something like a girl who just started dating her first boyfriend was summoned to another world and he got dragged into it too; but they were separated and are looking for each other through the whole plot would be good.

I'd watch that. Or you could make them a married couple, or a parent separated from a child...just to switch it up.
More than you can imagine.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series-finder/?sf=1&org=496&nt=2443,26874,2444&tgi=2879,15008&mtgi=and&sort=sdate&order=desc
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 28, 2019 5:13 AM
Nov 2017
They really have a lot of potential. I don't know why they just did the same thing again and again. But for me, this is going to make isekai fresh again.

1. This is Isekai, but they always made medieval world. I mean, Isekai is another world, right? It can be like Youjo Senki, but please...just throw out the magic thing.

2. Instead of building harem, why don't build a guild like and make the character development more? Yes, SAO has a build, but that is just what, 5 minutes? They didn't focus on something in the build.

3. Focus on another monster. They always made something like demons, angel, fairy, and every other spiritual beings, but they just made another human like but add thrones or wings. If they can make a cool monster, maybe something like OPM or Berserk, focusing on them, and make them an actual character with actual development.

4. Make a pet more important.

5. Sorcerer/mage but can use a sword. I mean, I'm surprised nobody ever do this. They always made a Sorcerer boring and weak, or just too overpower. If they can use sword and flow the magic, fire, ice, or any other things into their weapons, that will be so cool. Dark souls did it! And they are a good inspiration for medieval, but it seems like nobody gives a sh*t.
Jun 28, 2019 5:19 AM
Jul 2018
An isekai with a FEMALE MC

and she gets transported into yaoi land the same way all the male mcs gets transported into a harem land
Jun 28, 2019 5:22 AM

Mar 2012
If I search enough I can actually cover all of the thing people mentioned here by using NovelUpdate.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 28, 2019 5:27 AM

Apr 2019
I'm not sure Isekai is really a genre, it is more like a bag of narrative tropes and devices. Many of them but not all in some form are medieval-ish fantasy worlds, but e.g. NGNL or Youjo Seki are not. Please do not confuse classic high/epic fantasy and isekai, not everything taking place in a magic medieval world is an isekai: Juuni Kokuki or Seirei no Moribito just are "just" high fantasy.

What all have in common is one or both of using RPG elements to shortcut story telling, and some world-level effect beyond the power of the protagoonists to create emergency. An example for the storytelling is use of RPG-style stats which removes the need to explain growth using small things, you just have numbers and they tell it all in 5 seconds. A world level effect would be an omnipotent controller (SAO, NGNL, YS) or a periodic event (Shield Hero, Re:Zero).

The sad truth is regardless of plot devices, story variations, isekai tropes or mixing isekai with ever more genres, this only scratches the surface. Like with any story, you need characters, world building, and plot. I would watch a sack of rice isekaied if it has an interesting character, an immersive world, and a rich, developing and diverse cast. This implies very much that 24 episodes are probably too short to build a world, develop gray characters, and have some plot on top. It's called epic fantasy for a reason.

Long story short, do this: https://youtu.be/efD3nmwF-IM
Or maybe this: https://youtu.be/orLz433Cf-g

Edit: One more: forget PG-13, you can't tell interesting fantasy stories if you are not allowed to frighten kids, show some gore, and maybe have some actual sexuality (not talking about harems and gainax boobies).
inimJun 28, 2019 6:35 AM

Jun 28, 2019 5:27 AM
May 2019
Konosuba did good by making fun of isekai and putting the cliche personalities and cranking them up tenn million times. Slime-kun did the opposite and put almost no spin on it and had good writing funny moments, and did what isekai was meant to do and both were funny so either make an isekai parody or just do what isekai is made for and write it good
Jun 28, 2019 9:41 AM

May 2018
vhagar8 said:
What the fuck are ya talking about?
Just because a bunch of 12 years old edgelords are making some noise in the mal forums, it doesn't mean people are getting sick of isekai by any strech of the imagination. Isekai are still going strong and their popularity is only increasing. Most people like isekai, saying "people are getting sick of isekai" is nothing but a gross generalization.
Also, most of the people who are "getting sick" of isekai, never liked the genre to begin with, so no shit they're "getting sick" of it. Whenever they're "generic" or not, (whatever the fuck this buzz word is even supposed to mean these days) it doesn't even matter to them.

Within my friends and other discussion forums, this statement is REALLY often duplicated, so I'm not really sure if it's gross generalization tbh.

I'm overall a big fan of the fantasy genre and when I saw my first isekai I really loved the idea of being transported to another world. Imo this "genre" has unlimited potential, you can come up with everything. Medieval, fanstasy, cyberpunk, distant future... literally anything, just write a relatively logical story without plot holes (or craters lul) and add a few interesting characters that are unique in some ways. That's all I ask for. I'd just like to see something pleasant. And you know what the funniest thing is? I haven't seen anything better than a slowly developing, quite down-to-earth Grimgar, and Konosuba, which, however, focuses solely on the comedy aspect. How the fuck am I supposed to not get sick of literally the same shit that comes out every season in a mass quantities? (That's too a really popular opinion among many ppl with whom I have had many constructive discussions)

The problem is, at least in my case, that I can't turn off my brain and enjoy series like shield hero, re;zero or slime, cuz I simply can't stand the repetitiveness or stupidity of these shows. Well, all I have to do is to wait until something good comes out eventually or get high enough to enjoy th ones that are already out I guess.
reformed
Jun 28, 2019 9:50 AM

Jul 2016
>Create a new setting and/or spend more time developing the rules and the culture of the world
>Make the MC less of a hollow shell for the watcher to project into and more of a well-developed character
>Give the main cast different relationships from the cliché ones. Make the MC weaker, or not as trustworthy and pure-hearted as every hero. Instead of being their second in command and/or harem and eunuch friends, give them more screentime and importance in the world they live in, geezus.
>If you're going for the deconstruction genre, do more than just point out flaws and go "xd isn't that le weird?"
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Jun 28, 2019 11:09 AM
Jul 2018
stop making them this genre is already dried up a long time ago
Jun 28, 2019 11:26 AM

Jan 2013
>make an isekai thread
>it's about the current ones
>no mention of the ones from the 80s/90s/00s

Every single damn time...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 28, 2019 12:13 PM

Apr 2018
WrngHoleOniiChan said:
Within my friends and other discussion forums, this statement is REALLY often duplicated, so I'm not really sure if it's gross generalization tbh.

I don't know how things go in your circle of friends, nor I care, but the numbers speak for themselves. Isekai are always among the most popular shows of the season, no matter how u look at it, people are consuming them, which means they're not getting tired of them. The loud minority who's "getting tired" of them is just that, a minority. So if ur not sure, lemme confirm this for u, it's indeed a gross generalization.

WrngHoleOniiChan said:
And you know what the funniest thing is? I haven't seen anything better than a slowly developing, quite down-to-earth Grimgar, and Konosuba

It doesn't sound that funny to me tbh, but I guess that's because different people have different sense of humor. The same thing applies to taste in anime as well, which is what u could've said instead of all that condescending crap. "I can't turn my brain off" lol. Who the fuck u think u are? Try turning it on for once, it does seem off to me at the moment.
Jun 28, 2019 12:13 PM

Jan 2014
Like many others have mentioned, create a futuristic isekai. Where the MC is from our current timeline ( I would say the Sengoku period when Samurai were a thing, but that's just Samurai Jack lol ) and transport him like 10,000+ years into the future.

Establish more world-building, a lot of isekai don't take advantage of the worlds that they created to their full potential. Flesh it out a lot more. Everything shouldn't revolve around the MC and his actions

Stop having OP MC'S that can do everything. The concept itself isn't bad, I mean Overlord does it right, but the amount of MC'S who are OP as fuck is tiring. There's not a sense of danger or threat to them......like you know they are gonna pull through every single time

Have more adult MC'S.

Have more anti hero MC'S.

Jun 28, 2019 12:31 PM

Apr 2018
Cabron said:
>make an isekai thread

Well, maybe that's because that's what people usually think when talking about isekai.
Being transported to another world alone is not relevant enough to make its own genre. With isekai people usually mean more than just that, there are some common tropes these new shows often share. I haven't watched any of those older shows, but, as far as I know, they don't have a lot in common with the modern ones. The very fact of calling them isekai seems a little of a strech to me.
That said, I don't think it should be that surprising people aren't mentioning them, actually I'm surprised when people do mention them. They're pretty irrelevant in most of the discussions isekai are mentioned in, this one included. As far as I know, in fact, "old isekai" don't share the same criticism modern isekai face, so I really struggle to see why someone should be mentioning them in this thread...
Jun 28, 2019 12:43 PM
Apr 2017
An isekai where the MC is transported in the mass effect universe rather than the usual tolkien-like one. There, done.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jun 28, 2019 1:03 PM
Mar 2016
Not sure if this counts as an isekai exactly, but
the MC somehow gets transferred to another planet
and the planet somehow fights Earth
idk
Jun 28, 2019 1:20 PM

Apr 2019
DoctorWasabi said:
create a futuristic isekai. Where the MC is from our current timeline ( I would say the Sengoku period when Samurai were a thing, but that's just Samurai Jack lol ) and transport him like 10,000+ years into the future.

+1, I'd watch the anime version of H.G. Well's The Time Machine. He even has a small harem there, perfect.
inimJun 29, 2019 3:50 AM

Jun 28, 2019 1:29 PM

Dec 2015
Honestly, if you think about it, almost every Isekai show has a different approach on the story premise. So, I guess it just need to have a good execution and not be silly
Jun 28, 2019 1:41 PM
Jan 2019
- Do not make the MC overpowered.
- Do not give the MC a Harem.
- Focus on characters that are NOT the MC.
- Do not include loli characters.
- Build an actual story around it instead of just the characters taking random quests.
- Give the characters proper development.
Jun 28, 2019 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
Cabron said:
>make an isekai thread

Those are the ones worth watching, too.
Jun 28, 2019 3:01 PM

Jun 2015
Every decade in anime has had its trends that over saturate the market. The reason these shows keep being made is because people keep watching them. How about instead of complaining about the mere existence of these shows; you try to shed some light on stuff that you like? Try to pave the way for newer, better trends. There are still good anime being made and even obscure shows get fansubs now. Nothing's keeping you from watching whatever you want.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Jun 28, 2019 3:28 PM
Sep 2018
maybe only do not use the typical isekai stuffs: a harem, a overpowered principal character with powers that doesnt have sense, in a videogame and the ecchiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Jun 28, 2019 4:11 PM

Sep 2016
Not making them on the first place, unless is Tanya.
Jun 28, 2019 4:36 PM

Apr 2014
isekai into a non fantasy realm. originally they isekai'd into fantasy or videogames because here the rules are anything goes in these settings. but now its fantasy/game because its fantasy, some dont even take advantage of the "anything goes" rule
Jun 28, 2019 4:37 PM

Oct 2015
Isekai is nearly interchangeable with fantasy for some reason. It's a good starter to have a different setting; futuristic, military, medieval, anything other than this oversaturated garbage.

@HopefulNihilist On a completely unrelated note, I'm wondering how well do you speak Turkish now. I haven't seen a fellow Turk in MAL before and since I know you from forums for a long time now it feels kinda weird lol.
Jun 28, 2019 4:53 PM

Jul 2013
To be fair, it doesn't need to be fresh to be good. It just needs good execution. I mean I was one of the folks that hated the modern isekai format whenever they pulled off the harem stuff. Until I read/saw good stuff like Isekai Maou and Arifureta, it depends on your taste.

Now on to topic, if I had to pick my idea of isekai it would be this
- MC is summoned to another world because he picked up a ancient artifact from said world.
- King informs the MC and other summoned characters (from various planets not just earth) that a war has happened in this planet for years
- The world's lore is focused on 3 ancient monsters that protected this planet.
- The summoned people are known as "The Elemental Heros" Which represents the elements of : Fire, Earth, Light, Dark. Water and Wind.
- The whole planet is seperated into three tribes.

Jun 28, 2019 7:18 PM

Dec 2010
_cjessop18_ said:
Having it so that the MC gets transported to a LotGH-styled world - humanity in the future and in space (space war style), and the show would have the potential to grow really large with its plot progression and character development.

Hell yeah this is it right here anything with Lotgh will be sweet throw in some mech and it will be golden.
Jun 28, 2019 7:22 PM

Apr 2015
"How to make the isekai genre feel fresh?"

Stop pandering to otakus, problem solved. Out of the many isekai shows only the classic ones stand a chance, here are a couple examples:

1) Genmu Senki Leda
2) Tenkuu no Escaflowne
3) Juuni Kokuki
4) Fushigi Yuugi
5) Seisenshi Dunbine
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 11 hours ago

33 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 9 hours ago

18 by Catalano »»
5 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 23 minutes ago

3 by ArpitPatel »»
9 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9062 by anime-prime »»
25 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

62 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.