Forum Settings
Forums

Is there a show that you are really glad you didn't drop?

New
Jun 25, 2019 9:15 PM

Feb 2019
This might be a repetitive topic, but I'm giving Bakemonogatari another chance right now after dropping it the first time that around ep 3. Now at ep 5, I'm so glad that I chose to push through the beginning because this is very good.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 25, 2019 9:41 PM

Apr 2019
Nagi no Asukara - I think I dropped it 3 times everytime and always picked it up again. Finished it on my 4th try. It was one of my favorites ever since.

It's probably boring for those who don't like Romance/Drama.
But it's an AOTY material for those who do.

Jun 25, 2019 9:43 PM

Apr 2019
I'm so glad I gave Sangatsu no Lion another chance. The first episode felt so slow and underwhelming, so I dropped it. I also didn't like the art style when I first watched it. After rewatching it like a year after, I realized how great and unique the anime was actually. It then became one of my favorite animes of all time.
Jun 25, 2019 9:52 PM
Jan 2019
The classic FMA from 2003. Thought it was boring at first, but got into it later, which lead me to watch Brotherhood, which is the best thing to ever exist in this world.
Jun 25, 2019 9:56 PM
Jul 2018
Made in Abyss. I dropped it after ep 5 the first time. Then almost dropped it around ep 7 again. I couldn't understand why it was so popular because the story was in no way doing anything spectacular. Then ep 10 hit.
Jun 25, 2019 10:00 PM

Feb 2019
-Shinzo said:
Nagi no Asukara - I think I dropped it 3 times everytime and always picked it up again. Finished it on my 4th try. It was one of my favorites ever since.

Thanks for the recommendation, romance/drama is one of my favorite genres. I’ll check this out after I finish the monogatari series (which will take awhile)
Jun 25, 2019 11:57 PM

Oct 2010
Dragonaut, it's only ecchi, some action and weird cgi but I'm glad I didn't drop it, the drama become nice to watch after a while and characters die.
Jun 26, 2019 12:12 AM
Jun 2019
MONSTER ...First few ep were just boring...But I still continued and I am happy that I watched it till the end.....
Jun 26, 2019 12:24 AM
Nov 2017
There are a lot, of course.

1. Steins Gate - it's so slow, but just because everyone said it's good, I'm forcing myself to watch it until to the point where it just become one of the best anime.

2. Monster - hell, this is more painful than Steins Gate. At least I have to force myself for 30-40 episodes to see the interesting part.

3. One Punch Man - Well, it's not too bad, but the first episode just made me want to drop it. I wasn't sure how this will goes, I thought it will be the same joke over and over where the MC just One Punch the monster.

4. Bakemonogatari - I wasn't into it at first, but somehow I kinda enjoy it after a few episodes.

5. Mushishi - One of the best anime in my opinion. It is of course the same thing and it is not a continued story, but the more a understand the character behind it, the more I enjoy the show.
Jun 26, 2019 3:34 AM

Sep 2017
I once dropped Psycho Pass on the 2nd or 3rd episode. It was just boring. But I'm glad I gave it a second try because the whole show becomes much more interesting as soon as Makishima shows up.
Jun 26, 2019 3:38 AM

Jan 2009
Planet With - the direction and execution is boring but i enjoy how the story telling is very rich like it told a lot of story and action in just 12 episodes
Jun 26, 2019 3:40 AM

Jul 2016
School Days. The visuals were shaky at the start, but then it became better later on.
Jun 26, 2019 3:43 AM

Mar 2018
Lucky Star. I seriously considered to drop it at first episode when they were talking about how to eat a fucking chocolate cornet but I bared it. It became funner and funner with more casts and now it's one of my favorite CGDCT shows.

Jun 26, 2019 3:52 AM

Mar 2015
Kaiji. I actually dropped it a couple times before finishing the second episode. Super glad I didn't drop it, because it became one of my favorite anime.

Uchuu Kyoudai. I got to about episode 44 and thought it got super boring. So glad I continued watching, it got 10x better after a couple of episodes. It also became one of my favorite anime.

Monster. Watched maybe 10 episodes a few years ago and dropped it because it was boring. I decided I needed to watch it though and picked it back up in 2016ish.

Major. Stopped at the 5th season because it got a little slow and I didn't feel like finishing it. Decided I wouldn't drop it and powered through the 6th. Ended up being one of my favorite seasons.

woah there
Jun 26, 2019 4:16 AM

Jun 2017
Hinamatsuri comes to my mind. The first 3 or 4 episodes focused on supernatural comedy and I didn't like them but after that it became a SoL comedy and I think it's one of the best for its genre
Jun 26, 2019 4:26 AM

Feb 2013
It will be as mentioned before Monster, also Rurouni Kenshin and Kemono no Soujya Erin
Jun 26, 2019 4:35 AM

Mar 2019
I had Astarotte's Toy on hold for a while and eventually finished it and it got better and I'm glad I did because if I had not I wouldn't have read the comic book source material which was a lot better.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 26, 2019 4:36 AM
Jul 2018
Legend of the galactic heroes, the first 20 episodes are really boring but it's incredible after that, it has become my second favourite anime so I'm glad I didn't drop it.
Jun 26, 2019 4:38 AM

Oct 2013
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
in the first episodes i tried to drop it completely , i give it another chance than it has become in my top greatest anime of all time.
Jun 26, 2019 4:41 AM

Dec 2014
Rakudai Kishi no Calvary, I thought it would be another generic magical highschool anime and it kind of was but the execution was good and it was enjoyable.

Big Order, I might have missed out on the greatest comedy of our time.

Kenja no Mago because it's hilarious how bad this show is, the main antagonist literally has no reason to even interact with the protagonist much less fight him but I can't wait to see how they force this square peg into a round hole.
Jun 26, 2019 4:45 AM
Jul 2018
Neon Genesis Evangelion, tbh I dropped it twice before I finally finished the whole series and then it became one my favorite animes
Jun 26, 2019 4:48 AM

Jan 2018
bakemonogatari because if I didn't get through that trash I wouldn't have watched kizumonogatari.

Also mob psycho 100 because I dropped it after episode 1 when it aired, though that was mainly due to my internet being trash when watching it. After season 2 it became one of my favourites.
Jun 26, 2019 4:49 AM

Mar 2015
I dropped BNHA for some reason at like ep 3. Picked it up later again and loved the shit out of it.
Jun 26, 2019 4:56 AM

Nov 2014
Glad I started watching again after dropping Scrapped Princess and Flip Flappers. The same, but already completed, Shoujo Kakumei Utena

And i already liked Mawaru Penguindrum and Steins;Gate from the start, but after the halfway point dear Lord i was glas i kept watching, because the shows stopped being good to became great.
Jun 26, 2019 5:05 AM

Nov 2011
Gintama, Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Mushishi.. None of them actually had a bad start (when rewatched them I was hooked up from the beginning), but it took times for me to appreciate their greatness, Mushishi especially ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 26, 2019 5:24 AM

Aug 2018
For me it would be Steins;Gate. It took me 3 restarts to even get past the first few episodes. It just felt so slow. But I committed to it on my third attempt and finally reached that episode. It was all down hill from there. I'm glad I kept watching, because it was a great anime.
Jun 26, 2019 5:48 AM

Jul 2011
Deduleadaa said:
Legend of the galactic heroes, the first 20 episodes are really boring but it's incredible after that, it has become my second favourite anime so I'm glad I didn't drop it.

Good to hear, I've already watched the first 20 episodes

For me it's Mawaru Penguindrum, I can't think of any other anime right now. I watched it back then when it was airing and didn't think so much of it, it'd been several years on my on-hold list until I decided to pick it up again and actually was quite impressed

Jun 26, 2019 5:54 AM

Jun 2014
I came really close to dropping "Kimagure Orange Road," but I'm glad that didn't, because after 12 or 13 episodes, I actually started to enjoy it.

It wasn't perfect by any means, but it wasn't bad either.

Jun 26, 2019 5:57 AM

Feb 2019
I had dropped 3-gatsu no Lion first season on the 17th episode, a few months later I picked it up again since there were only a few episodes left and I'm glad I did, because otherwise I wouldn't have watched the second season, one of my favorites.

I'm glad I stuck through the first two episodes of Asobi Asobase, because it became one of my favorite comedy series.

More recently, I'm glad I didn't drop the madness that was Sarazanmai, the best of spring season from what I've watched.
KosmonautJun 26, 2019 6:12 AM
Jun 26, 2019 6:05 AM

Mar 2018
I was planning on dropping The Tatami Galaxy after watching the first episode because they were talking to fast and I couldn't read the subtitles fast enough, that annoyed the crap out of me. But I didn't drop it and continued to watch it because it had a really high score on mal and now it is one of my favorite anime.
Evangelion is shit
Jun 26, 2019 6:22 AM

Sep 2014
Kobayashi Maid Dragon. Actually I did drop that one, found it not interesting, but gave it a second chance and found it pretty damn nice. The characters and the atmosphere is lovely.
Jun 26, 2019 7:42 AM

Nov 2015
I dropped the original Fate/stay night.

Picked it back up later after seeing scenes from the later adaptation of Unlimited Blade Works. Best decision ever, as I then went on to watch the entirety of the Fate franchise, and it remains one of my most favorite series.
Jun 26, 2019 7:59 AM

Apr 2019
Bakemonogatari, the first try I dropped it cause I realized that I wanted to watch another kind of show, maybe a month later I watched again and it became one of my favorites.

Tatamy Galaxy and Higurashi no naku koro ni are other examples.
Jun 26, 2019 8:03 AM
Jul 2018
I haven't seen this topic before, so I don't think it's repetitive.
I'm seriously glad I didn't drop Monster, which I originally dropped in one of the earlier episodes, when I was watching it years ago; because now it's my favorite anime of all time (although I don't know how it'll hold up if I watch it today).

@Gingko

I can understand Bakemonogatari, but I'm curious as to why you dropped Higurashi: I thought it's one of the easier anime to enjoy, especially the early episodes.
Jun 26, 2019 8:14 AM

Apr 2019
HopefulNihilist said:
I'm seriously glad I didn't drop Monster, which I originally dropped in one of the earlier episodes, when I was watching it years ago; because now it's my favorite anime of all time (although I don't know how it'll hold up if I watch it today).

@Gingko

I can understand Bakemonogatari, but I'm curious as to why you dropped Higurashi: I thought it's one of the easier anime to enjoy, especially the early episodes.

Well, Its easy to explain and understand. When I was around 19-20 years old I was a pretentious little bastard, so I watched the first episodes and I thought that it was just some kind of lazy written experimental show with no plot, like there wasnt a reason for the loop and it was just a bunch of bloody short stories with kawaii characters so I got mad after the first loop ended.
Jun 26, 2019 8:16 AM
Jul 2018
Gingko said:
HopefulNihilist said:

@Gingko

Well, Its easy to explain and understand. When I was around 19-20 years old I was a pretentious little bastard, so I watched the first episodes and I thought that it was just some kind of lazy written experimental show with no plot, like there wasnt a reason for the loop and it was just a bunch of bloody short stories with kawaii characters so I got mad after the first loop ended.

I was a kid when I first watched Higurashi. When the loop ended, and everything restarted, I remember just being confused, and wondering if I was watching the anime wrong or something.
Jun 26, 2019 8:19 AM
Aug 2018
Toaru no Majitsu no Index. I was about to drop it because certain elements were extremely generic and there was nothing really special about it, but then I decided to keep watching and ended up really liking it, generic or not.
Jun 26, 2019 8:22 AM

Apr 2019
HopefulNihilist said:
Gingko said:

I was a kid when I first watched Higurashi. When the loop ended, and everything restarted, I remember just being confused, and wondering if I was watching the anime wrong or something.

lmao, I think that was my first impression too, I tried to watch the anime in others web pages just in case.
Jun 26, 2019 8:32 AM
Aug 2018
-Shinzo said:

Haha same, but I still didn't try again to give it a chance.
Jun 26, 2019 8:35 AM
Jul 2018
Kaiji, it took me awhile to really get into it but once I did I ended up really enjoying it and watched Akagi right after it.
Mob Psych 100, I was unfamiliar with One's art style and the story as a whole going in so it was very jarring. In the end it became on of my favorite shows.
Other notable ones that I wasn't sure if I would enjoy are: Tsuritama, Usagi Drop, School Babysitters, and Tanaka-san is Always Listless.
Jun 26, 2019 9:36 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Gintama:
Even after all the bad episodes in the beginning it turned out really fine overal. Season 5 was good and season 4 in particulair was really great.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam:
Expected another one of the more boring Gundam spin-offs. After the first 10-13 episodes it turned out quite nice and I liked the idea behind it.
Jun 26, 2019 9:40 AM

May 2009
I was rather fed up with the fanservice in Absolute Duo early on, but I'm glad I stuck with it because the characters became pretty entertaining and the music is quite great. Plus I like the general sassy feel of the setting.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 26, 2019 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
higurashi and hxh. higurashi was so confusing at first and i dropped it a lot. probably more than 5 times lmao but i pushed through and now its been one of my favorites for years. for hxh i thought it was childish at first so i kept putting it on hold but wow its so good i regret not finishing it the first time
Jun 26, 2019 10:02 AM

Nov 2016
Black Clover comes first to mind currently. It was almost laughably bad during some parts at first, but I gradually started to enjoy it more and more once I warmed up with the characters and the plot has gotten interesting too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 26, 2019 10:03 AM

Mar 2016
I'm SO glad to have not dropped Madoka Magica after ep 3 back then, because it turned out as an extremely wonderful and amazing show.
Jun 26, 2019 11:13 AM

Aug 2011
The two that came to mind first are Monster and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I gave up on Monster around episode 12, then picked it back up months later, and was hooked within a few episodes. Now, I consider it my favorite anime. For Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, I found myself bored with it early on, since it was mostly covering content that the 2003 series has already covered, and for the most part, the 2003 series covered that content better. When I started watching it again months later, totally new content started within a few episodes, and it didn't take long before I was really enjoying it. And just like Monster, it became one of my all-time favorites in the end.

I'm sure there are many others, since I do drop or come close to dropping anime on a regular basis, but since both of these became favorites for me, I'm especially glad I gave them another chance.
Jun 26, 2019 11:27 AM
Mar 2019
Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii. I thoght in drop on firts eps, but after I thank God e didn´t.
Jun 26, 2019 11:29 AM

Oct 2013
Hard to choose, so I'll just say every anime I gave a 7 or higher.
Jun 26, 2019 11:45 AM
Jul 2016
gintama, i almost dropped it before the umibouzo arc but that arc made me stay.

steins gate, after 10 episodes, i stopped watching for about 2 weeks before continuing.
Jun 26, 2019 12:06 PM

Dec 2012
A couple that come to mind are:

Coyote Ragtime Show
Kiddy Grade
Mushishi
Witch Hunter Robin
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

70 by omorashi »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

210 by perseii »»
7 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

34 by joseifan »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

125 by logopolis »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

36 by Acctra »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.