Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What is happening with the score (this is just technical question, not a question like "why is the score so high?")

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Jun 22, 8:30 PM

keragamming said:
But what I am saying is that, if I was apart of the coding team, we would have done it without announcing it to the public, that way persons continue to waste their time giving 1/10 votes when in reality it would not affect the series.

I think that is what Imdb does as well to counter the hate votes without making persons being aware of it. That is why snk part 2 episode 5 is still number 1 with 10/10 score, even though it has 5.9% of 1/10 votes. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9906260/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

I don't think their is anyway to make the rating system fair, but that was a solution when it comes to trolling.

There is no good solution for it. As I wrote before, by that we will turn into ghosting 1/10 and 10/10 scores. First because of possibility of many trolls giving the lowest score for their pure fun; second one because of possibility of many people who are hyped enough to give 10/10 recklessly, just because they feel hyped about certain show.

It will lead to turning 2/10 and 9/10 scores into counterparts of "ghosted" 1/10 and 10/10 scores (if it won't be a secret that certain scores are ghosted from general score and certain scores are taken into consideration in the final evaluation).

Another alternative is disabling scores' system completely. It would be a disaster, because in many cases scores can help a viewer to decide whether this or that anime is good/bad. But on the other hand that kind of radical solution could solve the problem with trolls and ultimate hypers.

For me the best thing to do is not doing anything, to be honest. Current system is good as it is. There will always be toxic people who are gonna manipulate general score in one way or another. The most economic solution is to stay with the current system, because it's the most balanced and efficient and it just works, despite them trolls or hypers who are minority. Let's believe in facts that strong majority of people fairly judges shows based on their own rational criterias, not because they want to act shabby or overreact.

Jun 23, 12:41 AM
Well, I think there could be one thing which should be done, and the current system could be OK.

We need an algorithm, which weights every single user's scores, depending on their Anime List and previous scores.

For example, if someone watched 500 series, but he/she gave 10/10 the 90% percent of those shows, then I think his/her score should be less relevant (less weighted), because he can't distinguish between qualitues (I think it is obvious that only a few show deserves 10/10)

In ideal case, if a user watched enough anime, the user's distribution of scores should be similar to the Gauss-distribution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution
Which means the user give 1/10 and 10/10 for the less times, 5/10 for the most times.

Jun 23, 3:19 AM
Probably the works of enemy Stands

Jun 24, 9:35 PM

It's 2019 now and the score is 9.19 right now
Nice lmao
「"I want something genuine."」

Jun 30, 2:30 PM
It happens again!! It was 72k people voting then suddenly dropped to 61k!!!
The score suddenly increased from 9.19 to 9.23 as well...

Jun 30, 2:34 PM

N0-0NE said:

This happened because of one of the rules of MAL

Once an anime finishes airing, only the ratings where the number of watched episodes is at least 1/5 of the overall number of episodes count

Jun 30, 3:33 PM
SheevPalpatine said:
Nim0174 said:
i didn't even notice that there was a sudden increase/decrease in votes
interesting

basically something has to have changed in that time frame for that to happen
maybe they are modifying the score system? probably not
very curious

Unfortunately I don't have screenshots, but I'm sure that I saw what I've said...

Or maybe it didn't happen, I just went crazy xD

it happened again like 2 weeks ago, and i have got ss (but im about to sleep lol, i just want to say you are right and it always happens

Jun 30, 3:35 PM
-Aincrad- said:
N0-0NE said:

Once an anime finishes airing, only the ratings where the number of watched episodes is at least 1/5 of the overall number of episodes count

lol basicly system eliminated the haters

Jun 30, 4:22 PM

Score is close to topping brotherhood...

Jun 30, 4:28 PM
SerhaTR0483-2 said:
-Aincrad- said:

Nope, the 1/10 votes remain the same

Jun 30, 4:46 PM

Brandon2149 said:

i really wish to live to the day FMA is not n.1
i dont care what would surpass it.
anything!

i hope it would be AOT
it just 0.03 missing.

but we will see the next few days what the real score is.

Jun 30, 11:36 PM
WarFirel said:
SerhaTR0483-2 said:

Haters eliminated because they didn't watch the series, they are just giving the vote.

Jun 30, 11:44 PM
SerhaTR0483-2 said:
WarFirel said:

Haters eliminated because they didn't watch the series, they are just giving the vote.

Nope, those were eliminated who didn't update frequently their list, and the progress of their watched anime.

Jul 1, 12:05 AM

LETS MAKE THIS NUMBER ONE!!!

Jul 1, 12:08 AM
Cloude said:
LETS MAKE THIS NUMBER ONE!!!

Remember that this topic is not about score-wars. This is about technical issues/features of MAL's ranking system.

So please, stay away from this comments. Thank you!

Jul 1, 3:59 AM

_TheBoy said:
Brandon2149 said:

i really wish to live to the day FMA is not n.1
i dont care what would surpass it.
anything!

i hope it would be AOT
it just 0.03 missing.

but we will see the next few days what the real score is.

Your name was number one for awhile, but it dropped eventually. Usually what happens and brother hood is just stable at currently number.

Jul 1, 4:16 AM
Must have been a glitch

Jul 1, 4:26 AM
While I really love the show I don't like the fact that it is about to surpass FMAB. That anime was something more, better in every aspect.

Jul 1, 4:38 AM
draco11 said:
While I really love the show I don't like the fact that it is about to surpass FMAB. That anime was something more, better in every aspect.

I dont think its fair to compare an anime that ran throughout its entire run to a show thats normally supposed to be binge watched, but people were unable to due to production issues and wait times along with seasonal sequels.

Jul 1, 5:02 AM
Weebover9000 said:
draco11 said:

I dont think its fair to compare an anime that ran throughout its entire run to a show thats normally supposed to be binge watched, but people were unable to due to production issues and wait times along with seasonal sequels.

That is irrelevant. Quality wise FMAB has upper hand over AOT and many top rated anime. AOT is good, can have that 2nd position but not the 1st position. That is something that only FMAB deserves, imo.

Jul 1, 5:05 AM
draco11 said:
Weebover9000 said:

That is irrelevant. Quality wise FMAB has upper hand over AOT and many top rated anime. AOT is good, can have that 2nd position but not the 1st position. That is something that only FMAB deserves, imo.

I gave FMAB an 8/10, because its not the perfect anime out there. There are plenty of gripes I had with the anime because it was treated like the second coming of jesus to me going in, for the first 24 episodes or so the show treated me like I had amnesia concerning the MCs goals. People who like FMAB and give it a perfect 10/10 rating, complain about AOT relying on flashbacks to tell its story, when FMAB does that for a good majority of its plot points. Im sorry but I feel like the fmab fanbase is viewing the anime through rose tinted glasses.

Jul 1, 5:30 AM
draco11 said:
Weebover9000 said:

And here's a FMAB Fanboy in his natural habitat..

Jul 1, 5:39 AM
Nik03178 said:
draco11 said:

Look, this is his opinion. He would also call you an AoT fanboy, but he didn't.

But here I would like to make all of you remember thst this topic is not about score wars, or which show is better. This topic is about the technical side of MAL's ranking system, so please, stop the offtopic here and now.

Jul 1, 5:48 AM
Nik03178 said:
draco11 said:

Man I love both. Both were my gateway to anime. It's just FMAB has special place in my mind over others. And seeing it might lose its top position pains me a bit.

Jul 1, 5:48 AM
SheevPalpatine said:
Nik03178 said:

Look, this is his opinion. He would also call you an AoT fanboy, but he didn't.

But here I would like to make all of you remember thst this topic is not about score wars, or which show is better. This topic is about the technical side of MAL's ranking system, so please, stop the offtopic here and now.

Instead of telling people to stick to the topic, report your own thread to the mods, Ive reported a lot of pointless score threads to them when this anime was airing, and I am quite frankly tired of doing it.

Jul 1, 3:16 PM

draco11 said:
Nik03178 said:

Man I love both. Both were my gateway to anime. It's just FMAB has special place in my mind over others. And seeing it might lose its top position pains me a bit.

its sadden me that something can hold n.1 spot for so long.
we need change.
we need new shiet at n.1

and we need more stuff that would get that n.1 spot more frequently

Jul 1, 3:18 PM
so is the score stuck? i thought MAL updates it twice a day?

Jul 1, 3:54 PM

deg said:
so is the score stuck? i thought MAL updates it twice a day?

*Puts on tinfoil hat* I believe they are trying to stop us from getting the #1 spot.

Jul 2, 11:23 AM

draco11 said:
Nik03178 said:

I'm not a hater of FAB, but it felt more childish for me. Yeah, i'm saying for me. The story was not that complicated (it's shounen but snk is also shounen but it feels like something entirely different after a time) but it followed consistently which i appreaciate. But Snk, man, SnK's story and every dot that conects to previous situations is one hell of a ride. Skillfully, interestingly, intricately told story with so much at stake. And as i love it more, i really want it to surpass FAB which production values were high as well, it had great moments but the story didn't grab me that much after i finished it. I just stated my opinion and what for me makes SnK the far better show. I'm fine with SnK staying at least at number 2, and i really wish for fair rating, without haters rating it low and people rating it high before they have finished it. That's it.
"If Eren boned Historia then we'll be getting flashbacks right back to Ymir, from both of them."
- imadethisforonething (Reddit)

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

Preview MangaManga Store