Forum Settings
Forums

Why don't people watch older anime whenever the current season is shit?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 11, 2019 4:53 AM
May 2016
I'm sure that some people DO watch older shows along side the new seasonal anime, but they still want to vent out their complaints. I usually watch some old shows and some of the newer ones at the same time, but its fair to want to complain if something is disappointing, that's what forums are for!

Some people have also seen mountains of anime and if they have watched most of the good old ones, the new ones are their breath of fresh air and it must suck if all of them fall flat.

I am not watching many new anime but when I browsed the seasonal anime for this season almost all of them have the lowest scores I have seen so far, so I can guess that this season didn't do SUPER well for people?
Jun 11, 2019 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
Had I followed this, I'd have no idea that “ March comes like a Lion“ and “Honey and Clover“ were created by the same person, because I'd have skipped the latter anyway
Jun 11, 2019 5:16 AM

Oct 2008
I do watch older anime, but my reason is that in the two+ months that new anime air, I have nothing to do. So I watch older series to pass the time and see if I might have missed something good.
Jun 11, 2019 5:20 AM

Apr 2015
because of seasonal waifu wars.. u can't join the seasonal waifu wars if u watchin old show (personally i think this is bullsht i watch old shows a lot)
Jun 11, 2019 7:18 AM

Jul 2016
Because older Anime does not have "pretty colooors and animashon"
Jun 11, 2019 8:14 AM
Feb 2017
Heck, I'll watch older shows even when I'm currently watching 3-4 shows from a season. Current example: Code Geass R1 and R2.
Jun 11, 2019 9:16 AM

Oct 2018
I'm actually watching the original Hellsing eps.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jun 11, 2019 11:28 AM
May 2019
By old anime, I don’t know how old your talking 1990, 1980, 1970?, I’ll just assume your talking about the 80s and 70s anime.
I don’t watch seasonal anime because everyone talks about them.
I watch them because I’m quite young (18) and I can relate to new anime a lot more than older series, it just really depends what generation you were born in.
I’m fine with some 90s anime, because I was born near that time, but 70s and 80s nah.
Jun 11, 2019 11:28 AM

Sep 2018
Because your opinion is utterly irrelevant to them?
Jun 11, 2019 12:05 PM

Jan 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
assyrian said:
most people who watch seasonals are not watching it for the quality. most are just doing it for water cooler talk or something similar.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

Asaid16 said:
I don't like binging anime, seasonals are only one episode a week. No matter how bad a season is, there will at least be one decent anime anyways. People just exaggerate.
You can do it like me; I neither binge nor watch seasonals. I watch maybe 1-3 eps a night, when I watch at all, and I usually stop for a while after I finish something.

Fair enough, though I want to watch seasonals, I like being part of the discussions.
Jun 11, 2019 12:17 PM

May 2009
Asaid16 said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

You can do it like me; I neither binge nor watch seasonals. I watch maybe 1-3 eps a night, when I watch at all, and I usually stop for a while after I finish something.

Fair enough, though I want to watch seasonals, I like being part of the discussions.
Fair point on your side too; besides, despite not watching seasonals, I agree that there's pretty much always something of interest on tap.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 11, 2019 3:39 PM

Jul 2011
I actually tend to avoid the seasonals most of the time and only watch shows that seem interesting to me

Jun 11, 2019 3:47 PM

Apr 2017
To tell you honestly, I really do watch the old anime. If the current season has a bunch of crappy anime, I'd try to watch or even marathon the old ones. I don't care about the animation, I look for the good story. I care about the story. Old animes are timeless and you don't have to wait each week to watch only one episode which makes me feel bad at some point.
Jun 11, 2019 4:53 PM

Oct 2010
There are many plausible personal reasons to consider, the most relevant perhaps being that just because you are not into the current season doesn't mean you need to replace it with older anime. You watch anime to enjoy yourself, not as a daily obligation.
Jun 11, 2019 4:57 PM

Oct 2013
Crazy thought, shot in the dark here...maybe those people aren't interested in watching older anime. Or maybe some of them really love bitching about things they could easily just not watch.
Jun 11, 2019 10:37 PM
Mar 2018
GERXjakobson said:
I watch older Anime. Most people don't like them because the animation looks old and they got no pretty colors. Both arguments are bullcrap.
when people say they don't like the style, I think they are implying to the 360p quality. we are so use to HD now it hurts to watch 90s anime.
Jun 11, 2019 10:49 PM

Aug 2012
IpreferEcchi said:
Instead of complaining whenever they don't like the current season, they should all watch and increase the popularity ranking of older anime.

The inequality between the number of members for airing anime and older anime hurts my soul.
watched most old anime worth while.
Jun 12, 2019 1:11 AM

May 2018
Yeah, even skipped stuff from 2016-2018 is worth revisiting/reconsidering...but many people are not doing that either.

Shamless shout out:
Watch Tsukumogami Kashimasu you guys! I liked it and I am not that much into romantic shows. It's totally underappreciated!

nightcrawlercyp said:
watched most old anime worth while

- All the 10 of them?
- How did you know previously that they are worthy?
Jun 12, 2019 1:46 AM

Feb 2018
Cuz for many people it’s all about being a part of the comunity and the current conversation surrounding anime and manga.
Jun 12, 2019 2:15 AM

Aug 2012
alshu said:
Yeah, even skipped stuff from 2016-2018 is worth revisiting/reconsidering...but many people are not doing that either.

Shamless shout out:
Watch Tsukumogami Kashimasu you guys! I liked it and I am not that much into romantic shows. It's totally underappreciated!

nightcrawlercyp said:
watched most old anime worth while

- All the 10 of them?
- How did you know previously that they are worthy?
When there is nothing running interesting I generally search older ones. Over a few years I have seen a lot so now is hard to find amongst old ones some I did not see that present interest to me. My MAL list currently has over 200 titles and is in no way complete. I base if they are worth watching on plot reviews and clips from the series.
Jun 12, 2019 4:55 AM

May 2018
nightcrawlercyp said:
I base if they are worth watching on plot reviews and clips from the series.

This never works for me - old or new titles.
Plot recaps doesn't necessary demonstrate what is good about said anime.
Reviews tend to be strongly biased. The only thing that those prove is - yes, the guys how wrote them were very impressed...and nothing else.
Excerpts without context could be misguiding.

My point is - there is no guaranty you have found everything worthy from certain period.
Jun 12, 2019 5:14 AM

Dec 2015
FoxFire75 said:
Dragonball I don't think I can stomach a 10 minute recap every episode anymore.

I fail to remember this for most of the DB episodes, it was max.1.5-2mn before the title card usually.

JoyBoy_316 said:
Same here I really don't understand how talking about an average show became better than watching an actually great one

Exactly !
But that's the wonder of the Internet. ;)

Psychedelios said:
u can't join the seasonal waifu wars if u watchin old show

Because it simply makes no sense to you anymore: how could any character of today be more wife-material than the "stars" of yester days
Rei_IIIJun 12, 2019 5:18 AM
Jun 12, 2019 6:09 AM

Aug 2012
alshu said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
I base if they are worth watching on plot reviews and clips from the series.

This never works for me - old or new titles.
Plot recaps doesn't necessary demonstrate what is good about said anime.
Reviews tend to be strongly biased. The only thing that those prove is - yes, the guys how wrote them were very impressed...and nothing else.
Excerpts without context could be misguiding.

My point is - there is no guaranty you have found everything worthy from certain period.
Plot summary i.e. the main premise of the show. It may be good but ig the plot is not appealing to me I will not watch. While reviews can be biased as long as the reviewer does not outward lie you can isolate various info from them. Excerpts show how characters interact and a bit about the atmosphere. And while my method is not perfect is accurate enough.
Jun 12, 2019 6:10 AM

Apr 2014
some people dont like the art, the voices, the atmosphere or other things that make older anime older
Jun 12, 2019 7:06 AM

May 2018
nightcrawlercyp said:
Plot summary i.e. the main premise of the show. It may be good but ig the plot is not appealing to me I will not watch.

There are literal masterpieces which sound horrible on paper.

nightcrawlercyp said:
While reviews can be biased as long as the reviewer does not outward lie you can isolate various info from them.

Yeah but people get hyped sometimes for things that they think everybody loves...and I eventually don't care about.
More oftenly they dismiss thing I value high.

nightcrawlercyp said:
Excerpts show how characters interact and a bit about the atmosphere.

I can speak from personal experience - seeing some excerpt and saying to myself "Naaah" but later watching the show anyway for some reason and concluding "Now that made sense in the context.".
Sometimes those excerpts are movies or series which make no sense outside their franchise.
Jun 12, 2019 7:44 AM

Dec 2016
FoxFire75 said:

I won't go as far as to rewatch Dragonball though lol I loved it as a kid but I don't think I can stomach a 10 minute recap every episode anymore.

You either didn't watch DB or you're memories are not very good then.
Jun 12, 2019 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
Arkab said:
FoxFire75 said:

I won't go as far as to rewatch Dragonball though lol I loved it as a kid but I don't think I can stomach a 10 minute recap every episode anymore.

You either didn't watch DB or you're memories are not very good then.

I have fond memories of DB, but yeah, they might be skewed - I did not watch a a single episode in 15 - 20 years so I might remember it wrong. But I had the distinct feeling I have been waiting impatiently for a story to progress back then and it wasn't ( to my satisfaction ) just rehashing last eps, a lot. As said, might be skewed. Still not planning on a rewatch anytime soon.
Jun 12, 2019 11:19 AM

Jun 2015
I've already seen a lot of the older shit im interested in. I've moved on to reading manga while I wait for a better season to keep up with.
Jun 12, 2019 11:49 AM

Nov 2014
xaow said:
I've already seen a lot of the older shit im interested in. I've moved on to reading manga while I wait for a better season to keep up with.

Are you open for recomendations? I know some more oldies you might like.

(Okay, Blanca, now try to do it again, but this time sounding less creepy, can you do it?)
Jun 12, 2019 12:05 PM

Jun 2015
BlancaXLobo said:
xaow said:

(Okay, Blanca, now try to do it again, but this time sounding less creepy, can you do it?)

I'm always open for recs, although fair warning a lot of the older stuff I've seen isn't on my list.
Jun 12, 2019 12:08 PM
Jul 2018
They do. I'm currently watching Monster along with seasonal anime.
Jun 12, 2019 12:09 PM

Nov 2014
xaow said:
BlancaXLobo said:

I'm always open for recs, although fair warning a lot of the older stuff I've seen isn't on my list.

Okay. Tell me if you have watched one of those:

- Battle Angel Alita OVA
- Shoujo Kakumei Utena
- The Big O
- Giant Robo The Day Earth Stood Still
- Trigun
- Bubblegum Crisis
- Ghost in the Shell
- Memories
- Robot Carnival
Jun 12, 2019 12:10 PM

Nov 2014
Savasvania said:
They do. I'm currently watching Monster along with seasonal anime.

You made a great decision. Trust me.
Jun 12, 2019 12:16 PM

Jun 2015
BlancaXLobo said:
xaow said:

Okay. Tell me if you have watched one of those:

- Battle Angel Alita OVA
- Shoujo Kakumei Utena
- The Big O
- Giant Robo The Day Earth Stood Still
- Trigun
- Bubblegum Crisis
- Ghost in the Shell
- Memories
- Robot Carnival

actually, out of all those I've only seen Trigun and Ghost in the Shell. The Big O, Memories, and Robot Carnival seem interesting though, I'll check em out. Thanks for the recs.
Jun 12, 2019 12:23 PM

Nov 2014
@xaow no, thanks to you, i always love to have the opportunity to recomend some oldies and find people who actually would check them out.
Jun 12, 2019 12:24 PM

Jun 2007
Wishywally said:
when people say they don't like the style, I think they are implying to the 360p quality. we are so use to HD now it hurts to watch 90s anime.
Most should be available in 480p; if viewers are choosing to watch crappy bootleg-stream re-encodes of early-00s rips, that's their own fault. Plus, many of the best-known 90s anime are available in HD, thanks to remastered versions made by rescanning the original film at higher resolutions. (And some upscales.) Out of the 90 most popular 90s titles, you can get these in HD:

Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Outlaw Star, Princess Mononoke, Serial Experiments Lain, Berserk, Jin-Roh, Rurouni Kenshin Reminiscence, Escaflowne TV, Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue, His and Her Circumstances, Cardcaptor Sakura, Whisper of the Heart, Porco Rosso, Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, Infinite Ryvius, Ninja Scroll, Record of Lodoss War OVA, Martian Successor Nadesico, Blue Submarine #6, Tenchi Muyo! OVA, Yu Yu Hakusho, Only Yesterday, The Slayers movies and OVAs, Gundam 08th MS Team, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, Big O, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Magic Knight Rayearth, and (after AnimEigo's US release) Gunsmith Cats. That extends back to some 80s titles as well, like Dragonball Z, Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Akira, and Kimagure Orange Road.

So if so many older or "classic" anime actually are available in 720p and even 1080p, perhaps it's more the fact that they're made (aside from the theatrical movies) in 4:3 that damages younger viewers' perception of them.
Jul 17, 2022 6:41 PM

Jan 2010
Sorry for the necropost and reviving this thread, but I do watch older anime whenever and wherever I want.

I'm not going to say if current season or today's anime is crap or shit, but there are thing I like about older anime (particularly from the 1980's and 1990's) that you can't find in today's anime. I still watch modern/today's anime but that depend on the premise/plotline, genre, and that title's uniqueness. But older anime from the 80's, there's something about some anime's storyline that attract me like for example, Armored Trooper VOTOMs stood out to me hence why I bought the complete collection on blu-ray recently.

On Crunchyroll & Retrocrush, I'm really happy to see older/retro anime being made available for any newer and younger anime fans to watch, there are fans out there that can appreciate the older titles.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - 1 hour ago

13 by Dije »»
21 seconds ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 3 hours ago

12 by 81canfan13 »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

79 by ColourWheel »»
6 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

120 by FFandMMfan »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.