Forum Settings
Forums

Which one is worse for your enjoyment: boredom or (non-boredom) annoyance?

New
Jun 21, 2019 2:13 PM

May 2009
I've noticed some people say stuff like this:

rohan121 said:
The worst a show can be is borring which I do not consider it borring.

But I've noticed that boredom gets me to rate something "meh". My really low scores tend to be when a show actively did something to annoy me -- like the plot took a turn that didn't make sense in my opinion, or characters did things that were unwarrantedly stupid, or something like that.

So I'm just curious, which one of these is worse for your watching experience -- feeling bored with the show, or having the show actively do something that irritates you? Alternatively, are you more okay with a show not having much happening, or more okay with a show having stuff happening that goes against what you'd like to see?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 21, 2019 2:15 PM

Feb 2013
for me it's the boring generic stuff that gets low rating
though also the irritating case, but that is more rare
Jun 21, 2019 2:23 PM

Sep 2018
I would say boredom is worse. I can overlook a show being ridiculous and dumb if it can entertain like with the ending of Re Creators. For a show to annoy me it requires some investment of interest.
Jun 21, 2019 2:35 PM

Jul 2016
At least with stuff I actively dislike, there is at least a chance to gain enjoyment from hating by making fun of it, or showing it to friends to laugh at it. Always tryin' to see the good in the bad, that's me. But, you can't really do that if a show is just, like, dull.
There's also some other reasons why someone might watch a show they don't like. Like, I'm watching Naruto Shippuden right now, and I'm slowly realising how much I hate it, but I'm gonna watch all 500 episodes because I started it when I was in high school and never finished it. Now I'm at the end of college, I think it would make a good bookend.
Jun 21, 2019 2:40 PM

Apr 2014
for me boring stuff gets put on on-hold forever
by the time i get around to it, i usually forget a lot of stuff lol
idk if a show has "annoyed me" other than trying to on purpose with how the plot is designed, but that would be a + for actually invoking emotions
RedPlatyJun 21, 2019 2:44 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
well irritating Anime can be for the most part good but pisses me off for various reasons.
I.E - "Kuzu No Honkai" , "Cross Ange" they both had various reasons that made me rather angry, frustrated. Honkai made me mixture of pissed off and depressed as I rather hate any sort of casual intimacy for whatever non vanilla romance reason. Ange had infuriating scenes and lead character annoyed me alot.

But in the end they were as whole rather good Anime, just personal enjoyment value suffered a lot because of reasons.

Whilst.. Anime just bores the hell out me.... I just end up dropping them. But watching Anime that isn't boring enough to drop and basically is on the balance of dropping or not.. those type of series can be annoying. Those I usually end up watching 1-2 ep a day. Whilst good anime I binge a lot.

so I'll vote to boredom.

Jul 2017
I'd say boredom is the worse of the 2 mainly because it becomes a pain to finish. Like it was pretty hard to get through shows like Medaka Box and GJ-bu and to some extent Genshiken fully.

That being said irritated isn't that much better either. However I find at least with a frustrating show like School Days, it does give that motivation to see how it all is gonna play out
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Annoyance is far worse when I'm watching something solo because I don't sit there and make jokes to myself about how terrible something is - if I sat there laughing at my own jokes in private, I'd question my sanity - and chances are if I'm annoyed at something I'm actually fucking annoyed and pissed off about it and not laughing about it. A laughably bad show and an infuriatingly bad show are two separate things, and annoyance seems more aligned with the latter than the former.

Boredom is just a waste of time and it's not offensive in of itself. It's dull and I'd probably either alt tab a lot with it running in the background or drop it, which is what I've usually done in those instances. I'm not annoyed, I'm just not at all interested in anything its doing.

If I'm watching it with other people, boredom is worse because riffing on a bad show can thrive in a simulwatch environment. I've watched shows that I feel like I would've disliked on my own and had a great time watching them when we simul'd it over in the club. Boredom doesn't open up that realm of possibility.

Since I do watch most stuff on my own at the end of the day, though, boring is still preferable to annoying or infuriating.

Jun 21, 2019 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Irritate as in unpleasant compare to watching nothing-is-happening anime which is why i tend to skip heavy drama genre most the time.

I particularly get irritate to innocent misunderstandings carries like a main focus of the episodes, it is painful to watch. Doesn't mean extended period of empty fillers are better, they are boring to a point that it gets irritating as well.
Jun 21, 2019 2:50 PM

Jan 2013
Being irritated at a show is way worse than just being bored with it.
Jun 21, 2019 2:55 PM

Feb 2008
I will happily watch a garbage show if there's something entertaining about it: a character I like, good music or animation, etc. But if it's a chore to watch then even a decent anime will end up in my dropped list pretty quickly. That's why some of the anime I dropped are rated as high as a 5.
Jun 21, 2019 2:58 PM

Oct 2010
Boredom is worse, that means that the show has nothing to keep my attention and I'm a pretty easy guy to please, let's say the show is trash and very boring, nothing happens, yet, if they have a one ecchi scene per episode or just a cute/hot girl in order for me to watch her, it's enough. The last monogatari was atrocious, boring beyond despair, truly a disaster, but it had hot girls.

If a show annoys me, I'll get over it, it's not like I will get annoyed every single episode.
Jun 21, 2019 3:45 PM

Sep 2014
Ummm, there aren't many shows that actively irritate me.
There have been a few, like Shigatsu, Onegai Teacher or Sankarea, these varied from annoying to just infuriating in case of Shitgatsu, but these are so rare and most negative experiences are much more mild than that.

If a show is frustrating like that then it's definitely worse than just being boring. I find it baffling that this is even a question, being frustrated is definitely worse than being bored. If you're bored, you drop the, the feeling ends. Annoyance can persist.

But if by irritating we also mean milder feelings like 'damn this is stupid' and 'how does that make sense' and generally just questioning the quality of the show than I take that over being boring. I know there's been a lot of talk on this forum (at least few months back) about importance of 'execution' and it's a favourite word of some MALers but personally I am not sure if I entirely agree. I'd rather watch something that feels trashy yet fresh (Mirai Nikki comes to mind) over something that's decently put together, but boring and done hundreds of times before.
Jun 21, 2019 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
Boredom is worse and deserves a 1 if it's completely boring. Not a 5 like a lot of people think. Annoyance can be cause for analysis making the experience not feel like a waste of time.

If it annoyed me due to its depth or power, then that's a good thing. If it annoyed me because of how badly told the story was, then it's a horrible thing and is usually worse than something that was really boring.

That's why I liked Glasslip more than Shigatsu or RahXephon for example even though I gave all of them 1. It's essentially deciding which shit is cleaner which is kinda pointless. If I thought it was bad, it was bad.
Jun 21, 2019 3:53 PM

May 2015
There could be a lot of stuff going on but still boring. When the plot gets so over the top that I just don't care anymore. That's annoying and I'd consider it a bad show.

If the show is boring in a sense that it is too slow and not much happens, well, it depends on how good it is in general. But I most likely would just drop it and forget with no hard feelings.
Jun 21, 2019 3:55 PM

Dec 2016
If a show is boring, then that in and of itself irritates me, so...

I guess if I had to pick then I would say annoyance is worse. If a show is just boring or nothing special, I will probably give it a score of around a 5/10, which would just make it average.

What's the difference?
Jun 21, 2019 3:59 PM

May 2018
I'm gonna have to go with annoyance, because with boredom, it just becomes a dull chore to watch when the pacing is too sluggish and/or nothing in the anime is interesting at all, or in rare cases, I nearly fall asleep due to how boring it is. *CoughDynamicChordcough*

Annoyance, on the other hand and in my opinion, has more problematic elements, such as unlikable characters, clichés I can't stand, or the overall story that took a turn for the worst.
FaidraGalaxyJun 21, 2019 4:06 PM
Jun 21, 2019 4:47 PM

Jun 2013
Being boring is definitely worse, and will almost certainly swiftly lead to the anime in question finding itself on my Dropped list. On the other hand, if it's bad in a way that makes me laugh or pisses me off I'll probably finish it because at least I'm getting something out of it.
Jun 21, 2019 4:48 PM
Feb 2017
If I'm bored, why would I continue with a show?
Jun 21, 2019 4:50 PM

May 2014
Being bored is the worst offender. At least getting annoyed is entertaining in it's own way.
Jun 21, 2019 4:56 PM

Jan 2009
i just recently dropped Kaiba since its fucking boring to me

meanwhile i still enjoy Revisions even though the characters are annoying
Jun 21, 2019 5:06 PM
Jul 2018
Even shows in the past that I watched with hate, I enjoyed to some degree. So yes, I prefer a show to be annoying > boring.
Jun 21, 2019 5:18 PM

Oct 2008
Boring is basically "still bearable". However when an anime pisses you off or irritates you, it can urn the worst score possible if not just be dropped then and there.

Even the most boring show I have ever seen, I would still rate a 2/10. But a show that for whatever reason angered or annoyed me, out of pure spite I would rate it a 1/10. Regardless of how high quality it is, or how good the story is up until a point or how well characters were developed.
Jun 21, 2019 5:55 PM

May 2014
Boredom because I like to stay awake when I watch stuff.

I'll be out ridin' my pony until it's time for candy
And I'll be naked, because I want to

Jun 21, 2019 6:00 PM

Dec 2012
Both boredom and consistent annoyance would result in a drop, so it's about equal.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 21, 2019 9:00 PM
Feb 2012
both are reasons to stop watching but I get bored at more shows than I get annoyed at
Jun 21, 2019 9:10 PM

Oct 2013
I mean, I can annoyed by something and still find an anime entertaining. There's been countless anime with characters that annoyed me to no end but I still liked the rest of it.
Jun 21, 2019 11:18 PM

Sep 2017
deg said:

I think Revisions is kinda watchable because of how silly it take itself to be. It knows the MC is fucking annoying and it constantly makes fun of him. The shows knows itself to be a kind of a parody of shounen shows like Attack of Titan. This kind of ironic attitude is what makes it OK to be stupid.

Meanwhile the truly unbearable ones are shows like Nagi no Asu kara which features a bunch of annoying kids and has taken itself very seriously as if those senseless, contrived melodrama has anything to teach us about humanity.
Jun 21, 2019 11:32 PM

Jan 2009
CHC said:
deg said:

I think Revisions is kinda watchable because of how silly it take itself to be. It knows the MC is fucking annoying and it constantly makes fun of him. The shows knows itself to be a kind of a parody of shounen shows like Attack of Titan. This kind of ironic attitude is what makes it OK to be stupid.

Meanwhile the truly unbearable ones are shows like Nagi no Asu kara which features a bunch of annoying kids and has taken itself very seriously as if those senseless, contrived melodrama has anything to teach us about humanity.

ye and also the time travel plot is good enough on Revisions

and i never seen Nagi no Asu kara so i cannot comment on that
Jun 21, 2019 11:43 PM

Oct 2014
An exceedingly boring show, especially if it's properly structured and told consistently, is devoid of emotional responses and as a result creates a lack of interest for discussion. Forgettable.

An exceedingly annoying show is something i can rant about and enjoy the rant.

Boredom is the antithesis of entertainment, i think it's the worst thing you can feel about something from an entertainment industry.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 22, 2019 12:34 AM

Dec 2017
This is actually one of the more balanced polls I've seen here on AD compared to the lopsided 90/10 polls.

Being bored shows that I'm not really enjoying it at all. While being annoyed by something may hurt my opinion of the show, there's still other parts of it that I can enjoy.

It's just I have zero motivation to watch something if it bores me. Why bother when I could use that time for something else?
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Jun 22, 2019 12:35 AM

May 2009
Reina_Orikasa said:
This is actually one of the more balanced polls I've seen here on AD compared to the lopsided 90/10 polls.
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised to see it be this close.
Jun 22, 2019 1:24 AM

Aug 2018
This is a very interesting question because I drop a lot of shows for both reasons.

If I had to choose, I find shows that irritate me to be worse than shows that bore me. For example, I stopped reading Fairy Tail after its tournament arc because it kept making me angry. It was just bullshit after bullshit after bullshit, like it just did not stop. I just kept getting more and more angry every week at what I saw and knew I had to drop it because it was not a healthy thing to consume.

On the flip side, I'm watching Hitori no Bocchi this season, and for the most part, I think its average and boring a lot of the times. However, it has enough strong moments for me with its occasional fluff and laugh out loud humor that I'm still willing to continue to watch it. It doesn't really do anything spectacular, but it doesn't really do anything abhorrent either. I'm just simply content with it and it's one of my favorites from the Spring 2019 lineup.
FrankyPJun 22, 2019 1:28 AM
Jun 22, 2019 1:27 AM

Mar 2017
boredom is worse for me, I just think of my precious time being wasted while trying to bear it because it might get better, mostly it doesn't
Jun 22, 2019 1:48 AM

May 2018
I think boredom is worse for me. Irritated only means the show is still good.
Jun 22, 2019 2:12 AM

Nov 2014
In the moment annoyance it's worst, because it makes me hate what i'm watching, while boredom just makes me indefferent, so my feelings towards the show can be less negative. But after some time, i forgot the shows that bore, meanwhile i can still remenbers the shows that annoyed me. So i'll say annoynace is worse, because that makes a bad show stick with me even if i want it to go away.
Jun 22, 2019 12:31 PM

Jul 2016
Boredom. Stuff like Mushishi/Haibane Renmei and all that other unimaginative stuff.

I'd rather watch stuff that annoys me like School Days, at least that Anime brings the emotion and excitement out of me.
Jun 22, 2019 12:45 PM

Jul 2016
Definitely boredom. If it irritates me it's at least engaging on some level and I can pick apart what irritates me. Boring anime are just a chore to sit through.
Jun 22, 2019 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
For me boring is worse, imo it's simply not possible to enjoy something and be bored by the same thing at the same time. I am watching for enjoyment, hence boring stuff lands in my Dropped or On Hold ( forever ) list. I don't ever feel obligated to finish anything, it's not my job, it's entertainment.
Doesn't mean it's bad in general, and maybe some day I'll be in the right mood to even finish the - formerly perceived as - boring stuff who knows.

I also choose the boring option cause I can't really name more than one show that I dropped because it annoyed me. It happens almost never, but the result would be the same, so in the end it doesn't matter. What I can't enjoy, won't be watched.
Jun 22, 2019 1:08 PM

Aug 2016
I see boring can make a bad to mediocre show and actively annoying can make a shit to bad show
Jun 22, 2019 1:20 PM

Sep 2017
The ultimate truth is this,i can pull through a boring show if i really want to but true annoyance comes when i want to watch something bc im bored but i cant decide on what to watch so i can spend days planning on what to watch just to end up watching NOTHING

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jun 22, 2019 1:47 PM

Oct 2017
Huh... I'm really surprised this is so close. I don't really get annoyed or irritated by anime. My enjoyment is on a level which begins at zero. The only time I hold any animostiy towards a show is more for an ideological reasons that have nothing to do with the show. I sometimes rant about MP100 for how ugly art can be overlooked by so many just because it's animated well and how the character development gets played up as though it's the best, most-depth character development ever when it's merely very good. I'll moan about Carole & Tuesday for being the exact opposite of otaku-bait; how it wears a polished, refined looking skin which appeals to people who don't like the typical cute, big-eyed anime style and then those people then praise it as the best thing ever but guarenteed they wouldn't be saying that if it actually looked like anime. But in both these cases, I don't hold too much animosity towards the shows themselves. As I said, it's more the ideologies at work around the community reactions.

Lunilah said:
An exceedingly boring show, especially if it's properly structured and told consistently, is devoid of emotional responses and as a result creates a lack of interest for discussion. Forgettable.

An exceedingly annoying show is something i can rant about and enjoy the rant.

Boredom is the antithesis of entertainment, i think it's the worst thing you can feel about something from an entertainment industry.

Other than the bit about "annoying" shows (honestly, I still have no clue how people could allow themselves to get annoyed at shows...), I fully agree with eveything else said. I believe emotional response should be held in the highest regard when assessing anime and if there is none at all then it has completely failed.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 22, 2019 2:06 PM

May 2009
YossaRedMage said:
Huh... I'm really surprised this is so close.
Yeah, I actually expected a lopsided response against my preference, based on sentiments I'd seen aired in the forum here, but I guess it's quite different from my impressions. (Or maybe I didn't word it properly? I can't really tell for this...)

YossaRedMage said:
I believe emotional response should be held in the highest regard when assessing anime and if there is none at all then it has completely failed.
I also agree with the prioritization of my emotional response (though my cognitive response also factors into my ability to feel impressed by a show), but perhaps more saliently, I feel that my opinion of a show can go down below your "zero" which I just see as a neutral reaction.
Jun 22, 2019 2:09 PM
Jul 2018
If it's boring I don't finish it. I get irritated for actual reasons.
Jun 22, 2019 2:27 PM

Jul 2017
boredom because if i cannot feel anything for the anime itself im sure im not enjoying it at all
Jun 22, 2019 2:46 PM

Oct 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I also agree with the prioritization of my emotional response (though my cognitive response also factors into my ability to feel impressed by a show), but perhaps more saliently, I feel that my opinion of a show can go down below your "zero" which I just see as a neutral reaction.

Yeah, what you say makes sense, but for some reason I can't relate to it.

I think you worded it pretty well.

I think... this might be related to how I don't really watch stuff with any kind of expectations and I don't see what happens in the plot as a choice where there's someone (the author/production team) to get mad at - at least, not while watching.

I can imagine if someone is watching a show and a character does something which one didn't expect and they thought it would have been better another way then that would be really annoying. To be fair, I do very rarely do that, but I'm quite self-aware of the fact that most of the time the story is just the story to me and I follow along without thinking too much about the anime as 'production', if that makes sense.

So I sort of sit at a base of 0 and when things work for me in the story the number goes up but when they don't I just stay at zero. Whereas maybe if someone is thinking of how the plot point / character decision / whatever would have been better another way, then their enjoyment would go below zero... for reasons... I've worded all this really badly lol and I'm not even sure I know what I'm trying to say. I'll post anyway in case anyone can pull anything meaningful out of it lol.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 22, 2019 2:51 PM

Dec 2015
I use to thought it was boredom, until I saw High School of the Dead, and basically every single thing about the show annoyed me a lot. I never felt a level of anger towards a show like this
Jun 22, 2019 2:51 PM

May 2009
YossaRedMage said:
I think... this might be related to how I don't really watch stuff with any kind of expectations
I actually do the same thing too, but I think it's just that at the end of it I ask myself whether I liked it or not, and "meh" sits at the middle of that scale.
Jun 22, 2019 2:58 PM

Oct 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
YossaRedMage said:
I think... this might be related to how I don't really watch stuff with any kind of expectations
I actually do the same thing too, but I think it's just that at the end of it I ask myself whether I liked it or not, and "meh" sits at the middle of that scale.

Fair play. Swing and a miss with that theory I guess.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 22, 2019 3:58 PM

Jul 2017
why do we need to rate which one is the worst? both can destroy an anime imo but usualy potentialy good anime are wasted because of annoyance whearas with boredome, it feels like it was bad to begin with so nothing is wasted anyway.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
6 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Today

20 by Oofmastre9000 »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

20 by AverageRiceFan »»
22 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 2 hours ago

3 by AverageRiceFan »»
26 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.