Forum Settings
Forums

Ask anything about Japan you found curious in anime.

New
Pages (16) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 4, 2019 2:14 AM

Mar 2008
StudyingEnglish said:

I really don't know why they do that in anime. I think it's the old show s that does it. I don't remember seeing those recently.

Yes it's unbelievably popular. Yes people will get surprised. I don't know why it's so popular though. It's not that fun listening to people sing and they'll force you to sing even though you say you don't want to. Playing sports and going to eat somewhere is more entertaining to me.

I can't think of an example but it still shows up sometimes.

I'm not sure I could say why it's popular either, because karaoke parlors as far as I am aware are not even a thing in the US so I have no reference of comparison. Only karaoke bars exist which are quite more embarassing being up on a stage in front of strangers (preferably while drunk) so that isn't something a majority of people would do in their life. It's more like something just certain people enjoy going to.
Jun 4, 2019 4:11 AM
Jul 2018
traed said:
StudyingEnglish said:

I really don't know why they do that in anime. I think it's the old show s that does it. I don't remember seeing those recently.

Yes it's unbelievably popular. Yes people will get surprised. I don't know why it's so popular though. It's not that fun listening to people sing and they'll force you to sing even though you say you don't want to. Playing sports and going to eat somewhere is more entertaining to me.

I can't think of an example but it still shows up sometimes.

I'm not sure I could say why it's popular either, because karaoke parlors as far as I am aware are not even a thing in the US so I have no reference of comparison. Only karaoke bars exist which are quite more embarassing being up on a stage in front of strangers (preferably while drunk) so that isn't something a majority of people would do in their life. It's more like something just certain people enjoy going to.

I wish it was like that here too. Karaoke is like a must here when you hang out with someone. You even go there with coworkers. It's pretty uncomfortable to live here if you don't like Karaoke.
Jun 4, 2019 5:08 AM

Mar 2019
StudyingEnglish said:
Sphinxter said:
Ah, and is it really actually considered rude to just use a bare first name without a honorific?

Another thing is that in sources one often reads that various parts of Japanse languages are absolutely gendered like say "boku" or "-kun" yet at least in media one often sees them being used in relationship to females from time to time as well. Does that occur in real life too to stick "-kun" behind the name of a female like that? What about say "ore" or "atasi"?

Bare first names are totally fine. You'll just be seen as a frank person. But not when you're an adult.

It would be weird to mix those up in real life. It's really quirky and it adds a lot of character, but it would be weird to normal people. Enjoy doing those between friends are totally fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pExUbdFk2_8#t=2m01

So from the perspective of a Japanese person this would be very strange to encounter in real-life and only happens in fiction or something?

The reason I ask I guess is because it stands out; there seems to be no particular humor or reason behind it and the teacher just seems to use "-kun" on a female naturally.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 4, 2019 6:19 AM

Jul 2017
Do people from other regions really hide the way they speak because of their dialect? There are many shows that show dialect stereotypes from the way they talk,act and etc. just like the famous Kansai Dialect which shows that are set in Tokyo. Does discrimination seriously happen because of the dialect differences, if so, is it common? Some characters are sometimes made fun because of their dialects that are portrayed as exaggerated stereotypes.

Once we realize it, everything will fall into place
Our hearts calling to the future with all their might
We'll move forward, holding each other's shaking hands
Jun 4, 2019 6:28 AM

Jan 2009
btw why anime has too much school settings especially high school? is this japanese obsession with high school reflect to the saying that high school is the best time of our lives? or is there any other japanese cultural reason for this?
Jun 4, 2019 6:35 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
StudyingEnglish said:

Bare first names are totally fine. You'll just be seen as a frank person. But not when you're an adult.

It would be weird to mix those up in real life. It's really quirky and it adds a lot of character, but it would be weird to normal people. Enjoy doing those between friends are totally fine.

So from the perspective of a Japanese person this would be very strange to encounter in real-life and only happens in fiction or something?

The reason I ask I guess is because it stands out; there seems to be no particular humor or reason behind it and the teacher just seems to use "-kun" on a female naturally.

Ohh. This is not weird actually. Kun is mosstly used to men but its actual purpose is to use it to people in lower positions like students. So a teacher using it to a student is normal. It's like a san used for people below you. It gives you a hint that the teacher is strict.
Jun 4, 2019 6:49 AM
Jul 2018
despairdoto said:
Do people from other regions really hide the way they speak because of their dialect? There are many shows that show dialect stereotypes from the way they talk,act and etc. just like the famous Kansai Dialect which shows that are set in Tokyo. Does discrimination seriously happen because of the dialect differences, if so, is it common? Some characters are sometimes made fun because of their dialects that are portrayed as exaggerated stereotypes.

Some people hides them but it's nothing serious. And people from Kansai doesn't hide their dialect, people from north east or south west, hides it. I don't know why they hide it since I'm from Kansai. Discrimination does not happen at all. Stereotypes are just jokes and people shouldn't take it serious. Do you have an example of those kind of scenes that discrimination happens because of a dialect? I'm curious.
Jun 4, 2019 7:06 AM

Jul 2017
StudyingEnglish said:
despairdoto said:

Some people hides them but it's nothing serious. And people from Kansai doesn't hide their dialect, people from north east or south west, hides it. I don't know why they hide it since I'm from Kansai. Discrimination does not happen at all. Stereotypes are just jokes and people shouldn't take it serious. Do you have an example of those kind of scenes that discrimination happens because of a dialect? I'm curious.

I totally get that showing of stereotypes are jokes. I understand that these jokes are light-hearted but I was just curious if discrimination of dialects happens the and if it is serious because from where I'm from there are actually discrimination of dialects and happens frequently. (and good to know that it does not happen there at all.) As I said, stereotype jokes are just for fun and I don't think any shows would discriminate a specific dialect(since it can cause trouble obviously), so I don't have examples of them.

Once we realize it, everything will fall into place
Our hearts calling to the future with all their might
We'll move forward, holding each other's shaking hands
Jun 4, 2019 7:09 AM

Mar 2019
StudyingEnglish said:
Sphinxter said:

Ohh. This is not weird actually. Kun is mosstly used to men but its actual purpose is to use it to people in lower positions like students. So a teacher using it to a student is normal. It's like a san used for people below you. It gives you a hint that the teacher is strict.

What about this case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDz-8ATvt6E#t=0m52

I'm not entirely sure here since I only understand shards of Japanese at times but this character seems to use "boku" to refer to himself whilst clearly being female but I'm not sure. Is the character actually using "boku" and is it normal to do that at the age the character is supposed to be or is that super weird and would not easily occur in real life?

Also, I recall a song by Ayumi Hamasaki (a female singer) repeatedly using "boku" in first person:

http://www.globemoon.net/waftf/nagao/other-works/ayu/lyrics/ayu__independent_trans.html

Is using "boku" in this case an artistic stylistic choice that would not occur in daily speech for a female or is there some specific context to it?

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 4, 2019 7:19 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
btw why anime has too much school settings especially high school? is this japanese obsession with high school reflect to the saying that high school is the best time of our lives? or is there any other japanese cultural reason for this?

It's because the audience are young. It's the easiest time to write growth as well. And the explanation for the settings is much more easier. I mean who doesn't like kids working hard? lol There are a lot of mature mangas though. It doesn't get animated because of the audience rate. It's gonna be too calm and quiet that reading it is gonna be enough.
Those slice of life moe anime are different. Real life is enough for serious shit and people doesn't want to see adults in their anime I think. I should stop watching anime lol
Jun 4, 2019 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
StudyingEnglish said:

I'm not entirely sure here since I only understand shards of Japanese at times but this character seems to use "boku" to refer to himself whilst clearly being female but I'm not sure. Is the character actually using "boku" and is it normal to do that at the age the character is supposed to be or is that super weird and would not easily occur in real life?

Also, I recall a song by Ayumi Hamasaki (a female singer) repeatedly using "boku" in first person:

http://www.globemoon.net/waftf/nagao/other-works/ayu/lyrics/ayu__independent_trans.html

Is using "boku" in this case an artistic stylistic choice that would not occur in daily speech for a female or is there some specific context to it?

Yeah this would be weird in real life but it works in anime.

I think this is a about someone else and boku gives an Ayu is singing it in someones place type feel. I might be wrong.

Jun 4, 2019 7:41 AM

Mar 2019
StudyingEnglish said:
Sphinxter said:

I think this is a about someone else and boku gives an Ayu is singing it in someones place type feel. I might be wrong.

Ahh, so in your opinion a lot of the language and speech mannerisms used in these types of TV shows are very different from what would be used in real life?

Like if so do you have some prominent examples of things that are common in the language or social interactions in these shows that would absolutely be very strange in real-life interactions in Japan?

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 4, 2019 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
StudyingEnglish said:

Ahh, so in your opinion a lot of the language and speech mannerisms used in these types of TV shows are very different from what would be used in real life?

Like if so do you have some prominent examples of things that are common in the language or social interactions in these shows that would absolutely be very strange in real-life interactions in Japan?

Yes it's very different.

Female characters in shounen anime, male characters in shoujo anime, would be really weird in real life. Those are dream characters but it wont work in real life. I think that's why live action movies are bad. How they act and speak, it's just not real even if they have realistic character designs. Also those overly done deres. No one reacts like that. Some shows does a good job with deres but most of them would be just weird in real life.
Jun 4, 2019 8:17 AM

Mar 2019
StudyingEnglish said:
Sphinxter said:

Yes it's very different.

Female characters in shounen anime, male characters in shoujo anime, would be really weird in real life. Those are dream characters but it wont work in real life. I think that's why live action movies are bad. How they act and speak, it's just not real even if they have realistic character designs. Also those overly done deres. No one reacts like that. Some shows does a good job with deres but most of them would be just weird in real life.
Quite — it's an considerable thing that animation allows one to more easily detach oneself from reality. I've noticed that often the voices of animated works don't sound at all like how real humans talk in any language I speak.

Having said that though I found this subject interesting (I in fact did not consider it before this topic and was just thinking of something to ask) and I did some digging on the internet about it:

It seems that the internet has a very diverse opinion of this subject with many in Japan having very different opinions on how common it is and how weird it sounds for a female to use "boku":

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070914165742AAGcBqc

https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-impression-does-a-girl-or-woman-give-off-when-she-uses-boku-%E5%83%95-or-another-masculine-personal-pronoun-to-refer-to-herself

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/743074

Regardless of the disagreement of frequency all seem to agree that it is indeed a relatively new phaenomenon for females to use "boku".

Given the varied responses I would assume that it really differs from area to area.

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 4, 2019 8:24 AM

Jan 2009
StudyingEnglish said:
I don't know. Learning a third language is very rare in Japan. You do learn a third language in Universities, but I heard that most of the people just does it to graduate.
Sounds familiar to here, except we are already expected to choose our mandatory 2nd foreign language in middle school.

StudyingEnglish said:
Does that mean how important good hand writing is? Good hand writing is not necessary, but it shows how well raised you are and bad hand writing is pretty embarrassing.
Yes, that's exactly what I've wanted to know^^
Does that "embarrassing" also apply to males? Because over here, it may be at most seen a bit unwomanly if a girl/woman doesn't have a well-readable handwriting, but I wouldn't say that there would be any remarks about the status from the hand-writing alone. If anything, then the style (choice of words) would have a much higher effect. Also, while writing in a good hand-writing is trained in grade school and lower secondary school classes (the latter start from 5th grade over here), as long as it's readable, there aren't any penalties.

StudyingEnglish said:
It's very easy. And you can't call yourself an otaku if you can't tell who the voice actor/actress is. You'll be considered an anime lover.
I may be able to hear out for me easily distinguishable voices like Kugimiya Rie (when she has her typical Tsundere voice) or Noto Mamiko, but I'm not as much into Anime that I would look up every voice actor for every character. If there is a character I like, I will look up the respective Seiyū.

Anyway, thanks for answering all my questions so far, but the last talk about Otaku made me think of something else to ask: how common is the archetype of an Otaku in Japan, where people are so much into their interests or even hobbies that they know lots about them? Also, aside from Anime, (tv)shows/movies and (video) games, what are the most common objects for Otaku and what is the most unusual type of Otaku you have heard about?
Jun 4, 2019 8:45 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
StudyingEnglish said:

Yes it's very different.

Quite — it's an considerable thing that animation allows one to more easily detach oneself from reality. I've noticed that often the voices of animated works don't sound at all like how real humans talk in any language I speak.

Having said that though I found this subject interesting (I in fact did not consider it before this topic and was just thinking of something to ask) and I did some digging on the internet about it:

It seems that the internet has a very diverse opinion of this subject with many in Japan having very different opinions on how common it is and how weird it sounds for a female to use "boku":

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070914165742AAGcBqc

https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-impression-does-a-girl-or-woman-give-off-when-she-uses-boku-%E5%83%95-or-another-masculine-personal-pronoun-to-refer-to-herself

https://hinative.com/en-US/questions/743074

Regardless of the disagreement of frequency all seem to agree that it is indeed a relatively new phaenomenon for females to use "boku".

Given the varied responses I would assume that it really differs from area to area.

Wow this is very interesting lol I really have no idea where all these people find girls using boku. I mean there are people like that(it is a fashion thing and they are most likely an otaku), but it is definitely considered weird and there are so few of them.
Jun 4, 2019 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
Noboru said:
StudyingEnglish said:
I don't know. Learning a third language is very rare in Japan. You do learn a third language in Universities, but I heard that most of the people just does it to graduate.
Sounds familiar to here, except we are already expected to choose our mandatory 2nd foreign language in middle school.

StudyingEnglish said:
Does that mean how important good hand writing is? Good hand writing is not necessary, but it shows how well raised you are and bad hand writing is pretty embarrassing.
Does that "embarrassing" also apply to males? Because over here, it may be at most seen a bit unwomanly if a girl/woman doesn't have a well-readable handwriting, but I wouldn't say that there would be any remarks about the status from the hand-writing alone. If anything, then the style (choice of words) would have a much higher effect. Also, while writing in a good hand-writing is trained in grade school and lower secondary school classes (the latter start from 5th grade over here), as long as it's readable, there aren't any penalties.

StudyingEnglish said:
It's very easy. And you can't call yourself an otaku if you can't tell who the voice actor/actress is. You'll be considered an anime lover.
I may be able to hear out for me easily distinguishable voices like Kugimiya Rie (when she has her typical Tsundere voice) or Noto Mamiko, but I'm not as much into Anime that I would look up every voice actor for every character. If there is a character I like, I will look up the respective Seiyū.

Anyway, thanks for answering all my questions so far, but the last talk about Otaku made me think of something else to ask: how common is the archetype of an Otaku in Japan, where people are so much into their interests or even hobbies that they know lots about them? Also, aside from Anime, (tv)shows/movies and (video) games, what are the most common objects for Otaku and what is the most unusual type of Otaku you have heard about?

Thank you for asking me a lot of questions too, it really helps with learning English :)
I'm sorry I couldn't fully understand the question. Does that mean "How common is it being an otaku of something?", or "How common the word otaku is in Japan?" or is it neither lol Being an otaku is pretty common these days. Idols, trains, camera, electronics, anime, and a lot more. So the word otaku is well known that it could be common sense now. The most common besides anime would be either an Idol otaku or a train otaku. The most unusual kind of otaku I've heard would be the "used text book otaku". They collect used text books and enjoy the previous owners memos and stuff.
Jun 4, 2019 5:40 PM

Mar 2019
StudyingEnglish said:
Noboru said:

Thank you for asking me a lot of questions too, it really helps with learning English :)
I'm sorry I couldn't fully understand the question. Does that mean "How common is it being an otaku of something?", or "How common the word otaku is in Japan?" or is it neither lol Being an otaku is pretty common these days. Idols, trains, camera, electronics, anime, and a lot more. So the word otaku is well known that it could be common sense now. The most common besides anime would be either an Idol otaku or a train otaku. The most unusual kind of otaku I've heard would be the "used text book otaku". They collect used text books and enjoy the previous owners memos and stuff.
I remember when I was watching Imo-Imo and realized that one of the characters was voiced by the same actor as Arasi Nikaidou in OniAi (my taste isn't completely dubious, purely a coincidence) and then I went to look up the name and to my shock realized it was the same voice as Rin Kokonoe (Okay, it is completely dubious)

But in those first two cases the voice sounded fairly similar but Rin Kokonoe sounds completely different except for the recurring theme that all the three characters are sexually harassing hypersexuals so I really wonder if the Japanese can really here that these two share the same voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6UhuDgPHxE#t=5m11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABFRVwCQ6Ng#t=3m37

Also it somewhat pulls me out if I recognize that it's the same voice as another character I guess.

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 4, 2019 9:01 PM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
StudyingEnglish said:

I remember when I was watching Imo-Imo and realized that one of the characters was voiced by the same actor as Arasi Nikaidou in OniAi (my taste isn't completely dubious, purely a coincidence) and then I went to look up the name and to my shock realized it was the same voice as Rin Kokonoe (Okay, it is completely dubious)

But in those first two cases the voice sounded fairly similar but Rin Kokonoe sounds completely different except for the recurring theme that all the three characters are sexually harassing hypersexuals so I really wonder if the Japanese can really here that these two share the same voice:

Also it somewhat pulls me out if I recognize that it's the same voice as another character I guess.

I love Kitamura Eri so this one was easy for me. It's not really the voice I pay attention to identify the actors, it's how they speak and pronounce. Every one has their own acting style which would be their selling point.
For example, with Kitamura Emi, in the first video when she say "Himenokoji Akito's sister complex is"/ "Himenokoji Akito ga sisucon datte koto wa", you can tell it's her from how she propnounce "wa".
In the second video, when she say "haaaaai", that's like her most famous voice she has. I couldn't tell it was her until the "haaaaai" though. That's great acting.
Voice actresses that surprised me was Amamiya Sora and Tomatsu Haruka. These two can act completely differently between characters.
Jun 4, 2019 9:03 PM

Oct 2011
Where is the nearest panty vending machine from there.
Jun 4, 2019 9:29 PM

Mar 2019
StudyingEnglish said:
Sphinxter said:

I love Kitamura Eri so this one was easy for me. It's not really the voice I pay attention to identify the actors, it's how they speak and pronounce. Every one has their own acting style which would be their selling point.
For example, with Kitamura Emi, in the first video when she say "Himenokoji Akito's sister complex is"/ "Himenokoji Akito ga sisucon datte koto wa", you can tell it's her from how she propnounce "wa".
In the second video, when she say "haaaaai", that's like her most famous voice she has. I couldn't tell it was her until the "haaaaai" though. That's great acting.
Voice actresses that surprised me was Amamiya Sora and Tomatsu Haruka. These two can act completely differently between characters.
So what if an actor purposefully warps his voice to act out a character of a different age or sex as is quite common? Do these cues (that I assuredly cannot hear) remain in that case?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnawBFhNIu8

Like this actor seems to have quite the range going through all sorts of genders and age groups and the male voices sound convincingly male to me.

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 4, 2019 10:46 PM
Jul 2018
iasuru said:
Where is the nearest panty vending machine from there.

What is that lol I've never seen any.
Jun 4, 2019 11:04 PM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
StudyingEnglish said:

So what if an actor purposefully warps his voice to act out a character of a different age or sex as is quite common? Do these cues (that I assuredly cannot hear) remain in that case?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnawBFhNIu8

Like this actor seems to have quite the range going through all sorts of genders and age groups and the male voices sound convincingly male to me.

Yeah she's very good at making differences too lol I couldn't tell who Armin's voice actress was the first time, but you can tell it's a female voice. Her acting and dubbing is the only reason it still sounds natural. It's called a shota voice in Japan.
removed-userJun 4, 2019 11:08 PM
Jun 5, 2019 6:45 AM

Jan 2013
How common is cigarette smoking in high school?
Also, how strong is the weed culture in Japan
One more, do delinquents like in anime still exist
Jun 5, 2019 9:45 AM
Jul 2018
Klad said:
How common is cigarette smoking in high school?
Also, how strong is the weed culture in Japan
One more, do delinquents like in anime still exist

Not common at all. There are students that smoke, but I don't think they smoke at school.
I have no idea. I've never heard about them around me at least.
I assume you're talking about those delinquents with weird hair and weird school uniforms. They don't exist any more. Delinquents still exists, but their nothing like what it used to be.
Jun 5, 2019 7:05 PM

Mar 2019
Is it by the way really that common in Japan for relatives and same-sex members to take baths to together and be naked around each other all the while it being taboo to as much as wash the underwear of a member of the opposite sex or change clothes in the same room?

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 6, 2019 1:16 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
Is it by the way really that common in Japan for relatives and same-sex members to take baths to together and be naked around each other all the while it being taboo to as much as wash the underwear of a member of the opposite sex or change clothes in the same room?
It's very common to take baths together. But I'm not sure about the underwear thing. I don't think the underwear thing is common, I've never heard of it at least. Is it not a comedy thing?
Jun 6, 2019 7:37 AM

Feb 2015
Is riding the Shinkansen expensive? How far would a 10,000 yen take someone?

Are fax machines still going strong after years it fell out of use in most countries?

How common are incidents of groping (chikan)? Seems Japan is still struggling with this problem as far as the news there can tell.

Has the teaching of the English subject improved? By that, I mean not relying too much on rote memorization, filling up the blanks and shit, but actually putting it to use through writing or speaking to better the fluency.

Jun 6, 2019 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
you wanna meet up in japan? ill be in mitaka if youre anywhere near
Jun 6, 2019 7:54 AM

Jun 2010
Why do you nosebleed all the time, like Sanji almost died from it leaving Chopper panicking?
Jun 6, 2019 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
ProGoddess said:
Why do you nosebleed all the time, like Sanji almost died from it leaving Chopper panicking?

i know you are joking, but they actually tested to see if guys would nosebleed from seeing girls in awkward situations. as you would expect, they didnt. they also tested things like trying to knock down a secured door (that didnt work) and trying to replicate the "wind effect" (a wind that comes out of nowhere and causes the skirt to lift) - that didnt work until they used an actual car.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 6, 2019 7:58 AM

Dec 2018
How good is the vending machine coffee?

Why do the interiors look so neat and clean? Seriously compared to any western household literally everything seems packed into closets and drawers and such, can't help but be impressed as to how they live like that.
Jun 6, 2019 11:55 AM
Jul 2018
skeletalz said:
How good is the vending machine coffee?

dude the vending machine coffees and stuff are so good, some are just a little on the small side, but they're like 130¥ which isnt that much
Jun 6, 2019 12:19 PM

Dec 2018
xMx16 said:
dude the vending machine coffees and stuff are so good, some are just a little on the small side, but they're like 130¥ which isnt that much

Damn canned coffee is such a niche item here at like 2,75 € (335 yen) for a 330 ml can of basic sugar laced coffee and you can't even find it in most stores. That's more expensive than what you'd get hot at a cafe. Haven't tried it for those reasons.
Jun 6, 2019 12:30 PM

Jan 2009
StudyingEnglish said:

I'm sorry I couldn't fully understand the question. Does that mean "How common is it being an otaku of something?", or "How common the word otaku is in Japan?"
You're welcome, too :)
No, you have perfectly understood and answered my question; having a thing for trains is not that uncommon even over here just too bad that we don't have the Transrapid much in use
lmao; collecting used books for the scribbles; that's a new one for me x'DD

btw.: I second that Kitamura Eri is a great voice actress

Oh and speaking of which: do people in Japan and/or you say more "miruku" or rather "gyūnyū"?
Jun 6, 2019 1:36 PM

Mar 2019
Kind of an different question but I notice that in most animes, when they show a guys' porn collection or male characters talk about trading porn, even in recent animes like from the early 2010s show them using magazines/manga.

In the US. I've never met anybody who still uses magazines. Everyone has gone over to internet porn. So I was wondering, are magazines/manga still used most of the time for porn or have most Japanese gone to the internet as well?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 6, 2019 2:13 PM

Sep 2016
Do people have bentos like the ones you see in anime, or do they just have plain snacks?
What's your favourite Japanese food and why? What's your favourite drink and why?

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Jun 6, 2019 4:32 PM

Oct 2017
are they two dimensional over there or are they actual people
Jun 7, 2019 12:36 AM

Sep 2018
Is the gyaru trend still popular? Not to the extreme types, but the light ones.
Jun 7, 2019 4:34 AM

Jul 2013
I'm currently in Japan, landed in Narita earlier today and as we are passing through Tokyo I've seen some school girls with really short skirts. That's kinda weird in a good way I guess. And I'm watching tv right now, some weird commercials here lol, a dancing cat? And even One Piece only the artstyle is not Oda's and Zoro and Luffy were in love with each other or something not sure but they're definitely promoting cup noodles lolol what's up with that
Jun 7, 2019 10:12 AM
Jul 2018
Konradikon said:
Is riding the Shinkansen expensive? How far would a 10,000 yen take someone?
Are fax machines still going strong after years it fell out of use in most countries?
ggling with this problem as far as the news there can tell.
Has the teaching of the English subject improved? By that, I mean not relying too much on rote memorization, filling up the blanks and shit, but actually putting it to use through writing or speaking to better the fluency.
Not that much, 10000 yen will take you to Nagoya from Tokyo which is about 350 km.

I don't work yet so I don't know. But I saw one at a hospital so maybe?

That's Tokyo so I don't know the reality. I'm starting feel bad because a lot of you seems to be curious about Tokyo and I can't answer.

No. It's still bad. It's all just for exams and they don't give a damn.
Jun 7, 2019 10:23 AM
Jul 2018
DreamingBeats said:
ProGoddess said:

i know you are joking, but they actually tested to see if guys would nosebleed from seeing girls in awkward situations. as you would expect, they didnt. they also tested things like trying to knock down a secured door (that didnt work) and trying to replicate the "wind effect" (a wind that comes out of nowhere and causes the skirt to lift) - that didnt work until they used an actual car.
Did you watch "Suiyoubi no Down Town"? lol I watched that episode.
Jun 7, 2019 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
Noboru said:
StudyingEnglish said:

I'm sorry I couldn't fully understand the question. Does that mean "How common is it being an otaku of something?", or "How common the word otaku is in Japan?"
You're welcome, too :)
No, you have perfectly understood and answered my question; having a thing for trains is not that uncommon even over here just too bad that we don't have the Transrapid much in use
lmao; collecting used books for the scribbles; that's a new one for me x'DD

btw.: I second that Kitamura Eri is a great voice actress

Oh and speaking of which: do people in Japan and/or you say more "miruku" or rather "gyūnyū"?
We say "gyunyu". "Miruku" is used to describe milk for babies.
Jun 7, 2019 10:29 AM
Jul 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
Kind of an different question but I notice that in most animes, when they show a guys' porn collection or male characters talk about trading porn, even in recent animes like from the early 2010s show them using magazines/manga.

In the US. I've never met anybody who still uses magazines. Everyone has gone over to internet porn. So I was wondering, are magazines/manga still used most of the time for porn or have most Japanese gone to the internet as well?
That doesn't happen anymore. We use internet too. I think it's a "good old days" type of thing the authors can't forget.
Jun 7, 2019 10:46 AM
Jul 2018
TuryuriOwO said:
Do people have bentos like the ones you see in anime, or do they just have plain snacks?
What's your favourite Japanese food and why? What's your favourite drink and why?
We have bentos just like in anime. It's either you bring bentos or money.

Yakitori, and Oyakodon. They're just delicious.

Fanta orange. Or is my favorite drink in Japan? That would be GunGunGurt.
Jun 7, 2019 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
keeteezy said:
Is the gyaru trend still popular? Not to the extreme types, but the light ones.
I still see them but the Korean make up? is very popular right now so I wouldn't say it's popular anymore.
Jun 7, 2019 10:53 AM

Nov 2016
Do classmates really take time to call each other by their given names and talk to each other casually?

dragons and legends.
it would have been difficult for
any man not to want to fight
beside a dragon.
Jun 7, 2019 10:59 AM

Mar 2019
So how much is real life in Japan laden with incestuous subtext between siblings? In media terms like sisukon seem to be thrown around rather casually but I gather from context that sisukon and burakon don't imply incestuous feelings per se but just a level of attachment to one's sibling that is considered excessive or obsessive?

Like does this actually occur in Japan that friends casually and casually accuse a friend of being a siscon and if so does it imply there's incestuous feelings going on?

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 7, 2019 11:05 AM

Nov 2011
StudyingEnglish said:
DreamingBeats said:

Did you watch "Suiyoubi no Down Town"? lol I watched that episode.

its been a while, and found that episode on youtube. i still remember the door scene. it went something like this
*a guy comes slamming a secure, residential door* it does this several times to no avail.
何すんだ!ドアが壊すだろうが。
壊しに来たんだ!
the guy then looked confused lol. (they did have permission to do this for anyone else reading)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 7, 2019 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
PrimeX said:
I'm currently in Japan, landed in Narita earlier today and as we are passing through Tokyo I've seen some school girls with really short skirts. That's kinda weird in a good way I guess. And I'm watching tv right now, some weird commercials here lol, a dancing cat? And even One Piece only the artstyle is not Oda's and Zoro and Luffy were in love with each other or something not sure but they're definitely promoting cup noodles lolol what's up with that
Those girls need to stop. Oh my god I hate that commercial lol Nissin always make those weird commercials and they seem to be collaborating with Shueisha right now.
Pages (16) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I'm a coomer, but the important question is...

LenRea - 6 hours ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 11 hours ago

20 by Zarutaku »»
22 minutes ago

» For everyone who has signed up to this site using Protonmail, and doesn't use that address for anything else

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
31 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - 7 hours ago

11 by vasipi4946 »»
1 hour ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 4 hours ago

0 by _Nette_ »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.