Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 22, 2019 5:27 PM

Jul 2017
english isn't my first language so bear with it but i do think you get the title
so i do believe that there are many ways for an anime to earn your like
and to me, there isn't actually a criteria/ or standards i should say, when it comes to genuinely taking a like to a certain anime(and its not related to rating)
to break down, there are three kinds of 'likes' to me:

a: this kind of like is pretty much feeling-based as i can relate to the anime on a personal level and i feel for the characters, so to the anime, its a win over my emotionality

ex: some romance anime, slice of life/sports anime with fleshed out characters and character development/interaction

b: this kind of like is story-based and this applies to most drama anime or story centric anime with a lot of concepts and ideas;im enjoying anime because the story is well written, and im geniunely curious whats going to happen next after each episode

ex: many shounen anime(attack on titans, one piece, hunter x hunter etc) and thrillers/mystery anime

c: this kind of like is perception-based, because the atmosphere of the anime is so great and i find this anime really thought provoking with its philosophical undertone carried out by the atmosphere and dialogues

ex: most psychological anime, slice of life anime with emphasis on atmosphere

my question for you guys is do you have different kind of likes toward different anime?(your favorites in particular)

and if so, what kind of like(above, a b and c) is the most effective when it comes to earning your like?
Jun 22, 2019 5:54 PM

Aug 2018
Since most of the anime industry is purely based on storylines bringing emotions to the audience, I will say that it is hard for me to find likings. But if I had to have liking standards I would say:

-If it's an adaptation/sequel/prequel (from something that I know), respecting the original material (ex : not changing how things work or look) is sufficient enough for me, because I liked the original anime/manga.

-The anime has to be logical from characters to courses of events and not create irrelevancy (ex: when a character could have easily explain the problem at hand first to avoid issues later on).

-Has an interesting story

-Has nothing that I hate (lolis or teens who are mentally 4 years old)

I would say C because most of the anime that I think are astonishing are ones that focus on dialogues, stakes, music, ambiance and overall message (like my favorite franchise, Gundam or the Devilman manga / Anime).
Jun 22, 2019 6:23 PM

May 2009
I definitely feel that there are many different ways to appreciate an anime series.

Sometimes it's about the story being emotionally gratifying, such as the kind where I find myself cheering when I see good triumph over evil.

Sometimes it's about a story having a particularly interesting setting, one that makes me want to explore it or live there myself.

Sometimes it's about having characters that I find I can relate to, particularly in their perspectives on, ways of, and struggles through life.

Sometimes it's about just having a complex story with lots of moving pieces come together in a spectacular fashion.

Sometimes it's about having an excellent sense of atmosphere that really brings out a rich series of emotions.

Sometimes it's about leaving me with very interesting questions to think about -- some of which may even be quite troubling or unsettling.

Sometimes it's about just leaving me feeling relaxed and/or happy with the world.

Sometimes it's about having a character I really "fall in love with" or otherwise become emotionally attached to.

Sometimes it's about feeling really sad about something that happened.

Sometimes it's about getting a very meaningful life lesson out of it.

And sometimes it's simply about feeling fun or amused.

I've had all of these happen to me before. And I appreciate this about the medium.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 22, 2019 8:53 PM

May 2018
I'm a simple man, if I enjoy an anime regardless of the reason, then it's good.
Jun 23, 2019 1:25 AM

Jan 2010
My enjoyment come mostly from characters. Their interactions, dynamic, relevancy, depth, etc.

No matter how good the story or plot was, if the character does stupid things or is annoying, is a no no for me.

Emotional attachment to the characters is what will bring the most enjoyment out of me.

And to have emotional attachment to the characters, the show have to be able to hook me with the characters itself, the story, athmosphere, etc. So in the end, it's all connected.
Jun 23, 2019 2:05 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really question my enjoyment - meaning I don't like to pick apart a show to find out what exactly makes me like it. Does that makes sense ? It kinda breaks the illusion to know how it hooks me. Of course, would I know I would have it easier to find something to like - maybe.
Recently I watched a series I thought I wouldn't get into, but it had me after 55 seconds ( I actually looked at the runtime cause it baffled me ). Would it make me like that show more if I knew how it hooked me ? I don't think so.
Sorry, getting off topic I think.
To answer your question more properly, I agree there are many ways of liking an anime. It could be answering your questions about life, giving courage, making you laugh on a crappy day or just makes you hold your breath because you don't wanna miss a single frame by even blinking.
I prefer most the ones that make me think a long while after finishing them, the riddles and stuff that confuses you only to perfectly come together in the end with a satisfying conclusion.
So that would mean I think the most effective would be your C , right ?

Jun 23, 2019 2:47 AM

Oct 2015
Simple, make me enjoy it. I don't really care how, surprise me, show audacity, simple or convoluted.

I find it only ostensible that people have an esoteric view of what they like, or how I view it anyway, the way I wish people think at the very least. I'm not getting any younger, so I just take up what I may seem to enjoy, and more often than not, I'd get a simper and a crack, or a hyped moment when a battle is being beaten one-sidedly, showing some sick moves, or my love handles hurting from flirty romance and the pedantic but fun details about a relationship (man, I love reading "chapter 1, already a couple" manga). I just can't get enough of enjoying myself.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Jun 23, 2019 3:30 PM

Nov 2015
THICKTOMATOSAUCE said:
so i do believe that there are many ways for an anime to earn your like and to me, there isn't actually a criteria/ or standards i should say, when it comes to genuinely taking a like to a certain anime (and its not related to rating) to break down, there are three kinds of 'likes' to me:

a: this kind of like is pretty much feeling-based as i can relate to the anime on a personal level and i feel for the characters, so to the anime, its a win over me emotionally

b: this kind of like is story-based and this applies to most drama anime or story-centered anime with a lot of concepts and ideas; I'm enjoying anime because the story is well written, and I'm genuinely curious whats going to happen next after each episode

c: this kind of like is perception-based, because the atmosphere of the anime is so great and i find this anime really thought provoking with its philosophical undertone carried out by the atmosphere and dialogues

my question for you guys is do you have different kind of likes toward different anime? (your favorites in particular)

and if so, what kind of like (a, b or c) is the most effective when it comes to earning your like?

I would say (b) is the most effective for me personally. For (a), I don't think I've ever watched a show that I've related to. I've certainly been able to enjoy shows with simple characters and character development, but aside from just being a nice watch, they aren't usually that moving or impactful to me. (b), on the other hand, is probably the type of enjoyment that is reminiscent of the series I would consider to be my favorites. With all series, especially Shounen, I want to be invested in the story and world-building. I want it to capture my attention and leave me curious at the end of every episode. I consider it a success when a show is able to draw me in every time I watch it. (c), however, is certainly something to notice. There's something really beautiful and profound about deep and philosophical shows like that. I deeply respect any show that makes the effort to craft a engaging message.

Examples of high-scoring shows in each type:
(a) - Kimi no Na wa., Anohana, Wolf Children, and Haikyuu
(b) - Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero, Guilty Crown, and Psycho-Pass
(c) - Ghost in the Shell, Madoka Magica, Code Geass, and Steins;Gate
Jun 23, 2019 4:33 PM

Oct 2008
I have two ways to enjoy anime and get the most from it.

1. The anime that follow my criteria (visuals all encompassing), plot (interesting, original, character development), backstory (all previously mentioned) and ending.

2. Pure entertainment (no need to think to hard and just enjoy the experience. So far for me that includes, characters physically growing up, fanservice, sexual intercorse, high quality expressions of characters (during specific moments) characters quoting a famous or infamous saying and spilling of blood.
Jun 23, 2019 5:51 PM

Oct 2017
THICKTOMATOSAUCE said:
english isn't my first language so bear with it but i do think you get the title
so i do believe that there are many ways for an anime to earn your like
and to me, there isn't actually a criteria/ or standards i should say, when it comes to genuinely taking a like to a certain anime(and its not related to rating)
to break down, there are three kinds of 'likes' to me:

a: this kind of like is pretty much feeling-based as i can relate to the anime on a personal level and i feel for the characters, so to the anime, its a win over my emotionality

ex: some romance anime, slice of life/sports anime with fleshed out characters and character development/interaction

b: this kind of like is story-based and this applies to most drama anime or story centric anime with a lot of concepts and ideas;im enjoying anime because the story is well written, and im geniunely curious whats going to happen next after each episode

ex: many shounen anime(attack on titans, one piece, hunter x hunter etc) and thrillers/mystery anime

ex: most psychological anime, slice of life anime with emphasis on atmosphere

my question for you guys is do you have different kind of likes toward different anime?(your favorites in particular)

and if so, what kind of like(above, a b and c) is the most effective when it comes to earning your like?

I don't know about the details, but I actually really like that basic breakdown of:

1. Emotion
2. Plot
3. Atmosphere

There's minor overlap but they're still quite distinct.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 23, 2019 8:57 PM
Dec 2017
Yeah, I do. I like anime for all sorts of reasons. The most effective ones for me are story based and feeling based, though it does also work with atmosphere.

An anime that gets me emotional is much more likely to get a higher score than an anime that doesn't. I have managed to bond with the characters so it increases my overall enjoyment of the anime. (Examples: Banana Fish, Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia)

When I take a liking to an anime because of the story, something about it is just so gripping and it's hard to stop watching. (Ex: Danganronpa, Erased, 91 Days)

As for atmosphere, I realized its importance while watching psychological anime but it also came into play while I was watching other anime. Sometimes, the atmosphere just makes me so absorbed in the story; I absolutely love when this happens. (Ex: Death Note, Yakusoku no Neverland, Megalo Box)

More topics from this board

» Anime characters you find attractive that many people won't agree with

IssyBoy - Apr 13

42 by mshfqtny »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - 15 minutes ago

2 by Cestlavie_ »»
8 minutes ago

» MAL Frieren fans, let's settle for the best couple

epsilono - 46 minutes ago

4 by Grecefar »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - 6 hours ago

16 by Adnash »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - 11 hours ago

13 by zckfox »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.