Forum Settings
Forums
New
How many points do you use in your scale for rating anime?
Jun 9, 2019 9:45 AM

Oct 2014
It's popular on MAL to not use the bottom 5 points of the scale, either due to laziness or out of a moral obligation to reward the creators for their efforts (or make them look down on you if the creators actually hated their own project and were just making it for money).

Some people consider themselves to "still be using a 10 point scale but only be using the top half", and you should still count this as 5 points.

I've also seen some people use more points than normal for extra accuracy, like Digibro with his 40 point scale. Anilist even gives a 20 point option and a 100 point option.

What system do you use? Do you think MAL would be more accurate if more people rated like you or do you think your own system is only meant to be easy and other systems would be better if you had more time to rate things and properly compare them to each other?

If you don't use all the points MAL gives is it because of an existing system you know in the real world like school grading systems or something else like not wanting to decrease an anime's mean score if your experience with it was positive? Do you think an 11-20 scale sounds like it would be easier to use than a 1-10 scale?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 9, 2019 9:57 AM
Aug 2018
I predominantly use the full spectrum of ratings to grade my anime. While it may not sound feasible to some to go through the trouble of having to add the benefit of nuance to the scores I decide on for each time I finish a show or film, it pays off in lots of different ways. I'd add that having shows at very low scores is indicative that a user has a sizeable knowledge of the shows they are generally into and that they don't simply pick a show to watch solely because they think its promotional materials look attractive, but rather that they do a bit of research beforehand as a means of getting to know the ins and outs of its appeal and target demographic.
Jun 9, 2019 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
I use 1-10 scale and my rating is actually following bell curve which skewed a bit. I guess it can be seen my looking at my mean score which is in the 5 - 5.5 interval.
Jun 9, 2019 10:53 AM

Jul 2017
I find the 1-10 system to not be bad at all, sure more detailed one's like adding .5 would be helpful in some cases, but it's not the end of the world

As for how many points used, 9 out of 10 because nothing can be that bad to warrant a 1...right?
Jun 9, 2019 10:56 AM
Feb 2014
I use mostly 5-10, but have gone lower than a 5 on rare occasions.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jun 9, 2019 11:05 AM

Apr 2019
I think for me the biggest factor in how I rate is in my enjoyment and overall satisfaction with a series.

If it explores themes that are uncomfortable I won't downvote it just because of that.
I take genre into consideration as well because you can't expect the plot of an SOL CGDCT anime to be anything close to a good Psych/Thriller.

5 would be an expectations met kind of deal.
Below 5 is unsatisfied and above 5 is satisfied.
I prefer to write reviews because they express my thoughts better than numbers can.
moe_samaJun 9, 2019 11:08 AM

大好き "I just want to be an ancient demigod loli"
Jun 9, 2019 11:07 AM

Aug 2018
If you use less than 10 you should honestly be banned...
(I'm refering of course to those that think that a 5 is a 10)
CordobezEverdeenJun 9, 2019 11:14 AM
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jun 9, 2019 12:09 PM

Nov 2015
Iyya said:
I use 1-10 scale and my rating is actually following bell curve which skewed a bit. I guess it can be seen my looking at my mean score which is in the 5 - 5.5 interval.

Me too. I actually only started using the entire scale last year, though. It took me watching a really bad anime for me for me to realize that I needed my scores to more closely represent my enjoyment.
And actually I'm going through my entire list again in an attempt to get more of a bell-curve shape, as I feel like I still might be being a bit to generous with some of my higher scores. You can even see it in my signature - it's a bit of an ugly graph right now, with a positive skew and a bit too leptokurtic for my liking
Jun 9, 2019 12:27 PM

Jan 2009
5 (6-10 or equivalent) (your vote)

but if i think the anime is bad then i rate it as 4

although i like to have at least the scoring system to be in decimal system from 1-5 scale at least so i can score an anime like 4.3 or 4.7 or something
Jun 9, 2019 1:10 PM

Dec 2018
I tier. For example, I have low 9 (Fate/Zero, Gunbuster, Mob II), solid 9 (FMAB, Serial Experiments Lain, End of Eva/Evangelion), and high 9 (LOTGH, Welcome to the NHK, Made in Abyss.)

I do that for every number. Additionally, I have Steins;Gate which is my Gatekeeper Anime, and anything better then Steins;Gate gets a 10/10 from me.

I almost never use 1, 2 or 3, simply because I generally dont watch bad anime if i can avoid it.
Jun 9, 2019 1:19 PM
Aug 2018
I might be one of the only people particular enough to rate from 1 to 10 but accurate to two decimal figures.

So technically, my range is from 0.00 to 10.00 totaling 1001 possible points. Strange, isn't it?
Jun 9, 2019 1:25 PM

Oct 2010
I use the German style 1-6 with 1 meaning the best and 6 the worst.

Jun 9, 2019 1:29 PM

Dec 2012
I use the full 1-10 scale. Although, the list is top heavy, because if a show is 5 or below I'm just going to abandon ship and I wouldn't go out of my way to intentionally look for and watch and complete bad shows I won't like.

KruszerJun 9, 2019 1:36 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 9, 2019 3:40 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
1-10 , but most 5/10 or under I drop.

Can't be bothered to make rating any more complex. In short it's by a gut feeling and long variant on my profile. To know how that so-called gut feeling rating works.
Jun 9, 2019 3:46 PM

Jun 2014
If you answered "10," but fewer than 5% of the titles on your list you rated 1/10, 2/10, 3/10, then you're lying.
Jun 9, 2019 3:48 PM
womp womp

Nov 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
What system do you use? Do you think MAL would be more accurate if more people rated like you or do you think your own system is only meant to be easy and other systems would be better if you had more time to rate things and properly compare them to each other?

If you don't use all the points MAL gives is it because of an existing system you know in the real world like school grading systems or something else like not wanting to decrease an anime's mean score if your experience with it was positive? Do you think an 11-20 scale sounds like it would be easier to use than a 1-10 scale?

I've used the whole scale of 1-10.

I think that MAL scores would ultimately never be "more accurate" even if people did rate using the full scale that MAL provides. I believe this is the best we as a collective can do for accurate scores.

Trying to get more accurate scores as a collective is one whole other beast to try to tackle.

I do believe that 1-10 is an easier system when compared to a 1-20 and 1-100, as having only ten tiers that supports only 5 tiers of liking it, making it easier to group the shows. I would love to adopt the 1-100 score tier however I believe that I would only be able to apply it to the upper echelons of the shows I've seen. I'm currently attempting to try it on anilist but it's a work in progress, however the ability differentiate between how I feel about the shows are able to be shown is quite fun.

However, also having the chance to explain myself in my 1-10 scale is not a bad thing as the 1-100 doesn't leave much in terms of imagination. It's a strange double-edged sword.
Jun 9, 2019 3:57 PM

Aug 2016
10 because of MAL's limitation. If whenever MAL decides to extend the rating scale by adding decimal values (.5 or every qtr or more than that), I'll make sure to fully use the scale as I have already had preparations for that in Excel
MechKingKillbotJun 9, 2019 4:03 PM
Jun 9, 2019 4:01 PM

Oct 2017
I use whole scale, but it's rare that an anime is seriously so bad on every aspect that I give it a 3. I try to avoid those kinds of shows altogether, which probably is the reason I don't have very many shows rated that lowly. I try to be as objective as I can while rating, which means I can give many shows similiar ratings. What I have observed is that most shows that I have watched are mediocre, which for me seems to be anywhere from 5-7 on MAL rating. That's why my average rating is where it is at. I am not chasing a truth when rating anyway. I just want to keep my anime list in check, you know.

Jun 9, 2019 4:14 PM

May 2015
I guess I use 5-10 more than 1-10 but I am open to using the full scale, its just that I tend to enjoy most things I complete and rate.

♡ artist
サコ
Jun 9, 2019 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
I'm pretty happy with my scale it is a 1-10, but I don't know if it's for everyone. I think my scale is a lot easier to use since there's such a clear distinction between each part, unlike the vague "good" or "great" type scale that I did before. I also like how fast it is and I find the scale, personally, more accurate since the scores are more specific. Though I should mention this scoring system only really works if the said person is under the belief that quality causes enjoyment since its tier based with enjoyment being what makes something score negatively or positively. It also might be problematic for those who want to consider all parts when grading a show which would be reasonable and is probably most people. Btw, here's how much of the scale I use:

I am, at the moment considering changing my 1 score, as its way too hard to find shows that fit into it.
removed-userJun 9, 2019 5:52 PM
Jun 9, 2019 6:33 PM

Nov 2011
1-10 scale is already much enough, I can't believe how people think that more detailed scale like 1-20 or even 1-100 is a good idea..
Maybe it helps a little if you really calculated the score by segments like story, character, etc and then average it.. But when you still rated a show by feelings (including me), more than 1-10 scale is a stupid idea, except for people who care too much about MAL overall score and thinking that their score with difference 0.1 to overall score can give a significant boost to the said overall score..
I honestly belief 1-5 is actually a better idea for people to really use the scale properly from the lowest to highest..

For me I actually want to use 1-10 scale fully, but MAL definition of the score (7 mean good and 3 for very bad for example) inhibit me a little because I can't differentiate between 1,2 and 3.. And I don't want to watch a show I thinking bad too ...

PS: For people with distribution that isn't normal/bell curve, I believe there are something wrong with how you rated animes until now.. If you want, you should redo all your scores imo ...
Jim_HeartJun 9, 2019 6:37 PM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 9, 2019 6:45 PM

Mar 2019
1-10 scale is fine.

Almost everything in my list is 6 or higher, but that's just because I did genuinely enjoy most of the things I watched. If I didn't enjoy it, I'd be fine with using 5 or less as a rating.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2019 6:48 PM

Oct 2013
I don't really see the point of a 10 point scale if you don't use the whole thing, or at least most of it. So far I've yet to give anything than a 3.
Jun 9, 2019 6:51 PM

Jun 2012
I just use a 10-sided die to determine my scoring for series.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 9, 2019 7:02 PM

Oct 2017
i don't rate anime anymore but when i did i used 1-10
Jun 9, 2019 7:02 PM

May 2009
What should I pick if I use a rating system that's from 1 to 9, but mainly only using the odds (because they correspond to a five-point scale that spans almost the entire 1-10 scale given), but occasionally using the evens because I can?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 9, 2019 7:16 PM

Sep 2018
I use 1-10. I also periodically go back and re-rate things. Like "I gave x and y a 6... was x really on par with y? Was x better?" etc.

Jun 9, 2019 7:30 PM

Apr 2019
Kruszer said:
I use the full 1-10 scale. Although, the list is top heavy, because if a show is 5 or below I'm just going to abandon ship and I wouldn't go out of my way to intentionally look for and watch and complete bad shows I won't like.

This is exactly what I do. I feel there is no reason to continue watching an anime I don't enjoy, unless it's a specific case (Nanatsu no Taizai 4 bullshit episodes). Since I don't rate dropped animes, my low scores are just sitting there with few entries.

I'd rather have decimals to propperly refine the scale, though. A 20 point system would be the best option for me.
Jun 9, 2019 7:51 PM

Apr 2015
I've been using the 1-10 scale for as long as I can remember and will continue to do so since is the most effective rating format for me. Everyone should at least attend to use it, instead of using a outrages school scale 7-10 that does nothing but mess up the entire ranking because some of people can't help being too generous while scoring shows.

And look is not like I'm expecting people to rate the same way as me, but at the very least rate in a sense that your scores feels as though they have more way on weight and meaning on them. I'm for sure can tell how much mines are whenever I look at my graph:

Jun 9, 2019 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
1-10. I don't know what else I'd use. It works for me. I don't use halves, that feels pointless and indecisive.
Jun 9, 2019 8:26 PM

Jan 2018
1-10, need those 1s for boku no pico and shits
Jun 9, 2019 8:27 PM

Nov 2018
in most cases I'll rate an anime with 12+ episodes like this:
10- Masterpiece, loved every second of it
09- so close to being 10, but had a few negatives
08- it was good and I certainly enjoyed it
07- something bothered me, I wasn't able to enjoy every episode of it
06- meh, watched it but it had a few (based on enjoyment) boring episodes
05- certainly won't watch it again and won't tell anyone it is good; either boring, story doesn't make sense or unlikeable characters
04- trash, serious trash; I actually hated sth about it

haven't rated anything lower than 4

Now I have a 2nd scale I use for anime (if you can call it like that) for shorts
01- yep absolute trash in every possible way
02- trash that doesn't totally suck in everything
03- still trash but it had sth ok
04- not 100% trash bc it had a purpose, may it be a music video or a tiny bit of story
05- not a total waste of my time
06- excells at either story or art
07- this has to be really good, amazing story for a short
08- perfection of a short

haven't rated anything higher than this

My rating system is based on this: I won't give a score lower than 4 to a full TV anime because I know that a lot of work went into it, on the other hand I won't rate any short higher than 8 because it's just a short and can't come close to what a full TV anime can do.
Jun 9, 2019 10:58 PM

Oct 2017
I use the whole scale i.e 1-10.

Even if people used the whole scale, there wouldn't be any accuracy. Just like the present scores some will find them as accurate and some will not.

Though, I don't compare shows to each other while rating them.
Jun 9, 2019 11:30 PM

Jan 2018
All 10, of course. Whenever I start a show, if I can give a 6 or 7 by the end of it I'll be happy, as those are my "good" scores. Anything above that is truly memorable, but even then, I need three scores to differentiate between just how great these shows are. Using less than the entire scale wouldn't give me any wiggle room at all. Idk how people could not use the entire thing, tbh.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jun 9, 2019 11:32 PM

May 2018
I'd say I use 9 points to score. I have some problems with a 3. Titles are usually either bad enough to get 2 or good enough to get 4. The gap between 2 and 3 is too narrow. All my 3s are accidental and all of them could be a 2 or a 4 instead. I just turn some 2s and 4s into 3 to maintain the appearance of my graph :D

Jun 10, 2019 12:15 AM

Sep 2015
Full scale of course. It was made to be used. And I'm tryig to achieve a reasonable distribution to uphold the value of each score.

Jun 10, 2019 12:33 AM

Jul 2016
1 through 5 have bad characters and bad writing. Lower value means more intense hatred for the characters. Could be a single character, could be multiple.

6 has good characters, but bad writing.
7 has good characters and good writing, but is too much of a tease.

8 and 9 have almost everything I want, making them bittersweet. Difference in value is based on how much is missing.
10 has EVERYTHING I want.
Jun 10, 2019 12:41 AM

Jan 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
It's popular on MAL to not use the bottom 5 points of the scale, either due to laziness or out of a moral obligation to reward the creators for their efforts (or make them look down on you if the creators actually hated their own project and were just making it for money).

I'm pretty sure its not the case that people don't use the bottom 5 points of the scale due to laziness or some moral obligation. In my experience I don't use (or extremely rarely use) use the bottom 5 of the points of the scale because I don't make a habit of finishing shows I don't enjoy and thus I rarely ever rate shows below 5. I can't imagine having an average score below 5, I would essentially be wasting my time watching shows i felt were bad.
Jun 10, 2019 12:52 AM

May 2017
Well, 5-point scale is more to my tastes.
5- Masterpiece
4-Good
3-Average
2-Lacking
1-Bad

On MAL, I mostly rate ani/manga in the 5-10 range, because I am yet to find "Horrible" and "Apalling" manga. There is only one manga I have rated 4 till this date, because of how seriously shoddy the work felt.

─=≡Σ(([ ⊐•̀⌂•́]⊐My Profile
=≡Σ(([ ⊐•̀⌂•́]⊐Sgn/Avt by : @Nate

Jun 10, 2019 12:57 AM

Apr 2018
I'd really like to use a 1-10 scale with middle scores, but mal doesn't allow that, so I just use the normal 1-10 scale
Jun 10, 2019 12:59 AM

Apr 2013
I always use the full extent of a rating system that's given to me and my scores are always contrasted.
The values of these scores generally change depending on the medium ( they are slightly different in myanimelist and letterboxd for example)
10 being simply what I consider the best in one medium and 1 some of the worst things I can find in it.
I think the part of being contrasted is what's more important as it's kind of a tier system where if I think one of my 6 is not as good as the others I lower it to a 5, etc so what piles up into the bottom will be different everytime.
Jun 10, 2019 1:37 AM
Dec 2017
I mainly use a score of 7-10 when rating anime. I have yet to find an anime deserving of a score less than that (other than Pupa). When I find and watch a really bad anime I'll give it a score that I feel it deserves.

Anyway, there's also different levels of good for me. For example, the first season of Bungou Stray Dogs was a low 10. I felt that it was undeserving of a 9 simply because of the 1 or 2 problems it had. Season 2 of Bungou Stray Dogs was a high 10. In my opinion, there was nothing wrong with it and it was much better than season 1 because it even got rid of the issues that season 1 had.

Also, I usually don't watch anime that I think are bad so that's one reason why a majority of my scores are above 8. And even simply "good" anime receive a score boost if I really liked it. Without those score boosts, I'm sure that there would be a few more anime on my list with mere 7's. I mean, seriously, the only reason Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody didn't get a 8 instead of a 7 was because it was kinda boring...
Jun 10, 2019 1:42 AM

Sep 2009
I use a five point system.

Most modern Anime doesn't posses enough depth of complexity to warrant large grading parameters.
Jun 10, 2019 1:44 AM

Apr 2012
Definitely use the whole scale. I have very few anime actually rated below five, but that's because I try to avoid watching bad anime, and will generally drop one before I've watched enough to rate it.
Jun 10, 2019 1:50 AM

May 2014
I use the full 1-10 scale. It just makes the most sense to me, with 5 meaning average. Only two anime have the honour of getting a 1/10 so far.
Jun 10, 2019 1:57 AM

Apr 2017
I use the 1-10. But yeah a .5 would be cool imo.
Jun 10, 2019 2:20 AM

May 2015
I use 1-10 but lately I try to drop early what I hate or think isn't worth my time and I don't rate dropped anime, so I expect my mean score to go up unless something will piss me off in the end or degrades painfully after I already decided not to drop it.
Jun 10, 2019 2:43 AM

Mar 2019
zombie_pegasus said:
I think it's more that one's just not going to watch whatever one already knows to be shit and if it quickly turns out to be then one just stops before feeling one can actually rate it.

Some things are just unenjoyable to me 10 minutes in; I won't watch it further but I don't feel like I can in good conscience rate something based on 10 minutes either even though if I went on it would probably be a 2 or something.

I think all ratings should be percentile based rather than an arbitrary scale; it should just be "63%" as in "I consider this better than 63% of shows out there."

In fact I think a more interesting system would be not allowing users to give anything a rating but forcing them to order everything they watched from least to most favorite and based on that compute the average percentile score to display.

Or maybe just use both and list them next to each other.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 10, 2019 3:53 AM

Nov 2009
I have meaningful use for scores 4-10. I don't bother sorting the really bad stuff, so it's likely to all be rated 4.

Sphinxter said:
In fact I think a more interesting system would be not allowing users to give anything a rating but forcing them to order everything they watched from least to most favorite and based on that compute the average percentile score to display.

Sounds like a full-time job, not a useful site to keep track of what I watched.
Jun 10, 2019 3:59 AM
Jul 2018
The 1-10 scale is perfect in my opinion. Most of the shows I've rated are above 5 but I give scores below 5 on rare occasions (like SAO).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

21 by BlueBullet178 »»
6 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

13 by DigiCat »»
9 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

20 by Lhundrup »»
38 minutes ago

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel?

Rinrinka - Apr 12

37 by Lockensocke »»
45 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

30 by IpreferEcchi »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.