Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 10, 2019 7:36 AM

Feb 2019
As you can obviously see by my profile I'm an advocate for idol anime, especially Love Live. I just don't understand why the community somewhat branches us off as being cringy or having shit taste.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 10, 2019 7:51 AM

Apr 2019
Haven't watched one yet, but correct me if I'm wrong, the story doesn't go anywhere.
It's like "daily lives of Idol girls doing Idol things" like CGDCT. It's like there's no Plot/Story behind it and that's what bores me the most.

It's just simply not to my tastes, but it doesn't make me think bad of the people who watch them and I'm sure most of the community doesn't think bad of you guys either.

But there will always be people who will shit on other people who likes a certain genre, you'll see it mostly on Isekai's or Shounen's. Just ignore them.

Jun 10, 2019 8:02 AM

Oct 2014
There's a lot of people who like idol anime, and there are also those who don't. It's not too different from other anime in that regard. In Japan fans of idols, real or virtual, are more extreme in the ways they pledge to their favourites that people will make fun of them or even assume all idol fans are nuts, but there's nothing wrong with watching idol anime casually.

@-Shinzo Honestly, some of the best plots come from idol anime. Full Moon wo Sagashite is a better drama anime than Clannad imo and Aikatsu has some of the best character development, partly because they have so many characters and so much time to flesh them out and partly because they're don't using that time to do much other than develop their characters. The story of Aikatsu is quite heartwarming and even though it's sort of what you would expect from the beginning, it's one of those rare times when something that at the beginning seemed like a stretch actually felt realistic.

Something like Love Live has quite a straight forward and uninteresting plot and low quality idol anime are generally like that as well, but they're definitely not all like that.
Jun 10, 2019 8:06 AM

Nov 2011
i like cgdct and some idol series like aikatsu, pripara and love live.
having said that, the bad rep might be because some fans lack basic etiquette.

On Jan 26, the official website for "Love Live!" posted a warning — the fourth to date — on their news page advising fans to calm down and adhere to the basic rules of human interaction etiquette.

It reads as follows: “Recently, some people are not observing proper manners and are disturbing the viewing experience of others in the audience. Conflicts between customers has also been triggered by this behavior. Because this may lead to legal trouble, we ask everyone to please follow the rules during viewings and please heed the warnings of the staff promptly.

If an improvement in behavior is not seen, the theater staff may deem it necessary to eject you. This may also impact the scheduling of any future live viewings.”

The term “live viewings” refers to a range of events from concerts and conventions to public screenings. The range of “not observing proper behavior” is wide, from reports of relatively mild human centipedes ending up the skirt of one of the characters to the assault and robbery of a fan who received chocolate from one of the voice actresses.

https://japantoday.com/category/entertainment/love-live%21-warns-fans-once-again-to-refrain-from-being-jerks
some fans destroyed their blurays just because their va might not be pure (tm) according to unconfirmed rumors.

there was also a fully grown up adult playing the Aikatsu! game, making the target audience young girls wait for their turn.

as for people complaining about the taste of others, i can only assume they must be bored and have nothing better to do with their lives.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 10, 2019 8:11 AM

Feb 2019
@zombie_pegasus I cannot agree more with you. After finishing the Love Live Sunshine movie yesterday I truly questioned my love for this series. However, I realized that it isn't the anime that I'm drawn to. It's the franchise as a whole. The anime has a boring, generic plot but nonetheless, I can look over it. I created this thread to try to find out why people dislike some idol anime and that was the perfect response.
Jun 10, 2019 6:00 PM

Apr 2015
because most of the characters are just singers or dancers they dont know how to rap
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jun 10, 2019 6:12 PM

Jan 2013
Futz_ said:
As you can obviously see by my profile I'm an advocate for idol anime, especially Love Live. I just don't understand why the community somewhat branches us off as being cringy or having shit taste.
Which "community" are you talking about?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 10, 2019 6:26 PM

Apr 2013
Because they rather wank to normie and Isekai shit and not realize how profitable they were when they were still major a few years back. Yet idolm@ster dominates a lot of the Japanese otaku market for more than 15 years while now there's a rise of pseudo idol series taking over the market like Bang Dream! These people who disregard idol anime only really pissed me off a lot when they disregarded Bushi Road's most ambitious multimedia project, Revue Starlight due to it looking like an "idol anime". Idols aren't as popular as they were before with the only notable non-kid ones being Zombie Land Saga and Uma Musume, but ZLS failed as an idol show for me and only did good in the comedy aspect. Anime idols don't shine as much as they did before but knowing Idolm@ster is still going strong without us Gaijin and creators of idol series like Bushi Road making big waves with their new "music" projects is all that matters to me rn.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jun 10, 2019 7:15 PM

Feb 2019
@Cabron Generally the anime community as a whole, but if you want specifics, elitists or veterans.
Jun 10, 2019 7:53 PM

Feb 2019
Because that genre is, by definition, style over substance. It's an altar at which fans idolize characters for superficial qualities.
Jun 10, 2019 7:55 PM

Oct 2011
Futz_ said:

Because a lot of idol fans are disgusting virgins that rages when they see their favourite idol get near a man. LOL.
Jun 11, 2019 7:01 AM

Jan 2013
Aidoru-Ojisan said:
Because they rather wank to normie and Isekai shit and not realize how profitable they were when they were still major a few years back. Yet idolm@ster dominates a lot of the Japanese otaku market for more than 15 years while now there's a rise of pseudo idol series taking over the market like Bang Dream! These people who disregard idol anime only really pissed me off a lot when they disregarded Bushi Road's most ambitious multimedia project, Revue Starlight due to it looking like an "idol anime". Idols aren't as popular as they were before with the only notable non-kid ones being Zombie Land Saga and Uma Musume, but ZLS failed as an idol show for me and only did good in the comedy aspect. Anime idols don't shine as much as they did before but knowing Idolm@ster is still going strong without us Gaijin and creators of idol series like Bushi Road making big waves with their new "music" projects is all that matters to me rn.
That's a whole lot of projecting.

Futz_ said:
@Cabron Generally the anime community as a whole, but if you want specifics, elitists or veterans.
Ehh not really?
Go to Japan, it's a different ball game over there.

Jun 11, 2019 7:13 AM

Jan 2009
lol idol anime is so popular especially in japan and like they say popular shows have a lot of haters too that are usually just the vocal minority
Jun 11, 2019 7:15 AM

Feb 2019
I'd love a rap idol anime, I don't know why there aren't any.

OT: Because some hardcore fans can get quite cringy, but that's common with any hardcore fandom. I don't know why idol anime is frowned upon, like you say it is, I've never encountered anyone bashing it, to be honest. Personally, I quite enjoy them.
Jun 11, 2019 7:16 AM

Jun 2011
Idol anime gets bad rep back then I think because there's this preconception that fans of idols are overweight sweaty glasses dudes who would shake hands with their idols after they jacked off with the said hand. It's not as serious nowadays I think, but back then as an idol, you're not allowed to have a relationship because you have to remain a pure image to the public, and if you think about it, that is only so that the sick minded fans could imagine popping the idol's cherry..

and hence, is the reason idol anime get bad rep, cuz of their fans.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 11, 2019 7:26 AM

Jun 2019
Because idol anime tries to be something other than what it is: fantasy material. Plot is non-existent and girls are always plain. If it accepted why people watch it and embraced its high point maybe it would get less bad rep.

Edit: In fact ecchi embraces it and still is criticized and ostracized, forget what I said. But the reason is the fans trying to be holier than thou when they just like it because they masturbate to it.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Jun 11, 2019 7:26 AM

Jul 2013

Wow. I feel like it's been a lifetime since I've last seen someone mention Full moon. Love that series.

As for me, I haven't seen much idol anime. The thing that generally turns me off them is the preconceived idea that I have, which is that they're CGDGT rubbish. As for whether this is true or not.. I'll leave that up to someone who has more experience in the subgenre.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jun 11, 2019 7:31 AM

Jul 2016
Because the plot is boring and the characters are not much to talk about
OptigisaJun 22, 2019 4:33 PM
Jun 11, 2019 7:35 AM

Oct 2014
Bakchos said:
Because idol anime tries to be something other than what it is: fantasy material. Plot is non-existent and girls are always plain. If it accepted why people watch it and embraced its high point maybe it would get less bad rep.

Edit: In fact ecchi embraces it and still is criticized and ostracized, forget what I said. But the reason is the fans trying to be holier than thou when they just like it because they masturbate to it.
"Plot is non-existent" doesn't actually mean the same thing as "plot is bland", or else you could say something like Naruto doesn't have a plot when it clearly does. Most idol anime are about a group who slowly grows a fanbase, which is by definition a plot, but not a very good one.
Jun 11, 2019 7:39 AM

Mar 2019
Why are oriental pop stars suddenly called "idols" instead of "pop stars"?

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 11, 2019 8:24 AM

Feb 2011
Because people can't enjoy simple, pure and beautiful things and need drama or superpowers to keep themselves entertained.
@Aidoru-Ojisan
Jun 11, 2019 11:26 AM

Feb 2019
Sphinxter said:
Why are oriental pop stars suddenly called "idols" instead of "pop stars"?

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that they don't only sing what's labeled as "pop", but that would be a too simplistic answer.

I believe that they have many differences to what we call pop- or rockstars. They are marketed as to be wholesome, pure and perfect role models not only for youth, but adults as well, therefore are made to be revered (what encompasses the "idol" side of the term), while pop- and rockstars are not. I'm not well-versed in idol culture, but I'd imagine that's why they are not mere popstars, they are supposed to be something above that, something sold for their purity and personality.
Jun 11, 2019 11:39 AM
Jul 2018
-Shinzo said:
Haven't watched one yet, but correct me if I'm wrong, the story doesn't go anywhere.
It's like "daily lives of Idol girls doing Idol things" like CGDCT. It's like there's no Plot/Story behind it and that's what bores me the most.
I'll correct you then, this is not true.

OT: Because people are blinded by prejudice and are unable to give things a fair chance. It's the same thing with mecha, they assume they don't like it, but since they have no experience with it they can't give an accurate judgement.

I guess the reason for this is they assume it must have a bad story and characters since... come on, it's about singing, it can't be good right? There's also people who are embarrassed of liking shows with cute girls, for whatever reason.
Jun 18, 2019 7:43 AM

Jul 2016
The story is 99% of the time pure garbage and/or is just super boring and I can't stand how almost all of them are so nice and lovely to each other that's probably what gives me the most cancer. It's like the anime is made for girls with brain damage that have lost track of reality
Jun 18, 2019 9:20 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I mean I like Idol idea as entertainment fun.

Creating that fake image to present yourself as cute and pure character and express that in form of art. (music etc..)

just some people actually believe that Idols are for real.... and then commit hostile actions if they find our their Idol is pregnant, AV star, slut or part of any other scandal...

It's just that Idol culture is rather comical especially with those serious fans.

For me... I just like seeing cute Idols performing cute music in cute outfits.
And all the doujinshi that comes with them.
Jun 18, 2019 9:29 AM

Jun 2019
Because they are nothing more then CGDCT, a slice of nothing happening anime
Jun 18, 2019 9:39 AM

Mar 2018
"Rap" as in music genre or "rep" as in reputation?

If the former, somebody clearly haven't watch episode 2 of Zombieland Saga yet. If the latter, it's because it's a niche genre which is still growing. Even I, a CGDCT lover, couldn't enjoy Love Live tbh.

Jun 18, 2019 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
Tanatloc said:
The story is 99% of the time pure garbage and/or is just super boring and I can't stand how almost all of them are so nice and lovely to each other that's probably what gives me the most cancer. It's like the anime is made for girls with brain damage that have lost track of reality
What do you mean 99%? If your list is accurate, you've only watched one, and there's no 99% for 1.

And this is my problem with people who "hate" idol anime, and mecha, and mahou shoujo, and you name it. They've barely watched any, in many cases they haven't watched any, yet they've decided they hate it, for some reason.
Jun 18, 2019 12:10 PM

Jul 2016
Aldnox said:
Tanatloc said:
What do you mean 99%? If your list is accurate, you've only watched one, and there's no 99% for 1.

And this is my problem with people who "hate" idol anime, and mecha, and mahou shoujo, and you name it. They've barely watched any, in many cases they haven't watched any, yet they've decided they hate it, for some reason.

lol i don't need to see 1000 epsiodes of idol anime to see its bad i watched about 5 series and dude, its bad. and no i don't hate mecha/mahou shoujo
Jun 18, 2019 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
Tanatloc said:
Aldnox said:

lol i don't need to see 1000 epsiodes of idol anime to see its bad i watched about 5 series and dude, its bad. and no i don't hate mecha/mahou shoujo
If you watched 5 series it's OK, I could only find one on your list (Love Live). What I said still applies to the vast majority of people who hate idol/mahou shoujo/mecha/insert genre here. I wasn't talking about you when I mentioned people who hate mecha and mahou shoujo, rather there's a lot of people who hate them without having seeing them.
Jun 18, 2019 12:36 PM

Nov 2011
"i don't like this genre, theme, story, staff, etc therefore it's trash"
every hater of every genre of every entertainment medium.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 18, 2019 3:18 PM

Apr 2012
Personally, I just find the desire to be an idol to be very strange and hence hard to emphasise with. Which is probably enough to ensure that I'm never going to like any reasonably straight* idol anime anywhere near as much as something like K-ON.

*Zombieland Saga, on the other hand...
Jun 18, 2019 3:56 PM

Nov 2008
-Most of the supplementary material can be difficult to non-Japanese fans to access especially if it's from a mobile game (Love Live and Idolmaster are the most accessible and known, the latter has quite a bit of fan translated manga)

-A lot of western anime fans don't enjoy SoL.

-A lot of Western anime fans also get bored at idols period.

-You kind of have to be a seiyuu fan as well unless you're watching Love Live in which each installment has a different cast or it's an original with mostly/all rookies (which was a trend not too long ago).

-With game adaptations, with the exception of Idolmaster, you usually have to be invested in the series before watching to enjoy it. Which goes back to the first reason.

Jun 18, 2019 10:21 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
First, I want to say I'm no idol anime fan, but I'm actually really surprised looking at all the people who have simplified idol anime as just cute girls doing cute things.
I haven't watched a lot of idol anime, but all of the ones I've seen have not been like that at all. Usually it's about a group of people who aim to reach not only a singular goal but individual goals as well.

I'm just surprised that the aspects of idol anime people dislike don't seem to be very common??

Anyway, my main gripe about idol anime tends to be the character designs. I can usually adapt to this if they actually give their characters love and care though. However, it takes me a while to start things if I don't like those character designs.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jun 22, 2019 4:21 PM

Jul 2017
the fanbase i suppose
thats true in asia at least i don't know much about idol fans from the west
i personally find idol anime unenjoyable because the characters are often singing and dancing without doing anything other than those
Jun 22, 2019 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
Even serious idol anime like Key the Metal Idol are not that known, despite preceding Lain and Evangelion
Jun 22, 2019 5:42 PM

Oct 2014
SamHandwich said:
Because that genre is, by definition, style over substance. It's an altar at which fans idolize characters for superficial qualities.

Pretty much this.

Idol anime are the epitome of a trite pandering product next to like isekai. Not all are like that, but the majority that are seem to be a landslide. Fanbase is a big factor. The stereotype of idol fans being obsessed, superficial middle-aged fat dudes that worship little girls singing doesn't exactly help. I doubt all stereotypes are true, but I doubt they're that far off either. Idol culture as a whole is unhealthy. It's hard to see idol anime as anything other than a way to exploit weak-minded people.
Jun 22, 2019 8:36 PM

Feb 2019
Pyro said:
SamHandwich said:

Pretty much this.

Idol anime are the epitome of a trite pandering product next to like isekai. Not all are like that, but the majority that are seem to be a landslide. Fanbase is a big factor. The stereotype of idol fans being obsessed, superficial middle-aged fat dudes that worship little girls singing doesn't exactly help. I doubt all stereotypes are true, but I doubt they're that far off either. Idol culture as a whole is unhealthy. It's hard to see idol anime as anything other than a way to exploit weak-minded people.

well said, although a bit harsh much? I am not too aware of the issues of the idol community, or the community as a whole. However, placing a stereotype on the entire community is wrong in almost all cases and they are most definitely far off from the "superficial middle-aged fat dudes that worship little girls singing" that you depicted. If that were the case the community would never last as it would become too unhealthy. When news is spread, we only hear about the anomalies, this means that the disgusting and immoral news that emerges is not common and should not be used to represent the entire community. Most of us just enjoy the songs and what the characters offer, don't categorize us based off of rare occurrences.
Futz_Jun 22, 2019 8:41 PM
Jun 22, 2019 8:50 PM

Jun 2008
#1 Idol fans are the literal worst.

#2 Idol songs are so goddamn annoying!

#3 if you’ve seen One idol anime, you’ve seen them all!

>I actually really enjoyed Zombieland Saga, but because they’re zombies and that was interesting, not so much for the idol nonsense.
Jun 22, 2019 8:55 PM

Apr 2014
Thread moved from Casual Discussion
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Jun 22, 2019 9:03 PM

Feb 2019
--ALEX-- said:

#1 can you please elaborate?

#2 It’s personal preference

#3 That is something that I can totally agree with you
Jun 22, 2019 10:12 PM
Jul 2018
--ALEX-- said:

>I actually really enjoyed Zombieland Saga, but because they’re zombies and that was interesting, not so much for the idol nonsense.
#1 Wat
#2 Personal preference
#3 Demonstrably false

Coming next, "I actually liked Code Geass, but because of the strategy" and "I actually liked Madoka, but because of the edginess".
Jun 22, 2019 10:19 PM

Jan 2018
Aldnox said:
--ALEX-- said:

#1 Wat
#2 Personal preference
#3 Demonstrably false

Coming next, "I actually liked Code Geass, but because of the strategy" and "I actually liked Madoka, but because of the edginess".

I agree with @Aldnox

#1 how dare you talk shit about a fandom. it is to the person on what they’re going to like

#2 this one is about your prefences so I can’t do anything about it

#3 how is Love Live similar so Aikatsu? How is Pre Cure similare to Pri chan? all have their own twist to it
Jun 22, 2019 10:21 PM
Dec 2017
I'm not sure. It's not really my thing and I can see why some people aren't into it. I only watched one idol anime and, while I did like it, I even found that to be slightly boring. This idol anime was Zombieland Saga. Honestly, the comedy played a major part in me finishing the anime. So, yeah, some people probably just find it boring...or simply have no reason to watch it.
Jun 22, 2019 10:27 PM

Jan 2018
Sakurai_Aoi said:
I'm not sure. It's not really my thing and I can see why some people aren't into it. I only watched one idol anime and, while I did like it, I even found that to be slightly boring. This idol anime was Zombieland Saga. Honestly, the comedy played a major part in me finishing the anime. So, yeah, some people probably just find it boring...or simply have no reason to watch it.

although zombieland zaga was a good show, If you wan’t a dramatic plot hinted in it, I suggest love live. they MAY be doing cute things but the story is character-driven so it’s a roller coaster to watch! well if you do find it boring, it’s fine, it’s about your prefences after all
Jun 22, 2019 11:18 PM
Dec 2017
KlinyKlinn said:
Sakurai_Aoi said:

although zombieland zaga was a good show, If you wan’t a dramatic plot hinted in it, I suggest love live. they MAY be doing cute things but the story is character-driven so it’s a roller coaster to watch! well if you do find it boring, it’s fine, it’s about your prefences after all

Hmm... I'll think about it. I don't mind drama.
Jun 22, 2019 11:29 PM

May 2009
I think the thing with idol series is that (1) you have to like or at least be okay with the music, and then (2) you have to also like what they're doing.

The music is a big draw for such series, but not liking the music means you miss out on what's arguably the biggest reason for watching at least some of these series.

Broadly speaking, I do like J-pop/anisong styles (though specific styles can be hit-or-miss for me, often depending more on compositional details).

But if someone doesn't like these songs I can totally see them hating the experience. They might just get the feeling that it's somehow meant to be "cute girls doing sparkly thing" for no real reason, because it's not their taste. And that's why it feels empty to them; it just seems like cuteness for cuteness's sake.

As for myself:

* I really liked The iDOLM@STER for its focus on show biz and character development in that context. The songs are hit-or-miss for me, but I like enough of them. (I do not like Puchimas.)

* I liked AKB0048 when it was about a political conflict, even if said conflict was cheesy (though episode 3 is probably the best episode of the entire series). The show became less enjoyable for me when it became more about the succession process and the drama surrounding that. I generally like the songs.

* I tried watching Aikatsu but I dropped it after one episode because I'm not interested in the crazy sparkly pretty fashion stuff. I don't know my opinion of the music.

* I mainly enjoyed Symphogear, in part because I do generally like its music, though I think it sometimes does drama in an overblown way.
GlennMagusHarveyJun 22, 2019 11:36 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 22, 2019 11:46 PM

Aug 2013
I remember randomly deciding to watch the pilot movie for Wake Up, Girls! and loved it. Prior to that, I never gave the genre a chance. If I had to guess why I initially ignored the genre, then it may have been due to finding the Japanese idol scene somewhat odd at the time.
Jun 22, 2019 11:51 PM

Oct 2013
For me, I have a strong dislike of musicals, and that ended up translating into a strong dislike of idol anime. Not a big fan of singing in shows or movies. There are a few exceptions like the Symphogear series though.
Jun 23, 2019 6:13 AM

Jan 2013
Vazka said:
Because they're repetitive garbage. That's it.
You know that isn't true.

#characterlimit

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

81 by 3miL »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

12 by Jonas-K »»
5 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 6 hours ago

15 by BitChilly »»
10 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 3 hours ago

17 by Kenzolo-folk »»
11 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 5 hours ago

22 by logopolis »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.