Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 26, 2019 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
This is just a post prior to it's ending, so it could do a Game of Thrones and ruin everything last minute. However, Isayama has proven himself to be a brilliant story writer and I place my trust within him wholeheartedly.

You may have saw that I related this to 'Fullmetal Alchemist', and before everyone screams at me for daring to compare 'Attack On Titan' to such a 'godly creation', I am of the opinion that Attack on Titan shares a few aspects with the former that make its story so engrossing.

For instance, two of the greatest qualities a shounen can have is, one, a clear goal from the beginning (and signs of development to said goal), and two, setting up a mystery in the beginning and fulfilling it at the end with minimal, if not zero, plot holes.

These are qualities that both series exemplify in.
That might have only covered the characterizations, as Isayama's genius writing can been seen through out 'Attack on Titan' with the far reaching connective threads throughout the story.

I won't mention Fullmetal as it is common knowledge that it is well made, practically a masterpiece. However, I believe most of its reception, while deserved, is given because for nearly 10 years we have seen how conclusive its ending has been, and it is not a monthly manga (anymore). While Attack on Titan is the manga, of an anime that is widely considered by many to be 'overated', even if they haven't seen it, this is most likely due to its position as a popular gateway anime.

Ultimately, Attack on Titan is unlike any other popular shounen currently, as it has a clear ending in sight, and won't end abruptly due to scheduling as it is immensely popular. And I can see both the manga and the anime reaching in the high 8's and low 9's once it ends.

Now for all those who 'read it all', roast me in the comments for my incompetence and lack of taste.
removed-userJun 26, 2019 5:11 AM
Jun 27, 2019 1:42 PM

Nov 2014
Isayama is an amazing writer, and more importantly doesn't seem to be slacking off or losing passion like a certain other mangaka I used to adore.

I definitely agree, I think the story will be in the top 5 for many people.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2019 2:02 PM

May 2015
I was thinking the same thing while trying to find convincing reasons for my friend who likes FMA to check out AoT.

They do share thought-provoking themes and with how everything is tying up neatly, I hope that AoT will have a satisfying ending too.
Jun 27, 2019 2:28 PM

Oct 2017
It depends on the ending if it gets a good ending I will agree with you but it really depends on how Isayama ties up these loose plot threads.
Jun 27, 2019 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

SNK has a terrible art. A really annoying MC. Meaningless deaths that are not even close to being impactful. Is boring. Mikasa has nothing going on about her except for being a stronk stoic action girl. Levi and an A-hole. And Armin is the saving grace on this thing for being extremelly smart.

FMA is a masterpiece in every sense of the world. It manages to balance comedy with drama perfectly. Edward is one of the best MCs of all time for being complex, charismatic, funny and having a really cool design. Nearlly everyone is a badass with personality and awesome characterization. It is entertaining, deep and meaningful. It taught me many life lessons. The romantic subplots are well developed. And overall it's one of the best things Japan has ever produced.

How dare you compare this piece of garbage (SNK) to a masterwork such as Fullmetal Alchemist.
Jun 27, 2019 8:24 PM
Apr 2019
Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

SNK has a terrible art. A really annoying MC. Meaningless deaths that are not even close to being impactful. Is boring. Mikasa has nothing going on about her except for being a stronk stoic action girl. Levi and an A-hole. And Armin is the saving grace on this thing for being extremelly smart.

FMA is a masterpiece in every sense of the world. It manages to balance comedy with drama perfectly. Edward is one of the best MCs of all time for being complex, charismatic, funny and having a really cool design. Nearlly everyone is a badass with personality and awesome characterization. It is entertaining, deep and meaningful. It taught me many life lessons. The romantic subplots are well developed. And overall it's one of the best things Japan has ever produced.

How dare you compare this piece of garbage (SNK) to a masterwork such as Fullmetal Alchemist.

Nice joke. Also u haven't read the manga it seems. Eren isn't annoying anymore, Mikasa got some little bit of character development in the last chapter, levi is probably dead. SNK is still ongoing and its in the final arc right now. If this manga series was concluded long time ago, then i think we could have seen less hate for SNK. Dude hating on things doesn't make u cool.
Jun 27, 2019 9:29 PM

Feb 2018
Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

Mikasa has nothing going on about her except for being a stronk stoic action girl.

Favorite Manga and Female Character checks out
Jun 28, 2019 2:39 AM

Aug 2012
Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

Low tier bait, try better next time.
Jun 28, 2019 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
Titanslayer18 said:
Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

Nice joke. Also u haven't read the manga it seems. Eren isn't annoying anymore, Mikasa got some little bit of character development in the last chapter, levi is probably dead. SNK is still ongoing and its in the final arc right now. If this manga series was concluded long time ago, then i think we could have seen less hate for SNK. Dude hating on things doesn't make u cool.

I've read over 100 chapters of SNK. It is note a joke it is just my opinion. And I'm not trying to look 'cool'. I just dislike this series with a burning passion and replied to this thread because I've seen my favorite work of all time being compared with one of the worst things I've ever read. Just it.
ThatShiny_Hex said:
Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

Mikasa has nothing going on about her except for being a stronk stoic action girl.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

@sim0n2170 It is not bait. If it is just report it to a Mod and he/she'll be taking care of it. And negativity =/= bait.

@NakolHira the same goes for you. Also nice evading of character limit post.
Jun 28, 2019 6:15 AM

Nov 2011
@Nick-Knight

SNK has a terrible art.

The art wasn't that great at the beginning and even he realized that but Isayama has greatly improved his art over years. It's far from terrible now.

A really annoying MC.

Character development is a thing. Current Eren is nothing like Eren at the start of the series.

Meaningless deaths that are not even close to being impactful. Is boring.

Fighting against Titans isn't supposed to be easy. Countless soldiers dies in a war in real life without serving any purpose. You might step on a landmine and just dies. Not everyone can be a hero.

There's a reason why Mikasa is how she is. If you read the manga, you would have learn more.

Levi and an A-hole.

Levi doesn't act friendly but he is not an asshole. That's like calling Roy Mustang an asshole. If you even have shred of knowledge about Levi, you wouldn't call him that.

And Armin is the saving grace on this thing for being extremelly smart.

Every main characters in AoT have their saving grace. Jean,Connie and even Sasha serve a purpose.

You knowledge of AoT is far outdated to even make a comparison.

Jun 28, 2019 6:25 AM

Feb 2018

I'm not trying to look 'cool'. I just hate SAO and Asuna (Simon was obviously better) with a burning passion and replied to this comment because I've seen my favorite work of all time being shit talked by someone who likes something that is one of the worst things. Just it.

That was a joke, so don't get worked up. I honestly think Yao and Mustang were thousand times better than Edward, and in between jokes really killed the atmosphere at times.

@Barnald please do something about this thread.
Jun 28, 2019 6:33 AM
Jul 2018
ThatShiny_Hex said:
That was a joke, so don't get worked up.

Well, then we have nothing else to discuss here.
Jun 28, 2019 6:36 AM

Feb 2018
Nick-Knight said:
ThatShiny_Hex said:
That was a joke, so don't get worked up.

Well, then we have nothing else to discuss here.

You don't have to state the obvious.
Jun 28, 2019 7:00 AM

Sep 2018
I totally agree on that note....and i have full faith in Isayama to not fuck it up. SnK is one of those series that evolved quite a bit with the artist, in the beginning it had its serious problems but it developted into one of my favorite currently running series and it probably has one of if not the best war arc in manga history.
The story and Characters still suffer from the early problems tho (the explaination for the strength of the ackermann felt like a asspull..yea it got foreshadowed but it still feels like lazy writing).

The only problem is the art....the story and Characters improved over time and the art did too....buuut it still kinda sucks tbh. I mean its a monthly release but the art is worse than most weekly action series and that says alot.
-Mullerio-Jun 28, 2019 7:09 AM
Jun 28, 2019 9:43 AM

Oct 2013
Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

Look at your masterpiece stat, a decent amount of persons feel the same way for fmab. https://myanimelist.net/anime/5114/Fullmetal_Alchemist__Brotherhood/stats

The point I'm making is coming here and voicing how much you believe this series is the worst series ever, wont change a damn thing regarding what this series has accomplished and will accomplished in the future, just like how these haters for fmab won't stop it from getting countless praise and currently being number 1 on mal.

keragammingJun 28, 2019 9:48 AM
Jun 28, 2019 1:20 PM
Mar 2019
Titanslayer18 said:
Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

I have no intention to seam rude but you both don't seem to understand the character of Eren. He is meant to be a shonen character with idealistic and opinionated black-and-white view on the world from the very start, but Aot's world is not a good vs bad one. It's a cruel and harsh one where the strong, not the kindhearted, survives. And seeing how the cruel environment slowly changes Eren's character in the course of the story is what makes him so entertaining to watch. I'll never stop saying it, Eren's character is one of the best in the series. His development from an unrealistically impulsive, almost psychopatic kid who would rationalize kidnappers as beasts in order to be able to kill them without any regret to the pragmatic, morally complex and questionable Eren we now in Marley Arc. (and no, that's no spoiler 'cause entering this thread automatically says you've read the manga).
Jun 28, 2019 1:27 PM
Mar 2019
Mullerio said:
I totally agree on that note....and i have full faith in Isayama to not fuck it up. SnK is one of those series that evolved quite a bit with the artist, in the beginning it had its serious problems but it developted into one of my favorite currently running series and it probably has one of if not the best war arc in manga history.
The story and Characters still suffer from the early problems tho (the explaination for the strength of the ackermann felt like a asspull..yea it got foreshadowed but it still feels like lazy writing).

The only problem is the art....the story and Characters improved over time and the art did too....buuut it still kinda sucks tbh. I mean its a monthly release but the art is worse than most weekly action series and that says alot.
I'm assuming you've catch up with the manga since you entered this thread

Do we read the same manga?
Jun 28, 2019 2:16 PM

Sep 2018
Hikou_Senshi said:
Mullerio said:

Yea as i said the art improved, but its still not as good most other monthly manga.
There are of course impressive panels in a manga with a lengh of 118 chapters but the consistency is missing, look at 118 and even tho it may has some pretty nice panels most of them are pretty bad, just look at that one fight....and if i may clarify what i meant by "art" i meant the overall "art" part not just how the panels are drawn.
What still sucks in SnK is the panel structure...the fights fell just messy.

I love the series atm but i still think the art is underwhelming for a monthly series even tho it was a hell lot worse in the beginning, if you are fine with the art good for you.
-Mullerio-Jun 28, 2019 2:20 PM
Jun 28, 2019 2:23 PM
Mar 2019
Mullerio said:
Hikou_Senshi said:

Yea as i said the art improved, but its still not as good most other monthly manga.
There are of course impressive panels in a manga with a lengh of 118 chapters but the consistency is missing, look at 118 and even tho it may has some pretty nice panels most of them are pretty bad, just look at that one fight....and if i may clarify what i meant by "art" i meant the overall "art" part not just how the panels are drawn.
What still sucks in SnK is the panel structure...the fights fell just messy.

I love the series atm but i still think the art is underwhelming for a monthly series,even tho it was a hell lot worse in the beginning, if you are fine with the art good for you.
That's fine. The art is in my opinion pretty coherent (at least from Rts arc) and seem completely fine but I never took in consideration panel structure, maybe I shoul give it more attention.
Jun 28, 2019 9:42 PM

May 2018
It is already a classic for me.
Jun 30, 2019 6:02 AM
Apr 2019
Nick-Knight said:
I've read over 100 chapters of SNK. It is note a joke it is just my opinion. And I'm not trying to look 'cool'. I just dislike this series with a burning passion and replied to this thread because I've seen my favorite work of all time being compared with one of the worst things I've ever read. Just it.

Dude how can u say its one of the worst thing u have ever read? Its like there isn't anything worse than aot for u. Clearly u are hating on this seriesl without giving a solid reason why this series sucks. Well somehow u read it this far even tho u disliked this series from the start.
Bababazooka69Jun 30, 2019 6:06 AM
Jul 5, 2019 4:52 AM

Oct 2010
I agree to the title of the thread. This series will be remembered for a long time after it has ended. Isayama truly delivers as a story teller.
Jul 5, 2019 6:40 AM

Apr 2016
Kvothe51 said:
Isayama is an amazing writer, and more importantly doesn't seem to be slacking off or losing passion like a certain other mangaka I used to adore.

I definitely agree, I think the story will be in the top 5 for many people.

Assuming you are talking about Oda, I agree, but OP has nearly 1000 chapters, it's understandable that it won't always be as good.

Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

Nice bait, even better coming from someone who has SAO in his favourites list. That's a yikes.

Run with the Wind is criminally underrated.
Jul 6, 2019 1:15 AM

May 2017
Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

That's your opinion, so don't try to force it on others.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2019 11:54 PM

Jun 2016
Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

The most factual facts I read today. Thank you
Jul 10, 2019 6:57 AM
Jul 2019
AOT or FMA
How give a shit i can watch both
Jul 10, 2019 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
Nick-Knight said:
FMA - Over 9000/10
SNK- 1/10

Hard disagree on both of those.

Even if Eren is 'annoying' his character arc is very original and quite unique for a character of his sort while Edward is...not all that interesting really. He's probably one of the least interesting characters of FMA.

But I'm going to do an even harder disagree on the comedy thing. FMA biggest flaw no doubt is its comedy. It really doesn't need those stupid funny moments, they only made me dislike the MC and didn't add anything to the story.
Jul 12, 2019 11:17 PM
Mar 2018
Can anyone please explain to me that which mangas are classic? I thought AoT was already classic
Jul 18, 2019 6:00 PM
Sep 2016
if in 10 or 20 years you will read it again and it will still seem like a masterpiece then it is a classic, only time will decide it.
surely it will be one of the best shonens of the last decade.

PS I'm not a big fan of the characters
Jul 19, 2019 5:17 AM
May 2018
TBH I really am reserving judgment on the current arc but I am not liking where it is going and how needlessly convoluted it is. Thing is, I usually like convoluted stories, for example, I love HxH's current arc but this one doesn't sit right with me, maybe it is due to the character's motivations being morphed that I get lost when thinking about character motivations. I have no idea what Eren is thinking or what Hange is thinking or what Marley is doing.
Jul 19, 2019 10:07 AM
Sep 2018
Gorochu said:
I'm 3000% with you man
Jul 20, 2019 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
Smit_Vaidya said:
TBH I really am reserving judgment on the current arc but I am not liking where it is going and how needlessly convoluted it is. Thing is, I usually like convoluted stories, for example, I love HxH's current arc but this one doesn't sit right with me, maybe it is due to the character's motivations being morphed that I get lost when thinking about character motivations. I have no idea what Eren is thinking or what Hange is thinking or what Marley is doing.
You're not supposed to know. Its a mystery and I have to say its a god damn good one. Things will make sense in the end. Lol, what a brilliant idea, make the main character the mystery of the series. Absolutely fricking brilliant.
Jul 20, 2019 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah, when I look back at the series and realize how well everything is structured. I just gotta appreciate it. All the confusing shit thats been going on, its going to make sense in the end. EREN JUST USE THE COORDINATE ALREADY.
Jul 20, 2019 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
Nick-Knight said:
Titanslayer18 said:

ThatShiny_Hex said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

@sim0n2170 It is not bait. If it is just report it to a Mod and he/she'll be taking care of it. And negativity =/= bait.

@NakolHira the same goes for you. Also nice evading of character limit post.
We AoT dudes are fairly cool except when whiny people like you try to attack AoT without any base.
Jul 20, 2019 10:33 AM
Jul 2018
Hhguf said:
AOT or FMA
How give a shit i can watch both
A sensible man I see.
Jul 20, 2019 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
Kami_sama_ said:
This is just a post prior to it's ending, so it could do a Game of Thrones and ruin everything last minute. However, Isayama has proven himself to be a brilliant story writer and I place my trust within him wholeheartedly.

You may have saw that I related this to 'Fullmetal Alchemist', and before everyone screams at me for daring to compare 'Attack On Titan' to such a 'godly creation', I am of the opinion that Attack on Titan shares a few aspects with the former that make its story so engrossing.

For instance, two of the greatest qualities a shounen can have is, one, a clear goal from the beginning (and signs of development to said goal), and two, setting up a mystery in the beginning and fulfilling it at the end with minimal, if not zero, plot holes.

These are qualities that both series exemplify in.
That might have only covered the characterizations, as Isayama's genius writing can been seen through out 'Attack on Titan' with the far reaching connective threads throughout the story.

I won't mention Fullmetal as it is common knowledge that it is well made, practically a masterpiece. However, I believe most of its reception, while deserved, is given because for nearly 10 years we have seen how conclusive its ending has been, and it is not a monthly manga (anymore). While Attack on Titan is the manga, of an anime that is widely considered by many to be 'overated', even if they haven't seen it, this is most likely due to its position as a popular gateway anime.

Ultimately, Attack on Titan is unlike any other popular shounen currently, as it has a clear ending in sight, and won't end abruptly due to scheduling as it is immensely popular. And I can see both the manga and the anime reaching in the high 8's and low 9's once it ends.

Now for all those who 'read it all', roast me in the comments for my incompetence and lack of taste.
good post. I personally have not read or watched FMAB as the fanbase just deters me.
Jul 20, 2019 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
kienshina123 said:
Gorochu said:
I'm 3000% with you man
I love the series 3000
Jul 21, 2019 3:35 AM
Nov 2018
Kvothe51 said:

Tg manga is still better than that of aot's imo. Yes ishida was just burnt out most likely due the work conditions..
But saying he lost his passion is rude. You can read his last interview about tg for reference.
He said he still love tg. He didn't lose passion. And yes i love Ishida. The anime didnt justify the manga. And i will still say it again tg's manga is better than that of aot's.
Jul 21, 2019 4:12 AM
May 2019
Maybe. It is one of my favorite manga I hope it does.
Jul 21, 2019 4:17 AM

Feb 2018
ibrabbit said:
Kvothe51 said:

Tg manga is still better than that of aot's imo. Yes ishida was just burnt out most likely due the work conditions..
But saying he lost his passion is rude. You can read his last interview about tg for reference.
He said he still love tg. He didn't lose passion. And yes i love Ishida. The anime didnt justify the manga. And i will still say it again tg's manga is better than that of aot's.

This might be off topic but Tokyo ghoul had such a great start, poor Ishida should have kept the series on haitus for a while. Just because of a shit adaptation and final arc, no one remembers tokyo ghoul now while it had the caliber to become a classic.
Jul 21, 2019 5:00 AM
Nov 2018
ThatShiny_Hex said:
ibrabbit said:

This might be off topic but Tokyo ghoul had such a great start, poor Ishida should have kept the series on haitus for a while. Just because of a shit adaptation and final arc, no one remembers tokyo ghoul now while it had the caliber to become a classic.

It can still go down as a classic. Waiting for the day when it would have another adaptation.
Jul 21, 2019 5:01 AM

Feb 2018
ibrabbit said:
ThatShiny_Hex said:

It can still go down as a classic. Waiting for the day when it would have another adaptation.

Tokyo ghoul brotherhood : re
Nice.
Jul 22, 2019 8:17 PM

Jan 2018
ThatShiny_Hex said:
ibrabbit said:

Tokyo ghoul brotherhood : re
Nice.

Tokyo ghoul re manga wasnt very good tho tbh. Atleast not the last half.
Jul 24, 2019 8:47 AM

Aug 2018
I really like Attack on Titan, but it is far from being as great as other mangas like Berserk, Monster or Kingdom. It has many clichés combined, and makes it a normal manga. I personally like the story and I am following it now with burning passion, and it might become one of the most well known mangas out there, but will not be a "manga classic" for the characters, the drawing or similar.
Jul 24, 2019 8:49 AM

Jul 2011
I really like SnK just as much as FMA but the community as a whole would probably kill you if you uttered this in a con. FMA has the hugest circlejerk this world has ever seen (It's really good, but come on).
Jul 24, 2019 11:03 AM

Oct 2013
PentagramShogoki said:
I really like Attack on Titan, but it is far from being as great as other mangas like Berserk, Monster or Kingdom. It has many clichés combined, and makes it a normal manga. I personally like the story and I am following it now with burning passion, and it might become one of the most well known mangas out there, but will not be a "manga classic" for the characters, the drawing or similar.

Perhaps the manga wont be getting that type of praise because a lot of persons are not a fan of Isayama drawing skills, but the anime definitely have a good shot though of being regarded as a classic. Season 3 part 2 has definitely put it in that direction and it just need to have a good final season to seal the deal.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Mar 27, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Oct 6, 2015

132 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 17, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 72 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ana - Aug 6, 2015

119 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 16, 9:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 69 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

peskylemur25 - May 2, 2015

127 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 5, 8:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.