Forum Settings
Forums

Why do we criticize people who have a "low" mean MAL score?

New
Jun 23, 2019 12:22 PM

Feb 2019
This has been bugging me recently, when I come across profiles who have a mean score of around 5 there are always nasty comments saying something along the lines of this, "With a mean score of 4.41, why don't you just stop watching anime? You clearly don't like it xD. Try some movies or tv shows." Do people not understand that every individual has a different scale when it comes to anime? For me, I believe that the people with a mean score around 5 are more correct than the majority of us because in a 1-10 scale 5 should indicate a average anime.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 2019 12:26 PM

Jul 2015
People criticize users with low mean score because they are mean! Anyway, I do see the critics point, if a person doesn't like most anime they watch, they should watch something else. Otherwise, I don't really care what another's mean score is!
Jun 23, 2019 12:30 PM
Apr 2017
My oh my, a fresh new perspective on a hitherto untouched subject.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jun 23, 2019 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
Why do we criticize...? We don't. Some do. People with too much time on their hands who are not in the mood to watch anime instead maybe ?

Your ratings are your own, you can do with them whatever you want. If somebody would say 1 is bad, 2 is mediocre and 3 is brilliant and let's forget the rest, don't need them, then it still is ok.

Why do you care so much about comments on other people's profiles anyway..

Jun 23, 2019 12:44 PM
Mar 2011
I think the mean score shouldn't be visible / shown. It's a completely useless piece of information.
Jun 23, 2019 12:47 PM

Aug 2018
Oh, is that so? Looks like people still haven't been bugging me with my 'low' MEAN score as of now, but thanks for the heads up!
I guess it's time for me being really worried!
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Jun 23, 2019 12:47 PM

Feb 2019
naens said:
I think the mean score shouldn't be visible / shown. It's a completely useless piece of information.

I agree, I always thought that the mean score in both profile and anime shouldn't exist so people can start to rate anime honestly instead of giving into mob mentality.
Jun 23, 2019 12:48 PM

Oct 2010
I never bash on other's profiles for their mean score, I simply don't care, it's their choice and their rating system. And we also get that other extreme with guys that have a mean score of 9.5 which is funny.
Jun 23, 2019 12:48 PM

Jun 2019
Who cares what other people mean score is, just watch anime and have a fun that is all that matters.
Jun 23, 2019 12:50 PM

Nov 2009
>Do people not understand that every individual has a different scale when it comes to anime?

no
Jun 23, 2019 12:52 PM

Jan 2013
Futz_ said:
This has been bugging me recently, when I come across profiles who have a mean score of around 5 there are always nasty comments saying something along the lines of this, "With a mean score of 4.41, why don't you just stop watching anime? You clearly don't like it xD. Try some movies or tv shows." Do people not understand that every individual has a different scale when it comes to anime? For me, I believe that the people with a mean score around 5 are more correct than the majority of us because in a 1-10 scale 5 should indicate a average anime.
Why do you type "we"?
Do you also do it?

I don't care what scores you give to anime, it's when you make dumb or ignorant comments that I have to call you out on your bs.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 23, 2019 12:53 PM

Oct 2010
Timz0r said:
Oh, is that so? Looks like people still haven't been bugging me with my 'low' MEAN score as of now, but thanks for the heads up!
I guess it's time for me being really worried!

You have a pretty legit mean score 4.96 but come on, Aho Girl 2? and Infer Cop 1? at least Pingu was a 10
Jun 23, 2019 12:54 PM

Jan 2018
EvilUnicorn said:
Who cares what other people mean score is, just watch anime and have a fun that is all that matters.

Pretty much this. People just wanna look for a reason to fight around here.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jun 23, 2019 12:56 PM

Feb 2019
Welcome to the forums! You're the millionth user to ask this question, click here for your prize.
Jun 23, 2019 12:56 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Yeah, I've seen that before and I dislike that immensely.

Fuck 'em.

Aastra343 said:
Welcome to the forums! You're the millionth user to ask this question, click here for your prize.

how dare you bring a stale meme into this civilized conversation, good sir

Jun 23, 2019 12:59 PM

Feb 2019
Manaban said:

Aastra343 said:

Fuck, I should've linked to some malware if people were actually gonna click on it. Stale memes for stale topics I say. Long live the stale dead memes.
Jun 23, 2019 1:00 PM

Jul 2017
I think it's more of a case of people wondering why do other's even bother watching a medium if their general consensus based on their score is that they don't like a majority of what they're watching. I mean yea everyone has different rating systems, but 4 and below are generally considered bad by most standards and those mean scores are the ones that I see mostly get "criticized"

naens said:

how else can one inadvertently flex their mega elitism?

Feb 2019
Cabron said:
Futz_ said:
Why do you type "we"?
Do you also do it?

I don't care what scores you give to anime, it's when you make dumb or ignorant comments that I have to call you out on your bs.

first and foremost, no I definitely do not criticize people based on their scoring system. I sometimes will defend them by asking the person who left the comment why they think that way (that's the reason for the post)

I wrote "we" because I am addressing the entire community because in my eyes this is occurs quite frequently. However, i'd love to know what you would replace it with.

Can you explain why my comment was BS?
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Aastra343 said:
Manaban said:

Fuck, I should've linked to some malware if people were actually gonna click on it. Stale memes for stale topics I say. Long live the stale dead memes.

joke's on you, my computer's probably already infested with malware

Jun 23, 2019 1:36 PM

Oct 2014
A lot of people have a hard time looking at things from the perspectives of others. When someone who considers a 6/10 to be the right rating to give any anime from Sword Art Online to Mars of Destruction and they see someone whose average is 4.5 they see it as being someone considering more than half of the anime they've seen to be worse than anything the observer has ever come across, not realizing just how differently people use the rating scale.

Also, people are just naturally hostile to people whose values strongly conflict with their own.
Jun 23, 2019 1:43 PM

Jun 2015
Some people use the "I am picky with what I watch that's why my mean is over 7.5" argument as in rating something a 5/10 or lower is an absolute statement of something being mediocre or bad with no room for nuance.

When I'd argue my 5/10 is way better than what constitutes a factual average product in the industry. But you can still opt to use the more useful full scale, and rate under 5 stuff you didn't like. Some of which you find worse than others for a variety of reasons, of course.
Jun 23, 2019 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty pointless but 5 is actually the average of a 0-10 scale, for a 1-10 scale like the one on mal it's 5.5.
Jun 23, 2019 1:59 PM

Jul 2017
because for some reason humans hate to see other humans live with a different phylosophy than their own, so they feel the need to critisize the guy and try to convince him even though it never leads to anything. it extends to this kind of stupidity and here we are.
Jun 23, 2019 2:20 PM

Jun 2012
This has literally never happened to me in the 7 years I've been on MAL despite my mean score always hovering around 5.

Inb4 random people start flooding my profile comments with "gtfo elitist"
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 23, 2019 2:23 PM

May 2018
Futz_ said:

I won't read any more posts other than yours OP, as this thread has been up for so many times and it's getting slightly tiring. So I go over your post with my same arguments in that regard and be over it (unless you respond to it in any sort)

1. If you have a bunch of anime seen and your mean average strays too far off of the average scale, you're an odd ball in my eyes. (7.5 and higher tells me your standards are pretty low (when higher, maybe not even existant). 3.5 and lower and you're most likely way too edgy to be taken serious.)
2. If you rate like a normal person, your rating graph should probably look somewhat like having the least scores for 1,2,3,9,10 , occasionally 4,(7),8 and most scores at 5,6,(7)
3. Take into account that a person who enjoys the medium would stick to shows/genres he/she likes. So the actual average score of the person at MAL should be somewhere above the actual average of MAL's rating scale.

Jun 23, 2019 2:33 PM

May 2009
Kurgo said:
My oh my, a fresh new perspective on a hitherto untouched subject.
To be fair, this is the opposite perspective of the fad that OP @Futz_ points out, which I can vouch for occasionally seeing in threads here on AD.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 23, 2019 2:54 PM

May 2018
I do enjoy everything scored higher than 2-3. My mean score is 5.53 and I'm ok with that. Probably could be higher if I didn't rate some dropped titles and bad short movies. Recently some guy asked me why I keep watching One piece (880+ episodes) while I rated it only a 4. Well, because despite having such a low score and actually being a bad show I still find something that keeps my interest.
After all, there are 4 more scores below 5, why do you think people shouldn't enjoy something they gave 4 or 5?
So, I don't see any problems in low mean scores. Imo having 8+ is much more cancerous thing
Nemo_NiemandJun 23, 2019 2:59 PM

Jun 23, 2019 3:03 PM

Oct 2017
Futz_ said:
For me, I believe that the people with a mean score around 5 are more correct than the majority of us because in a 1-10 scale 5 should indicate a average anime.

This assumes all the anime a person has watched will be an even distribution of good and bad anime. That will only be true for people that have watched a ton of anime. Vast majority of people, especially those who are new, will watch stuff that's well known and more likely to be enjoyable to them.

That said, I don't think anyone has a better or worse way of doing it. Beauty of the system is everyone can do it how they like and the average scores are a conglomeration of all those styles.

I'll joke about people having bad taste because it's different to mine, but only time I critcize people's scores seriously is when I think they are giving protest scores because they think something is overrated. Of course, a lot of people just score based on enjoyment but honestly, it's not that many. I made a thread recently with a poll and it's less than 20% of people who score based on enjoyment alone. So I'm always suspicious when I see a really popular, highly-scored aniem on someone's list and they've given it a 1. These shows must have done something right by any kind of objective valuation. So I think most of the time the line "oh I just score by enjoyment" is an excuse and those 1/10s are anger/protest scores.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 23, 2019 3:05 PM

Apr 2017
I am the complete opposite. I criticize people for having really high mean scores. If your mean score is over a 7 you are not using the 1-10 scale right.
Jun 23, 2019 3:11 PM

Apr 2013
Cause they are insecure about the fact that these folks think more critically before rating an Anime compared to them. We should criticize people who have way too high of mean scores since they are the reason a lot of shit Anime are ranked high on the charts.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jun 23, 2019 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
Back when I used to rate things on MAL, my mean score was almost exactly 5.5, which happens to be the mid-point between 1 and 10.
I didn't plan for it, it just kinda happened naturally.

If anything, I have deeper respect for people with mean scores of 4 and lower. They literally spend most of their time watching shit. Not once complaining about it.
I, personally, could not do that.
Jun 23, 2019 3:22 PM

Jun 2017
And I pretend not to know who you are talking about. If 4.41 is low then 6.59 is considered a high mean score because of 1-10 rating system
Jun 23, 2019 3:26 PM

Feb 2014
Futz_ said:

Because it is an empatic human atitude to advise others to stop activities which bring harm or unpleasantness to oneself.

It is simply dumb to engage in a hobby where you will spend most of the time watching things you dislike. Which is why i stopped playing League of Legends in favor of other games.
Jun 23, 2019 3:43 PM

May 2014
I think a lot of people do it because they don't understand why a person would watch so many anime they consider below average. Which i kind of get to be honest. But then, people can get enjoyment out of terrible games and movies, so why not the same with anime? If they enjoy bad anime than that's their prerogative. I'd rather avoid the bad shows when i can and watch the genuinely good stuff though.
FancyjasperJun 23, 2019 3:46 PM
Jun 23, 2019 3:47 PM

Jul 2011
I don't know but I can't care less..what other people watch and do on their own profile shouldn't be anyone's buisness. I created this account to list my anime and not to fight with people over some stupid scores

Jun 23, 2019 3:48 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe I just don't care or haven't looked but I have never seen this. Buuuut people will find anything to complain about. Asking why won't make much of a difference.
Jun 23, 2019 3:49 PM

May 2014
because people have nothing better to do, than creep around people's profiles, typing unnecessary comments.

I'll be out ridin' my pony until it's time for candy
And I'll be naked, because I want to

Jun 23, 2019 3:54 PM

Oct 2008
I like this topic:
So the reason is pretty obvious, if your mean score is low, that means that you are a pretentious prick, who is hard to please and should get off his high horse.

I am one of those pretentious pricks and the reason for that is because I aim to fully utilise the 1-10 scale, that's it.

To me every season 45% of the anime are good and 45% are bad, however the last 10% are the 7, 8 and 9/10 series of that particular season.
Jun 23, 2019 4:02 PM

Dec 2009
I dont really care for mean scores, rate anime how you like or what you think it deserves.

Jun 23, 2019 5:17 PM

Oct 2013
I mean if you have mean score of 3 to 4, it means majority of your anime is rated 5 and below. Its a legit question to ask, no matter how you twist it by saying different rating scale, because when I check these folks profile they may have 1 or two series with a score of 7/10, so its definitely not that.

So yes, it is a valid question. Definitely not someone you would like to be talking to when it comes to anime.
Jun 23, 2019 7:29 PM

Jun 2008
Because it’s fucking RETARDED to watch something you don’t seem to enjoy just for the sake of shitting on it.

If you’re giving any and all anime you watch 4 or lower...clearly anime is NOT for you!

You don’t like it...so why watch it? To Hate watch? To be a cynical asshole?

Because that’s how these people come across.
Jun 23, 2019 7:40 PM

Jan 2009
if i see a low mean score like that i check if they have seen thousands of anime already and if they do Strugeons Law "90% of everything is trash" applies to their mindset and experience i guess

but if i see a low mean score with just below 100 anime watched on their list then ye they are clearly not enjoying anime much
Jun 23, 2019 8:28 PM
Dec 2017
They do? I haven't seen that before... Anyway, I guess some people do that because they might find it to be very strange or maybe even wrong.

I have a relatively high MAL score. I enjoy most anime I watch and usually give them a score no lower than 7. I'm very positive when it comes to everything I watch so a flaw may not effect the score I give an anime very much. On the other hand, a user with a low mean MAL score is different. So, it causes others to think "Why does every anime you watch have a low score?" or something similar. And, you know, that probably clashes with their own opinions and...yeah.

Honestly though, I don't really care. I don't get why other people do. Lol. I mean, it doesn't make sense to watch something over and over again if you don't like it but if they chose to do so...that's them.
Jun 23, 2019 9:18 PM

Mar 2019
Some people just want to watch things other than what they like. To give opinions or roast someone with a bad taste ;(

But, it's annoying if they keep doing that and resulting a low mean score in their list. I mean, why bother go so far for something you don't even care? Unless, they were having expectations that they will like it. It's unreasonable to give a low score.

Jun 23, 2019 9:25 PM

Oct 2013
People have a weird obsession with how others rate things. I pretty much use thre full scale when I rate things and my mean is still above a 5 at 6.79 currently. This could be a high or low mean depending on who you ask. Some people might think it's because I'm not properly using the scale as intended. I see it as me being fairly decent at picking anime to watch.
Jun 23, 2019 9:30 PM

Jan 2009
its also the human nature of tribalism "us vs them" mentality and "if you are not with us then you are against us" mentality
Jun 23, 2019 9:40 PM

Jul 2016
I have a fairly low score and the reason I keep watching is because while most anime that gets popular sucks ass, (SAO, Zombieland Saga, Bunny Girl, Overlord, etc.) there are many other shows that I love to death and make it worth it to sift through and find quality.

Jun 24, 2019 2:42 AM

May 2015
Short_Circut said:
I think it's more of a case of people wondering why do other's even bother watching a medium if their general consensus based on their score is that they don't like a majority of what they're watching. I mean yea everyone has different rating systems, but 4 and below are generally considered bad by most standards and those mean scores are the ones that I see mostly get "criticized"

naens said:

how else can one inadvertently flex their mega elitism?

This 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jun 24, 2019 2:48 AM

Mar 2019
Futz_ said:
The difference in scales makes the rating system useless. I recently to increase granularity adjusted my scale and made Lain go from 9 to 10; I might encounter something better than Lain later down the line but for now this gives me more granularity; I had too much stuff at 8 where I felt one was clearly better than the other.

I feel a better system would just be to order things from most to least favored.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 24, 2019 2:48 AM

Dec 2016
A low mean score in any case doesn't necessarily imply the user does not on average enjoy the anime he/she watches... not everyone rates by enjoyment alone but rather want to be more critical, I don't know why's that so hard to understand...
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 34 minutes ago

13 by betaweeb »»
20 seconds ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 8 hours ago

20 by tmoverbeck »»
25 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

123 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

34 by MasterTasuke »»
8 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

3 by VeryRedBags »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.