Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 25, 2019 6:16 AM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
TL;DR: I have a theory that Raphalia not actually being as nice of a person as she's pretending to be in front of Naofumi because she behaves differently in front of him and doesn't really seem to follow her own words.

I know that a lot of people like Raphtalia as a character so I'm putting this disclaimer at the beginning. This is just a theory build from the small details about our raccoon girl, unexplained in the anime. I understand that it's probably just a poor script writing practice and it doesn't mean that Raphtalia is like that. I also do not criticise anyone for liking this character.

That being said, I noticed that Raphtalia's behaviour is changing significantly when Naofumi is not around. For example, in episode 22 she easily picks up a fight with a soldier on the banquet even tho she was claiming that she's against futile violence. You could say that she just grew confidence and learned to protect herself but she still puts this 'pure and innocent' act in front of Naofumi pretending that she didn't want this fight to happen. You could also say that she was mad at the soldier talking bad about Naofumi. That might be the case, yet she hesitated before killing the slave trader guy earlier. That person tortured hundreds of demi-humans including Raphtalia's fellow villagers. Whatever you say, this behaviour of her just seems hypocritical to me. As if she's trying to look better than she actually is.

At the end of the same episode, she is visiting her home village and her friend tells her that they should make sure that the village goes back to the way it used to be. Raphtalia responds with a vague 'yeah' and then just leaves the village behind following Naofumi. Of course, she is loyal to him and she can't leave him now, but she could do something for a village she was claiming to care so much about. Yet the only thing she did was paying a symbolic visit to Rifana's grave once in a while.

Talking about demi-humans, there is one more thing that was bothering me about their situation. Why did Raphtalia just forget about them? Of course, when Naofumi just bought her, she was still shocked and scared. But later on, she seemed to enjoy her life with him quite a lot. She knew what type of person Naofumi is, meaning that he wouldn't refuse help to those who need it. Yet she never told him about her fellow villagers being held captive? She never proposed him to go there and rescue them? Isn't it weird that she only remembered about them when they coincidentally ended up in that location? And then she just puts an act with all this drama about Rifana dying. Well, if Raphtalia would only remember about them earlier, she could save her.

It looks like Raphtalia is far from being as nice and kind as she’s trying to look in front of Naofumi. She’s probably just seeking to gain power rather than to help other people. Does she truly care about Naofumi or does she see him as a way to become a more powerful person? Or maybe she’s so obsessed with him that she’s trying to hide her darkest side from him, just so he won’t leave her alone.

I’m interested to hear what others think about it. Please, try to do so without hatred. Note that I’m not trying to show Raphtalia in a negative light. This theory actually makes me more interested in her character.
Jun 25, 2019 6:55 AM

Nov 2016
I noticed this thing about Raphtalia too actually. Especially with her behaviour towards Filo. When they are alone she is really often passive aggressive towards her other companion. And as you can explain that it's just because of the rivalry for the Naofumi, it still brings this feeling that she has indeed a dual nature. Because although she may be aggressive to Filo she won't show it next to Naofumi and will pretend that everything is alright. Same happened with the guard. When Naofumi is around, she can behave but once he is away she is starting a fight.

When you get Signature removed once again.
Jun 25, 2019 7:41 AM
Apr 2018
Well if the anime had faithfully adapted this wouldnt even be a question.
In the noble's house(ep14/15) after throwing him out of the window she says to naofumi that she isnt a good person as he thinks, obviously all this part (like naofumi's behaviour in the anime) has been cut and replaced with something that puts them in a good "light"
The problems with these changes is that it creates a dissonance with what they show next.
Jun 25, 2019 9:21 AM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
Blaze35 said:
Well if the anime had faithfully adapted this wouldnt even be a question.
In the noble's house(ep14/15) after throwing him out of the window she says to naofumi that she isnt a good person as he thinks, obviously all this part (like naofumi's behaviour in the anime) has been cut and replaced with something that puts them in a good "light"
The problems with these changes is that it creates a dissonance with what they show next.

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying this.
Some things in the story do indeed create dissonance with the volatile behaviour of some characters.
Jun 25, 2019 5:17 PM
Jun 2019
You raise some good points, taking into consideration that she is a raccoon(In Japan, tanukis are associated with deception, hence the light and dark magic affinity that allows her to stealth), but I don't think that is quite what is happening.

For starters, rather than Raphtalia's sole purpose being hunger for power, I believe her biggest concern is to be strong enough to protect those dear to her if with a slightly warped sense of justice. For example, on Ep. 3, we see that protecting Naofumi is a high priority as during the first Wave, if it had not been for Naofumi's quick thinking, a rain of fireball would have rained upon them. This made Raphtalia immediately turn hostile for Naofumi's safety. Likewise, on Ep. 22, she was merely "protecting" Naofumi's honor as the soldier was badmouthing him.

In regards to the whole arc of saving what was left of her town, we do not have a clear sense of how much time passed ever since the Wave without heroes struck and how much time she spent being tortured and then sold as a slave. Sure, it is weird that Raphtalia never mentioned anything about it, but this is part of Japanese culture where you deal with your mental health by yourself and only yourself, even the parents stay out of it. Naofumi only catches glimpses of it due her nightmares and behaviors and proceeds to connect the dots.

There are some reasons why Raphtalia never bothered telling Naofumi anything about her village. Preparing towards the waves, setting trade routes, no reason to call out the lord for Melromarc allows slave trading and exerts human supremacy, and overall being almost always hiding their presence and being on the move around. When the world is at stake, I do not think it is too far off to think she just forced herself to forget.

About the scumbag lord, in the manga and LNs she did not hesitate at all at slashing him. If anything, the anime has mellowed out their emotions to picture you them less edgy and seething in rage, which is not necessarily a bad thing. You could even argue that Raphtalia in this scenario wasn't selfish enough to take a life for herself.

The vague 'yeah' looks decisive to me. After everything is resolved I am sure this is the place where Raphtalia would more likely end up at. Of course there is no need to immediately do something about it, we know they have the lord Reichnott that is... probably a furry since he treats demi-humans very well in a human-supremacist kingdom.

All in all, Raphtalia is devoted to Naofumi as she owes him her life, health and everything. Sadly for her, Naofumi has had to take care of her in more ways than one. Ever since she peed the bed from when she was little do I see why Naofumi still sees treats her as a kid.
Jun 30, 2019 4:13 PM

Nov 2016
@Zevere You explained your points very well, and I can understand your way of thinking. However, just of sheer curiosity, I wanted to ask what about the fact that Raphtalia several times said that she would go to Naofumi’s word? She doesn’t really want to stay in the village anymore.

Also she was easily telling Naofumi about other her problems. Why would it be different for the village? It’s not so much about the mental issue, as the physical problem. It’s not about her, but about what other people are dealing with. It just seems to me that she just didn’t care that much as anime want us to believe. What would be fine in my opinion. Sometimes you need to think only about yourself in harsh world.

When you get Signature removed once again.
Jul 2, 2019 3:37 PM
May 2019
Thats what we call character progress..her way of thinking is changing. She loves Naofumi and would never harm him or Filo...She is protective since she has lost everything once...and dont want to lose again. When she attacked the knight it was to protect Naofumi. She is adorable.
Jul 4, 2019 1:45 PM
Jun 2019
Kuriko-san said:
@Zevere You explained your points very well, and I can understand your way of thinking. However, just of sheer curiosity, I wanted to ask what about the fact that Raphtalia several times said that she would go to Naofumi’s word? She doesn’t really want to stay in the village anymore.

Also she was easily telling Naofumi about other her problems. Why would it be different for the village? It’s not so much about the mental issue, as the physical problem. It’s not about her, but about what other people are dealing with. It just seems to me that she just didn’t care that much as anime want us to believe. What would be fine in my opinion. Sometimes you need to think only about yourself in harsh world.

I would just conjecture that Naofumi has very little reason to think he can take Raphtalia with him.

As for now, either he succeeds in being a hero or straight dies in order to return to his world. I do not think we have any information about bringing companions at this point, especially on death.

And indeed, Raphtalia's character regarding her past is a bit out of place. She showed no remorse or guilt when Naofumi was babysitting her.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

236 by SanessyAdversary »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2019

292 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

270 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2019

355 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 22, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2019

190 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 22, 6:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.