Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people say anime analysis's aren't impressive?

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Post New Reply
Poll: Are anime analysis's in general, impressive?

Jun 19, 11:44 PM

1. Video is a terrible medium for describing things. We are locked into the presenter's pacing, and the live aspect of it causes this to be a synchronized performance. There is only one chance to get it right, so besides seasoned professionals with years and years of speech practice, most people really cannot present lengthy, in depth content effectively, whether written or on the fly. That's why most amateur video reviewers interject with a lot of "ah", "um", and "uh", stutters, awkward pauses, and unclear descriptions. And they write down the speech and recite it, they might as well just type it and it would be faster.

What video excels in is showing things. Unfortunately, video editing software is not really at the point where people could seamlessly cut snippets and annotate them. If you ever tried to translate or sub a video on YouTube, it takes hours and hours of tedious work. Really, only the biggest, most well established channels can afford to spend time doing this.

2. Video is linear and text is not. This is unintuitive. In video, when you skip some portion of it, you can't perceive any of the parts you skipped. With text, it is possible to speed read and get less information from the connective passages and still understand the gist of it. The "skipped" text is still being perceived to a lesser extent. This makes the reader in control of the pace, whereas with video, the presenter is in control of his speech, and the platform, if you could speed up playback, the pace is still being controlled linearly. You cannot easily jump back and forth on a video since you do not know where the important points pick up.

3. Big name video reviewers cater to their audiences (i.e. pandering). They say what they need to to improve viewer retention rates and increase subscribers. Often times, this leads to shallow, overly positive analysis, because people online don't like anything critical, and they don't like to think hard. The time put into a video review is a lot longer than a text review of equivalent content. No one can afford to turn away potential viewers after spending the whole day editing clips, doing multiple takes, and investing money into all the equipment necessary to record a high quality video.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Jun 19, 11:48 PM

Manaban said:
HopefulNihilist said:
You're not here to discuss: you're here to provoke me.

Annnnnnnd we've gone full circle again. Back to the "You only exist in threads like this to make me mad!" rhetoric once more.
Don't worry. HopelessVictim has a history of a making baseless ad hominem type accusations against people to distract himself when he doesn't like what's being said. I don't know what the context of this argument is, but it isn't the first time he's done this.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Jun 20, 4:42 AM

Yamatu said:
Cabron said:
It still hasn't come to me...

I mean, you haven't rated any single anime yet. The feeling that anime is generic genre and that you are only consuming for the purpose of fear and habit, it's gonna come
I don't need to, I'm watching it for different reasons.
Don't bother if you don't know how special effects were done without computers.

Jun 20, 8:36 AM

I am currently doing an English major, so literary studies are a particular point of interest for me.
(Not trying to say I have any authority, just that I've thought about this for a bit.)

Any piece of media can (and to an extent should) be analysed. Whether or not you engage with that analysis is a separate thing entirely. Whether or not you agree with the analysis is irrelevant.

Some things certainly are 'deeper' and can be dissected more thoroughly, resulting in better quality analysis. Depth is irrelevant of medium or subject matter. Anime is just as valid as film or literature in this regard.

One thing to note about Youtube analysis is that it's made on a production line for most of the more prolific channels. They need to produce content on a regular basis (because that's how Youtube's algorithms work), and so videos may or may not be made with the full value of the show/film/book explored. I don't think Nietzsche had that kind pressure placed on him.

Additionally, established academia isn't writing on anime because no-one (in terms of academic journals) would publish it. This means that professional people don't spend time writing these analysis, and people can't build off each other's knowledge in a proper peer-review setting. Thus we are left with the (rather impressive) amateur circle we see today.

Anime can and should be analysed as much as any other medium. This does not mean you cannot go in without analysis, or that you have to engage with it at all. Enjoy it as you would enjoy anything else.

And for those of us that subconsciously analyse every frame they see, let the discussion run.
I have no taste.

Jun 20, 8:45 AM

Joe_Bloggs402 said:
I am currently doing an English major, so literary studies are a particular point of interest for me.
(Not trying to say I have any authority, just that I've thought about this for a bit.)

Any piece of media can (and to an extent should) be analysed. Whether or not you engage with that analysis is a separate thing entirely. Whether or not you agree with the analysis is irrelevant.

Some things certainly are 'deeper' and can be dissected more thoroughly, resulting in better quality analysis. Depth is irrelevant of medium or subject matter. Anime is just as valid as film or literature in this regard.

One thing to note about Youtube analysis is that it's made on a production line for most of the more prolific channels. They need to produce content on a regular basis (because that's how Youtube's algorithms work), and so videos may or may not be made with the full value of the show/film/book explored. I don't think Nietzsche had that kind pressure placed on him.

Additionally, established academia isn't writing on anime because no-one (in terms of academic journals) would publish it. This means that professional people don't spend time writing these analysis, and people can't build off each other's knowledge in a proper peer-review setting. Thus we are left with the (rather impressive) amateur circle we see today.

Anime can and should be analysed as much as any other medium. This does not mean you cannot go in without analysis, or that you have to engage with it at all. Enjoy it as you would enjoy anything else.

And for those of us that subconsciously analyse every frame they see, let the discussion run.

I've heard this stance a lot on this thread. Do you know any academically professionals who tackled anime?

@katsucats

>HopelessVictim
Good one

>I don't know the context
>HopefulNihilist makes baseless associations and ad hominems
LOL! Not only are you one of the biggest assholes I've met on MAL, you're also one of the dumbest.

You know it's interesting: why are you and @Manaban literally the only ones whom I come into conflict on MAL? Everyone else whom I've talked to in the past couple of months have been very polite, except for you two. You two are literally the only ones who actively seek conflict with me.

@Manaban you still haven't answered some of my questions:

1) Why do you keep appearing on my threads when you once said that you stopped doing so?
2) why do you deny I made this thread as an idea that sprung from a conversation? Why are you trying to create a narrative where I make threads purely to respond to others? Nobody else thinks that's my intention.

Not only are you incapable of using examples to criticize me, not only do you start insulting me for the stupidest reasons, you are incapable of answering basic questions when you've been cornered. You're not only an asshole, you are a coward.

I know that both of you will start throwing insults at me the next time you reply, instead of reasonably criticizing me, or responding to my criticisms of you two.
Modified by HopefulNihilist, Jun 20, 12:20 PM
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Jun 21, 2:17 AM

Yamatu said:

Not to be that guy, but you've only seen 37 anime. Wait until you watch more. it'll come to you.

Yeah like some unshaven dickhead is gonna convince me how much more deep some slice of life show really is.

And what does me watching only 37 anime have to do with anything. I've shit countless times in my life does that mean I should analyze my shit to see if I can find the answer to life? Let me know where that takes you.
warning this idiot is a professional retard

Jun 21, 3:10 AM

Krayken said:
Yamatu said:

Not to be that guy, but you've only seen 37 anime. Wait until you watch more. it'll come to you.

Yeah like some unshaven dickhead is gonna convince me how much more deep some slice of life show really is.

And what does me watching only 37 anime have to do with anything. I've shit countless times in my life does that mean I should analyze my shit to see if I can find the answer to life? Let me know where that takes you.

The shit analogy is quite appropriate when you are talking out of your ass and it appears to be the case. Of course never let anybody claim your right to do so.

I mean, I was expecting at least one slice of life in your list.
Modified by jal90, Jun 21, 3:44 AM

Jun 21, 3:29 AM
Honestly I couldn't care less about anime analysis. I just wanna have a good time

Jun 21, 3:45 AM

HopefulNihilist said:
Joe_Bloggs402 said:

I've heard this stance a lot on this thread. Do you know any academically professionals who tackled anime?

After conducting a little surface level research, I've come across two possible areas of inquiry.

First, there's a book called Interpreting Anime by Christopher Bolton. I've only read the introduction so far, but it seems to be fairly well structured and well written.

Additionally, I've stumbled across an academic journal called Mechademia which aims to be "An Annual Forum for Anime, Manga and the Fan Arts." I wasn't able to read any of it, but it should contain a decent range of essays if you want to look further.

Generally speaking, there seems to be some stuff written on popular "canonical" works such as Evangelion or Akira, but not as much on newer pieces. It could be substantially different if I was looking for this in Japanese due to the fact that anime has a much more profound/ingrained cultural base than in western society (and by extension academia).

The point I'm trying to make, I suppose, is that the main academic body in literature studies doesn't engage with anime much, but there does seem to be some on the fringe that do.
I have no taste.

Jun 21, 3:52 AM
depends on the anime i guess and how good the analysis is . analysis can be good to see a few things you might have missed such has symbolism which shows up a lot in anime . and with the overall analysis could make the anime a better experience because you understand it more .. i guess , maybe

Jun 21, 2:27 PM

jal90 said:
The shit analogy is quite appropriate when you are talking out of your ass and it appears to be the case. Of course never let anybody claim your right to do so.

Talking out of my ass is a skill for life.

Anyways, it doesn't matter if I haven't watched any slice of life. I don't really think anyone actually cares either. The whole point is simply digibro is a moron. The End.
warning this idiot is a professional retard

Jun 21, 2:30 PM

Krayken said:
jal90 said:

Talking out of my ass is a skill for life.

Anyways, it doesn't matter if I haven't watched any slice of life. I don't really think anyone actually cares either. The whole point is simply digibro is a moron. The End.

Yeah, I don't care either, I was just pushing a little. Glad that you took it well.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]