Forum Settings
Forums

How does the anime community compare to other communities?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Poll: How does the anime community compare to other communities?

Jun 17, 10:11 AM

Aside from the people who curb their beliefs based on the rest of the community's beliefs, it's alright. The one thing that's always bothered me is when I see people taking the piss out of their ratings by rating something low because of the amount of "hype" a show gets or how well it's rated on the site. It's fine for you to think something is just okay when other people think t's great. You don't need to set out on your own crusade to let everyone know how shit you think it is when you're really just an insecure fuck who has convinced them self it's shit because other people like it more than you do.

It gets under my skin when I see someone say a show is over hyped. Like how the fuck do you measure the appropriate amount of hype? What the fuck do you want from other people or the show? Are you really such an insufferable retard that you need to say shit like that to feel better about yourself? You get shows all the time that stray from the norm and have merit to them which attracts a lot of viewers, but you, the cynical asshole, need to make it your prerogative to piss all over it and throw around your self-important, self-serving and, primarily, egocentric half-cocked criticisms just because you're so miserable that you can't just sit back and allow people to enjoy something that you don't. It's like going on a picnic where everyone is having fun but because you're not having as much fun as them, you decide to stomp on the food everyone brought just so you can be the center of attention. It's pathetic.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 17, 11:18 AM
Grim Anime Fan

For most part pretty good.

In comparison to "hollywood" fandom and such... it's blissful.

In comparison to gaming community, I'd say near equal. Probably a bit worse.

ain't part of other communities so can't comment.

ganomed said:
Smarter in general but more cringy, especially those 20+ dudes who like moeshit and have cute girls in their avatar/profiles, they're disgusting.

Probably biggest cringe is your type of people. Who just throw hostility around.

Jun 17, 11:23 AM

Yeah and those girls that fantasize about men sodomising other men all day long, ugh... come on.

Jun 17, 12:20 PM

It's a mix. I like showing love to my favorite shows and those people who have worked on them, I like seeing other people's creative works inspired by those shows and I appreciate from time to time having a good long discussion of them. Even if it's cringy stuff I can just look other way and let them do their thing and I can do my cringy things in peace. What i don't like is ignorance of the medium quite many (at least in MAL) have, dick measurement competition over minor stuff, setting yourself higher over taste on bunch of cartoons and taking it as an absolute and not actually be self-aware. There's also not so healthy life choices being accepted or tolerated in the community at least overseas.

I am part of few other communities and over all I think they're more enjoyable. It might play a part they're not focusing on any media and are more irl stuff and not just social media communities.

Jun 17, 12:30 PM

"I like how the Anime community acts like a bunch of commie hippies: "We the Anime community!" It's just a bunch of different circlejerks who all hate themselves and their own kind."
No more posts.

Jun 17, 12:49 PM

Tbh I find the anime community to be pretty toxic, but than again, that's more or less the only online communty I've been part of, so maybe I just got too high standards

Jun 17, 2:10 PM

The "anime community" is a large (we're talking about a population in the six or seven digits, possibly eight, depending on the definition) group of people, so inevitably any opinions on the "anime community" are actually opinions on some subset of anime fans that happen to hang out around oneself, possibly plus secondhand information about what anime fans elsewhere are like.

Anyhow, my opinion of the "anime community" at-large is sorta meh. Like any big fandom, it has its cool people, as well as its jerks, and I haven't found it to be particularly (dis)preferable to any other large fandom, yet.

Jun 17, 3:33 PM
second verse same as the first. there's only so much you can take away from something before a rabid collection of indivuduals start frothing at the mouth babbling over some retarded shit.
A: No. but to sum up, This is either real or a transcedental hypersimulation indistinguishable from reality.
Q: how to tell the difference ?
A: wait for the power to fail. it always does.

Jun 18, 4:25 AM

HopefulNihilist said:
CHC said:

Who are those anitubers?

Digibro
Pause and Select

They analyze animes' themes.

I don't understand what you consider to be groundbreaking analysis: what needs to be broken down to wow you?
Don't the critics you listed also simply analyze the themes and structures of fictional works?

Oh digibro... I'm not interested in a debate about his critical merits... but just let me say I don't think he is a good critic at all. He is to media criticism what Destiny debate is to real philosophy.

Pause and Select: OK they do sometime have videos that is relatively nice, especially with their editing. But the writing is quite often too convoluted with no clear argumentative structure or a sense of purpose and gives me an impression that they do not really understand what they're doing but they do it anyway because it is the critical style they've learnt from Azuma Hiroki. I still think they're relatively good compared to other anituber. But their works are rarely inspiring to me.

groundbreaking analysis: I have given you example already. If you want specific shorter pieces that are layman-friendly, here you go:

John Berger on European fine art and modern advertisement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDE4VX_9Kk&t=1s

Terry Pinkard explaining Hegel's idea of Sophocles’ tragedy Antigone
https://aeon.co/essays/what-is-history-nobody-gave-a-deeper-answer-than-hegel

Martha Nussbaum on Greek tragedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWfK1E4L--c

Jun 18, 4:39 AM

Short_Circut said:
Well it's not as circlejerk as the gaming community, but not as free as say the soccer/football community
excume me but the football comunity from what I see : people are alwais getting on each other for liking different team, and then felling pride or shame when they win or loose and be like "heh you suck my team won" even though it's litteraly a brunch of strangers agaisnt another brunch of stranger and you have nothing to do in it. well it's just my opinion and if you're not like that great.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jun 18, 4:54 AM

Honestly, I have seen much worse behaviours in sports, gaming communities etc. Based on my own experience, most people I see here are pretty chill and cool for the most part or more like in the sections I'm visiting at least *ignores current events*. But just like in every other community you can find the coolest people you can meet yet at the same time the most unbearable and disrespectful ones.

Jun 18, 6:15 AM

It isn't better or worse than other communities I've been in. You have your nice people, mentor types, idiots, dickheads, purists, elitists, etc. However some things seem to be unique for the anime community like:

- Having at best an underwhelming amount of knowledge about its own medium when it's not surface level or meme stuff. I am guilty of this myself.

- Old vs new. Don't get me wrong, the music communities I was and still am in have this too but in a different way.

- The irony and humorous self loathing. No other community I've ever seen has a jab at its own favorite hobby as one of its stock memes.

Jun 18, 6:20 AM

>Posts a Digibro Vid
>On a thread asking about the Anime Community

Welp you already know what I am going to say, the Anime community is pretty bad and cancerous, it also has a lot of people from different more toxic communities joining in this making the already degenerate weeb culture even more toxic. The fact that elitism and crazy autists that will tell you to kys over a 2D drawing with tits was always a big joke to me. It's not the worst but at times it can look like that cause most weebs can really put a bad rep over the weeb community thus why it is meme'd on or criticized.
Quitting all Gacha if my E Rank Luck doesn't make me get Moriarty Mahiru in Revue, Edgy Homu or Godoka in MagiReco and then doing Russian Roullet to game end myself

Jun 18, 8:09 AM

I think on the whole the community is pretty great. It's got plenty of bad apples for sure but the good experiences I've had in the community over the years far outway the bad ones.

Jun 18, 8:55 AM

Zehennagel said:
Short_Circut said:
Well it's not as circlejerk as the gaming community, but not as free as say the soccer/football community
excume me but the football comunity from what I see : people are alwais getting on each other for liking different team, and then felling pride or shame when they win or loose and be like "heh you suck my team won" even though it's litteraly a brunch of strangers agaisnt another brunch of stranger and you have nothing to do in it. well it's just my opinion and if you're not like that great.

Yea but in the football community, you pretty much unanimously go from praising a team to roasting it, no team is really considered "invincible" barring cases where a team has a super strong season and doesn't really have any notable bad moments. Ofc you have those bad peas in the pot, but that's the same with every community
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Jun 18, 9:39 AM

Short_Circut said:
Zehennagel said:

Yea but in the football community, you pretty much unanimously go from praising a team to roasting it, no team is really considered "invincible" barring cases where a team has a super strong season and doesn't really have any notable bad moments. Ofc you have those bad peas in the pot, but that's the same with every community
yea I was kinda thinking that as with every community there are those but from what I've seen, people do that IRL unlike other communities which realy makes it obnoxious. Plus I mean there is alwais rivalvry but realy, there's no difference between "our" team and "their" team, it's like there's rivalvry but it doesn't make sense that there is (between fan)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jun 18, 9:49 AM

Zehennagel said:
Short_Circut said:

yea I was kinda thinking that as with every community there are those but from what I've seen, people do that IRL unlike other communities which realy makes it obnoxious. Plus I mean there is alwais rivalvry but realy, there's no difference between "our" team and "their" team, it's like there's rivalvry but it doesn't make sense that there is (between fan)

oh I agree, irl soccer community is actually pretty bad at times. Like there's plenty of times where fans take it too far and literally attack other fans.
'On-Hold' is another way for a completionist to say 'Dropped'

Jun 18, 7:22 PM

It kind of depends I guess if you find a group that doesn't take themselves to seriously about liking anime like its a career it's pretty nice

Jun 18, 9:56 PM

Rather angelic compared to the sports community

You don't see people kill each other over anime

On the other hand, don't even get me fucking started on soccer games

Jun 18, 10:05 PM

The gaming communities are like dozens of times more toxic in comparison....believe me.

Jun 18, 10:06 PM

Kerylon said:

Not to mention, in case you haven’t heard, there was a shootout in Toronto during the Raptors NBA championship parade....that’s just ridiculous.

Jun 18, 10:08 PM

Ryuseishun said:
Kerylon said:

Not to mention, in case you haven’t heard, there was a shootout in Toronto during the Raptors NBA championship parade....that’s just ridiculous.

At this point, I am not even surprised lul

Jun 18, 10:24 PM
better than gaming ones or at least what i seen, but i prefer VN community

Jun 18, 10:43 PM

Toxic because its got retards like me in it.
warning this idiot is a professional retard

Jun 18, 10:52 PM

I find anime community better than the other I've been in. Cause people in anime community are so fun, honest, careless about what they say, it's really enjoyable.

Jun 18, 11:17 PM

It can be as welcoming or as toxic as you want it to be, just depends what you're here for [and where you usually take part in the community]. However in my opinion, just like gaming, the anime "community" isn't really a community, it's just a middle ground that links the actual communities together. Just like how gaming has the cod community, counter strike community, halo, fallout/es etc etc the anime community does the same thing with sci adv community, aot, sao, hxh etc etc [the list is limitless]. I don't think the gaming "community" or anime "community" can be compared to other more traditional communities like bronies, furries, ones that revolve around a single western show etc etc.

Jun 19, 9:01 AM

They all are bad, so here you have a similarity for comprasion.

Jun 19, 10:04 AM

I feel like the community is less toxic than it seems, because the forums for example are based on personal opinion instead of facts. That means in most cases your view on a subject is different to others, whereas fact based discussions don’t have this. With facts there mostly is just one answer to something and although there can be wrong facts it is possible to clarify on those. Personal opinions on the other hand are almost always different and you can end up fighting about a certain subject due to it being solely based on your own feelings.

Jun 19, 11:16 AM

Depends who you interact with in the community I think. In a way I find a lot of similarity between this community and the K-pop community. While you have some senseless fans who are constantly trash-talking people with differents tastes you also have some nice people who respect others opinions. Feels sort of like the same here.
ใ€๐Ÿ‡ณโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ผโ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡ตโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ทโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ดโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ซโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฑโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹ ๐Ÿ‡ฉโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ชโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ธโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ฌโ€‹๐Ÿ‡ณโ€‹ใ€‘

Art by: Mitsuki Sanagi: https://twitter.com/sanagi_zzz?lang=da

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Jun 19, 4:00 PM

In real life, pretty good. Everyone I know or met who watches anime are pretty cool and fun people, and are generally pretty open minded. On the internet though, I can't say I like the whole elitist thing going on, or the endless internal conflicts within the community.

Jun 19, 4:46 PM
Does anyone have any idea about anime swords?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]