Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 2 Discussion

Mar 26, 2008 8:50 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Utena gets possessed!...or something.
LOL, what was with the big white rose censoring the crucial moments?! XD

Mar 27, 2008 12:11 PM

meconopsis said:
LOL, what was with the big white rose censoring the crucial moments?! XD

i know, most mahou shoujo series make a big deal out of the transformation/power up sequences while this one is censoring them.

still not sure what i think of this series

Aug 28, 2009 7:57 AM

I feel like Wakaba and Anthy are symbolically linked. I even lookedup their birthdays and they're both the same sign. I think my theory might end up being correct. We'll see.

I'm really surprised by this episode. Everything went against cliche, in my opinion. Utena wanting to lose, and then winning with only the explanation of Chu-Chu. Very well done.

Sep 16, 2009 11:35 PM

That was quite.. an interesting battle song. and random rose censoring! least she wrecked him two times in a row

Jun 8, 2010 10:16 PM

As for the rose censoring during the "possession"... as you watch this series, you'll there's a reason for everything... whether it be symbolic...obvious..hidden...etc... When the rose goes away, its not like she changed/transformed like other series. But it is a kinda "lol" moment...

The rose for the duel that appears in the final blow is to add suspense..

But yeah this series is VERY different than anything out there, so there are some elements that people are gonna raise eyebrows and believe me... there's more coming...

but it gets better and better.

Nov 11, 2010 2:21 PM

The rose 'censorship' made me giggle a bit.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ

Dec 3, 2010 8:21 PM

I can't believe she actually chopped his sword in half! That was awesome! I never imagined that a shoujo series could have a protagonist that badass.

Mar 25, 2011 7:09 PM

Did she just dude's sword in half?
wth with that huge rose when that guy merged with her though?
<i>When all else is lost, the future still remains</i>

Apr 7, 2011 4:43 PM

The rat is funny
"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"

Jun 24, 2011 7:42 AM

I laughed so hard at that pre-historic theme song!

"DNA, Morekuru, Bakuteria..." WTF

Jul 1, 2011 11:49 PM

Yeah, the "battle song" is strange as all hell. But, there is something about this show, and I'm not sure what exactly, that is working for me so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Feb 7, 2012 1:59 PM

The battle song and rose were...odd lol

Apr 1, 2012 6:21 PM

TowardsTheStars said:

hahaha indeed lol

May 4, 2012 11:54 PM
I enjoyed everything about this episode except for the rose censoring. There better be a really good explanation for that later on because instead of creating suspense it ruined the mood of the scene for me. :(

Jul 24, 2012 7:30 PM
I am loving this show, but I have no idea why.

Aug 4, 2012 11:17 PM

Mon_Diamond said:
TowardsTheStars said:

hahaha indeed lol

So glad I am not the only one lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Aug 23, 2012 5:47 PM

Am I the only one who is royally creeped out by the shadow girls?
"Do you know, do you know? Have you heard the news?"

Nov 19, 2012 4:40 PM
That was an interesting episode.

Also, Chu-Chu is funny..

Feb 5, 2013 10:30 AM

Lol, that song they play for Utena walking up to the castle, and the battle music. The engrish had me cracking up. Can't help but feel like the first episode and the second episode were basically the same thing.

Feb 6, 2013 12:14 AM

I like how these episodes are flowing.
It's easy to watch and get sucked in.

May 8, 2013 8:17 PM

Kinryn said:
Am I the only one who is royally creeped out by the shadow girls?
"Do you know, do you know? Have you heard the news?"

I actually like the shadow girls. They are representing gossip (obviously) and I just love the way they do that.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Jun 30, 2013 4:53 PM
is it just me or does it seem like it would be a huge pain in the ass to have to reclimb that huge spire every time you get challenged to a duel

i guess it's a good excuse to reuse that song and the animation of climbing the steps

Aug 2, 2013 4:10 PM

The thing about the Shadow Girls is that they are a very clever way of utilizing foreshadowing. For example, in this episode they wonder if it'll be so easy for the "hero", to willingly lose the duel. Ultimately, Utena wins the duel.....maybe because of Dios himself coming down and helping her or maybe even forcing her to win. Then again, she may have wanted to win anyway, given how much effort she put into the battle.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Jan 13, 2014 12:13 AM

A fairly good second episode.
A bit surreal.

Jan 21, 2014 1:45 PM
Quite a lot of reused material from the first episode, almost feels like an exact copy.

Battle song's lyrics are quite strange indeed.

Mar 12, 2014 11:06 AM

What was up with the shadow girls riding the horses and the cactus moving across the screen? lol

Dec 12, 2014 11:06 PM

Oh my lord/sweet jesus, THOSE LYRICS TO THE BATTLE SONG! WTFFF I was spazzing out laughing so hard out of confusion and amusement that I couldn't pay attention to the actual duel itself. I just kept thinking about the lyrics...

Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonion, Stromatolite! Bacteria!

LMAO, what in the ACTUAL FUCK?

I should write a song too, using the notes I took in Geology 101. LOL
Modified by SaveTheAralSea, Dec 12, 2014 11:10 PM

Dec 21, 2014 9:50 PM
This anime is odd but for some reason I really like it.

Mar 30, 2015 4:22 PM

Damm that was awesome chu chu is amusing XD haha when he tried to stab that fucker with his fork XD
[/quote]

Sep 2, 2015 12:31 PM

Those weird insert songs during the fight actually worked pretty well in amplifying the action.

Feb 2, 2016 8:19 AM

I really love the song that plays on the battles, very cool, chuchu is very cute I wouldn't have lose either to protect him lol

Really looking forward to see Utena and Anthy relationship develop :P

Feb 13, 2016 7:40 PM

I thought at first when the rose symbol appeared during "Dios"entering Utena", it was implying something sexual explicit but i immediately got the memo the second time it appeared during the final clash between Utena and Saionji xD

Aug 22, 2016 4:59 AM

lordzeru said:
Can't help but feel like the first episode and the second episode were basically the same thing.

My thoughts exactly.

Sep 2, 2016 12:11 AM

This show has some rather interesting music...

Very similar to the first episode tbh

May 26, 2017 12:03 AM

Man those battle lyrics were bizzare. Was the writer high when they wrote those?

It was a good episode though. I'm a tad uncomfortable with the Dios(?)/spirit part since it seems to be implying she was possessed, but perhaps it was more of a "giving her his strength" sort of deal.

I'm glad Anthy isn't stuck with that jerk again.

Sep 6, 2017 10:53 AM

There's definitely a formula shaping up, one which reminds me of the first half of Kill la Kill. This episode hit some of the same beats as the previous one, the fact that it was the exact same opponent, and the reused animation probably doesn't make it feel any less similar.

But there were still several new things here. The outcome of the duel will probably stick this time, that is, Saionji will probably not challenge Utena again, at least for a while. I like that while Utena is willing to go with the flow, she doesn't forget to ask questions, even if Anthy doesn't have answers. We now know the Student Council's goal, and that Dios is the prince. His ghost seemed to possess Utena, giving her the power to defeat Saionji, so I wonder if he's dead and if Utena will be able to meet him in person at all.

For some reason, Utena denies that she's doing any of it for Anthy, even though she clearly didn't like seeing her getting hurt. I assume she's just frustrated with this game she's been roped into, and with Anthy being so overbearing. It remains to be seen if she warms up to her. The opening suggests that she will, but maybe it's not a good idea to trust what the opening shows.

And then there's the elephant in the room, at least for me. I've been afraid of giving any serious thought to the lesbian undertones, because I don't want to be disappointed. But Utena really seems to enjoy the attention from girls. And she's embarrassed by her best friend's teasing to a suspicious extent. Neither of these things mean anything necessarily, but they're getting harder to ignore. God damn it, why can't I just turn off this part of my brain.
Modified by LeeTailor, Sep 6, 2017 11:26 AM

Jan 1, 2018 9:11 AM

Saoinji is such a despicable character, in just two episodes he has hurt Anthy three times! My blood boils each time i see him slapping her. I was wondering, if she's not his bride anymore why she doesn't reply back?

I'm also really curious about this letters of the End letters, and what's the role of each and every member of the student council, so far the rest of them has stood back and watched from afar, but i'm guessing they are all bound to duel with Utena.

The power of Dios that Anthy invokes each time before drawing the sword from within her is the power of this mysterious prince i guess, is he the sword himself.

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Mar 25, 2018 6:59 AM

Lol, second part of the episode felt almost identical like in episode one xD
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Nov 25, 2018 8:13 AM

Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku is GODLY.

There is something creepy about Anthy, and her unwillingness to do anything, even if it means only defending herself from getting slapped. I have no idea what's her role in everything, but her passiveness isn't normal, even for damsel in distress.

May 6, 9:03 AM

I wonder what does the timer in Kaoru's hand mean, It's the second time it shows up! There must be some reason behind it.
There's also a monument with weird symbols in the left side of the screen (I'm referring to the scene where Utena meets with Saionji before the battle)

UPD: those symbols are astrological signs
Modified by St0rmblade, May 10, 7:15 AM