Forum Settings
Forums

What anime that was highly rated or recommended did you just dislike? or What anime that was rated poorly did you end of loving?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

Jun 19, 10:17 AM

In my case I loved Quintessential Quintuplets even though I've grown to dislike harem anime this one stood out as being special (I explain why in my review).

I disliked NGNL, the show was just absolute chaos with a standard "I'm going to outsmart you protagonist", incest vibes and standard harem cast.

Jun 19, 10:18 AM

Steins Gate 0 was absolutely a terrible sequel and should have never happened.

Jun 19, 10:42 AM

I mean there are plenty and I mean tens of shows that are rated high that I didn't like much or at all, but Texhnolyze is probably the one that disappointed me the most becuase it kept being recommended by people I thought had similar taste to mine, and I didn't like it one bit.

Klad said:

This for sure. Always happy to see this expressed, and saying it's good or necessary is a disservice to the original in my eyes.

Jun 19, 10:51 AM

Wait how does Quintessential Quintuplets relate in any way to the original question? It's not poorly rated and you liked it?

But to answer, A Place Further Than The Universe. idk just found everybody to be annoying. Not anime, but the manga for Quintessential Quintuplets as well, not really getting the feeling of it being the harem coming of Christ it's made out to be
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Jun 19, 10:52 AM

One-Punch Man was probably the most overrated anime I've seen.
It was one joke being repeated throughout the duration of entire season.
Thankfully people are now at 2 season realizing that it was overrated all along.

As for underrated Legend of Galactic Heroes 2018 remake
I feel like a lot people don't Like cause it is a remake, and while I haven't seen original I thought that remake was very fun watch. Also the fact that it has a similar art style like Kuroko no Basket made it that much more enjoyable.

Also Reinhard is such a husbando material ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Jun 19, 11:06 AM

a lot to list, but most recent highly rated anime (movie) i watched was "your name" which disappointed me terribly.

Jun 19, 11:08 AM

KindUnicorn said:

I came to this thread to say this. I'm usually all for this kind of ridiculous humor, but One Punch Man was way too repetitive for my taste. I couldn't finish it.

I also couldn't finish the new LotGH. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I haven't seen the masterpiece that is the original.

Attack on Titan - Endless cliffhangers for forced tension and as a marketing gimmick led to me dropping it in the second season out of frustration. I can't stand a show that wants its entire appeal to be milking a feeling of blue balls for an entire season. When it comes to shows that people talk about as contributing to the climate of a mad dash for buzz around the seasonal airings but not leaving lasting value, this seems like the biggest culprit out of what I've seen.

As for one that has a poor reputation in the anime community or a low rating that I love and is among my favorites, I'd say Angel Cop. It's a series of OVAs from the late 80s to early 90s and is a sci-fi action thriller involving communist terrorists and insurgents modeled on the Japanese Red Army being used for false flag terrorism as proxies for the U.S. government against Japan. It's controversial because of the political implications of the conspiracy plot and because of a heavily edited, censored, and cartoonish English dub most people saw that was plastered on top of it. For those familiar with the geopolitical atmosphere of the end of the Cold War period from 1989-91, it's very reminiscent of that time period and is both a provocative political thriller and a time capsule, albeit with flaws and rushed due to its short length.

Imaishi said:
I mean there are plenty and I mean tens of shows that are rated high that I didn't like much or at all, but Texhnolyze is probably the one that disappointed me the most becuase it kept being recommended by people I thought had similar taste to mine, and I didn't like it one bit.

Texhnolyze is one I've been cautiously staying away from because I just have a sneaking suspicion its lack of dialogue and narrative style will end up pissing me off. It's great, even vital and incredibly rewarding, to explore rich themes, but for me they have to be told in at least semi-accessible way and that isn't the impression I get from anything I've ever read on it or watched from or about it.

It's recommended all the time for people who loved SEL (Lain). Personally, I love Lain but it's one of the only pieces of media that ever fit the expression thrown around about enjoying and appreciating something a lot more on a rewatch (that is said about a lot of shows and films covering esoteric topics or that employ confusing storytelling techniques, but I've never found it to be true for anything as much as it is for Lain).

Yet Texhnolyze in comparison is supposed to have even less dialogue and explanation of anything by characters and be even more frustrating in its narrative approach. In a way it might be good because it doesn't care to pretend to cater to a wider audience and art doesn't have to be for everyone but can be for a select group, but it's a show that seems worth trying if you want zero entertainment value and just want to ponder things you can ponder without watching it, so saved for a very very rainy day.

High rated anime I did not like Kon
Low Rated anime I liked Blazeblue Alter Memory

Jun 19, 11:16 AM

Kimi no Na wa. is something that I recently watched and I just didn't liked it.

Klad said:

I have to stop you right there and tell you it's not even a sequal in the first place.
That 30+ year old boomer that teaches paleontology during a hentai review on MAL. *sips*
Anime was indeed a mistake, since we prefer 2D waifu's over 3D wamen.

Jun 19, 11:22 AM

Timz0r said:
Kimi no Na wa. is something that I recently watched and I just didn't liked it.

Klad said:

I have to stop you right there and tell you it's not even a sequal in the first place.
Whatever that was, shouldn't have happened.

Jun 19, 11:27 AM

Kayn said:
KindUnicorn said:

I came to this thread to say this. I'm usually all for this kind of ridiculous humor, but One Punch Man was way too repetitive for my taste. I couldn't finish it.

Same.

The most recent show that dissapointed me was KonoSuba, another comedy.

And panned/unpopular shows i like... I've already seen Blood-C so many times in other threads, that i think i need to change the answer. Shoud I answer instead Concrete Revolutio, Yuri Kuma Arashi or Koutetsujou no Kabaneri? Probably Concrete Revolutio, with great visuals, pastiches from old school anime from Tezuka's classic works that reimagines them, social commentary about post-war Japan and interesting characters.

Jun 19, 11:34 AM

A Place Further Than The Universe

I was expecting a great adventure story with a litle bit comedy.A meaningful story. But it was just a drama anime that focused on personal problems of characters and someone even said the trip wasn't what's important but their friendship or the time they passed together or something like that. So it was just a self-help story. I wasn't interested in their problems at all.

Jun 19, 11:41 AM

Well I'm pretty open about about how I didn't find Gintama that funny and how I refuse to continue One Piece because it's too long even for me.

On the opposite end I'll out myself as being one of the few people who didn't think Dragon Ball GT was complete shit.

Jun 19, 11:44 AM

Setsuei said:
Well I'm pretty open about about how I didn't find Gintama that funny and how I refuse to continue One Piece because it's too long even for me.
Run for your life, before the Gintama fanboys found this post.

Jun 19, 11:47 AM

I seldom drop anime, but watching Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san proved to be such a painful, unpleasant experience that less than halfway through I couldn't go on. It has a pretty high rating.
The Best Anime YouTuber Tournament has now concluded. Check out this thread to view and discuss the results.

Jun 19, 11:49 AM

I disliked bunny girl senpai mostly because of how bad its protagonist is and how it uses pseudo science.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Jun 19, 11:50 AM

BlancaXLobo said:
Setsuei said:
Run for your life, before the Gintama fanboys found this post.

You'd think so, but I've said this several times before and haven't gotten attacked by a Gintama fan yet.

Jun 19, 11:51 AM

I despise Death Note and Attack on Titan. I'm enjoying Kenja no Mago for some strange reason.

Jun 19, 11:51 AM
high rating but i dont like them:

-anohana 2/10
-mob psyco 100 5/10
-FMAB its only 8/10 for me but NEVER it should have 9,24 wtf
-mononoke hime 5/10
-monogatari series 4-6/10

low rating but i like them:
-high school dxd 10/10
sao season 1 and 2 10/10
clannad season 1 is better than S2 imo 10/10

for more check out my list?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 19, 11:56 AM

@Setsuei maybe that's the reason people don't complain about Gintama like they did with Naruto.

Jun 19, 12:00 PM

DAKAICHI - score: 7.51, halfway through the first episode i realized that this was automatically gonna be another BL story with a tablespoon of rape, two cups of fanservice for fujoshis mixed with 100g of shit drama

Oshiete! Galko-chan - score: 7.18, (i know this isnt that much of low score for some people, but i personally think 7.20 and lower for an anime is a low score) i would say why i loved this show but im just gonna steal Amazing_Grace's small review on it, becuz they explan it better then i would lol
The girls on this show talk about their bodies. They talk about it lewdly, naming specific parts, but also honestly and realistically, in a way I would expect from highschoolers. They don't have big sit-down speeches with older family members about periods; they talk about breast size and water physics. They don't make fun of the size of those breasts, either-- the girls only mention it in good fun, and the boys point out their differing body types without putting them down about it; the worst they say about any of them is that they simply aren't their type.

These girls also break their archetypes. The "party girl" can be an utter otaku, the nerd can have fun teasing her friends, and the perceived airhead can have lots of hobbies. And, all of these girls can be friends without a clear explanation-- they're just in close proximity and get along, and that's how so many friendships start.
i really be out here trying to get a yandere harem so we have a battle royale. still love me yanderes tho ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜”

Jun 19, 12:01 PM

This is somewhat on-topic but on this website anything related to Dragon Ball, Naruto and FMA is actually rated very highly. I met some that unironically defended the last one as actually being good but almost every man I ever met agrees that Dragon Ball is trash.

Where are all those people that actually enjoy and watch Dragon Ball and Naruto? I can still sort of see the appeal of FMA and it's not nearly the trash that Dragon Ball is but just unremarkable but Dragon Ball really has the thinnest of plots and the cheapest of animations so where are all the fans that actually rate it highly?

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell

Jun 19, 12:01 PM
definitely Kimi no Na Wa, it was like #1 on MAL and tbh I was bored most of the time watching this

Jun 19, 12:06 PM

Death Note. It was the first anime I ever watched and I couldn't even finish it. It put me off anime for half a year until I ended up trying something else. It was alright at the beginning but for me it just got worse over time.

Klad said:

This.

AesthethiccWaifu said:
DAKAICHI - score: 7.51, halfway through the first episode i realized that this was automatically gonna be another BL story with a tablespoon of rape, two cups of fanservice for fujoshis mixed with 100g of shit drama

Also this.

๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ช๐“ถ๐“พ ๐”‚๐“พ๐“ถ๐“ฎ๐“ถ๐“ฒ
โ™ก haa, i'm super ill! on the outside, i might look crazy healthy, but the truth is i'm a late teenager with a heart of glass! filled with the desire to give up on school! that's me, riamu-chan!! if i become an idol, it'd be my chance to do that!? right!? โ™ก

Jun 19, 12:06 PM
็พŽไนƒๆป‹

mirai nikki
- absolutely horrible plot with badly written characters
tokyo ghoul
- interesting concept but the plot isn't coheret and there are too many meaningless scenes that slow down the story from progressing
kuroko no basket
- a copy of slam dunk basically and it leaves little to no room for characters to interact and develop;the moves are unrealistic too and they are out of the boundary

Jun 19, 12:34 PM

@BlancaXLobo As long as the fans know my problem isn't with them, everythings fine.

Jun 19, 12:38 PM

KindUnicorn said:
Thankfully people are now at 2 season realizing that it was overrated all along.

That definitely isn't a why people hate season 2, lol.

Jun 19, 12:51 PM

Dislike clannad and Gurren Lagann. With Clannad I may still finish one day but I don't think I'll ever watch Gurren Lagann, I hate the characters in that show.

Jun 19, 12:52 PM

Jikan no shihaisha is rated 6.41 and Dies Irae is rated 5.49
I gave both of them a solid 10 . I just liked everything about them .

Jun 19, 12:54 PM

KindUnicorn said:

As for underrated Legend of Galactic Heroes 2018 remake
I feel like a lot people don't Like cause it is a remake, and while I haven't seen original I thought that remake was very fun watch. Also the fact that it has a similar art style like Kuroko no Basket made it that much more enjoyable.

Also Reinhard is such a husbando material ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

People dislike the animation and other stuff that came with the studio change, you won't find many who think the story is overrated tho, the manga is still great and honestly S2 isn't even that bad.

Jun 19, 1:00 PM

Mmh... I liked the supposedly bad Ghibli TV-movie and I loved (and adore) GAINAX infamous big budget movie, Honneamise (and still don't get why people told me to avoid it when I was seeking the VHS as a child ).

Jun 19, 1:19 PM

"What anime that was highly rated or recommended did you just dislike?":

*One Punch Man S1 was absolutely a terrible show. Good animation, boring as fuck and stupid MC. One of the most overrated anime I've seen. Same with Violet Evergarden and Erased.

"What anime that was rated poorly did you end of loving?"

*Not loving but Mahou Shoujo Site, Akanesasu Shoujo and Satsuriku no Tenshi are far better than most of shows with an overall score of >8 on MAL.
Life has no meaning.

Jun 19, 1:23 PM
I don’t really like this seasons Kimetsu no Yaiba, but that’s because of the story is a bit lackluster and I find myself annoyed with the characters always explaining everything they do as they are doing it like we don’t see it happening in front of our eyes but the animation and music in that show is amazing so that’s why I’d give it a 7/10

Jashin Chan’s Dropkick is currently at a 6.9 if I remember but honestly that anime is hilarious and is currently getting a season two so I know that people like it but the reason why people said they disliked it is stupid in my opinion, the number one reason people hated the show is because they said it was similar to Gabriel Dropout and if you’ve seen the show you would know that the only similarity between those two series is that they both involve angels and devils it’s like comparing Monster Musume to Interviews with monster girls both involving monsters girls but both approaching them in different ways I’d give Jashin Chan’s Dropkick a 10/10 because the humor in that show is so good and does a great mixture of regular comedy like with jokes to physical comedy where our main character Jashin Chan is always getting her ass handed to her on a silver platter

Jun 19, 1:26 PM

im gonna fucking say it
fullmetal alchemist brotherhood.
i don't know why this is #1 I mean it's good, but it's not amazing like everyone in the world says it is however it's openings are all amazing.

under-appreciated shows I liked were clannad season 1 really just enjoyed each character and the most I'll ever like a harem-esk love pentagon shit. also tsuki ga kirei is the most realistic demonstration of romance I've ever seen.
Modified by fZeonn, Jun 19, 1:39 PM

Jun 19, 1:33 PM
VMC President

Anohana is suppose to hit at the feels but I really couldn't like the characters for that to happen
NGNL seriously can't get the appeal of that show

An unpopular show I liked would be girlish number, it's a really cynical look at the industry and I love it and tamako market, it's a really great SoL and it's better than the movie
Modified by JoyBoy_316, Jun 19, 1:42 PM

Jun 19, 1:38 PM

Haibane Renmei is probably the most pretentious Anime I've had the displeasure of watching. Garbage, expected so much more given I liked Abe's other shows.

Anime I thought I would hate but ended up liking would be School Days, Itou is a freaking boss. One of the best male leads I have ever seen.
No more posts.

Jun 19, 1:44 PM

Katekyo Hitman Reborn was extremely hard to watch. It was recommended to me by friends but by the time it actually got to something interesting, I just didn't care anymore. The characters were too shallow.

Koe no Katachi has an adaptation now but I refuse to watch it. I hated it back when it was only a oneshot. Don't really care if they did or didn't fix the issues.

As for rated poorly but loved - Uta Kata. Putting the unnecessary ecchi aside, there were beautiful themes and a really great message behind it. People hail Madoka as the epitome of "dark" magical girl but refuse to acknowledge the good in titles that came before it. Uta Kata is an example of that.

Jun 19, 1:52 PM

I hated Clannad and AS. Was literally sooooo boring.

I also really disliked FLCL. The whole time I was questioning why I was watching it, but just stuck with it because it's so short. It's just too wacky to be enjoyable.

Jun 19, 2:01 PM

I feel like the higher rated a show is, the more likely I am to abhor it lol.

• Clannad, AnoHana, and Shigatsu are like the (un)holy trinity of trash drama writing
  • Akira is a jumbled mess of a story with horrible characters
  • Boku no Hero Academia has an OK plot, but every single character is absolutely unbearable
  • Kimi no Na wa, KimiSui, and Hotarubi no Mori e are all trash. None of them are sad or have relatable characters
  • Why is Shelter at an 8.41 lol. Cute girl + sad situation = good haha! The song is garbage; so is the MV.
  • The 48 episodes of Gintama I watched were almost as unfunny as the One-Punch Man manga
  • EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget, Rascal Doesn't Dream of Combining Monogatari and SNAFU and Turning Them Into Shit

As for poorly rated, which I define as anything below a 7, the only thing I can think of is this season's YU-NO. I never thought I'd enjoy an edgy version of Steins;Gate that's filled with sex jokes, but apparently, I do.

Jun 19, 2:02 PM
Fate UBW, this could be because it was my first introduction to the fate series but despite it's art and animation I found it incredibly boring and the whole story seemed lackluster and overrated.

Jun 19, 2:20 PM
Torch me if you want but...

I didn't like Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, it just seemed...boring to me.

I don't regret watching it because i know i would have eventually, but...ugh.

Jun 19, 2:23 PM
mwalimu said:
I seldom drop anime, but watching Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san proved to be such a painful, unpleasant experience that less than halfway through I couldn't go on. It has a pretty high rating.
Same for me.It's just bland and boring.I watched it completely expecting it to get good but nothing happened.Nothing happens in the show just the same shit.Even the teases weren't fun or creative.Just your everyday mundane dares.Goddamit it's getting a sequel this summer.

Jun 19, 2:24 PM
I didn't like Serial Experiment Lain, FLCL, No Game No Life and Classroom of the Elite.

Jun 19, 2:25 PM
A Silent Voice, I didn't feel anything watching it.
AnoHana, I was INCREDIBLY bored watching it although it did make me sad.
My Neighbor Totoro and Ghibli films, in general, are boring too imo, although it seems like everyone is in love with ghibli

Jun 19, 2:30 PM

Highly rated but I disliked is monogatari franchise, nisioisin is a hack. Cliches and tropes are horrible. Mary sue protag and boring premise.

Low rated but I liked sora no woto so underrated, the characters are likeable the story is easy to understand and its fun to watch liked by the way the OP.

Jun 19, 2:41 PM
I really liked ousama game due to the hilarious death's and all the shit the writer tried to cram in (4 romances, multiple plot twists and drama so melodramatic I had to pause to catch my breath from laugh-cringe)

One high rated anime I disliked is uchouten kazoku because it felt too disingenuous in its emotional sequences and I ended up feeling not much for the characters at all maybe due to them focusing on realism, fantasy and philosophy all at the same time.

Jun 19, 3:08 PM

I feel like I've answered this question too many times already due to having spent too much time on MAL AD already, but according to this, among shows I've finished, some of my biggest positive differences include Beatless, Atelier Escha & Logy, Luger Code, Stratos 4, Four Rhythm, and Umi Monogatari, while some of my biggest negative differences include End of Evangelion, Madoka Magica, Guilty Crown, AKB0048 Next Stage, and Gunbuster.

Jun 19, 3:19 PM

I remember disliking Gurren Laggan. I prefer Gunbuster 2 much more when it comes to 2000s Gainax shows. I had rated it 5/10 back then, later raised the score mainly because of the first half and the ending.

Also I did not like Stellvia of the Universe and Infinite Ryvous either. 5/10 for both

Count of Monte Christo anime adaptation never attracted me either despite the recommendations and appraisals. 6/10

Casshern Sins. Why pick Casshern characters for something like this? Had they made their own unique characters, I'd have liked the series much more. Not much to do with 70s Casshern. 6/10

Higashi no Eden: Most overrated series I watched. If it werent for character design by Chica Umino, I'd rate it even lower. 5/10

Michiko to Hatchin: ok series but nothing outstanding. A missed opportunity based on the setting. They could have been inspired by Brazilian movies but instead they turned this into another anime fare. 6/10

Welcome to the NHK: did not deliver as I had hoped. Very bland execution. 6/10

Nana: I'll better read the unfinished manga. Anime was a disaster with far too many convoluted episodes. 5/10

Blood+: take everything that made the original movie and the manga unique and add shonen tropes. 5/10

Black Cat: not the best adaptation of a very good shonen manga. 6/10

there are countless others, no need to mention them and anger more readers

As for lower ranked series I liked:

Divergence Eve:
Have seen 8 episodes so far. Dont let the boobs fool you. Series scifi plot is very good.

Reign the Conqueror
Despite the character design by Peter Chung of Aeon Flux, this is a solid philosophical series , combining fantasy, fiction and history in a unique way. 7/10

Narutaru
It would be difficult to do a proper adaptation of the manga , but thanks to the script writer C.Konaka the series turned out surprisingly good. Despite having a lower budget and fewer episodes than Bokurano it turned out much better. Was not as popular as other violent anime but I liked the execution and psychological drama much more. 6/10

Scifi Harry
Memorable mystery thriller with espers set in America. 6/10

Yoiko
Despite the premise, this series has nothing objectionable and is light comedy. Dont know about the manga though. 6/10

Jun 19, 3:23 PM
Bad criticism but my loved ones as an example: School Days

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »