Forum Settings
Forums

Is English dub really that good? Why do people keep being hyped over new dubbs?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jun 12, 2019 6:32 PM

Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:

DaCraziGuy said:
besides that almost every "dubber" in every language tend to be worse than the original.
How so?

First, in the case of anime, japanese voice actors are usually "actors", they act and they can give some feelings. It's the same case with good actors in live action movies.

But the voice actors in the west (in every language) are just some people that voice characters, most of them suck. You can't compare them to actual actors, they suck... that is why they earn a ton more of money that one random "dubber", they aren't from the same quality.

I have watched different dubs in different languages, and they always make radical changes to the script and the show lose a lot of it's meaning.

Basically, if you don't care about meaning, words, emotions and enjoying different languages it's because you are actually dumb, sorry to say it like that. You'll never achive the same with third rate people (regarding the job, not the person itself) even if you don't care about the content, simple as that.

Still, there are some good "dubbers", but they are really a minority and it varies in different countries the quality of those.

Jun 12, 2019 7:32 PM

May 2009
DaCraziGuy said:
First, in the case of anime, japanese voice actors are usually "actors", they act and they can give some feelings. It's the same case with good actors in live action movies.

But the voice actors in the west (in every language) are just some people that voice characters, most of them suck. You can't compare them to actual actors, they suck... that is why they earn a ton more of money that one random "dubber", they aren't from the same quality.
But I can compare them, since I barely even know their names, and I don't really care if they're "professionals" or not, as long as what they do works, and besides, I'm bad at recognizing voices, so I'm giving everything a fresh comparison every time, basically.

And when I compare the experiences I get from the two, the dubs tend to give me more emotional depth, on average.

DaCraziGuy said:
I have watched different dubs in different languages, and they always make radical changes to the script and the show lose a lot of it's meaning.

Basically, if you don't care about meaning, words, emotions and enjoying different languages it's because you are actually dumb, sorry to say it like that.
But I do enjoy different languages and I do care about meaning, words, and emotions. But even if I didn't, how would that make me "dumb"?

In any case, one of the most important aspects of a narrative experience, for me, is the emotional journey. Voicework in my native language are often more capable of bringing out those emotions, compared to voicework in a foreign language, and that's because I can directly get the meaning from the way the words are spoken, rather than having to reconnect read text with spoken tone of voice. The connection is more direct, and closer to what a native speaker of that foriegn language would experience if they heard the work in that language.

Changing meaning does not equate to losing meaning. Besides, as long as the story is cohesive and makes sense, that's what matters, more than a translation that's more word-for-word accurate but does not reproduce the emotional experience of a scene.

DaCraziGuy said:
You'll never achive the same with third rate people (regarding the job, not the person itself) even if you don't care about the content, simple as that.
I don't think they're "third-rate people", based on the results that they've achieved for me personally.

And I do care about the content, just not the same way you do.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 12, 2019 8:51 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Zawarudo0079 said:
Are US voice actors really good in anime?

Not at all. Mostly they're absolutely terrible. I can't watch them without getting second-hand embarrassment.
Jun 12, 2019 8:57 PM

Jan 2016
I only like old dubs because the old dub companies would usually write campy, vulgar jokes into the script that were funny as hell.
β–Ύ Check Out My Original Series β–Ύ

β–Ύ Check Out My Blog β–Ύ
Jun 12, 2019 8:58 PM

Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
But I can compare them, since I barely even know their names, and I don't really care if they're "professionals" or not, as long as what they do works, and besides, I'm bad at recognizing voices, so I'm giving everything a fresh comparison every time, basically.

And when I compare the experiences I get from the two, the dubs tend to give me more emotional depth, on average.
If you mean speaking by "doing their job", I guess you are right, lol.

But even if I didn't, how would that make me "dumb"?
Choosing to be ignorant is being dumb, simple as that

In any case, one of the most important aspects of a narrative experience, for me, is the emotional journey. Voicework in my native language are often more capable of bringing out those emotions, compared to voicework in a foreign language, and that's because I can directly get the meaning from the way the words are spoken, rather than having to reconnect read text with spoken tone of voice. The connection is more direct, and closer to what a native speaker of that foriegn language would experience if they heard the work in that language.
Sorry, but this is basically admiting that you are slow...

Changing meaning does not equate to losing meaning. Besides, as long as the story is cohesive and makes sense, that's what matters, more than a translation that's more word-for-word accurate but does not reproduce the emotional experience of a scene.
Some random dude trying to change the story to making it fit something that has been made in another language, with different semantic structures, timing and culture with a language is pretty much butchering the story. Even if the adaptation is made by a genius, it is almost lost cause... anyway, they aren't on the same level as a professional writer, director or scripter.

Not sure what is you native language, but I hope you aren't talking about english dubs...

If you like watching shows at it's worse, be my guess, but you should know that you are watching the lowest quality and potential of the show.
Jun 12, 2019 8:58 PM

May 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
obvious_troll said:

1. That is complicated because in dub you have to match syllables and context. Like in Steins;Gate main character tries to speak broken English but fails. That joke can be translated directly to sub but would not work in dub at all.
2. Okay
3. Yes. Just watch NGE movie dub or watch new Code Geass movie and compare them to original series. They are a lot livelier. I straight up hated NGE old dub and Code Geass was also so so. Just shouting what you said early won't make it come true.
4. Really is that the best you can say? I disagree so must be stupid and dumb. Just read my signature first line.

1 - That is my point, in dub YOU HAVE to change stuff, in sub, you rarely do it.
3 - Having a "livier" in a dark atmosphere is not good at all... besides, they suck by themselves... they hurt and they don't fit the characters at all.
4 - It's not the best, but I already stated that in point 5 of my first comment and I'm not trying to fight.

1. Goal of dubbing is to get the context across not word to word translation. That is physically impossible.
3. I think you missed the point or maybe I articulated it wrong but dub used to feel flat like someone was reading right from script. Most dubs nowadays have overcome that barrier therefore dubs have actually improved. Whether they are up to your standard is debatable. Standard varies from person to person. Some people are more nitpicky then others.
5. What first comment? Can you please quote it or something.

What was the latest dub you watched anyways? Not the last but latest.
obvious_trollJun 12, 2019 9:01 PM
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Jun 12, 2019 9:07 PM

Aug 2018
obvious_troll said:
DaCraziGuy said:

1 - That is my point, in dub YOU HAVE to change stuff, in sub, you rarely do it.
3 - Having a "livier" in a dark atmosphere is not good at all... besides, they suck by themselves... they hurt and they don't fit the characters at all.
4 - It's not the best, but I already stated that in point 5 of my first comment and I'm not trying to fight.

1. Goal of dubbing is to get the context across not word to word translation. That is physically impossible.
3. I think you missed the point or maybe I articulated it wrong but dub used to feel flat like someone was reading right from script. Most dubs nowadays have overcome that barrier therefore dubs have actually improved. Whether they are up to your standard is debatable. Standard varies from person to person. Some people are more nitpicky then others.

1 - Kinda, the change a lot of stuff and a lot of things lose it's meaning completly.
3 - Yes, it can vary, but after hearing a good one and a bad one, you should get an idea at least. Also, just the fact that "dubber" can't be as good as an actor is more than enough to get the idea... or at least it should.

5 -
DaCraziGuy said:
Imo there are 5 reasons for watching a dubbed anime:

1 - The subbed version has a much worse video quality.
2 - You are still a kid.
3 - You are pretty blind.
4 - You don't know how to read well.
5 - You are dumb.

Extra: It's one of those really weird and rare shows with an actuall decent dub and it can be compare to the original (2.5% aprox).
Jun 12, 2019 9:25 PM

May 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
obvious_troll said:

1 - Kinda, the change a lot of stuff and a lot of things lose it's meaning completly.
3 - Yes, it can vary, but after hearing a good one and a bad one, you should get an idea at least. Also, just the fact that "dubber" can't be as good as an actor is more than enough to get the idea... or at least it should.

5 -
DaCraziGuy said:

1 - The subbed version has a much worse video quality.
2 - You are still a kid.
3 - You are pretty blind.
4 - You don't know how to read well.
5 - You are dumb.

Extra: It's one of those really weird and rare shows with an actuall decent dub and it can be compare to the original (2.5% aprox).

1. Complete changing of meaning is not as common as you think. It used to be which was really stupid but at least now it is less frequent. In battle shonen/action it rarely occurs and even if it does good script can make up for lost meaning. In Steins; Gate they changed okabe's broken English joke to the him describing what a mad scientist he is and his crazy inventions. The joke still landed. In my book it was pretty good.
3. ""dubber" can't be as good as an actor" -A made up fact. Deishuu Kaiki wants to talk to you.
5. So calling people dumb is your way of telling that you don't want to fight. I guess I'll be calling you dumb from now on.

You forgot to answer "What was the latest dub you watched anyways? Not the last but latest."
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 12, 2019 9:28 PM

Jun 2012
obvious_troll said:
DaCraziGuy said:

5 -

1. Complete changing of meaning is not as common as you think. It used to be which was really stupid but at least now it is less frequent. In battle shonen/action it rarely occurs and even if it does good script can make up for lost meaning. In Steins; Gate they changed okabe's broken English joke to the him describing what a mad scientist he is and his crazy inventions. The joke still landed. In my book it was pretty good.
3. ""dubber" can't be as good as an actor" -A made up fact. Deishuu Kaiki wants to talk to you.
5. So calling people dumb is your way of telling that you don't want to fight. I guess I'll be calling you dumb from now on.

You forgot to answer "What was the latest dub you watched anyways? Not the last but latest."
You're pretty wholesome for an obvious troll.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 12, 2019 10:02 PM

May 2009
DaCraziGuy said:

How is getting more direct meaning from speech in one's own language related to being "slow"?

You know what's "slow"? You calling people "dumb" just because they disagree with you on their entertainment preferences.

DaCraziGuy said:
Some random dude trying to change the story to making it fit something that has been made in another language, with different semantic structures, timing and culture with a language is pretty much butchering the story. Even if the adaptation is made by a genius, it is almost lost cause... anyway, they aren't on the same level as a professional writer, director or scripter.
> Some random dude
Also, since when was it "some random dude"? These people have contractual obligations to the licensors.

> trying to change the story to making it fit something
> [from later in the post] Not sure what is you native language
If you're going to accuse me of being "slow" and "dumb", try cleaning up your own grammar first btw.

> trying to change the story to make it fit something that has been made in another language, with different semantic structures, timing and culture with a language is pretty much butchering the story.
You just described translation.

By this description, subs butcher the story, because they change the semantic structure (which actually breaks a lot of punchlines, initialisms, and more), they change the timing (which is particularly evident when whole clauses of sentences are switched around "spoiling" the end of a longer sentence in the subs), and they change the cultural context (unless they provide translator's notes on a bunch of things). They even cause problems when wordplay is used to hide information -- such as when a character's name sounds normal but is spelled unusually because they are hiding a secret (this is the case with a character in Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor, where the information stays properly hidden if you're watching the dub but is spoiled much earlier if you're watching the sub).

Oh, also, how is replacing hearing spoken text with reading written text not butchering the narrative experience? It's very different from what a native Japanese speaker would experience. Imagine if, instead of hearing people around you speak, you heard gibberish and then saw their words on paper. Is that the same to you? Sure, they can still get their point across, but the delivery is very different, and that vastly changes the timing of lines, for starters.

> anyway, they aren't on the same level as a professional writer, director or scripter.
Again, I don't even pay attention to the names, so I only know what results they make; their job descriptions and professional record doesn't even factor into my judgement of their effectiveness.

And I have found that they can and often are effective at what they do.

DaCraziGuy said:
Not sure what is you native language, but I hope you aren't talking about english dubs...
I am indeed talking about American English dubs. American English is my native language.

DaCraziGuy said:
If you like watching shows at it's worse, be my guess, but you should know that you are watching the lowest quality and potential of the show.
Many times, it's not worse for me, and in fact I'm getting way more out of the show, because the dub, thanks to being able to coordinate wording with tone of voice, brings out lots of details that simply the wording alone in text format can't bring out. For example, the homeroom teacher in Asterisk War was completely forgettable in the sub; the homeroom teacher in Asterisk War was entertaining in the dub. Similarly, in Four Rhythm's sub, the weight of Masaya's past experiences doesn't come across clearly in the sub, where he just feels kinda boring, but given his tone of voice in the dub, it's far clearer that they are an emotional burden to him.

If you prefer your anime subbed, I have no problem with that, and unlike you, I won't call you "dumb" just because I disagree with your preference. But as far as my personal opinion is concerned, I've found that dubs have a greater potential to bring a story to life.
Jun 12, 2019 10:20 PM

Mar 2009
I've just grown to distrust dubs since a lot of them censor things. since I mainly enjoy anime with gay themes, it's something I've learned to avoid.

But also, the english voice acting market always does these bland midwestern voices even for british characters and throws in like. the same 10 voice actors every time.

I like certain seiyuu a lot, and there's just a lot more talent on the japanese side of the industry. That's... quite clear. It's a competitive industry with lots of people.

That being said, I'm glad if english dubs are being made because it makes works more accessible. I just won't be listening to them.
Jun 13, 2019 7:57 AM

Jun 2010
Most of the anime on the internet are usually in their original language (Japanese, Chinese, etc, depending on which country they come from) with subtitles, which can be in English or any other languages. If they are on TV, it will usually be in the country's native language.

Besides the Japanese anime, I also watch those from China and Taiwan, and a few Korean ones since Korean animation has a smaller share in the market as compared to its neighour, Japan.

I would usually watch the anime in their original language mainly because I can understand them. Sometimes English may not expressed clearly when translating the original language, especially when it comes to idioms, and even proverbs. Many of the idioms and proverbs are expressed - spoken and written - in a few words or a short sentence, however when it is translated to English, the meaning may become distorted or loses its meaning. In Japanese and Chinese language, they are able to use two or more words to express something (eg. an object) or address someone (eg. a person), or illustrate a story (eg. history and origins). If these are to be translated to English, it may probably become one or two paragraphs.

In manga, very often you may notice that the translator puts a footnote at the end to explain the meaning. But it will not happen in anime. It is not because that the dubbed version is bad or the voice actor is no good, but it is because that certain meaning cannot be translated in such a way that would reach the equivalent of its original language. They can only translate it to as close as possible.

Another difficulty in English translation is that it is unable to capture the accent and slang as Japan and China have a lot of dialects spoken across their country. These are usually not captured in dubbing.

I have come across some other dubs, for example, in Indonesian and Vietnamese, which are mostly from DVD or TV. I think they aren't that bad, according to the people there.

I suppose Japanese and Chinese have a richer language in themselves, mainly due to their culture and history. Both subbed and dubbed have their own goodness. When an anime is dubbed, we can concentrate on the graphics while listening to a language that we understand. It reduces the multi-tasking of the eyes - trying to watch the show and at the same time reading the subtitles. I recalled once when I went to the cinema to watch a Thai movie; I don't understand Thai, and hence I had to read the subtitles while watching. Some of the scenes moved very fast, from one to the other, I probably had missed some of them while I was reading the subtitles or watched the scenes and missed part of the subtitles. If I'm at home watching a DVD, I can pause and rewind, and watch what I have missed. At the cinema, the screen is huge, I literally have to move my eyes left and right for the subtitles, and up and down to watch the show. hahah! So I fully understand why some people may prefer to watch a dubbed version rather than a subbed.

Now, what is the poll about? Is it asking for one's preference, the difference of the two or like and dislike?

For personal preference, I would watch in the original language. If there isn't any, I'm fine with dubbed version. Anyway, I watch Pokemon and Digimon in English and Doraemon in Chinese and Cantonese. They are actually very well dubbed. :)

Jun 13, 2019 8:14 AM
May 2019
There are few preferable subs. Honestly I think the fact that I can't understand Japanese entirely helps with me being unable to recognise bad voice acting.

It stands out like hell in dubs

Also dubs add some weird changes sometimes. Like in Dragonball Goku is just a guy who likes fighting stronger people for the most part but for some reason the dub turns him into a super hero with his Super Saiyan I am the light that protects against evil speech. With that said though, I do actually prefer the Z dub due to Bruce Falcouners music.

It can vary by show, I think if you originally watched the dub you're more inclined to prefer it over the sub.
gSolJun 13, 2019 8:18 AM
Jun 13, 2019 9:16 AM

Aug 2009
Zawarudo0079 said:
I don't want to be seen as an elitist but I've recently rewatched the first episodes of Fairy Tail in French, It was awful. Then I decided to change the language to Japanese and it was WAY BETTER.

First Point
Since i've been into the anime realm, i haven't seen any anime in Dub, not because I hate it but because i feel like watching in original language for any given show or movie is way better to understand the vision of the creators. For example in the Matrix movies, the french dubbed version changed the final words for one character which ruined the ending.
Why grown people keep watching in dub? Is it because they can't adapt to reading subtitles? Lazyness?

Second Point
Are US voice actors really good in anime? I know that most of the original American TV Cartoons are dubbed really well (Transformers Beast War, Justice League, ...) and way better than french dubs. But I feel like english dub sucks compare to original japanese voice actors, every time I see an english dub clip I cringe a lot, like a lot. Everything feels off ( Hello Persona 4 )
I've come to notice that some of the US voice actors are not professional actors in the first place.
Is it just me? Does Japanese voice actors seems good because it's another language? Does Anime dub fans have bad taste? Does the industry think of the US public as retards?
I just don't understand why there are so many dubs and fans for that.

Maybe because I'm only a foreigner outside of the US.

I would like to know your thoughts on the matter. I'm open to discussions

If you are not actually fluent in Japanese then how do you know for a fact the Japanese voice actors are better than the French voice actors? Because the Japanese voice actors might as well be speaking gibberish to you since you probably only a know a hand full of Japanese words?

The accuracy of the translations of the subbed and dubbed shows and movies all depend on how good the people doing the translations are.The ending of the french dubbed Matrix movie was the fault of the person translating it not the voice actors dubbing it. So the translations of dubbed shows can be just as good or bad as the subbed shows.

I think its more of ignorance is bliss when it comes to people claiming the Original language version is much better. Because most people who claim subs are better don't actually know any Japanese except for maybe a handful of words. So they only think the Japanese voice actors are better because they are not fluent in Japanese and don't any better. Its kind of like when Japanese people watching that anime character speak a few Engrish lines in a anime don't know its really bad English and probably think its good spoken English.
Jun 13, 2019 9:45 AM

Oct 2018
Since I started watching subs, I can't even tolerate dubs anymore.... Like, I have a rough time getting through cutscenes in videogames because of how bad english dubs are
Jun 13, 2019 11:02 AM
Nov 2018
I think dubbed anime is shit unless its ghost stories lmao
Jun 13, 2019 11:03 AM

Jun 2019
The main problem with dubbed anime is the fact that japanese hire top A level actors and Idols while dubs only have limited pool of actors to chose from.

This is why there are 12 actors that are in all dubs, which is the reason their voices don't often fit the characters they are playing unlike japanese version.

Also dubbing industry is cheap so even if main characters sound decent the side character usually sound awful, unlike japanese where most of the production cost
is spent on VAs.

Dubs are also guilty of westernizing anime(Boku No Pico Academia) and inserting jokes and political propaganda in places where they don't belong.

And there is the fact that seasonal anime pretty much killed dubs cause why wait for the dub to be released(if ever) when you can watch anime subbed instantly.

It doesn't help that recent Vic Mignogna controversy painted dubbing companies and various dubbing VAs(Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial) and others in a negative light either.

Jun 13, 2019 11:09 AM

Aug 2016
I'll watch the dub if it's close or better than the sub. Which doesn't seem that often.

Last dubs I've watched are DB: Super, Boku no hero Academia, and Monster.
Jun 13, 2019 3:40 PM

Aug 2018
obvious_troll said:
DaCraziGuy said:

5 -

1 - I just completly disagree
3 - It's not made up, it's a fact. You can't compare an amateur with someone that has worked a lot more in more challenging stuff... and that usually are more talented...
5 - ok???

My last dub was Code geass, and I got cancer from trying that.
Jun 13, 2019 3:49 PM

Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DaCraziGuy said:
How is getting more direct meaning from speech in one's own language related to being "slow"?

You know what's "slow"? You calling people "dumb" just because they disagree with you on their entertainment preferences.

DaCraziGuy said:
> Some random dude
Also, since when was it "some random dude"? These people have contractual obligations to the licensors.

> trying to change the story to making it fit something
> [from later in the post] Not sure what is you native language
If you're going to accuse me of being "slow" and "dumb", try cleaning up your own grammar first btw.

> trying to change the story to make it fit something that has been made in another language, with different semantic structures, timing and culture with a language is pretty much butchering the story.
You just described translation.

By this description, subs butcher the story, because they change the semantic structure (which actually breaks a lot of punchlines, initialisms, and more), they change the timing (which is particularly evident when whole clauses of sentences are switched around "spoiling" the end of a longer sentence in the subs), and they change the cultural context (unless they provide translator's notes on a bunch of things). They even cause problems when wordplay is used to hide information -- such as when a character's name sounds normal but is spelled unusually because they are hiding a secret (this is the case with a character in Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor, where the information stays properly hidden if you're watching the dub but is spoiled much earlier if you're watching the sub).

Oh, also, how is replacing hearing spoken text with reading written text not butchering the narrative experience? It's very different from what a native Japanese speaker would experience. Imagine if, instead of hearing people around you speak, you heard gibberish and then saw their words on paper. Is that the same to you? Sure, they can still get their point across, but the delivery is very different, and that vastly changes the timing of lines, for starters.

> anyway, they aren't on the same level as a professional writer, director or scripter.
Again, I don't even pay attention to the names, so I only know what results they make; their job descriptions and professional record doesn't even factor into my judgement of their effectiveness.

And I have found that they can and often are effective at what they do.

DaCraziGuy said:
I am indeed talking about American English dubs. American English is my native language.

DaCraziGuy said:
Many times, it's not worse for me, and in fact I'm getting way more out of the show, because the dub, thanks to being able to coordinate wording with tone of voice, brings out lots of details that simply the wording alone in text format can't bring out. For example, the homeroom teacher in Asterisk War was completely forgettable in the sub; the homeroom teacher in Asterisk War was entertaining in the dub. Similarly, in Four Rhythm's sub, the weight of Masaya's past experiences doesn't come across clearly in the sub, where he just feels kinda boring, but given his tone of voice in the dub, it's far clearer that they are an emotional burden to him.

If you prefer your anime subbed, I have no problem with that, and unlike you, I won't call you "dumb" just because I disagree with your preference. But as far as my personal opinion is concerned, I've found that dubs have a greater potential to bring a story to life.
Hey, what can I say... if you prefer a cringy and over the top voice acting that almost never fit the characters, with a butchered script because you can't read well so you can't feel anything from the story, be my guess.

And yes, a dude that just do some dubs is a random guy. That is why there is a lot more prestige and the names are more important when you are an actual actor, because what you do really matters. A dub that sucks doesn't have an impact on anything... neither a good dub.

Keep enjoying you lower quality entertainment !!! I know I won't.
Jun 13, 2019 4:05 PM

May 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
obvious_troll said:

1 - I just completly disagree
3 - It's not made up, it's a fact. You can't compare an amateur with someone that has worked a lot more in more challenging stuff... and that usually are more talented...
5 - ok???

My last dub was Code geass, and I got cancer from trying that.

1. Disagree with what? Ok name a bad dub that is less than 5 year old.
2. Steve blum, Vic Mignogna, Johnny Yong Bosch, Crispin Freeman, Christopher Sabat, Sean Schemmel, Matthew Christopher Miller, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Eric Vale, Brad Swaile, Alessandro Juliani, Laura Bailey, Matthew Mercer, Aaron Dismuke, Chris Patton, Laura Bailey etc. Name one voice actor who you think is amateur and did really poor job at voice acting "Insert character name"
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 13, 2019 4:11 PM

Feb 2016
depends what I'm watching but I generally watch subs. If I re-watch, it'll be the opposite of what I watched initially, unless it's dragon ball. I can only do dubs for that.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 13, 2019 4:19 PM
Dec 2016
i personally can’t stand dubbed anime. i feel like it’s not that the english voice actors are bad. take yuri lowenthal, he’s an amazing voice actor. his role as peter parker in spider-man ps4 was phenomenal, but with the many anime characters he’s voiced, including sasuke (naruto) and simon (gurren lagann), i still can’t get behind it. english dub just feels....off, i guess, no matter how talented the VA is.
Jun 13, 2019 4:19 PM

May 2019
Let me summarize what @DaCraziGuy has been saying
1. If you watch dub you are either a child or dumb.
2. All dubs are done by random people without no company support that trains them and have no fucking clue how dubbing is done.
3. English dub when change meaning always ruin things. Even if word to word translation doesn't make sense. The must do work to word translations every time. If a meaning is change that means we are disrespecting a culture even if the anime is based on american culture. We should definitely not touch it.
4. Dub voice actors are have nothing to do with acting. Dubbing companies pick random guys from street and force them to read a script on gun point. None of the actors actually have a resume.
5. I know the DUBS ARE DEFINITELY NOT IMPROVING BECAUSE THE LATEST DUB I WATCHED WAS CODE GEASSS(From 2006). Ever since I haven't actually watched a dub because the suck and I know what is the quality of dub now a days.
6. I am way up in ass to double check or cites something that actually proves that fact that 2.5% of all anime dubs are watchable and the the rest are utter garbage that will make your ears bleed.

and don't dare anyone challenge me because he can retype all the stuff that he wrote earlier with all upper-case.

Imagine what dub actors and script writers think when they are about to dub a show.

Inner monologue starts
Oh I am gonna disrespect this culture as much as I can even though I am only translating it making sure sure that the translated text match with the mouth flaps.
In a scene a guy smashes a bowling pin in other dudes head. The literal translation was "It's is strike" I have change it to "Fuck You". The creators intended it to be something else but I changed it. Yes! Disrespecting culture FTW!
Inner monologue ends
obvious_trollJun 13, 2019 4:37 PM
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 13, 2019 5:00 PM

May 2009
DaCraziGuy said:
Hey, what can I say... if you prefer a cringy
Well I don't find it cringy...
DaCraziGuy said:
and over the top voice acting that almost never fit the characters
I'm surprised you describe dubs as over-the-top because the usual complaint is that dubs aren't expressive enough, and meanwhile I've personally found that, particularly with comedy, the Japanese presentation is more likely to be over-the-top with exaggeration.

DaCraziGuy said:
with a butchered script because you can't read well so you can't feel anything from the story, be my guess.
I'll leave the determination of "butcheredness" to the individual audience member. But for some reason you still have to insist that I "can't read well"...which is ironic since I even prefer light novels over manga.

(Also, it's "guest".)

DaCraziGuy said:
And yes, a dude that just do some dubs is a random guy. That is why there is a lot more prestige and the names are more important when you are an actual actor, because what you do really matters. A dub that sucks doesn't have an impact on anything... neither a good dub.
Why do the names matter at all? Either they do an effective job or they don't. It's not like I make a determination of who worked on a show before I watch it. Do you? "Oh, John Smith worked on this, therefore it's good"?

DaCraziGuy said:
Well, if you say so.
Jun 13, 2019 5:02 PM

Aug 2018
obvious_troll said:
2. All dubs are done by random people without no company support that trains them and have no fucking clue how dubbing is done.
3. English dub when change meaning always ruin things. Even if word to word translation doesn't make sense. The must do work to word translations every time. If a meaning is change that means we are disrespecting a culture even if the anime is based on american culture. We should definitely not touch it.
4. Dub voice actors are have nothing to do with acting. Dubbing companies pick random guys from street and force them to read a script on gun point. None of the actors actually have a resume.
5. I know the DUBS ARE DEFINITELY NOT IMPROVING BECAUSE THE LATEST DUB I WATCHED WAS CODE GEASSS(From 2006). Ever since I haven't actually watched a dub because the suck and I know what is the quality of dub now a days.
6. I am way up in ass to double check or cites something that actually proves that fact that 2.5% of all anime dubs are watchable and the the rest are utter garbage that will make your ears bleed.

and don't dare anyone challenge me because he can retype all the stuff that he wrote earlier with all upper-case.

Imagine what dub actors and script writers think when they are about to dub a show.

Inner monologue starts
Oh I am gonna disrespect this culture as much as I can even though I am only translating it making sure sure that the translated text match with the mouth flaps.
In a scene a guy smashes a bowling pin in other dudes head. The literal translation was "It's is strike" I have change it to "Fuck You". The creators intended it to be something else but I changed it. Yes! Disrespecting culture FTW!
Inner monologue ends

1 - You missed 2, 3 and 4... don't try to act cool when you are just straight lying...
2 - I have no fking idea when I mentioned companies... why are you talking about that? Also, every person has a name, naming some random dubbers doesn't help.
3 - You can't translate word by word anything, I said that subs have a lot less restriction and they are a lot more closer to the original than the dubbed (besides that you hear the original)
4 - No, they aren't actually random, but they can't compare to real actors... except very few exceptions.
5 - By code geass I meant the movie, or the trailer... Kakegurui is also awful btw, and that wasn't just a trailer.
6 - I said aprox, lol.

Sorry, I already said a lot of why I think like that... you just saying "you are wrong" or "they don't change the script" even though they clearly do makes it impossible to have even a conversation...

I have to say, it was fun to see your little rant, lol.
Jun 13, 2019 6:40 PM

May 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
obvious_troll said:

Inner monologue starts
Inner monologue ends

1 - You missed 2, 3 and 4... don't try to act cool when you are just straight lying...
2 - I have no fking idea when I mentioned companies... why are you talking about that? Also, every person has a name, naming some random dubbers doesn't help.
3 - You can't translate word by word anything, I said that subs have a lot less restriction and they are a lot more closer to the original than the dubbed (besides that you hear the original)
4 - No, they aren't actually random, but they can't compare to real actors... except very few exceptions.
5 - By code geass I meant the movie, or the trailer... Kakegurui is also awful btw, and that wasn't just a trailer.
6 - I said aprox, lol.

Sorry, I already said a lot of why I think like that... you just saying "you are wrong" or "they don't change the script" even though they clearly do makes it impossible to have even a conversation...

Oh boy. This is gonna be fun. Let me refresh your memory because I don't think yours is that good.

Reason for point number 1:
DaCraziGuy said:
1 - The subbed version has a much worse video quality. (Simuldub/subs have the same quality If you are talking about blue ray. They come pretty late. Also, I watch anime on crunchy-roll)
2 - You are still a kid. <- There you go
3 - You are pretty blind. <- Disrespecting people who read slow
4 - You don't know how to read well. <- Disrespecting people who read slow
5 - You are dumb. <- Dub watchers are dumb

On this, I replied with this
obvious_troll said:

2.5%? Unless you are living in 80s. I don't know where you came up with that statistic. I would say almost all shonen/action anime has good dub.The only place where it usually lags is slice of life which is also improving day by day.

After that you went on about how dubs are not improving

Point 2: The issue isn't that you mentioned companies. The issue is that you didn't
DaCraziGuy said:

Dubbing companies actually do have directors, scriptwriters and writers. Watch DBZ dub and then watch DBZ Kai dub. Funimation butchered the DBZ dub and changed the meaning altogether. It is thanks to them people think that Goku is a hero even though Toriyama didn't like it at all but the same company improved and when they did DBZ kai. It was way better than DBZ original.

Point 3: If I can understand original I would be watching raw not subs.

Point 4:
Choose one. Dubbing companies have 5 voice actors that they keep reusing or dubbing companies hire new staff that has little to no experience in acting. I hate to be that guy but no!. All good dub actors I know have some acting background. Even if they don't they most likely have done voice acting in video games.
DaCraziGuy said:

Basically, if you don't care about meaning, words, emotions and enjoying different languages it's because you are actually dumb, sorry to say it like that. You'll never achive the same with third rate people (regarding the job, not the person itself) even if you don't care about the content, simple as that.
Still, there are some good "dubbers", but they are really a minority and it varies in different countries the quality of those.

Point 5: Wasn't clear from what you said. To me Code Geass = 2007 anime version. I haven't watched Netflix dubs. Actually, I haven't watched Kakeguri either. No comments.
DaCraziGuy said:

My last dub was Code Geass, and I got cancer from trying that.

Point 6: My argument is that your approx percentage has no basis do not advocate as if you actually sat down compared each dub with sub and did math to come up with that number. Where the hell did you come with that number anyways? If I say approx 80% of dubs are good. Adding approx doesn't justify the number I came up with. I am saying that you are wrong about the percentage (The only thing you got right). Please quote me where I said "They don't change the script"

Good. I am having fun too.
obvious_trollJun 13, 2019 6:48 PM
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 13, 2019 6:48 PM
Mar 2018
Any sub vs dub debate comes down to one thing; it's subjective, it's just a question of preference rather than something being subjectively better.

I'm from the UK and English first language, I don't really have a second language.
I do often watch dubs, if I've heard a series is getting a dub for Netflix I wait till they have it (often when Netflix snatches it up it becomes unavailable anywhere else and reaches the UK last often enough) but other seasonal anime like OPM and other stuff that gets to CR or Amazon first I'll happily watch subbed.

if I really enjoy it I'd get the home release which by then often has a dub, oh and I don't read particularly quickly, I'd rather appreciate the style, action and dynamic scenes than read at a snail's pace and risk missing something, I think it's a bit invalid to call a preference for dubs lazy

One good point though is the voice acting itself, sometimes in another language it's hard to tell if a character is ment to have a certain dialect, some of the impact the VA is putting in is lost so those who are localising content will create a new dialect for the character that is much more familiar in their language, like a character with an osaka dialect won't really come through like that of someone hasn't been to Japan, but virtually everyone can hear a texan dialect clearly.

There are times though where you can hear the Japanese VA have a reaction or speech that clearly has more effort and more "fit" for the role than an english/localised VA, often times the VAs don't see anything from the series, some in Japan might have seen the manga but when it gets elsewhere where manga is a little less popular the VAs pretty much have no idea what their doing, they've gotten better despite that though.

the time when dubs were truly bad wasn't even 10 years ago, it was the early 90's/80's when anime had some trend of having a popular western movement, you could tell that they were just lazily reading from a script with no interest in the character
Jun 13, 2019 7:00 PM

May 2019
KindUnicorn said:

Also dubbing industry is cheap so even if main characters sound decent the side character usually sound awful, unlike japanese where most of the production cost
is spent on VAs.

Fair enough. Most of the problem I had with dubs are from supporting cast. They do tend to skimp.

KindUnicorn said:

And there is the fact that seasonal anime pretty much killed dubs cause why wait for the dub to be released(if ever) when you can watch anime subbed instantly.

Seasonal anime pretty much killed dubs. Agree. I have started watching subs because of this. I can't imagine being dub only and waiting months for seasonal anime when it has become irrelevant. Dubbing companies need to hire more staff. But I guess they are greedy just like any other corporation. All they care about is money.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 13, 2019 7:26 PM

May 2009
Captiaanuniverse said:
I'm from the UK and English first language, I don't really have a second language.
I do often watch dubs,
Just curious, to what extent does it bother you that most English dubs are American English dubs?

(And what about those times when they use British accents?)
Jun 13, 2019 8:02 PM

May 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Captiaanuniverse said:
I do often watch dubs,
Just curious, to what extent does it bother you that most English dubs are American English dubs?

I am curious as well. I think Hellsing Ultimate dub was pretty cool.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 13, 2019 8:10 PM

Aug 2018
obvious_troll said:
DaCraziGuy said:

6 - I said aprox, lol.

Oh boy. This is gonna be fun. Let me refresh your memory because I don't think yours is that good.

DaCraziGuy said:
1 - The subbed version has a much worse video quality. (Simuldub/subs have the same quality If you are talking about blue ray. They come pretty late. Also, I watch anime on crunchy-roll)
2 - You are still a kid. <- There you go
3 - You are pretty blind. <- Disrespecting people who read slow
4 - You don't know how to read well. <- Disrespecting people who read slow
5 - You are dumb. <- Dub watchers are dumb

obvious_troll said:

2.5%? Unless you are living in 80s. I don't know where you came up with that statistic. I would say almost all shonen/action anime has good dub.The only place where it usually lags is slice of life which is also improving day by day.

Point 2: The issue isn't that you mentioned companies. The issue is that you didn't
DaCraziGuy said:

Dubbing companies actually do have directors, scriptwriters and writers. Watch DBZ dub and then watch DBZ Kai dub. Funimation butchered the DBZ dub and changed the meaning altogether. It is thanks to them people think that Goku is a hero even though Toriyama didn't like it at all but the same company improved and when they did DBZ kai. It was way better than DBZ original.

Point 4:
Choose one. Dubbing companies have 5 voice actors that they keep reusing or dubbing companies hire new staff that has little to no experience in acting. I hate to be that guy but no!. All good dub actors I know have some acting background. Even if they don't they most likely have done voice acting in video games.
DaCraziGuy said:

Point 5: Wasn't clear from what you said. To me Code Geass = 2007 anime version. I haven't watched Netflix dubs. Actually, I haven't watched Kakeguri either. No comments.
DaCraziGuy said:

My last dub was Code Geass, and I got cancer from trying that.

Point 6: My argument is that your approx percentage has no basis do not advocate as if you actually sat down compared each dub with sub and did math to come up with that number. Where the hell did you come with that number anyways? If I say approx 80% of dubs are good. Adding approx doesn't justify the number I came up with. I am saying that you are wrong about the percentage (The only thing you got right). Please quote me where I said "They don't change the script"

First, when I said "you are blind", I actually meant that... or that you have bad eyesight...

Second, saying a fact is not disrespecting, there are a lot of people that can't well... even some adults have that problem.

You shouldn't get so biased because you disagree, try to read the words, don't make up stuff like that. That's not funny...

Third, the % was kinda a joke, I haven't compared every show that exists, but I have compared shows for more than 20 years and I can count with my hand the dubs that are better than the original.

Fourth, "some acting background" is no the same as an actual actor. You can't compare a hollywood actor with one of those "with some acting background"... you don't get world wide renown easily. Who the fuck knows your dubbers? Some gamers, nerds and otakus from USA and no one else.

Jun 13, 2019 8:12 PM

May 2009
> don't make up stuff like that. That's not funny...

> the % was kinda a joke, I haven't compared every show that exists
Jun 13, 2019 8:20 PM

Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DaCraziGuy said:
Hey, what can I say... if you prefer a cringy
Well I don't find it cringy...
DaCraziGuy said:
and over the top voice acting that almost never fit the characters
I'm surprised you describe dubs as over-the-top because the usual complaint is that dubs aren't expressive enough, and meanwhile I've personally found that, particularly with comedy, the Japanese presentation is more likely to be over-the-top with exaggeration.

DaCraziGuy said:
with a butchered script because you can't read well so you can't feel anything from the story, be my guess.
I'll leave the determination of "butcheredness" to the individual audience member. But for some reason you still have to insist that I "can't read well"...which is ironic since I even prefer light novels over manga.

(Also, it's "guest".)

DaCraziGuy said:
Why do the names matter at all? Either they do an effective job or they don't. It's not like I make a determination of who worked on a show before I watch it. Do you? "Oh, John Smith worked on this, therefore it's good"?

DaCraziGuy said:
Well, if you say so.
Japanese comedy is really over the top... but in most dubs, the serious moments are over the top with overdramatic bs.

And I agree, if you don't feel too much "butcherness" in the script you could enjoy it... that is where the "dumb" part comes in. If you never cared about the plot, meaning nor dialogs of course you won't mind some of that "cheap stuff".

And yes, I say "uff, if John smith is there I bet that this might be good"... that is why there are people that are regarded as "the best", because they usually make good stuff.
Jun 13, 2019 8:23 PM

May 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
> don't make up stuff like that. That's not funny...

> the % was kinda a joke, I haven't compared every show that exists

LMAO so true. That's how mafia works I guess.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 13, 2019 8:23 PM

May 2009
DaCraziGuy said:
Japanese comedy is really over the top... but in most dubs, the serious moments are over the top with overdramatic bs.
That hasn't been my experience, but perhaps we've watched different dubs.

DaCraziGuy said:
And I agree, if you don't feel too much "butcherness" in the script you could enjoy it... that is where the "dumb" part comes in. If you never cared about the plot, meaning nor dialogs of course you won't mind some of that "cheap stuff".
But I do get a good plot, with lots of meaningful lines and dialogue.

DaCraziGuy said:
And yes, I say "uff, if John smith is there I bet that this might be good"... that is why there are people that are regarded as "the best", because they usually make good stuff.
Well I guess we'll have to disagree on this (as well as other things); I prefer to let a work stand by itself, without knowing who worked on it beforehand. That way I can more clearly tell who has done an effective work, because I won't have biased expectations.
Jun 13, 2019 8:27 PM

Apr 2015
English dubs have been pretty solid for the past decade or so. With the rise of simuldubs, it's a viable way to watch shows.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 13, 2019 8:37 PM

May 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
obvious_troll said:

Point 4:

First, when I said "you are blind", I actually meant that... or that you have bad eyesight...

Second, saying a fact is not disrespecting, there are a lot of people that can't well... even some adults have that problem.

You shouldn't get so biased because you disagree, try to read the words, don't make up stuff like that. That's not funny...

Third, the % was kinda a joke, I haven't compared every show that exists, but I have compared shows for more than 20 years and I can count with my hand the dubs that are better than the original.

Fourth, "some acting background" is no the same as an actual actor. You can't compare a hollywood actor with one of those "with some acting background"... you don't get world wide renown easily. Who the fuck knows your dubbers? Some gamers, nerds and otakus from USA and no one else.

You choice of words wasn't the best. "You are pretty blind" (Please quote yourself right. You are more shabby than the cringy dubs you talk about) vs "Maybe you have trouble reading subtitles". The first one comes of harsh. Also this is MAL. People say that to each other all the time in negative connotation. You are here longer than me you should know it better.

Dubbing companies will never hire Hollywood actors. The will straight up ask for way too much money. Also you can be a good voice actor without being an actor. It takes a lot of practice.

Steve Blum is one of my favorite dub actor
His works
Some of his major roles in anime include Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop, Mugen in Samurai Champloo, Eikichi Onizuka in Great Teacher Onizuka, Guilmon and Mitsuo Yamaki in Digimon Tamers, Shishio Makoto in Rurouni Kenshin and Orochimaru and Zabuza Momochi in Naruto. In animation, he has voiced Vilgax, Heatblast and Ghostfreak in Ben 10, Starscream in Transformers: Prime, Wolverine in Wolverine and the X-Men, Zeb Orrelios in Star Wars Rebels and Amon in The Legend of Korra. He was also awarded the Guinness World Record for being the most prolific video game voice actor in 2012, with roles in franchises such as Call of Duty, God of War, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Naruto, Transformers and X-Men. In 2014, he voiced Shoe and Sparky in the animated film The Boxtrolls. In 2015, he appeared in The Incredible True Story, a rap album by Logic

Vic Mignogna is also my favorite.

his voice-over work in the English dubs of Japanese anime shows, the most notable being Edward Elric from the Fullmetal Alchemist series, for which he earned the American Anime Award for Best Actor in 2007. Other notable animation roles include Broly from the Dragon Ball films, Tamaki Suoh in Ouran High School Host Club, Fai D. Flowright in Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, Dark in D.N.Angel, Kurz Weber in the Full Metal Panic! series, Zero and Ichiru Kiryu in the Vampire Knight series, Christopher Aonuma in Digimon Fusion, Nagato and Obito Uchiha in Naruto Shippuden, Ikkaku Madarame in Bleach, Qrow Branwen in RWBY, and Matt Ishida in Digimon Adventure tri. In video games, he is the voice of E-123 Omega in the Sonic the Hedgehog series and Junpei Iori from Persona 3. In live-action work, he has participated in several Star Trek fan productions, including Star Trek Continues where he plays Captain James T. Kirk.

Neither of them have a lot of experience in acting but both are really good voice actors.
obvious_trollJun 13, 2019 8:46 PM
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 13, 2019 8:38 PM

Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DaCraziGuy said:
That hasn't been my experience, but perhaps we've watched different dubs.

DaCraziGuy said:
But I do get a good plot, with lots of meaningful lines and dialogue.

DaCraziGuy said:
Well I guess we'll have to disagree on this (as well as other things); I prefer to let a work stand by itself, without knowing who worked on it beforehand. That way I can more clearly tell who has done an effective work, because I won't have biased expectations.
I bet you never watched something dubbed in another language than english, I did, and I always made the same conclussion.

Yes, you can get good stuff... not as good as the original of course.

You always have a biased opinion on something, the art, the genre, the country where it is from or just the tittle are already things that prepare yourself for something, and there are lot more things than that.

Btw, despite saying that you always are biased, it doesn't mean that you are right or wrong.
Jun 13, 2019 8:39 PM

May 2019
CatSoul said:
English dubs have been pretty solid for the past decade or so. With the rise of simuldubs, it's a viable way to watch shows.

They still lag a lot. If you want to be in forums discussions. You have to watch subs.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 13, 2019 8:47 PM

May 2009
DaCraziGuy said:
I bet you never watched something dubbed in another language than english, I did, and I always made the same conclussion.
Short things, yes, longer things no, though I am planning on watching Aria the Animation with the Italian dub, and I've considered watching Scrapped Princess in German. Regardless, the main reason for me to watch a dub is to get it in my own native language, so watching a non-English dub defeats its own purpose.

DaCraziGuy said:
I can't get the original experience anyway; I can't watch it like a Japanese person would watch it. So instead my goal is to get a cohesive storytelling experience that I can enjoy. Besides, originalism would matter more if I were studying anime as a scholar -- but I'm not, I'm just seeking personal entertainment.
Jun 13, 2019 9:00 PM

Feb 2011
Wikipedia said:
Dyslexia is the most common learning disability and occurs in all areas of the world. It affects 3–7% of the population, however, up to 20% may have some degree of symptoms.

Poll said:
Dubbed Animes 19.37%

That's a rather funny coincidence.
Jun 13, 2019 9:02 PM

Jan 2017
It's good when it's good mate. Nothing more, nothing less.
Jun 13, 2019 9:05 PM

Jul 2017
Preferred: BOTH
I watch animes subbed and dubbed.
It's more enjoyable to like both languages.

i grew up with english dubbed anime shows (e.g. Magical Doremi, Digimon, Tokyo Mew Mew, Bakugan, Spider Riders, etc.)
Jun 13, 2019 9:13 PM
Jun 2019
I've usually always preferred dub over sub just because it's just easier on the eyes for me. It lets me to take in the animation more rather than when I watch sub due to focusing on the text. That's probably just a me thing, but it just makes it a lot easier for me.

I usually only watch subs if there isn't a dub. However, I did watch season 1 of "My Hero Academia" (I thought I clicked dub, but I didn't. Just decided not to change it since when I noticed, I was halfway through the season lol) in sub, but switched over to dub. I thought both were pretty good, overall.
Jun 13, 2019 9:38 PM

Dec 2010
KindUnicorn said:
The main problem with dubbed anime is the fact that japanese hire top A level actors and Idols while dubs only have limited pool of actors to chose from.

This is why there are 12 actors that are in all dubs, which is the reason their voices don't often fit the characters they are playing unlike japanese version.

is spent on VAs.

Dubs are also guilty of westernizing anime(Boku No Pico Academia) and inserting jokes and political propaganda in places where they don't belong.

It doesn't help that recent Vic Mignogna controversy painted dubbing companies and various dubbing VAs(Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial) and others in a negative light either.

This is my reason I use to watch both but after the whole Vic thing I can seem to get over their horrible behavior,they act all pretentious it sad you know so I really don't want to here their voice in my shows and to make matters worst they try to contaminate anime with their SJW stuff please keep the woke shit out of anime I swear these people try to infiltrate into everything,and to those who say stuff like subs is not 100% accurate or you need to know Japanese in order to clam that the subs is accurate well I for once know that it may not be 100% accurate that will be impossible but I rather the maybe 80% of in accuracy in subs translation over the 60% of the accuracy dubs translation.

Jun 13, 2019 9:40 PM
Mar 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Captiaanuniverse said:
I do often watch dubs,

There are Canadian and Australian dubs done too, but I can't remember the last time someone British actually did something like anime, some big actors like Bryan Cranston dubbed cartoons and anime before, some British ones too, but they often only do that now of it'll end up in cinema.

sentai and Funi, the two biggest localisers I know of often contract the same group of VAs and a lot of them aren't known well outside the dubs they do

I'm Welsh, but the British accent thing that mainly aims for either a northern or southern English dialect grates me, when the VAs want to stress that a character is as familiar with the English language as some middle class boarding school graduate it sounds so overdone
Jun 14, 2019 8:24 AM
May 2019
[quote=Zawarudo0079 message=57791914]
Imreallybored1 said:
Zawarudo0079 said:

If you've read my post correctly. I want to know what's beyond this kind of stupid answer; that why i made a forum topic on it. In my friend and family group circle, nobody watch dubs. I don't have any kind of clue regarding that subject, so next time stop being such an arrogant ignorant f.[/quot

There is no other answer.
This forum is pointless.

Do you even know the meaning of Beyond ?

if you can’t find anything “beyond” then how would anyone else find anything “ “beyond”
There’s clearly no other answer.
People are hyped for dubs because, they don’t like subbed anime.
And then they can watch it the way they like it.
Are you 10 or something, you have no fucking brain.
Jun 14, 2019 8:31 AM

Dec 2015
My anime journey started with Dubbed shows only.

10 years later, I'm having a hard time watching shows that funanimation have something to do with.
The voice-actors they use can't give a soul to the characters as the japanes voice-actors can.

I woud say I hate how bad they are, in my eyes it's quantity over quality when it comes to that company.

Ofc, it exist good dub out there, but it's rare to find a show that's get good dubbed if it's getting released now.

Most of the older shows got the best dubbed.

And when a show is so f*cking bad it becomes a meme something is wrong with the voice-actors + the one that write the scrips.

Jun 14, 2019 5:46 PM

Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
DaCraziGuy said:
Short things, yes, longer things no, though I am planning on watching Aria the Animation with the Italian dub, and I've considered watching Scrapped Princess in German. Regardless, the main reason for me to watch a dub is to get it in my own native language, so watching a non-English dub defeats its own purpose.

DaCraziGuy said:
I can't get the original experience anyway; I can't watch it like a Japanese person would watch it. So instead my goal is to get a cohesive storytelling experience that I can enjoy. Besides, originalism would matter more if I were studying anime as a scholar -- but I'm not, I'm just seeking personal entertainment.
I can understand perfectly english despite not being a native speaker... I do have some issues writting and talking.

Also, watching things in another language is actually a good way of learning a language. My native language is spanish, and I watch animes in japanese subbed in english... and I never had a fking issue understanding the plot nor trouble feeling empathy. Saying that dub is more "cohesive" makes no sense, it's really rare to find a sub that has no cohesion.

And if you are wondering why I watch animes with english dubs is because of 4 things:

1 - The pages are better.
2 - There is a lot more shows translated.
3 - The videos tend to have better quality.
4 - The subs actually are actually bad and they are full of mistakes that I can't overlook because I know enough of Japanese to tell them.

Again, you can enjoy dubs, but you are watching the worse stuff...
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

59 by FrusDiplo »»
1 minute ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

56 by cyandaqil »»
5 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 9 minutes ago

1 by Daviljoe193 »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 2 hours ago

16 by Firwik_Howlo »»
9 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

19 by Blowingbeauty »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.