Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion

Jun 4, 12:06 AM

Gloomy-eyes said:
eh, when did Erwin dream of anything outside the wall? His dream has always been the basement, Armin dreamed about the ocean, which is beyond that

EH, go back previous season.

His father told him about outside the wall, and he was interested hence he told everyone about what his father told him.

After the tragedy, he wanted to prove his father was right and wanted to find the secret outside the wall, which is why he formed the Scout team in the first place.

Are you going to tell me, he formed the Scout team just because he wanted to go to basement?
He doesn't even know who is Eren and the basement before he form the Scout team.

Erwin:
1. Wanted to prove his father was right
2. Wanted to go outside the wall to see whatever his father told him

Armin:
1. Wanted to see ocean
Nothing else.
Modified by aLotQuestion_, Jun 4, 12:12 AM
Signature removed. Check your inbox

Jun 4, 1:18 AM

I cried so hard when they were arguing over whom to revive. It was hurtful to watch.
Erwin Rip my leader.
~~ofcourse I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advice~~

Jun 4, 1:51 AM
aLotQuestion_ said:
Gloomy-eyes said:
eh, when did Erwin dream of anything outside the wall? His dream has always been the basement, Armin dreamed about the ocean, which is beyond that

EH, go back previous season.

His father told him about outside the wall, and he was interested hence he told everyone about what his father told him.

After the tragedy, he wanted to prove his father was right and wanted to find the secret outside the wall, which is why he formed the Scout team in the first place.

Are you going to tell me, he formed the Scout team just because he wanted to go to basement?
He doesn't even know who is Eren and the basement before he form the Scout team.

Erwin:
1. Wanted to prove his father was right
2. Wanted to go outside the wall to see whatever his father told him

Armin:
1. Wanted to see ocean
Nothing else.

Dude you don't seem to understand, Erwin wanted to prove his father was right and to do so he wants to know the reality of their world. Now, to know the truth of their world when basement was irrelevant the only way was going outside the walls and see for themselves if other civilizations exist or not, but after they became aware of the significance of Grisha's basement and basement seem to have the information about their world there was actually no need to go outside the walls to prove his father was right, going to basement and learning the truth would have accomplished his dream. His dream was proving his father right and not proving his father right by going outside the walls.

Jun 4, 2:24 AM

This one episode makes history in the anime world. Feels corps
Now, the next few episodes are hype because of this.

F to that guy who carried Erwin for no reason lmao

Jun 4, 3:32 AM
As an anime only, i have no idea which captain levi will choose as both the sides of Hange and Eren has a point..

Erwin's leadership is excellent and has a great experience leading a team... and Levi is also close to him

Armin on the other hand is great at planning strategies.

Both are great scouts but only one has to survive. While watching i have a feeling that it will be Armin, and he did pick him up in the end.

Another great episode, the VA is phenomenal, the feeling is there and you could feel the emotions right at the scene.

If i am capatin levi i will be also having a hard time picking which one will be saved.

Jun 4, 4:21 AM

This topic emphasis the reason why MAL is a bunch of toxism. Critique is fine, I did it too in the Promised Neverland topic, but you can't argue with people who enjoy it as if your view on it is a fact.

Jun 4, 4:42 AM

TinYLilMuffiN said:
I cried so hard when they were arguing over whom to revive. It was hurtful to watch.
Erwin Rip my leader.

I sat there amazed at how stupid Levi is for bringing back Armin...

Erwin had to be the one saved.

Jun 4, 4:53 AM
Frostbytes said:
Best comedy episode, Snk always delivers with its stupid plot armours.

>Armin gets lethal burns on his entire body and falls from such a high wall, an absolutely fatal position
>"Oh but look, since he is one of the main characters, he is still barely alive and breathing!!! So get the serum!"

And hence follows the subsequent drama. Hilarious episode, even more funny that Reiner's plot armour from few episodes ago.
Why you watching this show then......
If titans can exist....So Armin van also survive!

Jun 4, 5:29 AM
For me it was Connie’s “goodbye, Armin” that hit the hardest

Jun 4, 5:35 AM
Shoryuuken said:
This topic emphasis the reason why MAL is a bunch of toxism. Critique is fine, I did it too in the Promised Neverland topic, but you can't argue with people who enjoy it as if your view on it is a fact.

Yeah, plus I think people forget its anime, where people surviving absurd things always happens. xD

Jun 4, 6:06 AM
Vindicater said:
TinYLilMuffiN said:
Erwin Rip my leader.

I sat there amazed at how stupid Levi is for bringing back Armin...

Erwin had to be the one saved.

Levi's reasons made sense though. Erwin just wanted to see the basement without a concrete plan afterwards, Armin had a dream beyond all the war and still had his whole life ahead of him. I think Levi's point at the end summed his choice up perfectly, Erwin had already suffered enough from everyone looking up to him as the leader, he'd finally had the chance to rest in peace, bringing him back from the dead to force him to fight again but also with the knowledge of how many people have died would've broken the man.

[spoiler] Even moreso when you consider what's actually revealed with the basement, I can't imagine how much that would've destroyed Erwin.[/spoiler[

Jun 4, 6:37 AM

RIP Erwin, well i agree with Levi's reason not to pick him, it's a mercy to die instead of living in that hell again

tbh i find the way Eren and Mikasa's act were annoying as hell, you're right Hange and the guy who brought Erwin.. they were not the only one who suffer, who lost someone important to them, eventough it's understandable.. i still want to slap them in the face lol.

Armin (and Erwin) miraculously survived from that and Reiner escaped death again.

"Man - a being in search of meaning.." - Plato Seven Knights Mobile Game

Jun 4, 6:39 AM

What a cinematic episode!! Great soundtracks and amazing casting.
This was the moment Eren knew his destiny.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jun 4, 7:14 AM
I agree with Levi's decision, he needs such a mind as Armin. As for the underground belief, it is simply an entry for the outside world beyond the walls, because Eren's father found him outside the walls. That is what I imagine based on this picture

Jun 4, 7:50 AM

My take: Levi was correct in choosing Armin not only because of the stark differences in motivation driving them (vindication of worldview vs. possibilities of what lies beyond), but also because of the sheer amount of lives Armin saves vs. the amount Erwin expends.

Yes, Erwin's gambits generally end up paying off in the end, but at the ever-increasing cost to his soldiers; Armin has always factored in the human cost, and generally avoids unnecessary bloodshed. Erwin is right to view this battle as an existential one where the stakes couldn't be higher, but his core motivation is thoroughly self-serving.

Hange made a good point regarding Erwin's experience, but I think she was more pleading for her own friend than speaking to the necessity of what he brings as a commander. This loss isn't as bad as people make it out to be; she's more than capable of taking on the role of commander for the scouting legion, while keeping Armin close for his tactical ability (both as a strategist and a war asset).

Also - Erwin's character arc has been wrapped up neatly with a bow. There's still a lot more potential in Armin's story; especially with the wild ride that's about to begin.

Jun 4, 8:14 AM
Best episode of the entire show I guess. Knew it was gonna be a Rockin'season

Jun 4, 8:40 AM

Dangerr said:
My take: Levi was correct in choosing Armin not only because of the stark differences in motivation driving them (vindication of worldview vs. possibilities of what lies beyond), but also because of the sheer amount of lives Armin saves vs. the amount Erwin expends.

Yes, Erwin's gambits generally end up paying off in the end, but at the ever-increasing cost to his soldiers; Armin has always factored in the human cost, and generally avoids unnecessary bloodshed. Erwin is right to view this battle as an existential one where the stakes couldn't be higher, but his core motivation is thoroughly self-serving.

Hange made a good point regarding Erwin's experience, but I think she was more pleading for her own friend than speaking to the necessity of what he brings as a commander. This loss isn't as bad as people make it out to be; she's more than capable of taking on the role of commander for the scouting legion, while keeping Armin close for his tactical ability (both as a strategist and a war asset).

Also - Erwin's character arc has been wrapped up neatly with a bow. There's still a lot more potential in Armin's story; especially with the wild ride that's about to begin.

Erwin was a charismatic leader whereas Armin wasn't.
Levi didn't really choose Armin, he just let Erwin rest. He didn't bring Erwin back to the hell again as he did not want Erwin to play the role of the devil again. He freed Erwin from his enslavement.

Jun 4, 8:51 AM

ThatShiny_Hex said:
Erwin was a charismatic leader whereas Armin wasn't.

You're right about Erwin's charisma; that's the actual best argument for choosing him over anyone else, but I still think it's the lesser choice in the long-run, though it is certainly the more "rational" one from a soldier's perspective.

ThatShiny_Hex said:
Levi didn't really choose Armin, he just let Erwin rest. He didn't bring Erwin back to the hell again as he did not want Erwin to play the role of the devil again. He freed Erwin from his enslavement.

That's the reason Levi gave, but that's not the whole picture. Levi's "realization" upon Erwin raising his hand - his flashback's to Kenny's "drunk" speech and his eavesdropping on Armin's conversation regarding the sea - was him evaluating Erwin's and Armin's core motivations, and him realizing that Armin had more to offer humanity than his tired friend.

Jun 4, 9:20 AM
I loved it so much. What a heavy episode.

I would like to talk about things that some have been arguing over it:

- Reiner's plot armor... Actually I don't think this is a plot armor, everything happened to him fits the storyline and the events, if he still has more in the story, and his stroy would drive the plot further then that's not a plot armor, I mean many AoT fans hate Reiner, so Isayama won't just keep him alive because he's a fan favorite when he isn't, so I'm sure Reiner is very important to the plot and that's why he's still alive, and I don't understand why that bothers people if they are interested in the story and want to learn more.

- Armin's surviving... even though i love Erwin more, but the fact that Armin is alive didn't surprise, I was happy of course but it's not like "how!! This is impossible"..
Because I believe that there were people in real life that got burned and still somehow alive, considering that the time in the story is just a few minutes, so Armin could have only a few minutes of breath and he would be dead if they took longer, but the time in the story itself is just like the real time, so I don't think it's impossible for someone to be alive after getting burned, especially that was more of a steam than fire.

- the lack music... This one I won't understand why would any complain about, the lack of the music was very needed for such moments, it let us focus more on the characters and the incredible voice acting, it was like that so you can get into it, it makes it more powerful and dramatic and when they choice was made the music played and it was PERFECT...
Keeping it silent until the moment of making the hard decision was so touching, I loved it. The OST was amazing anyway.

However, everything from dialogues to characters build up to voice acting to the production, all were magnificent.

I felt so sad for Berthold :( I really cried for him, his screams hurt me so much. RIP.

RIP to our legend Erwin, I wished he could be alive and at least see what's in the basement, him rising his hand as if he was in his class and asking the lost question was so heartbreaking. I loved him and I will miss his strong presence.

RIP to Moblit, he was always there protecting Hange and he sacrificed himself to save her!! This man is underappreciated!

I loved Jean moments, this boy is the most humane one out of all of them, I love him so much, and I can't wait to see him get big.

Last note, what Floch said took me by surprise, wow that boy has a black heart, I understand him but... Strange. Wow. I wonder how he could get along the other.i find him interesting.

Jun 4, 11:03 AM

I had a few giggles while reading you non-manga readers' comments when you thought Armin was dead xD
Oof, want the next ep now. It'll be the start of some awesome storytelling.
Modified by FluffyDango, Jun 4, 11:09 AM

Jun 4, 11:21 AM
deg said:
in the end Erwin refused to be injected by the serum lol

Armin lives and is now the fucking Collossal Titan

lets see if the basement reveal will have much more contorversy than this episode

Ohh there will be a controversy when the basement gets adapted!! Folks at Twitter already did a tease back in February with the whole "Aot Is A NaZi PrOpAgAnDa" crap for 184th time

Jun 4, 11:23 AM
Edylson said:
deg said:
in the end Erwin refused to be injected by the serum lol

Armin lives and is now the fucking Collossal Titan

lets see if the basement reveal will have much more contorversy than this episode

Ohh there will be a controversy when the basement gets adapted!! Folks at Twitter already did a tease back in February with the whole "Aot Is A NaZi PrOpAgAnDa" crap for 184th time

Nazi propoganda? Nazis are for master race though so i do not see the connection to it with the basement reveal

EDIT:

nevermind i found some articles explaining it when i googled it
Modified by deg, Jun 4, 11:26 AM

Jun 4, 11:46 AM

deg said:
Edylson said:

Nazi propoganda? Nazis are for master race though so i do not see the connection to it with the basement reveal

EDIT:

Some tweets accusing the series of being nazi propaganda exploded. Around 7-8k likes. Although most of them were SJWs and wouldn't have even read the manga.

Jun 4, 11:52 AM
ThatShiny_Hex said:
deg said:

EDIT:

Some tweets accusing the series of being nazi propaganda exploded. Around 7-8k likes. Although most of them were SJWs and wouldn't have even read the manga.

i see in the anitwitter pages im following it did not show those but maybe because i do not follow a Attack on Titan dedicated twitter

Jun 4, 12:01 PM

Guys I don't think stuff like that should be discuss in the episode discussion forum.

Jun 4, 12:28 PM
keragamming said:
Guys I don't think stuff like that should be discuss in the episode discussion forum.

well its very possible that this controversy will be talk about in the upcoming episodes

Jun 4, 12:53 PM

deg said:
keragamming said:

well its very possible that this controversy will be talk about in the upcoming episodes

Yeah, but it hasn't happen yet, which is why it should not be discuss in this episode.

Jun 4, 1:15 PM
It is #2 in top Anime on myanimelist.
Soon taking the place #1

Jun 4, 1:18 PM

thekillerbee said:
Soon taking the place #1

the spot it deserves

Jun 4, 1:23 PM

Oh boy, i did not envy the decision Levi had to make this episode.

I'm sobbing with sadness that Erwin died but also with gratitude that Levi chose to save Armin. To be honest, Erwin was ready to die and he had suffered for so long but Armin has so much potential to be a create leader and strategist so i'm happy that Levi chose him.

As far as that lucky fuck Reiner is concerned... they fucked him up once they can definitely do it again!

Jun 4, 1:31 PM
thekillerbee said:
Soon taking the place #1

I'm pretty sure it'll drop at least 10 spots since people are spiteful of new shows actually rising into the top 10 since MAL is full of petty snowflakes, but I'm at least certain in thinking this will be the show's highest-rated season yet. And deservedly so, the past 2 episodes have been utterly fantastic. If they handle the coming eps just as well this might be one of the best seasons of a show I've seen in a decade. What a blessed year this has been, MP100 with a killer second season, JoJo with its strongest adaptation yet, and now SnK reaching its best arc pre-basement and hitting it out of the park.

Jun 4, 1:47 PM

Modernoir said:

I'm pretty sure it'll drop at least 10 spots since people are spiteful of new shows actually rising into the top 10 since MAL is full of petty snowflakes

He says while 90% of the MAL's top10 are new shows. LOL

Jun 4, 1:58 PM
Tone_ said:
Modernoir said:

I'm pretty sure it'll drop at least 10 spots since people are spiteful of new shows actually rising into the top 10 since MAL is full of petty snowflakes

He says while 90% of the MAL's top10 are new shows. LOL

I must have been only thinking of one or two shows when I made that post, I actually didn't realize how many "new" anime were in the top 10 lmao, forget what I said

Jun 4, 2:02 PM
thekillerbee said:
Soon taking the place #1

Highly doubtful, considering no of 1 ratings went from 370 to 420 within a day, people will not allow it to happen.

Jun 4, 2:53 PM

Incredible episode. One of the best imo
Loved the choice to not put any music (only at the end) for building tension more effectively. Great directing. Voice acting was also fantastic

Jun 4, 2:54 PM

I was salty in the manga and I'm still salty to this day. Armin should be dead. Erwin too but Armin especially. I'm particularly upset because virtually every side or supporting character is more interesting to watch than the main three characters. It was around this point in the manga that I started to mentally check out. But I do remember the reveal, and the history of the titans being one of the best parts of this series so there's still that to look forward to before we all go down hill. At least this season should end on an exceptionally high note.

Jun 4, 4:03 PM

Besides being a very emotional episode (and the fact that Armin will survive) I have a few things to say:

-Mikasa is the most annoying and bland character in the show.
-Levi is definitively dead inside lol.
-Reiner using his best tool. He is the Plot Armored Titan for a reason.

And finally, Eren´s VA performance was great.

But beyond all of the emotion, this episode (and specially Eren) are going to age really bad. All that shit that Eren was saying about the ocean, and being supportive to Mikasa will be so funny when "that scene" gets animated.

Jun 4, 4:04 PM
I liked this better here than in the manga, maybe because it wasn’t split in half, lol. Poor Erwin, he was so close to his dream. But still, Armin being chosen has been an interesting choice for the manga.

Next week is the basement. Anime-onlys, prepare to be shook. I feel like people are going to be split on how they feel about what’s in there. But, we’ll have to wait and see!

Jun 4, 4:58 PM

I just checked the 1/10 votes jumped from 370 to 425. Can't handle that AoT took away the status of their shows.

Is there a way to report these things?

Jun 4, 5:43 PM

@Modernoir @Zoroft

Lol where did you find subtle character development in this episode? Bunch of crying and screaming. Jean with his retardation somehow still giving a fuck about Reiner? Mikasa and her 100th outburst? I really don't see how this anime is any less over the top with its melodrama like any other series. I can tell that some characters get subtle characterization but they are so irrelevant to the story and get so little screentime where I feel like it just fades away and becomes unimportant anyway. Moral ambiguity is expected when you take the setting in consideration, it's war baby.

This is not an attack btw, I'm genuinely asking

Jun 4, 5:44 PM
The voice actor of Eren had a great performance this episode. That moment when he was taken away from the scene and made that sound. It got me.

Jun 4, 5:55 PM

Zoroft said:

I just checked the 1/10 votes jumped from 370 to 425. Can't handle that AoT took away the status of their shows.

Is there a way to report these things?

no.
unless admins check newly created accounts or double ip accounts.

Jun 4, 6:19 PM
@Esquirtit

That's a strawman, I don't recall either of us saying this episode specifically had subtle character development? This was a payoff episode where all the emotions rose to the surface in a dire situation, I think there's a big difference there. Jean has been shown to have a strong moral compass from the beginning, it's why he chose to join the scouts. It's more emphasized in the manga but he had problems with the violent ways Levi handled things and has been wrestling with his morals vs his ability to the job done for awhile now. I think it's a bit new to see Mikasa get this emotional over someone other than Eren, shows that she has other things she deeply cares about, I don't see how crying loudly in that situation is over the top melodrama? Are you saying it was inappropriate there?

Jun 4, 6:21 PM
Great episode. I wish I hadn't spoiled myself that Armin was going to be the one to survive, it would've probably felt way more intense. But still, I can appreciate what they tried to do, and it worked quite nicely.

Now let's see what's in that basement!

Jun 4, 7:08 PM

xXrosaliciousXx said:
DiabloMask said:
1- Armin's death was great but now it's ruined, also this sealed the fact that the main characters have plot armor.
2- Hange and the others appeared out of nowhere fully aware of the situation (how did they even know that was Armin?).
3- Eren and Mikasa gave up easily to Hange, considering they were fighting Levi for the syringe.
4- Bertholdt begging for his life was unnecessary and distracting from the fact that Armin's revival is supposed to be touching.
5- Reiner is still alive, meaning they're probably gonna fight him again which is getting tiring to be honest (it's possible the villains are gonna feed him to another titan though).
This is a very disappointing episode, last episode was one of the greatest anime episodes of all time, but now it's just good at best.
I'm glad Mikasa and Levi didn't lose the syringe accidentally, but Armin doesn't fit as a titan, anyway I'll wait and see what happens next.

For some points I do agree with you, but for the plot armor one I kinda don't. Sorry =D. I do think almost all shows have plot armour around their main characters; and the main drive for this show was to see the ocean. To eliminate the drive, maybe Isayamam didn't see Ere n as someone who could carry that dream after the death.

Aah, who knows, it is unfortunate you didn't enjoy this episode

I'm totally fine with the main characters having plot armor, getting rid of a major character is normally a very risky move and only a writer that has balls can do it.
The problem is, however, when the writer pretends to killing off main characters for shock value, and then revives them to prevent the risk.
Armin's death was very impressive and heroic, but now it feels cheap.
Anyway, maybe I was expecting too much, I still like the show.

Jun 4, 7:29 PM

Zoroft said:
@Esquirtit

That's a strawman, I don't recall either of us saying this episode specifically had subtle character development? This was a payoff episode where all the emotions rose to the surface in a dire situation, I think there's a big difference there. Jean has been shown to have a strong moral compass from the beginning, it's why he chose to join the scouts. It's more emphasized in the manga but he had problems with the violent ways Levi handled things and has been wrestling with his morals vs his ability to the job done for awhile now. I think it's a bit new to see Mikasa get this emotional over someone other than Eren, shows that she has other things she deeply cares about, I don't see how crying loudly in that situation is over the top melodrama? Are you saying it was inappropriate there?

Well my bad, I thought you guys were talking about this particular episode too because we're in this episode discussion. I was late with watching this episode so I haven't read posts on every page and thread, I assumed you guys were talking about people who complained about this episode.

Thought I missed something this episode. Thank you for reminding me some of Jean's character because when I was watching I was like "why does he suddenly care about him again, wasn't he over this already". Now it makes more sense, tho I think having a problem with how Levi handled things is natural and doesn't tell that much about a character, either way, I forgot it. I did remember he had problems with killing humans in part 1, but again the anime didn't deal with it that much so I assumed he was over it, he took part vs Kenny squad the second time, this is the second time against Reiner and it came back.

Eh, it was always obvious that the second person she cares most about is Armin. Mikasa is always over the top melodrama to me, even when she's silent. Personally I don't have a problem with over the top melodrama in entertainment, it's just that I've always disliked Mikasa.

But no it wasn't inappropriate here, I meant that there always have been cases of over the top melodrama in AoT overall, not always, just occasionally. I just don't believe AoT handles its characters with that much quality so far compared to other anime I've seen. Like with Jean what's even the point if it's just only going to used in instances where the plot demands it for a twist. I guess this makes a big difference for anime vs manga.

Not a big deal and nothing more than my opinion, look forward to the rest. I will rewatch part 1 with an open mind because basement reveal is next episode.

Jun 4, 7:56 PM
@Esquirtit

I mean some people are more ok with offing people in their way than others, like Armin was able to shoot the girl who had her gun pointed at Jean instantly while Jean couldn't so that suggests a difference between Jean and Armin there. Jean cares more about the sake of others than anyone else in the series. I would suggest you read the manga for Season 3 part 1 instead of watching it, it's much better and you can see where the characters are coming from a lot better. Like Eren's guiilt about all the people who got killed to rescue him is established a lot more clearly, he didn't need Jean to come up to him to say something about it. The manga showed him looking at all the injured scouts being transported up the wall and you could see it in his eye, later he asks how many people are left. At that point he was having 2nd thoughts about his role, if he was worth the cost of all those lives. There's also Historia who couldn't believe she was left by her bff like that, and you could see where her talk of being tired of playing the good girl role came from. Eren and Historia also had some moments where they related to each other as Eren saw Historia was just as unsuure about what to do as he was.

While we knew Mikasa cared for Armin, I think here we got to see the extent that she does.

Jun 4, 8:49 PM
I do feel that reality was skewed to make the plot work in this episode though it's not impossible for a human to survive from being toasted and dropped 50 meters. It's just not likely. I do enjoy Armin as a character and despite being happy for his survival I do feel ticked off that his death was played off like that.

This series has a more realistic tone so telling us it's fantasy basically tells us that stakes are made up and complete bullshit. If it had a more cartoonish tone where bullshit like that was normal then no complaints could be made but with the amount of deaths that do make sense for one to not make sense is a mistake on the author's part.

I don't think Reiner's death was bullshit because it played more off the fantasy aspects of the series more than the real ones because let's face it, people can get burned and fall 50 meters in real life but no one has the ability to titan shift and shit in real life so the rules are up to the author.

This episode was good despite that though. If the author would have maybe made Armin's drop not as high then the problem fixed. Maybe he glided downwards and shit. The drama was good. The voice actors were fantastic. Other than the bullshit writing. The studio turned a mediocre scene from the manga and make it pretty good which I mean *clap clap*.

Jun 4, 8:55 PM

Finally, after many years, in the next episode we get to see The Basement.

Jun 4, 10:04 PM
Wow that was amazing. Now we get to see Cool shiz

Pages (14) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

Preview MangaManga Store