Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 25, 2019 4:16 PM
Jan 2016
From what I've watched I believe Hellsing Ultimate has faithfully adapted the manga 100% the same, but that one is an OVa. Is there any good manga's that were adapted faithfully into an anime without cutting or changing things?
Jun 25, 2019 4:24 PM

Oct 2014
If you're operating under the assumption it's never happened to your knowledge because OVAs somehow preclude themselves from being an anime, that would be incorrect. Otherwise i have no dog in the fight as i don't read manga.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 25, 2019 4:32 PM

Sep 2014
And what about it being OVA? Is that a problem? The way I see it, that's only a positive thing. It blows any 2006 TV show out of the water in the production aspects, it's not even close.

I think there are plenty manga adaptations that are very faithful, but ones that are both faitfhul and finished, I don't know about that. I don't really read manga, but I think I would hear about that.
Jun 25, 2019 4:37 PM

Jun 2012
Anime that try to adapt panel-for-panel from Manga are not too uncommon among seasonals, but generally just come off lazy. There are a plethora of stylistic techniques used to enhance the experience visually that necessarily distance a show from its source, Hellsing Ultimate is no stranger here.
I think you're talking about the censorship of ideas, themes, and graphic content made for demographic purposes or simplifying digestion, but you should clarify. I suppose because we're talking 100% it's probably impossible, I don't have the stats here to guarantee that but anything from a voice actor's delivery to an odd sound track decision can change the tone of a scene significantly. Translation generates discontinuity, especially if you're talking written words to whatever bullshit Anime is. You also get to the point of picking over just how well the people working on the Anime understand the message or overlying idea of the source material. How can they adapt it faithfully if they don't understand it on a philosophical level? Maybe the major current of events will be traced, but if the intentionality is missing there's obviously going to be some role confusion over what to emphasize and how to express concepts and characterization.
OchimushaJun 25, 2019 4:45 PM
Jun 25, 2019 4:39 PM
Jan 2016
I'm not saying that being an OVA is a bad thing. Hellsing Ultimate is one of my favourite anime. But it's a question that I had because more often than not, people would say a particular show would've been so much better if it was adapted exactly like the manga.
Jun 25, 2019 4:40 PM

Jul 2017
Depends on what's considered 100% though? If you mean straight down to each dialogue being adapted, then no that's highly unlikely. If you mean major events being the same, then it could be. From what I recall, Gekkan Shoujo, D-Frag and Love Lab seemed to have adapted 100% from what they have adapted in their seasons (obviously can't adapt 100% completely cause the manga's are still going on)
Jun 25, 2019 4:41 PM

Jun 2012
Imaishi said:
And what about it being OVA? Is that a problem? The way I see it, that's only a positive thing. It blows any 2006 TV show out of the water in the production aspects, it's not even close.
I think the point of it being an OVA is that it isn't curated for a tv audience and all the rules of broadcasting. It's definitely a positive thing.
Jun 25, 2019 4:44 PM
Jan 2016
AtmosphericEntry said:
Anime that try to adapt panel-for-panel from Manga are not too uncommon among seasonals, but generally just come off lazy. There are a plethora of stylistic techniques used to enhance the experience visually that necessarily distance a show from its source, Hellsing Ultimate is no stranger here.
I think you're talking about the censorship of ideas, themes, and graphic content made for demographic purposes or simplifying digestion, but you should clarify. I suppose because we're talking 100% it's probably impossible, I don't have the stats here to guarantee that but anything from a voice actor's delivery to an odd sound track decision can change the tone of a scene significantly. Translation generates discontinuity, especially if you're talking written words to whatever bullshit Anime is.
AtmosphericEntry said:
I think you're talking about the censorship of ideas, themes, and graphic content made for demographic purposes or simplifying digestion, but you should clarify. I suppose because we're talking 100% it's probably impossible, I don't have the stats here to guarantee that but anything from a voice actor's delivery to an odd sound track decision can change the tone of a scene significantly. Translation generates discontinuity, especially if you're talking written words to whatever bullshit Anime is.

Having that in mind, what you're saying makes absolute sense. Sorry about not clarifying but in my mind it was themes, graphic content, and ideas.
Jun 25, 2019 4:45 PM
Jan 2016
AtmosphericEntry said:

Having that in mind, what you're saying makes absolute sense. Sorry about not clarifying but in my mind it was themes, graphic content, and ideas.
Jun 25, 2019 4:46 PM
Aug 2016
Your lie in April, Kuroko no Basket, ERASED and Monster, those are complete manga adaptations that came to my mind right now, but I'm not sure how faithful they are to thier source material as I haven't read any of them.
Jun 25, 2019 4:52 PM
Jan 2016
I have heard that Monster was adapted faithfully from the manga. Yeah I feel like throwing the 100% into the discussion was pushing it a bit lol.
Jun 25, 2019 5:09 PM
Dec 2017
from what i've seen i think One piece and one punch man are example where the anime follow the manga
Jun 25, 2019 5:10 PM

Dec 2012
More or Less:

Chobits
Crest of the Stars (the sequel Banner of the Stars was not fully adapted though)
Fate/Zero
Garden of Sinners
Midori Days
Monster
Planetes (the anime has extra content and a few of the final chapters were skipped but it's mostly there.)
KruszerJun 25, 2019 5:20 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 25, 2019 5:25 PM

May 2016
Not sure 100% but death note was pretty faithful to the manga.

anyway why they should go 100% with the main material everything has flows a lot of adapted manga's into anime have fixed those problems to make it even better.
Jun 25, 2019 5:51 PM

Aug 2018
Every Jojo part so far other than part 1 has a 100% faithful adaptation and by that I mean panel for panel everything is almost exactly the same
Jul 1, 2019 2:06 AM

Jul 2016
Ofc. Touch & Cross Game both adapt 100% of their manga, as well Mix:Meisei Story (so far). However, it depends on the production teams whether to adapt 100% of the manga or not.

Jul 1, 2019 2:31 AM

Jun 2010
Most anime do follow its parent story from the manga faithfully, perhaps with some minor adjustments in terms of presentation. Sometimes, the concern is relating to pacing. Unlike manga publication, which has the advantage of taking breaks in between, TV shows cannot stop airing unless the TV station is able to find other replacement show to fill up the air time. Therefore, if the anime show is catching up too fast to its manga, one of the ways is to create fillers which deviate from its parent story. Though there may exist filler stories, most adaptations do adhere to its story line most of the time. At other times, additional stories such as movies may be created due to directors/producers' creativity and/or for promotional, mechandise or marketing purposes.

I think one of the series that paces very well is Detective Conan. The TV series has not strayed away from its parent story. In fact every episode follows closely from the manga story and the series has been ongoing since 1994, that is 25 years. It's quite an achievement considering a longstanding story. :)
Jul 1, 2019 2:40 AM

Mar 2017
Fruits Basket (2019) is a fantasy-romance anime that will adapt entire manga.

Also, AoT S4 will conclude the story with manga ending as soon as Q1 2020.
Jul 1, 2019 2:40 AM

Feb 2019
Abosharaf said:
From what I've watched I believe Hellsing Ultimate has faithfully adapted the manga 100% the same, but that one is an OVa. Is there any good manga's that were adapted faithfully into an anime without cutting or changing things?

Monster's anime is basically the manga coloured and with sound and motion. It's the closest to 100% accurate adaptation you can get.
Jul 1, 2019 2:56 AM

Jan 2009
lol this is not uncommon thing heck Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is one if i remember right
Jul 1, 2019 3:16 AM

Dec 2009
Fruit Basket is getting the brotherhood treatment right now. AOT is going to get the last season next year.
JaemaeJul 1, 2019 6:17 AM
Jul 1, 2019 6:37 AM
Jul 2018
Honey and Clover got a full manga adaptation. In fact the manga ends at the first chapters of the final volume. Rest are extra stories

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

20 by BitChilly »»
1 minute ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 31 minutes ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 4 minutes ago

0 by Dominusew »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

29 by juanlqr »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 4 hours ago

13 by Ricchan__ »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.