Forum Settings
Forums

Poll: what’s better Yaoi anime or Yuri anime

New
Do you prefer Yaoi or Yuri
Jun 11, 2019 11:19 AM
May 2019
Do you prefer Yaoi anime or Yuri anime.
I’ve done polls on similar stuff like this, people that don’t like Yaoi or yuri,
You don’t have to reply on how bad or disgusting they both are.
This is a poll for people that do watch yuri/yaoi, I don’t want your opinions on how disgusting they are. ;\
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 11, 2019 12:32 PM

Apr 2016
To be quite honest they're both equally bad.

I'm not saying this in the yaoi is sin, yaoi is bad type of way, since to be quite honest, this genre is what has gotten me into anime in the first place. I used to watch BL religiously and enjoyed it greatly, but that isn't the case now.

I do take BL and GL for what they are -- mostly fanservice for the straight population, but it's becoming a lot harder to actively enjoy it when you're a part of the LGBT community and those genres become nothing but sort of a mockery of your identity. And I don't necessary say it as a criticism; at the end of the day, BL/GL are mediums of expression and they are totally valid. Yes, me and a lot of other LGBT folks aren't exactly thrilled by the representation, but then again, they're not made for us.

To answer your question, however, I had far better experiences with GL themed anime than BL.
Jun 12, 2019 11:01 AM
Jul 2018
Where's the "they're both garbage" option?
Jun 12, 2019 11:08 AM

Sep 2017
“Dont want your opinions on how bad they are” op then dont make the thread? They are both equally gross,but if done properly they can be good.
If they give actual representation and respect for example,a good stable relationship between 2 girls with no weird stereotypes “this girl plays the boy and this girl plays the girl” + a show that is made for GIRLS,for LESBIANS,for women who like women and not creepy men who like to fetishize then yeah yuri can be good,plus points if the series is written by a woman who actually likes other women.
Its all about how and by who its done.
(Also i made the example with yuri but the same exact goes for yaoi and anything like that)

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jun 12, 2019 11:12 AM
Apr 2017
I've seen a couple of decent yuri shows and a couple of utterly garbage yaoi shows so I guess I'm going with yuri at the present moment.

Wish there were either yaoi/yuri shows that weren't so appallingly half-arsed but it is what it is, and romance as a genre is not that high in my priorities that I'll go look specifically for those kinds of shows anyway.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jun 12, 2019 11:19 AM

Apr 2013
Lol like anyone on this God forsaken forum is going to listen to you OP as you can see how the posters above me have trashed on both genres. They're OK in Anime form but GL is doing better by its increase in production in the recent years but both BL and GL do better in manga form or fanfictions but I am more of a Yuri Stan seeing as how cute some of its ships can be from series that has Yuri undertones

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jun 12, 2019 11:21 AM

Jun 2015
yaoi is better bc pp > STINKY pussie  
Jun 12, 2019 11:26 AM

Dec 2013
Can we get a fence-sitter option to the poll? I think yuri is gonna win though, since straight women often like the both while fewer straight men seem to be into yaoi...

I'm also pretty sure most lesbian women still watch yuri but gay men prefer bara over yaoi? I'm not sure though.
Jun 12, 2019 11:29 AM

Jul 2017
I can sit through yaoi but can't stand yuri so there's my vote

hentai though it's the other way round
Jun 12, 2019 11:49 AM

Sep 2016
i watch many the yaoi and yuri anime but i dont know, if anime make beuatiful woman and man then is always good but I attract to both, is hard to say what is better.... but my culture say it is not normal to be attract to man and i not speak to family and friends about, it make me very confuse.

Jun 12, 2019 11:53 AM

Dec 2017
I will go with yuri since there are some shows that I like in that genre.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Jun 12, 2019 11:57 AM

Dec 2017
Apoc_Revolution said:
i watch many the yaoi and yuri anime but i dont know, if anime make beuatiful woman and man then is always good but I attract to both, is hard to say what is better.... but my culture say it is not normal to be attract to man and i not speak to family and friends about, it make me very confuse.

No culture that I know encourages homosexuality.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Jun 12, 2019 12:11 PM

Sep 2016
thevagus said:
Apoc_Revolution said:

but the west accept if you attract to own gender yes? i live in saudi arabia, police arrest you if talk about this

Jun 12, 2019 12:30 PM

Mar 2015
Both. Both sounds good. At the same time.
Jun 12, 2019 12:35 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Anime for each of them has there ups and downs. The Doukyuusei film though is probably one of the best romance stories in all of anime period but most of the BL series are pretty trashy even for me. Sadly GL doesn't really have an outstanding player unless you count Utena which I can but it really stands on it's own apart from the romance and not really a representative. Most of them are pretty fluff cute girls who're basically friends but just a bit MORE.

All in all, they're pretty MEH tier. I've watched a lot of both and they mostly make me yawn cause there is no commentary and barely growth. Go read some fanfiction instead.
Jun 12, 2019 12:37 PM

Sep 2017
Apoc_Revolution said:
thevagus said:

but the west accept if you attract to own gender yes? i live in saudi arabia, police arrest you if talk about this

Yeah some parts of the world are a lot more strict and close minded than typical america/europe,but a quite a bit of the west still doesn’t encourage homosexuality/lgbt

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jun 12, 2019 1:14 PM

Sep 2016
tookawaiii said:
Apoc_Revolution said:

Yeah some parts of the world are a lot more strict and close minded than typical america/europe,but a quite a bit of the west still doesn’t encourage homosexuality/lgbt

ooohhh so the west not fully accept the gay but accept more than the east ok i understand. it is better to live in the west but i not have money to travel, i want make yaoi and yuri anime freinds too

Jun 12, 2019 1:22 PM

Sep 2017
Apoc_Revolution said:
tookawaiii said:

ooohhh so the west not fully accept the gay but accept more than the east ok i understand. it is better to live in the west but i not have money to travel, i want make yaoi and yuri anime freinds too

Yes i can definitely say the west is a lot better at handling it,i hope that someday you can travel out and make more friends that are into this genres!

Jun 12, 2019 1:33 PM
Aug 2011
Animated? It might seem like it's my thing but no not really.
The stuff that gets adapted usually ends up being: yaoi = too forceful; yuri = ZzZz high school drama

I like works that have queer elements but with a more psychological approach them and I prefer all this in manga form.
Jun 12, 2019 1:47 PM

Sep 2016
tookawaiii said:
Apoc_Revolution said:

Yes i can definitely say the west is a lot better at handling it,i hope that someday you can travel out and make more friends that are into this genres!

thank you my friend. I make account on this site 3 years ago to talk people about yaoi and yuri but they say my taste is shit, can you say what is bad about my anime list? i want have good taste too :(

Jun 12, 2019 1:50 PM

Jan 2018
If we consider just anime, I respond with conviction that Yuri is better. Really. Some Yaoi shows are offensive (both in quality and socially). There's an article here in MAL (I don't remeber who wrote neither the name. sorry) that list Yaoi animes with rape. and it's like..all of them. Actually, the only good yaoi anime that I know is Doukyuusei.
If we consider manga too, I think both have great titles :)
I tend to prefer Yuri in romance and Yaoi in drama. Maybe because GL is cute af and BL makes me cry (that was a joke...........probably)
Jun 12, 2019 1:50 PM

Sep 2015
Which one do I vote for if I want this post deleted?
Jun 12, 2019 1:57 PM

May 2015
Answer: both suck.

Read BL or yuri manga if you want actual good content of these genres. It's always the trashiest stuff that gets chosen to be animated because I guess trash sells. If you look through all the available manga there's some great non-problematic BL and yuri manga out there.

♡ artist
サコ
Jun 16, 2019 11:55 AM

Aug 2018
Depends, I like both if they are done well.
As for yaoi, there are good gay relationships in anime which focus on plot too. This includes anime like Yuri on ice, Banana fish or No.6.

I have seen less Shoujo ai anime, but some good ones are Bloom into you and Aoi hana (from what i have heard).

However, most yaoi and yuri manga is often there for fanservice towards the heterosexual audience, and doesn't show realistic interpretations of sexuality.
Jun 16, 2019 11:56 AM

Jun 2019
Yuri by far there are very few good yaoi anime
Jun 16, 2019 11:58 AM

Jul 2016
What even are those? Never heard of them.
Jun 16, 2019 12:12 PM

Dec 2009
Honestly, both of them have their flaws.

I have watched some Yuri anime and I thought they were boring (maybe because they seem too slow paced for me)

While Yaoi is more interesting to watch because of the drama, several of them seem rapey (some guy getting forced/blackmailed into having sex or be in relationship) and calling it love . This is one of the reasons why people dont like it.

But there are some good exceptions like Yuri on Ice,No 6 etc.
JaemaeJun 16, 2019 12:19 PM
Jun 16, 2019 12:27 PM

May 2012
Yaoi (with trap) > Yuri >>>>>>>> Yaoi
Jun 16, 2019 12:28 PM
Jul 2018
Places bet on the yaoi horse.
Hdhhdhdh characters
Jun 16, 2019 12:29 PM

Mar 2019
NthDegree said:
Can we get a fence-sitter option to the poll? I think yuri is gonna win though, since straight women often like the both while fewer straight men seem to be into yaoi...

I'm also pretty sure most lesbian women still watch yuri but gay men prefer bara over yaoi? I'm not sure though.
I'm male and bara is the most disgusting crap ever.

Truth be told males more often than not have goddamn awful taste. Yaoi is way better. It's like they need to quadruple the normal testosterone level of every character or they feel threatened in their masculinity watching it or something. There comes a time when the amount of muscular definition on a man makes him look like a man-sized cancer tumor. More often than not it looks like the artist prays every night to a shrine of Rob Liefeld-sensei to obtain divine insight into human anatomy.

Also – I do unironically watch it for the plot.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 16, 2019 12:30 PM

May 2016
I honestly prefer yuri, but the problem is the lack of good shows and likeable characters. Only anime I've enjoyed so far was Sakura Trick and that was years ago.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Jun 16, 2019 12:36 PM

Apr 2016
Jae71 said:

But there are some good exceptions like Yuri on Ice,No 6 etc.

Those aren't yaoi, though. No. 6 is a SF that just so happens to feature LGBT characters and Yuri on Ice is fujobait.
Jun 16, 2019 1:00 PM

May 2011
Neither of these. Those are exploitation genres, as indicated by their labels. Mostly Yaoi, where rape is often handled as an acceptable plot element on a love story. Their narrative gears around particular fetish, any concern of simply telling a cohesive story around wholesome characters is secondary.

I don't like shows which exist solely to be interpreted through the lens of sexuality. They gain more in coming with respectful undertones among a complex body of writing. Think of Revolutionary Girl Utena, the right way to do it.
Jun 16, 2019 2:45 PM

Dec 2013
Sphinxter said:
NthDegree said:

Truth be told males more often than not have goddamn awful taste. Yaoi is way better. It's like they need to quadruple the normal testosterone level of every character or they feel threatened in their masculinity watching it or something. There comes a time when the amount of muscular definition on a man makes him look like a man-sized cancer tumor. More often than not it looks like the artist prays every night to a shrine of Rob Liefeld-sensei to obtain divine insight into human anatomy.

Interesting... I know one gay man who is super into bara but also a bunch of others who have never mentioned it despite being into anime. I suppose it depends on whether you're into muscle? I have no idea what bara is like aside from the general aesthetic though, since I've never seen it myself. Like what kind of tropes does it have?

Anyway, my point is, for some reason there is just one genre for lesbian romance (GL/yuri) but two for gay romance (BL/yaoi and bara). So I'm assuming (male) gay community is divided between the two while lesbians only have one genre. I wonder why there is such a division...
Jun 16, 2019 3:14 PM

Mar 2019
NthDegree said:
Sphinxter said:

Interesting... I know one gay man who is super into bara but also a bunch of others who have never mentioned it despite being into anime. I suppose it depends on whether you're into muscle? I have no idea what bara is like aside from the general aesthetic though, since I've never seen it myself. Like what kind of tropes does it have?
In general the typical stylistic differences between yaoi and bara are held to be:

• Bara characters are going for the Mr. Olympia this year and and are stiff not only from desire for each other but also from steroids; yaoi characters are generally slender and lean.
  • Bara generally features very little plot; yaoi is typically a (byronic) love story featuring great sorrow
  • Bara tends to actively emphasize sexual orientation labels which are seldom dropped in yaoi; it is seldom made clear what sexual orientation yaoi characters are and whether such a concept even makes sense in the world they inhabit
  • Bara tends to have no asymmetrical roles within the characters whereas yaoi typically has both characters playing very distinct roles

Anyway, my point is, for some reason there is just one genre for lesbian romance (GL/yuri) but two for gay romance (BL/yaoi and bara). So I'm assuming (male) gay community is divided between the two while lesbians only have one genre. I wonder why there is such a division...
That is just a nomenclaturative matter — "yaoi" and "syounen-ai" existed before "bara" and "bara" gained a distinct name to separate itself.

The first yuri was interestingly enough not made by males for males like the first syounen-ai was made by females for females; it was actually originally made by female artists for a teenage female demographic — they were largely romance story with a very downplayed, often nonexistent sexual element.

I think a major thing at play here is that there seems to culturally be a far greater pressure upon males than upon females to adopt a sexual orientation label. I've always flipped this off myself but I'm not foolish enough to not realize it exists. If a male make out with another male at a party in a drunken mood once he is immediately quæstioned as to the nature of his "sexual orientation" whereas it's accepted for females to do so without having to "identify". It seems to be completely acceptable as well for self-identified "heterosexual" females to unironically read yuri and appreciate it but be a male caught with yaoi or bara and immediately he is assumed to first be homosexual and he might later perchance correct others and claim to be "bisexual" which they might believe but any chance of claiming heterosexuality and simply liking the story is lost.

Which such higher pressure upon males to adopt a sexual orientation label it becomes obvious why they would need to distance themselves more and create a distinct "bara" label to separate themselves.

Now having said that I stress yet again my belief that most of these "pressures" are self-invited by how one carry oneself. I have rarely first-hand experienced such pressure and it's very easy for me to talk about my sexual and romantic history as-is without being quæstioned as to whatever vacuous "sexual orientation" label I might stick upon myself. I don't radiate a need to conform to "masculinity" because I have no such need and consequently I escape most of the negatives (and also some positives) that come with radiating such a need. Indeed — as a teenager I can distinctly recall having a classmate that made me face the opposite typically female-faced situation that seemed to heavily imply that I merely had a sexual past with other males to "turn females on" — a far cry from the usual being immediately assumed "homosexual" for as much as sharing a hug with another male.
SphinxterJun 16, 2019 3:18 PM

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 16, 2019 3:17 PM

Jan 2009
lol obviously yuri since majority of people here are males like me anyway
Jun 16, 2019 3:18 PM

Jun 2014
Yaoi, of course, but Shounen-ai is even better.

Out of the two, I only read/watch BL, as GL is not my kind of thing.

Jun 16, 2019 3:37 PM

Dec 2013
@Sphinxter I see... I do remember hearing about some study where males were more clearly divided into either completely straight or completely gay while women had a much larger grayscale of bisexuality on average. I'm not sure if that's something biological though or just a result of those expectations that may pressure the participants to answer a certain way.

But yeah, I'm under the impression that even today the majority of yuri manga is shoujo oriented ie. mainly for girls. I've also played a couple of otome games that had one female love interest alongside the male reverse harem.
Jun 16, 2019 3:45 PM

Mar 2019
NthDegree said:
@Sphinxter I see... I do remember hearing about some study where males were more clearly divided into either completely straight or completely gay while women had a much larger grayscale of bisexuality on average. I'm not sure if that's something biological though or just a result of those expectations that may pressure the participants to answer a certain way.
I'm pretty convinced that is just a random cultural thing that will eventually die out. Permit one to look at historical cultures it clearly didn't seem to be a constant.

I think it's caused by the HIV epidemic. So-called males-that-have-sex-with-males (MSM) were extremely visible and feared in the 80s and 90s due to the HIV problem; this naturally didn't really affect females since female–female transmission of HIV is a incredibly small occurrence. This really led to those males being segregated from society and it's felt to this day.

But yeah, I'm under the impression that even today the majority of yuri manga is shoujo oriented ie. mainly for girls. I've also played a couple of otome games that had one female love interest alongside the male reverse harem.
Indeed — doing that in a male-targeted game is a good way to scare off the viewer it seems.

Though it does seem that this is more of a western thing than a Japanese thing. Japan (and Korea) have managed to craft an aesthetic for males that males seem to be more comfortable with admiring probably because it isn't based on oozing testosterone and steroids till one looks like having walked out of a Rob Liefeld drawing.

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 16, 2019 3:57 PM

Feb 2016
Having my homies kiss each other is enough for me that I don't need to watch in my free time as well.
Yuri I enjoy stuff such as Yuru Yuri and Whispered Words where the GL tone is light. I prefer those over Citrus and Sakura Trick.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 16, 2019 5:38 PM

Jun 2016
Majority of people on MAL are guys so it's obvious yuri would be the most picked choice.. in general girls tend to like both but guys can't get into yaoi lol
I don't think there's a 'better' one between the two, i just think there may be one choice you prefer over the other due to your preferences which for me is yaoi (shounen ai is better though)
Jun 16, 2019 5:54 PM

Oct 2017
Ok, I'm just going to say it.

Lesbians are fucking hot and my enjoying that has nothing to do with LGBT rights so take that crap back to Twitter. If a show can give me a good story with great characters who also happen to be cute lesbians then that's all the better. But you know what? If it isn't that good a story with bad characters that happen to be hot lesbians, it's just a bad anime. In your opinion, of course. It's not like the sexual stuff is suddenly exploitation or disrespectful. It's just another anime that you don't like. Move on. Don't turn it in to some ethical issue when it isn't. Fucking children justifying why they don't like something so everyone else shouldn't like it either.

Seriously, if people are sexually turned on by something there will always be some useless, sexless, perpetually offended person who has a problem with it and throws a tantrum, demeaning fine people who are just enjoying themselves with insults clothed in big words they learned from their gender studies professor.

These kinds of pretentious, faux-intellectual, self-important, demeaning assholes are exactly the kind of anime fan I can do without. There's one particularly egregious example in this thread who I won't name but damn man... Some people only serve to bring negativity in to the world and it's so twisted that they present themselves as moral and intellectual arbiters when they're just angry children.

Short_Circut said:

There are Yuri hentai? The only good purely Yuri hentai I know of is "Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo". I've personally always been extremely disappointed in the selection of Yuri hentai. 99% of the time the Yuri tag is on shows that are almost entirely straight porn with one token lesbian scene or, more often, a threesome where there is a brief bit of girl-on-girl.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 16, 2019 6:06 PM

Jul 2017
YossaRedMage said:

Lesbians are fucking hot and my enjoying that has nothing to do with LGBT rights so take that crap back to Twitter. If a show can give me a good story with great characters who also happen to be cute lesbians then that's all the better. But you know what? If it isn't that good a story with bad characters that happen to be hot lesbians, it's just a bad anime. In your opinion, of course. It's not like the sexual stuff is suddenly exploitation or disrespectful. It's just another anime that you don't like. Move on. Don't turn it in to some ethical issue when it isn't. Fucking children justifying why they don't like something so everyone else shouldn't like it either.

Seriously, if people are sexually turned on by something there will always be some useless, sexless, perpetually offended person who has a problem with it and throws a tantrum, demeaning fine people who are just enjoying themselves with insults clothed in big words they learned from their gender studies professor.

These kinds of pretentious, faux-intellectual, self-important, demeaning assholes are exactly the kind of anime fan I can do without. There's one particularly egregious example in this thread who I won't name but damn man... Some people only serve to bring negativity in to the world and it's so twisted that they present themselves as moral and intellectual arbiters when they're just angry children.

Short_Circut said:

There are Yuri hentai? The only good purely Yuri hentai I know of is "Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo". I've personally always been extremely disappointed in the selection of Yuri hentai. 99% of the time the Yuri tag is on shows that are almost entirely straight porn with one token lesbian scene or, more often, a threesome where there is a brief bit of girl-on-girl.

The references you mentioned are what I was referring to lmao. If it was full yuri hentai I probably wouldn't really enjoy watching it for the same reasons as non-hentai, but throwing those bits in regular hentai is actually pretty enjoyable ngl
Jun 16, 2019 10:32 PM
Jul 2018
I prefer yuri because it has cute girls being cuddly with each other
Jun 16, 2019 10:53 PM
Jan 2012
No offense to both the Yaoi and Yuri crowd, but these genres to me are just fetish bait. Yaoi is so rapey and most of the time pretty generic with minor alterations. Yuri is always so saturated and pink with the girls always act so innocent and pure despite the fact they're having sex, and there's always cherry blossoms everywhere.

If I really wanted some same-sex interactions and situations I'd go for Shounen ai/Shoujo ai. That way they at least have to write a competent story and cast to go along with the sexual undertones.
Jun 16, 2019 11:23 PM

May 2016
i prefer yuri just because i guess i'm also a girl. i don't think i could casually ever read yaoi

。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆。

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

月光
Jun 16, 2019 11:38 PM

Oct 2017
YossaRedMage said:

Short_Circut said:

We found the obligatory homophobic fetishizer.
Jun 16, 2019 11:41 PM
Dec 2017
I don't really watch either. (I prefer to read.) I'm more into yaoi and shounen ai though. I haven't read any yuri or shoujo ai. I support the relationships in either one if they're healthy though. I have come across some manga that have those annoying tropes and, 9 times out of 10, I just drop them. Some of them are either weird or straight up wrong...

Anyway, it just depends on the specific series and relationship. For example, if one relationship is healthy and the other is not, I support the healthy one. If both of them are healthy, I support both. So, I don't see either one as "better", I just read one more than the other.
Jun 16, 2019 11:50 PM

Aug 2016
... ..... More like wich is less crap
:v
Jun 17, 2019 12:45 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I like both when it comes to manga, but when it comes to anime, I swear the industry is determined to make the crappiest yaoi and yuri into anime. There are like a few exceptions each for both yaoi and yuri though.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Yesterday

57 by Leer »»
15 seconds ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

16 by ninjaberserker »»
29 seconds ago

» Anime Time Capsule

eli_shmeli - 19 minutes ago

3 by Toooooooooohru »»
58 seconds ago

» Do you like when anime acknowledges the presence of the camera or screen?

WatchTillTandava - 20 minutes ago

3 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think girl on girl (yuri / GL / shoujo ai) is hot?

Bakchos - Aug 15, 2019

42 by Toooooooooohru »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.