Forum Settings
Forums

When rating anime why do so many people rate before they are done with the series?

New
Jun 20, 2019 9:04 AM

Feb 2019
I discovered this when looking at people's profiles in forums or my friends list. I saw some people rating shows when they were 2 eps in. Why?
Jun 20, 2019 9:06 AM

Sep 2018
It could be people`s initial thoughts on the anime so far. It can be changed over time at any point on mal if a user changes their mind.
Jun 20, 2019 9:07 AM

May 2019
idk why they doing it after ep 2 but after half of series are normal...
Jun 20, 2019 9:07 AM

Oct 2018
A specific scene that got to them like how ep 1 of Goblin Slayer got to me.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jun 20, 2019 9:08 AM

May 2019
Dedli said:
A specific scene that got to them like how ep 1 of Goblin Slayer got to me.~

AHahahahhah yeah it was kinda memorable xD
Jun 20, 2019 9:08 AM

Feb 2019
rohan121 said:
It could be people`s initial thoughts on the anime so far. It can be changed over time at any point on mal if a user changes their mind.

I just feel like placing initial thoughts on an anime is unnecessary since you really have nothing to base those assumptions so early in the series.
Jun 20, 2019 9:10 AM

Feb 2019
Aklis said:
idk why they doing it after ep 2 but after half of series are normal...

Yea I know, I saw one guy who watched one ep of AoT S2 P2 and he gave it a 10. I know the show is impressive but that just feels like mob mentality to me.
Jun 20, 2019 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
rohan121 said:

Pretty much this. It serves as a way so that other people who check out their currently watching list, know how they feel about the series so far. I think this is obvious. I don't understand why a thread needed to be made about this.
Jun 20, 2019 9:17 AM

Aug 2017
Dude, the first episode is important. I rate it and then my score disappear when I watch the second one (except if its a 2 cour anime or more). My score for the first episode goes up or down while I'm watching the rest of the show.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 20, 2019 9:23 AM

May 2009

I typically don't rate before I've finished, unless I've dropped the show. And I don't rate all drops either, just those that I have enough of an opinion on to mark it.

Basically this:
rohan121 said:
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 20, 2019 9:24 AM

Aug 2015
never understood that either
like after 1 episode you see people raising the score of an airing anime
then the next episode (bad one for example) those same people lower the score

so the scores keep flip flopping

for me i dont rate airing anime (unless its an long running one) .. i only rate the ones i dropped or i fully completed
Jun 20, 2019 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
If I have seen x episodes of any show and there is a rating ( I don't always do it ), then the rating is for the x episodes I have seen, not for the whole series obviously.
I change ratings around a lot while watching, and since I am allowed to do it, I will continue to rate shows like that. The ending can raise or drop it 1, but most of the times it stays the same.
If you don't like to rate a series, you haven't watched yet in its entirety, then don't. Your ratings, your rules.
Jun 20, 2019 9:31 AM

Oct 2010
How I do it and I'll use Noein as an ex: When I watched the 1st episode I scored it a 6 because the kids were annoying and the animation was weird, by the time we get to ep 6-7 i gave it a 7 because I liked it, when I saw a little more, about ep 15-20 I was really captivated so I gave it an 8. The final episodes were like: wow, this is the best thing I saw since FMAB, Death Note and Eva, this was great, one of the best anime ever created, and I scored it 9. And believe it or not, after a few months I rewatched it and I discovered that it was too good compared to other garbage I scored 9 so now Noein it's a 10. Why wait 6 months to rate an anime?
Jun 20, 2019 9:34 AM

Oct 2015
Because they probably start watching early on and have a few weeks to reflect on how they feel about the show in-between episodes. It doesn't change much since they can always alter their score at any given point.
Jun 20, 2019 9:56 AM

Mar 2015
Because I rate anime for the feelings they give to me, and sometimes I know how to rate it in the first episodes. And when I'm not sure or some part are doing wrong ( the second part of Dororo for exemple ), I suspend them.

It's how I work but I won't be able to put more than a 7/8 to an anime which I saw only 2 episodes so far.
Jun 20, 2019 11:09 AM

Aug 2011
I rate anime before I've finished it, and I can't think of any good reason not to. My ratings reflect my feeling about a series based on what I've seen of it so far, whether that's 2 episodes, or the whole series, and those early ratings aren't set in stone. If I feel differently about an anime as I watch it, I can always just change my rating.

I would say that my final rating, after completing a series, is the same as my early rating at least 90% of time. And when it's different, it's usually only by 1 point higher or lower.
Jun 20, 2019 11:12 AM

Sep 2017
I don't see any problem with giving your initial thoughts on an anime. MAL doesn't take into account scores before you watch a fifth of the anime anyways. By that point, you should have a decent impression as to the quality of the show. I personally wait until after I have finished the show, but there isn't a problem with giving an initial impression.
Jun 20, 2019 11:18 AM

Aug 2018
Usually I don't rate airing anime.
Except when the anime/manga is too long and/or I dunno when it will end so I rate it before completing.
Jun 20, 2019 1:29 PM

Oct 2013
Gytanzo said:
I don't see any problem with giving your initial thoughts on an anime. MAL doesn't take into account scores before you watch a fifth of the anime anyways. By that point, you should have a decent impression as to the quality of the show. I personally wait until after I have finished the show, but there isn't a problem with giving an initial impression.

It also give person that looked at your list, to know how you feel currently for a series.
Jun 20, 2019 3:01 PM

Nov 2009
because it's not a requirement to finish an anime before scoring it.
Jun 20, 2019 4:15 PM

May 2014
I do it sometimes since i can get a feel for what score the show is before it's finished. It's easy enough to change it anyway.
Jun 20, 2019 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
I do that if it gets really frustrating to watch. However, rating on-going anime/manga can constantly change so
Jun 20, 2019 4:37 PM

Feb 2016
If the anime causes me a very good/bad impression early on, I rate it. The score might change after it finishes tho.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jun 20, 2019 4:43 PM

Feb 2016
Gytanzo said:
MAL doesn't take into account scores before you watch a fifth of the anime anyways.

I'm not really sure that's true, since most of seasonal anime has quite the elevated score at the beginning, unless the logic behind it implies that watching 1 out of 1 episodes available is the fifth of the anime.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jun 20, 2019 4:58 PM

Dec 2015
I've tried to understand why people are pissed with giving the score while watching, but I couldn't find a logical explanation. In fact, reading the answers here only conviced me it is the right thing to do. There is no problem in rating the show after watching the first episode because you can easilly analyse the first episode and give it a rate. If something gets better or worse on the series, the score will rise or fall. Simple as that
Jun 20, 2019 5:23 PM

Dec 2015
Beacuse everyone dosen't rate the same way.

5 minutes is normal enough time for me to rate a show, if I'm wrong with my raiting when the show is finished it's normal goes up by one point or down with one point.

Everyone doesn't need to watch 500 eps before giving the anime a score.
And we shoud be damn happy over the case that everyone in here is not the same. It woud be a damn boring community then.

Jun 21, 2019 1:08 AM
May 2014
I agree that strange. I never rate in till I've seen ever ep.
Jun 21, 2019 1:09 AM

Nov 2011
Because you can rate anime whenever you want.

Jun 21, 2019 1:43 AM
Dec 2017
Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't usually consider ratings when the anime has only a few episodes released. Personally, I only rate anime that I've finished or have seen a lot of. Other people probably just prefer to change their score over time rather than waiting until it's finished airing.
Jun 21, 2019 1:52 AM

Jan 2008
I don't see why not.

First few episodes are very important in order to hook you in. It's natural to rate your first impressions of a show. If it gets better or worse, I can easily change my score.

Jun 21, 2019 2:18 AM

Jun 2010
Rating is a personal preference and choice.

I don't usually keep track of the ratings, since my purpose of having the list here is to keep track of the anime/manga I watch/read - the series and the number of episodes and chapters. However I do put in the ratings for my personal reference. I will eventually change the rating after sometime, say when I finish the series. If it is an ongoing series, the rating will continue to stay till the series finally finishes.

In the past when I was moderating in another forum, I did full review of every chapter and episode on a weekly basis. In that series, I would include a rating of that particular chapter/episode at the end of my review.

In MAL, they are general opinion of anime or manga people watch or read. I don't think there is a need to read them. Of course, read it by all means if one is interested, and don't get too bothered about what other people think. It is your personal enjoyment that is important to you.
ProGoddessJun 21, 2019 2:21 AM
Jun 21, 2019 8:05 AM

Mar 2016
Darklord_bg said:
I don't see why not.

First few episodes are very important in order to hook you in. It's natural to rate your first impressions of a show. If it gets better or worse, I can easily change my score.

My sentiments exactly. I mean, first impressions may not be everything, but they can mean a lot.
Jun 21, 2019 8:10 AM

May 2018
Because this is your temporary score based on the watched episodes...it could change or not but why hide it?
Jun 21, 2019 8:16 AM
Oct 2017
I always give a first rating after 3 episodes (kind of like a 3 episode rule but for ratings) and that score can change up until I've finished it, the ratings are just what I think of the show at that time,

For example, when I started watching Violet Evergarden, I really wasn't impressed with it and had it as a 5, but as the show went on I grew to really enjoy it and the score went up to a 9.
Jun 21, 2019 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
Why not?
We could usually change it if our opinion changed
Jun 21, 2019 2:43 PM

Jul 2016
Don't see it, unless it's really long (70+) then I am not bound to give my opinion on a series until it ends.
Jun 22, 2019 8:29 AM

Apr 2014
i like to see how my scores change over time, which can affect the final score
Jun 22, 2019 4:18 PM

Nov 2018
I usually rate mid way through to basically rate the first half, because usually once you are finished with it you remember the latest episodes much better and will base your rating on those last episodes. So when I already scored it half way through I have a number to look at and think about whether it has gotten better or worse.
Jun 22, 2019 4:22 PM

Jun 2015
I never quite understood that myself. Opinions take a while to form and are prone to change, especially on a series you've just started. When I rated an uncompleted show, it's only ever when I'm near the end.

Having a number in your head constantly is only going to hinder your experience with a show, film, game, or what else. It's best to save those thoughts for when they've really taken form.
Jun 22, 2019 4:44 PM

Jul 2017
you don't have to finish a series in order to judge it
i think for a 12 episode anime, 5 episodes are more than enough to give you an idea of whats going on in the anime how good/bad it is for you
Jun 23, 2019 4:02 PM

Nov 2015
I think they can just tell how well they will like a series by the end. A lot of people have their own defined tastes so it really doesn't need to take that long to get a general feel for the show.

For me specifically I only score things I'm currently watching if they are part of a series I've completed already, because I find that I always end up giving the same score to a whole series anyways. For everything else, though, I'll wait until I've finished it to give it a score.
Jun 30, 2019 6:24 AM

Jul 2016
Those anime already had enough content in those episodes for them to know how they feel.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 27 minutes ago

3 by IpreferEcchi »»
2 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

24 by rohan121 »»
4 minutes ago

» What else would be in your Favorites if you had MAL Supporter? (10 additional slots)

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

7 by TRC_Randy »»
8 minutes ago

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - 58 minutes ago

8 by mizukasa »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 4 hours ago

23 by Leer »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.