Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2019 3:23 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looks like we got some storytelling about Irene's past and connection as a Dragon Slayer.

An important episode for sure but personally, I'm not a fan of her character. However, they did establish as one of the most powerful characters in this arc so makes sense made her past relevant. (and connection to Erza)

Jun 15, 2019 4:45 PM

Oct 2015
I would've said it was touching if it wasn't fairy tail material, but since it is then...!

What surprised me about Irene's backstory is that she said she loved dragons, but why when she turns into one she becomes conflicted about it and wants to be turned back to human? What a trash of a backstory. So does it mean Erza is 400years old or something, what is really her age? To me this backstory of Erza wasn't shocking or interesting, in fact I felt like it was created out of thin air without any backbone.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 15, 2019 5:06 PM

May 2013
lihle808 said:
What surprised me about Irene's backstory is that she said she loved dragons, but why when she turns into one she becomes conflicted about it and wants to be turned back to human?

I love cats/dogs, but I don't want to become one. This is as simple as that.

Also she wanted to give birth to her human child, and since she was a dragon she couldn't do it.

Concerning Erza's age, Irene gave birth to Erza in the "present time", and then abandoned her in Rosemary village (this is explained in this very episode).
So Erza has a normal age.
Jun 15, 2019 5:11 PM

Nov 2018
Just a perfect episode. Irene's backstory one of the best in the series. Throughout 300+ episodes we never learned anything about Erza from before the Tower of Heaven and at Rosemary as an orphan with Kagura and Simon before getting abducted by Zeref followers. It's crazy how the theme of Fairy Tail revolves around dragons but this episode depicted being a dragon is something you wouldn't wish on anybody.
Jun 15, 2019 5:12 PM

Apr 2013
The story from Irene about Dragons and Erza and the humans was pretty feelsbadman, but what's Natsu doing right now is probably something that will be worth waiting to look forward to by the preview!
Jun 15, 2019 5:19 PM

Nov 2016
And thus we know why Irene is called the Scarlett Despair. Poor her went through a lot of shit.

lihle808 said:
I would've said it was touching if it wasn't fairy tail material, but since it is then...!

What surprised me about Irene's backstory is that she said she loved dragons, but why when she turns into one she becomes conflicted about it and wants to be turned back to human?

How do fighting for the coexistence of humans and dragons and missing the benefits of a human body contradict each other? Also, she just wanted the power to fight in the war, not to turn into a dragon. The fact that she was treated like trash afterwards is another point you might want to consider. Given all that, you still ask this question? Even if it was just rhetorical, there shouldn't have been anything unclear after this episode.
FMmatronJun 15, 2019 5:23 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 15, 2019 7:20 PM

Mar 2014
Is it me or was there quite a few re use animations in this episode?

The amount of Laziness on the animation for FT never ceases to amaze me
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jun 15, 2019 9:34 PM

Aug 2018
Irene’s past is pretty tragic tbh...She basically was treated like garbage by that fake ass guy (top 10 anime betrayals btw) and then went insane after turning into a dragon. I wonder if she is still insane tho, since she seems a lot more composed as of now. Honestly a little bit of sympathy for her character not gonna lie.

P.S. Natsu and Lucy tho ;)
am1llsJun 15, 2019 9:41 PM
Jun 15, 2019 9:45 PM

Dec 2014
poor irene ...still feeling sad for her..I hope she gets redemption somehow
Jun 15, 2019 9:47 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Shoot, Irene’s gone through a lot! A really engaging episode after a long while, Fairy Tail’s backstories are about the best thing the show has provided over the last two seasons.

Betrayal and abandonment, you name it. Erza’s father was a serious prick, you really can’t blame Irene for transforming there out of rage and causing mayhem there. So we finally get to see the connection between Zeref & Irene. On another note, though, Irene seemed to be quite frustrated over little Erza, I’m sure her motherly feelings will get to her during a pivotal moment of the upcoming fight and I can already imagine the track that’ll be playing in the background for it. Certainly looking forward to that! Meanwhile, Natsu is still in his deep slumbers. How much longer are they just going to drag that on for? Oh hey, the Lucy x Natsu bonding there was very touching to see too (≖‿≖)✧.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 15, 2019 10:21 PM

Oct 2015
DlynK said:
lihle808 said:

I love cats/dogs, but I don't want to become one. This is as simple as that.

Also she wanted to give birth to her human child, and since she was a dragon she couldn't do it.

Concerning Erza's age, Irene gave birth to Erza in the "present time", and then abandoned her in Rosemary village (this is explained in this very episode).
So Erza has a normal age.
FMmatron said:
And thus we know why Irene is called the Scarlett Despair. Poor her went through a lot of shit.

lihle808 said:

How do fighting for the coexistence of humans and dragons and missing the benefits of a human body contradict each other? Also, she just wanted the power to fight in the war, not to turn into a dragon. The fact that she was treated like trash afterwards is another point you might want to consider. Given all that, you still ask this question? Even if it was just rhetorical, there shouldn't have been anything unclear after this episode.

this is the same dude that literally missed the entire point of 3 characters in one piece, who are main characters even, dont bother explaining anything to him lul

tbh i totally skipped this ep cause jesus fck, tuaght it would just be half an ep but no, this flashback was the whole ep
reee
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jun 15, 2019 10:59 PM

Jul 2016
Welp Irene past is kinda sad. And Erza's "father" is a fkin cunt.
He deserve to get killed hundred times over
Jun 16, 2019 12:00 AM

Oct 2017
Well Irene's past was sad and I'm looking forward to next episode Irene vs Erza fight.
Jun 16, 2019 2:46 AM

May 2015
Erza's dad was hottie.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 16, 2019 3:02 AM
Aug 2013
lihle808 said:
[...] So does it mean Erza is 400years old or something, what is really her age?[...]

Well, she was conceived 400 years ago but Eileen's enchantment kept her from growing until the "present" so technically and for me, she's not 400 years old.
Jun 16, 2019 3:26 AM
Aug 2013
Poor Eileen... She was such a sweet person and most of all, a queen.

Because of the side effects, she went through hell (they didn't include this part from the manga to the anime), she was cursed.

When you live for centuries, hoping for a cure over and over again, there's only one way to go : Losing your sanity.

Jun 16, 2019 3:32 AM

Feb 2013
Eileen didn't deserve that treatment.
Jun 16, 2019 3:46 AM

Jan 2009
why people calling her Eileen lol thats a manga mistranslation of her real name that is Irene even the official subs says so

i remember at this point in the manga im wanting all Dragon Slayers to become Dragons too and be as powerful as Acnologia without the evil side that is
Jun 16, 2019 5:40 AM

Apr 2013
Oh, so Acnologia isn't the father of Erza after all. We finally got Irene's backstory and also know now how Erza came to be. I don't get how Irene can still survive, because apparently she still can't eat or sleep? Shouldn't that drive her crazy or make her even starve to death?
Jun 16, 2019 6:32 AM

Dec 2016
WOW what an awesome episode one of the best in the series so far..can't believe Erza and her mother back story is like that!!
5/5 can't wait for the next episode
Jun 16, 2019 9:31 AM

Jan 2017
Yaasss. Great story telling, erza's father was some random man and irene is actually the last dragon... or isn't she? Who knows.
And wendy was putting irene in her place, that was funny, especially 'cause she looks like a twelve year old; now we just need her to b**ch slap (metaphorically) irene and take her down. Sorry ezra, this should be Wendy's time to shine -even more so because of the other one taking the limelight a few episodes ago
Jun 16, 2019 11:18 AM

Aug 2013
So we a backstory about Irene. Feel bad for her.

Jun 17, 2019 3:18 AM

Sep 2018
One of the better episodes this season (the lack of animation is just a given now). Nice backstory for Irene. Also lucy 💙
Jun 17, 2019 8:33 AM

May 2016
One of the best back stories but this should have been told in a long time ago thats why I hate fairy tail they reveal everything in the end.

how the fuck can Erza fight Erene??
Jun 17, 2019 6:28 PM

Jul 2017
Damn.. this episode was really good and bittersweet to watch. Irene was tossed aside by the person she loved/cared for and had a child with, tortured, confined in a cell for a long time... I guess i can't really blame her for going insane.. She then basically discovered the harsh truth of her circumstances by being enlightened by Zeref, and she suffered even more than before, because while having a human form again, she was an empty shell.. And that's when she flipped the switch.

And that ending, Erza gave her a typical Fairy Tail based answer i know, but in this particular situation, she couldn't have answered any better than that. I'm still on Erza's side, i hope she wins the fight. Waiting for next episode!
Jun 18, 2019 3:48 AM

Aug 2013
fantastic episode and nice backstory telling

.....and then next episode gonna be Ezra bullshit agen
Jun 18, 2019 3:57 PM
Mar 2015
Mommy Dearest . You are the garbage
Jun 21, 2019 10:40 AM

Jan 2015
i hate erza so i just want this fight vs her mom to end and hopefully she wont get much screentime anymore
Jun 25, 2019 4:26 PM

Apr 2009
This was one of the best episodes yet of any season of Fairy Tail. Irene's backstory was tragic and did a great job establishing how it led to her spiraling out of control until she became as much a monster on the inside as the outside.

It was so good I kind of hope we get some more glimpses at her time post-abandoning Erza.
Jul 8, 2019 8:41 PM

Sep 2017
If only her husband was a unrealistic psycho we probably could have avoid this whole villain thing. Hiro just isn't capable of something more interesting like the husband trying to be supportive at first, but then we get to see how the relationship falls apart due to complications with the dragon body thing, and eventually she ends up being locked up for whatever reason. Eh whatever.
Aug 1, 2019 12:33 AM

Dec 2013
A really solid backstory that actually made me feel really bad for Irene.
Sep 13, 2019 6:54 AM

Oct 2013
It's going to be so bullshit if this infodump allows Erza to asspull a 1v1 victory against Irene when there's no universe she should be able to according to established power scaling. But it is Fairy Tail, so it's clear that's what's going to happen.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 22, 2019 8:12 PM

May 2014
Most of the ep. was flashbacks which worked fine for me. Looks like Irene is the villain of the year. To throw her child just because she couldn't turned into a human. That creepy smile is only seen from an evil villain:

Sep 22, 2019 8:17 PM

May 2014
HueyLion said:
Is it me or was there quite a few re use animations in this episode?

The amount of Laziness on the animation for FT never ceases to amaze me

Yeah I noticed the same myself. Sad to see just because it's ending soon they have become lazy with the animation too. I guess A-1 want to get it over with too.
Oct 7, 2019 3:21 AM

Dec 2012
400 years ago in Dragnof.
Sage Dragon Belserion.
Irene.
Irene using Trace On.
The power of a dragon in a human?
Irene oppai.
A dragon slayer.
Irene created it. She's the mother of dragon slayers.
Lucy laying with Natsu.
Acnologia is coming.
Irene's face is cracking.
At the time, she was pregnant with Erza. Who the father?
Her father was a general from a neighbor country. He looks like a scumbag.
Belserion is dead.
Acnologia.
Irene's face.
They locked her up.
Irene's body.
3 years? WTF!
Dem wings.
Stomped on his ass.
Dat transformation.
Centuries passed.
Zeref.
Irene... no.
Dat ending.

Poor Irene. I wish you didn't have to go through that. So Erza's been on Earth for 400 years. That's also a form of time travel.

2 chapters. The manga actually shows Irene's torture, beatings, and humiliation. For torture, she got tied up and hanged. For beatings, she got stomped on. For humiliation, she was naked on the stake in public.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Oct 17, 2019 1:22 PM

Jul 2009
Irene's past is interesting, Erza's dad was a bastard!
Nov 19, 2019 11:39 AM

Sep 2012
i wouln't mind scaly skin and abbility to transform in to dragon she made 2big of a deal about it and until zeref gave her humal look she was ok could sleep and no issues so whats the big deal just over reacting
Jul 17, 2020 3:40 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty sad backstory of Irene, no wonder she turned to Zeref side and how she became so insanely strong
This pretty much explains why Erza can beat the shit out of Natsu and Gray

Sep 4, 2020 11:57 AM

May 2018
pretty good episode. Didn't care about Irene's backstory but I like how it connected to Erza :O
Jan 18, 2021 5:03 PM
Nov 2014
irene is great, she is very beautiful when she isn't being evil all the time. she has a nice smile on her face.

i feel bad for erza fighting against her own mom.
Mar 13, 2022 4:17 AM
Sep 2020
5/5 ,wow this is seriously some messed up shit ,was not expecting her to be a ghoul with no taste😂
Mar 16, 2022 12:30 PM

Jan 2013
Very interesting episode, they did a great job on Irene's backstory.
It's nice knowing how Dragon Slayers came to be and who Erza's real parents were (even though it was obvious Irene was supposed to be her mother from the moment we saw her)
Her father was a real ass though.
Oct 1, 2022 3:09 AM

May 2020
Pretty much fairy tail-ish backstory, but good to know the origins of dragon slayers, and of course of Erza herself.

Now since they pretty much established Irene as some evil mother, I'm guessing we're about to witness the biggest asspull in fairy tail's history in just an episode or two.
Oct 22, 2022 4:51 PM

Aug 2019
Erza's dad was an ultimate bastard.

Irene went through a lot, but she still turned out to be a bad person. A mother who does not love her child because she wishes to be a regular human being again.
Sun_ChanOct 22, 2022 6:01 PM
Nov 14, 2022 5:46 AM
Feb 2022
Irene se volvió loca por culpa de su marido. Fue prisionera y torturada por años mientras defendía a Erza en su vientre. Así que la mama de Erza invento la magia de los cazadragones.
Con razón Erza es tan fuerte. Estuvo 400 años durmiendo en la panza de su madre.
Apr 16, 2023 6:29 AM

Nov 2010
Interesting backstory. But that's it? That's why she turned into a villain? Anyway, being human sucks! Turning into a dragon is so much cooler! I would like to become one if given a chance!

More topics from this board

» What is the reason for so much hatred for fairy tail series ?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Jan 29

46 by Arminken »»
Yesterday, 12:30 AM

» Any theories ?

Mugiwarayaa___ - Mar 3

16 by MiraStraussFan99 »»
Mar 10, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail: Final Series Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2019

202 by amlg »»
Jan 25, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fairy Tail: Final Series Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2019

60 by amlg »»
Jan 23, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Fairy Tail: Final Series Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2019

38 by amlg »»
Jan 23, 8:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.