Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 15, 2019 6:24 PM

Oct 2017
So this might be an interesting topic and polls are fun. How much do you consider time of day when watching anime?

Only evenings? Late night too? Certain types of show at certain times of the day? Or does time of day make no difference to you? Why?

I've long felt that there is a sweet spot in the evening where it's not so late that I'm tired, but it's not so early that I still have that daytime energy which makes it hard to concentrate.

But I've started to think I should try watching some stuff during the day.

I don't think slow-paced, dark and moody, iyashikei or similar types of anime would work so well but if I were watching something fast-paced with action that had a fairly upbeat tone then daytime watching might actually fit it better than the evening.

I probably think too much about this stuff, but it would be interesting to know if/how others think about it.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 15, 2019 6:27 PM
Jul 2018
Nighttime for me. It's much quieter in my home then and I'm less likely to be bothered. Nothing takes me out of a show faster than having to pause nonstop.
Jun 15, 2019 6:31 PM

Jan 2017
I don't watch new shows at night only after 10:00AM and it takes weeks to prepare for it.
If it's a long show I don't mind continue watching it at night.
Jun 15, 2019 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
I only watch at evening/night since I have stuff to do during the day, and I want to focus on that.

But even when it's a weekend/holiday I'm still pretty much nighttime-only since it's 30°C all year round where I live and I get all sweaty unless my AC is turned on
Jun 15, 2019 6:33 PM

Jul 2016
I am reading manga non-stop so I am unaffected. I can read it any time.
Jun 15, 2019 6:36 PM

Oct 2017
Savasvania said:
Nighttime for me. It's much quieter in my home then and I'm less likely to be bothered. Nothing takes me out of a show faster than having to pause nonstop.

Ahh yeh. Noise is a really good point. It used to be so quiet where I live but I swear this past year all the neighbours are doing work on their bloody houses.

And I completely agree, having to pause just kills the experience. I've started to actually wonder if I'm getting too bothered by outside sounds. Like I'm turning in to one of those paranoid, anxious shut-ins. I work from home and barely leave the house other than to shop and go to the gym so it's a real risk lol.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 15, 2019 6:40 PM

Jan 2009
NEET life does not care about watching schedules lol
Jun 15, 2019 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
YossaRedMage said:
Savasvania said:

Ahh yeh. Noise is a really good point. It used to be so quiet where I live but I swear this past year all the neighbours are doing work on their bloody houses.

And I completely agree, having to pause just kills the experience. I've started to actually wonder if I'm getting too bothered by outside sounds. Like I'm turning in to one of those paranoid, anxious shut-ins. I work from home and barely leave the house other than to shop and go to the gym so it's a real risk lol.

Paranoid, most likely not, just an irritable old cuss. Just kidding, you are only two years older than me. I am sensitive to sound anyway so I get what you mean.
Jun 15, 2019 6:52 PM

Apr 2015
I prefer to watch anime at night, much more enjoyable and comfortable.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 15, 2019 6:56 PM

Dec 2016
YossaRedMage said:

Certain types of show at certain times of the day? Or does time of day make no difference to you? Why?

I probably think too much about this stuff, but it would be interesting to know if/how others think about it.

It does make a difference for me as well, mainly regarding shows with a dark or night-ish tone. I can't picture myself for example watching something like Psycho-Pass, Ergo Proxy, Tokyo Ghoul, Monster, etc... during daytime... it just doesn't fit, these type of shows are made to be seen at night since the level of daylight outside definitely affects their desired impacts in the viewer.

On the other hand, shows with a lighter tone I can watch it at any time during the day, it doesn't make much difference. To me there's not much difference between watching something like Doraemon during noon and watching it during midnight...
Jun 15, 2019 7:09 PM

May 2015
I prefer watching shows in the evening. I just feel like if I have time to be watching anime during the day then I should probably spend that time doing something more productive. Its also a nice way to relax at the end of the day.

I've been pretty free recently though so I've been watching more airing shows during the day, especially as in my timezone they mostly air between midday and 9pm. I'd definitely stick to watching a completed show at night though.

♡ artist
サコ
Jun 15, 2019 7:29 PM

Aug 2018
I don't really care about that. The only important stuff for me is the immersion in my environnement that is important. For good shows, i usually wait till nobody can bother me or/and i make sure there are no lights in my room (like if i was in a movie theater).
Jun 15, 2019 7:38 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i try to watch when its just me at the appt, that way i know i won't be disturbed
Jun 15, 2019 7:45 PM

Jul 2017
I usually like to do it in the day/evening, because watching at night sometimes I get too tired to understand what's going on. Problem is I also usually like gaming time in the morning as well, as too long during the nighttime sometimes hurts my eyes
Jun 15, 2019 7:50 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I'm fine with anime any time and anywhere. HOWEVER, I do prefer to have everything I planned to do done before watching, so unless my whole day is free, I tend to watch later in the day.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jun 15, 2019 7:54 PM

Jun 2017
Huh, looks like a lot of people prefer watching at night. Understandable, considering how busy most people are, at work/school during the day. Personally, I don't really mind the time I watch anime. Although I do think there's a proper time and place for some anime though. "insert lenny face"

EDIT:
Also, is there a NightWatch club?
Icelham-kunJun 15, 2019 8:05 PM
Jun 15, 2019 8:25 PM

Oct 2010
I watch comedy shows and stuff in the morning and serious anime like snk or dororo at night but not too late, it's more fun.
Jun 15, 2019 8:41 PM

Feb 2019
I love watching Anime during Night, It's dark and no one bothers me while I spend countless hours Watching Anime.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 15, 2019 8:56 PM
Dec 2017
It doesn't really matter to me. Usually, I just watch anime whenever I want. In some cases, I watch anime really late at night or really early in the morning. This is sometimes because of the content of an anime. For example, when I was watching Devilman Crybaby, I watched it really early in the morning because of all the explicit content.

Otherwise, the time of day isn't very important. It's more like where I watch it. Lol.
Jun 15, 2019 8:59 PM
Jul 2018
Non-iyashikei shows for the morning and afternoons
Iyashikei shows for the evenings and nights to help me get sleepy.
Jun 15, 2019 9:04 PM

Aug 2018
Not really.. I can watch whenever, though I like my sleep, so I usually watch at day or evening.. I really like reading visual novels at night, though..
Jun 15, 2019 9:16 PM

Apr 2015
I was going with evenings while I was in school, but it's afternoons for me now.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 15, 2019 9:20 PM

Nov 2016
Nighttime for me because I'm always busy with work or other stuff. I find it relaxing and more comfortable.
Jun 15, 2019 10:23 PM
Jul 2018
Evenings, usually after 7.
I usually avoid any activity involving staring at a screen during the day, except watching while eating for breakfast or lunch
Jun 15, 2019 10:35 PM

Jan 2012
Late night (after midnight = early morning) is best: everyone else is asleep, so no-one will interrupt my binge session.
Jun 15, 2019 10:37 PM

Aug 2011
I wouldn't say time of day is "important" to me, and I'll watch anime whenever I'm free and in the mood for it, but I do generally watch more anime at night. Especially very late at night, even long after midnight, as long as I don't have to get up early the next day. Sometimes I'll watch during the afternoon if I have the time and interest, but it's just easier to watch it at night, in bed with nothing else to do, than it is to stop everything to watch it during the day. And as others have mentioned, there are also fewer distractions during the night, which makes for a better viewing experience.

I've never thought about watching different genres at different times. I guess it would make sense to watch calmer, more relaxing shows at night, but I'm just as likely to watch an action anime at 2:00am as I am to watch a slice-of-life anime.

Jun 15, 2019 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
Generally speaking, I tend to watch the more serious, "deeper" stuff, shows I have to think along with, on my days off or before work, so I am able to really concentrate on what I am watching.
The somewhat lighter, comedy or packed with action stuff comes after work, when I am tired af.
But of course it depends on my mood too.
Noise level doesn't influence the time of day I am watching, I live alone and wear headphones all the time anyways, so don't even annoying neighbors or street sounds disturb me.
Jun 16, 2019 6:53 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I'm fine with any time. Whenever I can and want watch Anime, I watch.
Jun 16, 2019 7:10 AM

Dec 2017
Midnight is most comfortable time to watch anime for me mostly because, there is always something which takes my day time.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Jun 16, 2019 7:22 AM
Jul 2018
I'm fine with any time but I do love watching anime at dusk, don't really know why though, I guess I like the lighting.
Jun 16, 2019 7:31 AM

Mar 2015
I prefer to watch in the late evening/night.
Jun 16, 2019 8:22 AM
Jun 2016
Morning and late nights I watch comedies, CGDCT. Evenings for serious shows like Attack on titan or shows like Clannad
Jun 16, 2019 8:33 AM

May 2019
I just read manga during the day and watch anime at night because you can sorta doze off while watching it, it’s nice.
Jun 16, 2019 8:52 AM

Mar 2012
I can't be picky about time, I watch half of the episode in the morning (I leave the other half for the next day) while having breakfast and one full episode at night while having dinner after returning home from work. I just try and pick a more sol based anime with nothing much happening in the morning and leave anything plot/action heavy for night.
Jun 16, 2019 9:42 AM

Aug 2017
I don't care so much but,well,if we are talking about "( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) shows" night is the best
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 16, 2019 9:46 AM

Nov 2015
YossaRedMage said:
So this might be an interesting topic and polls are fun. How much do you consider time of day when watching anime?

Only evenings? Late night too? Certain types of show at certain times of the day? Or does time of day make no difference to you? Why?

I've long felt that there is a sweet spot in the evening where it's not so late that I'm tired, but it's not so early that I still have that daytime energy which makes it hard to concentrate.

But I've started to think I should try watching some stuff during the day.

I don't think slow-paced, dark and moody, iyashikei or similar types of anime would work so well but if I were watching something fast-paced with action that had a fairly upbeat tone then daytime watching might actually fit it better than the evening.

Honest-to-God, I was actually planning on making a thread today about this before I saw yours. Because I was curious about this as well.

For me, I think it's actually a bit of a psychological hang-up more than it is a personal preference; I don't think it has anything to do with surrounding noise - headphones take care of that easily enough - but rather with ambient lighting.
I got into anime when I was in high-school, so the only time that I could even watch anything was after all my classes and after I had finished all my homework, which was usually late evening. Even on weekends, I couldn't really attempt to watch during the day because I would have chores, or I would be doing things with my family or I would be out of the house. So I was just sort of conditioned to only watch anime at that particular time.

Even now, though I'm graduated and don't have that sort of strict schedule of classes and schoolwork, I find myself only watching anime at that same time in the late evening. It doesn't really bother me much because I am usually a bit busy with other things during the day, but even when I have enough free time to, I never really push myself to watch an episode or two during the day.
Even if I actually plan on sitting down and binging a lot of episodes in one sitting - or just planning on watching a lot of anime at once - I get easily distracted by other things and never actually start until after sunset or around that time. It's more annoying in those scenarios because I know that I could avoid the lethargy I feel at 3 or 4 in the morning if I had just started watching earlier.
I know I could finish shows a lot faster if I didn't have a problem with watching episodes during the day (or at least starting earlier in the evening), but I just can't seem to break out of my habit
Jun 16, 2019 10:35 AM

Feb 2013
yes there are anime i mostly watched only during a certain part of the day
Jun 16, 2019 10:37 AM

Sep 2014
early morning or late at night is best when on wagecuck mode. when on neet mode, all day, every day.
Jun 16, 2019 10:38 AM
Mar 2016
I like noon the best. Everyone is at work and its hella quiet and peaceful.
Jun 16, 2019 1:23 PM

Oct 2017
ISOQuorra said:
Honest-to-God, I was actually planning on making a thread today about this before I saw yours. Because I was curious about this as well.

Hah! Gotta love those sorts of coincidences. Today on the way to gym I drove past this guy in a flashy car pulling out to go somewhere and on the way back he was returning and parking up at the exact same time I drove past. Even better, he waited to let me pass on the first occasion, and on the second occasion I waited to let him park. I tried to make eye contact to see if he thought it was funny too but I don't think my little hatchback was as memorable to him as his car was to me lol...

ISOQuorra said:
For me, I think it's actually a bit of a psychological hang-up more than it is a personal preference; I don't think it has anything to do with surrounding noise - headphones take care of that easily enough - but rather with ambient lighting.
I got into anime when I was in high-school, so the only time that I could even watch anything was after all my classes and after I had finished all my homework, which was usually late evening. Even on weekends, I couldn't really attempt to watch during the day because I would have chores, or I would be doing things with my family or I would be out of the house. So I was just sort of conditioned to only watch anime at that particular time.

Even now, though I'm graduated and don't have that sort of strict schedule of classes and schoolwork, I find myself only watching anime at that same time in the late evening. It doesn't really bother me much because I am usually a bit busy with other things during the day, but even when I have enough free time to, I never really push myself to watch an episode or two during the day.
Even if I actually plan on sitting down and binging a lot of episodes in one sitting - or just planning on watching a lot of anime at once - I get easily distracted by other things and never actually start until after sunset or around that time. It's more annoying in those scenarios because I know that I could avoid the lethargy I feel at 3 or 4 in the morning if I had just started watching earlier.
I know I could finish shows a lot faster if I didn't have a problem with watching episodes during the day (or at least starting earlier in the evening), but I just can't seem to break out of my habit

Exact same boat! It's a psychological hang-up and habit thing. I'm always staying up late wishing I'd started watching earlier so I could fit more episodes in. Hell, it's almost half 9 in the evening now and I've been putting off starting DanMachi for the last hour and a half or so...
YossaRedMageJun 16, 2019 1:35 PM
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jun 16, 2019 1:32 PM

Apr 2017
Yes, It isn't important but I still care sometimes.
I mean the best time for my anime is during the early evening, where there is still a bit of sun. That's just cool man, maybe accompanied by a can of coke, that's the best way to appreciate anime for me.

but ofc I don't care too much, I watch anime any time.
Jun 16, 2019 1:52 PM

Jul 2017
extremely important since it determines my mood hence it affect my choice/taste of anime
i always feel eerie at night and i tend to seek for excitement and thrill, so i usually watch horror/psychological anime at night
in the morning i watch comedy and shounen anime since im feeling more casual and bright with daylight
Jun 16, 2019 2:14 PM

Oct 2017
Usually more in the evening/afternoon is when I watch anime though it depends.
Jun 16, 2019 8:02 PM

Oct 2008
Yeah I agree with the people who said they like to watch more serious or creepier things at night because the atmosphere is better for those. I mostly watch at night only now so it doesn't interfere with other things but I used to watch in the morning sometimes. I also I like watching slice of life or iyashikei, calming things at night to help me fall asleep.
Jun 16, 2019 10:36 PM

Sep 2013
i don't rlly have a certain time of day i prefer to watch anime, i watch it whenever, tho the genre/type of show it is might impact when i want to watch it occasionally. i remember when i would always save "As Miss Beelzebub Likes" for the early mornings with a coffee before going to work because the show was comfy and put me in a good mood, or if im super tired at night and don't feel like concentrating too much i'll watch something comedic and light-hearted.
Jun 16, 2019 10:40 PM
Jan 2012
I want to say it depends on the genre, but at this point I stopped caring, I'm just happy to have free time to watch anime.

I have a fondness for watching more serious or mystifying series at night though, one of my favorite watching experiences was watching Mushishi on my laptop on my bed in the dead of night. Really set the mood, couldn't see or hear anything but the show, really immersed me into it.
Jun 17, 2019 12:56 AM
Nov 2016
When it comes to watching anime, 2 conditions must be met for me
1 I should be alone
2 It should be night
I've tried watching anime during the day but i just dont feel like it for some reason
When night time kicks in i go on a rampage, watching episode after episode but that feeling never occurs during the day time
Jun 17, 2019 2:41 AM

May 2014
I tend to watch anime in the morning and evening, since that's when i have the time to watch stuff. I don't really have a particular preference.
Jun 17, 2019 2:51 AM

Jun 2010
It's not so much of the time preference, but more of what time of the day I'm free to watch. Even when I'm free, it also depends on my mood, energy level and motivation. If I feel tired, I probably will not watch a 2-hour long movie. I don't usually binge on shows but instead set a schedule of number of episodes (or movies) I can or want to watch a day.
Jun 17, 2019 3:02 AM

May 2009
I haven't explicitly factored time of day into when I choose to watch stuff, but that's partly because it's usually pretty late when I get around ro watching stuff.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

123 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
32 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

self-suff-des - 31 minutes ago

12 by self-suff-des »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

34 by MasterTasuke »»
4 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 hours ago

3 by VeryRedBags »»
12 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

208 by PurplePants »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.