Forum Settings
Forums

You've got one clip to sell someone on watching anime - what do you pick?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 17, 2019 2:22 AM
Oct 2018
samurai slaughtering enemies , pain arc clips, kaneki beating jason , unit-01 going berserk
Jun 17, 2019 2:48 AM

Oct 2014
syncrogazer said:
Lunilah said:
Why would saying rated R themes trigger you? Can you explain yourself on this?

It's just a joke about the whole 'age-rating' thing.

when the only thing you added was an extension to an insult,

I also rephrased some other things which I thought were important in terms of nuance, which is what I was really referring to. But I think I have a right to be a bit of a dick when someone passively-aggressively 'OKs' me and then tells me what basically amounts to 'I'm not hear to discuss your beliefs' while at the same time continuing to interpret those same 'beliefs' in question as some sort of unfair treatment of their ideas, which I had never intended it to be...like I feel like a lot of this conversation is made up of weird misunderstandings that just aren't going away for whatever reason. It could be my fault too, but I don't think I'm coming across as confrontational or insulting, this is just how I talk online. And maybe other than my first two posts in the thread which were too brief to really contain much of anything, I believe I've engaged with your ideas, or what I had of them, in good faith.

I only used Karakuri Kiden as an example because it's fresh in my mind. I know that hardly anyone has watched it, but I figured if I explained it well enough that wouldn't really matter. Hopefully I was successful. Though I can't stress enough that the anime really feels like a family show, and not in the typical shounen way but in an actual 'sit down with your parents' kind of way.

From what I remember of Afro Samurai it's just super stylized violence made specifically for a Western audience.

You mention GITS and Madlax immediately comes to my mind as a weird parallel, where it isn't necessarily the plot but the show's subtext that is most likely going to be completely unintelligible to someone too young, but the superficial aspects of it (girls with guns, cool setting etc.) could certainly attract a younger audience. Even stranger, it has an incredibly high body count, but no actual visible blood which makes it harder to define its violence in terms of extreme or explicit, but is definitely ever-present. Yeah, having such few shows in common means we're just going to keep talking about shit one of us has never seen.

A lot of the time, I think maturity means just that in this context: ones ability to handle content at a certain level and an anime's ability to handle its own content with the right amount of self-awareness to properly connect with an audience. But, it's pretty obvious that more detailed that this conversation gets the more we'll end up agreeing rather than disagreeing. I think think the difference in the end is going to be our respective cut-offs for what makes something 'kiddish' or not, with my own personal tendency to see extreme bloody violence as mostly spectacle which comes across as immature, much like vulgarity (I'll never deny my own immaturity though nor how little I care about how 'mature' any anime I watch is or isn't).
Ah okay.

That's fair, i was being pretty passive aggressive without thinking about it, you're right.

Yeah i'm pretty sure i got your point, i know you haven't seen FMA:B but as it being the 4th most popular while having all those that you mentioned while still being accessible to pretty much all ages is a perfect demonstration of your point. Not that i was in opposition to it ever in this thread, as it's just about how these themes are done.

Speaking of GITS, i know you didn't rate SAC highly but the sequel to it is going to be completely 3D and i'm not looking forward to that, but it has the same director. While we haven't got many anime in common i still think we understand each other.

Maturity in the viewer to me, specifically in storytelling, means someone who like you said can watch or read something and understand/notice things like meaning or narrative subtext and parallels that aren't spelled out for them even if it's only implicitly and they don't know how to explain it, or at the very least that specifically would be a sign. If they can do that and find value in shows of particular genres they aren't into is big sign of overall growth to me, not that anybody has to venture down other roads, i just know i never saw myself having some of my current favorites 10 years ago. Actual maturity in anime to me is quite petty, i don't like expository hand holding for one, but no matter the themes or content if it doesn't have good writing and characterization it's just not something that at all resembles a fully developed story and is amateur in that sense and not 'mature'.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 17, 2019 12:04 PM

Oct 2008
Black Lagoon 1st episode, I think will get my point across. That anime is not only for kids and that a mature story can be existing and enjoyed by everyone.
Jun 17, 2019 12:22 PM

Jul 2014
I'd have them watch Gintoki taking a piss.
Jun 17, 2019 3:41 PM

Oct 2010
I'll show them the scene where Ayato is fighting Asahina's dolem (RahXephon) and after I'll show the girls from Sansha Sanyou eating cake and bread crumbs.
Jun 17, 2019 4:28 PM

Dec 2012
It depends on what type of misconception they have and what genres they like to watch.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 17, 2019 4:37 PM

Jan 2016
It depends on why they aren't watching anime.

If they think animation can't connect with you the same way live action can, I'd probably just show them Furiko in it's entirety as an example of what animation can do that live action can't.

If they think it's childish and immature, my go to would probably be that scene from episode 10 of Made in Abyss

If they think it's all fighting and aren't interested in action, I'd probably show them Rei's breakdown from 3-Gatsu no Lion

If the concern is the pedophile stigma or just the rampant high school-ness, I'd probably show them the first fight between Vicious and Spike from Cowboy Bebop

It's hard to pick in abstract though because really, if I'm trying to sell someone on something, the clip I pick most depends on what sort of person they are. Even if I'm talking with a stranger, I'd use whatever clues I have from our conversation to sell it. There is no right clip, but there is a right clip for a person.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jun 17, 2019 5:24 PM
Jun 2015
CallMeHoot said:
This scene from the end of the first episode of Made In Abyss

I was about to post the same link. That scene gives me chills every time I see it.

That and

Or this (don't open if you aren't caught up on Sarazanmai)

SAniyoukosoJun 17, 2019 5:48 PM
Jun 17, 2019 5:40 PM

Nov 2015
Honestly, anything by studio ufotable. Specifically, their work on either Fate/Zero or Unlimited Blade Works. They look amazing and the fight scenes are the best I've ever seen
Jun 18, 2019 3:03 AM

Jun 2019
That is easy here are the clips that I recommend
It's guaranteed to hook anyone on anime

Jun 18, 2019 3:19 AM

Feb 2018
I would have them watch Saitama vs Boros.
Jun 18, 2019 4:22 AM

Jan 2019
The only correct answer in this thread.

Jun 18, 2019 10:10 AM

Aug 2012
My fav Cowboy Bebop clip has too many spoilers so i go with this:
Jun 18, 2019 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
I already got my allergic-to-anime sister watch the whole anime and even read the manga after showing a clip from snk where they are flying with the gear, so yeah I'd use the same trick again
Jun 18, 2019 7:44 PM

Aug 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPtVIMI7MAE&t=257s
Depends on their tastes, but to convince them an anime can have adult, complex and dark themes. Definitely the adult Johan reveal.

Jun 18, 2019 7:46 PM
Jul 2018
Pylia said:
Although my decision might differ depending on the context, one of the highest priority scenes is probably this one from Kizumonogatari

Jesus! You'd show them THAT scene? If anything, that would scare away potential anime fans.
Jun 18, 2019 8:25 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
a pair of jiggling boobs or some fanservice scene

whether or not you want to admit it, its a fact that fanservice DOES get people into anime
Jun 19, 2019 6:14 AM

Dec 2013
I think I'd probably go with this scene from Azumanga Daioh.

Jun 19, 2019 6:23 AM

Nov 2016
If I had to then I would show them Furiko.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 19, 2019 7:48 AM

Aug 2010
what does the person you are showing like?
i think thats the most important question

anime nerds needs to stop forcing their anime obsession on to others haphazardly. Just because you like crummy harem romances, doesnt mean that what you friend or family or whatever like as genres or subject matter
If you know the person likes action, show them spectacular action
if they like comedy, show them a funny gag
if they like artsy crap, show em something colorful and artsy
etc etc etc
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jun 19, 2019 7:52 AM

Jan 2015
Anything from attack on titan. Worked so far. But they only watched attack on titan, and tbh that's the only anime worth watching so i'm fine with that

@laviha good fucking shit right there

edit: so many ppl posting scenes from monogatari, but if that was my first anime, I would've quit right there and never watch any ever
Jun 19, 2019 7:56 AM

Dec 2014
Back in high school I'd show my friends the Ichigo vs Aizen fight from Bleach, you don't really need context to understand what's going on so it's pretty entertaining. To this day I'd say it's still my go-to.
Jun 19, 2019 8:53 AM

Jul 2015
Yoru wa mijikashi.
It is a movie, thus it is easy to get into.
It is also pretty easy to watch and, what is at least as important, extremely satisfying.
Jun 19, 2019 1:40 PM

Jun 2019
TOP 5 GOD TIER ANIME FIGHTS
Jun 19, 2019 2:46 PM

Dec 2017
SnK is still one of the best gateway anime for people with more western tastes imo. It has a western setting, great action, a relateable cast of characters, and a great story. It also has very few anime tropes. As for the clip I'd show, it'd be this.

The dream sequence from One Punch Man would also be great, since the superhero genre is very popular in western media.

shikinoutaJun 19, 2019 2:52 PM
Jun 19, 2019 2:58 PM

Nov 2013
Nothing beats the potato chip scene :D It's basically a classic.
Jun 19, 2019 4:04 PM

May 2019
“Omae wa mo shindeiru”

Hunter x Hunter, Meruem vs Netero would be a good one, too. Just so epic...
Jun 19, 2019 4:37 PM

May 2012
Why would any of you inbreds try to convince someone to watch this filth?
Jun 22, 2019 6:09 AM

Mar 2018
yall think you got the "right answer"

the answer is automatically wrong if it ain't the torture dance from jojo part 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZI9r1EAJxY

ok but like watch jojo part 5 you dont even have to have seen the first 4 parts just start watching it its great for so many reasons

i would post the strong death scenes but those have spoilers
TheDragonGirl27Jun 22, 2019 6:16 AM
Jun 22, 2019 6:14 AM
Sep 2017
One clip aint enough imo.

But i would just show him a Romance scene.
Hey everyone loves Romance right?

Im a dude btw

Jun 22, 2019 6:34 AM

Apr 2014
either a clip of Light and L dialogue, a clip of AOT, or a clip of MSG. To get someone to start liking anime I would normally start with action or high thrilling shows, unless I know something else about their tastes
Jun 22, 2019 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
I think meme is the easier lure to get people into anime.

Slightly unrelated
Jun 23, 2019 4:04 PM

Nov 2015
To add to my previous post, this beauty in particular:
ISOQuorraJun 23, 2019 4:56 PM
Jun 23, 2019 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
MaskOfIce said:

If they think it's all fighting and aren't interested in action, I'd probably show them Rei's breakdown from 3-Gatsu no lion.

I'm still not that far in. We talking the one where he talks about the opponent who lost because he was weak and not that it was Rei's fault? That was hard to watch.
Jun 23, 2019 4:24 PM

Jan 2016
Savasvania said:
MaskOfIce said:

If they think it's all fighting and aren't interested in action, I'd probably show them Rei's breakdown from 3-Gatsu no lion.

I'm still not that far in. We talking the one where he talks about the opponent who lost because he was weak and not that it was Rei's fault? That was hard to watch.

That's the one. That scene has stuck with me since I first watched the series.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 6 hours ago

14 by Rairuchela »»
1 minute ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

977 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

73 by Kenzolo-folk »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 12 hours ago

20 by Rinenka »»
7 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 53 minutes ago

5 by RobertBobert »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.