Forum Settings
Forums

What do you like about manga? Did you have trouble enjoying it at first?

New
Jun 5, 2019 4:53 PM

Jun 2014
I tried reading left to right.
I tried reading right to left.
I don't get it. I really tried to enjoy the manga since binbougami ga and claymore does not have a second season, but it did not work out for me. I also tried a few pages of attack of titan.

To be honest, I always disliked reading short stories and novels. Maybe it is just me, not the manga.
Did you have trouble enjoying manga at first?
Jun 5, 2019 6:32 PM

Feb 2019
I like reading Manga because I can read it at my own pace

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 5, 2019 6:43 PM

Apr 2013
I like manga because sometimes it's almost impossible or the negligence of the studio to completely adapt a manga or some of its potentially better aspects such as art, atmosphere, or sublimity. I used to think that anime was far superior to anime, but over time I came to see what makes manga such a great narrative medium when compared to anime and some of anime's limitations.
Jun 6, 2019 7:11 AM
Feb 2015
I like manga because you can read at your own pace and not have to deal with non-cannon filler. It just takes some getting used to. Besides, it's pretty much the only way to enjoy Berserk.
Jun 6, 2019 7:39 AM

Jun 2010
I have been an anime viewer right from the start. Watching anime has been a good entertainment for me. I did not have any issue till I watched Claymore where I realised that the anime did not do justice to the story. The series ended abruptly and left a big hole to the storyline. I was very confused and then I found out that the manga was still ongoing. That was how I got into reading manga.

I have always thought that manga may not be as interesting as anime as the latter has action, sound and graphic effects, music, and all in all, everything comes to live, while manga is only based on drawing.

While I was left with confusion with Claymore, I decided to try manga, and surprisingly it was very interesting. I got so engrossed with it that I couldn't stop reading. Well, I eventually started to read other series and has continued till this day.

One of the differences between manga and anime, the latter has to pace according to the manga and they can't move forward too fast. Then the introduction of fillers and non-manga episodes to fill in the air time which seem to invade frequently to many long series.

I don't think I have problem with enjoying manga, and obviously I am also watching anime, almost like concurrently, switching from one to the other as I like. :)
Jun 8, 2019 5:06 PM
Aug 2008
I enjoy it because not only because I can read it at my own pace, much like it has been stated here before, but also because I like drawn art. I've always preferred drawn art first, and animation second, for the most part.

Plus, I also like how with manga, you're getting the pure story as it was intended, unless it's an adaption of a preexisting anime. One thing about a lot of anime that I've seen, they either leave a whole lot out of the story, or they add a whole bunch of unnecessary filler in order to allow the manga to catch up. I always found the anime version of Akira to be confusing until I read the manga, and it was then I realized that the reason it was so confusing it because it only adapted maybe a third of the story, and the rest was left on the chopping block. Maybe it they had made it a full series, maybe it would have been less confusing of a film.

I found it easy to get into them, though the first manga I read was a left-to-right style (it was the Dark Horse printing of Akira). When I got my first right-to-left format, it was a little awkward at first, but now I can read it no problem and actually don't really notice, honestly. I never really had trouble with it, though, I found manga easier to get into than I did with American comics (I enjoy both now, but it was only within the past year or two that I had gotten into American comics).
Jun 22, 2019 6:06 PM

Jul 2017
the best thing about manga is that you get to build up the world within the story with your own imagination/creativity
on top of that manga is much more detailed and i think it's a matter of convinence that you are able to carry them anywhere with you and you can read them anytime whenever you feel like
Jul 1, 2019 7:11 PM
Dec 2013
I was first introduced to manga when I was 7, so I started reading before I began watching animes (not including anime for kids that was on TV). I was so amazed about the artform and that you could get surprised with every pageturn. But since I started with manga and not anime, it might be easier than other way around.
Jul 12, 2019 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, at first I found it quite difficult reading manga. Just found I could do no more than 10 chapters before needing to stop, and I was so slow at reading it that it felt like it was just consuming so much of my day and night away.

Not really sure how it happened, but I just got more serious about reading manga, and now I read through volumes of manga in no time. I think some people like us have a hard time starting off at new things, but overtime it kind of just works in on its own, but it takes an actual desire to become more committed at things like manga-reading.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1053 by Alexioos95 »»
4 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

22 by Jutrio »»
4 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

35 by Lucifrost »»
6 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

375 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
Yesterday, 2:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.