Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 8, 2019 2:45 PM
May 2019
I recently discovered that Isekai was the name of a genre I love. Are there any genres with similar themes minus the "hero from another world". For example, what would be a good starting point to find anime that deals with game mechanics such as levels and skills? Is that sort of thing unique to the Isekai genre? I'm trying to build up a good foundation and searching for stuff like this usually just leads to things like "top 15 Isekai". Any help would be appreciated.
“I’m not going there to die. I’m going there to find out if I’m really alive.”

- Spike Spiegel
Jun 8, 2019 2:49 PM

May 2009
So are you basically looking for fantasy shows that involve some sort of game mechanic to them?

I think you might as well just search for the fantasy genre in general, and look for ones that resemble stereotypical JRPGs.

I think that series about picking up girls in a dungeon involves RPG mechanics without involving actual isekai. Not sure.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 8, 2019 2:53 PM
May 2019
@GlennMagusHarvey I actually just finished Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? today :) I've kinda run the gambit on Isekai so I'm just trying to see if any other similar genres are out there. I thought there would be more than there actually was. So I kinda put myself into a corner.

- Spike Spiegel
Jun 8, 2019 2:55 PM

Oct 2017
These things usually don't come on genres, to get something similar to an Isekai but without bein an Isekai i would say you need to search a lot of animes with the Tags of "Sci-fi", "Seinen", "Shounen", i've seen some Shounen/Seinen that come close to the "game mechanics" theme of isekais like for example Btoom (I actually read the manga not the anime :P) but you usually have to see many animes before finding one.

In short, nope, at least none that i'm aware of.
But you can ask for recommendations of animes that fulfill that description.

Jun 8, 2019 2:56 PM

Feb 2013
here are some similar genres to isekai
multi-isekai (tsubasa chronicles, yamibou)
reverse isekai (gabriel dropout, azazel san)
Jun 8, 2019 2:57 PM

Apr 2018
Most Isekai are basically just typical "Fantasy/Adventure"-genre based works with the added fluff of "OP vicarious avatar protagonist + Harem"

Just look up that genre and you should be set.
Jun 8, 2019 3:05 PM

Oct 2014
It's a sub genre of fantasy. Most of the plots are no different at all.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 8, 2019 3:07 PM

May 2009
Reaper_We_Are said:
@GlennMagusHarvey I actually just finished Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? today :) I've kinda run the gambit on Isekai so I'm just trying to see if any other similar genres are out there. I thought there would be more than there actually was. So I kinda put myself into a corner.
Looking at the tags for that series on Anime-Planet, the RPG tag seems most relevant to your request:

These anime were designed to feel like or parody or a role-playing game (RPG), and aren't necessarily based on a specific video game. Common themes include characters that level up, visit armories and shops to purchase equipment, use disposable items, and fight monsters.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 8, 2019 3:12 PM
May 2019
Oh thanks for that! Looks like there's a lot of stuff on there :D

- Spike Spiegel

More topics from this board

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

29 by Ratris_Decision »»
28 seconds ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

87 by Gator »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

32 by Ratris_Decision »»
5 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 11 hours ago

18 by Gator »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Apr 23

21 by Rakish97 »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.