Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 21, 2019 6:44 PM
Dec 2017
The manga artist must be in love with literature since ALL of his characters are named after famous writers. Do you he should of named his characters differently? I'm perfectly fine with it.
Jun 22, 2019 5:12 AM
Sep 2017
Of course, it's the name from their famous authors and they even wrote a books..the title of the books, according to the names of the abilities in the BSD..

My English sucks..sorry😂
Jun 22, 2019 7:04 AM
Oct 2017
no, the characters are a disgrace to their namesakes, and their powers are decided in the most brain dead vacuous manner. herman melville's most famous book is moby dick which is about an epic quest for vengeance upon the eponymous white whale, so the character in bungou stray dogs named herman melville has the power... to summon a gigantic airship that looks like a whale? what the fuck? natsume soseki wrote a novel satirizing Meiji society called i am a cat so he has the power... to turn into a cat? who fucking wrote this shit? that is the dumbest, most obvious, surface-level logic put into deciding the powers. who wrote this shit, an actual 8 year old? no interest in literature is required, all you have to have is basic reading comprehension and the ability to google "famous authors." did the author ask his kid to come up with these powers? like what the fuck is this garbage? "oh i found margaret mitchell. what's her most famous book? gone with the wind? oh... so her power is that she can summon lots of powerful wind that can make things 'gone.' we'll call it a weathering ability so it makes some sort of real life sense." i can guarantee you this is the exact thought process the dude had when he created this character.
Jun 23, 2019 2:30 AM

Feb 2015
Honestly naming such characters after famous writers seems a little pretentious to me, and even quite pointless since their personality and ability have sometimes little to do with them and their works. But well, it's just about using references, many manga and anime do that.

Just don't recommend watching BSD to a person that asks an anime about litterature, since BSD isn't that kind of anime. There is Aoi Bungaku Series for that (not every episode is good though).

bitchassdarius said:
natsume soseki wrote a novel satirizing Meiji society called i am a cat so he has the power... to turn into a cat?

I don't think Natsume's ability in BSD is only about turning into a cat. Dazai talked about "clairvoyance", if I recall clearly. The novel I Am a Cat was about a cat observing a household and society and thus knowing everything happening in it without anyone paying attention to him, that quite matches with the character in BSD I think.

I'm currently reading Dostoevsky (The Brothers Karamazov), and for now I must say I don't see any ressemblance with the character in BSD though. x)
Jun 23, 2019 5:30 AM

May 2016
Yeah, but I'm still waiting for a character who is named after a famous Hungarian writer.
-
Jun 28, 2019 8:46 AM

Mar 2017
Do u realise that Bungou means Literary right? The fact that they're named after authors, have abilities named after their novels and their personalities are similar to the authors is literally the whole point of the anime? So the mangaka's choice of names are perfect haha
Jun 28, 2019 8:52 AM

Apr 2018
Of course! The names are unique and are the names of famous authors rather than those over used names that other animes uses
Jun 29, 2019 6:19 AM
Oct 2010
I don't mind, but I wonder what the authors think about it ^^
Maybe it's the mangaka's way of showing gratitude or admiration towards them. And it might make ppl curious to read their works, get some glory.
and knowing their life background may give u some hints/references in the manga.

Dazai tried to commit suicide but failed and overcome is drug addiction. But later, he commited suicide with his lover, a beautiful woman, and the police called it 'couple suicide' (心中). one of his famous work is 人間失格/ningen sikkaku.
not all the characters are as similar tho, like Nakajima Atsushi didn't grow up in an orphanage.
Jul 1, 2019 5:34 AM
Apr 2019
To me , Bungou Stray Dogs has the best character design and the best naming of characters alongside Hunter x Hunter.
Jul 2, 2019 6:04 AM
Jan 2017
i have no strong feeling about the names
but
Pineapplepirate said:
The manga artist must be in love with literature since ALL of his characters are named after famous writers..

really? you must try FGO (or any fate series in general) anyone behind that game is the biggest history geek you'd ever seen
Jul 4, 2019 1:31 PM

Nov 2010
EckhartPilgrim said:

I'm currently reading Dostoevsky (The Brothers Karamazov), and for now I must say I don't see any ressemblance with the character in BSD though. x)

It's because obviously is ability is "Crime And Punishment" Dostoevsky's most famous novel. That's why the character is so obsessed about punishing the gifted which he perceives as sinners. Although the novel is more about the guilt of the sin he committed that makes the protagonist go a bit insane and the punishment he gets from it.
Oct 23, 2021 9:58 PM
Dec 2017
yeah i found the naming to be cool

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2019

149 by Virtecek »»
Apr 7, 2:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2019

98 by Virtecek »»
Apr 7, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2019

72 by Virtecek »»
Apr 7, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2019

84 by Virtecek »»
Apr 7, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2019

84 by Virtecek »»
Apr 5, 5:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.