Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 24, 2019 8:45 AM

Nov 2009
there is too much variation within the slice of life genre to hate all of them.
Jun 24, 2019 8:49 AM

Nov 2009
Vazka said:
I barely have watched any slice of life anime. But the one I have watched (Hyouka) was so fucking boring I dropped it after 2 episodes.

Welcome to the NHK and Koe no Katachi are SoL anime. You gave both a 9.

Gintama and Cowboy Bebop have strong SoL qualities. 9 and 10 respectively.

I think the issue is that a lot of critics just don't realize that SoL is a versatile format.
Jun 24, 2019 8:50 AM
Feb 2016
I used to believe that slice of life is boring, avoiding a lot of anime because of it. But because of the stress of school when I wanted to watch anime I didn’t want something that was super engaging to the point where it became a distraction, so I tried a slice of life. It completely changed my opinion on the genre because slice of life animes are super relaxing to me. I love the genre now, and tend to save slice of life animes for school or as a palette cleanser between animes.
Jun 24, 2019 8:50 AM

Mar 2019
If it's Iyashikei it's not necessarily boring
JakkunJun 24, 2019 9:53 PM
Jun 24, 2019 9:12 AM

Nov 2016
84DaysWithout said:
Vazka said:
I barely have watched any slice of life anime. But the one I have watched (Hyouka) was so fucking boring I dropped it after 2 episodes.

I think the issue is that a lot of critics just don't realize that SoL is a versatile format.

Welcome to the NHK is a psychological drama and Koe no Katachi is a rom-drama, classifying them as SoL doesn't seem right, even kinda misleading.

Slice of life elements and slice of life narrative are two different things. A show can be tagged slice of life, but that doesn't say much. You can't compare Sakurasou which is a rom-com, with drama, themes about self growth or pursuing your goals with Non Non Biyori or Barakamon which embrace the plain daily life, or in other words, with a slice of life in it's purest form. Imo only those "pure" shows should be labeled specifically as slice of life.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 24, 2019 9:15 AM

Mar 2017
people who don't like SoL don't have a life
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Jun 24, 2019 9:26 AM

Nov 2009
FMmatron said:
84DaysWithout said:

Welcome to the NHK is a psychological drama and Koe no Katachi is a rom-drama, classifying them as SoL doesn't seem right, even kinda misleading.

Slice of life elements and slice of life narrative are two different things. A show can be tagged slice of life, but that doesn't say much. You can't compare Sakurasou which is a rom-com, with drama, themes about self growth or pursuing your goals with Non Non Biyori or Barakamon which embrace the plain daily life, or in other words, with a slice of life in it's purest form. Imo only those "pure" shows should be labeled specifically as slice of life.

The narratives of Welcome to the NHK and Koe no Katachi are structured around authentic experiences of social anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts and disorders that cause a person to be othered in a community. Romantic dramas often have strong parallels to SoL. in the context of NHK where Satou is modeled after the stereotypical shut in NEET the psychological tag is related to the authenticity of his depiction.

I understand not considering Bebop a SoL. But NHK and KnK are absolutely that to me.
Jun 24, 2019 9:51 AM

Nov 2016
84DaysWithout said:
FMmatron said:

The narratives of Welcome to the NHK and Koe no Katachi are structured around authentic experiences of social anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts and disorders that cause a person to be othered in a community. Romantic dramas often have strong parallels to SoL. in the context of NHK where Satou is modeled after the stereotypical shut in NEET the psychological tag is related to the authenticity of his depiction.

I understand not considering Bebop a SoL. But NHK and KnK are absolutely that to me.

I think you're misinterpreting the meaning of slice of life.

Here a random definition
an example of what ordinary life is like : something (such as a story or movie) that shows what ordinary life is like The story is/shows/presents a slice of life in a small Midwestern town.

It's true that welcome to the NHK and Koe no Katachi have slice of life elements, but their defined themes and the narrative focussed on portraying them are overshadowing it.

By your logic I could call any anime a slice of life as long as it depicts something in an authentic manner. But it wouldn't make any sense with regard to the definition of the term slice of life.

You can still think of NHK and Koe as slice of anime for all I care, but quoting the other guy saying that he enjoyed slice of life anime, even tho they obviously had much more going on, that doesn't make much sense imo.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 24, 2019 9:54 AM

Jun 2012
In this thread I ask a general question which has a varying answer depending on the person answering said question. There is close to no room for discussion other than the responses from the people whom explain their point of view, the people whom can't give an answer without sounding like a massive tool, and the people whom feel the need for senseless argument.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 24, 2019 10:13 AM

Nov 2009
FMmatron said:
84DaysWithout said:

Here a random definition
an example of what ordinary life is like : something (such as a story or movie) that shows what ordinary life is like The story is/shows/presents a slice of life in a small Midwestern town.

It's true that welcome to the NHK and Koe no Katachi have slice of life elements, but their defined themes and the narrative focussed on portraying them are overshadowing it.

By your logic I could call any anime a slice of life as long as it depicts something in an authentic manner. But it wouldn't make any sense with regard to the definition of the term slice of life.

You can still think of NHK and Koe as slice of anime for all I care, but quoting the other guy saying that he enjoyed slice of life anime, even tho they obviously had much more going on, that doesn't make much sense imo.

I am not. The themes of both NHK and KnK are authentic to elements of ordinary life. You claim that romantic drama disqualifies KnK from being SoL, but since when is that not a function of life? What perspectives are NHK analyzing from a psychological standpoint? Are they real or imagined? Is the hikikomori perspective not socially relevant to modern Japan?

I don't understand at all what you mean by overshadowing. Realism is embedded into the structure of the narratives.

>By your logic I could call any anime a slice of life as long as it depicts something in an authentic manner. But it wouldn't make any sense with regard to the definition of the term slice of life.

No, you could not. I already listed Bebop as an example of an anime that is not necessarily SoL but has elements relational to such. I don't think Carole and Tuesday is Sol despite it having elements relational to the genre. These are not at all similar to NHK and KnK where you don't have to suspend your disbelief to engage into the narrative.

"Much more going on" doesn't disqualify an anime from being SoL if the "much more going on" is all within the realm of realism. That guy doesn't realize that he likes some SoL anime.
Jun 24, 2019 10:14 AM

Apr 2013
SOL is like the Ambient of the Anime medium. It is on the relaxing side but there's not a lot of build up, changes, or epic climaxes to these genres yet as a stan of Ambient and SOL I know that for both of these genres you must have a patient and gentle soul. If you prefer high paced action driven stuff ofc you would find SOL and its sub-genres boring.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jun 24, 2019 10:20 AM

Mar 2019
Gator said:
But especially after watching Non Non Biyori I understood that it can just be really calming and funny at the same time. Now it's actually one of my favourite genres, especially paired with comedy and maybe even ecchi :3
Comedy is how it is indeed not boring. Most serialized comedies are slice-of-life. One watches to laugh, not for the plot.

But slice of life without being primarily humor-focused or at least something to draw the viewer in in the absence of a plot is indeed just boring.

And comedy-drama is also an excellent genre. See my avatar; Boston Legal is a masterpiece of absurdist comedy mixing in very serious political themes; yes — a typical Boston Legal episode is too absurd to possibly be true but it somehow references serious political matter and its political commentary is not at all ruined by the absurdist even fourth-wall breaking humor it enjoys to employ.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 24, 2019 10:43 AM

May 2009
Eww Slice-of-life hate
Why would anyone willingly bash an anime in that sort of fashion is beyond me.
Just watch it for characterization or personal relaxation or if you must spend your time picking out the details of the setting and artwork it is so much better that way.

When ever I whach a crazy show that just packs too much action or plot I need to listen to ruminate on the show for at least for 2 weeks just so my brain can heal.
And if you still wish to hate on slice-of-life may the god have a mercy on you soul.

(copypasta template source)

okay, serious answer

EvilUnicorn said:
What are your thoughts do you find it BORING(WHY?) or do you find it RELAXING and ENGAGING like I DO(it is my FAVORITE GENRE)?
It's not my favorite genre but I definitely do like elements of it, particularly its focus on atmosphere and giving things like story events and characterization the time to sink in and time for the audience to reflect on things.

Doesn't mean fast pacing is bad; I like a balanced mix of both. Some of my favorite stories have more slice-of-life-y early episodes because they take that time to set up various details and story elements, and the tension/pacing ramps up at the end of the show/season/arc because that's when stuff comes together and happens.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 24, 2019 10:44 AM

Jun 2019
I guess it depends on the show.
Anime like Nana , And Great teacher onizuka, Mob Psycho are good slice of life anime.

But something like K-ON, Lucky Star, Yuru Camp, A Place Further than the Universe are not cause they don't have a substance they are just slice of nothing so they bore me to death.
AncapAnimeGodJun 24, 2019 11:23 AM
Jun 24, 2019 10:46 AM

Jun 2019
red-tomato said:
people who don't like SoL don't have a life

People who don't like people who don't like SoL don't have a life.
Jun 24, 2019 10:54 AM
Dec 2017
Slice of life are n't boring .
the guys who made those video are just salty , or too stupid to inderstand the purpose of Slice of life anime , you should avoid lisetning
there is always great SOL anime like :
Barakamon
your lie in april
Maid sama
Oregairu
Welcome to NHK
Usagi drop
anyone could easily see how good those anime are Unless they are biased shounen or seinen fanboys
Jun 24, 2019 10:57 AM

Oct 2013
It depends how relatable and realistic they are. NANA is the only SoL that I felt for so far.

SoL harems on the other hand are a complete different genre x) it seems like people yearn for harems, because perhaps its quite unrealistic and makes them escape into another wishful world and appreciate it?
<3
Jun 24, 2019 10:58 AM
Apr 2017
Like every other genre out there, there are good SOL shows and garbage SOL shows. I have a few that are amongst my favourites and a couple that I loathe entirely. I don't find anything inherently wrong with the genre itself, to be honest.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jun 24, 2019 10:58 AM

Apr 2018
Most people who say that have seen like, 2 of them lol

The potential of that genre to have a heartfelt and down-to-earth story is basically unlimited.
Jun 24, 2019 11:02 AM

May 2018
-Shinzo said:

It does contain mysteries and logic, yes, but it does very little to the progression of the story.
They solve a mystery, and they go to a new one that's not even connected to the last. It's just, solve this/solve that for the sake of solving.

Those miseries are 80% of the story also some characterisation in them.

-Shinzo said:
If you look at Death Note/Monster/ERASED : Whenever they solve a problem, it leads to the next evidence, then it leads to the next one, that would keep you guessing, then that would eventually lead to the climax. That's what makes it all the more enjoyable.

It's an episodic show. Not every story is suitable for long form continuation.
You can look at detective classics like Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Father Brown ect. - all of them episodic.
Also don't let me start describe describing the faults of Erased or how little sense made the central plot of Monster - it's goods points were the characters and how twisted everything was not the finished picture. Even if you look close enough, ignore the watered down narration and untangle the plot treds you will see it's actually episodic.

-Shinzo said:
I don't mind strong narratives, as long as it develops the story. I don't want to think/read all that stuff just for them to explain how their days went.

But this has nothing to do with sol - Hyouka actually has way less things to say in comparison for example to Nodame Cantabile...and both are about young people studying and finding their path in life.

-Shinzo said:
Again, I don't hate SOL. I just find it boring when there's little to no progression on the story or characters.

No progression in Working?
Jun 24, 2019 11:02 AM
Jul 2018

Not gonna lie, as someone who owns every volume of Yuru Camp, it would be a hundred times better if it were YURI camp.
Jun 24, 2019 11:05 AM

Feb 2019
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

Not gonna lie, as someone who owns every volume of Yuru Camp, it would be a hundred times better if it were YURI camp.
We need that Yuri Camp spin-off right now, the people have spoken.
Jun 24, 2019 11:06 AM
Dec 2017
AncapAnimeGod said:
Anime like Nana , And Great teacher onizuka, Mob Psycho are good slice of life anime.

But something like K-ON, Lucky Star, Yuri Camp, Adventure to South Pole are not cause they don't have a substance they are just slice of nothing so they bore me to death.

How old are you ? how much did you drink before you wrote that reply? or you are just a Troll ?
do you even bother yourself to do a simple research
mob psycho isn't a Slice of life LOL
Jun 24, 2019 11:20 AM

Jun 2019
Issmail22Lawfy said:
AncapAnimeGod said:

But something like K-ON, Lucky Star, Yuri Camp, Adventure to South Pole are not cause they don't have a substance they are just slice of nothing so they bore me to death.

How old are you ? how much did you drink before you wrote that reply? or you are just a Troll ?

Are you always this dumb or is a today a special occasion.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/32182/Mob_Psycho_100

One look at it's page on MAL and it is clearly evident that Mob Psycho is indeed a Slice of Life anime.
Learn2Read Dumbass before you start criticizing others.

Jun 24, 2019 11:33 AM
Dec 2017
[quote=AncapAnimeGod message=57852474]
Issmail22Lawfy said:
AncapAnimeGod said:

Are you always this dumb or is a today a special occasion.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/32182/Mob_Psycho_100

One look at it's page on MAL and it is clearly evident that Mob Psycho is indeed a Slice of Life anime.

are you 5 years old ? that you still think every thing you read on this site is right.

in case you dont know and i'm sure you are too stupid to know this ( Supernatural anime are n't considered as Slice of life because they have SUPERNATURAL ELEMENTS ).

now go do some researsh about Slice of life Dumbass
Jun 24, 2019 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
AncapAnimeGod said:

"Adventure to South Pole."

Bloody hell...
Jun 24, 2019 11:41 AM

Jun 2019
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
AncapAnimeGod said:

"Adventure to South Pole."

Bloody hell...

He edited it to correct the name of Sora Yori but @Issmail22Lawfy had already quoted him lmao

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Jun 24, 2019 11:57 AM

Jun 2017
I dont care much about ehat people think of Sol animes.I love watching them.They help to lighten the mood anytime u atch them
Jun 24, 2019 12:07 PM

Feb 2012
"Slice of life" and some associated genres are the slow turtles. They have durability that once in a lifetime epics lack. It's not surprising the genre is preferred among older people with slow metabolism.
Jun 24, 2019 12:38 PM
Mar 2018
At the end of the day it boils down to. I like SOL overall, but just because a series is going to be classed as SOL, that doesn't mean I'm going to like.
However my favorite anime "Cowboy Bebop" might as well be considered a SOL series even if it isn't classified as one. It has a lot of the elements of a SOL series, it's just the crew of the Bebop happen to have more interesting lives than your every-day run of the mill Highschool student.
Jun 24, 2019 12:46 PM

Oct 2014
People who think slice of life are boring are just people who it doesn't fit their taste. Every genre is boring to some people. I find action stuff boring, in fact a lot of people complain about "shounenshit" and how repetitive and bland it is. Anything can be boring if done poorly, but if you don't like that genre then most anime in are are boring to be boring to you even if they're done well.

Watching a bit of that video it's pretty cringy. He acts like slice of life anime are somehow destined to be more boring than the average genre, even though that's clearly not the case. Every slice of life anime has a story of some sort, but that generally isn't the focus. When the story is the focus it would generally fit better into the "drama" genre. This doesn't mean drama anime are automatically better than true slice of life just because they put more emphasis on story, they're just made for different purposes.

In Western media generally movies get used for anything with a story while TV series are often slice of life. The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, and pretty much every Disney sitcom I've seen doesn't focus much at all on the story or even intentionally avoids giving itself one for the purpose of prolonging the series. This is not a flaw in them at all because it's comedy and character interactions that give them substance. Some anime with the story taking the light ignore the idea of giving the characters any real meaning and it ends up being a lot more boring than a show about people just chilling.

Gintama is one of the most popular anime out there and it's slice of life most of the time, at least in the first 100 episodes. People don't love it because of the occasional serious arcs that make the "boring" slice of life episodes worth sitting through, they generally like it because of all the great comedy and interactions between well written characters. It's an anime that people generally don't complain about episodes not contributing to the plot of the series because they're so enjoyable in their own right.
zombie_pegasusJun 24, 2019 12:58 PM
Jun 24, 2019 1:03 PM

Oct 2015
SoL is such a vague term that doesnt really mean much imo since there are so many different types of shows in this "genre"

Working SoL - Uchuu Kyoudai, Shirobako etc
Comedy - Lucky Star, Nichijou etc
Relaxing - Yuru Camp, Aria etc
Episodic/supernatural - Mushishi, Natsume etc
Romance - Clannad Toradora etc
Character development - 3 Gatsu, Usagi Drop etc
Mystery - Hyouka, Haruhi etc

I definitely dont find them boring but i do remember being a noob and wondering why an anime about a girl band (K-On) was so popular since Id only tried action stuff at the time. I imagine anyone saying its boring either hasnt tried it or only likes action stuff.
Jun 24, 2019 1:12 PM

Mar 2018
Not at all. Slife of Life is like an ice breaker for all the shounen, mecha, isekai, etc. etc. that pops out every season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2019 1:21 PM

Oct 2015
Action scenes are the lowest common denominator of entertainment. Most people like it or at least don't mind it. Probably because of the competitive nature of humans we're engrossed when two parties go up against each other with clear winners and losers. Aspects that are pertaining to SoL isn't as widely appreciated for fairly obvious reasons. It's no wonder why the latter is considered boring by more people than the former.

OT: Oh right, that wasn't the question. It's personally my favorite genre and one I feel strongly about.
Auron_Jun 24, 2019 1:35 PM
Jun 24, 2019 1:59 PM

Nov 2018
I think its boring when nothing really happens, like an anime about going to school and doing stuff with friends? Thx but thats my life anyways, why would I watch it? When I watch anime I do it to forget about the day to day life and I dont want to watch someone else living pretty much the same life I do. That said I certainly enjoy a slice of life with a decent amount of comedy
Jun 24, 2019 2:10 PM

Dec 2013
I used to think it's boring but then I went to Japan... Living in a foreign country was quite stressful, so when I came home I would just put on a slice of life show where nothing happens and relax.

Now that I'm back, it's not a part of my routine anymore but I still occasionally watch some when I'm tired.
Jun 24, 2019 2:26 PM

Mar 2016
Anything can be boring. It doesn't even necessarily have to do with taste, your mood/mindset at the time is a huge factor too.

Often the people that say stuff like this are so close minded about what makes something 'entertaining' that what they like, and how they talk about it, ends up being super boring. So I don't have much sympathy.

MobyDictionary said:
Not at all. Slife of Life is like an ice breaker for all the shounen, mecha, isekai, etc. etc. that pops out every season.

Yeah, man, all that mecha.
syncrogazerJun 24, 2019 2:31 PM
Jun 24, 2019 2:45 PM

Nov 2016
84DaysWithout said:
FMmatron said:

Here a random definition

I am not. The themes of both NHK and KnK are authentic to elements of ordinary life. You claim that romantic drama disqualifies KnK from being SoL, but since when is that not a function of life? What perspectives are NHK analyzing from a psychological standpoint? Are they real or imagined? Is the hikikomori perspective not socially relevant to modern Japan?

I don't understand at all what you mean by overshadowing. Realism is embedded into the structure of the narratives.

>By your logic I could call any anime a slice of life as long as it depicts something in an authentic manner. But it wouldn't make any sense with regard to the definition of the term slice of life.

No, you could not. I already listed Bebop as an example of an anime that is not necessarily SoL but has elements relational to such. I don't think Carole and Tuesday is Sol despite it having elements relational to the genre. These are not at all similar to NHK and KnK where you don't have to suspend your disbelief to engage into the narrative.

"Much more going on" doesn't disqualify an anime from being SoL if the "much more going on" is all within the realm of realism. That guy doesn't realize that he likes some SoL anime.

Ok, let me rephrase it then. I never said that Koe no Katachi or NHK aren't slice of life, just that labelling them as such is misleading, partly slice of life seems more appropriate. There are tons of shows which have slice of life as a subgenre or they incoperate some elements, but it's not the selling point. And I'm more for distinguishing between the anime that are grounded on real life logic, especially in such a thread and within this context where you said Vazka enjoyed slice of life anime, even tho they don't even represent what the "genre" is all about. Slice of life is ambitiounless storytelling where you usually keep the status quo, while NHK and Koe no Katachi reach a climax through their runtime.

For instance, Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru also fits the criteria, it's bound by realism and portrays the daily life of a track team. My disbelief wasn't suspended yet it's classified as sports and drama.

Or Bakuman. It's about 2 upstarting mangaka. Also authentic to elements of daily life, but the battle shounen-esque tropes and elements overshadow the slice of life portion, it's present yet not part of main appeal.

So no, I wouldn't say he likes some slice of life, but he likes some anime with slice of life.

Jun 24, 2019 2:52 PM
Nov 2016
From my experience
Slice of life is my favorite genre
Simply because I find it more enjoyable
I don't really watch anime for a storyline or its action scenes
Jun 24, 2019 3:41 PM

Jun 2019
I find slice of life anime rather enjoyable than boring. My personal favorites are Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, K-On, Squidgirl, Love Live, Himouto and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.
Danzig87Jun 24, 2019 4:04 PM
Jun 24, 2019 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
He should shut up and watch Kamichu or Niea_7
Jun 24, 2019 4:05 PM

Aug 2018
I heard this a lot , but I haven't really watched any slice of life that was boring

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Jun 24, 2019 4:17 PM

May 2017
Any slice of life that is nothing but daily life documentation is an automatic no to me.
Shows like Kobayashi have the dragons trying to adapt to human society, learn new things and communicate with others are great. Senko-san is the kind of show that makes me burn out in just a few episodes because it's nothing but getting spoiled by an FBI bait.
「ボクは…確かに現実に絶望している。だけど、自分には絶望していない!! 今がつまらないか…楽しいのか…平凡なのか…決めているのは現実じゃない。決めるのはボクだ!!ボクが望めば不可能はない!!」-桂木桂馬
"True, I've given up on the real world. However, I haven't given up on myself!! The world doesn't get to decide whether my life is boring, fun, or ordinary because that's my decision to make!! As long as I have the will, nothing is impossible!!" -Katsuragi Keima
Jun 24, 2019 4:30 PM

Jun 2019
Everything is boring to someone if boredom just means a lack of interest in something causing a viewer/reader/listener to space out, daydream, or otherwise disengage. Some people are definitely more easily bored and selective in their interests in others, but there will always be people who dislike any given genre.

First of all, just as any show isn't typically purely one genre of this or that (Like just action with no drama or horror or sci-fi or comedy), a lot of Slice of Life's are also mixed with other genres, such as romance, drama, or comedy, or even something more out there. You can even have a (low/modern or high) fantasy hybrid. I think I tend to appreciate the ones blended with other genres the most, not because I need more plot, but because they show the contrast of Slice of Life against a seemingly incongruent backdrop and allow it to shine even more.

Sora no Woto, a show I just finished within the past few weeks, fits this description. It is of the military genre, a war story, set in a post-apocalyptic Earth centuries into the future with the planet undergoing devastation and rapid desertification.....and it's also a Slice of Life. How? A skilled hand can do it and bring it out effectively, because there's Slice of Life in every story. Most just aren't sufficiently slowed down to show us.

As for Slice of Life, it isn't boring to me at all. I'd even go as far as to say it's easily one of my favorite genres, but that doesn't mean I readily and blindly embrace all Slice of Life regardless of quality. Looking at two out of my top three anime, two are classified as Slice of Life and given that genre tag. One is mixed with the drama, romance, and psychological genres and the other with fantasy.

Some folks believe life is only worthwhile and exciting when everything is heightened and accelerated to a fever pitch to make them experience the most extreme things at the fastest tempo. Others of us consider there to be inherent value in the slower more meandering path, in slowing down the world at times just to watch the dew collect on blades of grass or in long and introspective conversations over biscuits and tea, marveling at and basking in the power and embrace of thought and creation itself.

Slice of Life excels because it is a snapshot of the kind of interactions and exchanges, small moments, points of worry or tension or frustration, times of relaxation, and all the other little bits that are more relatable and more commonly found in real life, even if they are transposed to a medieval kingdom, a warzone, or a place the average person wouldn't give a second thought to in regular life. They slow the world down for an opportunity to reflect on and bask in these moments (this can be intellectually rewarding, rewarding in a sensory/pleasure sense, etc.) which gives richness and meaning and novelty and diversity and character to life itself.

They don't rely either so much or at all on a plot but let great characters be great characters and allow moments to happen in more naturalistic fashion. This has a mirror effect as its results and success depend on the people involved, mirroring actual life in this way. If you have great characters, it's inspiring, maybe even providing a calm and contemplative environment for you to immerse yourself fully and reflect on issues relevant to your own life. Or to join along for something heartwarming that you find reminds you why it's a great gift to be alive and human.

It can remind you to draw and look for beauty from the littlest discoveries, interactions, and experiences, enriching your own life. It's literally life-affirming by instilling value in these facets of everyday life for most people, maybe encouraging some to cherish what they've taken for granted or seek out what they're lacking. And that's more attainable to most than a mythical quest for a sword or an apocalyptic battle on a planetary scale.

So it comes down to the characters. Do they make what once seemed mundane appealing? Are their dynamics and interactions genuine and unique and moving? Because when it's so, a Slice of Life show can not only be the best of its own genre, but epitomize the best of this medium.
WatchTillTandavaJun 24, 2019 4:35 PM
Jun 24, 2019 4:38 PM

Apr 2015
If it doesnt have genres like Drama or Romance i will found them really boring. Like if its only Slice of life and Comedy then i will probably be really bored watching them.
Jun 24, 2019 5:13 PM

Nov 2009
FMmatron said:
84DaysWithout said:

Ok, let me rephrase it then. I never said that Koe no Katachi or NHK aren't slice of life, just that labelling them as such is misleading, partly slice of life seems more appropriate. There are tons of shows which have slice of life as a subgenre or they incoperate some elements, but it's not the selling point. And I'm more for distinguishing between the anime that are grounded on real life logic, especially in such a thread and within this context where you said Vazka enjoyed slice of life anime, even tho they don't even represent what the "genre" is all about. Slice of life is ambitiounless storytelling where you usually keep the status quo, while NHK and Koe no Katachi reach a climax through their runtime.

For instance, Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru also fits the criteria, it's bound by realism and portrays the daily life of a track team. My disbelief wasn't suspended yet it's classified as sports and drama.

Or Bakuman. It's about 2 upstarting mangaka. Also authentic to elements of daily life, but the battle shounen-esque tropes and elements overshadow the slice of life portion, it's present yet not part of main appeal.

So no, I wouldn't say he likes some slice of life, but he likes some anime with slice of life.

Both NHK and KnK are keeping the status quo....all themes used are relational to current social issues. I think you meant to use another term. If you meant being even-keeled then Barakamon isn't even that. It'll make you cry in the end and does have ambition. It does reach a climax and so does K-on.

I think where we disagree is in the importance of the SoL in relational to the other genres. Every genre that NHK and KnK have outside of SoL are reliant on the narrative being relational to current events. If realism is the foundation of a genre and other sub genres are used to color the narrative rather than dominate and distort the authenticity, then it is SoL. I would not say partly SoL when being SoL is the foundation of those anime. Everything falls apart if not for it whereas you could get rid of the romantic drama of Koe Katachi (which, spoiler, isn't even consumated. They just could be best friends) and the audience would still be massive.

By your restrictive definition I suppose you think Honey & Clover and Sangatsu Lion aren't SoL and that is bizarre to me. I mean these are anime that speak to the souls of viewers struggling through the exact same circumstances of the characters depicted. Being SoL is the selling point.

I have not finished the track anime and I don't remember enough about Bakuman specifically to disagree. I have seen Hajime no Ippo and I would agree that it is partly SoL not fully because the sports genre and the way it adopts exaggerated shounen-battle tropes is absolutely paramount. Same with Haikyuu. But none of these are relational to NHK and Katachi.
84DaysWithoutJun 24, 2019 5:16 PM
Jun 24, 2019 5:16 PM

May 2015
Just like with every other genre, it really depends on the show. Writing off an entire genre as being boring is stupid, but it's entirely possible that an individual show in that genre is boring.

Jun 24, 2019 5:18 PM

Nov 2009
Vazka said:
84DaysWithout said:

Those are not slice of life anime LMAO

Why not?

Every single genre used is directly relational to current social events. SoL is the foundation to both Koe no Katachi and NHK.

A snippet from your own review of NHK -

"This anime is the most realistic depiction of social anxiety and agoraphobia I've seen in anime in general. This anime touches on many topics including social anxiety, depression, suicide, drug abuse, and obviously hikikomori. This anime can be very funny at times, and very depressing at other times. Most people like this anime because they can relate to Satou and his struggles. As I said before, it's easily one of the most realistic depiction of social anxiety I've seen in an anime. Not only Satou, but the other characters are relatable as well."

...but not SoL, and why is that?

Bebop and Gintama are not SoL, no. Just partly.
84DaysWithoutJun 24, 2019 5:26 PM
Jun 24, 2019 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
Slice of life is an excellent genre for characters. There's a common sentiment going around that nothing goes on in it and lacks plot(as Bobsamurai discussed). The story may be more down to earth like say Love Live where the main goal is to revive their school, but that's still at the end of the day, a plot. Stuff still happens in which that goal tries to be obtained. You also have more episodic shows like K-On and Clannad where there is a plot, but it's self-contained within the episode/arc and heavily character driven.

Jun 24, 2019 6:17 PM

Oct 2010
@84DaysWithout @FMmatron Maybe I'm a bit late on the discussion but why do you consider correspondence to real life as a sign that something is a slice of life? There's plenty of fantasy slice of life stories out there, and plenty of realistic narrative scenarios that have nothing in SoL (Monster for instance, or Tokyo Magnitude 8.0).

I think SoL has to focus on routines and that is a narrative focus, not a specific theme or environment. Routines can be mad, absurd or fantastic and they can be totally true to life. I consider Cowboy Bebop way more of a SoL than Welcome to the NHK, which from the beginning embraces change and pursuing something as the main drive of the story.
jal90Jun 24, 2019 6:23 PM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 2 hours ago

5 by Akuya »»
1 minute ago

» Anilist is better ( 1 2 3 4 )

SleepySimoon - Oct 28, 2021

178 by Nurguburu »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

59 by inim »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 7 hours ago

28 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
6 minutes ago

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 2 hours ago

8 by Tropisch »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.