Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 14, 2019 5:24 AM
Feb 2014
Feel free to delete this topic if you find it stupid or something.

The page of this OVA says it's also a horror episode, but it doesn't feel right. The only horror element about this is that the action part of it is really dark. Is it just me?
Mar 9, 2020 5:48 PM

Jun 2019
ylight67 said:
Feel free to delete this topic if you find it stupid or something.

The page of this OVA says it's also a horror episode, but it doesn't feel right. The only horror element about this is that the action part of it is really dark. Is it just me?

Well, horror is broad. If it listed horror as its sole genre I would say it was inaccurate, but listed with Mystery, Psychological, and Thriller suggests it contains elements of horror, but isn't exclusively horror. It does give the implication it's considered as the primary genre though since it's ordered first in the list.

The horror elements are a quarantine of Hinamizawa being enforced at gunpoint by military units, lynch mobs attempting to kill people including kids and storm houses, Keiichi and Rena having to kill graphically and repeatedly when we haven't seen explicit murder (from the protagonists acting of sound mind in their normal capacity) in the series previously, Satoko being kidnapped and going to be drowned as a human sacrifice, Dr. Irie's suicide, even Hanyuu/Oyashiro-sama appearing as a slightly more sinister and somber force than usual, and the apocalyptic ending.

I would argue these are the instances of it which validate horror being listed among its genres. If one were to argue it should be included but shouldn't be listed first, then what is it more of? There really isn't much mystery to people already familiar with the series and it barely spends any time inside characters' heads/internal monologue to consider it properly psychological. Thriller would be the only tag I'd say would be more appropriate to come before Horror in the listing. Since it does have some action scenes and heavy suspense characteristic of all those "Escape from this crumbling doomsday scenario" type titles.

The entire series suffers (or some would say is strengthened by) from this genre ambiguity though. Similar to how the first season is more of a horror while the second is more of a thriller (arguably like this OVA film), and people who came to the series for the horror in season one consequently found themselves disappointed by season two.

WatchTillTandavaJul 11, 2021 10:14 PM
Mar 15, 2020 6:58 PM
Feb 2014
While I can't say I liked everything about the direction the series took, there sure had to be some sort of conclusion ultimately and I think it could have been way worse in overall. Personally I was fine with it I guess, I liked it all.

I'm glad to see though that I'm not that only one who sensed some sort of changes (I can't really find better words to say this) as the series progressed.

As for the main question of this topic, you are right, horror is broad indeed and I find your reply is reasonable and does answer my question, so I appreciate that you took your time to answer!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku: Outbreak Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 15, 2013

178 by Bistekete »»
Jun 12, 2023 11:24 PM

» When is this?

WitchJacqueline - Nov 28, 2014

1 by TimeGoesOn »»
May 25, 2015 4:37 PM

» Higurashi Outbreak's supposedly ending

I_Am_Drunk - Jul 19, 2014

1 by Luna »»
Jul 29, 2014 1:13 AM

» So, who else is excited? ( 1 2 3 )

Katsuro-chan - Dec 16, 2012

121 by doyakubo »»
Jan 10, 2014 9:49 AM

» fansubbing group for higurashi kaku

741shadow - Aug 29, 2013

31 by bajin666an »»
Oct 1, 2013 9:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.