Forum Settings
Forums

After watching a acclaimed sad anime what did you do next?

New
Jun 10, 2019 7:59 AM

Feb 2019
After finishing Your Lie in April at around 4am I just sat in my bed contemplating the story until I had a epiphany, which blew my mind, about the meaning of the title.
Jun 10, 2019 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
After I watched Violet Evergarden, I was just thinking how amazing the art was, yet generic the drama was.
Jun 10, 2019 8:02 AM
Apr 2018
Doing nothing, not watching anything for a long time.
Jun 10, 2019 8:05 AM

Dec 2015
The only thing that have fucked me as Your Lie in April did with you was, Henshin.

I even had problem sleeping that night, beacuse I had huge problem do understand what in hell I had just been reading.

Well in my case, I don't really feel that way anymore, might be beacuse I have watched that huge amount of shows. Who knows?

But I do love Shoujo Ai + Slice of life or only a good Comedy + Slice of life show, it always makes me smile and feel good inside.

Find something that works the same for you.

Btw, try to watch White Album 2 or Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan and you will soon become what we call EMO's x)

Jun 10, 2019 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
Cried the whole night (Koe no Katachi). Then recommended it to my sister who watched it the next day and then cried the whole night.
Jun 10, 2019 8:11 AM
May 2018
Downloaded it and watched all the sad parts again. After passing 6 months or so i watched it again. Just cant leave animes like Plastic memories, World end, Elfen lied, violet evergarden and the one u watched
Jun 10, 2019 8:11 AM

Sep 2018
Angel Beats! was my first "sad" anime, and it left a huge hole in my heart after it ended, but I moved on after an hour or two.
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Jun 10, 2019 8:15 AM

Mar 2012
fitemeillreku said:
Angel Beats! was my first "sad" anime, and it left a huge hole in my heart after it ended, but I moved on after an hour or two.

I truly don't understand when Angel Beats is sad.
After Shigatsu I was sad but I do nothing special other than being sad. :'(
Jun 10, 2019 8:19 AM

Jun 2016
Whenever I watch a sad anime I typically watch what i call a healing anime either later that day or the next day. Things like Yuru camp or konasuba. Basically anything that can make me smile because damn anime fucks me up when its sad.
Jun 10, 2019 8:23 AM

Jan 2019
Strangely, I didn’t cry at all while I was actually watching Your Lie in April. It wasn’t until I had finished it that I started crying and I cried myself to sleep that night and kept randomly crying the entire week afterwards. I remember just balling my eyes out while listening to the ending theme song! XD Without a doubt, Your Lie in April is the most moving thing I have ever watched; I still tear up thinking about it to this day! :)

The same thing happened for me with the Mother’s Rosario arc in SAO, only I was crying for like two or three days instead of a week. Hehe

I think the anime I’ve cried the most while watching was Tsukigakirei, not sure why though because it’s not really sad. I guess I just had tears of joy... or I was madly jealous that a guy found a perfect girlfriend in middle school when I’ve never had a girlfriend! Lol
Jun 10, 2019 3:25 PM

May 2014
Watch more anime, play games. Do what i usually do really. I don't think anything has upset me to the point where i can't function for a few days.
Jun 10, 2019 4:11 PM
Feb 2014
I wanted to strangle the characters because they were sooo fucking stupid/annoying, yes, i'm talking about Angel Beats and 5 Centimeters Per Second!

I have watched much better sad anime that were not "acclaimed" thank you very much!

Such as Full Moon wo Sagashite which often get's overlooked in favor of these shitty so called "tearjerker" anime, that could only evoke tears of frustration if any, because you have to put up with their shit!

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jun 10, 2019 4:16 PM
Jul 2018
I get disappointed and try to watch something good after. Or I take a break. Nothing is worse than an anime trying to be sad and failing. Unbearable.
Jun 10, 2019 4:25 PM

Sep 2014
after I watched shitgatsu I felt disgusted, and mad that I wasted my time. if I'm not mixing up the time, I think I went and watched Cross Ange afterwards and had a fucking awesome time

it's been since then that I knew to screw reviews and MAL average scores
Jun 10, 2019 4:28 PM

Aug 2018
Appreciate life...too short to expend it being sad...
Enjoy the ride...
Jun 10, 2019 4:36 PM

Aug 2016
Usually the acclaimed sad anime aren't sad for me. With that said, regardless, I continue watching the next anime. Pretty simple stuff.
Jun 10, 2019 7:01 PM

Jul 2016
I watched Your Lie in April a few years ago and I cried for half an hour.
But if I watched it again right now, I probably wouldn't cry at all.

I heard from a friend that Steins;Gate was sad, and I agree, and ended up shedding a few tears for a few minutes.
But if I watched it a few years ago, I think I would've cried for an hour.

As for Violet Evergarden, I got so bored of it I almost dropped it. I felt like it was trying to create emotion that really didn't exist at all.

I guess it goes to show that people grow up.
Jun 10, 2019 7:07 PM

Jun 2012
The only thing that makes me cry is mangaka taking long ass hiatuses because of health issues. Still waiting for a new volume of Ballroom. As for what I do after I get hit in the feels, nothing really? Watch/read something new.

And to be clear, these tragic stories by design don't get to me. I don't find myself feeling anything from them because they seem to be pretty obvious in development. It's the little things that get to me on an emotional level. A character's history of strife, trials and tribulations being a clear yet subtle indicator for their current behaviour will punch me in the gut much harder than deaths meant to propel the growth of other characters.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 10, 2019 7:23 PM

Feb 2018
I remember about a year and a half ago when I first really got into anime, Toradora and Sakurasou were the first anime that truly moved me and one of the few to make me feel like there was a gaping hole in my soul. I was rather down for almost a week until I discovered a nifty hilarious picker-upper by the name of KonoSuba.

More recently, I watched Clannad, and oh boy did that mess me up. Thankfully, I’ve wisened up after 18 months and immediately hopped into Nichijou and that helped me get over my sadness tenfold.

So in short, just watch something upbeat and/or happy. Watch something like D-Frag, Gabriel Dropout, K-On... season 1... cause season 2 will probably make you sad asf.... erm- Baka & Test, Grand Blue, or either of the two I mentioned above.

Do-do-donuts, let’s go nuts!
Jun 10, 2019 7:29 PM

Dec 2012
Think it sucked, regret watching it, wonder why people think it's actually good, and be annoyed with myself for all the time I just wasted while muttering obscenities usually. Although, there is also a small 10% chance I'll think that it fit and like the show but this would only happen under very specific conditions.
KruszerJun 10, 2019 8:30 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 10, 2019 7:35 PM
Jan 2018
Think that it was predictable garbage most of the time.

In rare occasions, like Grave of The Fireflies, I say "eh, it was fine".

And extremely rare cases, like 3-gatsu no lion (does it count?), I actually can't sit through for a long time, despite me liking it a lot.
Jun 10, 2019 7:35 PM

Aug 2018
The first sad anime that I saw was Clannad/Clannad: After Story, the last chapters I was drowning in tears hahaha by the time I finished watching it I did not have a tear anymore to continue forming a lake
What did I do next? I saw Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso almost immediately xD although I did not feel sad, the end if it broke my heart (Kaori was not a character that I liked very much and the end changed a lot what I thought about the character) and I remember that I saw the final scene couple of times more non-stop crying hahahah
Jun 10, 2019 7:39 PM

Feb 2019
@TodAboT I will agree that it will be predictable as more and more information gets spread about the anime. So before you watch it you already know that it will be sad. However, for people who watch it first the sad moments will most likely hit them hard.
Jun 10, 2019 7:46 PM
Jan 2018
Futz_ said:
@TodAboT I will agree that it will be predictable as more and more information gets spread about the anime. So before you watch it you already know that it will be sad. However, for people who watch it first the sad moments will most likely hit them hard.

I mean, I consider it to be predictable from the anime itself.
"Oh boy, they are making a big deal about introducing this cute girl, I wonder whyyyy" describes Clannad, Shigatsu, etc. perfectly.
Some just outright tell you that the cute girl will die/died, like Fireflies, or Pancreas.
Hotarubi No Mori E is the most embarrasing example of this, where instead of developing the characters, they just repeat many times how the main character will die.

It really takes away the actual surprise and shock of the moment.
Jun 10, 2019 7:47 PM

Mar 2016
After ep 10 of Violet Evergarden, I actually went over and lied on my bed staring at the ceiling for several hours.
Jun 10, 2019 7:48 PM

Jul 2013
Break down and cry in front of a mirror and proceed to be mentally fucked for 5 days
Jun 10, 2019 7:50 PM
Jul 2018
Nothing, I just continue on with my day with tears/no tears in my eyes.
Jun 10, 2019 10:55 PM

Jan 2016
Watch a bad dub, like Boku no Marie.ythymfnhgfhgdhgdt
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jun 11, 2019 2:37 AM

May 2009
Ideally I end up thinking about it for the next few days, ruminating over the emotions from the story.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 11, 2019 2:39 AM

Jul 2015
I started solving some differential equations
Jun 11, 2019 2:41 AM
Mar 2018
I search for OST                                 
Jun 11, 2019 3:01 AM

Feb 2017
After watching Your Lie in April i was feeling empty and talked to my self "damn, why you watch this shit anime" (even though i rated it 9 and added it to my fav). I didn't cried, it just give me feelings. Shigatsu was anime that changed me from normies who just liked Naruto become frequently watching anime. After watching Maquia i cried, a lot. I never cried so hard in my life because watching "cartoon" before Maquia. You can give it a try and find out why.
Jun 11, 2019 3:11 AM

Jul 2016
Usually just sit there for a bit, and savour the feeling. Not just for sad anime though, anything that makes me feel a particularly strong emotion. I feel like if I start doing something else immediately afterwards, then I've not appreciated it properly, or something like that.
Jun 11, 2019 6:38 AM

Jul 2016
I cried so hard after Texhnolyze ended that I slept like a little baby afterwards
Jun 11, 2019 6:53 AM

Jul 2017
clannad: after story, man i didn't see that coming and man did it give me a new look on life.
also not an anime but henshin left me depressed for days.
Jun 11, 2019 6:56 AM
Aug 2017
i literally feel empty for a while. Character deaths in the middle of the story do the same to me

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

102 by FFandMMfan »»
29 seconds ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

40 by Nurguburu »»
4 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 8 hours ago

37 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 8 hours ago

16 by Horizon248 »»
11 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

19 by Sorachin »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.