Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

A deeper analysis of Sarazanmai’s characters (Spoiler up to episode 8)

New
Jun 2, 2019 3:58 PM

Oct 2017
Sarazanmai is a well written and fascinating character drama that it is worth digging in and analyze each character’s motivation and desire since most of them are very interesting and they’re all up for interpretation.

This article would try to analyze the connection (desire) each of the three main casts craving for, and what action did they take to deal with those relationship/ connection.

Kazuki

Connections are always there, but he failed to realize they’re always there.

Kazuki has everything from the get-go but reject everything because of his childhood incident and self guilt.

Best alternative: None. All he need is realization of his true feeling. Everyone loves him from the get-go.

His adopted parents love him, Haruka loves him, Enta loves him. Toi (probably) loves him.

The “connection” Kazuki seeks for is quite simple. Familial love and friendship love, and they're always there from get go. To proof my point, in episode 6, basically nothing changes from the surface. Haruka is still crippled, his parents are still adapted, yet he becomes much more cheerful after the incident because his perception of viewing things changed.

Because he got everything for granted, this is probably why when he really lost a connection with someone he really cares (Toi for example), it hurts him more than anything.

Toi

Connections are always there, but he must choose between which connection to preserve.

He have all connections available to him, but must make choices because of his brother’s background.

Best alternative: Either give up his brother for his friends and live a normal life or preserve his bond with his brother and forever be in criminal life.

The “connection” Toi crave for is a little bit more complicated. He has the mind set taught from his early age that he had to make choices between familial love and friendship love because of his brother’s background. He has the impression that picking one automatically severe the others, otherwise they could have still been buddies through current technology and communication. Maybe he has a little bit of affection to Kazuki too, thus why he feels that severing the connection with Kazuki is necessary, or else he would feel depressed because he expects something more from their relationship.

It is clear that his brother loves him deeply (familial love), and his friends care about him, but ultimately, he feels the need to choose between them.

Enta

Connection is never there from the get-go, but he must clang onto it as if it’s there.

Best alternative: Give up Kazuki entirely. Severe the connection he clanged on to for years. Admit that the connection that he wanted (romantic love) is never there.

The “connection” Enta crave for is intimate and romantic love from Kuzuki. Not familial love, not friendship, but romantic love from his best friend of same sex.

It is the most depressing one, and there’s no clear way to resolve his issue directly, especially when the other party do not share the same type of affection. The fact that they’re of the same gender probably makes the situation even worse than it already is. This put Enta into a dead corner because the more he realizes about the truth, the more depressed he’d get. This is probably why Enta keeps living in his own fantasy and daydreams because he doesn’t even dare realizing the truth because that truth may very well be to severe his connection with Kazuki.

(To add note to that, you can say Enta can just give up the romantic love and go back on being friends with Kazuki. I think this is one of the most brutal ways to solve this situation if you put yourself into Enta’s shoes. Imagine you have a crush on a girl you like for years, both of you finally become good friend, and you like her even more because of that. You finally gather up your courage and confess, but then she reply she never share the same feeling and really hope to keep it as friend. Would you really think you guys could easily go back to what is used to? By keep staying close to her you might fall for her all over again, which will continue this loop of suffering. Also imagine that the person you confess to is the same gender as you, and he reply to you “eh, no, I’m not gay, please don’t get close to me”, what would you feel then?)

To back up my point, in episode 3, even though we do not know how much incidents happened in that episode is real or it’s fantasy, one thing which is clear is that Kazuki was well aware that Enta kissed him, yet he is indifferent about it, showing that he never share the same type of feeling toward Enta. In fact from episode 8 and all the previous episodes, we can tell that Kazuki actually show a greater affection on Toi from all the reactions and actions we’ve seen so far (probably not romantic love, but at least something more than what he think of Enta). In fact Enta is so frightened that by including Toi into this relationship (golden duo) will just make him realize that he is not as special as he thought he is to Kazuki’s = realizing the connection he has (romantic one) is an illusion he made up of his own, that he feel the need to exclude Toi from this relationship , even if it means betraying them and using dirty tricks like he did in episode 7. (I also want to stress that Enta really does not show any hostility to Toi at all. I think Enta do think Toi as a friend, but he’s too frightened to realize the truth.)

He is like one of those side romantic interest from other romance series, he most likely never have the chance to begin with. In fact he did give up on Kazuki at the end of episode 3, but Haruka stopped him from doing so, so he’s back to clanging on to that connection that was never there again, which is such a tragedy.

===================================================================================

I’m sorry that this article is a little biased toward Enta because it is just so relatable and feel very real, especially for people of homosexuality. If you want to discuss and rebut my points, I hope you do so by debate under the full context of each character I analyze, not breaking the paragraphs part to part and rebut against each of them.
Jun 6, 2019 1:48 PM

Feb 2017
Hi, you should submit this to the MAL Articles so more people can read it. The forum is not the right place. I loved your review. Others will love it too. Just submit it to the MAL Article Team. Best wishes. :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2019

314 by Zam2202 »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:15 AM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2019

186 by thegoishady »»
Aug 7, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2019

140 by 3miL »»
Apr 29, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2019

70 by nifetiseBOY »»
Feb 11, 2023 5:02 AM

» Is this tagged as yaoi?

FragileGlass - May 6, 2019

12 by Teirayo »»
Feb 25, 2022 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.