Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever struggled to decide how to rate an anime for a longer period of time?

New
Jun 9, 2019 4:19 AM

Oct 2018
Has it ever happened to you that you finished an anime, and after that you couldn't decide how to rate it in a few minutes at most?

Like it took you an hour/hours/even a day/more, to decide whether you should rate the given anime 9 or 10 / 7 or 8, etc...
Jun 9, 2019 4:26 AM
Oct 2018
No, it doesn't take me too long to make up my mind. But sometimes I am not entirely satisfied with my rating and my thoughts about it change and so my ratings change too.
--
Jun 9, 2019 4:36 AM
Feb 2014
Yes, lately i can't make up my mind what to rate a anime, i took about a month to decide what to rate 91 days, even more for Zoku Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru, now i can't decide whatever to give Cheer Danshi!! a 8 or a 9.....:/
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jun 9, 2019 4:40 AM

Oct 2017
I don't take scores seriously. I don't waste my time thinking about what score I should give. I just rate based on how I feel. So I don't struggle at scoring shows.
Jun 9, 2019 8:50 AM

Mar 2015
Kinda? I used to change scores all the time, especially shortly after I finished a show. The solution I came up with is to stop rating completely.
Jun 9, 2019 9:03 AM

May 2009
I don't even bother forcing myself to rate stuff, so I have a number of unrated completed series in my list. Some are shorts or other things I'll never rate, but others are shows I could rate but haven't yet.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 9, 2019 9:04 AM

Sep 2018
Not really, if I do disagree with a rating later on, then all I do is just change it.
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Jun 9, 2019 9:08 AM

Mar 2012
Only once so far with Ima soko ni iru Boku. Since I really didn't know what to think of it after completing it I didn't rate it at all.
Jun 9, 2019 9:36 AM

Apr 2019
I´m still trying to figure it out if I rated right every single anime I ´ve rated.
Jun 9, 2019 9:57 AM

Oct 2014
After an anime sometimes I'll be stuck between two ratings and choose one, but then change it to the other one later. I usually don't think about it for too long, but sometimes I think about it in the back of my head or even come across it and think "did I really give that anime that rating? This needs to be changed".
Jun 9, 2019 10:47 AM

Nov 2016
Usually I tend to know which score to give a show by the time I get to the last ep. But I also sometimes go back on them many times over especially after taking the time to think about them a little more or after a rewatch.
Jun 9, 2019 10:51 AM

Oct 2014
Rating hasn't been a problem for me, the only thing that takes considerable amount of time for me is whether or not something is a favorite. Like how much do i care about it after i watch something, how often to i return to it in any capacity, how often i talk about it, how much of an impact it had on me, all kinds of variables.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 9, 2019 11:04 AM

Aug 2011
I usually don't think about my ratings for more than 30 seconds. I just go with whatever I feel at the time. I figure I can always go back and change it later if I need to, though I've only done this a handful of times.
Jun 9, 2019 11:21 AM
Feb 2012
some people spend more time on their scores than they do watching the damn media they are giving those scores to
lol no you're not that important and neither are your numbers
Jun 9, 2019 11:25 AM

Nov 2016
Thinking about it too much is not worth the trouble, if I feel different about later then I will simply lower/raise the score.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 9, 2019 12:06 PM

Nov 2015
Yes, especially since I'm currently in the process of overhauling my scoring system. I can usually decide on a score to give it right away, but I'm going through my entire list and re-scoring everything, so often times I have more trouble deciding on what score to move it to. Especially if it's a movie or special or OVA.
Jun 9, 2019 12:07 PM

Oct 2015
No. I rate it how I feel in the moment of just finishing it
Jun 9, 2019 12:11 PM

May 2019
Nightmare21st said:
No. I rate it how I feel in the moment of just finishing it

Yes. But then you look back and realize maybe I overrated it because when you are watching it if the show is enjoyable. It tend to cover its plot hole. For example Code Geaas. I loved the show when I watched it. Now when I look back I see plot holes and glaring issues that I didn't look when I was watching it.
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Jun 9, 2019 1:15 PM

Dec 2018
I often change my ratings for a show when I experience something that does it better. I also change stuff in hindsight sometimes.
Jun 9, 2019 4:19 PM

Jan 2013
Yes it happens sometimes, in such cases I don't rate at all because I hate overthinking scores.
Jun 9, 2019 4:32 PM

Jan 2018
Yeah, way too many times actually. I've revamped my entire scoring system multiple times because of this, but I finally settled on a method that works really well for me, so I don't have that issue quite as often anymore. I have pretty easily discernible criteria for each number now.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jun 13, 2019 5:09 AM

Aug 2018
Yes. I changed my scores a lot of times. The ones I have right now are alright with me at the moment.
Jun 13, 2019 6:20 AM

Jul 2016
I usually rate several days or even weeks after finishing it. When you just finish the show, you tend to rate it higher since the emotion is still very fresh. I used to change my scores alot but I don't bother as much nowadays. I still haven't figure out a fixed method yet, so I might change it once I find one I'm happy with.
Jun 13, 2019 6:37 AM

Aug 2018
I don't take rating too seriously, so it doesn't take me long at all to decide. I wish throw a .5 on the end of some ratings though.
Jun 13, 2019 6:44 AM

Aug 2018
Never had that problem actually! I usually rate 7-10 for most of the anime. Only horrible anime like Mars of Destruction get a clean 1 score from me.
Jun 13, 2019 6:57 AM

Mar 2013
No, I didn't take serious about rating the anime since I usually look the ending.
Jun 13, 2019 6:58 AM

Oct 2008
It happened to me twice, once in 2012 with "Btoom",for several years I was going to lower it's score from 9/10 to 8/10, but ended up not going through with it.

The second time was with "Domestic na Kanojo" should I rate it 10/10, or did a 9/10 suffice. I decided to go with the 1st option, this only lasted for a week however.
Jun 13, 2019 7:57 AM
May 2018
I've been trying to be better about recording what I watch on MAL so I find myself thinking of what to rate WHILE I'm watching actually. Itll be funny for a bit or hit some feels and I'll be like "Looking good. At an 8 so far" then they'll hit you with some far too drawn out pointless fan service in a show not meant for that and I'll mentally lower it to a 7 then they'll hit with a solid plot twist that they hinted at and I didnt even catch and itll go up again. By the end I'll usually have a good idea of what to rate it but sometimes I will have to mull over it like an extra minute especially cause they hit you the hardest often at the end so you're left feeling good about it and I need to go back and look at it as a whole not just for a good ending. I'm usually really forgiving with my ratings especially cause MALs descriptive words for each number are weird anyways so it's not like the ratings mean that much. Like if I think a show is good but not necessarily special I could give it a 7 cause its what's titled good but someone else could give it a 5 because they think it was good but nothing special so it translates to average. Also if you look at it as star ratings a 5/10 sounds like it's awful and a 7/10 sounds pretty good but not great. Tldr: I dont think of rating numbers that much but there was what I it least find a funny story of what MAL is doing to me and I dont think ratings are really important to mull too much over. If anything my ratings are just to line up with my own inner system so I can see what I thought of stuff later so I dont care about being too precise or whatever about what I think it deserves.
Jun 13, 2019 8:05 AM
Shattered Angel

Mar 2015
Every time I finish an anime, I only mark it as completed on MAL. I take at least the next 24 hours to think and reflect on the show. I then go back and give it a rating. I like the system and it's a good way for me to stop myself from making hasty rating decisions in the heat of the moment.
Jun 13, 2019 8:09 AM

Jun 2010
I don't think I have any problem with rating, however I do make changes intermittently as I watch. After the entire anime series is finished, I will then analyse properly before I finalise the rating.

Why do you struggle with rating? What obstacles have you stumbled on that cause the struggle?
Jun 13, 2019 8:39 AM

Jun 2016
It certainly depends, certain shows reek of their scores, even in their early episodes (Tailenders), and sometimes Id like to let something sit before I score it ('Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei', and 'Redline' as recent examples). Often I'll rearrange scores after I finish shows because its fun to mess with the table, and sometimes shows will make me reevaluate scores of others.
Don_FurretJun 13, 2019 4:29 PM

More topics from this board

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 48 minutes ago

7 by deg »»
1 minute ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

81 by BilboBaggins365 »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

83 by FanofAction »»
4 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

50 by Bruh69XD »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

28 by deg »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.