Forum Settings
Forums

What differentiates a casual anime fan and a hardcore one?

New
Jun 13, 2019 11:26 AM

Feb 2019
I can’t seem to tell. I have friends that watch a lot of anime, read light novels and manga but they also do other things like play sports and hang out with friends.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 13, 2019 11:28 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
a hardcore fan has heard of one piece AND naruto

*smirks, pushes glasses up to nose, creating a reflective glare in the lens*

owo

Jun 13, 2019 11:32 AM

May 2013
One who doesn't bother with such kinds of distinctions = casual anime fan. :p
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 13, 2019 11:37 AM

Jan 2019
My view is that a casual anime fan is somebody who mostly watches popular seasonals or whatever pops up on Netflix or some other streaming service, while a more hardcore fan actively seeks out certain types of anime that he/she enjoys.
Jun 13, 2019 11:44 AM

Jul 2016
A hardcore fan is one who has watched LotGH and everyone else is casual.

Memes aside I think it's a blurry line and it really depends on the lifestyle of the watcher. I guess if you go out of your way to look for shows to watch and it's a bit more than a hobby you can consider yourself a hardcore fan. Being a casual watcher usually carries the connotation of being more easy going in watching shows and not attempting to do more than just look up a show and watch it.
Jun 13, 2019 11:44 AM

Jun 2012
Hahaha op making it sound like you have to be socially crippled to like a lot of anime. Got a good chuckle out of me
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 13, 2019 11:47 AM
Sep 2018
If your primary language is english, can you watch an anime j-dub no subtitles and understand everything that’s happening.
Jun 13, 2019 11:51 AM
Sep 2018
DiscoDespot said:
My view is that a casual anime fan is somebody who mostly watches popular seasonals or whatever pops up on Netflix or some other streaming service, while a more hardcore fan actively seeks out certain types of anime that he/she enjoys.
yeah this is what I can agreed with the most if you’re looking for a serious answer to your question
Jun 13, 2019 12:06 PM

Jul 2011
I guess a hardcore fan is someone who watches a lot of anime without getting tired of it and a casual who occassionally watches anime. Ofc this is just my pov everyone else may interpret these terms differently. I would consider myself as a casual fan then, I rarely watch anime nowadays because I have other things that interest me more

Jun 13, 2019 12:07 PM
Oct 2015
Futz_ said:
I can’t seem to tell. I have friends that watch a lot of anime, read light novels and manga but they also do other things like play sports and hang out with friends.

you call one weeb and another a human. Youll be able to realize it when you have enough experience
Weebs are actually were weebs even before anime was known. İt is like this:
İmagine in a workplace there is a normal dude and there is another weird dude socially awkward adult person who is way too introvert to be called a workmate. And all the cause of those people are being lazy and other people around them being easy on them. Basically you are inferrior when you are that socially awkward as a mentally grown person. As i said, maybe you already know this type of people but you havent realized them and weebs are same thing yet or you are just too young that you didn't meet with a lot of people and get to know them. Maybe those friend of yours know how to live? Because there is reality, there are dreams and then there are people who pull every string around them closer to each other and let some of strings go and get over the consequences like a boss. İ am not really gonna roast weebs because mostly MAL is filled with them but at least hope you understand that those friends of yours are not weebs
orkuncanJun 13, 2019 12:16 PM
Jun 13, 2019 12:09 PM

Jul 2017
Jun 13, 2019 12:10 PM

Feb 2016
if you own a dakimakura, you can't be a casual
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 13, 2019 12:28 PM

Sep 2008
my honest answer is:
a casual anime fan only watches shows he hears about. either recommended by friends or youtubers. so he'll end up with the most popular seasonals, and only seeks anime as a way to socialize.
a hardcore anime fan won't stop there. one dives deep into the medium out of his own interest and love, and will end up watching a lot of classic shows.
you'll start following the careers of your favorite directors, artists, animators.
you'll develop an interest in anime beyond "what's cool to watch?"'
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jun 13, 2019 12:29 PM

May 2018
"What differentiates a casual anime fan and a hardcore one?"
The casual has a softcore, duuuh!
Jun 13, 2019 12:33 PM

Dec 2012
Casual;

as a Noun

1. Someone who does something irregularly or infrequently

Hardcore

as a noun

1. The most active, committed, or strict members of a group or movement.
KruszerJun 13, 2019 12:39 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 13, 2019 12:43 PM
Jul 2018
Why do people on this site keep making the same threads over and over again, just in case you didn't know there is a search function.
Jun 13, 2019 12:45 PM

Apr 2019
As is the case for literally almost everything, there is a spectrum which ranges from casual to hardcore. There is no definite point where one leaves "casual land" to get to the "hardcorehood".

What I believe is that if a person just watches whatever they see available in a streaming service, or just watch whichever popular show is airing, that person can be classified as casual in this topic. Still, they may understand the nuances of the different shows and be able to appreciate the intricacies and thoroughs of each one, and they may be really into the worldbuilding, characters and plot. In that regard, the person is a hardcore anime fan, at least hardcore for those specific animes.

I don't watch many animes, though I do try to appreciate the medium in a more critical way than some of my friends. Nonetheless, I don't consider myself a hardcore fan due to not watching anime in massive quantities.

You know, now that I think about it, there could be a two-axis chart regarding ammount of animes watched per unit of time in X and engagement in anime-related content (such as reading/posting on this forum or devouring wikis and side stories about said show) in Y. The more you watch anime and the more you engage in the medium, the more hardcore you are, and vice-versa.
Jun 13, 2019 12:53 PM

Nov 2014
DiscoDespot said:

I think it could be something much more extreme. I wouldn't use the term casual unless is someone who barely bothers to watch any anime, but suddenly loose thir asses with Boku no Hero Academia.
Jun 13, 2019 12:53 PM

Dec 2015
Deduleadaa said:
Why do people on this site keep making the same threads over and over again, just in case you didn't know there is a search function.

Mate, searching is hard.

Today's children have been spoon fed thier entire life.

Sorry, but you are atm asking for to much, sadly.

It's a fuck up world we live in x)

Jun 13, 2019 12:55 PM

Feb 2016
Nillwas said:
Deduleadaa said:

Mate, searching is hard.

Today's children have been spoon fed thier entire life.

Sorry, but you are atm asking for to much, sadly.

It's a fuck up world we live in x)
following the rules are for casuals
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 13, 2019 12:55 PM

Nov 2014
Pike27 said:
As is the case for literally almost everything, there is a spectrum which ranges from casual to hardcore. There is no definite point where one leaves "casual land" to get to the "hardcorehood".

Yeah, something more like that. What do you think it would be the more hardcore type of anime fans you've ever seen?
Jun 13, 2019 12:59 PM

Jan 2019
BlancaXLobo said:
Pike27 said:

Yeah, something more like that. What do you think it would be the more hardcore type of anime fans you've ever seen?

I crossed the line into hardcore for sure since I have over $700 of merchandise for one character! Or does that just make me a creep? lol.

Edit: Make that $900, I forgot the pre-orders.......
Jun 13, 2019 1:03 PM

Nov 2014
DiscoDespot said:
BlancaXLobo said:

I crossed the line into hardcore for sure since I have over $700 of merchandise for one character! Or does that just make me a creep? lol.

Edit: Make that $900, I forgot the pre-orders.......

I don't know, man, i wasn't thinking too much about merch. I was talking more about searching for obscure OVAs from the 90s and 80s or even binge watching the lowest rated animes in this site. That kind of hardcore. The kind of I dared to see what most people even dare to mention.
Jun 13, 2019 1:04 PM

Nov 2014
@DiscoDespot can I ask in which character it was?
Jun 13, 2019 1:04 PM

Nov 2016
There isn't a fixed definition to describe a casual or hardcore fan. There are also "levels" inbetween. Many factors such as overall amount of time spent, frequency or priority should be taken into account. Then there are enthusiasm and willingness to see and learn more about anime and it's history. Those are attributes I would ascribe to a more passionate consumer and genuine fan, not someone who is just bored and happens to watch anime for a few month.

And nope, caring about your hobby or spending a lot of time on it doesn't mean that you have to forsake everything. That's coming from someone who's watching a few episodes pretty much every day.

And ffs, fuck everyone who looks down on others solely based on some stats.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 13, 2019 1:08 PM

Jul 2014
A hardcore fan is one who after finishing an anime, proceeds to look for the next one, a never ending spiral.
Jun 13, 2019 1:09 PM

Aug 2010
hardcore fans almost specialize in watching only anime is what my guess would be

then you also have anime-tards who think anime is the best thing in the world and everything else sucks. you can ignore these people, the rest of the world does.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jun 13, 2019 1:11 PM

Jan 2019
BlancaXLobo said:
@DiscoDespot can I ask in which character it was?

That would be Ryoubi (or Ryobi) from the Senran Kagura video game series. (though she was briefly in the animes too) The poor girl has only 12 likes on MAL, its criminal!
Jun 13, 2019 1:14 PM

Nov 2014
@DiscoDespot sorry, i don't know her, but for what you say, i'm no the exception. Can you send me the link?
Jun 13, 2019 1:18 PM

Dec 2017
A hardcore anime fan is someone who dreams about his waifus all day.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Jun 13, 2019 1:18 PM

Jun 2019
* Has fewer than 500 titles watched

* Watches only mainstream anime

* Watches less than 8 episodes a day

* Less than $2000 in anime merchandise

* Doesn't have a body pillow

* Prefers subs over raw

* Dislikes lolicon

* Posts on Mal

Jun 13, 2019 1:21 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
DiscoDespot said:

i think this is a pretty good definition, although i'd add that hardcore fans:

watch a lot more anime

tend to buy merchandise
Jun 13, 2019 2:34 PM

May 2009
Futz_ said:
What differentiates a casual anime fan and a hardcore one?

Sounds like you're trying to use bad stereotypes of anime fans (being unsocial dorks stuck on their computers all day or somecrap) as a proxy, when that actually has very little to do with actually being an anime fan.

Fundamentally, "casual" and "hardcore" have to do with levels of dedication, and it's also a continuum, not just an either X or Y.

A better proxy is to ask to what extent a person would associate themselves with a label as an indicator of their identity.

A "casual" fan is someone who doesn't take anime watching, or liking anime, or anime fandom activities, etc. all that seriously. They take things "casually", naturally. A "hardcore" fan on the other hand does take this stuff a lot more seriously. So for example, a hardcore fan is more likely than a casual fan to do stuff like, differentiate between sub groups (or actually be a part of a sub group), buy $100 figurines, make youtube videos, and so on. But there's no single thing that differentiates the two; a casual fan could do any of these things too. Just that they're less likely to do it.

Meanwhile, people who use "casual" or "hardcore" as insult labels are just stupid jerks.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 13, 2019 2:36 PM
Apr 2016
Rojitoki said:
Casual anime fan watches 15 anime totally and doesn't seek any further while hardcore watcher has already watched at least 50 anime and still look for new anime.

50? Are you serious?
--

I'd say a hardcore fan would be one that has seen a lot and I mean like hundreds and hundreds.
Jun 13, 2019 2:41 PM

Sep 2014
u hardcore when u laugh at non-weebs as an inferior race
Jun 13, 2019 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
Hardcore: someone who sees themselves as casuals among hardcore and want to be more hardcore
Casuals: someone who see themselves as hardcore among casuals
Jun 13, 2019 4:18 PM

Aug 2018
Have you attempted to have sexual intercourse with a loli body pillow?

If not, you aren't really hardcore.
Jun 13, 2019 4:45 PM

Jan 2013
Jokes aside for me hardcore is someone who gets into the nitty gritty.
As in looking up people who work in the industry, researches the history of anime and manga and its cultural impact on Japan (the same with genres), looks up the really obscure stuff (even if it doesn't have subtitles) and actually has an interest in animation.

Casual on the other hand is well... the name speaks for itself.
Is the opposite of a hardcore fan.
They have a mild interest in anime, usually only watches what gets recommended.

Of course both of them can overlap but you get the idea...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 14, 2019 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
KindUnicorn said:

* Less than $2000 in anime merchandise

thats soft my figures alone are probably closing in on 2k and i dont even have that many

Jun 14, 2019 10:36 AM

Jun 2014
The number of titles/episodes you've seen has little to do with being casual or hard core, because you can still be "very much into" Anime without having seen thousands of them, but I admit that someone who hasn't yet completed at least 100 Anime may not be that hard core.

I'd like to think that an Anime fan who knows a decent amount about the history of Anime, collects Anime in physical form, and has a figure collection would probably be considered a "hard core fan," and that would make me one, because I fit all those criteria. I'm probably one of only a small few people here who even owns an Anime laserdisc collection.

Besides being a hard core fan, I'm also a "Hard Core Man:"

Jun 15, 2019 5:36 AM

Sep 2017
If being a "hardcore anime fan" means you don't also do other things like play sports and hang out with friends, then it's probably better you not be a hardcore anime fan.

To be honest, most "hardcore anime fans" have a taste as shitty on anime as casual fans, if not shittier.
Jun 15, 2019 5:42 AM

Jun 2014
CHC said:
If being a "hardcore anime fan" means you don't also do other things like play sports and hang out with friends, then it's probably better you not be a hardcore anime fan.

To be honest, most "hardcore anime fans" have a taste as shitty on anime as casual fans, if not shittier.

There's nothing wrong with not having any friends, and not playing sports.

Jun 15, 2019 5:45 AM

Jan 2018
One doesn't watch much anime, the other watches a lot of anime.
Jun 15, 2019 6:01 AM

May 2018
Being casual is ok. Being hardcore is ok, too.
The real cancer is weeaboo dummies, silly fanboys and pretentious elitists

Jun 15, 2019 6:23 AM
Jul 2017
PantsuSenseiUwU said:
if you own a dakimakura, you can't be a casual

This
Also you must know about the characters and plot from other anime even though you haven't seen them and know about the airing anime and put in all of your efforts for anime. Put in at least 6-10 hours a day to follow anime. (if you are not a kid.)
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
Jun 15, 2019 6:24 AM
Jan 2018
I don't know, I use to watch a lot of anime, but now I'm just waiting for seasonal releases. Does that make me casual? Like I watch 3 episodes a week this season (Shield Hero, Kimetsu, AOT) because I dropped/on hold most of the shows this season. But unlike most other anime fans I am an avid reader of light novels, so does that make me a casual anime fan but a semi hardcore otaku? Does my ranobe collection or my anime game library make me more hardcore?

If I were to answer seriously, I'd say hardcore anime fans have a niche that they like and doesn't just watch the mainstream stuff (not that I'm saying it's bad). Like tell me with a straight face that an anime fan that has watched all episodes of LotGH or has consumed all main Typemoon works isn't hardcore in their own way.
Jun 15, 2019 9:46 AM

Apr 2019
BlancaXLobo said:
Pike27 said:

I can't say for anime, as none of those I know that watch anime are hardcore fans. However, I used to be a hardcore gamer - I'd skim through all news in multiple sites, participate in a couple of forums, I'd know about every single release (including minor ones) for multiple gaming systems and I'd play to no end through multiple games at a same time, while still trying to 100% them.

I think the same would be applied to a true hardcore anime fan. Someone who participates in forums religiously while watching multiple anime episodes per day, plus knowing about current and future releases while still having time to enjoy older animes and discuss their artistic merits in a civilized way could be called a hardcore fan.
Jun 15, 2019 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
I refer hardcore ones are very knowledgeable to details, crook and cranny. Of course this can be only if person is a hardcore fan toward a certain anime title.

For general hardcore anime fans, i think they just constantly enjoy watching plenty of it.

But breaking it down, let's say, they watch atleast 6 hours everyday conflicting daily duties.
Jun 15, 2019 10:08 AM
May 2019
There are several stages to an anime fan

1:anime fan starts to watch anime other than pokemon or other anime that appears on US TV. If they have discovered MAL they will just click on reccomended and watch the first thing they see and think its amazing. Time dilation is possible at this stage. somehow they can watch 24 episodes that are 25 minures each in 8 hours

2:anime fan starts to realize the difference in anime and how to tell if its bad just from rhe cover art and synopsis. Time dilation is lost at this stage.

3:the anime fan starts desisiring to discuss the anime they watched, unluckiky for this anime fan, they dont check the date aired before watching and all of the conversations start to progress without them

4: the anime fan starts gouging as much anime as possible. Trying to keep up with the latest conversation. Any anime that finished airing more than a year ago will be lost in the void of "plan to watch". Memory loss of anime fans is common and should not be expected to be larger than 6 months ago

5: the anime fan reaches enlightenment and realizes they stopped enjoying anime a bit ago. That they were just grinding for a never ending line of completed shows. They stop giving a fuck and realizes that a stupid harem show with big boobed characters is sometimes enough

Source:https://youtu.be/4VCkq0e2920
Meowzer05Jun 15, 2019 10:11 AM
Jun 16, 2019 3:16 AM

Aug 2017
Casual anime fan(1.0)= its my main/off hobby, I'm not stressed out.
Hardcore fan(2.0)= anime is my life, you can kill me IRL, BUT you cant kill my love.

That is what first comes in my mind, but I think I could tell more difference.
Btw I think I'm (1.5).

Btw can someone make something like a test (what level anime fan you are?).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Today

21 by funtime43_tr »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 1 hour ago

4 by Otakupervert890 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

122 by IsaacOB »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 56 minutes ago

4 by Lhundrup »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

8 by Lucifrost »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.