Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 17, 2019 7:12 PM

Jul 2014
Everything so far even Mikasa being stronger than average can be acceptable, but Levi (as cool as he is) is just straight up overpowered.

Now, we know that he could deal with every titan so far other than the Armored titan (pre thunder spears) in a 1 versus 1 scenario (maybe he can with thunder spears, who knows).

The Colossal titan appeared 3 times, for Shinganshina, for Trost, and then during the Reiner - Bertholdt reveal. And he was in none of those locations, sure, Reiner could have escaped Levi due to his neck protection, but the colossal titan would've definitely fallen against Levi, he could've taken his neck before Bertholdt even noticed that he was there, he destroyed Annie and the beast titan (only reason why he didn't take out Annie was because Mikasa intervened).

So when will Levi actually be useful for the plot? he's so far just been a plot-device side character who is overpowered but cannot cause any change to the story whatsoever, Annie came back to fight with Eren and it was Eren who took her down, I suspect that Levi won't end up killing the beast titan either, maybe he fights him again but he won't get the killing blow.

I feel like it takes away a lot of his epicness knowing that he's not really relevant, even Armin got to take down Bertholdt for good (and maybe Mikasa -> Reiner, depending on if Zeke's promise on replacing him comes true).

Will Levi's only real kill come when its his time to die? After all, he's not that much useful now that we know that there are literal war planes, possibly tanks, and rifles in Marley. He had trouble with guns, there's no way he can beat an actual army.
Jun 17, 2019 7:31 PM

Mar 2018
So when will Levi actually be useful for the plot? he's so far just been a plot-device side character who is overpowered but cannot cause any change to the story whatsoever
It's not like he made the choice between Armin and Erwin!

If this isn't bait idk what to say because there are enough counterexamples
poop
Jun 17, 2019 7:49 PM

May 2015
Are you sure useful to the plot and being a convenient plot-device aren't really the same thing?

Darklycan51 said:
he's so far just been a plot-device side character who is overpowered but cannot cause any change to the story whatsoever

That just makes him, I don't know, human? And he is a side character. As popular as he is, Eren, Mikasa and Armin were made to shoulder the focus of the main events.

This is an anime discussion, so I won't say much, but there's actually a reason for him and Mikasa being overpowered, it was already hinted in anime when Levi asked her if she had a moment when she suddenly felt very powerful.

Darklycan51 said:

Will Levi's only real kill come when its his time to die? After all, he's not that much useful now that we know that there are literal war planes, possibly tanks, and rifles in Marley. He had trouble with guns, there's no way he can beat an actual army.

Does he have to?
And what do you mean by real kill? As if he hadn't done enough for humanity already.
I understand you want a great spectacle but this whole thing actually makes me very sad.
Jun 17, 2019 7:57 PM

Jan 2009
lol using buzzwords like plot device can really degrade the quality of a characters role now isnt it

i do not mind if the only role of Levi is that of a super soldier really i like that cool factor about him
Jun 17, 2019 8:05 PM

Mar 2018
JeXxTaR said:
Esquirtit said:
It's not like he made the choice between Armin and Erwin!

If this isn't bait idk what to say because there are enough counterexamples

well, hange could have that role
She could've gotten that role but she didn't, wdym?

Either way OP is on some other shit, Levi is a plot device but somehow can't cause a change in the story? What does that even mean? He's obviously trolling
poop
Jun 17, 2019 8:20 PM
May 2016
Reminder that this guy's a class-A brainlet, don't bother responding to his threads, he unironically made one saying that AoT is badly written because it's not written by a woman like FMA was, lmfao.
Jun 17, 2019 8:39 PM

Jan 2018
Darklycan51 said:

Now, we know that he could deal with every titan so far other than the Armored titan (pre thunder spears) in a 1 versus 1 scenario (maybe he can with thunder spears, who knows).

The only Titan he's shows to be able to beat was the beast Titan. He wouldn't be able to kill the colossal Titan or armored titan(arguably with thunder spears) and he couldn't kill the female titan either.

Darklycan51 said:

The Colossal titan appeared 3 times, for Shinganshina, for Trost, and then during the Reiner - Bertholdt reveal. And he was in none of those locations, sure, Reiner could have escaped Levi due to his neck protection, but the colossal titan would've definitely fallen against Levi, he could've taken his neck before Bertholdt even noticed that he was there, he destroyed Annie and the beast titan (only reason why he didn't take out Annie was because Mikasa intervened).

Levi didn't kill Annie because they couldn't due to her hardening ability. I also don't think he could have killed the Colossal Titan cuz i'm assuming he would have felt Levi attaching to him and just used his steam.

I would disagree that Levi had no impact on the story though considering it was his decision as to who got the colossal titan.
Jun 17, 2019 9:10 PM

Mar 2018
JeXxTaR said:
Esquirtit said:
She could've gotten that role but she didn't, wdym?

Either way OP is on some other shit, Levi is a plot device but somehow can't cause a change in the story? What does that even mean? He's obviously trolling

I say this because I really think SnK would be better if it didn't have so many characters.
I don't agree that there are too many, why do you think that? The scale is pretty big so it does need a lot of characters to make sense of the story. Is your complaint that with there being so many some of them didn't receive enough development so far? I would agree but this where the real drama starts anyway, everyone will inevitably change by this crazy reveal of the truth.

I don't see how what you said connects to this anyway, Hange and Levi served different roles inside of the Survey Corps. Having the super soldier doing the documentary and research wouldn't be a logical dynamic
poop
Jun 18, 2019 9:57 AM
Jun 2017
come on man you have to think out of the box,Levi would be dead if not for Erwin and the recruits sacrificing themselves,this is not DBZ style of fighting,long range the beast titan would obliterate Levi,and close range Levi got the upper hand,plus he can't kill the colossal titan either due to his steam.
Jun 18, 2019 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
next time op will be saying Levi is just a fanservice xD
Jun 18, 2019 10:40 AM

Jan 2009
laviha said:

sexual fanservice for the female fans but action fanservice for the male fans
i can definitely see it
Jun 18, 2019 11:13 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
laviha said:

i can definitely see it

But he wasn't even meant to be attractive in the first place tho so assuming he's a sexual fanservice is wrong isn't it? He does look attractive in the anime but in manga he's quite ugly
Jun 18, 2019 11:19 AM

Jan 2009
laviha said:
deg said:

i can definitely see it

But he wasn't even meant to be attractive in the first place tho so assuming he's a sexual fanservice is wrong isn't it? He does look attractive in the anime but in manga he's quite ugly

im only imagining the fangirls reaction to Levi so ye i do not know really since im a male or (slight) bisexual but im more attracted to feminine looking guys
Jun 18, 2019 12:16 PM
Apr 2019
lul thread. Levi is a side character also a first-ranked officer.He carries his duty.
His strength gives hope to humanity. He is an example of humanity's strenghth.He cares for his mates and friends. You are saying he is just a fan service. Think about it, if there was no Levi what would have happened to the story.
Jun 18, 2019 2:37 PM

Jan 2018
Well yes, but actually no.
Jun 18, 2019 5:50 PM
Aug 2018
Darklycan51 said:
Everything so far even Mikasa being stronger than average can be acceptable, but Levi (as cool as he is) is just straight up overpowered.

So when will Levi actually be useful for the plot? he's so far just been a plot-device side character who is overpowered but cannot cause any change to the story whatsoever, Annie came back to fight with Eren and it was Eren who took her down, I suspect that Levi won't end up killing the beast titan either, maybe he fights him again but he won't get the killing blow.

I feel like it takes away a lot of his epicness knowing that he's not really relevant, even Armin got to take down Bertholdt for good (and maybe Mikasa -> Reiner, depending on if Zeke's promise on replacing him comes true).

You misunderstood his character completely, have you noticed how him despite being th most OP charcater in the show cant save the people that matter to him (Erwin, Levi squad, his friends). This is part of his charcater, and it what makes him an OP charcater done right.
Jun 18, 2019 5:53 PM

Apr 2019
Everything is a Plot Device.
There is no such thing as a non convenient plot device.
If there is plot every character and every event is a convenient plot device because they all lead to certain events.
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 18, 2019 6:39 PM
Dec 2014
Darklycan51 said:
Will Levi's only real kill come when its his time to die?

Laughs in manga reader.
Jun 19, 2019 1:08 AM

Jun 2017
Levi is overpowered for good reason. It will be revealed later. It is not a plot device. Also, I don't see what is wrong in a plot device. Most of the anime have them. Even anime like hunter x hunter that are critically acclaimed have those. (edit : This example is actually a bad use of a plot device.)

edit 2 : a good use of plot device from the same anime -
Chrome_FalconJun 19, 2019 1:19 AM
Jun 19, 2019 1:13 AM

Dec 2017
Here's an analysis that does a great job of explaining Levi's character.

Jun 19, 2019 1:23 AM

Jul 2012
sunsetbridge said:
Here's an analysis that does a great job of explaining Levi's character.

That's a nice analysis, thanks for sharing.
Jun 19, 2019 3:37 AM

Jan 2018
NakolHira said:
Think about it, if there was no Levi what would have happened to the story.

You can say that with most of the characters,you're giving him too much importance,
BARK BARK BARK ARRRGGFFF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK HSSSSSSSSS SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRR RUFF RUFF WOOF WOOF WOOF SNARL BITE BITE BARK CHOMP SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRRRRRRR RUFF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK ARGGGHHFFFF BITE BITE BITE WOOF HSSSSSSS GRRRROWWWL HOWLLL WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK ARGGGGRRRFFF BITE WOOF WOOFBARK BARK HSSSS CHOMP GRRRRR
Jun 19, 2019 4:10 AM

Jan 2018
SethBigBoss said:
NakolHira said:
Think about it, if there was no Levi what would have happened to the story.

You can say that with most of the characters,you're giving him too much importance,
If everyone was weak, there wouldn't be much of a story, would there? In life there are always people who are really good at what they do. Levi just happens to be that, in the attack on titan world. There is so much more, but that goes into manga territory so I'll leave it at that.
Jun 19, 2019 5:05 AM

Jan 2018
Thorf said:
SethBigBoss said:

If everyone was weak, there wouldn't be much of a story, would there? In life there are always people who are really good at what they do. Levi just happens to be that, in the attack on titan world. There is so much more, but that goes into manga territory so I'll leave it at that.

It's not like everyone except Levi is weak...We know that when there is a fight Levi is sure to win there's is no tension around him. Don't bring real life here, Levi's equivalent in real life doesn't exist, even if someone is good at something mistakes can be made that's what being human is.
And to begin with I was talking about the importance of the characters for the story "if X was not here then ..." not who's strong or weak.
BARK BARK BARK ARRRGGFFF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK HSSSSSSSSS SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRR RUFF RUFF WOOF WOOF WOOF SNARL BITE BITE BARK CHOMP SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRRRRRRR RUFF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK ARGGGHHFFFF BITE BITE BITE WOOF HSSSSSSS GRRRROWWWL HOWLLL WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK ARGGGGRRRFFF BITE WOOF WOOFBARK BARK HSSSS CHOMP GRRRRR
Jun 19, 2019 5:25 AM

Jan 2018
SethBigBoss said:
Thorf said:

It's not like everyone except Levi is weak...We know that when there is a fight Levi is sure to win there's is no tension around him. Don't bring real life here, Levi's equivalent in real life doesn't exist, even if someone is good at something mistakes can be made that's what being human is.
And to begin with I was talking about the importance of the characters for the story "if X was not here then ..." not who's strong or weak.
I say weak, but they're not exactly weak. Just compared to Levi they are. I'm not saying Levi's equivalent in real life exists at all, I'm just saying in real life there are some that are exceptional at what they do. This is basically Levi, exceptional at... killing. He has many flaws, which is what makes him a great character imo.
Jun 19, 2019 6:43 PM

Dec 2015
If you are still power ranking the characters, you are not watching this show properly. Simple as that.

and no, he is not a convenient plot device. Levi may be the strongest character, but he was never the hero who saved the day. He is strong so someone can fight the battle that no one else could, and make the decision that no one else would. Every show needs someone like Levi, and Shingeki no Kyojin is no exception.
Jun 19, 2019 9:13 PM

Nov 2011
This time you got a point I think (well, your previous controversial thread actually had good points too if only you were not being sexist there) ...
I still remember in the first season how pissed I was when Levi could not killed Annie..
To be honest, all scout squad except for Eren's class are treated really bad in this series.. Pretty much like what also happened in Captain Tsubasa and Naruto ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 20, 2019 3:42 AM
May 2016
Jim_Heart said:
This time you got a point I think (well, your previous controversial thread actually had good points too if only you were not being sexist there) ...
I still remember in the first season how pissed I was when Levi could not killed Annie..
To be honest, all scout squad except for Eren's class are treated really bad in this series.. Pretty much like what also happened in Captain Tsubasa and Naruto ...

Not really considering they all actually grow up significantly, both in the anime currently and later in the manga. The surviving scouts have done more than enough to prove their worth, especially this season.

Also this entire argument is BS because there was NEVER a point where Levi just upped and solved a situation through his Ackerman hax. There's always been a great sacrifice to warrant it, like during the fight with Annie he lost all his squad, and in this season in order to take down the beast titan Erwin had to sacrifice both his life and the lives of all his recruits in order for Levi to just get a shot at massacring him, and even then both Annie and the Beast Titan managed to escape. So no he's nowhere near as much of a plot device as the brain-dead OP makes him out to be.
Jun 20, 2019 12:56 PM

Mar 2016
Levi is pretty much the power seal in Attack on Titan. Hardly anyone comes close to him, titan or human.
It's a shame that the Uprising was rewriten otherwise we would've seen a different Levi. A very humanized one.

Levi vs Beast Titan (manga spoilers)

azertz99Jun 20, 2019 1:39 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2019

548 by ARTisANexplosion »»
38 minutes ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

802 by jebras »»
Apr 23, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.