Forum Settings
Forums

Why don't people watch older anime whenever the current season is shit?

New
Jun 9, 2019 5:52 AM

Jul 2016
Instead of complaining whenever they don't like the current season, they should all watch and increase the popularity ranking of older anime.

The inequality between the number of members for airing anime and older anime hurts my soul.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 9, 2019 5:55 AM

Jan 2009
good point and a lot of fans say they do not care about animation/visuals because if that is the case then they should have no problem about old anime that usually have not as good visuals/animation than new ones

but also maybe its because its hard to find old anime, like where can i download it ever since BakaBT is no longer publicly available
Jun 9, 2019 5:58 AM

Aug 2017
most people who watch seasonals are not watching it for the quality. most are just doing it for water cooler talk or something similar.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2019 6:02 AM

Jul 2016
deg said:
good point and a lot of fans say they do not care about animation/visuals because if that is the case then they should have no problem about old anime that usually have not as good visuals/animation than new ones

but also maybe its because its hard to find old anime, like where can i download it ever since BakaBT is no longer publicly available

Nyaa doesn't work for you? It has a lot.

And I can think of 2 other sites for direct downloading (was 3, but 1 of them is broken now), plus XDCC. (IRC)
Jun 9, 2019 6:06 AM

Jan 2009
IpreferEcchi said:
deg said:

Nyaa doesn't work for you? It has a lot.

And I can think of 2 other sites for direct downloading (was 3, but 1 of them is broken now), plus XDCC. (IRC)

XDCC is the best option no doubt and ye i use that a lot in the past too but i doubt casual anime watchers would bother to learn how to use that and also a lot will be too lazy to register to AniDB to find the XDCC sites of fansubbers

about Nyaa i tend to notice old anime have low to zero seeds being a public tracker

but my comment is not specifically about me but just the general anime fans

also im not familiar with illegal streaming sites if they have old anime
Jun 9, 2019 6:12 AM

Jul 2016
deg said:
about Nyaa i tend to notice old anime have low to zero seeds being a public tracker

In my experience those with low seeds still download really fast as long as they actually connect.
Jun 9, 2019 6:13 AM

Sep 2017
People who refuse to watch older shows are usually the younger ones. Teens will watch whatever every other teens are watching because it is the psychological nature of adolescence to care a lot about peer recognition. Just let them do whatever they want. Anime is a teen-centred media anyways.
Jun 9, 2019 6:17 AM
May 2015
Older anime should be more available.
Jun 9, 2019 6:20 AM

Dec 2015
I'm actually trying to do this more often. I belive I started with Code Geass a couple of years ago and it was amazing. I've watched Sangatsu no Lion last year and the second season is one the best things I've watched in my life. Hunter x Hunter wasn't really great for most parts, but Yorknew was really well done, and Chimera Ant was probably the best arc I've watched in anime. Right now I'm trying to watch JoJo, but I still don't see the appeal. Most likely I will finish watching Evangelion when it comes out on Netflix this month, and I after maybe go for Clannad, or if I have more time Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu.
Jun 9, 2019 6:35 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
because they don't actually think the current season is shit, theyre just saying that to sound cool or w/e
Jun 9, 2019 6:44 AM

Nov 2011
Older anime is limited and you can finish all of them.

Jun 9, 2019 6:45 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well the current season does indeed suck but I’ve spent the my time watching Three Kingdoms instead of anime lately so that works too
Jun 9, 2019 6:45 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Seasonals are trendy and relevant. When you're prioritizing the hobby itself less than how trendy and relevant you are with the hobby, then the idea of doing something that isn't trendy or relevant isn't even going to be taken into consideration.

Jun 9, 2019 6:46 AM

Oct 2015
cause people dont actually want to watch anime lul
people also dont want quality anyways , if they really do they would wait for BDs
but that defeats the purpose and tbeir entire existance for watching anime
so they wont
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jun 9, 2019 6:46 AM
Apr 2016
I'm so occupied with older anime that I barely find any time to watch seasonals, yet I'm still watching many seasonals. There's too much stuff to watch, and until I'm done with everything I've always wanted to watch, I won't start watching seasonals consistently.
Jun 9, 2019 6:47 AM

Mar 2018
Most havent even seen the best from last 2 decades they don't know what they're missing. Telling them to watch pre 2000 is like asking them to stop masturbating they would like to do it but they cant
poop
Jun 9, 2019 6:47 AM

Jul 2007
Lol that's actually what I'm doing now.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jun 9, 2019 6:54 AM

Jun 2017
People do watch old anime, but they don't post in discussion threads as those discussions are inactive. So it only appears as if people are only watching seasonals. It is often fun to participate in forum discussions and you can't do that for older anime. (Because there are too many of them and the number of people watching them gets distributed).

On the other hand, there are only a number of seasonals at any given moment. Most of the seasonal anime become well known and rapidly ascend in popularity because they are showcased in all streaming media while they are airing. So generally people prefer watching these.
Jun 9, 2019 6:56 AM

Feb 2019
I do often do that though. If there's nothing interesting in the new season, I just rewatch older stuff I like. No reason to watch shitty anime that I probably won't enjoy when I could watch anime that I know is good.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Jun 9, 2019 6:56 AM

Sep 2017
If an older anime is good (which it usually is, i won't watch a no name anime when i still haven't watched evangelion for example) i often can't stop watching and it interferes with my plans, so i have to wait for a time when i have enough free time for binge watching. But seasonal anime only airs once a week, i can't binge it even if i wanted to. Therefore i can watch these weekly anime without worrying about them being time consuming, i simply can't watch more than one episode per week. So for me a weak season like fall 2018 means watching only a few anime for an entire season, whereas a strong one (winter and spring 2019) means watching several shows without worrying about my time.
Jun 9, 2019 6:59 AM
Jul 2018

I am watching a mix of both old and new and I am enjoying it. There's a lot of older stuff I have seen most of, but not all of , hence not listing it and so thinking about rewatching those.
I won't go as far as to rewatch Dragonball though lol I loved it as a kid but I don't think I can stomach a 10 minute recap every episode anymore.
Jun 9, 2019 7:02 AM

Jan 2009
also old anime shows from the 70s and 80s have too many episodes to watch, i just happen to watch those as a kid on TV back in the 1990s but now i prefer short series or even just anime movies except for few anime like Dragonball and Fairy Tail
Jun 9, 2019 7:10 AM

Apr 2019
The problem is that people want to stay tuned with wathever is being broadcast now. They feel the need to keep up with what is current, either due to being able to discuss it with others more easily (hey, what about yesterday's episode of ___?), or just to feel like they are part of the latest trend. It feels that this happens more frequently with younger people.

Also, some people dislike older animation for whatever reason. Still, I claim that old animes age way better than old videogames, that have gameplay problems, different controller design and stuff like that. Some have amazing, uniqie art styles, even for their era.

There is also the problem of availability - sometimes, older animes simply can't be found, despite a wide search. It happens more to unpopular shows, though.

Those who refuse to watch older animes should just give them a shot, there are some (many, I'd say) precious gems among them.
Pike27Jun 9, 2019 7:14 AM
Jun 9, 2019 7:19 AM

May 2014
I always tend to be watching an already completed anime alongside seasonal shows.
Jun 9, 2019 7:24 AM

Nov 2014
deg said:

That one tend to be the excuse they always gave me when i recomend older shows. I hate it so much when it happens that once i get really mad.
Jun 9, 2019 8:28 AM

Oct 2014
If by older you mean non-airing, pretty sure a majority of people already do that. If by older you mean old in age, it doesn't really matter as long as they're watching something they want to watch.

Complaining about the current season and watching non-airing/old anime are't mutually exclusive. You can do both.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 9, 2019 9:18 AM

Nov 2017
GERXjakobson said:
I watch older Anime. Most people don't like them because the animation looks old and they got no pretty colors. Both arguments are bullcrap.

Arguments? You mean opinions and taste

plz @ me
Jun 9, 2019 9:24 AM
Apr 2019
The one I want to watch is not translated in English :> ( Miracle Giants Doumu-kun )

And I don't know why people like seasonal stuff, I like watching the older stuff because I can binge watch the episodes without having to wait each week for a new episode.

I did that Ace of The Diamond Act II and it sucks having to wait for the story to continue.

But with Hunter x Hunter for example, its already has all its episodes :> ( until they pull a second season )

But as most people said, its a conversation starter and its the trend. It sucks going to an anime discussion post and seeing the latest comments on an anime you are now watching go from 2 Months ago - 1 Year ago - 3 Years ago and so on. Feels like you were a bit late to the party and have to wait 5 months for another opinion. My idea.
Jun 9, 2019 12:32 PM

May 2014
Good point, idk why people don't, gives them a good opportunity to find stuff they might love.
Jun 9, 2019 12:45 PM

Aug 2016
I do, but I normally don't find seasons complete shit. Only time I had to do it was Winter 2018 when there was nothing interesting for me.
Jun 9, 2019 1:01 PM

Dec 2012
Because the people who complain about the current season obviously can't be bothered to do any simple online research (otherwise they'd be watching something in the current season), so they'd have even more difficulty finding older series.

Anyhow, yeah, I both follow the current season and check out completed titles as well, usually between seasons.
KruszerJun 9, 2019 1:08 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 9, 2019 1:03 PM

May 2018
But the current season is not terrible. It has Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki.
Jun 9, 2019 1:04 PM

Dec 2018
I prefer older anime generally and i do watch it but seasonals can have something to offer. Just this year we had Mob Psycho II which I think is a great show
Jun 9, 2019 1:13 PM
Feb 2019
I started watching Neon Genesis Evangelion and so far, so good, also watched Blue Gender as well, but I simply can't get into older animes for a longer period even though I know some shows are pretty shit nowadays.
Jun 9, 2019 1:22 PM
Jul 2018
Lunilah said:
If by older you mean non-airing, pretty sure a majority of people already do that. If by older you mean old in age, it doesn't really matter as long as they're watching something they want to watch.

Complaining about the current season and watching non-airing/old anime are't mutually exclusive. You can do both.
Exactly what I wanted to say. One can use this time to catch up on all the shows on their Plan to Watch list. Why does it have to be older (in age) anime?
Jun 9, 2019 1:41 PM
Mar 2018
I'm also making the argument that season anime (like current airing) is more relevant, there's a lot more to talk about when something's new

Older anime of course has the problem with being the opposite side of the coin - no one is talking about these shows, anyone whose had a chance to watch them likely know quite a bit about them now or any kind of fandom has moved on to a newer show

I still think there is a place to talk about older anime though - 80's or even 00's (which I believe many members here are more familiar with 00's) just make a thread on "retro" anime, make recs or spark conversation about the ones everyone remembers, just cause they are old doesn't mean no one at all wants to talk about them
Jun 9, 2019 3:37 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I mean most of casual watchers are 9gaggers type.

They watch stuff that is trending, then by that fan or shittalk the show. And also they create bait threads or bring useless conflict to existing threads/topics. Just in spite it for the most of the time. Rather than creating discussions with actual theme, they just hate something for no reason or just out of spite to bait out fans.

You know.. the typical type that like putting foot in front of someone without being noticed and then laugh at them.

Point being that most viewers are mostly rather modern day casuals 9gagger type of kids. Thus they copy-paste stupid threads and whine in pointless stuff.

In this case. "modern/this season Anime sucks.. why they make such crap" etc.. threads are prime example. I mean.. there are good and bad shows every season, every year, every decade. And whenever it's bad or good is up to viewers personal taste.

So instead of searching something they would enjoy more likely. They spend their time shittalking instead.

And same way are any of popular products. The more popular is something, the bigger is hatebase as well.

So they either make these threads to trigger people and enjoy their suffering or anger.
Or they are simply moronic enough to complain instead of searching for type of Anime they would enjoy.
Selection pool is giant.. there are plenty of Anime out there for any taste.

TDLR: It's on of these topics/threads that are usually started by "modern day 9gagger" type of kids.
The X (anime, story, character, concept etc..) + "is bad/crap etc.." threads.
Jun 9, 2019 4:49 PM

Feb 2019
Probably they don't think they'd enjoy older the animation quality and style and also want to be in on mainstream talk about airing shows.
Jun 9, 2019 5:01 PM

Jan 2019
I don't like binging anime, seasonals are only one episode a week. No matter how bad a season is, there will at least be one decent anime anyways. People just exaggerate.
Jun 10, 2019 10:57 PM

Jun 2017
Because we don't have any shit seasons and there is always good seasonal shows.
Jun 10, 2019 10:57 PM

Sep 2018
cuz they’re dumb that’s why lol
Jun 10, 2019 11:06 PM
Aug 2018
The seosonals aren't really that bad, there will always be a good show to watch.
Jun 11, 2019 12:49 AM

May 2009
assyrian said:
most people who watch seasonals are not watching it for the quality. most are just doing it for water cooler talk or something similar.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

Asaid16 said:
I don't like binging anime, seasonals are only one episode a week. No matter how bad a season is, there will at least be one decent anime anyways. People just exaggerate.
You can do it like me; I neither binge nor watch seasonals. I watch maybe 1-3 eps a night, when I watch at all, and I usually stop for a while after I finish something.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 11, 2019 1:54 AM

Dec 2018
The after debate at the water cooler as mention above, One of reason why i enjoy seasonal anime .We all have Strong thoughts and opinions and want to express them , I love to read different observations then my own and to see how other valuates things that occurs in the anime .The older anime thread are more then less dead ,seasonal are alive and fun as hell
Jun 11, 2019 1:57 AM
Mar 2018
Lol I dont even care if the current season is shit or not, I watch older anime all the time
Jun 11, 2019 2:15 AM

Nov 2016
Same here I really don't understand how talking about an average show became better than watching an actually great one
Jun 11, 2019 2:23 AM
Mar 2019
I have a pretty simple rule that no matter how a season is I will be watching at least one older anime. I am watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes right now and it is the best anime I have ever watched.
Jun 11, 2019 2:26 AM
Nov 2017
For one of people that said anime this days is sh*t (well, maybe this year and 2018 is obviously not, considering that we got a lot of great anime in last 2 years), I'm not like I haven't watch older anime. I already did. Not all of them, of course, but some high quality like great teacher onizuka, hellsing, One Piece, Naruto (maybe it can be said as old, or maybe not. I don't know), Inuyasha, and a lot of them.

I don't know about people out there, but I will think they are the same as me. Just because a lot of people said now a days anime is sh*t, that doesn't mean that we haven't seen old anime. In fact, we want to look the golden age of anime again (well, again...the last 2 years for anime is so good, maybe we already get that again).
Jun 11, 2019 2:43 AM

Apr 2018
What do you mean when u say older anime?
Because technically 2018 is older than 2019, so watching shows from 2018 is already "watching older anime".
In that case I think more or less everyone does that. As relevant as sesonals are, I don't think anyone only limits himself to seasonals.
I have never found an anime season I'd define as shit, but I usually watch 6/7 shows per season, so I have enough time to check something "older" (even though what I usually watch is produced in the last 10/12 years, so it's not that old)
vhagar8Jun 11, 2019 2:49 AM
Jun 11, 2019 4:49 AM

Feb 2015
When you watch seasonals, you know tons of people are watching the same thing as you are at the "same time", which makes it inherently easier to discuss/share your experience. You can check most anime's episode's discussion threads to check that most comment in those are written when a show airs. Recent anime has the whole community watching and discussing them, while only a handful of people really dig or go out of their way to give old shows a chance.

So yeah, I believe the lack of social aspect surrounding older shows, along with the all too common bias that newer is better are responsible for that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

29 by juanlqr »»
1 minute ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 1 hour ago

15 by PostMahouShoujo »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 3 hours ago

13 by Ricchan__ »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
11 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

167 by Coaghim »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.