Forum Settings
Forums

spending money on free2play games: "Fortnite is free, but kids are getting bullied into spending money"

New
do you spend a lot of money on free2play?
Jun 3, 2019 6:43 PM

Sep 2018
inspired by this article: https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/7/18534431/fortnite-rare-default-skins-bullying-harassment

do you spend a lot of monies on free2play games? This also goes for mobile games.
I mainly play LoL and I've never actually wanted a skin so bad to want to spend money getting it.

do you spend money on free2play games? are you envious of those that can/do? any comments? discuss
Jun 4, 2019 2:48 PM

Jul 2017
I once spent $40 on Battlefield play for free and that's about it.

Never really like the idea of having to pay additional for extra content (most of which should've been included from the start), cosmetic or not. Unless it's absolutely worth the price like Witcher 3's Blood and Wine or Battlefield 3's Close Quarters lel
Jun 4, 2019 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
I don't, but I see nothing bad with it. Game developers need to eat. If they give you a game for free and you enjoy it, why would you not give them some money, especially when it also gives you benefits in-game?
Jun 4, 2019 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
Aldnox said:
I don't, but I see nothing bad with it. Game developers need to eat. If they give you a game for free and you enjoy it, why would you not give them some money, especially when it also gives you benefits in-game?

i only see something wrong with it when they take advantage of people e.g. use it as a way to bypass obscene amounts of grinding, P2W, etc

(thats like 99% of F2P games though lmao)

i only spend money on a F2P game if the game without spending money is enjoyable and gives you an acceptable amount of resources, something like hearthstone for example that tries to frustrate you into spending real money by giving you a pathetically small amount of resources i wouldnt spend money on, and that is the industry standard
Jun 4, 2019 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
xMx16 said:
Aldnox said:

i only see something wrong with it when they take advantage of people e.g. use it as a way to bypass obscene amounts of grinding, P2W, etc

(thats like 99% of F2P games though lmao)

i only spend money on a F2P game if the game without spending money is enjoyable and gives you an acceptable amount of resources, something like hearthstone for example that tries to frustrate you into spending real money by giving you a pathetically small amount of resources i wouldnt spend money on, and that is the industry standard
I don't see anything wrong with that either in most cases. If you're at a stage where that kind of thing becomes a problem, you've probably played the game enough to justify giving it some money. You don't have to though, you can still keep playing.

I don't mind "pay-to-win" in a single player/PvE game. In a multiplayer/PvP game, depends on how much it affects the gameplay. If the single factor that determines whether you win or not is money spent (which is not in 99% of cases) then yeah that sucks.

Overall depends on how much money you have to spend. People love bitching about having to buy shared bank in Elsword, but you don't really need it unless you're really serious about the game, at which point why wouldn't you give them $12 if you like it so much?
Jun 4, 2019 3:57 PM

Jan 2013
I have never spent even a single cent on a F2P game.
Jun 4, 2019 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
Well I used to spend quite a lot, like 4 or 5 years ago. Whenever I have some remaining money left from my allowance I'll use that to buy in-game stuff, but not anymore.
Jun 4, 2019 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
Short_Circut said:

Never really like the idea of having to pay additional for extra content (most of which should've been included from the start), cosmetic or not. Unless it's absolutely worth the price like Witcher 3's Blood and Wine or Battlefield 3's Close Quarters lel

Well they have to make money somehow, if everything was free from the start, cosmetics or not, either 1. the game will be filled with ads literally everywhere, or 2. gaming industry would collapse, especially the online/multiplayer games.

Making money off of cosmetics as long as it's not a P2W is fine imo
Jun 4, 2019 4:44 PM

Nov 2018
I don't spend money in F2P games, only exception is LoL where I spent about 20€ and that's all. Cosmetic items give no benefit and aren't making your game easier or better in any way in my opinion.
Chinese mobile games are mostly P2W in my experience. They are aimed towards that market knowing they will spend a lot of money on it.
Developers of F2P games have to make money somehow as well, so it's understandable they have things you could buy.
Jun 4, 2019 4:59 PM

Jul 2017
Gythia said:
Short_Circut said:

Well they have to make money somehow, if everything was free from the start, cosmetics or not, either 1. the game will be filled with ads literally everywhere, or 2. gaming industry would collapse, especially the online/multiplayer games.

Making money off of cosmetics as long as it's not a P2W is fine imo

which is why I said if the content is worth it then I don't mind. Unfortunately, we see a lot of times where the base game comes with fuk all content for base price, and further content gets charged at usually unreasonable amounts

Keep in mind though the percentage of users who actively purchase microtransactions compared to the rest of the player base is relatively small. Especially for bigger companies like EA, not having microtransactions isn't going to suddenly bankrupt them. So no, the gaming industry wouldn't really collapse, besides it's not like SP games are nonexistent (Spider-man, Breath of the Wild, God of War etc.). And online games wouldn't take too much of a hit either like racing games such as GT Sport or Assetto Corsa have fully functional online yet no microtransaction (well the former does but not to a high extent).

Assuming you were just referring to F2P games only though, then I can see it becoming a slight issue. Again though if you're generating ad revenue from millions of players, lowering the importance of microtransactions isn't going to be the end of the world

I do agree with the idea that cosmetics are fair game to have microtransactions, but the problem lies with the way they do it really. Like if it's something like Fortnite (haven't actually played it so going off what I heard) where you can buy skins directly, then sure gg, but when you have cases like Black Ops 4 where they literally charge you a dollar for a basic red dot sight, it's just taking the piss
Jun 4, 2019 5:13 PM

Jan 2009
my brother spend at least $20-$30 dollars so far in DOTA2 and CSGO buying those cosmetics
Jun 4, 2019 5:14 PM
Jul 2018
Aldnox said:
I don't see anything wrong with that either in most cases. If you're at a stage where that kind of thing becomes a problem, you've probably played the game enough to justify giving it some money. You don't have to though, you can still keep playing.

I don't mind "pay-to-win" in a single player/PvE game. In a multiplayer/PvP game, depends on how much it affects the gameplay. If the single factor that determines whether you win or not is money spent (which is not in 99% of cases) then yeah that sucks.

Overall depends on how much money you have to spend. People love bitching about having to buy shared bank in Elsword, but you don't really need it unless you're really serious about the game, at which point why wouldn't you give them $12 if you like it so much?

well its only a "problem" for the players, i mean ultimately the companies can kinda do what they want the problem is if you dont like the grind for 10000 hours or pay model then it takes games that could be good and makes them unappealing

for example i actually think the gameplay/concept of hearthstone is pretty cool and might (and used to) play it, but i realized pretty quickly you aint getting SHIT without shelling out super hard (as far as competitive decks go, especially cause at the time i was playing a lot of good cards were locked behind paid only dungeons), and the grind for a single pack is completely insane (30 WINS per pack). meanwhile on yugioh duel links, a game i enjoy the gameplay of more, of all my king of games (highest rank) ive gotten it with totally F2P decks, last month used 2x copies of an in-game structure deck which cost under 10$, etc. and on top of that, in game you get a shitload of packs/free cards just from playing. i find im a lot more motivated to spend a little extra on something i find interesting in a game like that where you can do so much without spending anything vs hearthstone i havent touched in years

but i do agree, if its something that only costs like 12$ and you like the game so much and have gotten a lot out of it, then a small investment shouldnt be too much of an issue
Jun 4, 2019 5:35 PM
Jul 2018
Short_Circut said:
Keep in mind though the percentage of users who actively purchase microtransactions compared to the rest of the player base is relatively small. Especially for bigger companies like EA, not having microtransactions isn't going to suddenly bankrupt them. So no, the gaming industry wouldn't really collapse, besides it's not like SP games are nonexistent (Spider-man, Breath of the Wild, God of War etc.). And online games wouldn't take too much of a hit either like racing games such as GT Sport or Assetto Corsa have fully functional online yet no microtransaction (well the former does but not to a high extent).

Assuming you were just referring to F2P games only though, then I can see it becoming a slight issue. Again though if you're generating ad revenue from millions of players, lowering the importance of microtransactions isn't going to be the end of the world

It seems like we're not really on the same page here, I should've clarified a bit more mb, I was talking about the F2P games on PC, the ones you can download for free (Fortnite, League Of Legends, Apex, DOTA 2, etc). Console games wouldn't really die if microtransactions were to disappear since they make their revenue off of people buying their game, and mobile games generate revenue from ads.

Jun 4, 2019 5:41 PM

Oct 2017
I don't see a problem as far as it's not P2W.
I spend money in some cosmetics sometimes.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Jun 4, 2019 6:26 PM

Dec 2016
I've spent a decent amount on some mobile games, though it's mostly been from money that was given to me as gifts. Nothing wrong with it if you enjoy it.

For Fortnite in particular, I don't play it that often, but I think the way they do it is fine. All the things you pay for are cosmetic only, and there are also some skins you can get only through gameplay and not through purchases (not 100% sure on this though). Obviously I would prefer it if there were no microtransactions in these types of games, but if the game itself gets to be free in exchange for cosmetic-only microtransactions, then I'm not going to complain too much.

What's the difference?
Jun 4, 2019 7:23 PM

Oct 2015
deg said:
my brother spend at least $20-$30 dollars so far in DOTA2 and CSGO buying those cosmetics
as long as it's not opening cases, it's better that way lol
Jun 4, 2019 7:25 PM

Jan 2009
EGOIST said:
deg said:
as long as it's not opening cases, it's better that way lol

yep he only buys on the steam market, like he already have 500 pesos ($10) ready for the upcoming immortals on DOTA2
Jun 4, 2019 9:05 PM

Feb 2015
gimme those 10/10 cosmetics that won't inherently, drastically make me a better player >w<
Jun 4, 2019 9:22 PM

Jul 2009
I'm embarrassed to admit that all the money I've burned on League of Legends could have probably fed an entire continent. There's just something about F2P games that pull you into shilling money for them, which is part of the reason why I stopped playing MOBAs and gachas a while back.
Jun 4, 2019 9:53 PM

Aug 2009
Bought a physical copy of TERA Online for $17 when I was really into the game in 2014, and I probably spent about $30 in Warframe in total between it's earlier beta builds in 2013, and the last time I played it which was probably in 2016.

Jun 4, 2019 10:49 PM

Dec 2017
I once spent ~$40 on the special version of Elemental Lux. Not that I really play Lux much. Looks pretty cool I guess.

My problem with a lot of mobile f2p games is the invisible paywall that is there. You play for a little bit and you hit a wall (i.e. artificially harder CPU, slower progression, insane grind, etc.) Hence why I don't really like mobile gaming in general.

Plus I'd rather spend $60 and get a good PC game from Steam anyways.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Jun 5, 2019 9:03 AM

Feb 2019
Aldnox said:

Fortnite's making money, though.

I could see this argument with Overwatch. They won't release player numbers, everybody has enough gold to get the 1-2 good skins that come out per event, and every time they try to revitalize the game with more maps they have players saying "VHERE ARE THE MAPS LEBOWSKI?" one week later
Jun 5, 2019 10:43 AM

Apr 2015
The most I spent in a F2P game was $45 for two premium tanks in War Thunder.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 5, 2019 11:30 AM

Jan 2019
Tropisch said:
The most I spent in a F2P game was $45 for two premium tanks in War Thunder.

In the same boat. Spent about the same for a couple premiums in World of Tanks. My inner tank-hipster just had to have that Hungarian tank.

Unrelated: Haruka is a damn fine waifu.
Jun 5, 2019 12:28 PM

Mar 2015
I've spent 200+ € on League in the span on 5~ years and don't really regret it because that game has brought me more enjoyment than 90% of games I've bought. For me it's basically I'll spend money on a game which I enjoy and play alot because I want to show my support to the developers for giving me the chance to play a game I like for free while also getting some perks for myself. I also spent some money on shitty asian mmorpgs when I was younger. Luckily I learned from my mistakes without doing too much damage to my funds while wasting money on those shitty p2w games.

The only f2p games where I won't spend money no matter what are gacha games. I LOVE fgo but I know I can't control my gambling habits so spending money on the gacha is a big no no for me. There's also the rng factor and the fact that my funds aren't unlimited so yeah.

So yes, I'm prefectly willing to spend money on f2p games. I just have my own checklist the game has to meet before I do it.
MiraiJun 5, 2019 12:33 PM
May 19, 2020 12:49 PM

Sep 2017
I have never spent a penny on f2p games
Kids getting bullied over spending money on fortnite?They should
All they know is just stealing their mom's credit card and spending the money on skins
خ
May 19, 2020 3:28 PM

Jan 2018
I bought battlepass back when I was playing dota 2, stopped after two battlepass because those skins were really ugly.

Even though agent skin is cool for cs go, affordable too but no I wouldn't spend anything cosmetic anymore. I'm not addicted to getting loot or cosmetic in game luckily which I somewhat feel.. unsettling to see many kids begging for skins online.
May 19, 2020 4:00 PM

Apr 2015
Ewwwww Polygon
As for the subject matter, I kind of do and I kinda don't.

The main F2P games that I play are TF2 and Paladins.

In TF2 I used to have a lot of cosmetics but I knew how to manipulate the market (which depending on your outlook in life is either better or worse than spending a lot of cash in cosmetics).

I bought the contracts (battle pass) for a couple of events though. All this said TF2 has the advantage of "cashing out", when I retired I sold almost all items in my acount and made some money that I originally invested into the game back.

As for Paladins I bought a package that contained all characters in beta and I purchase skons esporadically.

Generally I believe I've spent about 60 dollars in Paladins and about 30 in TF2 (Calculated after the money I made back) since I have about 500 hours in Paladins and about 1000 in TF2 I don't think it's really unfair to pay that amount when I've paid up to 80 dollars for 4 hour long games that are quite frankly horseshit.
Jun 10, 2020 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
I only bought the premium membership for an app I play constantly anyway. It removes ads, adds new content and will be valid for any future update.

Outside of that I just want to buy complete experiences.
Jun 10, 2020 4:33 PM

Nov 2016
i spent little bit of money at f2p named but actually pay to win games idk if that counts not much though.

Most money i spent is CS GO im not playing it anymore but at total i bought like 300 $ worth items then sold them and bought dota 2 items then bet and lost most of them. I sold remaining and bought games at steam. I do regret it t especially betting part.

Also spent bit money on FGO something like 120$ always on the guranteed ssr pulls though 3 times druing 2+ years play time, no regret.
Jun 13, 2020 4:00 AM

Mar 2019
Ive easily spent over 300$ on csgo skins and Tf2 hats and tbh I don't regret a thing
Jun 13, 2020 6:42 AM
May 2009
Nope. Mainly cause free to play games tend to get dull by the first week.
For mobile gacha games, I tend to get bored after 1 month so I don't see the point in spending. Also alot of the time the random gachas are rubbish or the characters don't appeal to me so end up saving alot of reward currency till something interesting shows. than I give up after getting what I wanted.
Jun 13, 2020 7:09 AM

Jun 2015
I dont even spend on games that I am meant to.

and these fp are dime a dozen, get to a p2w stage and drop it. play a new one
Jun 20, 2020 4:19 AM

Jun 2008
I think in my whole life i must have spend about 100 euro and those was mostly to enlarge my inventory in Path of Exile.
I played quite a decent amount of hours and days of that so i can't complain that i was exactly ripped off with all the hours of fun i got out of it but still i ain't happy whenever i spend anything more than $60(the price mark of buying a game) and i think i spend close to $80.

Other than that around $20 in Shadowverce. Still gave me enough play hours to excuse spending a little on it but i ain't giving it anymore.
Is just a card game i play casually i don' think i should spend a full price of game worth of cash.

In general i am happy with my ability to not fall for monetization practices and having a good self control.
Not being very interested in online games helps as well.

Another thing is my mentality about value of money spend.
For example if i play a 'free" game and they have some treasure box for $20 and other things for $40 and $80 etc etc my thought process is always how silly that is because with that money i could buy full games so the value makes no sense.

For example i spend recently $80 on a GOG sale and bought like 25 games. 25 new experiences and countless hours of play through playing all this games vs getting a skin or a nice outfit etc on a free to play game.
Yeah the value doesn't match.
Is not that am opposed to every micro-transaction, is simply that i see the pricing as ludicrous.
If i want a new skin for my gun that should be like a dollar at most not a price of a full new title. Hell some things are even as expensive as a buying a special edition of another game were you get art work books, soundtrack cd or vinil, figurines, little things like stickers and pins and nice cases etc, even codes for cosmetics or DLC etc.
So how can the value compare there?

Lets not even mention lootboxes were you spend without even knowing ytou will get what you wanted and therefore there is no price for an in game item since it could costs anything. From the price of a full game to the price of a damn new car.

More topics from this board

» 2 questions about Danganronpa series

Bright_Horn - 2 hours ago

1 by Timeline_man »»
59 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

46 by 0arche »»
3 hours ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

9 by FanofAction »»
6 hours ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - 10 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
8 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.