Forum Settings
Forums

Why do we criticize people who have a "low" mean MAL score?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 25, 2019 5:02 AM

Apr 2019
Nemo_Niemand said:
I do enjoy everything scored higher than 2-3. (...) keep watching One piece (880+ episodes) while I rated it only a 4.. Imo having 8+ is much more cancerous thing

Couldn't agree more. Enjoyment is a question of genre, your mood, and intoxication level. I enjoyed everything rated 5+, and if it's from a genre I favour, everything 4+. The same holds for genres I don't like such as Action, Shounen and Superhero. Well done specimen from those genres still get a 6-8 rating from me to acknowledge the skill used to make them. A 9-10 requires both high craftsmanship and resonating with my individual taste.

Not using the full rating range means to play piano using only your nose and the left hand.

Jun 25, 2019 5:57 AM

Apr 2019
Saku_k said:
That's all fine and dandy, but your score doesn't exist in a vacuum. (...) The majority of the people don't consider a 5 the same as you consider a 5. (...) A movie on rottentomatoes with a 50 is considered rotten. This is how the real world works

True words, but your focus determines your reality. The trick I pull is viewing MAL trough a hand-picked friends list. Everybody on it shares my take on rating distribution, but not necessarily genre preferences and taste. Rather than using the official averaged rating, I only care for theirs. You would be amazed what a predictive power and nuanced assesment you get from this.

And yes, it pains me to actually "hurt" good anime, as obviously 90% of my ratings are below the global averages. Also, I have to reject friends request meant as a "facebook friend" level nice guy relation because of rating averages. That in return gives my opinion less weight, as I naturally have fewer "followers" to influence.

In the end I decided I rate for myself, and I want a list I could print out and tell a friend: watch them in this priority and you will see the good ones first. I pay the price associated with this.

Jun 25, 2019 6:26 AM

Oct 2013
Some people love to criticize just because they like to do it. It's their right to do, even if it's objectively dumb.

Many people with low mean score usually have their own rating system in which, for example, 4/10 doesn't have to mean that the show is bad, but it's just below their own average expectations or standards. A lot of mentioned above users clarify their rating systems, but some don't and I guess that's because some picky people keep spamming their profiles with mean comments. Everything from not being able to understand that not everyone has the same rating system in their minds.
Jun 25, 2019 8:16 AM

Oct 2015
Because people think others with a low score on things are elites. Trust me I've been mistaken as one a couple of times.

When a lot of people didn't know I watched a lot of crappy short films and other crap that is really obscure.

So my score was low because of that. Granted, I'm still thought of as an elite or a hipster depending on the person.

But I don't let the judgement of others bug me like it used to.
"Even if there isn't a God or meaning behind life. That doesn't mean you can't create your own meaning and make the best out of life."
Jun 25, 2019 6:46 PM
Apr 2018
If you have a mean score around 5 you must just not really love any anime you've seen so far. The site has 5 as being average and 4 is bad so ideally if you liked anime and asked around or checked scores of anime before you watch them in the future your mean should improve. You should steadily be finding out what genres or studios you like and watch similar things. In the end it's all personal preference, watch what you want.
Jun 25, 2019 8:27 PM

Oct 2014
AlphaRomo said:
If you have a mean score around 5 you must just not really love any anime you've seen so far. The site has 5 as being average and 4 is bad so ideally if you liked anime and asked around or checked scores of anime before you watch them in the future your mean should improve. You should steadily be finding out what genres or studios you like and watch similar things. In the end it's all personal preference, watch what you want.

I'd say you have that completely backwards. Most people with lower mean scores have definitely seen anime that they love. The important reason lies in not finding many new anime that they love like before.

All your points are generally only for newer fans, which is pointless for the topic on hand because newer fans very rarely ever have low mean scores. People with lower means tend to have seen more than the average fan and their tastes are already well-established, and that ties into what I said before.
PyroJun 25, 2019 8:30 PM
Jun 25, 2019 8:44 PM

Sep 2012
I have a low mean score because I watched a lot of seasonal shows that got mediocre over time. I also re-scored a lot of shows. A lot of 7s became 6s, 6s became 5s as a result of that. An 8 or above is a show I would rewatch.
Jun 25, 2019 8:58 PM

Dec 2017
I'll just sit here with my tasteless 7.4 and not care *sips tea*. Honestly I don't care much for scores. I score based on my tastes not anyone else's, which is what I feel a lot of people do, which means a lot of the scores don't matter in the long run. I tend to stick to anime I know I'll enjoy hence the higher scores. Rather than watch something I know I'll dislike and rate it poorly. But whatever floats people's boats. I'd like to point out that part of being a good reviewer is watching crap and then explain why it's crap, so I can understand a lot of the lower scores on Mal.
PlatinumMummyJun 25, 2019 9:05 PM
Jun 25, 2019 10:05 PM

Feb 2019
Thanks for all the input everyone, this made for a great read. @Saku_k really made me rethink my thought and I can now say that I agree with you.
Jun 25, 2019 10:33 PM
Apr 2018
Pyro said:
AlphaRomo said:

I'd say you have that completely backwards. Most people with lower mean scores have definitely seen anime that they love. The important reason lies in not finding many new anime that they love like before.

All your points are generally only for newer fans, which is pointless for the topic on hand because newer fans very rarely ever have low mean scores. People with lower means tend to have seen more than the average fan and their tastes are already well-established, and that ties into what I said before.

You don't have to rate every new show you watch a 10 but 6 is fine and 7 is good according to MAL. If you're not trying to watch shows you'll enjoy then why watch? I understand the point of people that watch really long shows that eventually go bad (*cough* bleach) but why would people not actively try to watch at least good shows (7).

Also you said that people with lower means tend to have seen more anime but that isn't really factual. Their score will probably get diluted over time but it should reasonably still be above 5 (average) and surely 4 (bad).
Jun 25, 2019 10:37 PM
Mar 2011
RafflesHolmes said:
Because people think others with a low score on things are elites. Trust me I've been mistaken as one a couple of times.

When a lot of people didn't know I watched a lot of crappy short films and other crap that is really obscure.

So my score was low because of that. Granted, I'm still thought of as an elite or a hipster depending on the person.

But I don't let the judgement of others bug me like it used to.

I agree. There are other factors than maximizing enjoyment. For example you can watch anime with a voice actor you like, or a band that plays songs for openings / OST. Or you are watching everything related to a big franchise like Detective Conan or Lupin III. These shows might be of low quality so the mean score could drop. But does it make such person an elitist? Not necessarily. So the mean score should not be used to determine it.
Jun 25, 2019 10:52 PM
Feb 2018
My mean score is Always between 6.5-7 and i don't care what people have to say about it. You don't have any right to say bad things about others likes and dislikes..
Jun 26, 2019 12:30 AM

Jun 2019
MAL users who have average score <= 5 are elitist critics with refined taste and other users on MAL are butthurt over the score they give to their favorite anime envious of their keen judgment and good taste.
Jun 26, 2019 2:39 AM

Mar 2015
Back in my day we made fun of people with high mean scores. How the tables have turned.
Jun 26, 2019 4:05 AM

Jul 2015
AlphaRomo said:
Pyro said:

You don't have to rate every new show you watch a 10 but 6 is fine and 7 is good according to MAL. If you're not trying to watch shows you'll enjoy then why watch? I understand the point of people that watch really long shows that eventually go bad (*cough* bleach) but why would people not actively try to watch at least good shows (7).

Also you said that people with lower means tend to have seen more anime but that isn't really factual. Their score will probably get diluted over time but it should reasonably still be above 5 (average) and surely 4 (bad).

Pyro is right. You can't decide to watch good shows. You can watch something that appeals to you, but it's not going to make it automatically good. You can watch something others praise, it won't make it automatically good. Lots of shows rated 7+ on average on MAL I rated below 5. I couldn't guess they'd be bad, and watching the score did nothing to help me avoid them. The more you saw, the less obvious choices become and you start to watch random things.
If you're going to watch 70s anime for example, gl. Nobody talks about them, nobody watches them, it's pretty much a coin toss every time.

Jun 26, 2019 6:48 AM

May 2018
AlphaRomo said:

My mean score is around 4.2 and yet somehow i loved A LOT of shows. Magic? You know, different people have different evaluation criteria. For me, for example, the series I gave 4 does not just mean they're bad. I find these shows pleasant at some point; they contained some elements that I liked, but were simply overwhelmed by rather more cons than pros
reformed
Jun 26, 2019 7:05 AM

Aug 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
not realizing just how differently people use the rating scale.

Thats the stupidest thing i ever heard, everyone in this forum has become dumber after listening to you.

The rating scale is from 1 to 10. Everything else is trolling.

If you have an average of 5 you either have no taste or common sense at the time of picking an anime. You throw a coin when deciding to watch anime therefore you never watch stuff you care or probably would like.
If its lower you might even be trolling and using the scale from 1 to 5 instead of 1 to 10.

My mean score its 6.50 because of the animes i watched when i was a child (that were all garbage) and because some horrible luck when picking popular animes.
If you have over 3 million anime watched then the problem definitely is not your mean score...
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jun 26, 2019 7:21 AM
Nov 2015
5 isn't the ideal mean score in my opinion
It should be above 5, more like 6 or so bc most of us only watches the shows that look interesting to him, not every damn anime
Jun 26, 2019 7:52 AM
Jul 2018
Saku_k said:
And no, 5 is not an average score. If you get 50% in all your classes at school do you say your grades are average? Come on now.

First of all, this isn't a school.
When you rate something on MAL, you have the guidelines right next to the value. In this case, 5 = average, 6 = fine, and so on.

You are free to disagree, and can even use your own rating system, but those are the site-wide standards.

And second, not everyone lives in the good ol' US of A or Japan.
In my country, 50 is a passing score. It is the lowest score you can have without failing. That's in the "lower ranks" of education, in the higher ones it's 10 out of 20.

Obviously, everyone wants to have a "Good" (70-89%), or higher, but most people get "Satisfactory" (50-69%).

Again, the true average on this site is actually 5.5.
Feel free to keep thinking that 7 = average. It's what most kids on this site do. But don't pretend that it's correct.

-Edit-
And I would like to reiterate: the more shows you watch, the more your mean score will naturally go down.
If you've watched those five anime that looked absolutely incredible, and align perfectly with your taste, I won't begrudge you for having a mean score of 8, 9, or hell... even flat-out 10 out of 10!
But if you've fully explored the medium, regularly gotten outside of your comfort zone, and exposed yourself to everything that the industry has to offer... then no, I don't see how you could still end up with such a high score.
removed-userJun 26, 2019 8:03 AM
Jun 26, 2019 8:15 AM
Apr 2014
My english isn't very good, so to make my point understandable, I'll refer to the people with low mean score as (1) and to the ones who critisize them for that as (2).

Imo (2)s seem to think that (1)s have a low mean score because, in (2)'s eyes, (1)s perceive themselves as critics who try to increase the value of their reviews by being harsh with their scores. It's like (2) thinks "Ugh, they think they are such great critics."

There are certainly people who think their reviews are better with low scores but that's surely the minority. So in conclusion I'd say that (2)'s views are based on the generelization of the wrong actions of a minority, although it's kinda weird since it's not a vocal minority. I'd guess that mainly the emotional impact of an unusually harsh review serves as a replacements for that.

Also, idk if it's just me, but there seems to be a certain development in society where we see (1)s and (2)s in many branches of media. Maybe that's the cause.

Jun 26, 2019 8:28 AM

Apr 2019
I think a lot of people dont care about the extreme effort the studios and their workers do to create a show. I find really hard to rate any show lower than 5/10 just cause I respect all that workers a lot.

Also I use to rate a show at least 6/10 if I enjoyed any part of it.
Jun 26, 2019 8:35 AM
Apr 2018
WrngHoleOniiChan said:
AlphaRomo said:

My mean score is around 4.2 and yet somehow i loved A LOT of shows. Magic? You know, different people have different evaluation criteria. For me, for example, the series I gave 4 does not just mean they're bad. I find these shows pleasant at some point; they contained some elements that I liked, but were simply overwhelmed by rather more cons than pros

I get that you're individual rating criteria is different but for this site people should stick by what the MAL guidelines are. MAL says a 10 is a masterpiece 5 - average and so on. If you're on this site, and the site describes the scores in a certain way, you should follow it so that the animes overall score better reflect the website rating system. Again, I don't have any issue with low scores but based on MAL a 4 is bad. Rate them however you want but the site says different. The term "bad" can also be subjective like if the show started of good but ended up terrible you can rate it a 4 but still recommend it to people. Or just add a tag and describe your rating.
Jun 26, 2019 8:39 AM
Aug 2014
don't really care tbh. i'm just here to update my animes/mangas read, don't expect people to get annoyed if i have a high/low mean.
Jun 26, 2019 8:39 AM
Jul 2018
Gingko said:
I think a lot of people dont care about the extreme effort the studios and their workers do to create a show. I find really hard to rate any show lower than 5/10 just cause I respect all that workers a lot.

Once you enter the working place, you realize that everything you do will forever be subject to scrutiny. Criticism is something that any adult can handle. Even in its "not so polite" forms, to be honest.
It's a part of life.

These shows are products.
They're on store shelves to be sold, they're on streaming services, and they're even on TV, supported by all kinds of advertisement.
They spawn all forms of merchandise known to man.

Don't ever feel bad for providing feedback.
I see this a lot when certain shows end, Game of Thrones being the latest example. People don't want to offend the creators, because "they worked so hard."

We all work hard. We all handle negative feedback.
People aren't porcelain dolls that need to have their feelings coddled and given "participation trophies" for everything they do in life.
Jun 26, 2019 8:44 AM

Dec 2008
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

First of all, this isn't a school.
When you rate something on MAL, you have the guidelines right next to the value. In this case, 5 = average, 6 = fine, and so on.

You are free to disagree, and can even use your own rating system, but those are the site-wide standards.

And second, not everyone lives in the good ol' US of A or Japan.
In my country, 50 is a passing score. It is the lowest score you can have without failing. That's in the "lower ranks" of education, in the higher ones it's 10 out of 20.

Obviously, everyone wants to have a "Good" (70-89%), or higher, but most people get "Satisfactory" (50-69%).

Again, the true average on this site is actually 5.5.
Feel free to keep thinking that 7 = average. It's what most kids on this site do. But don't pretend that it's correct.

-Edit-
And I would like to reiterate: the more shows you watch, the more your mean score will naturally go down.
If you've watched those five anime that looked absolutely incredible, and align perfectly with your taste, I won't begrudge you for having a mean score of 8, 9, or hell... even flat-out 10 out of 10!
But if you've fully explored the medium, regularly gotten outside of your comfort zone, and exposed yourself to everything that the industry has to offer... then no, I don't see how you could still end up with such a high score.

I'm sorry but this is nonsense.
What do we have for spring anime? https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2019/spring
Hmm I guess every show barring 2 was above average, with those remaining 2 being just average. No bad anime! What an amazing season! Wait, almost every show every season would be above average.
If you don't like the school comparison, then use almost any other metric. I mentioned metacritic and rotten tomatoes.
Look at reviews by people who give shows a 5, the majority of the review will be negative.
You can go on and on about 5.5 all you want, but the majority of people will consider an average quality show, to be something of around a 6 or a 7. And this is hardly something unique to anime or MAL. But yeah, everybody else in the world is wrong, and only you lucky few truly know what score an average series deserves.
Jun 26, 2019 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
Saku_k said:
But yeah, everybody else in the world is wrong, and only you lucky few truly know what score an average series deserves.

There is no right or wrong here.
The guidelines are literally next to the numerical value. There is nothing to argue.

Feel free to keep using your own metric. No one will hold a gun to your head.
Jun 26, 2019 8:57 AM

Apr 2019
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Gingko said:

Once you enter the working place, you realize that everything you do will forever be subject to scrutiny. Criticism is something that any adult can handle. Even in its "not so polite" forms, to be honest.
It's a part of life.

These shows are products.
They're on store shelves to be sold, they're on streaming services, and they're even on TV, supported by all kinds of advertisement.
They spawn all forms of merchandise known to man.

Don't ever feel bad for providing feedback.
I see this a lot when certain shows end, Game of Thrones being the latest example. People don't want to offend the creators, because "they worked so hard."

We all work hard. We all handle negative feedback.
People aren't porcelain dolls that need to have their feelings coddled and given "participation trophies" for everything they do in life.

Thanks for the advise dude.

I always watch a show with critic view, and I can think something is average but I dont get mad if I find something like that.

Maybe I´m insecure. I dont know anything about graphic arts, animation and these stuffs I just can have an objetive view of the plot and narrative aspects cause that´s my brach of work, so It´s posible that I ignore all the fails in graphics, so I dont know how hard animators and artists have to work to make a show.

To be honest, the starting point of my critical view is "can I do this?", "can I do it better", so depending on that I rate the narrative of a show, and I dont use to see too many mistakes actually.

PS: Btw, I know creators are exposed to be criticized, I´m used to that cause I´m a creator aswell, I guess I´m criticized a lot and I feel empathy for the anime creators lmao.
GingkoJun 26, 2019 9:01 AM
Jun 26, 2019 9:41 AM

Jun 2019
Because most people are feel fags who don't know how to rate anime.
So when someone who does give low score to their favorite show they trow taper tantrum over it.
Also many of them are casuals who haven't seen many anime shows so they lack refine taste that people who watched 500+ shows usually have.
Jun 26, 2019 3:44 PM

Oct 2014
CordobezEverdeen said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Thats the stupidest thing i ever heard, everyone in this forum has become dumber after listening to you.

If you have an average of 5 you either have no taste or common sense at the time of picking an anime. You throw a coin when deciding to watch anime therefore you never watch stuff you care or probably would like.
If its lower you might even be trolling and using the scale from 1 to 5 instead of 1 to 10.

My mean score its 6.50 because of the animes i watched when i was a child (that were all garbage) and because some horrible luck when picking popular animes.
If you have over 3 million anime watched then the problem definitely is not your mean score...
Everything about your argument is so wrong I I feel an obligation to tell you why, even if you don't understand.

Not everyone uses a 1-10 scale. Many people use 6-10, and although they may claim it extends further down and they "just haven't seen anime that bad", some of them gave Mars of Destruction a 6.

Just remember that the "average" anime means drastically different things to different people. I've seen someone who used a 3/10 to mean an average anime. He still used a full 10 point scale, but just decided that anime that are average or worse don't deserve to hog half of the rating scale since they aren't any good. He has a mean of 4.04 which is higher than what he considers average.

I've also seen some people with really high ratings for average anime. There was one guy I saw who gave an anime a 7 and considered it to be one of the worst anime he had seen and wouldn't recommend it to his worst enemy. These two examples are extremes, but it is a spectrum. You can't expect everyone to rate the same way you do.

Not everyone only watches anime they expect to give high scores to. A lot of people watch seasonals for the community surrounding them even if the anime themselves are subpar and some people will also watch older or more obscure anime just to see what they're like without expecting them to be great anime. Restricting yourself to only watching good anime isn't always the best decision.

Maybe you should actually ask people how they rate before assuming they're all rating the same way. Some people just get a lot of enjoyment out of trash anime but don't rate by enjoyment. Some people even use 5 as the average of their own list rather than having an abstract negative idea of what an average anime is and rate everything higher than that because "no matter how bad this anime is, it can't possibly be at or below the median quality of this terrible medium".
Jun 26, 2019 3:45 PM

Jan 2018
CordobezEverdeen said:
zombie_pegasus said:

You sound highly triggered. People are allowed to rate how they want.
Jun 26, 2019 3:56 PM
Jul 2018
What is this "we" shit. If you do it and you don't like it, stop doing it. If I did it, then I want to do it, and maybe mind your own business? I haven't really noticed anyone belittling the haters. I mean save me hating on the one punch man season 2 haters. That's really cause its a bandwagon hate, and I hate bandwagon haters more than low mean score peeps.

Also a lot of people make up their own scoring systems using the preset numbers. EXAMPLE, "If you totes check my profile you'll see I am to cool for school, and only rate anime on a 1 through 5, 1 being sucky and 5 being wondrous wet shorts"

Nothing we can do about... "those people". Averages will endure, and we all kind of suck at the end of the day anyway. <3 you.
Jun 26, 2019 3:57 PM
Jul 2018
I pick anime that seem good to watch so they should be atleast above Good (6) rating, is not my way to pick any anime and drop at anytime and give it low rating which is why my mean score seem high.

At times i do steps on landmine landed on few that i don't like but rather give it a low rating i give it what it overall deserve if i could enjoy it.
Jun 26, 2019 4:46 PM

Aug 2018
Tsunshine-Chris said:

You sound highly triggered. People are allowed to rate how they want.

I can rate from 1 to 3 if i want and probably there are people who rates like that.

That doesn't mean its the proper way to rate shows on this specific website with this specific 1 to 10 score system.

katsucats said:
Or maybe anime just makes people stupid.

You have 12k posts on these forums. You should already think of this as a fact.

CordobezEverdeenJun 26, 2019 4:51 PM
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jun 26, 2019 5:23 PM

Oct 2012
Saku_k said:
I'm sorry but this is nonsense.
What do we have for spring anime? https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2019/spring
Hmm I guess every show barring 2 was above average, with those remaining 2 being just average. No bad anime! What an amazing season! Wait, almost every show every season would be above average.
Unlike @Hey_Taka-tin_Hey I'm not going to be that generous. Site average scores have a natural positive bias because
  • People like you abuse the rating. (With that said, MAL ratings have no academic value, so keep on doing what you do baby)
  • People who pick up the show has more propensity to like it. Many people who don't like something know they won't like it.

But aside from all that, it's preposterous, conceited, even, to suggest that your own rating should reflect the site average. No, bruh. The site average is the aggregate of all the users. Your rating represents yourself. How is that even hard to understand? If, overall, MAL users think a show deserves a 7, that still doesn't mean you need to treat that as the baseline. That literally has nothing to do with you or your opinions, unless you're still on that high school popularity thing. You don't need to guess someone else's average and use their average as yours.

With that said, as Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said, no, it doesn't really matter. You do whatever nonsense (your words) your little heart wants.

CordobezEverdeen said:
katsucats said:
Or maybe anime just makes people stupid.
You have 12k posts on these forums. You should already think of this as a fact.
I do think a lot of people on these forums are stupid, but I'm not sure if that's a product of anime or just stupid people were looking for an escape to begin with. I watch a ton of anime and I don't consider myself stupid. I will say that if someone watches anime uncritically and just accepts whatever idealistic shit that's spouted in a cartoon as their own personal life philosophy, they'll probably grow up into a plant.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 26, 2019 5:25 PM

Sep 2017
ill put off the second part of the question for a bit
why do we criticize?
because we can
why do we criticize people?
jealousy
why do we criticize people who have a "low" mean MAL score?
because we're mean!
Signature
Jun 27, 2019 7:01 AM

Apr 2019
Rating behaviour is pure psychology, but I think it can be boiled down to four fundamental rater types.

• Opinion amplification: Ratings are used in an attempt to pull the public average up or down based on personal taste. This often includes 10-or-1 voting behaviour. I think the total base count of users is too high for this to have devastating effect on the overal soundness of the system. But given 0.1 points of offical rating make a huge difference, it is still real.
  • Average adaptive: Be it 5.5 or 7, this type of rater centers her ratings around the perceived meaning of "average". While fair on the surface, it still inevitably leads to the effect of rating inflation and ultimately squeezes the normal distribution into ever smaller numerical intervals.
  • Average absolute: This type of rater pre-determines her own metric, often but not always based on full range and in writing, and applies it. You would be surpised how many users do this, and by far not all of them have the mythological "elitist taste". People with this approach usually maintain rating lists for themselves and likeminded people, giving a hoot for the "official rating".
  • Gut feeling: This type listens to what her heart and guts say, and doesn't really care too much about the grand global rating conspiracy. I'm very unsure how many of this type exist, becasue they are always at risk to become opinion amplfier type.
I wouldn't think either of them is superior, they all have pros and cons. I'm also not convinced their share in the MAL population differs wildly with experience level. Personally, I'm an average absolute guy and stopped caring for official average ratings. Your mileage may differ.

Jun 27, 2019 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
I just don't get why you even watch anime if you hardly ever like anything enough to give it more than a 3. Sure, some people consider a 5 to be middle of the road. But a 3? I can't imagine anyone going "hey yeah I liked that," then giving it a 1-3.

Personally, a 7/10 means it was enjoyable but nothing fantastic. Whereas a 6 means it had its moments and a 5 means mediocre. And I don't go out of my way to watch or read anything I know I won't like. Which is why my average scores are both in a 7 range. So when I see someone with an average of 5, I just assume their 5/10 is like my 7/10. Averages of 2 or 3 though... If a 2 is passable then what the fuck is a 10 y'know?
Jun 28, 2019 2:45 AM

Aug 2016
I love that classic, "just because I gave it a 3 or 4 doesn't mean I think it's bad!!!"

like...what?
Jun 28, 2019 3:26 AM

Dec 2015
Because this kind of people feels insulted by the difference.

Saku_k said:
No, 5 is not an average score. If you get 50% in all your classes at school do you say your grades are average?

In Europe, we do. The french schools (including universities) use a 20points scale for marks. Either you have 50% of the points (10/20), the mean, and you pass or you get less and you fail (for an exam). Having around 10-12 would be labelled as "average" (or maybe "mediocre").

@deg Now, you're making me want to re-read Lord of the Flies again.

deg said:
I had to google that and wiki said it aligns with the tribalism "us vs them" comment i made

My bad, I thought it was a very common book for UK/US school programs.
Rei_IIIJun 28, 2019 12:34 PM
Jun 28, 2019 3:34 AM

Jan 2009
Rei366 said:

@deg Now, you're making me want to re-read Lord of the Flies again.

i have to google that and wiki said it aligns with the tribalism "us vs them" comment i made lol

@Rei366

im from the philippines we did not learn about that book here
degJun 28, 2019 3:35 PM
Jun 30, 2019 12:08 AM

Jul 2016
Gingko said:

I'm thinking the same. Besides, critizing anime when you suppose to enjoy it as an entertainment doesn't make any sense. That's what i found after looking at some users who have low mean score (<=5 or maybe 5.5). Moreover, giving 5 out of 10 is painful enough for the anime studios & teams, so personally i won't make it any worse than 5/10.
Anyway, all of it depends on the user.

Jun 30, 2019 3:05 AM

Aug 2017
Gingko said:

In my case, 4 points are for the good animation, decent soundtrack, voice actors, etc. The problem is when there's nothing else....

I mean, there are cases where an anime is shit in terms of storyline, characters, themes or situations which is not the case for the production values. For example: Violet Evergarden was a masterpiece in the technical aspect but the drama was so fake, manipulative, forced and annoying. And let's not talk about the characters.

Of course I know what you mean but I prefer to remember an anime for the characters, emotions, plot, etc, not just pretty colours. "Good from far but far from good". Anyway, its just a number.

@War_D nop, "so bad that it's good". I watched a lot of shit shows but most of them were so funny. That doesn't happen with most modern western cartoons which I refuse to watch cuz moral reasons.
NurguburuJun 30, 2019 3:10 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 30, 2019 8:50 AM

Jan 2013
Gingko said:

Same for me, once I learned how special effects were done lol.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 30, 2019 9:31 AM

Sep 2017
Why do we keep making threads about MAL scores? Why do I bother responding?

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Jun 30, 2019 11:51 AM

Feb 2019
aliquae said:

That is a very good question, one that you can only answer by yourself. This thread is around a week old so why don't you read through it, instead of bitching, and embrace the wonderful opinions everyone had.
Jun 30, 2019 11:55 AM

Jul 2015
yeah, i think the average mal user just straight up uses scores wrong. i see a lot of people saying "7" is their average which is ridiculous
Jun 30, 2019 12:18 PM

Aug 2013
If a person's score (assuming they've seen a decent amount of anime) is <= a mean score of four, then I do internally question why that person watches anime.
Jun 30, 2019 12:23 PM

Jul 2015
ImWaltz said:
If a person's score (assuming they've seen a decent amount of anime) is <= a mean score of four, then I do internally question why that person watches anime.

i think that's just a natural effect of watching everything. no matter who you are only a portion of media will fit your exact palette.
Jun 30, 2019 12:39 PM

Jul 2017
Futz_ said:
aliquae said:

That is a very good question, one that you can only answer by yourself. This thread is around a week old so why don't you read through it, instead of bitching, and embrace the wonderful opinions everyone had.

>half of them are talking about school grading system /s
Apr 5, 2020 9:02 PM

Mar 2018
Nurguburu said:
Trolls and fanboys. They deserved to be reported and banned. Imagine being ofended by a fucking score....mind your own business, buddy.

Also, 'iF yOu DoN't LiKe It, DoN't WaTcH iT' is a dumb argument. If I hear otherwise, he or she is just has fanboy blindness.

My mean score is 5.28. pd: they have a creepy obsession.

Facts. These people are so butthurt when their favorite anime is scored low by others.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

33 by WatchTillTandava »»
3 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 8 hours ago

18 by Shirayukin »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

22 by epidemia78 »»
18 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9051 by appledude1221 »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by piroriparopirira »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.