Forum Settings
Forums

China Invokes Abraham Lincoln in Justifying Push to Take Taiwan

New
Jun 2, 2019 4:29 PM

Oct 2017
When it comes to Taiwan, China’s generals say they are simply following the example of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln.

China’s Defense Minister Wei Fenghe on Sunday invoked Lincoln’s efforts during the U.S. Civil War to justify Beijing’s approach toward Taiwan, which it sees as an integral part of its territory that must be unified by force if necessary.

“American friends told me that Abraham Lincoln was the greatest American president because he led the country to victory in the Civil War and prevented the secession of the U.S.,” Wei said on Sunday at the Shangri-La Dialogue, a security conference in Singapore. “The U.S. is indivisible, so is China. China must be and will be reunified.”

Tensions over China and Taiwan have increased in recent months, with the U.S. regularly sailing warships through the Taiwan Strait. The Trump administration has defended the moves as demonstrations of free passage allowed by international law, while China sees them as provocations.

Wei said that China could “find no justifiable reasons” for the U.S. to get involved with China through its domestic law.

“No attempts to split China shall succeed,” he said, adding that “foreign intervention in the Taiwan question is doomed to failure.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-02/china-invokes-abraham-lincoln-in-justifying-push-to-take-taiwan

Nice quote by the Chinese defense minister, wait until they invoke James Monroe and then finally Truman.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 2, 2019 4:36 PM

Dec 2016
Lol. Unlike Lincoln, it is victory or death for Taiwan. They should be well aware what will happen should they fall to China. They will be imprisoned and cut up like cattle to be sold on the organ black market. You will find folks are much less likely to capitulate with only those options before them.
SoverignJun 2, 2019 4:41 PM
Jun 2, 2019 5:27 PM

Oct 2017
Soverign said:
Lol. Unlike Lincoln, it is victory or death for Taiwan. They should be well aware what will happen should they fall to China. They will be imprisoned and cut up like cattle to be sold on the organ black market. You will find folks are much less likely to capitulate with only those options before them.
I'm not aware of the organ black market thing though I heard about it somewhere.

Taiwan Shall fight for its own existence, if they fail they become just a little fraction of a monster population.
Nobody wants to lose its rights and representation as a majority and suddenly become a minority in a single party regime.

Jun 2, 2019 5:35 PM

Dec 2016
Fate_Saber88 said:
Soverign said:
I'm not aware of the organ black market thing though I heard about it somewhere.

Taiwan Shall fight for its own existence, if they fail they become just a little fraction of a monster population.
Nobody wants to lose its rights and representation as a majority and suddenly become a minority in a single party regime.

It is old news. There was a documentary on how at first the state supported falun gong as a healthy exercise or something ( think tai-chi or something). Then it got popular and they used it to imprison everyone who did it, seize their wealth and harvest their organs. It is cool I am sure they had low social credit anyways.
SoverignJun 2, 2019 5:38 PM
Jun 2, 2019 5:43 PM

Oct 2017
Soverign said:
Fate_Saber88 said:

It is old news. There was a documentary on how at first the state supported falun gong as a healthy exercise or something ( think tai-chi or something). Then it got popular and they used it to imprison everyone who did it, seize their wealth and harvest their organs. It is cool I am sure they had low social credit anyways.
Sounds ''cool'' maybe one day if I ever need an organ I buy some low priced Chinese liver from Taiwan.
Jun 2, 2019 6:31 PM

Apr 2012
Fate_Saber88 said:
Soverign said:

How would they even fight lmao
Literally the worst type of geography to try to wage a war against overwhelming force.
They literally live on an island. It would be a massacre.
Their existence pretty much relies on US support and maybe the international community. Ok maybe not the international community because they would probably look the other way since none of them could stand up to China anyways or wouldn't have the political will to do so.

Jun 2, 2019 6:56 PM

Oct 2017
zzzeally said:
Fate_Saber88 said:

Literally the worst type of geography to try to wage a war against overwhelming force.
Their existence pretty much relies on US support and maybe the international community. Ok maybe not the international community because they would probably look the other way since none of them could stand up to China anyways or wouldn't have the political will to do so.
I didn't said Taiwan could win a war against China. I just pointed one of their reasons to at least try to oppose the Chinese forces. Honestly I think Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are lost causes, they wouldn't get enough endorsement for a full escale military action from NATO, Japan and South Korea.
Their best chance is to get strong enough to inflict some considerable damage on the Chinese armed forces in order to make China think twice before an action.
If a war breaks out it would be an one sided massacre for sure.(unless American forces fully commit to intervene)
Jun 2, 2019 7:01 PM

Oct 2015
Fate_Saber88 said:
zzzeally said:

I didn't said Taiwan could win a war against China. I just pointed one of their reasons to at least try to oppose the Chinese forces. Honestly I think Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan are lost causes, they wouldn't get enough endorsement for a full escale military action from NATO, Japan and South Korea.
Their best chance is to get strong enough to inflict some considerable damage on the Chinese armed forces in order to make China think twice before an action.
If a war breaks out it would be an one sided massacre for sure.(unless American forces fully commit to intervene)

Japan would be committed based on the fact Taiwan is the barrier separating them from Chinese control. I also believe that American forces would be 100% committed
Jun 2, 2019 7:15 PM

Oct 2017
@Nightmare21st

There are many hypotheticals so I'm based on the fact of economic damage and the political polarity in the U.S, any war today would be a tragic ending for any American presidential term be it GOP or Democrat.
Also the cost of a war thousand miles away against the 3rd strongest military in the world could be catastrophic to the the point it wouldn't worth the effort.
As for the Japanese interests I know their military rebuild but the Japanese need to drop their pacific doctrines embedded on their constitution before waging any war.
Jun 2, 2019 7:18 PM

Mar 2019
Abie probably would be remembered less favorably had the secession not been about the continued "States' Right" to own the negroid man as property.

Similar to how forcing Catalonia to remain with Spain is not looked at with the greatest admiration around the world — but then again with respect to the hole Crimea situation the world seems to support Ukraine for what I assume is that it's popular to hate Russia and to be fair Russia only cared about "liberating" Crimea because it's a strategically important area for them.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 2, 2019 7:36 PM

Nov 2008
Poohping thinks he's a hero but we all know he's 100% villain that Lincoln would disapprove of.

Jun 2, 2019 7:55 PM

Oct 2015
Fate_Saber88 said:
@Nightmare21st

There are many hypotheticals so I'm based on the fact of economic damage and the political polarity in the U.S, any war today would be a tragic ending for any American presidential term be it GOP or Democrat.
Also the cost of a war thousand miles away against the 3rd strongest military in the world could be catastrophic to the the point it wouldn't worth the effort.
As for the Japanese interests I know their military rebuild but the Japanese need to drop their pacific doctrines embedded on their constitution before waging any war.

I know they would 100% do this. I have studied and read many articles and scenarios about this because its a very interesting topic. The US would have to come to Taiwan aid. How would it look to the world if the US which stands for freedom and democracy lets a tyrannical country take over another democracy?
Jun 2, 2019 8:13 PM

Feb 2008
Taiwan's destruction would be pretty immediate, I imagine, whereas Hong Kong is much more gradual. That would leave only Japan and South Korea as the remaining decent countries in East Asia.

Anyway, I don't think they would try anything at this very moment since the US has a president in office who would not mind going to war with China. Makes more sense to wait for someone else to take office.
Jun 3, 2019 4:32 AM
Oct 2018
Anyone that thinks foreign intervention, And especislly U.S intervention, would help - is insane. No matter where the U.S's freedom and democracy go, it leave a path of blood and massacre.

1 - Iraq where they left 500k+ Civilians dead

2 - Syria where they supported tons if rebel groups who commited terrorist acts to defy the Syrian army, hurting civilians and prolonging the war

3 - in the Saudi/Yemeni war, arming KSA to literally commit genocide against Yemenis.

4 - in the Saudi/Iran war, America has taken KSA's side.

^ That's for the Middle East, Funny how it has the most de-stability and the most western intervention at the same time. But hey, the tErRoRiStS.

5. Overthrowing a dictator in Argentina and installing a U.S supported authoritarian leader which lead to more rape and murder under this leadership.

6. Supporting Chilean dictator Augustus Pinochet.

7. After Venezuelans re-elected Chavez, Bush's administration started a coup yo get rid of him again.

Honestly, I'd feel bad for Taiwan if the U.S intervened.
Jun 3, 2019 4:48 AM

Jan 2009
China imperialism cannot be stopped so no hope for Taiwan same here in the Philippines

Jun 3, 2019 7:18 AM

Oct 2017
gaq_t said:
Anyone that thinks foreign intervention, And especislly U.S intervention, would help - is insane. No matter where the U.S's freedom and democracy go, it leave a path of blood and massacre.

2 - Syria where they supported tons if rebel groups who commited terrorist acts to defy the Syrian army, hurting civilians and prolonging the war

3 - in the Saudi/Yemeni war, arming KSA to literally commit genocide against Yemenis.

^ That's for the Middle East, Funny how it has the most de-stability and the most western intervention at the same time. But hey, the tErRoRiStS.

5. Overthrowing a dictator in Argentina and installing a U.S supported authoritarian leader which lead to more rape and murder under this leadership.

7. After Venezuelans re-elected Chavez, Bush's administration started a coup yo get rid of him again.

All right none of the interventions mentioned above applies for Taiwan and it doesn't make a Chinese military action any better.
I'd feel bad for Taiwan if they get overpowered by the Chinese regime as well.
Jun 3, 2019 7:30 AM

Oct 2017
deg said:
China imperialism cannot be stopped so no hope for Taiwan same here in the Philippines

I've been looking after the Filipino struggle to keep away the Chinese abusive maritime claims. I guess the best option is to strengthen the armed forces of all regional nations and start bullying Chinese fishing boats so they can get a bit of their poison.
Also I think it's counterproductive for China to start bullying other regional nations they won't gain the hearts of the people and they might bite their own tongue one day.
Japan is getting a strong military as well if Japan change their stance towards military interventions (I think one day they will) the Chinese might get stranded in an eternal regional power struggle that they won't win if they fail to gain popularity.
Jun 3, 2019 8:48 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Veronin said:
Taiwan's destruction would be pretty immediate, I imagine, whereas Hong Kong is much more gradual.

I don't think so, China's military isn't that strong atm. and Taiwan is an island which means it has a really huge natural advantage when it comes to defending itself against a foreign invader. It may take months or even years. The video below explains it in detail (of course no nukes or international intervention).

Jun 3, 2019 10:28 AM

Feb 2015
Man, these guys have gone against what Deng Xiaoping had warned decades ago. China became the tyrant he feared it'd turn into.

I can only guess the huge loss for China in the long run assuming they successfully took over Taiwan. There's really not much to gain anymore to that afterwards, only more resentment and defiance to its neighbors and its allies.
Jun 3, 2019 2:09 PM

Dec 2016
gaq_t said:

It is pretty amusing that the KSA amassed more soldiers in Northern Thunder than Russia in Vostok -2018.

350,000 to 300,000.

Before the US sent a carrier strike group and some B-52s

Jun 3, 2019 2:56 PM

Jan 2017
149597871 said:
Veronin said:
Taiwan's destruction would be pretty immediate, I imagine, whereas Hong Kong is much more gradual.

I don't think so, China's military isn't that strong atm. and Taiwan is an island which means it has a really huge natural advantage when it comes to defending itself against a foreign invader. It may take months or even years. The video below explains it in detail (of course no nukes or international intervention).

What you on about mate? lol China literally has one of the strongest militaries next to russia and the US
Jun 3, 2019 3:36 PM

Oct 2017
149597871 said:
Veronin said:

All right the video is good and shows a good equiped Taiwanese armed forces but being nicely equiped doesn't mean anything there because China is also good equiped , do you really think defend a tiny island is an advantage? Taiwan is nothing like Nam or Afghanistan, China is just a few miles from Taiwan and they are the 3rd strongest military in the world.

If no superpower intervene Taiwan doesn't have much chances, China just needs to carry a naval quarantine a few miles from its homeland and it's already 50% of a victory.
Jun 3, 2019 6:05 PM
Oct 2018
Fate_Saber88 said:
gaq_t said:

All right none of the interventions mentioned above applies for Taiwan and it doesn't make a Chinese military action any better.

How do none apply? Are you waiting for history to play over again and again? Taiwanese people are going to be massacred and raped left and right, not only by Chinese troops, but this time American ones too. Do you really think America cares about Taiwan? It just wants to stop China in any way.
Jun 3, 2019 7:04 PM

Oct 2015
gaq_t said:
Fate_Saber88 said:

How do none apply? Are you waiting for history to play over again and again? Taiwanese people are going to be massacred and raped left and right, not only by Chinese troops, but this time American ones too. Do you really think America cares about Taiwan? It just wants to stop China in any way.

You got everything wrong from a power and moral perspective they would defend Taiwan. Thats based on the fact that how would it look if a hostile power would took over a democracy and the US just didn't do anything, they would lose their influence. Not to mention that Taiwan is the only thing separating the Japanese from China.
Jun 3, 2019 7:05 PM

May 2018
gaq_t said:
Fate_Saber88 said:

Story about US army raping Okinawa women is nothing new, which is why there are protest by Okinawa people to chase out US military from Okinawa.
Japan protests alleged rape case by US sailor on Okinawa
https://apnews.com/2d8e24d128cd497fb5cbe1741613e67b

These are list of countries that recognize Taiwan as independent state.

All nations that recognize Taiwan as an independent state are:

Belize
El Salvador
Guatemala
Haiti
Honduras
Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Nauru
Nicaragua
Palau
Paraguay
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Solomon Islands
Swaziland
Tuvalu
Vatican City

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/countries-that-recognize-taiwan/

Japan is not on the list. Japan will not intervene if China do anything to Taiwan as Japan officially recognize Taiwan as part of China. I doubt Trump care about Taiwan. He just want to use Taiwan as a way to get China into trade war agreement. Trump even ask Japan to pay more for US military, Taiwan pay none.

Trump wants Germany, Japan and others to pay full cost plus a premium for US troops
https://www.stripes.com/news/report-trump-wants-germany-japan-and-others-to-pay-full-cost-plus-a-premium-for-us-troops-1.571839

US and Japan won't do anything if China really attack Taiwan as both officially recognize Taiwan as part of China.
Papa_ScorchJun 3, 2019 7:25 PM
Jun 3, 2019 9:08 PM
Oct 2018
Nightmare21st said:
gaq_t said:

You got everything wrong from a power and moral perspective they would defend Taiwan. Thats based on the fact that how would it look if a hostile power would took over a democracy and the US just didn't do anything, they would lose their influence. Not to mention that Taiwan is the only thing separating the Japanese from China.

The U.S has literally destroyed multiple democracies. Honestly, don't even respond if you don't know their violent history, a history like this is supposed to exist 1000,2000,3000 years ago, not in the modern age... Lose their influence? What are you even going on about mate?
Jun 3, 2019 9:12 PM

Jan 2009
@gaq_t

looking at the 3 superpowers military wise (USA, China, Russia) who is the lesser evil? dont say i rather remove them all because that is not possible at the moment
Jun 3, 2019 9:30 PM

Oct 2015
deg said:
@gaq_t

looking at the 3 superpowers military wise (USA, China, Russia) who is the lesser evil? dont say i rather remove them all because that is not possible at the moment

Most evil list backed by evidence:
1. China
2. Russia
3. US

Countries most threat to world peace:
1. China
2. US.
3. Russia
Jun 4, 2019 2:10 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
@Fate_Saber88 @Cneq Maybe I shouldn't use the adjective "strong" although it is accurate. Having the weapons and numbers isn't the same as having military strength. Yes, China is one of the "strongest" on paper but when it comes to organizing and deploying the army it is safe to say that their current state isn't that good. To put it simple, they aren't ready for war.

Although yes, Taiwan will ultimately lose if there is no intervention. What I said is that it is not going to be an "instant loss" as many people believe.

Jun 4, 2019 2:42 AM
May 2019
Soverign said:

It is pretty amusing that the KSA amassed more soldiers in Northern Thunder than Russia in Vostok -2018.

350,000 to 300,000.

Many people there about one or two firing drills in the entire 1 or 1.5 years of service. Most of that time is spent doing bullshit tasks like painting the grass green and being abused by senior recruits (dedovschina). People who served compare their mandatory service in the army to a prison term. As a result, mandatory service there is extremely unpopular and pretty much everyone who can do draft-dodging do so.
layken001Jun 4, 2019 2:51 AM
Jun 4, 2019 5:45 AM
Oct 2018
deg said:
@gaq_t

Most evil/ U.S

My reason: leaving over half a million innocent civilians dead in the Middle East, supporting wars and prolonging wars in the Middle East, overthrowing leaders to instal U.S supported leaders and on and on.

Russia is also horrible, But most of ehat China does is to it's own people lol..
Jun 4, 2019 5:51 AM

Jan 2009
gaq_t said:
deg said:
@gaq_t

Most evil/ U.S

My reason: leaving over half a million innocent civilians dead in the Middle East, supporting wars and prolonging wars in the Middle East, overthrowing leaders to instal U.S supported leaders and on and on.

Russia is also horrible, But most of ehat China does is to it's own people lol..

ye you can say that but to me its because the world police right now is USA so all eyes and all criticisms are on them, but if the world police becomes either Russia and China being authoritatians and master of disinformation to destabilize countries or deceive its own citizens then damn what more if they are the world police lol
Jun 4, 2019 8:53 AM

Jan 2019
deg said:
gaq_t said:

Most evil/ U.S

ye you can say that but to me its because the world police right now is USA so all eyes and all criticisms are on them, but if the world police becomes either Russia and China being authoritatians and master of disinformation to destabilize countries or deceive its own citizens then damn what more if they are the world police lol

I think China will say : "hey, everybody ,let's make money."→з→
Jun 4, 2019 12:05 PM

Jan 2019
Just based on some of these comments I find it funny how everybody hates the U.S. so much for its foreign policy but as soon as another country gives them problems America is the first they go to for help.

As for Taiwan, I can't see anybody coming to Taiwan's direct military aid. From a strategic standpoint it is not significant enough to merit a full on clash between powers, the most China will get is international protest, some sanctions and some tariffs or some junk while Japan and SK will have a fit and build up their military some more.
Jun 4, 2019 2:16 PM

Dec 2016
layken001 said:
Soverign said:

350,000 to 300,000.

Many people there about one or two firing drills in the entire 1 or 1.5 years of service. Most of that time is spent doing bullshit tasks like painting the grass green and being abused by senior recruits (dedovschina). People who served compare their mandatory service in the army to a prison term. As a result, mandatory service there is extremely unpopular and pretty much everyone who can do draft-dodging do so.

Luckily I don't think Taiwan has that problem.

Niqqas start wearing masks like that an shit gonna get real for whatever poor dumb fuck they drafted to send into a meat grinder. Them Taiwanese niqqas channeling the spirit of Jason Voorhees on that island son.
SoverignJun 4, 2019 2:19 PM
Jun 4, 2019 6:43 PM

Feb 2010
No Abrahams Lincoln was seen as a great priesident beause he pushed to end slavery
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 4, 2019 11:36 PM
May 2019
I like how people don't know the reason for this is because the Taiwanese people rejected the KMT who wanna rejoin with Mainland China because in all but name, KMT is basically the Taiwanese puppets of Mainland China (people in the likw Australia like them because BAZED Conservatives who hate Mudslimes which is why they won't kick them out) and voted for the Progressive party.
layken001Jun 5, 2019 12:00 AM
Jun 5, 2019 8:00 AM

Nov 2016
Soverign said:

How do you tell Taiwanese and Chinese people apart? They look the same to me.
Jun 5, 2019 1:41 PM

Dec 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:
Soverign said:

It is actually, really, rather easy my good sir.

One looks soft, like reeeaalllly soft, like this

and the other one looks like asian Jason Voorhees.

SoverignJun 5, 2019 1:51 PM
Jun 5, 2019 3:40 PM

Oct 2017
Soverign said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

and the other one looks like asian Jason Voorhees.

I love how the Chinese like to make their things look cooler by adding girls with tons of makeup on everything even the military.
Jun 7, 2019 7:07 PM
May 2019
Soverign said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

There's a reason for that. See...the male Chinese population has small testicular veins because of too much masturbation to fight. No really.
Jun 7, 2019 7:20 PM

Dec 2016
layken001 said:
Soverign said:

There's a reason for that. See...the male Chinese population has small testicular veins because of too much masturbation to fight. No really.

But... how are they ever going to be a global military power if they keep aborting their soldiers?

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151113-datapoints-china-one-child-policy/
shortly thereafter
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2018-05-21/china-to-eliminate-2-child-policy
Jun 7, 2019 7:57 PM

May 2018
Soverign said:
layken001 said:

But... how are they ever going to be a global military power if they keep aborting their soldiers?

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151113-datapoints-china-one-child-policy/
shortly thereafter
https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2018-05-21/china-to-eliminate-2-child-policy

Not a problem for them consider that Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan has lower birth rate than China.
http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/total-fertility-rate/

Even some European countries has lower birth rate than China despite not having one child policy.
Papa_ScorchJun 7, 2019 8:04 PM
Jun 7, 2019 8:12 PM

Dec 2016
Gorochu said:
Soverign said:

shortly thereafter

Not a problem for them consider that Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan has lower birth rate than China.

Even some European countries has lower birth rate than China despite not having one child policy.

But... it has been scientifically established previously that China has a aging population (urban birth rates are 1) that is heavily skewed towards males with underdeveloped testicles resulting in inferior esprit de corps. Leaving Chinese women to do all the fighting.
Jun 7, 2019 8:16 PM

May 2018
Soverign said:
Gorochu said:

But... it has been scientifically established previously that China has a aging population (urban birth rates are 1) that is heavily skewed towards males with underdeveloped testicles resulting in inferior esprit de corps. Leaving Chinese women to do all the fighting.

In that case, Japan,Taiwan, Germany, Spain, Greece, Portugal has even more underdeveloped testicles and inferior esprit de corps since their birth rate lower than China. Japanese and European men are too beta, which is why feminism came from west(not China) and European need to import black and Muslim immigrants to pump out more babies with white women.
Papa_ScorchJun 7, 2019 8:38 PM
Jun 8, 2019 12:39 AM
May 2019
Also the KMT has made headway in the last local elections IIRC, and the DPP could end up losing to the KMT in the next general election, though both parties have experienced a loss in popularity.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.